Young Han Solo Film

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Young Han Solo Film

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 22:29

The way the story went, Kasden was pitched EP7 by Lucas & KK before the sale to Disney, he passed and pitched a Han Solo film instead. I am pretty sure the whole thing was a quid pro qou. Kasden only came back to EP7 after JJ came on and asked again. Han Solo is a Kasden vanity project and the "fandom" was not screaming for it, and many fans in many quarters are still like, did we ask for this? Cool

I am still going to stick with my guts, I bet Kasden's script is good, and I bet L & M where not that bad or why else wait this late in the game to pull them? It is Alden's performance that is probably not the best ( putting it mildly) and the dailies were more than likely horrible. L & M probably thought Alden's "interpretation" of Han off, so they told him to improvise, because they where looking for his sweet spot and never found it. Razz
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 22:22

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio decided to hire an acting coach for Ehrenreich far into the film’s production because they were “not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from him”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

My guts where correct, Alden sucks, they need to fire him and bring on another actor!

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 22:54

Sounds like things were a hot mess.

"And, not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don't Applystar Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. (Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.) Lord and Miller suggested writer-director Maggie Kiley, who worked with them on 21 Jump Street.

When Kennedy felt that these measures did not get the production on track, she asked Kasdan to come to London. Kasdan is said also to have been unhappy with the limited shots and displeased that Lord and Miller were calling out lines for the actors to try from behind the monitor rather than sticking with the script that he had written in collaboration with his son. (Lord and Miller had input on the script before shooting began.) “As a writer, producer and part of Star Wars world, you get on a plane when that happens,” says a person with knowledge of the situation.

But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause."
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 23:44

I wonder why Ehrenreich was chosen to begin with...I never really thought he looked like Han or gave off a Han vibe, but the casting director(s) along with KK and the rest of LF's head management must have seen something in him.
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 26 Jun 2017 - 23:54

@Kessel wrote:I wonder why Ehrenreich was chosen to begin with...I never really thought he looked like Han or gave off a Han vibe, but the casting director(s) along with KK and the rest of LF's head management must have seen something in him.
@Kessel

Same. I try to keep an open mind about these things and I don't want to base my opinions on the superficial, but he looks absolutely nothing like Harrison Ford. That being said, I wondered if there may be something else about him as to why he was chosen - something that really stands out. Hubby and I watched Beautiful Creatures last night where he plays the male lead. The movie itself is rather cheesy (too much going on and a bit convoluted to be gripping), but he's pretty decent nonetheless. Nothing earth shaking though, or memorable. He's no Adam Driver. I wouldn't say though that he was terrible, but I'm still scratching my head on why he was chosen to play Han in the first place.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:08

looks are kinda secondary in my humble opinion, but it doesn't matter, i really hope he isn't going to be replaced as well?

it's funny because they are running on a schedule, i mean, hey are disney they have money to do whatever the hell they like, why no give the whole thing more space?

anyway, here's the guardian's take on it: https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jun/26/star-wars-han-solo-movie-lucasfilm-ron-howard?

they think it might still be ok Sapristi
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:22

@Kessel wrote:I wonder why Ehrenreich was chosen to begin with...I never really thought he looked like Han or gave off a Han vibe, but the casting director(s) along with KK and the rest of LF's head management must have seen something in him.
@Kessel

I think he sort of looks like a caricature of Han - has a few of the same physical traits but in an exaggerated way if that makes any sense. Otherwise does not actually look much like him.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:23

I love that new avatar @whatgirl!!!!! Very Happy

SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:24

@SoloSideCousin wrote:I love that new avatar @whatgirl!!!!! Very Happy

@SoloSideCousin

Thanks very much! Smile

Here's the source with the full-sized pic: http://littleststarfighter.tumblr.com/post/156760795677/young-jedi-killer It's one of my favorites.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:28

Hmmm, wonder if it is a director/actor mismatch or issues with Alden himself?
I remember Nicholas Hoult being suggested to play Han Solo and I think he would have been great, as well as the actor from Age of Adaline (who is Harrison's clone).
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:31

@WhatGirl wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:I love that new avatar @whatgirl!!!!! Very Happy

@SoloSideCousin

Thanks very much! Smile

Here's the source with the full-sized pic: http://littleststarfighter.tumblr.com/post/156760795677/young-jedi-killer It's one of my favorites.
@WhatGirl

Beautiful!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Marchtwin on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 0:48

He literally impersonated Han Solo 9 years ago.
A real shame.
Bet it would have been a dream come true for him
Marchtwin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:05

@Marchtwin wrote:

A real shame.
@Marchtwin

Yes, Anthony Ingruber. He actually looks a lot like Harrison. In fact, didn't he play the young version of Harrison Ford's character in the Age of Adaline movie? I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how well he did in it, but I assume LF would have heard about him and considered him... but I guess they liked Alden better for Han, for some reason. Question
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:07

@IoJovi wrote:
@Kessel

Same. I try to keep an open mind about these things and I don't want to base my opinions on the superficial, but he looks absolutely nothing like Harrison Ford. That being said, I wondered if there may be something else about him as to why he was chosen - something that really stands out. Hubby and I watched Beautiful Creatures last night where he plays the male lead. The movie itself is rather cheesy (too much going on and a bit convoluted to be gripping), but he's pretty decent nonetheless. Nothing earth shaking though, or memorable. He's no Adam Driver. I wouldn't say though that he was terrible, but I'm still scratching my head on why he was chosen to play Han in the first place.
@IoJovi

Overall, I didn't care for the movie, but I liked AE's performance in Hail, Caesar! I think it's pretty likely that the charm he displayed in that role helped him land HS.

Remember, there were several higher-profile actors on the shortlist to be cast as Han when the auditions were going on. Maybe he nailed the audition, but was led off-track by Lord & Miller's style of direction? It wouldn't be the first time (or the first time in a Star Wars movie) where an actor gave a good performance in other movies but couldn't connect with a particular director's style.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:10

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Kessel

@IoJovi

Overall, I didn't care for the movie, but I liked AE's performance in Hail, Caesar! I think it's pretty likely that the charm he displayed in that role helped him land HS.

Remember, there were several higher-profile actors on the shortlist to be cast as Han when the auditions were going on. Maybe he nailed the audition, but was led off-track by Lord & Miller's style of direction? It wouldn't be the first time (or the first time in a Star Wars movie) where an actor gave a good performance in other movies but couldn't connect with a particular director's style.
@ISeeAnIsland

Yeah I really do not want to make any pre-judgements on his work prior to seeing the movie. I too HATED Hail, Caesar! (like so wanting the movie to just end, about half way through I was so bored), but I had no complaints whatsoever about Ehrenreich's performance. If anything, I'm very curious about what it is he has to bring to the table.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Marchtwin on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:10

@Kessel wrote:
@Marchtwin wrote:

A real shame.
@Marchtwin

Yes, Anthony Ingruber. He actually looks a lot like Harrison. In fact, didn't he play the young version of Harrison Ford's character in the Age of Adaline movie? I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how well he did in it, but I assume LF would have heard about him and considered him... but I guess they liked Alden better for Han, for some reason. Question
@Kessel

Yeah, that's all I really know about him too, but the resemblance is uncanny. Even though it would have been really cool to see him as Han, I hope Alden delivers on whatever potential they saw in him. Maybe there really was something special they didn't find anywhere else.
Marchtwin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:11

The casting for TFA and RO has been so good so hopefully they saw something great in Alden and it was due to the directors.
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:12

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Kessel

@IoJovi

@ISeeAnIsland

I'll be harsh by saying several actors.

On Alden's look - I wouldn't mind it at all if he would be in the character. He doesn't need to be a copy-pasted Harrison to be fine as Han Solo.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:14

@Kessel

cause of Spielberg. he's Spielberg's Shia 2.0.

Anyway, toldja that SWNN report sounded like Alden's PR. Did not crosscheck with early report that acting was weak.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 1:26

@vaderito wrote:
@Kessel

cause of Spielberg. he's Spielberg's Shia 2.0.

Anyway, toldja that SWNN report sounded like Alden's PR. Did not crosscheck with early report that acting was weak.
@vaderito

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 3:38

I don't think I would have picked Shia to be Indy's son by any means, but there would be about 100 things I would complain about in that movie before his acting. I agree he was not the right type, and I know that he has had some meltdowns in public, but I thought he did a reasonable job. Also, he got good reviews for recent indie American Honey that I have not seen, so there might be something to him.

The same may hold true here. Now I don't know anything about Alden Ehrenreich, but I honestly don't remember a Ron Howard movie that I have seen that had bad acting, so I think with his long experience in the field that he will know how to get what is needed for HS.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 8:47

What's more interesting between the Variety and Hollywood Reporter coverage is the vollying over issues like hiring hot young indie directors to bring their buzz to the brand. Variety has definitely leaned harder on that narrative with questioning Trevorrow's qualifications for handling IX. But the THR coverage is interesting because two years ago their sitdown with KK et all was in the wake of the success of JW and toasting him. In terms of acting coaches, the comments section for IO9's has the best take

I’m pretty sure that Harrison Ford found Han Solo’s effortless cool via lots and lots of weed.

My favorite Harrison Ford story of all time came from Greg Proops when he was a guest on the I Was There Too podcast talking about his experience on Episode I. It’s a story about a story, so take it with a Morning Spoilers grain of salt, but when Proops was at Pinewood recording, his driver claimed to have also driven Ford during the Original Trilogy. One day, Ford hurried out of his hotel, carrying a lidded skillet. Once he was in the car, he cracked open the lid and inhaled the plume of smoke that had accumulated from cooking his weed on the stove top. When he noticed the driver looking at him, he looked up and simply said, “I ran out of papers.”

I don’t know if this is total bullshit or if it’s even possible. I don’t care. I love this story.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 13:51

has nothing to do with weed. It has everything to do with how that generation was raised.

I watched The Year of Living Dangerously a few weeks ago, and you see Mel Gibson with that same Alpha Male vibe. Top it off with a sense of humor and you get Harrison Ford.

Adam Driver could probably do it, depending on his capacity with humor. But he's tied up at the moment. Channing Tatum has it. But they probably were after someone not as famous.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 13:53

FTR: Alden was pretty great in Hail Caesar! So it surprises me that he's having trouble.

And at this point, you really have to wonder about re-casting and starting from scratch. Expensive, of course. But less so than wounding the brand with a turkey.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 14:59

I also thought that Alden was fantastic in Hail Caesar!, but I admit that the lack of height in comparison with Ford bugs me somewhat. As for acting... could be a mismatch between actor and director, something just not clicking?
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum