Post by guardienne on Wed 4 May - 15:35

guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: SW Sequel Trilogy Metas

Post by ZenBrainJam on Fri 6 May - 11:37

http://reykenobiandbensolo.tumblr.com/post/143668721527/juliet-rey-balconies
Did we know this already? It find it beautiful: Juliet, Rey & balconies, a meta about the bridge scene and its paralles with Shakespeare.
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Thu 12 May - 0:56

Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 31 May - 2:55

I guess it's okay to do self-promotion? I did two metas until now, but I do intend to do more, eventually. Wink

French dubs and their subtleties...
http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/143113301997/french-dubs-and-their-subtleties

Anidala and Reylo: Mustafar vs the Interrogation scene
http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/145177289657/anidala-and-reylo-mustafar-vs-interrogation-scene
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 31 May - 2:59

@Irina de France wrote:I guess it's okay to do self-promotion? I did two metas until now, but I do intend to do more, eventually. Wink

French dubs and their subtleties...
http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/143113301997/french-dubs-and-their-subtleties

Anidala and Reylo: Mustafar vs the Interrogation scene
http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/145177289657/anidala-and-reylo-mustafar-vs-interrogation-scene
@Irina de France

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a Canadian French dub of the Force Awakens? Or two separate European French dubs? I first heard French Kylo Ren on youtube and adored his voice! I was delighted to learn the French dub was on my blu-ray, but when I listened to it Kylo Ren's voice was completely different! So now I'm trying to find out which dub I heard first.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 31 May - 3:10

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Irina de France

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a Canadian French dub of the Force Awakens? Or two separate European French dubs? I first heard French Kylo Ren on youtube and adored his voice! I was delighted to learn the French dub was on my blu-ray, but when I listened to it Kylo Ren's voice was completely different! So now I'm trying to find out which dub I heard first.
@AppleCrumble122

It's not a stupid question at all! Wink They do usually do separate dubs for France and Canada. I've listened to the Canadian French version for sure, since I've bought the DVD here in Canada, and I have to say it's this version that has Christian Perrault. And I thought his voice was pretty yummy XD It all depends on where you live and where you got the DVD, really Wink If you're in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if you got the French dub from France.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 31 May - 3:23

@Irina de France wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Irina de France

@AppleCrumble122

It's not a stupid question at all! Wink They do usually do separate dubs for France and Canada. I've listened to the Canadian French version for sure, since I've bought the DVD here in Canada, and I have to say it's this version that has Christian Perrault. And I thought his voice was pretty yummy XD It all depends on where you live and where you got the DVD, really Wink If you're in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if you got the French dub from France.
@Irina de France

Hehe thanks! I'm from the UK so I'm certain I got the European French dub. This is the version I first heard - is this Christian Perrault? http://gwendy85.tumblr.com/post/142505950798
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 31 May - 3:38

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@Irina de France

@AppleCrumble122

@Irina de France

Hehe thanks! I'm from the UK so I'm certain I got the European French dub. This is the version I first heard - is this Christian Perrault? http://gwendy85.tumblr.com/post/142505950798
@AppleCrumble122

Yup, that's the French Canadian dub all right. Razz
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 31 May - 3:54

@Irina de France wrote:Yup, that's the French Canadian dub all right. Razz
@Irina de France

Thank you so much! Now I know which version I heard first and prefer, and that I'm not going crazy lol! Wink Definitely French Canadian dub all the way! His voice is so sexy! The European one was way too deep in my opinion.
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Thu 2 Jun - 16:16

Great analysis on camera angles and perspective in the Interrogation scene

http://felixazrael.tumblr.com/post/145291065990/from-a-certain-point-of-view-a-brief-lesson-in

Credit felixazrael
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Thu 7 Jul - 2:42

Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Thu 21 Jul - 4:53

Did a little meta on Rey, Kylo, their origins and did parallels with Greek mythology and tragedies (and as I said in another topic, that's where you see I'm a French lit student, not an English lit one XD)

http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/147567800242/rey-kylo-ren-greek-myths-and-tragedies-or-why
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nonesuch on Sat 23 Jul - 21:35

Because it provides a much better format for long, text-based posts, I have established a Wordpress blog to share my writings on Star Wars. Much of the content over the coming weeks will be familiar from my tumblr blog, but all of the upcoming pieces have been revised and edited to line up with our present knowledge, which has often changed substantially since I first wrote the posts in question. I have regular content lined up for several months, so keep an eye on it!

https://journalofthestarwars.wordpress.com/
nonesuch
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Sat 23 Jul - 22:22

@nonesuch wrote:Because it provides a much better format for long, text-based posts, I have established a Wordpress blog to share my writings on Star Wars. Much of the content over the coming weeks will be familiar from my tumblr blog, but all of the upcoming pieces have been revised and edited to line up with our present knowledge, which has often changed substantially since I first wrote the posts in question. I have regular content lined up for several months, so keep an eye on it!

@nonesuch

Aaaaand bookmarked!
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by nonesuch on Sat 23 Jul - 22:48

@Slade wrote:
@nonesuch wrote:Because it provides a much better format for long, text-based posts, I have established a Wordpress blog to share my writings on Star Wars. Much of the content over the coming weeks will be familiar from my tumblr blog, but all of the upcoming pieces have been revised and edited to line up with our present knowledge, which has often changed substantially since I first wrote the posts in question. I have regular content lined up for several months, so keep an eye on it!

@nonesuch

Aaaaand bookmarked!
@Slade

Thank you! I really appreciate the support Smile.
nonesuch
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Darth Dementor on Tue 13 Dec - 2:20

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Fri 19 May - 18:36

Since it's in there. I just want to point out that the world doesn't only consist of Reylos and Antis. And although the Antis may reduce the interrogation scene to only a coded **** scene, that doesn't mean that anyone who sees these elements in the scene is an Anti. Nor does it mean perceiving such elements is a condemnation of Reylo by itself. I see these elements *and* I like Reylo. Though I would not reduce the scene to *only* that. It's an underlying subtext (as in Kylo is NOT literally a ******), and there is so much more going on, symbolically and directly. Reducing it to that seems to miss the entire scene and I've noticed that people who do that often also don't believe Kylo has compassion for Rey. I was convinced he does the first time I saw the scene, because I was *watching* it. As soon as Kylo saw Rey's loneliness and inner world, he began to feel for her. I might argue even before that, as I thought that he rendered her unconscious, not only because it makes the capture easier, but because she was terrified and he didn't want to scare her so much (how he behaves after she wakes up further shows this). It was also as though he was claiming her (bridal carry, taking her over the threshold of his ship, into his realm), yet also seemed to see her as something precious that he would trust no one else with.

Anyway the interrogation scene is a rich scene and there is a lot to explore in it.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 19 May - 18:46

@Acritiqua wrote:Since it's in there. I just want to point out that the world doesn't only consist of Reylos and Antis. And although the Antis may reduce the interrogation scene to only a coded **** scene, that doesn't mean that anyone who sees these elements in the scene is an Anti. Nor does it mean perceiving such elements is a condemnation of Reylo by itself. I see these elements *and* I like Reylo. Though I would not reduce the scene to *only* that. It's an underlying subtext (as in Kylo is NOT literally a ******), and there is so much more going on, symbolically and directly. Reducing it to that seems to miss the entire scene and I've noticed that people who do that often also don't believe Kylo has compassion for Rey. I was convinced he does the first time I saw the scene, because I was *watching* it. It's a rich scene and there is a lot to explore in it. As soon as Kylo saw Rey's loneliness and inner world, he began to feel for her.
@Acritiqua

Re: the bolded - I personally feel like it ought to be. I just can't reconcile the idea of anyone seeing that scene as an actual coded rape scene with seeing Reylo as okay, let alone likely to happen.

Seeing it as a rich scene with many levels to explore (both textual and subtextual) is different from seeing it as a "coded rape scene". Not that I judge you if you genuinely see it that way; everybody has a different way of engaging with fiction.

But frankly, if it were a coded rape scene - a coded empowering rape scene, at that - I would lose a lot of respect for JJ.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Fri 19 May - 19:17

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Acritiqua wrote:Since it's in there. I just want to point out that the world doesn't only consist of Reylos and Antis. And although the Antis may reduce the interrogation scene to only a coded **** scene, that doesn't mean that anyone who sees these elements in the scene is an Anti. Nor does it mean perceiving such elements is a condemnation of Reylo by itself. I see these elements *and* I like Reylo. Though I would not reduce the scene to *only* that. It's an underlying subtext (as in Kylo is NOT literally a ******), and there is so much more going on, symbolically and directly. Reducing it to that seems to miss the entire scene and I've noticed that people who do that often also don't believe Kylo has compassion for Rey. I was convinced he does the first time I saw the scene, because I was *watching* it. It's a rich scene and there is a lot to explore in it. As soon as Kylo saw Rey's loneliness and inner world, he began to feel for her.
@Acritiqua

Re: the bolded - I personally feel like it ought to be. I just can't reconcile the idea of anyone seeing that scene as an actual coded rape scene with seeing Reylo as okay, let alone likely to happen.

Seeing it as a rich scene with many levels to explore (both textual and subtextual) is different from seeing it as a "coded rape scene". Not that I judge you if you genuinely see it that way; everybody has a different way of engaging with fiction.

But frankly, if it were a coded rape scene - a coded empowering rape scene, at that - I would lose a lot of respect for JJ.
@Darth Dingbat

I agree. Plus Kylo and Rey have that sort of bonding moment, with that energy between then and yada yada. If that had been a coded you-know-what, that would be very, very sick and disturbing.
AceofWands
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Fri 19 May - 19:18

@Darth Dingbat wrote:

Seeing it as a rich scene with many levels to explore (both textual and subtextual)
is different from seeing it as a "coded rape scene". Not that I judge you if you genuinely see it that way; everybody has a different way of engaging with fiction.
@Darth Dingbat And the above is how I see it. It's like listening to a symphony. There are a lot of overlapping melodies and harmonies. If you pull one of them and examine it in depth that does not mean it is the entire piece of music just because you're focusing on it right now. It may not even sound like the rest of the music--it may be in the harmony, whereas the melody is what really carries/defines the music.

And if someone is examining this one thread it's not reasonable to assume that person is an Anti. It's needlessly polarizing imo.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 19 May - 19:35

@Acritiqua wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

Seeing it as a rich scene with many levels to explore (both textual and subtextual)
is different from seeing it as a "coded rape scene". Not that I judge you if you genuinely see it that way; everybody has a different way of engaging with fiction.
@Darth Dingbat And the above is how I see it. It's like listening to a symphony. There are a lot of overlapping melodies and harmonies. If you pull one of them and examine it in depth that does not mean it is the entire piece of music just because you're focusing on it right now. It may not even sound like the rest of the music--it may be in the harmony, whereas the melody is what really carries/defines the music.

And if someone is examining this one thread it's not reasonable to assume that person is an Anti. It's needlessly polarizing imo.
@Acritiqua

I don't know if we really disagree; I just think we'll never agree on the semantics of this. It's mainly the terminology we disagree upon.

The thing is, there is an element of danger in Kylo; there needs to be an element of danger, of unpredictability, of implicit threat, for the scene to be as complex as it is, and to actually work as it does. Had Kylo just been nice and gentle and apologetic with Rey, there would be no struggle, no battle of the sexes, no turning of tables, and the scene wouldn't be the same at all. Being a Dangerous Male, Kylo draws on a whole lot of Gothic archetypes. Rey, as the captive maiden, in her turn draws on a whole lot of archetypes. Without all this, the scene wouldn't be the same, and Rey dominating Kylo wouldn't be as thrilling. I think it's worth noting that the scene's sexual subtext gets on a whole new on-the-nose level when Rey starts dominating Kylo. That's when the heart pounding, heavy breathing, etc. comes along. So another, alternative "sexual" reading of that scene could be of a man going weak when confronted with female sexuality. All of that is lost the moment one casts Rey as the victim.

But danger is one thing, and sexual subtext is one thing; being a coded rape scene is something where I personally draw the line. I agree with @AceofWands, the scene is meant to be not only empowering, but also a moment of mysterious, primal connection between Kylo and Rey. ("They react to a feeling that passes between them..." a.k.a. the "don't be afraid, I feel it too" moment.) As a coded rape scene, I couldn't see that as anything other than sickening.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Fri 19 May - 20:56

@Darth Dingbat - I agree with a lot of what you say except that I see this element in the scene too. I probably won't be able to determine how strong I think it is until the trilogy ends. Anything in the subtext is kind of indeterminate. The beauty of subtext is that it is not maintext.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Fri 18 Aug - 1:17

Intentionality: “Quick” Analysis of Rey’s Capture on Takodana."
By Kylo Rey All Day Erry Day

https://www.google.com/amp/kylo-rey-all-day-erry-day.tumblr.com/post/136875080958/intentionality-quick-analysis-of-reys-capture/amp

Another fantastic Meta about the infamous Reylo Bridal Carry.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum