The Kelly Marie Tran Appreciation Thread

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Kelly Marie Tran Appreciation Thread

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 23 Aug - 15:39

Darth Dingbat wrote:The friend who posted that thing about KMT's role being groundbreaking for Asian American actresses posted this cute recent photo of Kelly Smile Good to see the Space Bear cap lives on! Razz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJEmS5dAeYv/?taken-by=chibirdfreebird
@Darth Dingbat

That was a lovely message her friend wrote in the description!

Man every time a new pic of Kelly comes out, my curiosity about her character comes back in full! Any new personal theories on what her character might be and her relationship with Finn will entail?
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 23 Aug - 15:48

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:The friend who posted that thing about KMT's role being groundbreaking for Asian American actresses posted this cute recent photo of Kelly Smile Good to see the Space Bear cap lives on! Razz

@Darth Dingbat

Man every time a new pic of Kelly comes out, my curiosity about her character comes back in full! Any new personal theories on what her character might be and her relationship with Finn will entail?
@AppleCrumble122

kelly's going to win hearts including antis.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 23 Aug - 15:50

vaderito wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@AppleCrumble122

kelly's going to win hearts including antis.
@vaderito

I'm not sure why, but for some reason, I can imagine her character becoming eventually the next Mon Mothma at the end of this trilogy? Some people say that's going to be Poe's role, but I can't really see him being that... Considering Finn's plot is going to be more political/Resistance and FO-centered, Finn and Poe being the action guys, I can see Tran being an action girl but also the politically-involved character...
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 23 Aug - 15:52

AppleCrumble122 wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@AppleCrumble122

Beyond being likely a Resistance member (because of her khaki clothes) and likely Finn's LI (for obvious reasons) and kicking a** (because of all the training + stunt double)? No idea.

But I do have a headcanon that's dependent on (a) Dubrovnik being Onderon, and (b) the space horse being a tee-muss. If she knows how to ride a tee-muss, that might imply she's a native of Onderon. But any theories I have developed from that get perhaps a bit too close to the Naddist cult and the Freedon Nadd uprising in the EU. In other words, I tend to imagine that there's a Dark Side king in Onderon who's connected to the FO somehow, and KMT's character would be a local agent. Maybe even a local rebel leader of some kind, who knows.

But like I said, these headcanons are based on pretty much nothing, with scattered EU elements. Razz
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 23 Aug - 16:39

Interesting theories here guys! One of my theories is actually similar to yours @Darth Dingbat. If BDT is Prana and indeed the King of Dubrovnik, I reckon she could be an employee for him. Maybe an information broker or something? I dunno why, but I think this because of how skilled her stunt double is and I actually wonder if she might be similar to Rey, in the fact that she's a tough orphan forced to survive on her own (hence her skills) and forced to work for BDT like Rey was for Unkar Plutt - except their relationship isn't as antagonistic. But yeah I don't think it'll happen as it is too similar to Rey's backstory.

@Irina de France Hmm... I don't know, I think I'm gonna disagree and say that Poe will be the political person, simply because if Leia is taken out and he's forced into her role it would be a real challenge for him as I can't see him playing politics like you. It would be interesting to see him struggle with it.

Anyone else wonder how her and Finn's romance will go? I've wondered in the past if it will be a sweet and fluffy one, but considering past SW romances I now don't think it will be the case. Anyone else think KMT will take issue with Finn because of his FO ties?
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 23 Aug - 16:59

AppleCrumble122 wrote:Interesting theories here guys! One of my theories is actually similar to yours @Darth Dingbat. If BDT is Prana and indeed the King of Dubrovnik, I reckon she could be an employee for him. Maybe an information broker or something? I dunno why, but I think this because of how skilled her stunt double is and I actually wonder if she might be similar to Rey, in the fact that she's a tough orphan forced to survive on her own (hence her skills) and forced to work for BDT like Rey was for Unkar Plutt - except their relationship isn't as antagonistic. But yeah I don't think it'll happen as it is too similar to Rey's backstory.

@Irina de France Hmm... I don't know, I think I'm gonna disagree and say that Poe will be the political person, simply because if Leia is taken out and he's forced into her role it would be a real challenge for him as I can't see him playing politics like you. It would be interesting to see him struggle with it.

Anyone else wonder how her and Finn's romance will go? I've wondered in the past if it will be a sweet and fluffy one, but considering past SW romances I now don't think it will be the case. Anyone else think KMT will take issue with Finn because of his FO ties?
@AppleCrumble122

Finntran is going to be real romance with immediate tension, obstacles, etc. Everything that makes a romance. You'll see. JB said that Finn is going to be much less comical in VIII so don't expect romance with KMT to be played for laughs either.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 23 Aug - 17:10

vaderito wrote:Finntran is going to be real romance with immediate tension, obstacles, etc. Everything that makes a romance. You'll see. JB said that Finn is going to be much less comical in VIII so don't expect romance with KMT to be played for laughs either.

@vaderito Oh I definitely don't expect it to be played for laughs, never have. I just originally thought it might be a cute one to contrast it to the Reylo one, but re-analyzing the romances in SW, from Han/Leia to Anakin/Padme to Luke/Mara etc, most, if not all of them have immediate tension and obstacles. While it probably won't be on the Luke/Mara, Quinlan/Asajj level (that will be Reylo) I can see it being similar to Han/Leia in some retrospects, with maybe the two disliking each other or having a problem with one another while working together. Heck, I can see this applying to Jyn/Cassian in Rogue One as well.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 23 Aug - 17:20

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
vaderito wrote:Finntran is going to be real romance with immediate tension, obstacles, etc. Everything that makes a romance. You'll see. JB said that Finn is going to be much less comical in VIII so don't expect romance with KMT to be played for laughs either.

@vaderito Oh I definitely don't expect it to be played for laughs, never have. I just originally thought it might be a cute one to contrast it to the Reylo one, but re-analyzing the romances in SW, from Han/Leia to Anakin/Padme to Luke/Mara etc, most, if not all of them have immediate tension and obstacles. While it probably won't be on the Luke/Mara, Quinlan/Asajj level (that will be Reylo) I can see it being similar to Han/Leia in some retrospects, with maybe the two disliking each other or having a problem with one another while working together. Heck, I can see this applying to Jyn/Cassian in Rogue One as well.
@AppleCrumble122

I agree. I do think Reylo and FinnTran will be very different in tone; it makes no sense to have two similar romances in the same films. But there will have to be tension aplenty and emotional stakes. To do otherwise would sell Finn and KMT's character short. And to make Reylo an overly serious romance in comparison would also sell Rey and Kylo short, as it would make FinnTran a lot more fun to watch. I'm sure striking the right balance can be tricky.

Anyway, I suspect the kind of snarking that's going to leave no doubt in anybody's mind that some major sparks are flying between these characters. No cutesy FinnRey stuff.

Hmm, I do feel Jyn/Cassian are going to be a couple (though at the same time I have a sneaking suspicion at least Jyn is going to die), but I got no sense from the clips of them disliking each other...
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 23 Aug - 18:47

I actually think @Darth Dingbat could be onto something when it comes to space horse being a clue to the identity of KMT....but my take is a little different....though Finn and the KMT character are riding a Tee-Mus, KMT's character could even be from Naboo, which is the home of many equine species and the normal mode of transport for royals.... I even have a potential parent for KMT's character if this is the case.... Sosha Soruna, the Queen of Naboo at the time of the battle of Endor. Sosha Soruna was a good pilot, knew both Leia and Shara Bey (Poe's mother), and the three of them flew and defended Naboo from the Empire till the rebels arrived to help. This could give a background context to KMT being part of the resistance and it also gives Finn's character a fairy tale story, princess included. Very Happy

I also agree with @AppleCrumble122 that Poe will end up taking over from Leia as leader of the resistance.... he is already a commander in the resistance and in the tie-in novels and comics, they have shown him to be a good strategist, albeit a bit hot headed (something he needs to overcome)....I want Finn and KMT to be the action oriented types- fighting the bad guys and liberating the defecting stormies.... Smile

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 23 Aug - 19:28

@panki Pankipedia strikes again! cheers cheers cheers

That was a great lesson!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 23 Aug - 19:40

That's a great guess, @panki! Her mother's connection to Leia and Shara would bring her to the Resistance inner circle, and that background would give her some instant mystique (though I guess there's a risk that there are too many princesses in SW already Laughing ).

One problem might be, though, that Shattered Empire II came out in October 2015, when KMT wasn't even cast yet (if we go by the friend and the agent whose words seem to imply the casting decision came in early December). Unless they were specifically looking for an Asian or half-Asian actress. We'll see...
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 2 Sep - 7:28

I don't think I've seen these two humour clips before (the first one has a lot of Kelly):

And here, a very short clip of Kelly singing 'Twinkle Twinkle' (intentionally) poorly Razz It's among the group of auditioners that starts around 9:30:

Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 2 Sep - 11:06

Holy sith, what a career trajectory for KMT! She has basically done only College Humor before Star Wars. That's a huge deal cause whatever she's shown at the auditions (with and without JB) has blown away Rian, etc enough to give her the part over more experienced actresses. She's beyond adorable. Can't wait for her proper introduction.

Also, she'll be in Finn books, mark my words.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 2 Sep - 18:52

vaderito wrote:Holy sith, what a career trajectory for KMT! She has basically done only College Humor before Star Wars. That's a huge deal cause whatever she's shown at the auditions (with and without JB) has blown away Rian, etc enough to give her the part over more experienced actresses. She's beyond adorable. Can't wait for her proper introduction.

@vaderito

I agree. They must have found her absolutely perfect for the role, and that makes me look forward to VIII all the more.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm a fan of hers already. I just find something immensely likeable and charming about her presence.

Honestly, the SW cast is basically full of people I'd love to be friends with (in an alternative universe where I get to hang out with famous people instead of reading books and eating pizza on a Friday night...).
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Fri 2 Sep - 18:54

Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:Holy sith, what a career trajectory for KMT! She has basically done only College Humor before Star Wars. That's a huge deal cause whatever she's shown at the auditions (with and without JB) has blown away Rian, etc enough to give her the part over more experienced actresses. She's beyond adorable. Can't wait for her proper introduction.

@vaderito

I agree. They must have found her absolutely perfect for the role, and that makes me look forward to VIII all the more.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm a fan of hers already. I just find something immensely likeable and charming about her presence.

Honestly, the SW cast is basically full of people I'd love to be friends with (in an alternative universe where I get to hang out with famous people instead of reading books and eating pizza on a Friday night...).
@Darth Dingbat

They casted a bunch of nerds for the ST, I'm telling ya. What did we do to deserve this...
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 2 Sep - 18:59

Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

Totally. I cna't wait form them to reveal her character name and closer look. We know she'll be wearing a pony tail and Resistance uniform but that was still Jennifer Li, not Kelly.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 2 Sep - 19:28

Darth Dingbat wrote:

@vaderito

@Darth Dingbat

Honestly, having grown up in San Diego (where KMT is from), and seeing the various social media posts from her friends, it's like looking back through a time machine back to when I was her age. "Hey! I went to a wedding there" (in reaction to a pic that appeared to be her and her friends attending a wedding). "Hey! I've been hiking there a bunch of times (from recent photo at Torrey Pines state park)--I know exactly where they took that photo!".

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 2 Sep - 19:31

@ISeeAnIsland That's awesome! Very Happy
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Fri 2 Sep - 19:56

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:

@vaderito

@Darth Dingbat

Honestly, having grown up in San Diego (where KMT is from), and seeing the various social media posts from her friends, it's like looking back through a time machine back to when I was her age. "Hey! I went to a wedding there" (in reaction to a pic that appeared to be her and her friends attending a wedding). "Hey! I've been hiking there a bunch of times (from recent photo at Torrey Pines state park)--I know exactly where they took that photo!".

@ISeeAnIsland

I've been hiking at Torrey Pines a few times too! I really miss that area of the country. It's gorgeous.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 16 Sep - 1:02

I don't know if @Darth Dingbat already posted this but Kelly has  a great voice:

and this is her channel with 2 more songs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpIh0iyrKDW2RnZEfrnfAkA
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Fri 16 Sep - 1:25

She has a lovely voice! Now I'm still hoping for at least one song featuring some of the cast members since so many of them are good singers.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 16 Sep - 12:35

I noticed increase is new KMT publicity photos on the Net. Don't know who's putting them up but here are the ones that I haven't seen 2 months ago:

This one is wallpaper size:

http://www.wallpapersxl.com/wallpapers/3840x5760/kelly-tran-images/1447731/kelly-tran-images-kmt-1447731.2.jpg

As you can see, they are w/o her signature big glasses. I guess there's interest in her so someone is putting up photos that show her the closest to what she'll look in Ep VIII. But yeah, that's interesting. We may be coming pretty close to her character name and look reveal (though we've seen Jennifer Li standing in for KMT  from behind and profile in Dubrovnik). We know she'll have  a ponytail. Some clever Photoshopper should make a Finntran poster.  Twisted Evil
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 29 Sep - 19:38

Something just struck me- what if KMT's character is related to Admiral Statura? Maybe she isn't allowed to participate in field missions but decides to rebel and run off with Finn on space horse. Admiral Statura comes from Garel which features a lot in SW Rebels and he participated in the battle of Endor as well.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 30 Sep - 6:56

panki wrote:Something just struck me- what if KMT's character is related to Admiral Statura? Maybe she isn't allowed to participate in field missions but decides to rebel and run off with Finn on space horse. Admiral Statura comes from Garel which features a lot in SW Rebels and he participated in the battle of Endor as well.

@panki

That's a really interesting thought! I could definitely see KMT's character being the sheltered daughter of a general who's eager to prove herself, as a nice contrast to Finn.

Last edited by Darth Dingbat on Fri 30 Sep - 17:59; edited 1 time in total
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Force Ghost on Fri 30 Sep - 8:03

@vaderito I'm working on finntran fan art, if that counts Smile
Force Ghost
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down