Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by vaderito on Mon 11 Apr - 19:57

bela.mesecina wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:Jar Jar is tazed just like Finn in the beginning of the movie

@spacebaby45678

Finn is the Jar Jar of ST.
@vaderito

I actually liked Jar Jar *please don't kill me* Very Happy
@bela.mesecina

avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7253
Likes : 34477
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by Rogue Rey on Mon 11 Apr - 20:22

@Darth Rowan wrote:
@Kylo Ren's 8-Pack wrote:My fave bits in Episode 1 - 

Love Qui-Gon Jinn.
My favorite Jedi.
He exerts a lot of wisdom and has that slight rebellious streak going against the Council at times.
Always saw him right up there with Yoda as most Force connected Master.
Love him.
Liam Neeson played a fine Jedi.

Watto.
One of my favorite non-human characters in Star Wars.
Love his gruff little demeanor and his interesting character design.
The scene between him and Qui-Gon outside of his junk shop, where the Jedi tries to mind trick him into accepting Republic Credits, is pure gold.
Love his reaction there.." I'm a Tydarian! Mind tricks don't work on me, only money..!"

Sebulba.
Another cool character I really liked from the Prequels.
His smugness and shifty game play make him a interesting addition.
A unique character design too...having his 'hands' actually be his 'feet' and vise versa.

The 'Duel of Fates' musical score.
Such a great piece of music from John Williams.
The duel against Maul was good, but the score here raises it up to an even higher level.
@Kylo Ren's 8-Pack

Great post! I really liked reading this. I agree with everything you say here. Especially about Watto! He doesn't usually get any praise as a character, but I thought he was really enjoyable and fun. What I most liked about him was that in spite of his being a scoundrel and literally a slave driver, it was also clear that he had soft spot for Ani. He wasn't cruel, and he could have been. Later in the PT when Anakin encounters him again he seems genuinely pleased to see him. Almost heart-warming to see, lol.

Here are my favorite things about TPM:

-Qui-Gon, of course. n_n

If he had lived maybe everything would have worked out better for poor Anakin and, well, the galaxy. Qui-Gon would have been an amazing father-figure to Ani, Sidious/Palpatine would have had no foothold, not as easy a way to get his hooks into Anakin. Qui-Gon also wouldn't have been blinded to Sidious the way the Jedi Council was, because he wasn't concerned with increasing his own influence/protecting his position/going on the offensive. He wasn't apprehensive, aggressive and closed off, the way Mace Windu was. He really was a fantastic Jedi, would have loved to have seen more of him.

-The magnificent pageantry of Queen Amidala in stark contrast to the simplicity of Padme's style. I just really enjoyed her character here. Natalie Portman's best showing in Star Wars. She seemed invested/committed in a way that I didn't see her achieve in other installments.

-Darth Maul: gone to soon, RIP.

-The music. As you say, 8-Pack, John Williams brought his A-game to this movie. Duel of the Fates is one of those scores that gives me chills each time I hear it. Just amaaaazing.

My least favorite thing about TPM is how it began to tear down my beloved Yoda, and the whole of the Jedi Council and Jedi Order. By the time the PT was done, I was completely disillusioned with the Jedi Order and that was a hard pill to swallow. I had been the kid who played with my grandma's oversized umbrella, making lightsaber sounds and swinging it around yelling "I will never join you!". Throughout my childhood what I wanted to be the most was a Jedi (on days when it wasn't astronaut, cashier or king). But everything I thought the order stood for turned out to be meaningless rhetoric, because the Jedi themselves did not follow their own code in the PT, and they did things unbecoming and disturbing that led to their own downfall as surely as Sidious' machinations did. Bottom line: the Jedi council really, really screwed up.

They mishandled Anakin from day one. That scene where this little kid is brought out before the council so they can inform him that they don't want him because he is distressed for his mother and fears for her, because he's too old and because he loves - that scene is nuts. They couldn't have been more unkind to that child if they had deliberately set out to be. The complete lack of compassion there is stunning. When Qui-Gon Jinn said he was going to train Anakin no matter what I wanted to get up and clap. Somebody needed to stand up for that little boy, good grief.

End rant. u_u
@Darth Rowan

I loved the bit where Watto tells Qui-Gon that Jedi mind tricks don't work on him - BURN!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Darth Maul was such an underdeveloped character and baddie. I know he was only there to serve a purpose (to kill Qui-Gon so Obi-wan would be Anakin's master) but it was almost generic bad guy 101. There was nothing to the character other than the aesthetics and cool fight sequence.
avatar
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 861
Likes : 3676
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by vaderito on Mon 11 Apr - 20:27

@Rogue Rey But aesthetics and cool fight sequence are all that some fans want in a villain. they complain when they get more than that.

Are you coming to this weekend's AOTC Viewing Party? that should be fun cause Finally Proper Anidala! Very Happy
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7253
Likes : 34477
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by Rogue Rey on Mon 11 Apr - 20:36

@vaderito wrote:@Rogue Rey But aesthetics and cool fight sequence are all that some fans want in a villain. they complain when they get more than that.

Are you coming to this weekend's AOTC Viewing Party? that should be fun cause Finally Proper Anidala! Very Happy
@vaderito

And sadly that's all they want for Kylo - a cool looking bad guy with amazing fighting skills and sequences who gets killed by the hero Dunno

Don't mind me but that is boring!

I should be able to watch it on Saturday sometimes yeah (going on holiday on Sunday)
avatar
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 861
Likes : 3676
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 11 Apr - 22:52

I was sad to read this about Jake Lloyd today. People can be so cruel. Sad

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/11/leave_jake_lloyd_alone_we_need_compassion_for_mental_illness_not_snark/
avatar
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1873
Likes : 12645
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Apr - 0:27

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I was sad to read this about Jake Lloyd today. People can be so cruel. Sad

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/11/leave_jake_lloyd_alone_we_need_compassion_for_mental_illness_not_snark/
@Mrs Ben Solo

No wonder AD is not on the Internet. he says he can't with the amount of shaming that goes on in there.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7253
Likes : 34477
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 12 Apr - 2:27

@vaderito wrote:I don't get Maul love either. Aside his ballerina double blade dance, which is cool and would look tremendous if Rey did it, he was nothing of a role, went down like a b****.

I also prefer Kylo's medieval style swinging to Jedi's speedy kendo style. Much manlier. @Darth_Awakened
@vaderito

Did you know that early on there wasn't even going to be a Maul? That the "menace" was really going to be "phantom." Then at some point GL realized he needed a physical villain. But even then, I think Darth Maul had no lines at first. He was just the martial artist, Ray Parks, right. Then they gave him one or two lines.

And this is what the fanboys like? This is what they want for the son of Han and Leia? Darth Maul is "awesome", and Kylo is "emo" and played by a "bad actor". You were talking about IQ of about 13 somewhere the other day. No kidding.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3120
Likes : 13647
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Apr - 2:31

@SoloSideCousin Apparently, martial artists was so bad that another actor dubbed his lines. I can't imagine how anyone could screw up those 3 lines but this guy did. Yet Maul fanboys call that great acting. I can't.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7253
Likes : 34477
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 12 Apr - 2:46

@Force22 wrote:@panki you're right! Still, he has been seen as a force ghost, right?

I really like Qui-Gon, I wish they made a spin-off with him, or perhaps with some other rebellious/grey jedi.
@Force22

You know I wonder if they could convince Liam Neeson to make an appearance in the ST? IMO he would be the best Jedi to deal with Kylo and Rey with the Grey Jedi thing.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3120
Likes : 13647
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 12 Apr - 3:38

@vaderito wrote:@SoloSideCousin Apparently, martial artists was so bad that another actor dubbed his lines. I can't imagine how anyone could screw up those 3 lines but this guy did. Yet Maul fanboys call that great acting. I can't.
@vaderito

Wow! I never knew that! Good grief!

@vaderito

P.S. I like your "freeing the slaves" headcanon. It would give Kylo a noble purpose, and at the same time show Vader, who presumably might have actually given him this mission ("finish what you started"), for being both penitent and selfish. Penitent, because I don't care if Vader showed up as a Force Ghost in five minutes in ROTJ. If there is anyone who needs to go through Force purgatory, it's Vader, and freeing the slaves could be part of that atonement. At the same time, Vader would be selfish because it would put his burden onto Kylo, and Kylo would have to damn near kill his own soul to "finish what [Vader] started." They did have those shifting Vader/Anakin force ghosts concept art pieces. Personally, I don't see force heaven as all bliss. I get the feeling that these guys need to keep learning on the other side, like Qui-Gon did when he learned to communicate with the living world.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3120
Likes : 13647
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by Guest on Tue 12 Apr - 4:35

Are we going to have a new thread for the AotC wieving....I'll watch sometime during Sunday
(if I wake up at some decent hour....going out dancing on saturday...in a dress...short dress....with my Rey belt Very Happy....the Force will be with me Evil )

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by vaderito on Tue 12 Apr - 12:52

Arcana wrote:Are we going to have a new thread for the AotC wieving....I'll watch sometime during Sunday
(if I wake up at some decent hour....going out dancing on saturday...in a dress...short dress....with my Rey belt Very Happy....the Force will be with me Evil )
@Arcana

Yes, I'll open new threads for every viewing part so AOTC will get a new thread on Saturday.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7253
Likes : 34477
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by Saracene on Sat 18 Jun - 13:23

I now rewatched this movie too and I take back what said about Attack of the Clones - this movie is infinitely worse. I haven't watched it since it came out in the cinemas and good lord I forgot what a trainwreck Jar Jar Binks is. Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually prefer Christensen's Anakin to this bloody little kid and is it a requirement of the office that a queen of Naboo must speak like a friggin' robot? The plot with the Federation and siege of Naboo is a total snoozefest and the opening crawl is almost enough to put you to sleep. I know most people like Liam Neeson here but to me he just looks like he took a shot of tranqulizers and had the life sucked out of him. If he's meant to be a more rebellious Jedi why is he so bloody boring? McGregor and McDiarmid, the saving graces of later films, don't have much to do here.

What I liked:

- Well the final duel is still pretty damn great, even if it's intercut with the adventures of the wunderkind and Jar Jar's slapstick sith. I think it's pretty much the sole reason why I had thought that this movie was better than AoTC. Darth Maul is basically nothing but a face paint and a cool lightsaber and he's a bit of a shortarse, but his look is sure memorable and Ray Park can move.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1326
Likes : 7815
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 37
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by panki on Sat 18 Jun - 14:53

@Saracene wrote:I now rewatched this movie too and I take back what said about Attack of the Clones - this movie is infinitely worse. I haven't watched it since it came out in the cinemas and good lord I forgot what a trainwreck Jar Jar Binks is. Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually prefer Christensen's Anakin to this bloody little kid and is it a requirement of the office that a queen of Naboo must speak like a friggin' robot? The plot with the Federation and siege of Naboo is a total snoozefest and the opening crawl is almost enough to put you to sleep. I know most people like Liam Neeson here but to me he just looks like he took a shot of tranqulizers and had the life sucked out of him. If he's meant to be a more rebellious Jedi why is he so bloody boring? McGregor and McDiarmid, the saving graces of later films, don't have much to do here.

What I liked:

- Well the final duel is still pretty damn great, even if it's intercut with the adventures of the wunderkind and Jar Jar's slapstick sith. I think it's pretty much the sole reason why I had thought that this movie was better than AoTC. Darth Maul is basically nothing but a face paint and a cool lightsaber and he's a bit of a shortarse, but his look is sure memorable and Ray Park can move.
@Saracene

If the story had only Qui-Gon, Obi-wan and Darth Maul......with a really really brief appearance by Padme and a young Anakin (not a 9 year old but maybe someone closer to 11-12)...and no Jar Jar.... I would have liked the movie a lot! Razz

_________________
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 2831
Likes : 10269
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Episodes I-VII Viewing Party: THE PHANTOM MENACE

Post by Search Your Feelings on Sat 18 Jun - 23:01

@panki wrote:
@Saracene wrote:I now rewatched this movie too and I take back what said about Attack of the Clones - this movie is infinitely worse. I haven't watched it since it came out in the cinemas and good lord I forgot what a trainwreck Jar Jar Binks is. Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually prefer Christensen's Anakin to this bloody little kid and is it a requirement of the office that a queen of Naboo must speak like a friggin' robot? The plot with the Federation and siege of Naboo is a total snoozefest and the opening crawl is almost enough to put you to sleep. I know most people like Liam Neeson here but to me he just looks like he took a shot of tranqulizers and had the life sucked out of him. If he's meant to be a more rebellious Jedi why is he so bloody boring? McGregor and McDiarmid, the saving graces of later films, don't have much to do here.

What I liked:

- Well the final duel is still pretty damn great, even if it's intercut with the adventures of the wunderkind and Jar Jar's slapstick sith. I think it's pretty much the sole reason why I had thought that this movie was better than AoTC. Darth Maul is basically nothing but a face paint and a cool lightsaber and he's a bit of a shortarse, but his look is sure memorable and Ray Park can move.
@Saracene

If the story had only Qui-Gon, Obi-wan and Darth Maul......with a really really brief appearance by Padme and a young Anakin (not a 9 year old but maybe someone closer to 11-12)...and no Jar Jar.... I would have liked the movie a lot! Razz
@panki

This! A thousand times. Also, get rid of the gungans and the trade federation as well. Boring and stupid.

Also, if Anakin started off as 11 years old and was an intelligent, quiet kid fighting his darkside tendencies only because of his mother and Watto was a nasty human slaver who really treated them badly, I would've loved it.
avatar
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 304
Likes : 2069
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-29

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum