The Kelly Marie Tran Appreciation Thread

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Kelly Marie Tran Appreciation Thread

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 14 May 2016 - 10:25

@vaderito wrote:her stunt double is a martial artist so looks like her character is an a**-kicker. Plus, she wore resistance uniform and that guarantees action.
@vaderito

Worth reposting that demo reel here, methinks - I thought I'd already posted it, but it seems not!

Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 14 May 2016 - 11:29

@panki wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Darth Dingbat
Can't even lie, I find KMT just as pretty as Daisy. She has an unconventional beauty to her, a very round face small, wide nose, small but expressive eyes, dark hair. And she has a lovely figure! Anybody calling her fat or whatever just needs to get out of this fandom right now. She's going to compliment Finn so well physically (if indeed the two are love-interests).
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think people are assuming she is fat because she has a round face and looks slightly voluptuous...but I find her really cute and almost doll-like... I hope she is some good character and not a double agent....or even if she is a double agent, she has a change of heart after falling for Finn.
@panki

She's very pretty, but the straight, blunt-cut bangs that she wears sometimes emphasize the roundness of her face, which probably adds to the perception that some have. (I have a round face and avoid that style of bangs for that reason.)

I hope they let her character continue to wear glasses! Have we ever had a glasses-wearing character in the GFFA? (And yeah, I wear glasses, too.)
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sat 14 May 2016 - 13:46

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@panki wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Darth Dingbat
Can't even lie, I find KMT just as pretty as Daisy. She has an unconventional beauty to her, a very round face small, wide nose, small but expressive eyes, dark hair. And she has a lovely figure! Anybody calling her fat or whatever just needs to get out of this fandom right now. She's going to compliment Finn so well physically (if indeed the two are love-interests).
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think people are assuming she is fat because she has a round face and looks slightly voluptuous...but I find her really cute and almost doll-like... I hope she is some good character and not a double agent....or even if she is a double agent, she has a change of heart after falling for Finn.
@panki

She's very pretty, but the straight, blunt-cut bangs that she wears sometimes emphasize the roundness of her face, which probably adds to the perception that some have. (I have a round face and avoid that style of bangs for that reason.)

I hope they let her character continue to wear glasses! Have we ever had a glasses-wearing character in the GFFA? (And yeah, I wear glasses, too.)
@ISeeAnIsland

I wouldn't mind seeing her wear glasses in the movie....haven't seen anyone in the GFFA wear glasses till date....not even in the EU....comes to think of it, that is strange....they should introduce it! Very Happy

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by panki on Sat 14 May 2016 - 13:51

@Force22 wrote:
@Force22

Lol....I forgot about those.....but those are scary Shocked

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sat 14 May 2016 - 13:55

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

I agree, she's sooooo pretty! But I also agree that I personally don't think she suits those bangs for the reasons you've mentioned. But judging by the leaked photos of her stunt double on the space horse, it looks like her hair will be in a straight high ponytail. Looking forward to seeing her with it. I hope she doesn't wear glasses though.)
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 15 May 2016 - 7:21

@Force22 wrote:So, about her casting...

According to instagram photos, she had been cast since december, before TFA.

Anyone has any idea why there were so many rumours about actresses going through tests for her role after TFA? Was it misdirection? Could it be that initially there were 2 parts that were cut into one? (in fact, that is one of the rumours surrounding the re-write)

I think it's possible they were still testing other actresses for another role, but then decided to expand her role instead. Or else the rumours were just BS.

Something else is that her early casting discredits the rumour that the production wanted an Asian actress cause TFA didn't do well in China, and the rumour that she was cast just because she's of Asian descent. These rumours don't make sense, cause they'd have to cast a Chinese actress to please the Chinese market. So these rumours are likely fake. And either way, KMT was not cast to please any specific market.
@Force22

Ok so here's what I know:

Kelly was cast in December, before XMas, so likely before TFA release on Dec 18 but definitely before X Mas (Insatgram) and well before TFA's China release (it opened in China in January). So rumor that she was cast to cater to China is bull because:

a) she was cast waaaaaaaaaaay before the movie opened in China and fell like a rock

b) she's a Vietnamese American. I'm sure that China would care only if an actual Chinese star from China was cast

Actors' publicists like to brag that their client was "short-listed" and are not above spreading rumors that client turned down the part cause it's too small in order to save client's face when client doesn't land the job. This seems to be the case here. Kelly was cast waaaaaay before rumored changes in February so her role at the time of casting was big. And you bet it remained big. There was no "turning down cause reduced role". Bigger names lost the part fair and square.

The only change I can think of is limiting Carrie's screen time due to her health problems (doctor's order and all that) and giving her duties to Poe (resistance leader). Otherwise, Kelly is in a duo with Finn (or trio with Finn and Poe) so she doesn't limit his screen time, and therefore no need to reduce her scenes.

Everything JB said so far point out at major role. Not Rey-level major duh but major none-the-less.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 15 May 2016 - 7:57

It could be that a female role was reduced slightly, but the reports got confused about which one. Carrie's would make sense because of her health issues, and it's possible Laura Dern's role is smaller than originally intended. Though it's hard to say anything about Dern's role at this point.

But I absolutely don't believe KMT's role was reduced at all. JB wouldn't be gushing about her this much if she weren't a major player.

A lot of reports talked about two new roles for young women. There was also talk of a "female Sith", and everybody kind of assumed one of these two young women would be the "female Sith" in question. However, considering that KMT and Dern were both cast and there had been no rumours about Dern's role previously, I believe the two female roles were precisely these. I'm still holding out hope that Dern might be the "female Sith". I really want to see a female Dark Side user. But anyway...

Also, all the rumoured actresses - Gina Rodriguez, Tatiana Maslany, Olivia Cooke, Bel Powley, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw - are in the same height bracket as KMT (around 5'2"-5'4") so that made me think they were all up for the same role. But who knows. I think I read somewhere that Gugu was never up for any role at all. I can't find where I read that, but I'm pretty sure it did. So some of these casting rumours may be completely made up.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 15 May 2016 - 8:13

Also, regarding the timeline of KMT's casting:

KMT's friend says KMT wanted to tell them "since before Christmas": https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0BqVbQIuM/

And KMT's agent posted this, referring to an earlier post when he couldn't tell why they were celebrating: https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0JSQvtH6G/

And the earlier post was this one, on 6th December 2015: https://www.instagram.com/p/-76h-rtH3X/

So that's when KMT's casting would have been official. Before the release of TFA.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 15 May 2016 - 8:23

I think that female role that got reduced is Leia. They just didn't have the information so they assumed that it was KMT role since she's unknown beating known names. But based on Latino review spoiler, about Poe becoming the leader of the Resisatnce because Leia got gravely injured in a FO attack, I think this is our reduced female role. Carrie has health problems so it make sense she'll work less, likely for 2-3 key scenes (hopefully at least one emotional scene with AD). Giving Poe the leadership makes sense, expands popular character's screen time and feels organic.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Sun 15 May 2016 - 16:33

I hope they'll give her an exotic/unusual hairstyle as well. It'd fit her so well. Razz
And I don't find her looks unconventional at all tbh. Rey has goblin ears but no one minds it at all (or is that because she's the female lead character?). This is actually one of the things I like most about Star Wars - no perfect Hollywood beauties and botox visages involved!
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 15 May 2016 - 16:48

So I just remembered that John is actually a big Naruto fan, and he once compared Finn to Naruto, saying they were both underdogs with big hearts caught up in larger-than-life situations. The character Naruto eventually married, Hinata, is actually physically similar to Kelly.

Total coincidence, but I find it cute nonetheless.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 31 May 2016 - 7:06

Anyone expecting a FinnTran kiss at all? How and in what situation do you reckon it will play out? I reckon it will either be after a tense life or death battle/chase a la space horse (although that might be a bit too early) or around Act 3 when the climax of the story starts.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 31 May 2016 - 7:44

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:Anyone expecting a FinnTran kiss at all? How and in what situation do you reckon it will play out? I reckon it will either be after a tense life or death battle/chase a la space horse (although that might be a bit too early) or around Act 3 when the climax of the story starts.
@AppleCrumble122

Yes, duh. They won't go full Reylo in VIII so they'll need an alternative to fill in the romance spot and that's FinnTran.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 31 May 2016 - 7:46

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:Anyone expecting a FinnTran kiss at all? How and in what situation do you reckon it will play out? I reckon it will either be after a tense life or death battle/chase a la space horse (although that might be a bit too early) or around Act 3 when the climax of the story starts.
@AppleCrumble122

Definitely expecting one! Like you, I imagine it to be after a tense situation - the kind of kiss that takes them by surprise.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 31 May 2016 - 7:51

@AppleCrumble122

I think it might happen in the middle of VIII. I have a feeling Finn is going to be introduced to Tran very early in VIII. They'll need a kiss so people can hold their breath with the Reylo UST/BST (and for them, I don't think a kiss will happen until the very end of VIII, and that's the minimum, because it could very well happen in IX as well).

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 31 May 2016 - 7:51

"@vaderito" Duh to you too tongue Wink. Of course Disney and LF are going to waste no time at all marketing it. It's basically giftwrapped for them with Black/Asian pairings being almost non-existent in Hollywood movies.

"@Darth Dingbat" Yes it would be perfect I think! Anyone think LF will tease the kiss somewhat in the trailers, like they did with Hanleia? I don't think they'll fully show the kiss but maybe they'll show them leaning in.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 6 Jun 2016 - 10:31

New photo of Kelly Smile She appears to have become really good friends with Chelsea Hamill.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGSOPENhiGs/?taken-by=chelseahamill
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Mon 6 Jun 2016 - 10:41

@Darth Dingbat wrote:New photo of Kelly Smile She appears to have become really good friends with Chelsea Hamill.

@Darth Dingbat

That's so cute! Oh man! I really want to see her interact with Daisy! It would just make me hope for a friendship between Rey and her character even more! They probably won't interact though, since their stories are separate and if they are to meet, the marketing team will want to keep that under wraps. Maybe they might do one or two interviews together, but we'll see.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 6 Jun 2016 - 11:32

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:New photo of Kelly Smile She appears to have become really good friends with Chelsea Hamill.

@Darth Dingbat

That's so cute! Oh man! I really want to see her interact with Daisy! It would just make me hope for a friendship between Rey and her character even more! They probably won't interact though, since their stories are separate and if they are to meet, the marketing team will want to keep that under wraps. Maybe they might do one or two interviews together, but we'll see.
@AppleCrumble122

Oh I so agree. I'm not holding my breath for much (if any) shared screentime in VIII, but I hope Kelly and Daisy hit it off off-screen. Kelly appears to have spent a lot of time with the Hamills, so I hope she's had a chance to get to know Daisy as well.

I mean, two young female leads around the same age? Surely they'll be paired up in some promo material, at least.

In other news, I really want a unicorn jumpsuit now.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 8 Jun 2016 - 9:56

This photo is probably a few years old, but still:

Source: http://www.medleysacappella.com/alumni_bio.php?id=kellyt
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down