What do you think will be the "No, I am your father!" ("NOOOOOO!") Moment?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What do you think will be the "No, I am your father!" ("NOOOOOO!") Moment?

Post by Kessel on Tue 26 Apr - 1:35

@Mana wrote:If there's going to be a big reveal..its going to be between Rey and Kylo..
@Mana

Yes, this. I don't know exactly what it will be or how it will go down, but there will be some reveal/twist involving these two, and it will mess with Rey's perception of Kylo. We can all feel it, we just don't know the true nature of it yet.
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by thejediskywalker on Tue 26 Apr - 17:51

I think it'll be one of three things:

Some connection between Rey and Kylo
Darkside parentage for Rey (especially if they are going for film parallels)
The ol' bait and switch where Rey is revealed as the villain

But I guess it depends on who they are trying to shock more, the characters or the audience. The audience would have a collective meltdown over an I LOVE YOU bomb and ngl, I kinda want to see it just for the uproar afterwards.
thejediskywalker
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Wed 27 Apr - 10:27

I feel like I need to apologize before saying this because it's a favorite of many, it seems. The "I love you" moment as a twist would be terrible for me. If there is such a moment in the next 2 movies, I'd hope that it is viewed as a natural outcome of story/character development, and that people will actually have a big smile on their faces or teary eyes - except for the ultimate Kylo-haters out there who will anyway not buy it. That one of the 2 characters is shocked, yes, but not the audience. Btw would be actually fun if it was Rey saying it and Kylo be surprised. To me the audience has to be on board for such a moment and rooting for it.

Whatever twist they came up with, I agree that it would impact the relationship between Rey and Kylo. And the best bet indeed is that it shifts Rey's perception of Kylo and we, the audience, will then shift our perception with her.

I do wonder though if we will get a real twist. Ben Solo was thrown in as a non-twist. Is a big shocker necessary? I know most people expect it, but was there any twist in the PT? Cannot recall. Nowadays it's more and more difficult to really surprise the audience and when you build-up to a big twist and it falls flat, it's worse imo as if there was no super twist and the story just flows with some surprises but not overdone.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Wed 27 Apr - 10:42

Well. Nothing of the prequels was surprising to me because we already knew the endgame. And I was 13 -19 when they came out so... Not hard movies to piece together. But the "twist" to AotC to me was supposed to be Padme returning Anakin's love. So while I'd like for Kylo to say it first, I think they'd make Kylo's love obvious while having Rey's I love you be the twist. Just me though.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 27 Apr - 10:48

There really was no twist in the prequels that I recall. As far as Padme returning Anakin's love, that wouldn't be all that surprising either as we all know Luke and Leia had to come from somewhere...

@SanghaRen I do understand what you are saying about the I Love You bomb. It's all going to depend on how it's done. I was basing this on matching this moment with the OT Vader/Luke moment where the relationship between the protagonist and the antagonist is revealed. I'm not sure if VIII will carry on the rhyme with the OT the way VII did, and I kind of hope that it doesn't.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 27 Apr - 11:35

I definitely think the bomb will be a lot of the old school purists suddenly realizing what's been set up between the two of them and freaking out about it. And that: 1) There's more to his story than just being a straight up bad guy and 2) That the attraction is not just one sided on his part. More than that would be that it's more like our world, where you don't always have just good guys and bad guys (Syria's a pretty tragic example) in a Civil War.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Wed 27 Apr - 12:35

Yes, the old school purists might fall hard Smile But for a (hopefully) larger part of the audience who has not a black/white view, I could see some surprises but maybe no big "Noooo!" moment.

I also kind of hope VIII does not follow the ESB structure. Darker, yes. Two plots that are maybe converging at the end, why not. Big shocker, not so. Big cliffhanger at the end of VIII with one character potentially dead, I hope not.

I think my problem is that so many TV shows play on big twists and cliffhangers at the end of each season that it does not feel fresh anymore. Sometimes you end up looking more for clues to the next twist than enjoying the story - if there is one Smile I do understand that there should be some stake at the end of VIII but I shall hope it's not one that leads again to mysteries and heavy debates.

I wonder if a big surprise will not be linked to Snoke.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 27 Apr - 12:57

@SanghaRen wrote:Yes, the old school purists might fall hard Smile But for a (hopefully) larger part of the audience who has not a black/white view, I could see some surprises but maybe no big "Noooo!" moment.

I also kind of hope VIII does not follow the ESB structure. Darker, yes. Two plots that are maybe converging at the end, why not. Big shocker, not so. Big cliffhanger at the end of VIII with one character potentially dead, I hope not.

I think my problem is that so many TV shows play on big twists and cliffhangers at the end of each season that it does not feel fresh anymore. Sometimes you end up looking more for clues to the next twist than enjoying the story - if there is one Smile I do understand that there should be some stake at the end of VIII but I shall hope it's not one that leads again to mysteries and heavy debates.

@SanghaRen

It's the Law & Order effect, where everything you've been set up to expect is turned upside in the last act by a big shocking twist. Happens in every single episode Not because they want you to pay attention or write something in a really interesting way, but that it's become a trope in and of itself. ESB is one of those movies that set up this element as a trope because it was shocking at the time. I can't think of any other movies from that era other than John Huston's Chinatown, where you had a shocking reveal in the last act which shatters your expectations as a viewer and points to the real story. It was a shocking element for that era, but now it's become a standard element. So I'm sure a lot of old school/purist fans will be expecting something like that, especially if it plays into their "Rey is Luke's daughter and 100% a good girl" mindset, only to have that blown out of the water. Which is where the standalone/more traditional movies come in, to at least satisfy them a little bit b/c they're going to feel so betrayed by the new trilogy. It's a pretty risky (and far more interesting) gambit IMO.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings on Wed 27 Apr - 13:32

@SanghaRen wrote:Yes, the old school purists might fall hard Smile But for a (hopefully) larger part of the audience who has not a black/white view, I could see some surprises but maybe no big "Noooo!" moment.

@SanghaRen

As long as Rey is not his great granddaughter Laughing
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 27 Apr - 15:02

What if rey meets her mother and she kills her?!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Wed 27 Apr - 15:11

@Maria Antonietta wrote:What if rey meets her mother and she kills her?!
@Maria Antonietta

This would be a real twist. If they are planning to do something like this, for whatever reason, then I'm sure Kylo will be the one, she will turn to, maybe the only one who can understand her and who is able to help her.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Wed 27 Apr - 15:18

I actually wondered a few times if she hasn't already killed her parents by accident and does not remember it. That would be dark. But then it would have made sense that she remembers it after seeing Kylo kill his father.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings on Thu 28 Apr - 2:38

Leia: I am holding this meeting to let you all know that......we have run out of coffee.
The Resistance: NOOOOOO!!! **chaos ensues**
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 28 Apr - 4:53

@Search Your Feelings wrote:
Leia: I am holding this meeting to let you all know that......we have run out of coffee.
The Resistance: NOOOOOO!!! **chaos ensues**
@Search Your Feelings

lol!
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Thu 28 Apr - 11:26

@Kylo Ren wrote:If they'd reveal Ben Solo has a younger sibling....not Rey....

That would at least be a shock for Kylo and he'd go:"Noooooo!"
@Kylo Ren

What about Finn? Maybe Leia and Lando had an one-night-stand while Han was away lol!
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum