King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 24 Apr - 20:23

King Prana has been mentioned in so many threads lately that I thought the Prana Cheerleading Squad needs its own thread Very Happy

Although, I actually started this thread to talk about the Dubrovnik set. Now, there's no saying whether the Dubrovnik planet has anything to do with King Prana: but if King Prana actually is in Episode VIII (hopefully played by Benicio *cough*), then my money is on the Dubrovnik planet being his kingdom. The well-dressed characters there, with some of the men wearing knightly sashes, suggest that this might be the elite of a place with a monarchy. (The Rector's Palace location suggests the same, obviously.)

I wanted to post these earlier, but I couldn't think of a suitable thread for them. @panki suggested that the Dubrovnik planet might be the casino planet Pantora, but the Dubrovnik planet has some small things in common with what we've seen of Onderon in canon (TCW) before. Onderon is also included in the galactic map of the Visual Dictionary.

I put the pictures in spoiler tags, so they don't take up a lot of space.

Spoiler:
Architectural detail from the set (from starwarsdubrovnik.com):



The geometric patterns are in the Onderonian style, if you compare them to this concept art from TCW:



Other architectural details, like the gold-striped columns and the light fixtures:



Are reminiscent of the royal palace on Onderon:






If this planet happens to be Onderon, it's probably a different city from the capital we saw before... which had the unfortunate name of Iziz. I expect this would be a more high-end part of the planet. And things might have changed quite a bit since the Clone Wars...

However, the concept art for "Exotic City" in The Art of The Force Awakens seems to be similar to Dubrovnik in many ways, as this comparison photo from StarWarsNewsNet shows - and more pics in the spoiler tags:

Spoiler:


Here's another comparison photo from starwarsdubrovnik.com:



And "Exotic City", on its part, looks a lot like Iziz. Here's concept art for TCW:



Also from TCW:



And, interestingly, the Dubrovnik set had all kinds of wiring etc. put in place, which gives a certain "old" and rickety look - very similar to Iziz, which also had wires hanging all over the place - despite the surface glamour of the place:




Onderon is interesting for two reasons. Firstly, in the EU, the royal house of Onderon had the surname Kira.

Secondly, in the EU, this royal house was descended from an ancient Dark Lord (called Freedon Nadd), who had once ruled Onderon and whose spirit turned some of his descendants to the Dark Side, and taught them with the intention of making them strong and capable enough to resurrect him in the flesh. The ruling class of Onderon belonged to a Sith cult called the Naddists.

It would be very interesting if King Prana is a darksider king and if those aristocratic-looking characters dressed in black and white are actually cult members...
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 24 Apr - 20:30

Fixed the market square picture which only showed a small thumbnail.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 24 Apr - 20:40

Oh yes, @Force22, those three are actually the only predictions I'm making, too - but I did find it interesting that the EU name for Onderon royalty is Kira, and the Sith cult was also interesting. Especially as I've seen many people speculate - just from the set photos - that those people in black and white look like cult members Very Happy

You're probably right that the planet could be "not-Onderon-but-like-Onderon", though it's interesting that Onderon is mentioned in the map.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by panki on Sun 24 Apr - 20:49

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Oh yes, @Force22, those three are actually the only predictions I'm making, too - but I did find it interesting that the EU name for Onderon royalty is Kira, and the Sith cult was also interesting. Especially as I've seen many people speculate - just from the set photos - that those people in black and white look like cult members Very Happy

You're probably right that the planet could be "not-Onderon-but-like-Onderon", though it's interesting that Onderon is mentioned in the map.
@Darth Dingbat

I like the possibility of the Dubrovnik place being Onderon...it would tie into stories of another important character- Ahsoka Tano.... Smile

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3326
Likes : 12378
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by panki on Sun 24 Apr - 21:26

@Force22 wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Oh yes, @Force22, those three are actually the only predictions I'm making, too - but I did find it interesting that the EU name for Onderon royalty is Kira, and the Sith cult was also interesting. Especially as I've seen many people speculate - just from the set photos - that those people in black and white look like cult members Very Happy

You're probably right that the planet could be "not-Onderon-but-like-Onderon", though it's interesting that Onderon is mentioned in the map.
@Darth Dingbat

I like the possibility of the Dubrovnik place being Onderon...it would tie into stories of another important character- Ahsoka Tano.... Smile
@panki

True. Especially cause TCW is canon. But I don't think people involved in the ST watched TCW. If they did, I think they'd be embarrassed by their flat characterization of the stormtroopers in comparison with the clones. Of course they could not go as deep as the cartoon, because of time, but I think they could have learned a trick or two to help with Finn's character development. Any secondary clone in TCW has more depth than Finn. It's a shame. Completely of topic. Still, I'm not sure how much they know and how much they can tie in with the other material in SW.
@Force22

I hope they do tie in some of it because it would be a big disappointment to people who buy the tie in stuff looking for clues to where things are going to lead (it would be sort of cheating them of that little extra insight they seek).....I could be wrong....but I think they will include a little of it at least or people will stop buying the related books/novels/comics or watching the tv shows (revenue loss)....for instance, I would think twice about getting any more related literature or watching rebels if I felt I was learning nothing from them or characters I like would not feature in the movies. Sad

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3326
Likes : 12378
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 24 Apr - 21:37

I think I'm being swayed to the Lost Princess of Pranaland bandwagon origins for Rey.  I'm not sure how likely it is, but it checks a lot of boxes as far as interesting storytelling goes:

* Dark origins (possibly)
* Probably a dark story as to why she was left on Jakku
* "Lost princess" 
* Parents weren't in TFA but will be a relevant part of the ST storyline

Her being a "lost princess" with a possible surviving relative or two would give a plausible explanation for someone recognizing her at some point and being able to fill her in on her origins. To me, that's one of the bigger obstacles to Rey Random--actually finding out what her origins are if no one knows her parents (outside of Kylo searching the Imperial archives for info).
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4823
Likes : 25320
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by panki on Sun 24 Apr - 21:41

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I think I'm being swayed to the Lost Princess of Pranaland bandwagon origins for Rey.  I'm not sure how likely it is, but it checks a lot of boxes as far as interesting storytelling goes:

* Dark origins (possibly)
* Probably a dark story as to why she was left on Jakku
* "Lost princess" 
* Parents weren't in TFA but will be a relevant part of the ST storyline

Her being a "lost princess" with a possible surviving relative or two would give a plausible explanation for someone recognizing her at some point and being able to fill her in on her origins. To me, that's one of the bigger obstacles to Rey Random--actually finding out what her origins are if no one knows her parents (outside of Kylo searching the Imperial archives for info).
@ISeeAnIsland

I agree with this....the more I look at the clues, it seems like she is a lost royal.....her wearing a "battle dress" as a little girl in the force vision makes me think her people may have been part of a war and she was either being taken to safety and the people taking her got killed....or her people lost the battle and she was sold as a slave to Unkar because her captors couldn't bring themselves to kill her.

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3326
Likes : 12378
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 24 Apr - 22:02

@Force22 wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I think I'm being swayed to the Lost Princess of Pranaland bandwagon origins for Rey.  I'm not sure how likely it is, but it checks a lot of boxes as far as interesting storytelling goes:

* Dark origins (possibly)
* Probably a dark story as to why she was left on Jakku
* "Lost princess" 
* Parents weren't in TFA but will be a relevant part of the ST storyline

Her being a "lost princess" with a possible surviving relative or two would give a plausible explanation for someone recognizing her at some point and being able to fill her in on her origins. To me, that's one of the bigger obstacles to Rey Random--actually finding out what her origins are if no one knows her parents (outside of Kylo searching the Imperial archives for info).
@ISeeAnIsland

Yes, to Rey's possible relation to Prana, if it's the case, JJ's statements make a lot of sense. First he says the person is not in TFA. Then he says they might be in her world, meaning that it's not necessarily someone who hasn't been mentioned.

And Rey could be a lost princess.
@Force22
I think it would also fulfill the "deeply satisfying" comment from Trevorrow.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4823
Likes : 25320
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 24 Apr - 22:41

"Lost Princess of Pranaland" Very Happy Love that.

Don't forget Jett Lucas comparing TFA to Anastasia! Many people read it as implying that Rey is Luke's daughter (er... why?), but what if it means exactly what it says on the tin: lost princess who doesn't remember who she is? Though, again, I have to wonder how much the Lucases know...

@panki: I definitely think Rebels will tie in with TFA, what with the crossguard sabre, so why not TCW in some subtle ways as well... And again, I wonder about the inclusion of Onderon in the galaxy map. It's not the most obvious choice, is it?

Lastly, can't you just see this guy as an evil king? Wink (Recent photo from the Oscars.) Plus, he's 6'2". Dark Side height confirmed!

avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 24 Apr - 22:55

If Rey is perhaps a missing heir to the throne of Pranaland, that does also open up some interesting possibilities for Rey post episode IX.  Would she return to her home planet to take on a role in government there? Assuming that Kylo survives and Reylo is endgame, what does that mean for him? does that possibly give an out for him having to go into exile, etc?
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4823
Likes : 25320
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Maria Antonietta on Sun 24 Apr - 23:05

I tend to think that she will face a shocking revelation, kind of "we abandoned you because we're afraid of your force powers" or "You're just a girl, our heir is our son" (if she has brothers, who knows). Then she will reconsider Ben's offer. I'm 100% she will stumble. It's necessary. She has to, in one way or another
avatar
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2666
Likes : 11844
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 31
Localisation : Italia

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 25 Apr - 2:32

@Darth Dingbat wrote:"Lost Princess of Pranaland" Very Happy Love that.

Don't forget Jett Lucas comparing TFA to Anastasia! Many people read it as implying that Rey is Luke's daughter (er... why?), but what if it means exactly what it says on the tin: lost princess who doesn't remember who she is? Though, again, I have to wonder how much the Lucases know...

@panki: I definitely think Rebels will tie in with TFA, what with the crossguard sabre, so why not TCW in some subtle ways as well... And again, I wonder about the inclusion of Onderon in the galaxy map. It's not the most obvious choice, is it?

Lastly, can't you just see this guy as an evil king? Wink (Recent photo from the Oscars.) Plus, he's 6'2". Dark Side height confirmed!

@Darth Dingbat

That's right. I want BdT vs. Kylo fight scene. It's too good of an awesome opportunity to pass up.

I too am favoring Lost Princess of Pranaland. Another option that someone can up with last night was that a rival heir dumped Rey on Jakku or asked someone to kill her and that person left her on Jakku.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 25 Apr - 2:43

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:"Lost Princess of Pranaland" Very Happy Love that.

Don't forget Jett Lucas comparing TFA to Anastasia! Many people read it as implying that Rey is Luke's daughter (er... why?), but what if it means exactly what it says on the tin: lost princess who doesn't remember who she is? Though, again, I have to wonder how much the Lucases know...

@panki: I definitely think Rebels will tie in with TFA, what with the crossguard sabre, so why not TCW in some subtle ways as well... And again, I wonder about the inclusion of Onderon in the galaxy map. It's not the most obvious choice, is it?

Lastly, can't you just see this guy as an evil king? Wink (Recent photo from the Oscars.) Plus, he's 6'2". Dark Side height confirmed!

@Darth Dingbat

That's right. I want BdT vs. Kylo fight scene. It's too good of an awesome opportunity to pass up.

I too am favoring Lost Princess of Pranaland. Another option that someone can up with last night was that a rival heir dumped Rey on Jakku or asked someone to kill her and that person left her on Jakku.
@SoloSideCousin

The bolded scenario would certainly be very Snow White/huntsman, wouldn't it?
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4823
Likes : 25320
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 28 Apr - 0:38

@Force22 wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:If Rey is perhaps a missing heir to the throne of Pranaland, that does also open up some interesting possibilities for Rey post episode IX.  Would she return to her home planet to take on a role in government there? Assuming that Kylo survives and Reylo is endgame, what does that mean for him? does that possibly give an out for him having to go into exile, etc?
@ISeeAnIsland

I don't think she'd go back. The belonging she seeks is ahead. Maybe her heritage is something she has to reject.
@Force22

That's probably most likely, but I could see it going the other way, too - the "belonging she seeks" isn't with her family, but at the same time Lor San Tekka quickly established one of the themes as "you cannot deny the truth that is your family". Both Padme and Leia had more than their fair share of "noblesse oblige" about them; they shouldered great responsibilities at a very young age. Perhaps one part of Rey's coming-of-age will be to accept responsibility?

Or not. I don't know.

I noticed one thing when I was watching TFA with headphones on, though. When King Prana is mentioned, there's an interesting little melody - kind of solemn - playing on the soundtrack. Then the suspenseful action sequence music takes up again. I like to imagine that melody will be associated with King Prana Razz
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Kessel on Tue 3 May - 19:36

Like many people, when I first saw the movie, I thought the whole rathar scene was unnecessary filler. I came to wonder why JJ kept this scene in when he left out other scenes (i.e. Kylo in the MF).  So, I really like the idea that the scene has more meaning than just Rey and Finn escaping from rathers. I was reading the Visual Dictionary again and this is what it has to say about Prana:

"Prana, a collector of exotic animals, has a longstanding feud with Regent Solculvis of the Mol'leaj system. Both royals have expansive zoos dedicated to rare and dangerous creatures, but spies in Solvicus's court have confirmed to Prana that the regent does not have rathars. Prana sees an irresistible opportunity to outdo his rival."

That's a interesting little backstory...I wonder who that Regent Solculvis is as well. I agree it looks like King Prana (or Solculvis) are good candidates for BDT's possible character.  Him being a potential familial tie to Rey would be interesting! I really think that Dubrovnik setting and space horse are connected to Prana or that Regent Solcuvis...
avatar
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1391
Likes : 10393
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by ZenBrainJam on Tue 3 May - 20:05

Sigh... I don't like the lost princess trope so much, but your posts are very well written. I was on board lost prince Finn theory (I am one of the few that likes him, and don't think that his characterization is poor at all).
Oh well, I will google to find out who this Prana is...
avatar
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 378
Likes : 1296
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 3 May - 21:02

Kessel89 wrote:Like many people, when I first saw the movie, I thought the whole rathar scene was unnecessary filler. I came to wonder why JJ kept this scene in when he left out other scenes (i.e. Kylo in the MF).  So, I really like the idea that the scene has more meaning than just Rey and Finn escaping from rathers. I was reading the Visual Dictionary again and this is what it has to say about Prana:

"Prana, a collector of exotic animals, has a longstanding feud with Regent Solculvis of the Mol'leaj system. Both royals have expansive zoos dedicated to rare and dangerous creatures, but spies in Solvicus's court have confirmed to Prana that the regent does not have rathars. Prana sees an irresistible opportunity to outdo his rival."

That's a interesting little backstory...I wonder who that Regent Solculvis is as well. I agree it looks like King Prana (or Solculvis) are good candidates for BDT's possible character.  Him being a potential familial tie to Rey would be interesting! I really think that Dubrovnik setting and space horse are connected to Prana or that Regent Solcuvis...
@Kessel89

Yes, it's very interesting. Also interesting that Solculvis' system is mentioned, but Prana's system/planet isn't. I wonder if it's one we'd recognise? Like Onderon? *cough*

As for Solculvis, who knows, though I'm inclined to believe Prana is more important because of his significant name.

Solculvis' name, on the other hand... sol (sun?) + cul (arse) + vis (face). King Sunny Buttface, I presume Very Happy
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by panki on Thu 30 Jun - 20:13

I found another candidate who could be King Prana (or his relative).... there is a sultan of the Boz Pity system mentioned in the new Star Wars canon comics who has offered a Moon as reward for Han's head (it is implied he rescued and pursued the sultan's daughter as part of a con)


_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3326
Likes : 12378
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 30 Jun - 20:27

I don't like the 'lost royal heir' trope either... would very much prefer Rey to be awesome because of who she is, no heritage included.

But before I'd begin to even think of speculating about this, I'd very much like to know if Prana is a good guy or bad guy. So far I kinda doubt he's a good guy because of his interest in some of the worst deadliest creatures the galaxy has to offer. Shocked
avatar
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1055
Likes : 5980
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 21
Localisation : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Sylvia Snow on Thu 30 Jun - 20:55

I have no complaints if Rey indeed related to King Prana in some way, I'm just a little worry of how things will play out if she too, is Obi wan's granddaughter. We will need to have a good explanation for that. Somethings that makes sense, like Kenobi's secret son/daughter married into the royal family whose later being killed by Prana. Also do we know how long have King Prana staying in reign? Because in my opinion, I am assuming that King Prana is this tyrant who see himself as a godly image hence the name. And that he may use the FO or Snoke's help to take the throne, or Snoke was the one who put Prana on the throne in order to spread dominant over galaxy. So that Snoke is indirectly cause the death of Rey's parents and her being left on Jakku.

I don't know, I thinks it's a neat way to show that Old Snoke is the common enemy here, who not only manipulated Kylo to be under his command but also response for Rey's harsh life
avatar
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1384
Likes : 5685
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: King Prana, the Dubrovnik planet, and other related matters

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 30 Jul - 15:01

Thought I'd post this here as well. The architectural details mentioned in my first post reminded me of Onderon, but the other day I noticed that the famous space horse from Dubrovnik is also quite reminiscent of the tee-muss, a "horse-like" species native to Onderon in TCW.

Comparison photos behind the spoiler tag as they're quite big!

Spoiler:







And to remind us of the space horse:






Obviously it doesn't look exactly the same, but intriguingly similar nonetheless. Forest Whitaker doesn't really look like the animated Saw Gerrera, either Wink
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4423
Likes : 29254
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum