The Kelly Marie Tran Appreciation Thread

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Kelly Marie Tran Appreciation Thread

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:10 am

@panki wrote:I have a very crazy theory after reading about the Luke-Aphra comic crossover....the 5-comic story arc is supposed to be a "gothic horror" story, the first ever in the SW universe (canon or EU)....fear is a big part of this genre but so is romance.... especially when you have two attractive young people stuck together in a creepy looking castle.

In an interview, the creators of the series said this- And they go back and forth and they tease each other and, occasionally, they push each other’s buttons. But there’s an underlying similarity. They’ve both lost their families. They’ve both had completely different responses to the horror of the Star Wars universe, the big tragedy, and the push and pull of that is very much the heart of the book. But really, it’s just funny. It’s just fundamentally funny to see them go at each other.

Aphra is slightly older than Luke but if Leia could end up with someone ten years older and Padme could end up with a younger guy....then Luke having a romance with someone a bit older is also possible.

After the recent additions to the SW Databank, I'm sure Reylo is going to happen and with the rumors that Kylo is going to do something surprising, I'm sure he will be redeemed in episode 8 itself....so the theory I am about to post here doesn't worry me with regards to Kylo's future and return to the light side.

While it is too early to tell where this will go, what if KMT's character is Luke and Aphra's child? Here is why I see it as an interesting possibility:

1. In the EU, Luke had a son named Ben....so going by that logic, if he had a child, he would name the child after his mentor. But Leia named her son after Ben Kenobi which definitely reduces the chance of Luke having a son...but it doesn't exclude him having a daughter.

2. Both Luke and Leia are force sensitive but only Luke chose to be a jedi. Leia chose to follow her adopted father's path and pursue a political career. Similarly, Luke's child could have chosen not to be a jedi and maybe Leia's son is the stronger force sensitive of the two. It would be an inversion of the OT scenario. It also could imply that Ben wanted to be a jedi and wasn't packed off unwillingly to his uncle. Han could have said the - too much Vader remark because the force is something he isn't comfortable with. Maybe Han and Leia mentored other kids because they missed their son but they allowed him to follow his own dreams. So Han and Leia fans would be less upset as well.

3. We are told in canon material that Luke sacrificed a lot to re-establish the jedi order. Maybe he sacrificed a family life and was estranged from his wife and daughter. It would explain KMT's absence from episode 7. Aphra's mother took Aphra (when she was a child) and left her husband because he was a force worshiper and had no time for family...then her mother was killed when she was young. This made Aphra hate her father. What if the same destiny befalls Aphra's own daughter?

4. Aphra is an archaeologist by profession which means she would be familiar with the history of force user groups like jedi and sith, and also be familiar with the location of ancient temples....it would make sense for Luke to spend time with her after Endor while trying to find jedi lore and teachings.

5. Finn fans will be happy and not hate on reylo when it happens or say mean things about KMT because Finn's LI would be a Skywalker so they won't feel shortchanged that finnrey doesn't happen. This should also make fans seeking greater diversity happy. Also, Aphra has a lot of fans despite being a newly introduced character so it would be clever to capitalize on it.

6. The ST is about the Skywalkers and the Solos......while Ben is both a Skywalker and a Solo, there can always be another Skywalker who chooses to be part of the resistance instead of the force plot just like Leia did. I'm especially fascinated by the rumor that KMT holds some medallion...if she is the daughter of Luke and Aphra, maybe she followed her mother's footsteps and became an archaeologist instead of a jedi like her father.

7. Ben Solo has two challenges to overcome in the ST-

a. To get out of Snoke's control and return to the light; and
b. for the resistance and republic supporters to accept him since they fear Kylo Ren.

Using the plot that nobody knows Ben Solo and Kylo Ren are the same and that lets him get away seems a bit weak....this is where KMT and Finn could come into the picture. What if KMT and Finn find a way to exonerate Ben so he gets accepted by the resistance in the early part of episode 9 itself? (maybe the medal she is rumored to be holding is related to this)

It would also be funny if we get an inversion of the cousin vs. cousin scenario that people want...and a relative clears the name of a relative instead of killing them like in the EU. Also, it would give Finn and KMT a heroic story arc not restricted to resistance missions (which a lot of Finn fans complain about) and yet doesn't diminish Kylo's importance or the force plot.
@panki

It would certainly align with all of mysterious build-up we've been getting for KMT's character.

Weren't there rumors (I don't recall if the source was reliable) that KMT had chemistry reads with Mark in addition to John?

The only downside that I see to this theory is that it probably decreases the chance that Kylo makes it out of the ST alive and also decreases the chance down the line for Reylo babies (since there is...another...Sky...walker...)

As for Luke/Aphra...I haven't read the comics, but it seems like everyone loves Doc Aphra. And as someone whose husband is 5 years younger than I am, I am always a fan of seeing more older-woman/younger-man romantic pairings. Wink
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:36 am

I actually don't think KMT being a Skywalker in some shape or form would decrease the chances of Kylo's survival. In Kylo, it's not just the Skywalker bloodline that's at stake - he's still Leia's only son, Han's only son, and the child of one of the most iconic on-screen romances of all time.

That said, I can't help but think they would probably have cast a biracial actress if her father was supposed to be a blond white man like Luke...?

I'd love for Aphra to be KMT's mother, but I wonder if Aphra might be a bit too old? The early casting calls pegged the other female character (that likely became KMT's character) as late teens like Rey. They may have aged her up a bit from that, but I think she's going to be early twenties at most. KMT is a couple of years older than John in real life, but I expect the characters are going to be around the same age in the film. (Hey, Jyn turned out to be twenty-two or something...)

I do wonder, though. All the early reports about the new young female character made her seem very important, and possibly related to someone we know. Like I said before, if Rey and Finn are both totally new characters, Kylo and KMT being related to previous characters wouldn't make it too crowded at all on the relation front.

Lately I've been wondering more and more about Sabine being KMT's mother...
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:37 am

By the way, did anyone save the LEGO photo? It appears to have been deleted from the original source.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LastCrusadeLeft on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 12:20 pm

God bless my paranoia, I've saved it.  Cool

LastCrusadeLeft
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 12:51 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:I actually don't think KMT being a Skywalker in some shape or form would decrease the chances of Kylo's survival. In Kylo, it's not just the Skywalker bloodline that's at stake - he's still Leia's only son, Han's only son, and the child of one of the most iconic on-screen romances of all time.

That said, I can't help but think they would probably have cast a biracial actress if her father was supposed to be a blond white man like Luke...?

I'd love for Aphra to be KMT's mother, but I wonder if Aphra might be a bit too old? The early casting calls pegged the other female character (that likely became KMT's character) as late teens like Rey. They may have aged her up a bit from that, but I think she's going to be early twenties at most. KMT is a couple of years older than John in real life, but I expect the characters are going to be around the same age in the film. (Hey, Jyn turned out to be twenty-two or something...)

I do wonder, though. All the early reports about the new young female character made her seem very important, and possibly related to someone we know. Like I said before, if Rey and Finn are both totally new characters, Kylo and KMT being related to previous characters wouldn't make it too crowded at all on the relation front.

@Darth Dingbat

I've been thinking is is possible that Rey and KMT's character could be related,maybe cousins or something?Since Kylo slready has his uncle and mom invovled in the Force and Resistanse plot respectively if Rey has a relative who works on the side of the Resistance she can help Rey and Kylo in some way when it comes to the Resistance accpeting Kylo back like @panki's suggested.I know this is a Skywalker saga but Rey is the main heroine and it would be nice if we met someone from her biological family plus it would also hope expend the universe and KMT's character would be the perfect candidate for it.

Last edited by CienaRee on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 12:58 pm

@ISeeAnIsland

I didn't know KMT did chemistry reads with MH. That is very interesting and does indicate they will have some sort of interaction.  Confus

I agree with @Darth Dingbat regarding Kylo's redemption....they won't just let the only son of Leia and Han be killed off. After reading all those fanfics where Kylo is brought back in chains to the resistance and condemned to die etc. Sad , I was actually worried how they can do both a redemption plot as well as bringing him back into normal society in two movies...also, with no Han and Leia to come back home to, I was really worried....but if KMT is his cousin, she might know he is not some monster and might persuade Finn to help her find out the truth of what is really going on in the FO. That takes care of one of Kylo's obstacles so he just needs to focus on tackling Snoke.  Evil

Aphra is supposed to be in her late 20s when Luke is around 23 so not much of an age gap really....it would be fun if they have the same age gap and Anakin and Padme....  Styled If KMT's character is in her early 20s (Finn's age or younger), then it is possible that she is the child of Luke and Aphra (Aphra could have had a child in her mid to late 30s).....and she takes more after her Mum than her Dad in looks? Wink

But my second choice for KMT's Mum is Sabine....after JB called her the new lead, I have had this feeling she could be related to some important character, whether from the movies or the TV shows...but I still prefer her to be Luke's daughter because the antis cannot say she is less important than Rey and that Finn is getting some consolation prize (something that really bugs me).

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 1:12 pm

@CienaRee wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:I actually don't think KMT being a Skywalker in some shape or form would decrease the chances of Kylo's survival. In Kylo, it's not just the Skywalker bloodline that's at stake - he's still Leia's only son, Han's only son, and the child of one of the most iconic on-screen romances of all time.

@Darth Dingbat

I've been thinking is is possible that Rey and KMT's character could be related,maybe cousins or something?Since Kylo slready has his uncle and mom invovled in the Force and Resistanse plot respectively if Rey has a relative who works on the side of the Resistance she can help Rey and Kylo in some way when it comes to the  Resistance accpeting Kylo back like @panki's suggested.I know this is a Skywalker saga but Rey is the main heroine and it would be nice if we met someone from her biological family plus it would also hope expend the universe and KMT's character would be the perfect candidate for it.
@CienaRee

I think it is nice if Rey has some relative on the side of the resistance but then the question arises as to how she is related to KMT, especially since KMT is Asian and PH said Rey's parents are white.....but if they can work a connection, I would love it. I only considered the possibility of KMT and Kylo being cousins because of the Aphra connection...otherwise my bet was on Sabine.

Speaking of relatives in the resistance, I did consider the possibility that Rey is the daughter if Wedge Antilles and Norra Wexley who was lost somehow. Wedge was also a great pilot and participated in destroying both death stars. He is also close to the Skywalkers...then Snap Wexley would be her half-brother....Snap is the only ST character who features in a movie, a comic series and two books...and he does have dark hair like her. We don't have any characters in the ST with siblings...so maybe Rey has an elder brother. Very Happy

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

@panki wrote:@ISeeAnIsland

I didn't know KMT did chemistry reads with MH. That is very interesting and does indicate they will have some sort of interaction.  Confus

I agree with @Darth Dingbat regarding Kylo's redemption....they won't just let the only son of Leia and Han be killed off. After reading all those fanfics where Kylo is brought back in chains to the resistance and condemned to die etc. Sad , I was actually worried how they can do both a redemption plot as well as bringing him back into normal society in two movies...also, with no Han and Leia to come back home to, I was really worried....but if KMT is his cousin, she might know he is not some monster and might persuade Finn to help her find out the truth of what is really going on in the FO. That takes care of one of Kylo's obstacles so he just needs to focus on tackling Snoke.  Evil

Aphra is supposed to be in her late 20s when Luke is around 23 so not much of an age gap really....it would be fun if they have the same age gap and Anakin and Padme....  Styled If KMT's character is in her early 20s (Finn's age or younger), then it is possible that she is the child of Luke and Aphra (Aphra could have had a child in her mid to late 30s).....and she takes more after her Mum than her Dad in looks? Wink

But my second choice for KMT's Mum is Sabine....after JB called her the new lead, I have had this feeling she could be related to some important character, whether from the movies or the TV shows...but I still prefer her to be Luke's daughter because the antis cannot say she is less important than Rey and that Finn is getting some consolation prize (something that really bugs me).
@panki

The KMT-MH chemistry reads rumor came from one of the casting rumor threads, but for the life of me, I don't recall if it was one of the sources who seemed reliable or not. So take that with a grain of salt.

It's funny...as much as I hated the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter because of the connotation that he would have either had a hand in abandoning her or had a one-night stand or whatever... But, I kind of like the idea of him having had an actual relationship and having a daughter with someone he (hopefully) loved.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 3:21 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@panki

The KMT-MH chemistry reads rumor came from one of the casting rumor threads, but for the life of me, I don't recall if it was one of the sources who seemed reliable or not. So take that with a grain of salt.

It's funny...as much as I hated the idea of Rey being Luke's daughter because of the connotation that he would have either had a hand in abandoning her or had a one-night stand or whatever... But, I kind of like the idea of him having had an actual relationship and having a daughter with someone he (hopefully) loved.
@ISeeAnIsland

I also remember the KMT/Hamill rumor.
However, I do think it was among those rumor attempts to place KMT as far as possible from Finn.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:50 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

I agree. They must have found her absolutely perfect for the role, and that makes me look forward to VIII all the more.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm a fan of hers already. I just find something immensely likeable and charming about her presence.

Honestly, the SW cast is basically full of people I'd love to be friends with (in an alternative universe where I get to hang out with famous people instead of reading books and eating pizza on a Friday night...).
@Darth Dingbat

Totally. I cna't wait form them to reveal her character name and closer look. We know she'll be wearing a pony tail and Resistance uniform but that was still Jennifer Li, not Kelly.

@vaderito

Based on what I've heard pertaining to Finn's story this article could be on to something:
https://www.google.com/amp/movieweb.com/amp/star-wars-8-kelly-marie-tran-character-aya/

If correct Kelly's character would be an information broker named Aya, who Finn meets in a bar. And it touches upon her possibly being an agent of some sorts.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 6:43 pm

@Darth Dementor That article is based on Helmet Faker's "scoop". Aya is the name of Three Outlaw Samurai character. Also, Movie Web and Movie Pilot are super fake sites, basically, Mike Zeroh without Mike's zany fun.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 10:21 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@panki

@ISeeAnIsland

I also remember the KMT/Hamill rumor.
However, I do think it was among those rumor attempts to place KMT as far as possible from Finn.
@Darth_Awakened

The rumor was KMT has a huge and important role, so would be cool if she were Luke's child.
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 6:29 am

I'm cool as long as it isn't an excuse to kill off Kylo.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 6:57 am

I'm doubtful. You'd take the importance away from the Skywalker of this trilogy
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 7:40 am

@Maria Antonietta wrote:I'm doubtful. You'd take the importance away from the Skywalker of this trilogy
@Maria Antonietta

KMT being a Skywalker is only a theory but I think it could work.....even in the OT, Luke and Leia were both important to the trilogy and the reveal that Leia was Luke's sister didn't suddenly diminish Luke's importance in any way- he remained the hero of the trilogy and was the one who saved his father, destroyed the sith etc. Leia remained in the resistance plot through it all. Infact, it gave a much more beautiful meaning to the moment Leia sensed Luke was in danger on Bespin in ESB. Having one more family member believing that Ben is good and trying to clear his name with the resistance would only stress the importance of family in the SW universe.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

Finally something!

Finn dressed as a First Order Officer on the bridge of a First Order ship. Actress Kelly Marie Tran was standing to Finn’s left, also dressed in a First Order uniform.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-footage-description/

Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Finally something!

Finn dressed as a First Order Officer on the bridge of a First Order ship. Actress Kelly Marie Tran was standing to Finn’s left, also dressed in a First Order uniform.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-footage-description/

@Darth Dingbat

Okay new theory on KMT.... I wonder if they're bringing the Corellian Security Force into canon in some form as they were particularly good at infiltrating organizations and destroying them from within- KMT could be one of their agents sent to help Finn on his secret mission.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:00 pm

Kristian Harloff referred to KMT as Finn's "love interest" on today's Jedi Council episode. Not clear whether he's just basing this on hints from MSW or other sources.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:49 pm

Let's hope it'll stop those nasty antis who think Reylo is 'racist'- we'll still be getting an inter racial love story just not between Rey and Finn.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 1:35 pm

I was having a discussion with my cousin you might like.

Me: So... how is Finn and KMT's character's wedding gonna be like?
Cousin: Poe is gonna be Finn's best man.
Me: Heh. Totally.
Cousin: Rey and Kylo Ren are gonna be the flower girls.
Me: Oh sure, I'm ready to bet Rey loooves flow... wait, did you say Kylo Ren?
Cousin: Yep.

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

@Irina de France wrote:I was having a discussion with my cousin you might like.

Me: So... how is Finn and KMT's character's wedding gonna be like?
Cousin: Poe is gonna be Finn's best man.
Me: Heh. Totally.
Cousin: Rey and Kylo Ren are gonna be the flower girls.
Me: Oh sure, I'm ready to bet Rey loooves flow... wait, did you say Kylo Ren?
Cousin: Yep.
@Irina de France

AHAHAHAHAHA lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 2:28 am

KMT mentioned in a discussion about whitewashing:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-shell-4-japanese-actresses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956?utm

Yoshihara: One of my improv teammates [Kelly Marie Tran] got cast in Star Wars because they had confidence that they could make an unknown actor shine. Because they had confidence in what they’re doing, they don’t need to cast a famous actor to play one of their main roles.

"One of their main roles", once again Smile
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 2:30 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:KMT mentioned in a discussion about whitewashing:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-shell-4-japanese-actresses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956?utm

Yoshihara: One of my improv teammates [Kelly Marie Tran] got cast in Star Wars because they had confidence that they could make an unknown actor shine. Because they had confidence in what they’re doing, they don’t need to cast a famous actor to play one of their main roles.

"One of their main roles", once again Smile
@Darth Dingbat

She'll be a part of the main cast. I'am pretty confident about it.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 2:42 am

It's actually nice to have more than one female lead, I think the relationship between Finn and KMT is going to be more lighthearted and not so 'heavy' as the one between Rey and Kylo.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 3:13 am

Kelly appears to be in London right now! I feel somewhat iffy linking to the personal account of a friend of hers who hasn't even tagged her photos, so I might delete these links at some point, BUT a Kelly fansite on Tumblr (dailykellymarie) got permission to post these so I guess it's okay.

Photos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSRLay1B9jl/?taken-by=jennydonoghue
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSbV2RQBcQt/?taken-by=jennydonoghue
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSGK1puBfYn/?taken-by=jennydonoghue

And a delightful video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSHMrFRB3xT/?taken-by=jennydonoghue

ETA: Posting the photos from Tumblr:

Gah, look at that spring. I want to be in London too Crying or Very sad
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down