Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Page 12 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Mon 19 Jun - 4:34

@ISeeAnIsland - she could end up playing her mother!
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 5:25

SoloSideCousin wrote:Here's an interesting blog article on this whole situation from Film School Rejects.  Apparently there is a similar situation with Guy Ritchie ... though obviously Ritchie has a stronger record.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/book-of-henry-hollywoods-sunk-costs/

Also this is a tweet from a Buzzfeed critic and some commentary that was referenced in the blog post:

https://twitter.com/adambvary/status/875440667559731200
@SoloSideCousin

After having been busy most of the day, I finally had a chance to read the Film School Rejects article.

Honestly, it makes sense to me that KK & LF should be looking at this from a business perspective. There have to be number crunchers somewhere figuring out how much it would cost Disney to let CT go at this point versus the rest of the spectrum of scenarios (keeping him, but bringing in other people, pushing out the release date, etc.)

I know that's what my company does when we've got a project that's less successful than hoped for....or heck, more of an equivalent--isn't beta testing well, or whatever. We cut bait and cancel projects/products at a certain point, if it doesn't make sense to keep them going from a financial standpoint.

Of course, this is all moot if CT has written an amazing script. If he's written an amazing script, you go with that, and you support him and keep an eye on him to keep his directorial choices/judgment in line. But, if this were the case, I'd be expecting a statement from KK any day now to this effect.

One interesting thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that Edgar Wright answered coyly recently when asked about directing a Star Wars movie: Edgar Wright - CNet interview. A lot of people have been assuming that this was to direct an upcoming spinoff movie. But *puts on tinfoil hat*, what if it were related to Episode IX, and it's just not something that he can publicly announce yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Mon 19 Jun - 5:28

They should replace Treverrow and recast Leia. IMO.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 19 Jun - 7:13

Kessel wrote:
Kyla Ren wrote:
Actually, on the way home from the movie last night, the friend I went to see it with (who is also a Reylo) and I were discussing why CT would want to direct BoH.  My friend suggested that maybe it was because he wanted to do something bold.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe he's right.  Could that also be part of the reason that Disney/LF chose CT for Episode IX?  Because for some people, Reylo might be controversial and maybe CT wouldn't be worried about that.  Maybe he'll just forge ahead and give us the epic Reylo romance we're hoping for.   I don't know.  Just a thought.  I'm just trying to figure out what Disney/LF's thinking was when they hired him.  I mean, a large part of their decision might very well have been because of the huge success of Jurassic World, but I wonder if there were other reasons.  Because I know they're in it to make money, but I would hope that they also care about making a really good (hopefully great) film to end the sequel trilogy.
@Kyla Ren

Frankly, I think it was Jurassic World (which was almost guaranteed to make money) and Colin's connections (he had directors like Brad Byrd vouch for him to KK). I don't think it was because of his unique creativity or talent creating engaging characters, scenarios or dialogue.

Honestly, the idea of Colin perhaps developing Reylo frightens me. I don't have confidence he has what it takes to develop such a compelling story and characters. I'm not saying I know for a fact he couldn't do it, but nothing I've seen from him assures me he definitely could.
@Kessel

You might be right.  I don't know.  But hopefully if he starts to take things in the wrong direction there will be other people to reel him in and get things back on track.

At this point, I think I'll be kind of worried no matter who they get to develop Reylo.  I mean, with all of the gates we've had lately, my faith in the ST in general has been shaken a little bit.  I haven't lost faith entirely, but it just seems that some of the storylines in the ST might not be as well planned out as I originally thought they were.  My head is still spinning from everything that has happened in the past few weeks.  Hopefully, everything will ultimately work out and we will get a great story and an epic Reylo romance.  I think that is a definite possibility.  But I would be lying if I said that I wasn't at least a bit worried.
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 19 Jun - 7:18

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Kyla Ren wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
Kyla Ren wrote:I saw a late showing of The Book of Henry last night.  It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was certainly far from the best.  And it was only an hour and 45 minutes long, but to me it seemed much longer.

Anyway, I would blame the movie’s shortcomings on the story itself more than the director.   The plot was just kind of bizarre.  That's probably not really the right word for it, but at the moment I can't really think of another one.  But in any case, I guess maybe the question for me is why CT would want to direct this particular film.

At the moment I'm not sure what to think of CT directing Episode IX.  So far I've only seen three of his movies:  Jurassic World, Home Base, and The Book of Henry.  I remember almost nothing about Jurassic World.  I thought it was very mediocre and forgettable.  Home Base was more memorable, but probably not for the best reasons.  And The Book of Henry was just bizarre, in my opinion.  I still want to see Safety Not Guaranteed.  That’s supposed to be pretty good and there’s a romance in it.  I guess I’ll see what I think after I see that.
@Kyla Ren

Safety Not Guaranteed is probably THE reason why I'm holding a tiny, miniscule bit of hope for Colin.  I wrote a short review on it in this same thread which I think is now long buried by TrevorrowGate, but anyway...

It's absolutely fabulous.  Even without the Reylo parallels (which there are many), it's a great film on its own.  
@IoJovi

I just went back and found your review about SNG, as well as some reviews from other members here (there are a few on page 2 of this thread if anyone wants to go back and read them) and I do feel better now. Smile  Maybe unconventional romances are CT's wheelhouse.  Maybe that's partly why they chose him to direct Episode IX.

Actually, on the way home from the movie last night, the friend I went to see it with (who is also a Reylo) and I were discussing why CT would want to direct BoH.  My friend suggested that maybe it was because he wanted to do something bold.  I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe he's right.  Could that also be part of the reason that Disney/LF chose CT for Episode IX?  Because for some people, Reylo might be controversial and maybe CT wouldn't be worried about that.  Maybe he'll just forge ahead and give us the epic Reylo romance we're hoping for.   I don't know.  Just a thought.  I'm just trying to figure out what Disney/LF's thinking was when they hired him.  I mean, a large part of their decision might very well have been because of the huge success of Jurassic World, but I wonder if there were other reasons.  Because I know they're in it to make money, but I would hope that they also care about making a really good (hopefully great) film to end the sequel trilogy.
@Kyla Ren

I hope that if and when Rey and Kylo's dynamic turns romantic, it won't feel controversial to anyone. They have to get the general audience on board with the idea, including those who didn't pick up anything from TFA. Rian's going to have to do the heavy lifting on this IMO.
@Cowgirlsamurai

I hope so, too, but I kind of think that there will still be certain corners of the fandom who won't accept a Reylo romance.  And they're entitled to feel the way they feel.  I just hope that they're able to get most of the GA on board with Reylo and also with Kylo's redemption.  I guess ultimately we'll just have to wait and see.
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 19 Jun - 16:07

This list of Colin Trevorrow's top ten movies is pretty decent. I LOVE The Lives of Others and I'm pretty fond of The Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind and Annie Hall. Cinema Paradiso and Double Indemnity are classics.

I'm not sure this list adds any confidence regarding his seeming problem with female characters, though. Annie Hall and Clementine (TESOTSM) are basically manic pixie dream girls. The other female character in that movie is basically used and abused by her boss after having an affair with her and wiping her memories of it. I love Back To The Future but Marty's mother, sister and girlfriend are painfully stereotyped and shunted aside in favour of the male characters. The mother in The Manchurian Candidate is a manipulative monster! And then there's Phyllis Dietrichson in Double Indemnity... I havent seen Tampopo or Small Change so I can't comment on them. Anyway, some great movies all the same.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 16:40

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

This list of Colin Trevorrow's top ten movies is pretty decent. I LOVE The Lives of Others and I'm pretty fond of The Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind and Annie Hall. Cinema Paradiso and Double Indemnity are classics.

I'm not sure this list adds any confidence regarding his seeming problem with female characters, though. Annie Hall and Clementine (TESOTSM) are basically manic pixie dream girls. The other female character in that movie is basically used and abused by her boss after having an affair with her and wiping her memories of it. I love Back To The Future but Marty's mother, sister and girlfriend are painfully stereotyped and shunted aside in favour of the male characters. The mother in The Manchurian Candidate is a manipulative monster! And then there's Phyllis Dietrichson in Double Indemnity... I havent seen Tampopo or Small Change so I can't comment on them. Anyway, some great movies all the same.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Interesting timing. My husband and I got into a big discussion last night on whether Clementine from Eternal Sunshine is actually a MPDG or whether she subverts the trope. We wound up coming to the consensus that she's certainly introduced as a MPDG, but that she ultimately subverts the trope, in our opinions.

(And no, we don't just sit around talking about movie tropes after our daughter is in bed...this was more of an offshoot of an earlier discussion about something else.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Mon 19 Jun - 16:56

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

Interesting timing. My husband and I got into a big discussion last night on whether Clementine from Eternal Sunshine is actually a MPDG or whether she subverts the trope. We wound up coming to the consensus that she's certainly introduced as a MPDG, but that she ultimately subverts the trope, in our opinions.

(And no, we don't just sit around talking about movie tropes after our daughter is in bed...this was more of an offshoot of an earlier discussion about something else.)
@ISeeAnIsland

Perhaps I was being too critical. It could be argued that both Clementine and Annie Hall end their respective movies as being more than MPDG as both do want to pursue happiness for themselves rather for the men they've been involved with.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 19 Jun - 17:40

They're all good movies, but eh that's a pretty uninspired list.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Mon 19 Jun - 18:49

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 19 Jun - 18:56

I don't care about a number of those, but I'm not going to armchair film critic it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 19:25

Darth_Awakened wrote:I don't know if it's a right thread, but I'll post it over here any way:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/06/colin-trevorrow-asked-rian-johnson-to-add-a-scene-to-star-wars-the-last-jedi.html
@Darth_Awakened

Nice find. I'm going to cross-post this over in the spoiler thread, where hopefully, it'll get a little more discussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Mon 19 Jun - 21:41

I love Double Indemnity, The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Annie Hall, and IMO they all have some fantastic female characters (Clementine is one of my favourite Kate Winslet roles). I don't think that either Annie or Clementine are manic pixie girls; Annie eventually moves on beyond her boyfriend and Clementine outright rejects that role in the movie, in her own words.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 20 Jun - 15:57

It's a pile-on at this point with the negative reviews, but this one made me LOL pretty hard

There came a point in The Book of Henry where I began to wonder if Trevorrow and Hurwitz weren't playing some clever trick on the audience, and that their film was perhaps a slyly smart updating of The Searchers, with an antihero determined to save someone who may not actually want saving. Such speculation was fuelled by the film's ambiguous attitude to Christina, a character everyone is obsessed with rescuing, yet nobody thinks to ask her if anything untoward is occurring.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Tue 20 Jun - 19:27

BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 20 Jun - 19:30

BigDeal2187 wrote:For what it's worth:

Source: https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/877244811119427589
@BigDeal2187

Well, there's the damage control. After everything that happened, that's very sweet of Mark.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 20 Jun - 19:31

Irina de France wrote:

@BigDeal2187

Well, there's the damage control. After everything that happened, that's very sweet of Mark.
@Irina de France

Regardless of what everyone says about the film itself, Mark is a doll, and always has been...

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 21 Jun - 4:48

Lord and Miller firing announcement is definitely timed to take heat off CT.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 21 Jun - 5:56

Something that worries me - and I commented on it on starwarsnonsense's excellent Journal of the Star Wars - is I hope LF don't go in the same direction of the Marvel comics movies. Their treatment of female characters hasn't been very good of late, with the exception of the Captain America movies, who have the Russo brothers as their directors.Thor 2 was a particularly bad example; Natalie Portman's treatment was appalling, especially as rumour has it, it was because she objected to the sacking of Patty Jenkins as director.
On another forum I was horrified to read comments from young male fans delighting in this,claiming 'girlfriends should be in the trashcan where they belong'. Together with comments on youtube from other young males, such as 'all females who like Star Wars are lesbians' (bizarrely they see that as an insult)and I'm concerned that LF might try to 'remodel' the ST in order to appeal more to college frat boys.
As Gwendoline Christie said: 'Star Wars is for everybody.'
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 21 Jun - 6:00

motherofpearl1 wrote:Something that worries me - and I commented on it on starwarsnonsense's excellent Journal of the Star Wars - is I hope LF don't go in the same direction of the Marvel comics movies. Their treatment of female characters hasn't been very good of late, with the exception of the Captain America movies, who have the Russo brothers as their directors.Thor 2 was a particularly bad example; Natalie Portman's treatment was appalling, especially as rumour has it, it was because she objected to the sacking of Patty Jenkins as director.
On another forum I was horrified to read comments from young male fans delighting in this,claiming 'girlfriends should be in the trashcan where they belong'. Together with comments on youtube from other young males, such as 'all females who like Star Wars are lesbians' (bizarrely they see that as an insult)and I'm concerned that LF might try to 'remodel' the ST in order to appeal more to college frat boys.
@motherofpearl1

Black Widow is a horrid character, Russos or not. She's everything that's wrong with generic strong woman cliche - unlikable, cold, unsympathetic, uncompassionate, always putting everyone down, being more powerful than characters with actual powers, whining about her past yet still killing 50 at once, etc. The anti-thesis of Wonder Woman.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Wed 21 Jun - 6:43

Can't stand Eternal Sunshine. I have my artistic reservations about it. But it hit too close to home at the time.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 21 Jun - 7:59

vaderito wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:Something that worries me - and I commented on it on starwarsnonsense's excellent Journal of the Star Wars - is I hope LF don't go in the same direction of the Marvel comics movies. Their treatment of female characters hasn't been very good of late, with the exception of the Captain America movies, who have the Russo brothers as their directors.Thor 2 was a particularly bad example; Natalie Portman's treatment was appalling, especially as rumour has it, it was because she objected to the sacking of Patty Jenkins as director.
@motherofpearl1

Black Widow is a horrid character, Russos or not. She's everything that's wrong with generic strong woman cliche - unlikable, cold, unsympathetic, uncompassionate, always putting everyone down, being more powerful than characters with actual powers, whining about her past yet still killing 50 at once, etc. The anti-thesis of Wonder Woman.
@vaderito

I'm not a fan either to be honest, but I found her at her most likeable in Winter Soldier, and I also liked Scarlet Witch in Civil War - despite hating her in the comics.
BW actually had a tragic backstory but unfortunately they've never shown much of it in the films; I actually think Marvel seem to like 'bromance' to the extent of shutting the females out entirely.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 21 Jun - 8:02

Kylo Men wrote:Can't stand Eternal Sunshine. I have my artistic reservations about it. But it hit too close to home at the time.
@Kylo Men

Neither do I but I think it's because I just 'don't get it'. Embarassed
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 21 Jun - 8:03

IoJovi wrote:
Irina de France wrote:

@BigDeal2187

@Irina de France

Regardless of what everyone says about the film itself, Mark is a doll, and always has been...
@IoJovi

Yes, he's amazing!
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Wed 21 Jun - 16:10

@BigDeal2187

Wow, that is some damage control. They chose the trustworthiest person among fans, Mark Hamil. His wording looks so scripted, like he copy-pasted a text sent to him from KK or TPTB lol.

Wise to have him be the one to give a vote of confidence. Mark is beloved by all and his opinion matters to fans. Wonder if he even saw the movie lol.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum