General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 pm

@panki wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:The Force Awakens comic #2 is out...... still no unmasked Kylo..... Mad Mad Mad Mad But hopefully we'll get the bridal carry in the next comic... Very Happy

The good news- Finn and Rey have been depicted like a pair of bickering siblings so far Very Happy

In the meantime, a little space rage....  Twisted Evil  

Spoiler:
@panki

Oh my goodness... looks like the artwork still hasn't improved. The first issue was awful! Poe looked like he was in his sixties LOL! Oh well, looking forward to seeing the Reylo interactions anyway.

Hey Panki, did you ever read the Obsession comics?
@AppleCrumble122

I LOVE the Obsession series!!! Am hoping some of the stories are brought into canon..... Very Happy
@panki

Whoo! Silly question I know, of course you would have lol Wink. I'm gonna be honest, I was really disappointed that the Obi-Wan/Asajj relationship wasn't brought into canon - specifically the 2008 Clone Wars. There were hints of it here and there but it wasn't fully explored, but the relationship was so intense and engaging with ambiguity in it as in you never never really sure what their true feelings for each other were and in my opinion it fitted with the whole redemption theme of SW as well as the hero/villain romance themes. Still I haven't seen all of Clone Wars so I don't know the full extent of the Obi-Wan/Satine relationship and I haven't read Dark Disciple either (that's on my reading list lol).

I also loved how they brought Durge back and he got better development in it then the 2003 Clone Wars. Do you think he'll ever come back into canon?
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:21 pm

@Armadeus wrote:Anyone seen the latest issue of the Journal of Ben Kenobi?

Holy crap, Owen and Beru are kinda awesome.
@Armadeus

@Armadeus

Uncle Owen's attempts to bond with Luke are especially touching...and I like how he winks at Obi-wan at the end of the story....that was really nice. Smile
What did you think of Obi-wan, Owen and Black Krrsantan's fight? I thought it was beautifully illustrated....actually, all the Old Man Kenobi comics have some of the best artwork.

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:58 pm

@panki wrote:

@Armadeus

@Armadeus

Uncle Owen's attempts to bond with Luke are especially touching...and I like how he winks at Obi-wan at the end of the story....that was really nice. Smile
What did you think of Obi-wan, Owen and Black Krrsantan's fight? I thought it was beautifully illustrated....actually, all the Old Man Kenobi comics have some of the best artwork.
@panki

It was to see that Owen genuinely enjoys spending time with Luke. Nice change from the over-protective curmudgeon we see in ANH Razz

I really liked the fight. One of my favourite parts was when Obi-Wan's mind trick on Black Krrrsantan fails miserably lol!

Also, special mention must be given to Obi-Wan's pose when he surprises Krrrsantan as the latter is beating Owen Very Happy
Armadeus
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Wow, how many comics are out there? My problem with comics is it reads so quickly and then I am like "That's it? Where is the rest of it?" And then I don't feel like filling my cupboards with comics. I tried the electronic ones - Mad Max not SW - on my iPad but it's not the same. So I prefer the novels. However, I would really love it if they would put drawings of the characters in the novels. Sometimes they describe a specy and I still have a hard time picturing it in my head. So I'd need something in between comics and novels Smile I did buy a Leia comic a couple of weeks ago in the US but it was more as a souvenir. Have not read it yet.

I finished A New Dawn. I am still in the middle of Aftermath - Life Debt. Unfortunately I kind of started the 2 novels in parallel but was more interested in finishing A New Dawn. Now that I am back to Life Debt, I have to readjust to the story. I must admit I tend to forget names. Now if there was a picture with the name, I'd remember better.

I will be relying on you @panki before buying the TFA comics. If there is anything annoying in terms of how the characters and their dynamic are described in the last 2 issues, I won't buy it. I still clench my teeth thinking about the novelizations.
SanghaRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:09 am

@SanghaRen wrote:Wow, how many comics are out there? My problem with comics is it reads so quickly and then I am like "That's it? Where is the rest of it?" And then I don't feel like filling my cupboards with comics. I tried the electronic ones - Mad Max not SW - on my iPad but it's not the same. So I prefer the novels. However, I would really love it if they would put drawings of the characters in the novels. Sometimes they describe a specy and I still have a hard time picturing it in my head. So I'd need something in between comics and novels Smile I did buy a Leia comic a couple of weeks ago in the US but it was more as a souvenir. Have not read it yet.

I finished A New Dawn. I am still in the middle of Aftermath - Life Debt. Unfortunately I kind of started the 2 novels in parallel but was more interested in finishing A New Dawn. Now that I am back to Life Debt, I have to readjust to the story. I must admit I tend to forget names. Now if there was a picture with the name, I'd remember better.

I will be relying on you @panki before buying the TFA comics. If there is anything annoying in terms of how the characters and their dynamic are described in the last 2 issues, I won't buy it. I still clench my teeth thinking about the novelizations.
@SanghaRen

I wouldn't mind a couple of illustrations in the novels either.....I would love to see what some of the characters are actually supposed to look like.

Most of the comics have excellent illustrations but not too much in terms of spoilers.....the problem is that in each series, one or two of the comics contain important spoilers linked to future events....so you're stuck reading a lot of irrelevant stuff in the hope that you find that one nugget of great information.....being a comic fan, I dont mind getting them but it might not be for everyone....as of now, I really love the Vader comic series.... there is only one issue left before the series ends (a 40 page special)....am really looking forward to it.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:25 am

@Darth Dingbat

You made it, I read "The Perfect Weapon" instead of finishing Life Debt Very Happy I am very intrigued and very confused too. You are indeed left wondering if it doesn't tie into TFA or VIII. If TFA, I guess we'll have the answer through a book but I do not quite understand why they would not just say it. I doubt many people will read the book. If VIII we might see a glimpse of Bazine again. Anyone knows if the actress is in the cast of VIII? What bugs me is that whatever Bazine retrieved sounds extremely important, but then they put the backstory in a small novel and sell the Kindle version for less than 1 EUR. Or is Lucasfilm playing with us and they are just going to open a new storyline that has no direct ties with the ST? I really am confused by what their target is with this book...

So now, what do you think is in the d*** case? You or anyone else who read the novella. I tag you because you mentioned the book. I first thought of these possibilities:

Spoiler:

- Darth Vader's helmet. But everyone seems to think it's something very important and am not sure that the helmet would be worth that much unless Snoke really sees it as a crucial tool to turn Ben and put a heavy bounty on it. The timeline is not clear, but due to Bazine's appearance, I'd say it's maximum 10 years before TFA. That could fit, but why would a mentally unstable ex-stormtrooper be allowed to keep a case with the helmet? Unless they retrieved and got influenced by it and were then sort of quarantined.
- The map to the First Jedi Temple or an indication that Lor San Tekka holds the map. Why would an ex-stormtrooper have that? Why did no one take it from him?

I always bump into the obstacle of the timeline - apparently some time after Aftermath and before TFA -, the fact that it's been in the case for some years and some people know about it, and the fact that it must have seemed like nothing while being of utter importance - I don't see how the person who had it would have been allowed to keep it if its value was obvious.

A couple of other ideas:

Spoiler:

- Scramblings that look like the drawings of a mentally ill person but actually represent something. But what?
- Something that looks like a toy but is a key to something in the Jedi Temple which is now in the possession of a relic collector. BDT? This collector persona is sticking on him... So only connoisseurs would know the worth of it. That'd be the most viable option because the audience does not need the explanation and just a glimps would make the ones who read the novel happy.

I am not very clear in my head today and I am not a good investigator. Bazine would not want me as a partner Smile She does not like partners anyway.
SanghaRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:40 pm

@panki wrote:@SanghaRen

I actually have a crack theory for this one...

Spoiler:
Could Maz Kanata have commissioned Bazine to fetch the legacy lightsaber for her? That might have been the interesting story she wanted to tell Han.
@panki

I thought about that object too, but

Spoiler:
Not that Maz commissioned it. What bothers me is that Maz said she had it for some time and I took it as a very long time. I am still convinced that Kylo had the lightsaber at some point and Maz took it from him. So did the ex-stormtrooper have it before or after Kylo and why did no one in the med center take it from him? The lack of clear timeline is annoying.
SanghaRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:15 pm

@SanghaRen

Spoiler:
I would love a scenario where the FO commissioned Bazine to steal it so they could obtain it for Kylo but Maz foils the plan and steals the lightsaber from them Very Happy (didn't Bazine see that droid that exploded in Maz's castle?)

In the EU, there is this awesome story of where the lightsaber goes after Bespin...it goes to various random people and the story ends with Ben Skywalker claiming it back to prevent a Snoke like character from misusing it.....I hope that happens in episode 9.

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:19 pm

@panki wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:

Spoiler:
Could Maz Kanata have commissioned Bazine to fetch the legacy lightsaber for her? That might have been the interesting story she wanted to tell Han.
@panki

Spoiler:
Not that Maz commissioned it. What bothers me is that Maz said she had it for some time and I took it as a very long time. I am still convinced that Kylo had the lightsaber at some point and Maz took it from him. So did the ex-stormtrooper have it before or after Kylo and why did no one in the med center take it from him? The lack of clear timeline is annoying.
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:
I would love a scenario where the FO commissioned Bazine to steal it so they could obtain it for Kylo but Maz foils the plan and steals the lightsaber from them Very Happy (didn't Bazine see that droid that exploded in Maz's castle?)

In the EU, there is this awesome story of where the lightsaber goes after Bespin and it ends with Ben Skywalker claiming it back to prevent a Snoke like character from claiming it.....I hope that happens in episode 9.

@panki

Spoiler:
That story with Ben Skywalker was interesting but it was non-canon in the EU timeline. Wink
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 pm

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:

Spoiler:
@panki

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:

In the EU, there is this awesome story of where the lightsaber goes after Bespin and it ends with Ben Skywalker claiming it back to prevent a Snoke like character from claiming it.....I hope that happens in episode 9.

@panki

Spoiler:
That story with Ben Skywalker was interesting but it was non-canon in the EU timeline. Wink
@AppleCrumble122

I know..... But it would be funny and quirky if what was non-canon in EU becomes canon. Anyway, I only posted the page because that is a scenario I would really like to see. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:41 pm

@panki wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:

Spoiler:
@panki

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:

@panki

Spoiler:
@AppleCrumble122

I know..... But it would be funny and quirky if what was non-canon in EU becomes canon. Anyway, I only posted the page because that is a scenario I would really like to see. Smile
@panki

Well Darth Maul coming back in TCW was inspired by that non-canon EU story where he returned and tried to kill an infant Luke on Tattooine in order to draw out Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan had to defend Luke from him. I mean even the designs of the metal legs are the same! So if that can happen, who's to say this can't. Smile It would certainly be a awesome scenario to adapt into the new canon.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:52 pm

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:

Spoiler:
@panki

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:

@panki

Spoiler:
@AppleCrumble122

@panki

Well Darth Maul coming back in TCW was inspired by that non-canon EU story where he returned and tried to kill an infant Luke on Tattooine in order to draw out Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan had to defend Luke from him. I mean even the designs of the metal legs are the same! So if that can happen, who's to say this can't. Smile It would certainly be a awesome scenario to adapt into the new canon.
@AppleCrumble122

Its funny you should mention that Maul story..... I was just wondering a while ago whether we might see it in season 3 of Rebels.....a lot of fans have been wanting Obi-wan to return to Rebels.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:00 pm

@panki wrote:
Its funny you should mention that Maul story..... I was just wondering a while ago whether we might see it in season 3 of Rebels.....a lot of fans have been wanting Obi-wan to return to Rebels.... Smile

@panki One never knows! It certainly would be a perfect way to set up a final confrontation between Obi-Wan and Maul. The question is how would Maul be able to find him without them giving away their location (and also the question of Maul being able to find him where Vader and Palpatine couldn't).

AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:03 pm

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:

@panki One never knows! It certainly would be a perfect way to set up a final confrontation between Obi-Wan and Maul. The question is how would Maul be able to find him without them giving away their location (and also the question of Maul being able to find him where Vader and Palpatine couldn't).

@AppleCrumble122

The only way I can think up so far is that he finds out through Bo-Katan but she manages to warn Obi in time so he is ready and waiting....and finally dispatches Maul.

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:38 pm

@panki wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:

@AppleCrumble122

The only way I can think up so far is that he finds out through Bo-Katan but she manages to warn Obi in time so he is ready and waiting....and finally dispatches Maul.
@panki

Nooooo! Maul cannot die. He is immortal.
Jk I'm actually really worried Maul might die in this next season. I'm just in denial.
Maul forever! XD
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:43 pm

@jakkusun wrote:
@panki wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@panki wrote:

@AppleCrumble122

@panki

Nooooo! Maul cannot die. He is immortal.
Jk I'm actually really worried Maul might die in this next season. I'm just in denial.
Maul forever! XD
@jakkusun

Hahah....it is highly possible that Maul outlives everyone in the PT/OT and ST.....he seems devious enough to pull that off Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:47 am

Hang on, you've been discussing The Perfect Weapon here without me and @SanghaRen even tagged me but I didn't see! Bah.

I'll reply asap but in the meantime, any guesses what this might be:

http://www.newsarama.com/31099-another-star-wars-ongoing-by-gillen-walker.html
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:05 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Hang on, you've been discussing The Perfect Weapon here without me and @SanghaRen even tagged me but I didn't see! Bah.

I'll reply asap but in the meantime, any guesses what this might be:

http://www.newsarama.com/31099-another-star-wars-ongoing-by-gillen-walker.html
@Darth Dingbat

Ooooh...... I just read about this upcoming series yesterday..... the rumor is that the comics are about the adventures of Doctor Aphra.....but what if it is actually Bazine Netal who is getting her own comic series? Smile

SW: Classified is a placeholder title but if it gives us a clue as to the theme of the comic, I would say we're either seeing a series about bounty hunters, law enforcement, level 1313, assassins, Hutts etc.

Also, have you read about the upcoming Yoda story in Star Wars #26? It is another entry from the diary of Ben Kenobi and is supposed to be quite interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Due to her popularity, a new comic series has been announced which charts Doctor Aphra's adventures around with galaxy with her two murderous droids and wookie bounty hunter in tow.....we're going to learn more about the history of the galaxy and get more Old Republic related clues. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Probably U.S. only, but Penguin is doing a drawing for a pack with Carrie Fisher's Princess Diarist and Claudia Grey's Bloodline. It's a Leia two-fer and kind of a nice pairing given our speculation about how part of the ST is "making things right" for her:

May the Books Be WIth You: Enter to win a copy of Carrie Fisher's new memoir The Princess Diarist, and Claudia Gray's novel Bloodline.

Sweepstakes runs 22 November through 6 December.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 pm

@panki

So I read the first two Aphra comics. I think I complained about this before, but why are comics in general so short? In 10 minutes, it's gone.

One thing that bugs me in the Aphra comics specifically is how it jumps from one emotion to another for a character. I wish they would include intermediate drawings. Here you really go from pissed off Aphra to resigned Aphra. Comics are not books, but still they could linger a bit more. My opinion.

I do like the characters. And the story is intriguing. I see which character could be Snoke. Not sure LF will go this way, but it could fit and make for an interesting story. Rey being a scavenger and Aphra being an archeologist could provide nice parallels. The two sides of the story could be what Snoke served to Ben and what Luke (and the Jedi) thinks on the other side. Let's see what happens next.

Question: is the droid pairing typical in the SW universe? The 2 really look like the darker versions of if C-3PO and R2-D2. And then you have the dark version of Chewie.
SanghaRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 pm

I will put that here because I don't know where else to put it. I am still trying to crochet a twi'lek hat. Got a pattern and I nearly finished one but I don't like it so I will undo it and try again in another color and slightly different. I will probably never wear it so I don't even know why I want to crochet one. I guess if I am jobless one day, I can crochet hats and sell them.

Anyway I am looking for inspiration and stumbled across the "7 things you might not know about twi'lek". I love the Lekku language, it's cute. But what if someone is left-handed, they might actually be left-leked too and then the "hello" and "goobye" are reversed. Should I ask PH? I am also really confused about the female twi'leks'' ears. How can they hear with those. Yeah, I know, does not make much sense to try to understand the anatomy of fictional species  Razz

http://www.starwars.com/news/much-to-learn-you-still-have-7-things-you-might-not-know-about-twileks
SanghaRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:53 am

@panki

What do you think about Doctor Aphra #4? I find it underwhelming. I like the character, but I am a quite frustrated that each book is so short and is brushing over details. The story feels rushed. I could not understand

Spoiler:
how they went from the moon temple to the city in the last page. Apparently her father got the coordinates through the device he was using - that got them discovered by the Imperials - when the different buildings (or are these all temples?) lit up. But how did the different buildings lit up? Why? And what was he measuring?

I am frustrated that they don't explain things more. Maybe there are answers in other books, but I don't want to buy other books. I want to have a story that can stand on its own in this series. I am a bit disappointed. As I said, I like the character and will buy the next isssues, but they could have done much better.
SanghaRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum