ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rogue One - first spinoff movie - 1

Post by BenRey on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:35 am

@Xylo Ren wrote:Rogue One has the second best December opening weekend only behind one other movie in history.... Wink

http://www.businessinsider.com/box-office-rogue-one-has-second-best-december-opening-weekend-ever-2016-12
@Xylo Ren

I knew it wouldn't break any records held by tfa. I'll catch it on home video at some point. Or maybe cable? I'm mainly invested in the Saga movies.
BenRey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 10:35 am

@Saracene: You harsh girl! This is going to be your new nickname now. You know that the guy next to me actually slept through nearly half of the movie O_O But I don't think it was out of boredom, I think he was exhausted. He fell asleep at the beginning already.

I have to admit that I agree with some of the things you say, but then I do have weird tastes sometimes - I liked Suicide Squad and bought the extended version where there is more of Jared Joker Leto, if that is any indication Very Happy And no, I am not ashamed of it.

As previously mentioned, I did not like the introduction. I was expecting a bang and then a slow introduction à la TFA - you gotta give him to JJ, that introduction is good. If I am truly honest, I thought Rey's introduction was too long and too sobby. Why do they introduce female heroes with a sob story first? Is that an apology for their forthcoming toughness? Like a warning: she will do nasty things, but she has a valid excuse. At least Luke was a real whino who then toughened up Smile. With Rey and Jyn, I feel obliged to feel sorry for them or risk being called heartless because you know, these poor girls had it so hard, and it annoys me. Do I make any sense at all?

The planet to planet jump did annoy me too knowing that I am very bad at memorizing all the names so it confused me. And I also did not buy Cassian not shooting at Jyn's father. At least not at this point in the movie. I think this would have worked for me if you had had some emotional moment between Jyn and him before. I actually really was hoping that he would press the trigger but something would come in-between. It just made more sense to me. I was kind of hoping they would not go the classic way and actually have her father live because the father/daughter scene is too... classic? Heck, wouldn't it have been ironic if the father survived it all? The sole survivor left to live with his remoarse.

I also thought Leia did not look natural. Her face looked stiff somehow, but maybe it's because I knew it was CGI so I was uncounsciously looking for the flaws (?). Tarkin bothered me less. At least it was better than the Scorpio King. There was The Mummy Returns on TV lately and that CGI was plain awful and I still don't understand why they went for CGI for that one.

In the end, I was really missing a Kylo Ren character. One that I would feel connected to and I would care what is happening to him or her, in spite of flaws in the movie. Or one like Mad Max or Nux in Fury Road - I saw that movie 4 times too. But then it's not always clicking and it's a very personal thing. I can see how some people can feel connected to characters and others just don't.

All in all, I appreciated that the movie is a real stand-alone. LF said so, but I did not believe them until I saw the movie. So thank you, Lucasfilm for not pushing it like Marvel.

Speaking of Fury Road, Jyn and Cassian's romance cut short before it started reminded my of Nux and Capable. I am crying my eyes out every time I see the Nux death scene in Fury Road. And if I am honest, I would have preferred Furiosa to die and I am convinced that they only let her live to keep the option open for a Furiosa movie one day. Sorry, getting carried away.

I might go watch Rogue One again with my parents. In French in spite of my aversion to dubbing. Since we went last year to watch TFA, I think it's a good idea to continue the tradition. I wonder what a second viewing will bring.

So anyone already went a second time?
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 11:22 am

I'm seeing it in less than half an hour. I'm so excited! Very Happy

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 12:13 pm

As much as I loved Rogue One, count me in as finding the planet jumping introduction to be one of the weak points. Between that and the bad font at the beginning, I will say that I started off wondering what I had gotten myself into.

The planet jumping with the names up on the screen felt very Law & Order-ish. It was jarring and felt out of place in a Star Wars movie. And given that the planets' names were spoken in the characters' dialogue, I don't think we needed to see them up on the screen.

/nitpick rant
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 2:14 pm

@ISeeAnIsland - the Law and Order movie will be one of their spinoffs!

Thought this was a fair comparison with TFA

How Rogue One made me care about the Star Wars story again

It's about how — not if — you'll compromise your morals while navigating a collapsing system mired in war. Edwards wanted to interrogate Star Wars' tendency to equate rebels with good guys, and he delivers — there are clear parallels, for example, between "radical extremist" Saw Gerrera (Forrest Whitaker) and Vader. Without succumbing to the empty logic of bothsiderism, Rogue One recognizes that rebels aren't typically plucky and irreverent upstarts; they're born from trauma and desperation and violence. They're awkward and strange. Idealists who can't afford to be saints, they're tortured by things they've done and their only hope is that it will be worthwhile. Victory is synonymous with redemption. That pain and that particularly tense hope is gorgeously and intelligently dramatized here, largely by Diego Luna (of Y Tu Mama Tambien) who plays Cassian, a rebel since he was six years old.

Edwards respects death more than he respects spectacle. He makes it count. He wanted to tell a story about the grunts on the ground — about the little people who live on these planets. Thanks to him, the horrors of the Death Star feel real instead of merely narrative or worse, cool.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 2:21 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:
So anyone already went a second time?
@SanghaRen
I've seen it 3 times already Very Happy I'll probably see it again with my friend who has never seen any Star Wars movie and doesn't like SciFi at all

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 2:53 pm

@bela.mesecina

3 times already?! Shocked

@ISeeAnIsland

Law and Order? LOL. Now that you mention, it does. I felt like it was a memory game or something, like I was going to be tested and in a way it was because later on, every time they moved to another planet, I was like "Ok, that's the one they showed at the beginning where..." *panic* Crap, I can't remember!"

Which makes me realize one other thing that bothered me: the movie did not flow easily for me. It was jumping a lot. X-Wing, ground team, Jyn & Co, rebellion fleet, etc. I hope I get to see it in 2D in France. Maybe it'll be better.

Last edited by SanghaRen on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 2:54 pm

I'm planning to read the novel over this weekend....then maybe I'll see the movie again Very Happy

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:@bela.mesecina
@SanghaRen
Yeah, I saw it for the third time yesterday... It premiered earlier here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 6:18 pm

Kudos to Disney and Lucasfilm for not going with a cop out ending. It did feel right that they should all die, sad as it was. http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-script-for-rogue-one-had-a-completely-differe-1790296533?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 6:59 pm

So I think we will see Vader's castle in Ep 8. Could it be where Snoke is?
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 7:23 pm

@ReyofLightSide wrote:So I think we will see Vader's castle in Ep 8. Could it be where Snoke is?
@ReyofLightSide

I'm not sure if it's where Snoke is based but I could see it being where he summons Kylo to complete his training. Isn't Mustafar known as the place where Jedi go to die? It would be a great reversal of what happened to Vader if it's the place where the Jedi in Ben Solo is reborn. I could see Snoke demanding that Kylo bring Rey to him there in order to complete his training and kill her. Snoke knows he has compassion for Rey that might have grown into more if they spend time bonding on Ahch-To. She embodies the pull to the light he must extinguish just as Palpatine wanted Anakin to believe he'd killed his wife and unborn child to seal his fate with the dark side.

I loved seeing Vader's castle in Rogue One and it would be fantastic to see it again in Ep VIII.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 7:42 pm

RO is filled with cross-overs and I love this.....makes all the hours of reading books and comics worth it. Very Happy

Here is a link between ROTJ and RO...... there is this character in dark robes who looks a bit like Igor from Young Frankenstein who brings the news of Krennic's arrival to Vader. He is Kren Blista Vanee, one of Palpatine's imperial council members who is briefly seen in ROTJ and also appeared in the novel Tarkin. Like some other council members, he also collected art and artifacts (so he might have believed in sith ideologies)... in legends, he dies on the second death star....but they could end up changing it.

A place that has been mentioned in a couple of places before is the outer rim planet Taris, which is represented by the lady in the  ivory robes we see at the rebel alliance meeting. Her name is Tynnra Pamlo. Taris is mentioned in Tarkin, Darth Disciple, Bloodline, Aftermath and TFA RPG game....it caught my attention as it is a planet covered with swamps....Jakku was originally supposed to be a planet covered in swamplands according to concept art but it was subsequently changed.Tynnra Pamlo wears a ceremonial medallion called the Amulet of the Robb...could this be the medallion rumored to be worn by KMT in episode 8?

The man in reddish robes next to Jyn is the rebel finance minister Nower Jebel....RO is his first appearance and he is one of the leaders who distrusts Jyn.....I foresee him causing trouble for Leia and the rest of the gang in the future.

Last edited by panki on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 8:09 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@ReyofLightSide wrote:So I think we will see Vader's castle in Ep 8. Could it be where Snoke is?
@ReyofLightSide

I'm not sure if it's where Snoke is based but I could see it being where he summons Kylo to complete his training. Isn't Mustafar known as the place where Jedi go to die? It would be a great reversal of what happened to Vader if it's the place where the Jedi in Ben Solo is reborn. I could see Snoke demanding that Kylo bring Rey to him there in order to complete his training and kill her. Snoke knows he has compassion for Rey that might have grown into more if they spend time bonding on Ahch-To. She embodies the pull to the light he must extinguish just as Palpatine wanted Anakin to believe he'd killed his wife and unborn child to seal his fate with the dark side.

I loved seeing Vader's castle in Rogue One and it would be fantastic to see it again in Ep VIII.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Yep, maybe Kylo and Rey escape to there, especially if she spends some time on the dark side- or agrees to go secretly thinking she can turn Kylo. I don't think they went to the trouble of Vader's castle in RO for just one scene. An fanboy Kylo would love to hang in Grandpappy's crib.
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 8:38 pm

I think Vader's castle might be the home of the KOR or acolytes of the beyond (if they're a separate group)....we might get visually attractive sparring scenes with molten lava in the background, reminiscent of ROTS.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:17 am

‘Rogue One’ Shows Us the Dark Side of the Rebellion

Gerrera trained Erso for 10 years before he left her to fend for herself. She was just 16. She and Andor are both children of the resistance and they’ve both done nasty things to survive.

Andor is one of the Rebellion’s dark operatives. He’s the guy they get to pull the trigger and do the wet work no one else will. He’s a bastard for the good guys.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 1:03 am

I watched the Red Letter Media review of RO and one of the guys questioned why exactly Vader would choose his castle to be surrounded by lava, considering he would hardly have good memories associated with lava, lol.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 1:29 am

@Saracene wrote:I watched the Red Letter Media review of RO and one of the guys questioned why exactly Vader would choose his castle to be surrounded by lava, considering he would hardly have good memories associated with lava, lol.
@Saracene

I think Pablo might have said that Palps forced him to live there, as it probably fuels his anger or something like that.
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:43 am

@ISeeAnIsland

Law and Order? LOL. Now that you mention, it does. I felt like it was a memory game or something, like I was going to be tested and in a way it was because later on, every time they moved to another planet, I was like "Ok, that's the one they showed at the beginning where..." *panic* Crap, I can't remember!"

Which makes me realize one other thing that bothered me: the movie did not flow easily for me. It was jumping a lot. X-Wing, ground team, Jyn & Co, rebellion fleet, etc. I hope I get to see it in 2D in France. Maybe it'll be better.
@SanghaRen

If you're like me (who has to sit in the front seat all the time because I get car sickness headaches at the drop of a hat), I can almost guarantee it will be better.  I refuse to see movies like SW in 3D.  I saw Star Trek: Into Darkness in 3D and I found it incredibly distracting and pretty nauseating at times, so much so that it really ruined the movie for me.  So after that I swore off 3D for heavy action movies.  I saw The Great Gatsby of all things, lol, and recently Moana in 3D, and both were okay.  But to see something like RO in 3D, no way.  I can't take all that "spaceship flying in your face" stuff. Laughing
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:58 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland

@SanghaRen

If you're like me (who has to sit in the front seat all the time because I get car sickness headaches at the drop of a hat), I can almost guarantee it will be better.  I refuse to see movies like SW in 3D.  I saw Star Trek: Into Darkness in 3D and I found it incredibly distracting and pretty nauseating at times, so much so that it really ruined the movie for me.  So after that I swore off 3D for heavy action movies.  I saw The Great Gatsby of all things, lol, and recently Moana in 3D, and both were okay.  But to see something like RO in 3D, no way.  I can't take all that "spaceship flying in your face" stuff. Laughing
@SoloSideCousin

I'am planning to see it in 2D next time. (Probably on Friday, maybe even earlier).
Hopefully not so close to screen. The biggest problem I had with R1 was my seat position. I was almost in the fornt row - and I was feeling horrible.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:24 am

Kessel89 wrote:
@CienaRee wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:I didn't remember how scared, though resigned, they actually looked in the end. *sobs loudly*
@Darth Dingbat

*Sobbing right with you!* OMG!  I need to see this movie again!!!  Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is still the best character SW ever created and is still my all-time favorite by far, but OMG, I love Cassian and Jyn!!! I *loved* everybody, even Krennic, because a slimy guy just like him would be in charge of the Death Star (also, Krennic was a total bait and switch from the marketing department IMO to distract everybody from the significant Vader and Tarkin appearances IMO).  But the whole "Cassian and Jyn" thing is killing me with the "what might have been".  Both were damaged and hurt by life and both had become hardened until this experience and commitment they made together brought them both to this incredible and heroic point where they both gave their whole heart and soul and vulnerability to this near impossible goal ... and all they get is a few stolen moments when they both deserved so much more.  They were so incredibly suited and so equal.  Both of them saved each other.  If we could get this kind of equal meeting of the minds/radical honesty ("Yes, I was going to kill your father, but I didn't did I?" and "I've done really disgusting things for this reason and if it's all meaningless now, I will be completely lost" (paraphrasing)) with Rey and Kylo, I would be so happy.  Sure Kylo might be misguided, but he might have a reasoning that Rey can understand.  Jyn could accept Cassian because she wasn't a cinnamon roll ... Rey will be able to "get" and maybe "accept" Kylo if some of her "cinnamon roll" aura with certain swathes of the audience could be put to rest.
@SoloSideCousin

Couldn't agree more on all of this. Cassian and Jyn... I love them, and I think I'm going to love them more and more on subsequent viewings.

Vader was awesome, but as a villain, Tarkin totally stole the film as far as I'm concerned. It helps, of course, that I wasn't distracted by the CGI at all  Laughing It took me about five seconds to suspend disbelief, heh.

RO has definitely enriched the OT for me. Not only did it make the Rebellion seem more "real" and the stakes higher, it made the Death Star personal.

That approaching white light just stunned me in the cinema.
@Darth Dingbat@SoloSideCousin 
You should deffinatly buy the RO novalization if you love Jyn/Cassian(I love them too).I haven't bought it yet since it comes out next week on amazon but I've read some parts on tumblr and there are a lot of romantic Jyn/Cassian suggestions/undertones.You can read some of it here: 
https://bossard.tumblr.com/post/154641269917/best-parts-of-the-rogue-one-novelization
https://bossard.tumblr.com/tagged/rebelcaptain

This is probably one of my favourite quotes:

"Most of all, he listened for Jyn. He listened for her struggles. He listened for her voice. He tried to determine which steady tread on the sand was hers. For all Cassian heard, she might have vanished from the face of Jedha. 
Was it concern that made him fixate on her? His mission was to find Saw and, through Saw, find the pilot; find proof of an Imperial weapon that could mutilate the galaxy. If possible, he was also to find an eliminate Galen Erso – a man very likely culpable in that weapon’s creation. Jyn was first and foremost a means of finding Saw. She’d already served that purpose, which meant she was now expendable. 
She dominated his thinking nonetheless. Cassian believed pity nor pragmatism explained it. 
Maybe it was the need he’d seen in Jyn, the fire that had carried her through the fighting in the Holy Quarter. It seemed obscene to leave that need unanswered, abandoned to the dust."

I have to say Cassian's behaviour towards Jyn reminds me a lot of how Kylo behaves when it comes to Rey.I mean both of these man have missions who they put above everything else but when it comes to Jyn and Rey all reason flies out of the window.But what can you do love is blind after all. Laughing
@CienaRee

I didn't know the R1 novel was coming out as soon as next week! I'll definitely get it and read it asap, even though I'll be busy the next two weeks. I would love to read more about the budding Jyn and Cassian bond, even if I know it's going to make me cry. Their relationship, how they found each other, the kind of people they were and the lost potential between them really made an impression on me.
@Kessel89
I've just started listening to the audio version on scribd(if you're interested you can go and listen to it for free here: https://www.scribd.com/audiobook/334445920/Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story) and while I haven't got that far yet but some people have  the novalization and it just makes it so much more obvious that these people were in love.I mean look at this(seriously the way they handled Jyn and Cassian's relationship makes me feel really excited about Reylo,I would be even fine if they don't kiss as long as they make it clear that they deeply love each other at the end of the trilogy,but focurse I would love if they kiss Laughing ):

http://gwendy85.tumblr.com/post/154711146023

• Jyn went through all of Cassian’s things while he was off having his secret conversation w Draven and made a mental note that there was ‘no holoimage of a dutiful wife’ like chill girl you could just ask him if he was single

• THE BLASTER PISTOL SHE “FOUND” WAS STOLEN STRAIGHT OUT OF CASSIAN’S BAG LMAO IM SCREAMING

• and he knows it too and lets her keep it looool

• Moments after Cassian saves her life by shooting the rebel with the grenade, Jyn tackles him to the ground and saves his life in return

• these two seem “pressed together” a lot like we get it, personal space is not a thing

• Cassian is literally Always Stressed about Jyn being cold and injured after their battle in Jedha

• but like, side note, Cassian is literally always stressed about Jyn anyway

• even when he knows she’s served her purpose in the mission and is by all means ‘expendable’ (and is justifying in his mind a million reasons to leave her behind) he’s desperately trying to save her as Jedha is collapsing

• Cassian comes up with a hundred reasons why he SHOULD shoot Galin Erso but what it comes down to in the end is the fact that he has Jyn’s eyes and he just CANT DO IT please someone end my suffering

• when Cassian sees the explosion on the platform he whispers Jyn’s name

• and then he RACES to save her, and the logical part of his brain is like “where would we even go? we’re trapped here anyway” but he’s so frantic he doesn’t care, his one track brain just locks onto Jyn and her wellbeing 

• their fight after is so emotionally charged I almost can’t handle it 

• once Cassian realizes Jyn won’t be getting the support from the council he slips out quietly with Bohdi and they gather people together to pull off the death star plan mission

• when Jyn realizes what Cassian has done for her, how much he believes in her, and how dedicated he is to helping her, she finally starts healing for the first time in her character arc (which is why the line “welcome home” is so destroying like…….. this is the first time in the entire book that she actually feels hope)

• something I didn’t realize in the movie but was spelled out more obviously in the book: when Jyn sees Cassian shot while they’re climbing the tower and he falls, she thinks he’s dead, and is literally so distraught she almost lets herself fall after him for a millisecond hahahaha Smile Smile this is fine Smile 

• and when she sees ‘the man in the white cape’ she mentally lists Cassian’s death up there with her parents as ways the man has made her life a living hell, and she burns with rage

• and when she realizes Cassian is alive (and that he’s ended her nightmare by killing Krennic) he “looked as beautiful as anyone Jyn had ever known” and once she beams the plans to the death star out, she stumbles to him smiling like a child

• when Cassian sees her smile he’s shook by how ordinary it is, how it turns her into a woman he might have known and understood “He hadn’t known her, didn’t know her, of course. There wasn’t the time.” NO

• in the end Cassian still had a hard time forgiving himself for all the awful things he did in the name of the rebellion but looking at Jyn and knowing he’d given her what she needed, that was enough.

• “Her faith carried him with her.”

• As Jyn is carrying Cassian (who is SO WEAK and SO BROKEN) toward the beach, she blocks a dead rebel soldier from his view

• “Somehow she found herself closer to Cassian than before. Her breathing matched his, or his matched hers, deep and steady.”

• and Cassian, completely out of strength, somehow still manages to hold her tighter, as tightly as he can, as the bright white light blinds them both and they become one with the force

• (so basically, lots of tears were had) (I’m so Shook)

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 4:09 am

super disapointed in this. i gigglesnorted through someone's death scene and probably ruined people's watching experience but literally the only way i endured was with a beer and my friends by my side.

i'm going to have to read through you guys' reviews here, i just wanted to get this out before i did.

i NEVER complain about dialogue, english isn't my native language, i never feel i have the right to criticise someone else's writing etc, but there was a scene where i felt that the dialogue was basically everyone saying variations of 'galen erso' like for minutes. and the whole it's too late, it's not too late, something else late... give these people a f****ing watch!

i didn't *like* the rebels, like, i didn't think their op was well-motivated. the film keeps suggesting urgency and importance but somehow this never really got to me.

every time they started the star wars theme or whatever it is, and then it didn't get played it was like coitus interruptus. don't tease me like this, not like. i actually liked some of the percussive themes early on. it was a nice difference to 'normal' SW music.

i was with krennic as he goes 'it's so beautiful'. i think you have a problem on your hands if your film displays your weapon as this orgasmic instrument and then the people wanting to destroy it ... well, sorry, don't sympathise. (i hope this isn't too controversial).

too much location hopping. and i did lose the plot a couple of times but it didn't matter because everythign was sign-posted and nothing mattered except all the heroism and look at the heroism and aren't they heroic.

i would REALLY REALLY have liked for the empire to be less faceless, for the troopers to have more to do than be canon fodder, for their to be more to the revolting rebels, or whatever their designation was, for the war to feel more ... real, i guess? it was all gritty and stuff, people actually dying but i didn't feel for them. and that is a huge failure for me.

i do wonder what the reshoots were supposed to fix. would i have liked the 'other' movie better? would there have been more nuance? or would that have been even worse? i really want to see the original script now.
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:33 am

@SoloSideCousin and @Darth_Awakened:

Yes, I do think 3D did not help. I still do not understand how it does not bother other people. I always feel like there's a strange reflection on the glasses and the image is blurry. I suffer from motion sickness too in some cars, some trains and in ALL boats. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to see Rogue One in OV in 2D in my area. The 3D craze is terrible here.

I found only one cinema that shows R1 once in 2D and OV and it's on Christmas Day. Since I am not doing anything for Xmas, it could be an option - I'll probably have the room for myself. Or wait to watch it dubbed in French with my mom in France - I checked and they show it many times a day in standard i.e. 2D, bless them. You know what, that cinema showing it on Xmas Day in 2D also shows the movie several times a day in D-Box, which I have no idea what it is but the description says your seat moves with the film. Wow, can they make it harder for people suffering from motion sickness?

I honestly don't think seeing R1 in 2D will completely change my view on it and turn me into a full R1 enthusiast, but I still want to give it a chance in 2D and fully enjoy the parts I liked. One silly thing I liked and somehow stuck with me are the X-Wing pilots. At one point, one helps out the "rebels" on the ground by taking out the enemy shooting at them and has this huge grin on his face when he succeeds. I found that sweet and I think I automatically smiled with him.

I have to say something about the grittiness. I see that some fellow posters here see Rogue One as risk taking and gritty and it's been described as gritty in the press. I actually found the movie quite safe. Heroes that do bad things are nothing new in SW : Han Solo is no angel. TFA is much grittier imo. I was actually a bit shocked on my first viewing of TFA by the killing of the the villagers (the fear in that alien's eyes), Poe's mindprobe (those bloodshot eyes). And let's not talk about the bridge scene. You even see blood! Kylo's blood in the snow. I would not have taken a young child to TFA. Rogue One, maybe. I saw no real grittiness. All deaths are very clean. No gloominess. As for taking risks... Having the legacy son kill everyone's favorite smuggler is a risk taking that is difficult to top. I am not trying to spoil anyone's enthusiasm and the 2 movies have different goals but they have the same audience and it's then diffcult to not compare one movie experience with the other. And unfortunately I see R1 as quite a safe movie with no real surprise. It's full of SW easter eggs and goodies for the fans - that I miss because I am more of an average fan - but I was really missing a wow effect. Ok, that's my last criticism. I probably make it sound like a worse experience than what it was. It was okay. I did not smash my Jyn buildable Lego figure after it and she's displayed on my SW shelf so it's okay Smile My worse cinematic experience this year was The Huntsman. Nothing can top that one for me in terms of sith. That movie was so bad, I honestly considered walking out the cinema, but was waiting for the 10 minutes of Charlize Theron, who rocks it as the Evil Queen.

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:13 am

@SanghaRen wrote:@SoloSideCousin and @Darth_Awakened:

Yes, I do think 3D did not help. I still do not understand how it does not bother other people. I always feel like there's a strange reflection on the glasses and the image is blurry. I suffer from motion sickness too in some cars, some trains and in ALL boats. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to see Rogue One in OV in 2D in my area. The 3D craze is terrible here.
@SanghaRen

I don't care for 3D.  I think it makes the film too murky and blurs the facial expressions.  My companion wanted 3D and so we saw Rogue One in 3D, but we intend to see it again Wednesday or Thursday in 2D.

I think a lot of 3D is just a scam.  For years my son wanted to see every new animated movie in 3D.  It cost more money and added nothing to the experience in my opinion.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:12 am

@Sacrebleu wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:@SoloSideCousin and @Darth_Awakened:

@SanghaRen

I don't care for 3D.  I think it makes the film too murky and blurs the facial expressions.  My companion wanted 3D and so we saw Rogue One in 3D, but we intend to see it again Wednesday or Thursday in 2D.

I think a lot of 3D is just a scam.  For years my son wanted to see every new animated movie in 3D.  It cost more money and added nothing to the experience in my opinion.

So 3D is probably one of these over-hyped thing that everyone thinks they have to like. Maybe that's why everyone drinks and eats a lot, they all try to avoid getting nauseous while pretending to be cool. Everything is clear now Very Happy George Miller did say in a Mad Max Fury Road interview that 3D is very difficult to make and it's easy to miss it and have sensitive people get sick. Something about the right alignment. I also felt nauseous during Mad Max and I will never forget that supposedly everyone saw that the lizard had 2 heads at the beginning of the film and I really could not see it. Its head was a blur to me. Only when I saw it in 2D, I was like "Oh, 2 heads indeed!". I have the feeling that also film makers feel that they have to do 3D. I am happy to hear that other people are struggling because I feel like a grandma who does not adapt to new technologies when I mention my problems with 3D. I fully agree about the facial expressions and that bugs me a lot.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum