Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Darth Rowan on Sun 18 Jun - 14:30

Great post, @Irina de France, worth the read. And yes, I too have limited sympathy for actresses who posture in one way and then behave in another way so they can collect their check — looking at you, Chastain.

I have to disagree that IX is a female driven story like Wonder Woman and therefore would work best with a female director. It's apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned, because IX is not the equivalent of "the Rey movie". It's Star Wars. I don't see why the director's gender should matter in the least, it should go to the man or woman who has the ability and availability, imo. I also don't agree that women driven projects need a woman director, just as I would disagree with anyone saying that action or war movies about men should be left to the men folk to direct. Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker - enough said.

I do absolutely agree with the larger point that we need more women directing and more actors of racial minorities playing parts, but to me that's different than saying "only a woman should direct this movie" or "only an actor who isn't white should play this part, not because the script calls for it but because we want more representation." Not saying that's what you are advocating for Irina, but others do, and to me that kind of practice will lead to exclusion based on gender and ethnicity, which is the opposite of equality.

To me, exclusion of white men and rewarding projects not because they are excellent but because they are not white is not the answer to the "Oscars so male and white" problem. Write more diverse characters and stories about minorities, make sure that kids have access to the arts so they can become actors/directors/producers regardless of their ethnicity and include women in the conversation when you're looking for a director. It's about freaking time.

@snufkin wrote:@Darth Rowan - Ha! I too was student government nerd, so that's the source of my crack. The PT war is about as dramatic as the time the previous administration made a back room deal to spend  our entire annual budget on booking somebody's boyfriend's band for the Halloween dance. No assasins though come to think of it, more drama than the entire PT.Let's put it this way, Padme is no Tracy Flick. Or more to the point, she's what Leia would've been if Gloria Katz, Leigh Brackett, Carrie Fisher, and Lawrence Kasdan hadn't been involved in the OT and George Lucas alone had written her.
@snufkin

Lol, agree 100%.

_________________
"We'll see."
avatar
Darth Rowan
Admin

Messages : 2879
Likes : 8334
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Irina de France on Sun 18 Jun - 16:25

@"DarthRowan" Just to be clear: my point is not that female directors should be the only ones directing female-centric movies. My point is that to make a good female-centric movie, a safer bet would be to have a female director for it to be well done. As for male directors, I think there are some that are totally capable of doing some with a female heroine (Guillermo del Toro, Kenneth Brannagh and Alan Lee come to mind), but sometimes, it's kind of a case of hit and miss, to be honest.

Just to be clearer, here Wink And not gonna lie, I do roll my eyes every time I see people on Tumblr hating a movie or a TV series or a play because "ugh the cast is white". Like, yes, I'll advocate for more diversity any day, but I don't see the point of hating a show just because the casting department could have done better.

_________________

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]


Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!


Avatar source: [X]
avatar
Irina de France
Moderator

Messages : 1589
Likes : 7907
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-22
Age : 22
Localisation : Ottawa, Canada

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 18 Jun - 16:53

@Sacrebleu wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:As for my comparison, I stick to it @sacrebleu. Actors have the choice to look into the material and say no, too. Yes, it might mean losing a job but that's a choice. And again I appreciate AD. Funny thing is I just mentioned to my mom that AD is in a show called Girls that has a lot of nakedness. My mom was like "Really? I don't want to see it. I prefer to keep him in my mind as Kylo." Mother and daughter united by their crush on a zipped-up Kylo  Laughing
@SanghaRen

I'm not sure why you're tagging me here as I didn't say anything about the difference between Adam Driver's role in Girls and a director like Colin Trevorrow who is also the writer; it was @ZioRen who made that observation.

My main concern with Colin's attitudes is how those will affect the quality of the Star Wars film he writes and produces.  Based on his other work, my hopes are not that high.
@Sacrebleu

Obviously, I was not thinking straight and tagged the wrong person, sorry Neutral

@Darth Rowan
I understand what you mean, but I guess I don't get the point of worrying about episode IX when we haven't even seen TLJ and I am tired of the negativity. To me movies are entertainment and fandom should be about sharing with other people your appreciation for a movie or a show, etc. If all there is left is worrying and stress, what's the point? It's still LF's product and they do what they want with it. They chose CT and if they want to stick with him, they will. If it fails, well, too bad but there are worse things in life. Anyways. Thank you for your review of the Book of Henry. It's good that someone saw it.
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1483
Likes : 7511
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Jun - 17:07

@SanghaRen wrote:
@Sacrebleu wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:As for my comparison, I stick to it @sacrebleu. Actors have the choice to look into the material and say no, too. Yes, it might mean losing a job but that's a choice. And again I appreciate AD. Funny thing is I just mentioned to my mom that AD is in a show called Girls that has a lot of nakedness. My mom was like "Really? I don't want to see it. I prefer to keep him in my mind as Kylo." Mother and daughter united by their crush on a zipped-up Kylo  Laughing
@SanghaRen

I'm not sure why you're tagging me here as I didn't say anything about the difference between Adam Driver's role in Girls and a director like Colin Trevorrow who is also the writer; it was @ZioRen who made that observation.

My main concern with Colin's attitudes is how those will affect the quality of the Star Wars film he writes and produces.  Based on his other work, my hopes are not that high.
@Sacrebleu

Obviously, I was not thinking straight and tagged the wrong person, sorry Neutral

@Darth Rowan
I understand what you mean, but I guess I don't get the point of worrying about episode IX when we haven't even seen TLJ and I am tired of the negativity. To me movies are entertainment and fandom should be about sharing with other people your appreciation for a movie or a show, etc. If all there is left is worrying and stress, what's the point? It's still LF's product and they do what they want with it. They chose CT and if they want to stick with him, they will. If it fails, well, too bad but there are worse things in life. Anyways. Thank you for your review of the Book of Henry. It's good that someone saw it.
@SanghaRen

Count me in too as being tired of the negativity. I'm not gonna lie - I am concerned about Colin Trevorrow and the task he's assigned with of giving this trilogy a (hopefully) satisfying ending for all of the characters involved. I did appreciate the analogy of giving a 16 year old keys to your Ferrari and asking them to practice parallel parking. I don't think that's off the mark. Still, I'm exhausted all to heck from RomanceGate, PlotGate and everything that followed on after that. I'm wiped out and I want to move on to greater things like say, today's Tweet from Matt Martin telling us what we already knew... Laughing.

avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6466
Likes : 36467
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Helix on Sun 18 Jun - 17:21

The lack of news and secrecy don't help and that's been said before. There's not many beefy leaks to dissect, we're mostly getting scraps through merch leaks and those don't tell us much.
avatar
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2493
Likes : 10416
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Darth Rowan on Sun 18 Jun - 18:18

@SanghaRen, @IoJovi and everyone who is tired of negativity: I understand where you guys are coming from, I get tired of negativity as well, especially when it seems like there is always something new to worry about. I have taken long breaks from posting because it felt like most of the conversations were downers and I didn't feel like I wanted to participate in all that.

On the flip side, I think that people should be able to express their fears and concerns here as well. I am speaking for myself here and this is a general comment, not about either of your posts: at times I've noticed that when someone voices a concern in the forum their opinion can get downplayed in a way that feels invalidating. Ironically, sometimes the more a person's point of view is invalidated, the more they get attached to it and the more they want talk about it. If someone tells me that I have nothing to worry about when it comes to the ST and that I am being an alarmist, I am going to come up with a list of items to refute that argument and to show that there are a whole bunch of things to worry about. Whereas if I can talk about what I'm worried about and those who don't want to engage in the discussion ignore the post instead of trying to shut it down, at some point I'm going to move on to something else.

So I don't know what the answer is here. I feel like we have definitely beat the CT and BOH debacle horse to death and the conversation is bound to move on - personally I've said all I've needed to on the matter - but this kind of thing will happen again when the next crisis blows. Should we plan to open a "worry thread" where people can go and post their worry to their hearts content? XD

It's in the same vein of the Fan Fatigue thread, but would serve a different purpose as people who rather not focus on those aspects would have no reason to go in. Idk, any thoughts on this?

_________________
"We'll see."
avatar
Darth Rowan
Admin

Messages : 2879
Likes : 8334
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Saracene on Sun 18 Jun - 18:37

I think that "woman directing a female-centric film is a safer bet" may be well-meaning, but it's IMO precisely the sort of thing that encourages division and ghettos in film-making. Because then, isn't it also "a safer bet" for a male-centric film to be directed by a man? And are studio heads then justified in not considering female directors for these jobs?

As for the negativity thing... I can see why some people might be tired of it, but isn't it the case of simply scrolling past the stuff you don't want to read?
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1541
Likes : 9497
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 37
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Jun - 18:44

@Darth Rowan wrote:@SanghaRen, @IoJovi and everyone who is tired of negativity: I understand where you guys are coming from, I get tired of negativity as well, especially when it seems like there is always something new to worry about. I have taken long breaks from posting because it felt like most of the conversations were downers and I didn't feel like I wanted to participate in all that.

On the flip side, I think that people should be able to express their fears and concerns here as well. I am speaking for myself here and this is a general comment, not about either of your posts: at times I've noticed that when someone voices a concern in the forum their opinion can get downplayed in a way that feels invalidating. Ironically, sometimes the more a person's point of view is invalidated, the more they get attached to it and the more they want talk about it. If someone tells me that I have nothing to worry about when it comes to the ST and that I am being an alarmist, I am going to come up with a list of items to refute that argument and to show that there are a whole bunch of things to worry about. Whereas if I can talk about what I'm worried about and those who don't want to engage in the discussion ignore the post instead of trying to shut it down, at some point I'm going to move on to something else.

So I don't know what the answer is here. I feel like we have definitely beat the CT and BOH debacle horse to death and the conversation is bound to move on - personally I've said all I've needed to on the matter - but this kind of thing will happen again when the next crisis blows. Should we plan to open a "worry thread" where people can go and post their worry to their hearts content? XD

It's in the same vein of the Fan Fatigue thread, but would serve a different purpose as people who rather not focus on those aspects would have no reason to go in. Idk, any thoughts on this?
@Darth Rowan

I can't speak for @SanghaRen , but I personally have no problem at all with the discussion or its points as it stands now.  My comment about the negativity was more general, with being exhausted from these damn gates every nano second.  People should be free to discuss things as they wish constructively, good or bad.  This discussion also centers around CT in the thread designed for him, and it's also not seeping into other discussions, so I see no need to move it.  

I think my comments also stem from the fact that I do miss the celebratory type of days, which for awhile, seemed to come weekly for months on end.  There was Reygate, JJ's DVD commentary, the SW database update, and countless tweets from the story team telling us none of what we saw was in our heads.  That's what I miss.  Now that the marketing campaign has begun, I can't imagine we'll get too many more of those as I can already tell Rey and Kylo's interactions in TLJ are being kept under lock and key.  

In other words, don't feel like you have to censor yourself with your feelings about Trevorrow.  I'm not even disagreeing with you - I'm nervous as heck.  I have no doubts we're still getting Reylo out of this trilogy, but I fear we'll end up getting Reylo done badly.  My only point is I can't dwell on that too much, when I haven't even seen TLJ yet.  

@SoloSideCousin brought up an excellent point that we have seen zero damage control from Lucasfilm in regards to this.  It could mean one of two things - either they are in fact looking to replace him, or they want to draw no more attention to this than it's already gotten.  If it's the former, awesome.  If it's the second, that is kind of a bad look and it isn't doing them any favors.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6466
Likes : 36467
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Darth Rowan on Sun 18 Jun - 18:56

@IoJovi

Don't worry, I didn't take your comment or @SanghaRen's post in that way, I just thought it was a good opportunity to bring up that concern because it's been on my mind in light of all the negativity lately and the (understandable) resulting fatigue.

@Saracene wrote:I think that "woman directing a female-centric film is a safer bet" may be well-meaning, but it's IMO precisely the sort of thing that encourages division and ghettos in film-making. Because then, isn't it also "a safer bet" for a male-centric film to be directed by a man? And are studio heads then justified in not considering female directors for these jobs?

As for the negativity thing... I can see why some people might be tired of it, but isn't it the case of simply scrolling past the stuff you don't want to read?

@Saracene I agree with what you're saying about women directors.

Re: the bolded, that's my approach too, but I've had one on one conversations with people who say that when the forum gets negative they just want to stay away. I'm just brainstorming about what would help in that situation.

But by the same token, it's going to be a lot of uncertainty until we actually get to see TLJ, so I don't think we'll have anywhere to escape the stress at some point. XD

We'll have to rely on each other to get through, imo.

_________________
"We'll see."
avatar
Darth Rowan
Admin

Messages : 2879
Likes : 8334
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 18 Jun - 19:23

@Darth Rowan and @IoJovi

It's ok. I understand people need to vent. It's just been a lot of venting lately for all sorts of things and it kind of destroys the fandom spirit for me. I will stay away from this thread for a while and focus on other threads. And maybe take a break from ST related threads because I want to give myself the chance to enjoy the next 2 movies and some of the promotional stuff and side products that come with it. I don't mind spoilers and so but I don't want to enter the theater with a hypercritical mind. I want to let myself being carried along by the movie. Well, hopefully it does that. Anyways, all good, closing the door to this thread now.
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1483
Likes : 7511
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 18 Jun - 19:23

I think some level of Colin worryfest almost had to happen because the Henry reviews were just that bad. When you get that "worst movie of the decade" language, some feelings have got to be expressed given how much attention we've given this franchise. But it was very unfortunate that this had to happen after what has seemed to be non-stop gates for the past two months. It's just exhausting.

That said, I think the community is already pulling ourselves out of it. Like in the spoiler thread we were all speculating about whether Poe gets demoted and why Leia slaps ... and now there's the awesomeness of Lego Pimp Snoke. Very Happy    I really think Rian is going to deliver something awesome, and frankly, that more than anything is going to put the pressure on for IX to be a good product.

Also, I get the impression that KK is not the type who is going to be pleased with a half-a** product, especially when this is her baby now. She might have screwed up with CT, but I do think that she has enough of a competitive nature that she will work her butt off to make it good, even if her initial choice necessitates that journey being a long hard road.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Kyla Ren on Sun 18 Jun - 20:30

I saw a late showing of The Book of Henry last night.  It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was certainly far from the best.  And it was only an hour and 45 minutes long, but to me it seemed much longer.

Anyway, I would blame the movie’s shortcomings on the story itself more than the director.   The plot was just kind of bizarre.  That's probably not really the right word for it, but at the moment I can't really think of another one.  But in any case, I guess maybe the question for me is why CT would want to direct this particular film.

At the moment I'm not sure what to think of CT directing Episode IX.  So far I've only seen three of his movies:  Jurassic World, Home Base, and The Book of Henry.  I remember almost nothing about Jurassic World.  I thought it was very mediocre and forgettable.  Home Base was more memorable, but probably not for the best reasons.  And The Book of Henry was just bizarre, in my opinion.  I still want to see Safety Not Guaranteed.  That’s supposed to be pretty good and there’s a romance in it.  I guess I’ll see what I think after I see that.
avatar
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 608
Likes : 1911
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Jun - 20:41

@Kyla Ren wrote:I saw a late showing of The Book of Henry last night.  It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was certainly far from the best.  And it was only an hour and 45 minutes long, but to me it seemed much longer.

Anyway, I would blame the movie’s shortcomings on the story itself more than the director.   The plot was just kind of bizarre.  That's probably not really the right word for it, but at the moment I can't really think of another one.  But in any case, I guess maybe the question for me is why CT would want to direct this particular film.

At the moment I'm not sure what to think of CT directing Episode IX.  So far I've only seen three of his movies:  Jurassic World, Home Base, and The Book of Henry.  I remember almost nothing about Jurassic World.  I thought it was very mediocre and forgettable.  Home Base was more memorable, but probably not for the best reasons.  And The Book of Henry was just bizarre, in my opinion.  I still want to see Safety Not Guaranteed.  That’s supposed to be pretty good and there’s a romance in it.  I guess I’ll see what I think after I see that.
@Kyla Ren

Safety Not Guaranteed is probably THE reason why I'm holding a tiny, miniscule bit of hope for Colin. I wrote a short review on it in this same thread which I think is now long buried by TrevorrowGate, but anyway...

It's absolutely fabulous. Even without the Reylo parallels (which there are many), it's a great film on its own.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6466
Likes : 36467
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Kylo Men on Sun 18 Jun - 20:51

FTR: I don't know what to make of Carrie Fisher's latter-day fainting spells about the metal bikini. Maybe as a 60-year-old, she regretted it. But as a hot 25-year-old she was asking for it. She told Lucas that she wanted sexier outfits because she was sick of formless robes. She might well have gotten more than she bargained for. But at the time she was a beautiful young woman who wanted to show off her body. She also has told humorous stories about showing the movies to her daughter and saying "See, look how great I looked."

I'm also amused by her contention that they raised Billie Lourd in a genderless way because she seems to have turned out extremely girly-girly and ended up dating the werewolf guy who can't keep his shirt on.

I don't mean to be critical.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 501
Likes : 1842
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by ZioRen on Sun 18 Jun - 21:03

I still think comparing Adam Driver taking on and doing well playing a questionable role that was meant to be questionable and Colin Trevorrow not writing movies or female characters who are all that great (in my opinion) makes no sense. I don't understand how the two things have anything in common. In my opinion, Adam is good at his job and Colin is okay at best. I don't see how the roles Adam plays have anything to do with anything, since he plays them well. Basically I don't see how this argument has anything to do with complaints about Trevorrow's work.

That's all I'll say on the matter since it seems people are getting testy about the criticism. I'm not changing my mind: I'd prefer Trevorrow off of IX because I don't really like his stuff and I don't trust him to write the characters in a way I like. I'm not going to freak out or throw a fit over it or anything, but there it is.


Last edited by ZioRen on Sun 18 Jun - 21:08; edited 1 time in total
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1786
Likes : 11623
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Kyla Ren on Sun 18 Jun - 21:07

@IoJovi wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:I saw a late showing of The Book of Henry last night.  It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was certainly far from the best.  And it was only an hour and 45 minutes long, but to me it seemed much longer.

Anyway, I would blame the movie’s shortcomings on the story itself more than the director.   The plot was just kind of bizarre.  That's probably not really the right word for it, but at the moment I can't really think of another one.  But in any case, I guess maybe the question for me is why CT would want to direct this particular film.

At the moment I'm not sure what to think of CT directing Episode IX.  So far I've only seen three of his movies:  Jurassic World, Home Base, and The Book of Henry.  I remember almost nothing about Jurassic World.  I thought it was very mediocre and forgettable.  Home Base was more memorable, but probably not for the best reasons.  And The Book of Henry was just bizarre, in my opinion.  I still want to see Safety Not Guaranteed.  That’s supposed to be pretty good and there’s a romance in it.  I guess I’ll see what I think after I see that.
@Kyla Ren

Safety Not Guaranteed is probably THE reason why I'm holding a tiny, miniscule bit of hope for Colin.  I wrote a short review on it in this same thread which I think is now long buried by TrevorrowGate, but anyway...

It's absolutely fabulous.  Even without the Reylo parallels (which there are many), it's a great film on its own.  
@IoJovi

I just went back and found your review about SNG, as well as some reviews from other members here (there are a few on page 2 of this thread if anyone wants to go back and read them) and I do feel better now. Smile  Maybe unconventional romances are CT's wheelhouse.  Maybe that's partly why they chose him to direct Episode IX.

Actually, on the way home from the movie last night, the friend I went to see it with (who is also a Reylo) and I were discussing why CT would want to direct BoH.  My friend suggested that maybe it was because he wanted to do something bold.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe he's right.  Could that also be part of the reason that Disney/LF chose CT for Episode IX?  Because for some people, Reylo might be controversial and maybe CT wouldn't be worried about that.  Maybe he'll just forge ahead and give us the epic Reylo romance we're hoping for.   I don't know.  Just a thought.  I'm just trying to figure out what Disney/LF's thinking was when they hired him.  I mean, a large part of their decision might very well have been because of the huge success of Jurassic World, but I wonder if there were other reasons.  Because I know they're in it to make money, but I would hope that they also care about making a really good (hopefully great) film to end the sequel trilogy.
avatar
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 608
Likes : 1911
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Kessel on Sun 18 Jun - 23:29

@Kyla Ren wrote:
Actually, on the way home from the movie last night, the friend I went to see it with (who is also a Reylo) and I were discussing why CT would want to direct BoH.  My friend suggested that maybe it was because he wanted to do something bold.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe he's right.  Could that also be part of the reason that Disney/LF chose CT for Episode IX?  Because for some people, Reylo might be controversial and maybe CT wouldn't be worried about that.  Maybe he'll just forge ahead and give us the epic Reylo romance we're hoping for.   I don't know.  Just a thought.  I'm just trying to figure out what Disney/LF's thinking was when they hired him.  I mean, a large part of their decision might very well have been because of the huge success of Jurassic World, but I wonder if there were other reasons.  Because I know they're in it to make money, but I would hope that they also care about making a really good (hopefully great) film to end the sequel trilogy.
@Kyla Ren

Frankly, I think it was Jurassic World (which was almost guaranteed to make money) and Colin's connections (he had directors like Brad Byrd vouch for him to KK). I don't think it was because of his unique creativity or talent creating engaging characters, scenarios or dialogue.

Honestly, the idea of Colin perhaps developing Reylo frightens me. I don't have confidence he has what it takes to develop such a compelling story and characters. I'm not saying I know for a fact he couldn't do it, but nothing I've seen from him assures me he definitely could.
avatar
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1387
Likes : 10367
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Mon 19 Jun - 0:04

@Kyla Ren wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:I saw a late showing of The Book of Henry last night.  It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was certainly far from the best.  And it was only an hour and 45 minutes long, but to me it seemed much longer.

Anyway, I would blame the movie’s shortcomings on the story itself more than the director.   The plot was just kind of bizarre.  That's probably not really the right word for it, but at the moment I can't really think of another one.  But in any case, I guess maybe the question for me is why CT would want to direct this particular film.

At the moment I'm not sure what to think of CT directing Episode IX.  So far I've only seen three of his movies:  Jurassic World, Home Base, and The Book of Henry.  I remember almost nothing about Jurassic World.  I thought it was very mediocre and forgettable.  Home Base was more memorable, but probably not for the best reasons.  And The Book of Henry was just bizarre, in my opinion.  I still want to see Safety Not Guaranteed.  That’s supposed to be pretty good and there’s a romance in it.  I guess I’ll see what I think after I see that.
@Kyla Ren

Safety Not Guaranteed is probably THE reason why I'm holding a tiny, miniscule bit of hope for Colin.  I wrote a short review on it in this same thread which I think is now long buried by TrevorrowGate, but anyway...

It's absolutely fabulous.  Even without the Reylo parallels (which there are many), it's a great film on its own.  
@IoJovi

I just went back and found your review about SNG, as well as some reviews from other members here (there are a few on page 2 of this thread if anyone wants to go back and read them) and I do feel better now. Smile  Maybe unconventional romances are CT's wheelhouse.  Maybe that's partly why they chose him to direct Episode IX.

Actually, on the way home from the movie last night, the friend I went to see it with (who is also a Reylo) and I were discussing why CT would want to direct BoH.  My friend suggested that maybe it was because he wanted to do something bold.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe he's right.  Could that also be part of the reason that Disney/LF chose CT for Episode IX?  Because for some people, Reylo might be controversial and maybe CT wouldn't be worried about that.  Maybe he'll just forge ahead and give us the epic Reylo romance we're hoping for.   I don't know.  Just a thought.  I'm just trying to figure out what Disney/LF's thinking was when they hired him.  I mean, a large part of their decision might very well have been because of the huge success of Jurassic World, but I wonder if there were other reasons.  Because I know they're in it to make money, but I would hope that they also care about making a really good (hopefully great) film to end the sequel trilogy.
@Kyla Ren

I hope that if and when Rey and Kylo's dynamic turns romantic, it won't feel controversial to anyone. They have to get the general audience on board with the idea, including those who didn't pick up anything from TFA. Rian's going to have to do the heavy lifting on this IMO.
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1248
Likes : 5851
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Millicent the Cat on Mon 19 Jun - 0:08

This drama will blow over fast if they leak the script for TLJ now. The Book of Who? rabbit
avatar
Millicent the Cat
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 58
Likes : 382
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-28
Localisation : In Kylo's ashtray.

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Mon 19 Jun - 0:22

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:I saw a late showing of The Book of Henry last night.  It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was certainly far from the best.  And it was only an hour and 45 minutes long, but to me it seemed much longer.

Anyway, I would blame the movie’s shortcomings on the story itself more than the director.   The plot was just kind of bizarre.  That's probably not really the right word for it, but at the moment I can't really think of another one.  But in any case, I guess maybe the question for me is why CT would want to direct this particular film.

At the moment I'm not sure what to think of CT directing Episode IX.  So far I've only seen three of his movies:  Jurassic World, Home Base, and The Book of Henry.  I remember almost nothing about Jurassic World.  I thought it was very mediocre and forgettable.  Home Base was more memorable, but probably not for the best reasons.  And The Book of Henry was just bizarre, in my opinion.  I still want to see Safety Not Guaranteed.  That’s supposed to be pretty good and there’s a romance in it.  I guess I’ll see what I think after I see that.
@Kyla Ren

Safety Not Guaranteed is probably THE reason why I'm holding a tiny, miniscule bit of hope for Colin.  I wrote a short review on it in this same thread which I think is now long buried by TrevorrowGate, but anyway...

It's absolutely fabulous.  Even without the Reylo parallels (which there are many), it's a great film on its own.  
@IoJovi

I just went back and found your review about SNG, as well as some reviews from other members here (there are a few on page 2 of this thread if anyone wants to go back and read them) and I do feel better now. Smile  Maybe unconventional romances are CT's wheelhouse.  Maybe that's partly why they chose him to direct Episode IX.

Actually, on the way home from the movie last night, the friend I went to see it with (who is also a Reylo) and I were discussing why CT would want to direct BoH.  My friend suggested that maybe it was because he wanted to do something bold.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe he's right.  Could that also be part of the reason that Disney/LF chose CT for Episode IX?  Because for some people, Reylo might be controversial and maybe CT wouldn't be worried about that.  Maybe he'll just forge ahead and give us the epic Reylo romance we're hoping for.   I don't know.  Just a thought.  I'm just trying to figure out what Disney/LF's thinking was when they hired him.  I mean, a large part of their decision might very well have been because of the huge success of Jurassic World, but I wonder if there were other reasons.  Because I know they're in it to make money, but I would hope that they also care about making a really good (hopefully great) film to end the sequel trilogy.
@Kyla Ren

I hope that if and when Rey and Kylo's dynamic turns romantic, it won't feel controversial to anyone. They have to get the general audience on board with the idea, including those who didn't pick up anything from TFA. Rian's going to have to do the heavy lifting on this IMO.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Agreed, and I think that's precisely why "romance won't be a centerpiece" in TLJ.  While it won't be central to the plot, it's still Rian's job to set it up so it will be in the next installment.  That's going to be a much bigger challenge than the romance itself.  It makes me grateful this falls on Rian's shoulders rather than Colin's.  

Going back to what IX will look like, and I hate to keep going on about SNG, but I wonder if Colin feels more inspired by untraditional romances (where the underdog gets the girl) rather than what you'd see in a typical blockbuster movie (see Jurassic World).  SNG, to me at least, wasn't just a good film - it was great! Based on what I've seen (that 10 minute short film for example), he seems to have deep seated issues with women, but if he identifies with that underdog, that inspiration could have a positive affect.  

I know KK has stated outright that part of why she picked Colin was based on SNG (and JW wasn't finished at the time he was chosen).  I'm just trying to figure out what they saw in him that goes beyond having the right connections.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6466
Likes : 36467
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Mon 19 Jun - 0:53

In regards to why he got picked, it started with Brad Bird seeing Safety Not Guaranteed and it reminded him of something that he would make and in turn recommended him to Frank Marshall and Steven Spielberg (x):

Colin Trevorrow’s Hollywood fairy tale started at the Sundance Film Festival in 2012. The bespectacled, bearded director, then 35, came to Park City, Utah, with an endearingly quirky time-travel romantic comedy executive-produced by the endearingly quirky Duplass brothers, Mark and Jay, and starring Mark. The $750,000 indie film, ‘‘Safety Not Guaranteed,’’ went on to make $4 million in theaters.

The young director soon found a mentor in Brad Bird, who became famous at Pixar directing ‘‘The Incredibles’’ and ‘‘Ratatouille.’’ Trevorrow started hanging out with Bird on the set of his big-budget George Clooney movie, ‘‘Tomorrowland.’’ Bird called his pal Frank Marshall, a producer of ‘‘Jurassic World,’’ to give him a heads up.

‘‘There is this guy,’’ Bird said, ‘‘that reminds me of me.’’

Marshall was so impressed with Trevorrow that he took him to meet Steven Spielberg. That’s where Trevorrow hit the jackpot: He was tapped to direct and co-write the $150 million ‘‘Jurassic World.’’ The movie went on to make $1.6 billion, and Trevorrow was signed to direct the ninth ‘‘Star Wars.’’

That kind of leap — from indie to blockbuster — is almost exclusively reserved for young guys in baseball caps who remind older guys in baseball caps of themselves.

When I say insidious, it's because the title Safety Not Guaranteed and its premise finally jarred loose something in all of the movies I've seen. One of the reasons behind Bird's "he reminds me of me" comment is probably because of one of his first big projects, Batteries Not Included, which was a movie Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, and Steven Spielberg produced. Which was in the same genre of light hearted fantasy drama as SNG. BoH is outright even more in that vein, movies that are meant to evoke Spielberg's 1980s style of family friendly fantasies like ET and The Goonies. It's not just the "white guys in baseball caps" crack, it's literally that Bird got his break from Spielberg writing something meant to evoke his movies and then in turn Bird gave Trevorrow a break after seeing something which reminded him (right down to the phrasing of the title) of his own Spielberg pastiche debut. The larger point is that Trevorrow's success coincides with a larger discussion about who gets opportunities and sponsorship within the entertainment industry, especially when it comes to directing.

It's entirely possible that KK and LF didn't even have a choice in his hiring. Given the financial success of JW Disney may have simply decided that he would do IX. Rian Johnson may have been the more 'risky' choice in the minds of executives because he's not a blockbuster director (which is why a lot of us are looking forward to TLJ). As with the "kiss/romance or not" discussions, it's at least it's worth setting expectations now. It's just too bad given the promise of these characters and stories, that they'd go for somebody who doesn't seem capable of writing the type of character arc and story for these characters that a lot of us have speculated would do justice to them.

@Darth Rowan - Maybe it's because they're besties and work together a lot, but I have this mental image already that Laura Dern's character in TLJ will turn out to be the "Tracy Flick in Space" type of character I thought should've been in the PT.


Last edited by snufkin on Mon 19 Jun - 1:00; edited 1 time in total
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 0:56

I'm still waiting for KK or someone else from LF to come out and make a statement of support.

While I don't think he'll be outright removed, the fact that we haven't heard anything from LF or anyone connected to LF seems a bit telling. Are there secret emergency meetings going on to figure out how to proceed? Or at least figuring out what to do from a damage control perspective. Because you can't tell me that there won't be damage control for this when they've exercised damage control for Todd Fisher apparently jumping the gun re: Carrie, and RomanceGate, among other things.

If they are standing behind CT, I really hope it's because he's written an amazing script for IX, not because they feel like they're stuck with him at this point. But please, come out and say that--give the fans some reason to have some confidence in this.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Mon 19 Jun - 1:04

@ISeeAnIsland - if we're alive in 40 years, maybe there will be a Ryan Murphy style miniseries a la Feud in which we learn the truth behind the production of the ST where everybody praises Rian Johnson's artistry and talents as a writer, versus the other guy who makes BO but gets no respect.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 19 Jun - 1:25

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:I'm still waiting for KK or someone else from LF to come out and make a statement of support.

While I don't think he'll be outright removed, the fact that we haven't heard anything from LF or anyone connected to LF seems a bit telling. Are there secret emergency meetings going on to figure out how to proceed? Or at least figuring out what to do from a damage control perspective. Because you can't tell me that there won't be damage control for this when they've exercised damage control for Todd Fisher apparently jumping the gun re: Carrie, and RomanceGate, among other things.

If they are standing behind CT, I really hope it's because he's written an amazing script for IX, not because they feel like they're stuck with him at this point. But please, come out and say that--give the fans some reason to have some confidence in this.
@ISeeAnIsland

Exactly.  That's why I posted that Film School Rejects essay upthread. The author talked about how the new franchise schedules which chart out movie directors and films several years out have presented a new and perhaps unforeseen problem, namely: What do you when your named director does a horrible movie between being assigned and the franchise release date? What do you do when you have sunken costs already? He actually linked a Harvard Business Review article on "when to let go" in terms of a business model.

The bad intervening movie causes a number of problems, but one I hadn't immediately considered was the issue of the press continuously bringing up the bad intervening movie in franchise movie press. So in this sense Book of Henry never goes away. BoH gets connected to SW in a very ugly way.

Disney actually has this issue with two directors now. The first is Guy Ritchie, who is slated to direct the live action Aladdin, but who just directed the big King Arthur flop. Will press members be constantly reminding him of his past failures while talking about Aladdin? I personally think Guy Ritchie is in better shape because he has a longer record and he has bounced back from failure before.  Also Aladdin is not SW. If it's bad it doesn't taint a whole 40 year saga.

Now Disney has this problem with Colin. Are they going to want him to be constantly fielding questions like, "After the disappointment with BoH and your short resume, what do you say to critics who say that you are not ready for SW?"

Also remember one of the cool things about Colin and GE is that they both had this Silicon Valley, wunderkind, young innovator thing going for them that LF could point to, to show how cutting edge they are. Godzilla wasn't great, but it didn't get that "worst movie of the decade" language.  Also, GE was directing the "experiment" SW. CT is touching the flagship saga.

In addition, no well was "poisoned" for GE prior to RO. So he got to keep his young filmmaker street cred. But IMO, BoH is a definitely "well poisoner". CT doesn't get to claim any aura of "young brilliance" after this.

And so like the essay said, Disney needs to decide what they need to do. When is it time to "let go" and move on. He believed that given their power in the industry that their decision will set a precedent for other studios.


Last edited by SoloSideCousin on Mon 19 Jun - 1:27; edited 1 time in total
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3921
Likes : 17893
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 1:26

@snufkin wrote:@ISeeAnIsland - if we're alive in 40 years, maybe there will be a Ryan Murphy style miniseries a la Feud in which we learn the truth behind the production of the ST where everybody praises Rian Johnson's artistry and talents as a writer, versus the other guy who makes BO but gets no respect.
@snufkin

Given that Billie Lourd has worked with Ryan Murphy, that wouldn't be too far fetched. (Although, who knows who the Ryan Murphy of the future will be.)
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum