Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Darth Rowan on Fri 10 Jun - 15:09

Hmm. To me the part that is clear regarding Ben's lack of interest is the nobility/royal titles thing. Other than that, I interpreted that Leia felt that Han was disappointed that he wasn't able to teach Ben "all he knew" and mentor him as a pilot, but did we hear that Ben wasn't interested? Idk, I'd have to re-read that but that's not the impression I got. Though as you say @Birdwoman, it would be telling about possible tension with Han and Ben if it was the case.

I do wonder why it is that Ben wasn't flying with Han the way Greer was, for example. I wonder if it is because the Force took precedence over all of that and he just had to go off with Luke. Maybe it was Leia's decision, not Ben's. Her "I just never should have sent him away" seems to take responsibility for Ben's absence. Just speculation, no way to know for sure.

Incidentally, I think it would be interesting if Ben and Greer had a history, some kind of past romance, but there is no hint of that in the novel. Maybe for the best, he's a clean slate for Rey. XD

_________________
"We'll see."
avatar
Darth Rowan
Admin

Messages : 2071
Likes : 5651
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by panki on Fri 10 Jun - 15:26

@Darth Rowan wrote:Hmm. To me the part that is clear regarding Ben's lack of interest is the nobility/royal titles thing. Other than that, I interpreted that Leia felt that Han was disappointed that he wasn't able to teach Ben "all he knew" and mentor him as a pilot, but did we hear that Ben wasn't interested? Idk, I'd have to re-read that but that's not the impression I got. Though as you say @Birdwoman, it would be telling about possible tension with Han and Ben if it was the case.

I do wonder why it is that Ben wasn't flying with Han the way Greer was, for example. I wonder if it is because the Force took precedence over all of that and he just had to go off with Luke. Maybe it was Leia's decision, not Ben's. Her "I just never should have sent him away" seems to take responsibility for Ben's absence. Just speculation, no way to know for sure.

Incidentally, I think it would be interesting if Ben and Greer had a history, some kind of past romance, but there is no hint of that in the novel. Maybe for the best, he's a clean slate for Rey. XD
@Darth Rowan

I also wondered the same thing- whether Ben and Greer had a romance...but it seems unlikely.

Spoiler:
Bloodline's tie-in short story 'Scorched' mentions that Greer had a nasty ex-bf, she hadn't met Han yet (till the the end of the story when she discovers a pilot who was giving her guidance was Han) and she was participating in a race to join Han's team..... she had started showing symptoms of Bloodburn but it hadn't been diagnosed as yet.....she was planning on visiting a doctor after the race.... I think she was diagnosed with Bloodburn shortly after meeting Han so he got her a job with Leia....the story made me think Rey reminded Han of Greer

_________________
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 2826
Likes : 10257
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Darth Rowan on Fri 10 Jun - 15:49

@panki wrote:
@Darth Rowan wrote:Hmm. To me the part that is clear regarding Ben's lack of interest is the nobility/royal titles thing. Other than that, I interpreted that Leia felt that Han was disappointed that he wasn't able to teach Ben "all he knew" and mentor him as a pilot, but did we hear that Ben wasn't interested? Idk, I'd have to re-read that but that's not the impression I got. Though as you say @Birdwoman, it would be telling about possible tension with Han and Ben if it was the case.

I do wonder why it is that Ben wasn't flying with Han the way Greer was, for example. I wonder if it is because the Force took precedence over all of that and he just had to go off with Luke. Maybe it was Leia's decision, not Ben's. Her "I just never should have sent him away" seems to take responsibility for Ben's absence. Just speculation, no way to know for sure.

Incidentally, I think it would be interesting if Ben and Greer had a history, some kind of past romance, but there is no hint of that in the novel. Maybe for the best, he's a clean slate for Rey. XD
@Darth Rowan

I also wondered the same thing- whether Ben and Greer had a romance...but it seems unlikely.

Spoiler:
Bloodline's tie-in short story 'Scorched' mentions that Greer had a nasty ex-bf,  she hadn't met Han yet (till the the end of the story when she discovers a pilot who was giving her guidance was Han) and she was participating in a race to join Han's team..... she had started showing symptoms of Bloodburn but it hadn't been diagnosed as yet.....she was planning on visiting a doctor after the race.... I think she was diagnosed with Bloodburn shortly after meeting Han so he got her a job with Leia....the story made me think Rey reminded Han of Greer
@panki
Good point; I should've known you'd already read "Scorched" lol.

About the Rey and Greer parallel: I fully agree! I forgot to mention that earlier: to me that explains perfectly why Han took such a liking to Rey and essentially offered to mentor her after knowing her all of 5 minutes. Transference, because Rey is a young girl who proves to be an incredibly gifted pilot and is also tough as nails and that has Greer written all over it. That adds another layer to the whole father figure Han dynamic with Rey. If you think about it, Han trained Greer and these other kids because he couldn't mentor his own son.

Imo that is exactly what novels are supposed to do: compliment what we see on film and add another layer to the proceedings. Bloodline has been very successful in that way, I'm pleased I read it (unlike the TFA novelization, ugh).

Anyway, beyond Greer's back story the fact that Greer and Rey are similar in some of the bare bones basics is ultimately what convinced me that Ben and Greer probably did not have some kind of romance. It's true that some people have a "type" and maybe "steel magnolia fly girl" is Ben's, but it would be too rehashy to have him date both Rey and Greer, imo. Oh well, Reylo it is then. Twisted Evil

_________________
"We'll see."
avatar
Darth Rowan
Admin

Messages : 2071
Likes : 5651
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by SanghaRen on Fri 10 Jun - 16:18

@salmund and @Darth Rowan

Glad I am not the only one feeling the vibes between Greer and Casterfo. More from Casterfo though. I totally agree with you, Darth Rowan, why the hell would the guy care if she is off to a lover if there was not something already boiling there especially after admiring her all dolled up... I also only see Greer and Joph as having a sort of sister/brother relationship To me the parallels Rey/Kylo with Greer/Casterfo and Rey/Finn with Greer/Joph were very present, but I assumed that it was me projecting TFA on it. Now, if others are picking up on it -> Claudia Gray, explain yourself!

I still have hope that the end is not what it seems : in SW no dead body, not dead, right?

Han - bloodburn: I wonder if they want to go in the direction of introducing an illness in the movies. Unless this has a big impact on the story, I personally don't see much value to it because you have to explain it to the general audience. I think it's interesting in the book because it adds details and depth to the story, but in 4-5 hours of movie, I don't know. I'd rather they show us force moments than illnesses. It would also reduce for me the impact of Han chosing to go to Ben and show him that he does love him and wants him back. It would feel like "I am going to die anyway, so I might as well go to my son now."
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1195
Likes : 6045
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 11 Jun - 2:41

I thought for a bit that Casterfo and Greer would fall in love. But, they didn't or at least she didn't. Wink

Birdwoman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 606
Likes : 2592
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Irina de France on Sat 11 Jun - 2:42

@Birdwoman wrote:I thought for a bit that Casterfo and Greer would fall in love. But, they didn't or at least she didn't. Wink
@Birdwoman

Well, poor Greer doesn't have much time left to live, so she probably doesn't want to get attached to anyone Sad
avatar
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1209
Likes : 6178
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 21
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 11 Jun - 2:52

@Darth Rowan wrote:Hmm. To me the part that is clear regarding Ben's lack of interest is the nobility/royal titles thing. Other than that, I interpreted that Leia felt that Han was disappointed that he wasn't able to teach Ben "all he knew" and mentor him as a pilot, but did we hear that Ben wasn't interested? Idk, I'd have to re-read that but that's not the impression I got. Though as you say @Birdwoman, it would be telling about possible tension with Han and Ben if it was the case.

I do wonder why it is that Ben wasn't flying with Han the way Greer was, for example. I wonder if it is because the Force took precedence over all of that and he just had to go off with Luke. Maybe it was Leia's decision, not Ben's. Her "I just never should have sent him away" seems to take responsibility for Ben's absence. Just speculation, no way to know for sure.

Incidentally, I think it would be interesting if Ben and Greer had a history, some kind of past romance, but there is no hint of that in the novel. Maybe for the best, he's a clean slate for Rey. XD
@Darth Rowan

This is so funny because before we learned that Greer had bloodburn I thought she might be visiting the hospital/clinic because she had a disabled baby she told no one about. Then I suddenly thought, "What if that baby was Ben's baby?! Maybe that's why he had to get sent away!" Laughing Laughing Laughing But then I told myself to take the soap-opera goggles off because Leia would still fuss over that baby and Leia wouldn't send Ben away for that. She also was so positive in her thoughts of Ben that I didn't think this could be possible.

Though @panki, related to your point ... I wonder how Ben thought of people like Greer. Both Han and Leia had all these "surrogate children" that they mentored, while their own son was nowhere to be found. Why did Ben have to be sent away? Was his force that strong? I doubt Han was for him being sent away because of how Han felt about the force. Was Ben just blowing things up with no control so he had to go? There is something there ... because even though Han and Leia were not the best parents, all those surrogate kids seems to indicate a need to fill a void somehow.

avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3103
Likes : 13603
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 11 Jun - 3:05

Ben has offspring?! Oh my god, that would give the rey skywalker fans their dream come true. Razz

Birdwoman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 606
Likes : 2592
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 12 Jun - 14:18

I think it was Pablo Hidalgo who mentioned that Claudia Gray was given a kind of one pager and she expanded on it. I would give a lot to see that one pager because I really wonder if the parallels between some of the characters in the book and in TFA were Claudia Gray's idea or if they were in that one pager. Or maybe they are just coincidental. Or Claudia Gray was influenced by TFA in a subconscious way. Or they're some readers like *cough* me projecting.

The parallels between Ransolm and Ben really puzzle me. Are there on purpose? I've had even before reading Bloodline the image of KR surrendering to his mother and the Resistance, but someone from the Resistance - Laura Dern's character maybe - delivering him to the Republic to get executed. In my head canon, Leia was also saying good bye to KR on his way to execution so I was a bit surprised to see the final Leia/Ransolm scene in Bloodline - my Leia/Kylo scene Shocked Obviously in my version Rey would break KR out making them both wanted by the Republic, and of course the FO. Officially she would break him out to achieve whatever force mission. Non officially it would be open to debate for the next 2 years until 2019 Smile

Is there any other Bloodline-like book planned? I am craving for one.
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1195
Likes : 6045
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Irina de France on Sun 12 Jun - 14:21

@SanghaRen wrote:Is there any other Bloodline-like book planned? I am craving for one.
@SanghaRen

Claudia Gray mentioned in an Bloodline interview she wasn't working on any SW novel at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask her eventually for another one, considering how well Bloodline did. She did say she left Ransolm's death sort of ambiguous to get to write about him, more, though Wink
avatar
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1209
Likes : 6178
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 21
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 12 Jun - 14:35

@Irina de France wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:Is there any other Bloodline-like book planned? I am craving for one.
@SanghaRen

Claudia Gray mentioned in an Bloodline interview she wasn't working on any SW novel at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask her eventually for another one, considering how well Bloodline did. She did say she left Ransolm's death sort of ambiguous to get to write about him, more, though Wink
@Irina de France

Well, we need something to sink our teeth into until VIII. So would be really nice if we could get one next year. I suggest, she writes the next novelizations too :-) But maybe that's not her cup of tea.
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1195
Likes : 6045
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Irina de France on Sun 12 Jun - 14:37

@SanghaRen wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:Is there any other Bloodline-like book planned? I am craving for one.
@SanghaRen

Claudia Gray mentioned in an Bloodline interview she wasn't working on any SW novel at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask her eventually for another one, considering how well Bloodline did. She did say she left Ransolm's death sort of ambiguous to get to write about him, more, though Wink
@Irina de France

Well, we need something to sink our teeth into until VIII. So would be really nice if we could get one next year. I suggest, she writes the next novelizations too :-) But maybe that's not her cup of tea.
@SanghaRen

Well, Rogue One is coming up, so I don't think we'll be let in the blue until 2017 Wink
avatar
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1209
Likes : 6178
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 21
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 12 Jun - 14:50

@Irina de France

True, but I am not convinced by Rogue One yet. I will most probably watch it, but so far I don't share the excitement. I also only got into TFA fever - sort of, I only watched the trailers and avoided all spoilery sites - a couple of months before it hit the theater so who knows.
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1195
Likes : 6045
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Tue 14 Jun - 23:37

I really loved Bloodline! I skim read it the first time around because I was impatient to know what happened. I just read it again, slower this time.

Ransolm Casterfo has become one of my favourite ever Star Wars characters. He is just fabulous. At the start, you're with Leia in thinking he's an ambitious opportunist. But as his layers are uncovered and you get the measure of the man, you can't help feeling for him as Leia does by the end. I hope Ransolm escaped somehow or got broke out of prison by the resistance. If any of these characters were to show up in the films, I'd love it to be him.

I also loved Claudia Gray's characterization of Leia. I felt she really captured her fighting spirit and strength. I loved how murky the world of politics was in the galaxy, much like our own! You really got the sense that although Leia was committed to doing her best as a Senator, she never left the rebel mentality behind. She can be ruthless in pursuit of her aims even if that means there is collateral damage, like with what happened on Sibensko. This seems to be a trait Ben has inherited, albeit in pursuit of a different agenda to his mother's. It almost felt like Leia was coming home at the end, with the formation of the resistance. I don't believe she wanted it to come to that, but there was an acceptance and resignation as if she'd always been expecting it. She never really left it behind.

Lady Carise Sindian was despicable, but she made for a good villain. It is interesting that her home planet of Arkanis is the same place Hux and his father, Brendol came from. Unless she broke ties with the First Order in the 5-6 years before the events of TFA, I'm assuming she probably wasn't on Hosnian Prime when Starkiller wiped it out.

It was great to have a bit of Han in there, too. He and Leia obviously loved each other very much but neither were the type to put their marriage before their other passions in life. I can certainly understand how Ben could have got lost in the middle of it all. Not that his parents didn't love him. Bloodline makes a few mentions of Leia thinking about Ben and how much she loves and misses him, but he also doesn't seem to be her first thought or priority (except for after the Vader reveal when she makes the holocam recording for her son).

I do wonder how the Vader reveal played into Ben's decision to join Snoke and the First Order, or if something else happened before he even heard the truth about his grandfather. The whole business with Luke and his Jedi artefact hunting and his acolytes, certainly suggests that there were other factors at play. There is an ominous undertone to the fact that Luke and Ben had been unreachable for some time, even though Leia didn't seem to regard it as unusual or alarming in any way. Luke presumably informed Leia and Han about the destruction of his Jedi order and Ben's part in it before he took off to find the first Jedi temple so he must have been able to get in contact at some point. Maybe Ben never got to see the message his mother recorded for him. As the Vader reveal was depicted in Bloodline and not TFA, I'm thinking that whatever turned Ben into Kylo Ren had to be something more than finding out his grandfather was Darth Vader. There seems to have been an ideological parting of ways at some point with his family which could have already taken place. It puts me in mind of Palpatine's manipulation of Anakin in regards to his frustrations about the senate. Snoke probably played heavily on that too, knowing as he must have done about Leia's troubles as a Senator and the mire with the populists and centrists. There could have been frustrations between Luke and Ben over the use of Jedi powers, again like his grandfather had issues with the Jedi Council. Perhaps in their hunts for old Jedi lore, they discovered the first Jedi utilised both sides of the force, light and dark (as I think happened in the EU) and Luke and Ben disagreed over reviving the old practices. There are so many possibilities, I can't wait to find out what exactly did happen there.

I haven't read Lost Stars yet so I think I'll give that a go next. I would definitely read any future Star Wars books Claudia Gray writes.
avatar
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1860
Likes : 12607
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by ReyofLightSide on Wed 6 Jul - 2:00

I posted this in the Ep VIII spoiler thread. Some tumblr theories think Snoke was an early backer of the FO. What if- Lady Carise is Snoke?
Would explain the hologram.
Or, if Snoke was Brendol Hux.

Either way, I think there was a reason to mention them both in Bloodline...
avatar
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 777
Likes : 4061
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-30
Localisation : US

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by IoJovi on Wed 6 Jul - 2:02

@ReyofLightSide wrote:I posted this in the Ep VIII spoiler thread. Some tumblr theories think Snoke was an early backer of the FO. What if- Lady Carise is Snoke?
Would explain the hologram.
Or, if Snoke was Brendol Hux.

Either way, I think there was a reason to mention them both in Bloodline...
@ReyofLightSide

Well, it was stated in Bloodlines that there was a Great evil older than the Empire that had been brewing from an ancient part of the galaxy. To me, Lady Carise seemed just like another pawn in the grand scheme of things. Whatever it is, I get the feeling it's much bigger than her.

_________________
"By the grace of your training, I will not be seduced."

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 5512
Likes : 29938
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Irina de France on Wed 6 Jul - 14:03

@IoJovi wrote:
@ReyofLightSide wrote:I posted this in the Ep VIII spoiler thread. Some tumblr theories think Snoke was an early backer of the FO. What if- Lady Carise is Snoke?
Would explain the hologram.
Or, if Snoke was Brendol Hux.

Either way, I think there was a reason to mention them both in Bloodline...
@ReyofLightSide

Well, it was stated in Bloodlines that there was a Great evil older than the Empire that had been brewing from an ancient part of the galaxy. To me, Lady Carise seemed just like another pawn in the grand scheme of things. Whatever it is, I get the feeling it's much bigger than her.
@IoJovi

Lady Carise is a bit too young to be Snoke. But I will be surprised if she isn't mentioned in some way in VIII, with the Dubrovnik planet looking fancy and all...
avatar
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1209
Likes : 6178
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 21
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Birdwoman on Wed 6 Jul - 14:34

I think Snoke was alluded too with evil doer in an ancient part of the galaxy. Lady Carise, just seemed like a crony type to me. She was in on it but was not Snoke.

I really, really enjoyed Bloodlines. I might give Aftermath; Life Debt a try when it comes out.

Birdwoman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 606
Likes : 2592
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 9 Jul - 7:38

@IoJovi wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:Turning at 23 is not the issue, I think. It was implied so in the latest information.

The issue to me is if we end up with a merry Kylo until he turned for whatever reason at 23. The reason might be valid, but the character for me would not correspond to what I saw in TFA. I imagined him as a kid who was always a bit different and lonely and whose trajectory would - naturally I would say - be a tragic one. Not a "normal" kid and teenager that made a 180 degree turn as a young adult.

If it is so, it would ruin it for me a bit. I am not so sure about how much I'd relate to the character still. And listening to Adam Driver talking about the character, he did sound as a lost kid whose parents were not present (enough). So would be a bit sloppy story telling just to create confusion. Life ain't easy in fandom. Sometimes I feel like it was better when you had only movies Smile

15 is a bit old to start training, no? Unless Han did not want him to be trained. Could have been a subject of discord between Leia and Han until Han gave up arguing and Ben was sent to Luke.
@SanghaRen

Again though, this story is told from Leia's perspective. I am absolutely sure had she known something was wrong, she would have done more to change it, other than just sending Ben to Luke. She was a busy politician and didn't have her eyes 100% on their son where they should have been. This falls in line with my own headcanon where she just wasn't there to the degree she should have been. It doesn't make her a person with bad intentions - just someone who got caught up in other details to the point where when she wanted to save her son, it was too late.
@IoJovi

Exactly.
Claudia's book is Leia's story, not Ben's. We are seeing her side of the story. I haven't read the novel, but I've spoken to people who have, and there is no real reason to believe that Kylo's 'backstory' isn't going to be as sympathetic as we hope for. Several things point to this.

First of all, Leia makes no mention of Snoke being 'inside her son's head'. That probably just means she didn't know. If Ben was the kind of child who kept things to himself, he in all likelihood he simply didn't tell his parents.

Secondly, although 'Bloodline' states that Han and Leia didn't separate until after Ben 'turned', they fought a lot and Han was absent a good part of their marriage - not necessarily because they fought, but he wasn't there. This is canon, as Leia in TFA tells him "No matter how often we fought, I always hated to see you leave." Add to this Leia being occupied with rebuilding the Republic, and once again we have evidence Ben never told his parents about the voices in his head - they just weren't there to listen to him. No

Thirdly, just because Ben didn't 'turn' as an adult doesn't mean he didn't have Snoke 'in his head' most of his life - again his parents just didn't know.
I seriously doubt JJ Abrams would go on record as often as he has that Ben was 'groomed' from an early age if it was just going to be debunked - he may not have directed Episode VIII but he's remaining as executive producer. And Adam Driver has also stated, on record, that Han and Leia were so preoccupied with 'other things' that they didn't have enough time for their child. This doesn't mean they didn't love him, just that for Leia the 'greater good' came first. And Han was, let's face it, self serving in many ways - he had to be bribed to rescue the woman he eventually married in ANH!
Which makes his extraordinary sacrifice at the end of TFA so powerful - his last act in life was one of forgiveness.

One thing I do think, however, is that it still could have been Ben who 'dropped' Rey on Jakku; it just happened before he 'turned'. He would have been about fifteen when she was 'dropped'. And it may have been for a very good reason.

avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1819
Likes : 7436
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Mana on Sat 9 Jul - 8:13

I think people refuse to see the shades of grey. Nobody is saying that Han and Leia were terrible parents or were abusive to Ben or each other, all evidence points to the fact that they loved Ben unconditionally. But it is canon that they "weren't there enough to guide him" (JJ's words not mine), that doesn't mean they were bad parents and it's not about blaming Han and Leia, its about what made Ben more vulnerable to Snoke.
avatar
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1248
Likes : 10713
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 25
Localisation : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 10 Jul - 11:23

@motherofpearl1

Hi there! I just realized I was tagged. That was an old post of mine. I have processed it since :-) Plus I read Bloodlines and I agree that Leia has probably missed a great deal of what was going on with her son. Not because she does not care - definitively not - but she had a lot on her plate and thought he was doing ok with Luke. The rest is up to speculation.

You could be right about Ben dropping Rey on Jakku. It's difficult to know if his "it is you" reaction in the snow battle was only a recognition of her being the awakening in the Force or also the realization that she is this girl he once dropped on Jakku. What bothers me is that she was left with that slimy Unkar Plutt and who would do that? The way Kylo was depicted, with high sensibility, I have a hard time seeing him leaving a liitle girl with Plutt even as a troubled teenager. But could be a no choice situation.
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1195
Likes : 6045
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 12 Jul - 7:34

@SanghaRen wrote:@motherofpearl1

Hi there! I just realized I was tagged. That was an old post of mine. I have processed it since :-) Plus I read Bloodlines and I agree that Leia has probably missed a great deal of what was going on with her son. Not because she does not care - definitively not - but she had a lot on her plate and thought he was doing ok with Luke. The rest is up to speculation.

You could be right about Ben dropping Rey on Jakku. It's difficult to know if his "it is you" reaction in the snow battle was only a recognition of her being the awakening in the Force or also the realization that she is this girl he once dropped on Jakku. What bothers me is that she was left with that slimy Unkar Plutt and who would do that? The way Kylo was depicted, with high sensibility, I have a hard time seeing him leaving a liitle girl with Plutt even as a troubled teenager. But could be a no choice situation.

@SanghaRen

Perhaps he was the only one available and Ben used a 'Jedi mind trick' to compel him never to harm her - like Obi Wan did with the drug dealer in AOTC! Very Happy
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1819
Likes : 7436
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 23 Jul - 16:14

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Is there anything to contradict that Ben may have been sent away to Luke at the age of 19, and then turned/joined Snoke/became a murderer at 23?

Perhaps Ben was already training to be a pilot, and there was some sort of incident that freaked out Han and Leia, where she pulled him out of his pilot training program and sent him to Luke?  I could see that triggering a lot of initial resentment, and then maybe something happened at 23 that pushed him over the edge?
@ISeeAnIsland

I like this idea a lot. I actually don't see Han and Leia pushing the Jedi path too easily. It felt last resort-ish to me and it sounds like Han was against it because Leia says that's "when I lost you both." Also Kylo said Ben was weak and foolish. He probably really wanted to be pilot like his father and Luke and when that went bad somehow he lost it and was maybe sent to "Luke rehab". The flying may have been the thing that kept Snoke at bay and when that was gone it was downhill from there. I would probably prefer him to be a little younger than 19 because he would still be a minor so to speak when sent ... but I could see massive resentment over this. Also, I wonder if his freak out that got him sent to Luke caused his mother political trouble.
@SoloSideCousin
Yup, that's what I was thinking. I can't really see Ben wanting to be a traditional Jedi (if that's what Luke was teaching) with his very emotional personality, either.
@ISeeAnIsland

Sorry to say this as I love the OT cast but...

They really let him down didn't they?
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1819
Likes : 7436
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by vaderito on Sat 23 Jul - 18:03

@motherofpearl1 Nothing wrong with saying that they let him down. They are flawed characters, good people but human. It's fans who put them on pedestal of untouchable perfection that have problem with this development which is very much in line with what we knew about them from OT. Han and Leia were classic case of opposite attracts which means lots of love and passion but not exactly the best scenario for raising children. So nothing out of character here. Leia remained in politics, Han kept looking for thrills and a child got caught in the middle while Snoke was spreading his net.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7174
Likes : 34209
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Bloodline Novel by Claudia Gray

Post by Slade on Sat 23 Jul - 19:10

Yeah, they did a rather brilliant job of showing how Kylo was affected by his parents' traits that make them flawed parents.  It was brave of TPTB to do, and I think this new trilogy has the potential to really go above and beyond the OT...
avatar
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 930
Likes : 3255
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-25

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum