Young Han Solo Film

Page 25 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

Re: Young Han Solo Film

Post by Kessel on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 6:18 pm

@snufkin - I also wasn’t too keen on Qi’ra’s character as Han’s past LI from his past either, although I’m interested in Han’s past. Hopefully, Kasden has something interesting set up and it doesn’t come off as plot contrivances.

I love the fact Lando has a female droid sidekick. That should be very entertaining. I’m looking very forward to Donald Glover’s Lando; he looks great.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 6:28 pm

@Kessel wrote:@snufkin - I also wasn’t too keen on Qi’ra’s character as Han’s past LI from his past either, although I’m interested in Han’s past. Hopefully, Kasden has something interesting set up and it doesn’t come off as plot contrivances.

I love the fact Lando has a female droid sidekick. That should be very entertaining. I’m looking very forward to Donald Glover’s Lando; he looks great.
@Kessel

I'm more worried about what's going to happen Lando's lady droid sidekick. Because she wasn't around on Cloud City (just the dude with the ice cream maker), so that doesn't bode well for her : (.  

Yeah the GoT lady just sounds, well boring. And if she is supposed to be some type of LI, then seriously LF another white brunette English girl for the new movies?
The first movie did show Han as being a "one in every port" type in the earliest versions where he's canoodling with a girl who throws a drink in his face when he calls her by the wrong name. I'd sort of prefer to have that version of Han, which is consistent with Han shot first, because it makes what happened with Leia more life altering for him.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 7:23 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@Kessel wrote:@snufkin - I also wasn’t too keen on Qi’ra’s character as Han’s past LI from his past either, although I’m interested in Han’s past. Hopefully, Kasden has something interesting set up and it doesn’t come off as plot contrivances.

@Kessel

I'm more worried about what's going to happen Lando's lady droid sidekick. Because she wasn't around on Cloud City (just the dude with the ice cream maker), so that doesn't bode well for her : (.  

Yeah the GoT lady just sounds, well boring. And if she is supposed to be some type of LI, then seriously LF another white brunette English girl for the new movies?
The first movie did show Han as being a "one in every port" type in the earliest versions where he's  canoodling with a girl who throws a drink in his face when he calls her by the wrong name. I'd sort of prefer to have that version of Han, which is consistent with Han shot first, because it makes what happened with Leia more life altering for him.
@snufkin

Yes, and the bolded was how I expected Han to be portrayed in the Solo movie too! I guess they want to give an “origin” to that persona. I hope it’s done well. *fingers crossed.*

I was also surprised the main female character ended up being another brunette English woman. It’s such a big galaxy after all....

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:16 pm

@Kessel wrote:
@snufkin wrote:

@Kessel

The first movie did show Han as being a "one in every port" type in the earliest versions where he's  canoodling with a girl who throws a drink in his face when he calls her by the wrong name. I'd sort of prefer to have that version of Han, which is consistent with Han shot first, because it makes what happened with Leia more life altering for him.
@snufkin

Yes, and the bolded was how I expected Han to be portrayed in the Solo movie too! I guess they want to give an “origin” to that persona. I hope it’s done well. *fingers crossed.*

I was also surprised the main female character ended up being another brunette English woman. It’s such a big galaxy after all....
@Kessel

dangit, I got the wrong guy, it's not Ice Cream Guy (who appears to be fleeing Cloud City after the Empire takes over with only his ice cream maker)

but Lobot, Lando's 2nd in command. Guess he meets Lobot on Cloud City after the events of Solo.

You know what's even more ridiculous? The girl Han was sweet talking in one of the earlier cuts of the first movie? Also a brunette English woman. Guess he was mixing it up with Leia, being from Alderaan and all.

'Star Wars' Rough-Cut Footage Shows Han's Honey and Other Differing Details from the Cantina Scene

Surprise: Han Solo didn’t only have eyes for Princess Leia. Over the weekend, the internet re-discovered a black-and-white rough cut of the Star Wars cantina scene, a rare gem that was first officially released on the Star Wars: Behind the Magic CD-ROM in 1998 (and can now be found on the recent Complete Saga Blu-ray collection). The most jarring difference between this early edit and the final film version is that Han Solo was given a girlfriend. Though she doesn’t get any lines, Han is seen kissing the dark-haired woman in a cantina booth — when Obi-Wan and Luke Skywalker approach him, Solo gives her the boot.

Who is this mystery lady, whom Han Solo refers to only as “sweetheart?” According to the Wookieepedia, this character is known to fans as “Jenny,” after the actress who played her, Jenny Cresswell. Like Luke Skywalker, her character was a human inhabitant of Tatooine. (If Luke is any indication, nobody really wanted to stay on Tatooine – so perhaps she was cozying up to Han Solo in hopes of hitching a ride to another system.) Jenny doesn’t appear in any other scenes, and is never mentioned again – or even given an official name.

Obviously, Jenny wasn’t pivotal to the plot of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. But perhaps that’s not the only reason that director George Lucas cut her out of the final picture. Lucas was extremely concerned with making sure that Han Solo didn’t seem like a bad guy, despite his questionable values and criminal past. Maybe sight of Han making out with an anonymous woman in a bar, while an alien is mutilated by Obi-Wan just a few feet away, was too distasteful a first impression. Jenny is still visible, however, in some widescreen versions of the cantina scene, chatting with an alien in the background.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:23 pm

I, for one, am pretty excited by everything in Solo, including Qi'ra. I really liked Emilia Clarke's interview and am excited by what the Kasdans have in store for us.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 8:33 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:I, for one, am pretty excited by everything in Solo, including Qi'ra. I really liked Emilia Clarke's interview and am excited by what the Kasdans have in store for us.
@SoloSideCousin

Same here. Emilia Clarke is one of my faves on GoT and I’m looking forward to seeing what she brings to this film. This movie looks fun, adventurous and full of heart and I loved what I saw in the previews. I’m stoked!
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 1:45 am

@snufkin wrote:Back on topic? Honestly I could care less about Han's childhood lady friend and whatever plot contrivance they come up with for her. Kind of the same way I just really couldn't work up the energy to care about Kier in the Leia YA novel. Even if Claudia Grey said he was supposed to resemble Rami Malek. The thing which does give me pause is that we are talking about Ron Howard, the guy who decided to give the Grinch a backstory about how he's secretly hurting (well that and casting Jim Carrey). So, yeah Han's lady friend is likely not going to be very interesting and she's there to fulfill a plot point. It is too bad they cast a white brunette because you get SkyMom theories *and* the potential "maybe he just had a type and that's why he liked Leia" comments.

Otherwise, I'm interested in Kasdan's writing and the characters/pair I'm interested in are Lando and his lady robot friend. Now they sound very cool, like Cassian and K2SO.
@snufkin

I agree- I mean I wouldn't mind seeing Han flirting with other girls or having casual "friends with benefits" relationships. But I'm afraid they make him care deeply for this Qi'Ra character... and that would cheapen what he had with Leia in my opinion. No

I hope they'll make her different than Leia...even if she resembles her on the outside.

Well I can't take those SkyMom theories seriously anymore. I mean Qi'Ra being Rey's mother or related to her is so ridiculous...

I like Emilia Clarke in GoT- but every other movie I have seen her in she wasn't convincing...maybe that wasn't her fault I mean Terminator Genesis was horrible anyways Laughing
Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:56 am

@Night Huntress wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Back on topic? Honestly I could care less about Han's childhood lady friend and whatever plot contrivance they come up with for her. Kind of the same way I just really couldn't work up the energy to care about Kier in the Leia YA novel. Even if Claudia Grey said he was supposed to resemble Rami Malek. The thing which does give me pause is that we are talking about Ron Howard, the guy who decided to give the Grinch a backstory about how he's secretly hurting (well that and casting Jim Carrey). So, yeah Han's lady friend is likely not going to be very interesting and she's there to fulfill a plot point. It is too bad they cast a white brunette because you get SkyMom theories *and* the potential "maybe he just had a type and that's why he liked Leia" comments.

Otherwise, I'm interested in Kasdan's writing and the characters/pair I'm interested in are Lando and his lady robot friend. Now they sound very cool, like Cassian and K2SO.
@snufkin

I agree- I mean I wouldn't mind seeing Han flirting with other girls or having casual "friends with benefits" relationships. But I'm afraid they make him care deeply for this Qi'Ra character... and that would cheapen what he had with Leia in my opinion. No

I hope they'll make her different than Leia...even if she resembles her on the outside.

Well I can't take those SkyMom theories seriously anymore. I mean Qi'Ra being Rey's mother or related to her is so ridiculous...

I like Emilia Clarke in GoT- but every other movie I have seen her in she wasn't convincing...maybe that wasn't her fault I mean Terminator Genesis was horrible anyways Laughing
@night Huntress

"Princess Leia: Your friend is quite a mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything... or anybody. "
Maybe Han had an important person, who knows.
I expect to see a different behavior compared to the Han Solo that we all know. In the trailer we see actor Woody Harrelson calling Han "kid" was beautiful and nostalgic.

Teo oswald
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 4:50 am

For some reason Emilia's face annoys me in everything, that isn't GOT. That said I loved the character designs and costumes - it's all kind of exciting and I really want to draw it. I also am obsessed with the name Qi'Ra and named a girl in sims like that! Maybe because Kira just reminds me of Light Yagami. Anyway wasn't the name's meaning killer or something? Maybe there is some kind foreshadowing they put in.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 6:50 am

@Night Huntress wrote:

@snufkin

I agree- I mean I wouldn't mind seeing Han flirting with other girls or having casual "friends with benefits" relationships. But I'm afraid they make him care deeply for this Qi'Ra character... and that would cheapen what he had with Leia in my opinion.  No

@Night Huntress
I have kind of a different perspective on this, and I say that as someone who was as reluctant to see Han's old girlfriend as anyone else a week ago. I honestly think it's a waste to just give Han a flirtatious relationship with a coworker in his origin film. It's a story, and a "prequel" story at that. If they're going to include a femme fatale love-interest Han's relationship with her should explain something about his characterization when we meet him in A New Hope, possibly his "lone wolf" persona and reluctance to put his trust in anyone besides Chewie. That would add more depth to Han's relationship with Leia in my opinion, not cheapen it. 

That's not to say Qi'Ra should be Han's only real love that he has been trying to replace or "the one that got away", just that people often impact other people and a woman/childhood friend Han has always cared for deeply leaving Han broken in some way after potentially using him for her own motives or even betraying him would change him. 

I guess I see it like any prequel. Its goal is not just entertainment, but to give us more information about Han as an individual. What made him the way he is in A New Hope? You should be able to watch this film and then go back and watch A New Hope with some kind of new clarity about Han's characterization. That's how Kasdan would have approached this, and making Han someone who was hurt by love is more interesting story-wise than meeting a Han who just had casual relationships until he met Leia.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 6:57 am

I don't care about Han's lady friend either, and tbh most of it has to do with the fact that I don't think Clarke has the acting range to portray a femme fatale (I don't think she has any range tbh), as shown by that one sentence she had to say in the trailer that was so poorly delivered. I was actually surprised when I read the EW feature and found out she was supposed to be a femme fatale because that was NOT what I got from the character. Talk about a miscast.

And the use of the phrase "strong women" as a replacement for an actual personality is getting old and annoying. As is "strong women for little girls to look up to / role model for little girls", for the reasons you all mentioned above. I don't see these dudebro writers and fans worried about role models for little boys hmmmm.

I'll be watching for Lando and Kasdan's writing (the latter because of potential Han/Ben parallels, and the former because I think he exudes Lando's charm and I've always been partial to Childish Gambino).
rawpowah
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 7:02 am

@rawpowah
My guess is she's not going to be the knowingly seductive femme fatale, but the femme fatale who has an ulterior motive and genuinely cares about the people who get involved, but still places that goal first at the end of the day. You can have a femme fatale that is not even intentionally manipulative, but rather like a storm that sucks up everything in her path whether that is her intention or not. The doe eyes and kind speech give me that impression. If not... I can see what you mean about Clarke being very miscast. 

The success of this character is going to rely on Kasdan's willingness to throw her under the bus, basically. I suppose we'll see.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 7:11 am

@FrolickingFizzgig

Well, I don't know- maybe It will be better than expected. But I have to admit I don't care about his past love live. For example, I don't care about the exes of my partners either. Nope

Back to topic: I do think she will break his heart... but I don't know if I'm comfortable seeing him loosing his heart in the first place. Suspect

As to parallels between Han and Ben... I don't think they'll be any. I mean Ben is completely different- so we will learn eventually why Han had difficulties dealing with parenthood and his son- but otherwise? I don't know.
Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm

Ron Howard: A Star Wars Story

Then, just as shooting resumed, Howard got a visit from another familiar face: The guy who first told him about this galaxy, a long time ago.

“He came by to visit the first day that I picked up shooting. George and his wife, Melody, came by to pay a little set visit. It made me feel great,” Howard says.

“He had intended to just kind of stop by and say hi, and he stayed five hours,” Kennedy says. “There’s even one little moment in a scene that — I can’t tell you what, sorry — but in the scene on the Millennium Falcon where George said, ‘Why doesn’t Han just do this.’”
In other words, George Lucas helped direct a small part of Solo.

Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:23 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig

Well, I don't know- maybe It will be better than expected. But I have to admit I don't care about his past love live. For example, I don't care about the exes of my partners either. Nope

Back to topic: I do think she will break his heart... but I don't know if I'm comfortable seeing him loosing his heart in the first place. Suspect

As to parallels between Han and Ben... I don't think they'll be any. I mean Ben is completely different- so we will learn eventually why Han had difficulties dealing with parenthood and his son- but otherwise? I don't know.
@Night Huntress

I actually think that there will be a ton of parallels between Ben and Han in the movie. They are tying all these new movies together.  And there was a lot of concentration on those dice in TLJ, (when they never got much attention before), and Snoke calling him "young Solo" and saying that Ben "has his father's heart", for it not to be going somewhere.  The Kasdans had the Solo story in their head when making TFA. The Kasdans wrote the catwalk scene. It's all going to come together.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:52 pm

@SoloSideCousin

so, you think Han and Ben are alike? Because I don't see that at all Nope

Yes, they both have a good heart they're trying to hide and protect - but beside that? WTH
Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 1:06 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:@SoloSideCousin

Yes, they both have a good heart they're trying to hide and protect - but beside that? WTH
@Night Huntress

These are statements about Han, but I think they sound like Kylo/Ben as well. Yeah, I’d say they’re drawing parallels between father and son.
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@snufkin

both yearned for connection with people and struggled with it at the same time

finds himself in over his head, charging into situations without considering all the angles

These say Kylo to me for sure.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 1:25 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@Night Huntress

These are statements about Han, but I think they sound like Kylo/Ben as well. Yeah, I’d say they’re drawing parallels between father and son.
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@snufkin

both yearned for connection with people and struggled with it at the same time

finds himself in over his head, charging into situations without considering all the angles

These say Kylo to me for sure.
@Cowgirlsamurai

I agree. They also both try to appear more bada** and mean than they really are. And both fall crazy hard when they meet the right woman.

I also think that they will experience similar things. Both will have people they love betray them. Both will fall in and be seriously influenced by bad, bad people. And both will commit terrible acts that they will regret forever. I imagine that there will be a pretty pointed reference that Han was abandoned by his parents, and that to some level he will continue that same cycle with his son, no matter how much he may not want to.

In the end, Han and Ben are Larry Kasdan's favorite boys in SW, and in writing with his own son, they are going to find elements or experiences to tie them together IMO.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 1:48 pm

@SoloSideCousin

maybe I'll change my mind after seeing the Solo-movie...but at the moment I think them almost exact opposites. Not in a bad way...but Ben is more the introverted, thoughtful, intellectual type. If he would've grown up under different circumstances and without Snoke or the force I bet he would have turned out some kind of nerdy, shy philosopher. I could be wrong - it's just my personal feeling.  Nope
Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

I think we've had more than enough outright breadcrumbs dropped by Kasdan and Rian Johnson to think that there's meant to be parallels between father and son. It was subtle in TFA but it's outright dropped over your head in TLJ. Ben may be more of a nerd, more academic than Han was, but we've already been told he outright has his father's warm heart in him. Which Kasdan says means he's conflicted by his selfish/antisocial tendencies but he'll always come through for people in the end. Kasdan also always repeats the Kurosawa line about how its the villains who are petrified into who they are versus the heroes are the ones who are still evolving. He said that about Han in TFA and JJ discussed the evolution of a villain, who we know still evolved in TLJ. Hux is a foil, somebody who's petrified into thinking he has to be a certain way and the world has to be a certain way. Versus Ben's arc, especially as he is at dual purposes of growing to care for/fall hard for/betray his master for Snoke and yet still be greedy enough to go for the throne. That's his conflict and there's still another movie to resolve it.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

maybe I'll change my mind after seeing the Solo-movie...but at the moment I think them almost exact opposites. Not in a bad way...but Ben is more the introverted, thoughtful, intellectual type. If he would've grown up under different circumstances and without Snoke or the force I bet he would have turned out some kind of nerdy, shy philosopher. I could be wrong - it's just my personal feeling.  Nope
@Night Huntress

Ben is definitely a completely different type. No question about that.  In our world, Ben would be to getting his PhD at Harvard, while Han would be like a NASCAR driver, lol. But I do think that they share some similar psychological tendencies like the soft heart and insecurity/need for a persona.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 2:46 pm

@rawpowah wrote:I don't care about Han's lady friend either, and tbh most of it has to do with the fact that I don't think Clarke has the acting range to portray a femme fatale (I don't think she has any range tbh), as shown by that one sentence she had to say in the trailer that was so poorly delivered. I was actually surprised when I read the EW feature and found out she was supposed to be a femme fatale because that was NOT what I got from the character. Talk about a miscast.

And the use of the phrase "strong women" as a replacement for an actual personality is getting old and annoying. As is "strong women for little girls to look up to / role model for little girls", for the reasons you all mentioned above. I don't see these dudebro writers and fans worried about role models for little boys hmmmm.

I'll be watching for Lando and Kasdan's writing (the latter because of potential Han/Ben parallels, and the former because I think he exudes Lando's charm and I've always been partial to Childish Gambino).

@rawpowah

The bolded is really what's going to interest me in seeing this, plus if they have Paul Bettany tap into the type of character he played in Gangster No. 1 (though I'm sad we won't be getting "Omar's coming!"). And yeah, GoT lady, the few times I've run across that show on TV, agreed with you on her range. Kasdan had Kathleen Turner deliver that great line, "You aren't too smart, are you? I like that in a man." and you buy it because the character (and the actress) are both so brilliant, that's where her power of seduction lies. Versus this situation, where she's not as canny.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:00 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@Night Huntress

Ben is definitely a completely different type. No question about that.  In our world, Ben would be to getting his PhD at Harvard, while Han would be like a NASCAR driver, lol. But I do think that they share some similar psychological tendencies like the soft heart and insecurity/need for a persona.
@SoloSideCousin

ah, yes he does have his fathers heart - also his priorities... like Han he is more about personal motivations than the greater cause.

I remember at the beginning of ESB how Leia says to Han "you're a natural leader we need you..." and Han replied "...and what about YOU?" He wanted to hear that SHE wanted him to stay for HER...not the Rebellion.
I do see some parallels here to Ben- who always felt abandon by his parents for the resistance, for some adventure his father preferred to staying at home and being a father. And in TLJ even Rey refused him for the resistance (from his POV).

Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:05 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@Night Huntress

@SoloSideCousin

ah, yes he does have his fathers heart - also his priorities... like Han he is more about personal motivations than the greater cause.

I remember at the beginning of ESB how Leia says to Han "you're a natural leader we need you..." and Han replied "...and what about YOU?" He wanted to hear that SHE wanted him to stay for HER...not the Rebellion.
I do see some parallels here to Ben- who always felt abandon by his parents for the resistance, for some adventure his father preferred to staying at home and being a father. And in TLJ even Rey refused him for the resistance (from his POV).

@Night Huntress

Right! Everything is always personal with these Solo boys. Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 5:16 pm

The do have differences but share a few similarities as mentioned above. Not only that, but I feel like Driver studied Ford's mannerisms from the OT closely as their were a few moments in TLJ where I was like "this boy is definitely his father's son." For example, in the first force bond scene, when Kylo commands Rey to bring Luke Skywalker to him, he has a really sheepish look on his face (does the mouth thing) which he tries to brush off smoothly in front of his girl when he realises it doesn't work. That's Han through and through. Little moments like that, his adorable slide (which again, calls back to Han's slide in ROTJ) and curiosity about how the FB worked humanised him as much as the more obvious stuff like taking off his helmet and getting to see his expressions.
Kylo Rey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum