Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Sat 17 Jun - 16:44

ZioRen wrote:I'm trying not to get too worried about canon Reylo possibly being in this guy's hands. Everything in me is going "yikes, yikes, yikes".
@ZioRen

That's exactly what is happening (the fact that he was picked based on SNG is further proof). Part of me is trying not to think too hard about it, while the other part is silently screaming (and not in a good way).

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Sat 17 Jun - 16:46

@Sacrebleu wtf did I just read.  Shocked

Look, I've read through everything and I have mixed feelings, I guess. Has anyone here actually seen BoH yet??

I have to say, JJ's first two Star Treks are what got me into ST enough to watch the Original Series. Before TFA, my obsession was the Original Series, I love Spock, Bones, all of them!

Sexism, pretty ladies, and skin is part of the ST universe, tbh...if Carol's strip scene bothers you, I wouldn't advise watching the OT, because Kirk basically can't get through an episode without wooing a woman.

I hated the unnecessary scene with Uhura and Carol panties, but I just rolled my eyes because it's ST, that's a nod back to the original style. Kirk was a lady's man. I'm not saying it's right, I hate it. That's why Rey was so refreshing, she shows not an inch of skin past her shoulders.

They won't do that with Rey, they can't. It's Star Wars and Disney-owned. I mean PoTC 4 bothered me when Penelope Cruz was crawling up Johnny Depp and they showed his eyes roll (I was like wtf did I just see) but I really can't see something beyond a wet t shirt thing with Rey. As long as it makes sense with the plot (which it would if they're fighting in the rain) then I'm okay with it. If it's just "Oh, we want people to see her nakey let's just make her fall into a spikey bush and get her shirt torn off", I'll be like "sit down LF".

I don't like how all of a sudden this turned into a TFA and Star Trek bashing thread, but whatever. TFA is a great movie and if I had to change anything, it would be that Kylo didn't kill Han. If they don't have a great enough sympathizing story for Kylo to make up for that, then I really won't be able to forgive JJ for that "artistic decision".

Anyway, not sure what to think about Colin. It's all disturbing but it's not in our hands. I'd just like one of us to go see BoH with an open mind and report back.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 17 Jun - 16:48

IoJovi wrote:I think in their quest to pursue lesser known, indie directors for a big franchise, they ended up getting too caught up in what it means to be lesser known. From what I gather, Collin was picked almost solely on one film (SNG), along with Steven Spielberg's recommendation​ and basically knowing the right people. Now, everyone knows how much I loved SNG, and I can see why a film that quircky while still being gripping and relatable would catch their eye.

One film doesn't cut it though. I didn't hate JW but it certainly wasn't memorable. Michael Bay could have directed it for all I knew.

That short film though @Mrs Ben Solo posted yesterday is all kinds of terrible and is so cringy I don't know what else to say.
@IoJovi

Given the rest of his body of work (so far), I'm staring to have major concerns that SNG is the outlier here. Like you, I actually really enjoyed SNG (even if the visuals/directorial style didn't demonstrate anything innovative).

It's making me think of how many bands put out great debut albums or writers with debut novels, and their follow-up work never comes anywhere close.

In spite of all of the misogyny in CT's non-SNG work, I'm not overly concerned about Reylo, given that he's going to have KK and everyone else to hopefully reign him in. All CT has to do for Reylo is follow-through on what Rian Johnson sets up. I'd be more concerned about CT and Reylo if CT had Rian's job of positioning the characters.

With CT, I'm more concerned about the resolution of Rey's arc, how he handles Leia, and how he wraps things up in general.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sat 17 Jun - 16:52

@Xylo Ren I have not actually seen BoH and if I did end up liking it, it wouldn't be the first time I ended up loving a badly panned movie. I can't say one way or the other because I haven't seen it. I would love it if someone could report back! Not sure if I want to pay movie theater ticket prices to see it, but I might swing for it when it shows up for rental. That probably shouldn't be too far away from what I gather. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sat 17 Jun - 17:27

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
IoJovi wrote:I think in their quest to pursue lesser known, indie directors for a big franchise, they ended up getting too caught up in what it means to be lesser known. From what I gather, Collin was picked almost solely on one film (SNG), along with Steven Spielberg's recommendation​ and basically knowing the right people. Now, everyone knows how much I loved SNG, and I can see why a film that quircky while still being gripping and relatable would catch their eye.

One film doesn't cut it though. I didn't hate JW but it certainly wasn't memorable. Michael Bay could have directed it for all I knew.

That short film though @Mrs Ben Solo posted yesterday is all kinds of terrible and is so cringy I don't know what else to say.
@IoJovi

Given the rest of his body of work (so far), I'm staring to have major concerns that SNG is the outlier here. Like you, I actually really enjoyed SNG (even if the visuals/directorial style didn't demonstrate anything innovative).

It's making me think of how many bands put out great debut albums or writers with debut novels, and their follow-up work never comes anywhere close.

In spite of all of the misogyny in CT's non-SNG work, I'm not overly concerned about Reylo, given that he's going to have KK and everyone else to hopefully reign him in. All CT has to do for Reylo is follow-through on what Rian Johnson sets up. I'd be more concerned about CT and Reylo if CT had Rian's job of positioning the characters.

With CT, I'm more concerned about the resolution of Rey's arc, how he handles Leia, and how he wraps things up in general.
@ISeeAnIsland

I agree about Rey's arc. I'd really prefer having someone else handling it, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. LF will probably have a pretty tight leash on CT after this like they Gareth on R1.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Sat 17 Jun - 18:16

"Don't you worry, baby. I'm not gonna treat you like the others."
--Colin Trevorrow to Episode IX, probably.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sat 17 Jun - 18:22

WhatGirl wrote:"Don't you worry, baby. I'm not gonna treat you like the others."
--Colin Trevorrow to Episode IX, probably.
@WhatGirl

That's what he told me before he left me with two kids and he doesn't even pay child support!
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Sat 17 Jun - 18:44

vaderito wrote:
Saracene wrote:  
vaderito wrote:
ST09 is great, STiD is unbelievable garbage. JW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>STiD and Crapzilla
@vaderito

Matter of personal preference; I'd still watch STiD over JW (haven't seen Godzilla).
@Saracene

It's hilarious that JW is getting snide comments about Claire running in high heels but what of lily white Khan Noonien Sigh? LOL, that blunder is 100% worse than high heels.

Aso, don't bother with Crapzilla unless you have a really bad insomnia and need a quick sedative.

@vaderito

I mentioned the scene with the high heels in JW as a joke because it was ridiculous - I burst out laughing at the theater when that happened, but I don't think it was offensive or harmful in any way. The concern that some of us have is not about Claire's high heels.

What is concerning is the general portrayal of women and of the dynamics between men and women in JW and other Trevarrow works. There is an undertone of misogyny at worst and disregard/condescension for female characters at best in Home Base, JW and now in Book of Henry according to the reviews (I personally have not seen it yet). I think there is reason for some of us to be concerned because the fate of Rey and the Sequel Trilogy depends largely on Trevarrow as of now, and that is terrifying.

As for the rest, in the context of episode IX, whether JJ is sexist or not in his Star Trek work doesn't really matter to me - I've never made it through more than a handful of Star Trek episodes and I have not bothered with the films because that franchise doesn't interest me. What matters to me is that I saw absolutely no trace of sexism in JJ's handling of Rey and the gender interactions in TFA. And I enjoyed the hell out of TFA even with all its faults, so if they bring JJ back for IX that is fine by me.

By the same token, I'm fine if Trevorrow writes and directs IX (which let's be honest, he probably will) IF he manages to do so without mangling Rey, Kylo, Reylo and the franchise. But he has to be so much better than what he's shown so far, and I don't know if he is capable. I don't get why we have to experiment with IX when there are proven directors out there, including two who have already worked on this trilogy. I would like to see Lucasfilm address these concerns. Either make a show of support or chuck him and let JJ or Rian take over in IX.

ETA: totally watching Book of Henry today. Will report on my findings.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sat 17 Jun - 19:06

The frigid women thing definitely feels like he got spurned by a woman and can't get over it. If the issues are that deep seated that they're leaking into his films, he should see a therapist instead of using art for it. I'm all for art as coping, but there's certain topics that you probably shouldn't put in movies appealing to kids ( especially little girls ) by a guy with lady relationship issues. I don't even want Reylo if Rey gets butchered to make it happen. Again, I wanna be optimistic, but CT's track record isn't helping. I do hope KK can reign him in, part of me really wants to believe she wouldn't let him screw it up.

I guess we can hope LF takes note of these concerns and tackles them.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sat 17 Jun - 19:08

@Xylo Ren

I agree with you. I can only repeat that I don't get this whole director bashing. And I feel like we are turning into these fans that nag at LF in the hope they will change their minds because we obviously know what's best for the ST. Do we? KK is a big girl.

As for Zoe's underwear scene in Star Trek... Gee, we see shirtless guys all the time in movies and more and more naked butts too. No one is complaining then, as long as it's all tight and looking good. How many of us here are all about a Shirtless Kylo scene just because AD has nice pecs? Now, is that not objectifying? I rolled my eyes at the underwear scene, but since it was Star Trek and there was objectifying in both directions, whatever. In the end, there are producers who decide and actors who can say no. Speaking of Zoe Saldana specifically, I was more annoyed by her very short dress at the end of GotG because it made zero sense for the character. Throughout the movie Gamora goes around with a (tight) combat suit and bang at the end she's all tamed and sexy girl with a tight shirt dress. I can totally see Gamora wanting to wear such a dress because hey, it's so easy to kick a*** in it. That one was really a WTF moment for me that I try to ignore every time I watch the movie.

I guess I'll try to watch that short film to understand what the fuss is about.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 17 Jun - 19:19

Darth Rowan wrote:
vaderito wrote:
Saracene wrote:  
vaderito wrote:
ST09 is great, STiD is unbelievable garbage. JW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>STiD and Crapzilla
@vaderito

Matter of personal preference; I'd still watch STiD over JW (haven't seen Godzilla).
@Saracene

It's hilarious that JW is getting snide comments about Claire running in high heels but what of lily white Khan Noonien Sigh? LOL, that blunder is 100% worse than high heels.

Aso, don't bother with Crapzilla unless you have a really bad insomnia and need a quick sedative.

@vaderito

I mentioned the scene with the high heels in JW as a joke because it was ridiculous - I burst out laughing at the theater when that happened, but I don't think it was offensive or harmful in any way. The concern that some of us have is not about Claire's high heels.

What is concerning is the general portrayal of women and of the dynamics between men and women in JW and other Trevarrow works. There is an undertone of misogyny at worst and disregard/condescension for female characters at best in Home Base, JW and now in Book of Henry according to the reviews (I personally have not seen it yet). I think there is reason for some of us to be concerned because the fate of Rey and the Sequel Trilogy depends largely on Trevarrow as of now, and that is terrifying.

As for the rest, in the context of episode IX, whether JJ is sexist or not in his Star Trek work doesn't really matter to me - I've never made it through more than a handful of Star Trek episodes and I have not bothered with the films because that franchise doesn't interest me. What matters to me is that I saw absolutely no trace of sexism in JJ's handling of Rey and the gender interactions in TFA. And I enjoyed the hell out of TFA even with all its faults, so if they bring JJ back for IX that is fine by me.

By the same token, I'm fine if Trevorrow writes and directs IX (which let's be honest, he probably will) IF he manages to do so without mangling Rey, Kylo, Reylo and the franchise. But he has to be so much better than what he's shown so far, and I don't know if he is capable. I don't get why we have to experiment with IX when there are proven directors out there, including two who have already worked on this trilogy. I would like to see Lucasfilm address these concerns. Either make a show of support or chuck him and let JJ or Rian take over in IX.

ETA: totally watching Book of Henry today. Will report on my findings.
@Darth Rowan

Yes! All this, but particularly, why does Episode IX, the possible finale of the most beloved family saga in cinema history, have to be an experimental training ground for a director with more misses than hits when there are probably over 100 directors with a better record standing within a 10 mile radius of KK's office right now? Why does this get to be his learning curve work? That is completely insane!

I don't care if a change would delay the movie. This movie needs A-game players. This thing is being run by the KK who talks to Tony Kushner and produced Munich, but somehow it's okay to keep a guy who will need minders the entire time? Unless she actually wants someone she can control that much, (which doesn't fit with the JJ and RJ hires), then I don't understand what is happening here.

But again, I find it interesting that there has been no LF show of support yet.

Last edited by SoloSideCousin on Sat 17 Jun - 23:57; edited 1 time in total
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Sat 17 Jun - 19:32

SanghaRen wrote:

And I feel like we are turning into these fans that nag at LF in the hope they will change their minds because we obviously know what's best for the ST. Do we? KK is a big girl.
@SanghaRen

I don't really understand this statement.  I haven't nagged anyone and have no intention of doing so.  I'm not firing off telegrams to LF and KK demanding changes.  I'm just voicing my misgivings of Trevorrow as the director of Episode IX to people who are also interested in that topic.  And no, I'm not certain I know what's best for the ST; I'm also uncertain that Trevorrow is it.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 17 Jun - 19:41

Not liking a director and their work and thinking Star Wars would be better off without them is completely logical. In the end, I pay for this product and I'm invested in the story and characters. I don't want it to be bad and it's frustrating to be stuck with a director who I think will not make a good movie. I may not know what's "best" for Star Wars but I know what I want to see out of the story, and I don't trust Trevorrow to deliver based on his past work. I don't see how that doesn't make sense.

We're just expressing our misgivings on a forum. And even if we weren't, if people want to tell Kathleen Kennedy that they wish Lucasfilm would take Colin Trevorrow off the project, that is their prerogative.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sat 17 Jun - 19:52

Ok, I watched the short film. Not my favorite type of humor although I had to laugh at him saying he would have sex with her mom. I would not want to be friends with any of the 3 characters, but maybe that's the whole point. There is no sympathy shown for any of them. I see it as a satire so it really does not bother me more than that. And honestly, I cannot understand why this is a problem for CT to be a SW director, but it's ok for AD, who's played a character that did some very questionable things too, to be playing this generation's Skywalker. And I say this in all respect to AD because I think he's a great actor, but I personally prefer to ignore he's been in Girls. So where is the difference? I don't see it.

As for BoH, I doubt I'll see it. I have other movies on my list and am not even sure I'll see these.

@Sacrebleu
I don't think I targeted you specifically. It was a general statement reading through the different posts.

The negativity reminds me of other places who want Kylo to die and are complaining about LF non-stop. And lately it's been one reason after the other to be negative about the ST. I am trying to find one thread where there is positivity and I don't. Is it not trendy anymore to be a happy SW fan? Anyhow, this thread is obviously not my cup of tea and it will only lead to disagreements so I'll leave you all to it.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 17 Jun - 19:57

Adam didn't write Girls. He played the part he was given and he did it well, like he usually does. Trevorrow has directed and written things I don't like, is traditionally not amazing with female characters, and is now doing Star Wars. For what reason should I not have some concerns? Those two situations aren't at all comparable; one is real, behind the camera stuff and one is acting out a role that is meant to be questionable while the acting itself was not. I also don't think it's comparable to getting angry at a fictional character either like those who want Kylo to die.

I get not liking negativity, and there's no doubt been a lot of it lately, but these arguments don't make sense to me.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Sat 17 Jun - 20:06

SanghaRen wrote:@Sacrebleu
I don't think I targeted you specifically. It was a general statement reading through the different posts.

The negativity reminds me of other places who want Kylo to die and are complaining about LF non-stop. And lately it's been one reason after the other to be negative about the ST. I am trying to find one thread where there is positivity and I don't. Is it not trendy anymore to be a happy SW fan? Anyhow, this thread is obviously not my cup of tea and it will only lead to disagreements so I'll leave you all to it.
@SanghaRen

I didn't feel specifically targeted, but I think it was reasonable to assume my posts were included in the general statement.  I have also experienced negativity in several internet milieus on many topics and at various times have stepped away from it when I've needed to, but again I haven't directed any complaints to LF or KK.  They are of course free to do whatever they want with the ST.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Sat 17 Jun - 20:52

I hate this situation but I think there's nothing we can do about it. We can only wait and see what happens. Euh
Moonlight13
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Sat 17 Jun - 21:00

I can't really resent the fact that Trevorrow got the job because he presents himself well in interviews or because he knows the right people. Connections and being able to sell yourself and your ideas to the potential employers is a part of every industry, not just film-making. It's just how it is. If I landed a great job in my field because of connections, I can't say I'd feel bad about it.

In the end, TPTB saw his work and were well aware of the misogyny concerns in JW, but they clearly didn't think they were important enough.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Sat 17 Jun - 21:24

My problem with the way CT handled the part of Claire in Jurassic World wasn't that she was wearing high heels, that was an aesthetic choice and plenty of women choose to dress femininely and wear heels. It was because he portrayed her as uptight and frigid, and that all she needed to do was fall in love with alpha male Owen (who her nephews preferred to her) and discover her maternal side.

My problem with having Uhura and Alice Eve's Carol strip down to their underwear in the Star Trek movies was because it added nothing to their characters or the plot to show them undressed. The original Star Trek was a product of its times and the new movie franchise had already done enough to show Kirk's womanising ways by having him covorting with a bevy of unnamed and half naked alien women. Yes, men and women get naked sometimes but when there are precious few women characters who are scientists and engineers, is it really necessary to objectify them in such a way? I don't think it's unreasonable to want such female characters to be depicted in a respectful way.

As for CT and The Book of Henry, as I said a few pages back, I would watch it on Netflix or such. I rather liked Pay It Forward, the movie it's being compared to. But it isn't as if the critical mauling it's recieved has come from a minority or from critics previously hostile to CT, it is coming from well respected critics across the board.

I do think CT has partly got caught up in the current rage against sexist male filmmakers. There has been a lot on Twitter the last couple of days about Joss Whedon and his rejected script for Wonder Woman ( https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/wonder-woman-aug7-07-joss-whedon.pdf which is awful). Also, people have been slamming Steven Speilberg for his track record on female lead characters (Martin Scorsese also got criticised for that when Silence was released). It is all part of a wider problem of inequality in Hollywood for female actors, writers, directors etc. Maybe CT will do a good enough job with the help of the extensive team around him. But why settle for good enough when there are other filmmakers with more impressive track records, male and female, who don't get a look in because they don't know the right people.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sat 17 Jun - 21:40

Also, objectification has always been different male vs female. Film, in general, has often catered more to male audiences. There's differences from genre to genre, but you'll see way more needless objectification of women than men. Women are sexualized often just for them, even if it doesn't fit at all for the character. When everything is often not for you, it's hard to take the scraps seriously. Especially when women have to fight hard to be lead characters and directors taken seriously in the industry. Men have those comforts, they can easily get these jobs vs women. The effect of a shirtless man vs a mostly naked woman is very different when considering the nature of Hollywood itself. Many women feel like they're props or second rate in cinema and the rampant female sexuality for male pleasure coming from top dogs in the industry is damaging in a way male objectification isn't.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Sat 17 Jun - 21:46

Well said @Helix I totally agree. There are a few Twitter accounts that post the casting calls for female characters in TV shows/movies/plays and they're mostly appalling in terms of wanting women they can sexualise in the most inappropriate of circumstances. The playing field is far from being level here and promoting male directors like CT far and above what their track record merits is not helping the situation.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Sat 17 Jun - 21:52

Helix wrote:Also, objectification has always been different male vs female. Film, in general, has often catered more to male audiences. There's differences from genre to genre, but you'll see way more needless objectification of women than men. Women are sexualized often just for them, even if it doesn't fit at all for the character. When everything is often not for you, it's hard to take the scraps seriously. Especially when women have to fight hard to be lead characters and directors taken seriously in the industry. Men have those comforts, they can easily get these jobs vs women. The effect of a shirtless man vs a mostly naked woman is very different when considering the nature of Hollywood itself. Many women feel like they're props or second rate in cinema and the rampant female sexuality for male pleasure coming from top dogs in the industry is damaging in a way male objectification isn't.
@Helix

True, though I'm also not fond of the swing to the other extreme where respectful = sexless.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sat 17 Jun - 21:59

Saracene wrote:
Helix wrote:Also, objectification has always been different male vs female. Film, in general, has often catered more to male audiences. There's differences from genre to genre, but you'll see way more needless objectification of women than men. Women are sexualized often just for them, even if it doesn't fit at all for the character. When everything is often not for you, it's hard to take the scraps seriously. Especially when women have to fight hard to be lead characters and directors taken seriously in the industry. Men have those comforts, they can easily get these jobs vs women. The effect of a shirtless man vs a mostly naked woman is very different when considering the nature of Hollywood itself. Many women feel like they're props or second rate in cinema and the rampant female sexuality for male pleasure coming from top dogs in the industry is damaging in a way male objectification isn't.
@Helix

True, though I'm also not fond of the swing to the other extreme where respectful = sexless.
@Saracene

I agree, I think positive female sexuality should have a place in Cinema. It just shouldn't be put there simply for the male audience to ogle at.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Sat 17 Jun - 23:01

GOOD LORD.

I'm preparing an epic rant about the whole mess.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Sat 17 Jun - 23:42

Re: Book of Henry, I just got out of the theater. Guys, I didn't hate it. After seeing it for myself I am actually surprised at all the vitriol and the intensity of the backlash. It's no masterpiece and won't win any awards but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen and I actually enjoyed parts of it as much as I found parts of it annoying. I guess I understand now why audience ratings are in the 70% range.  *shrug*

Hard to talk about it without spoiling the key events but I will see if I can put a review together when I get home.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum