Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Tex on Wed 21 Jun - 19:03

@vaderito wrote:Lord and Miller firing announcement is definitely timed to take heat off CT.
@vaderito

And here we thought CT was in hot water. Little did we know that LF was ready to kick Lord and Miller to the curb. What a turn of events. Shocked  I'm finding all the "Han Solo Film is cursed" stuff on Tumblr hilarious. Personally, This film wasn't really something I wanted to begin with. It seemed like it was catering to a very specific section of the fan base.
avatar
Tex
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 146
Likes : 848
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 21 Jun - 21:54

You know it's funny ... Today I have a free day because my child is with my MIL and my clients did not present any dramas to me this morning, so I thought about going to the movies after a doctor's appointment. So I went to fandango, which shows all the RT scores, and tbh BoH was not the worst rated one out there. Two major movies were in worse shape. Transformers had 14% and The Mummy had 15%. The Mummy has freaking Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe in it. Further, they were showing BoH at some of the local art theaters. All of a sudden cheap little BoH looked like no problem compared to the disastrous behemoths that are Transformers and Mummy.

Honestly, there is something seriously wrong with the big business of movies today. I remember summers where there were lots of movies worth seeing and now there are like 3 worth paying for at the multiplex.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3012
Likes : 13011
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Tex on Wed 21 Jun - 22:05

@SoloSideCousin wrote:You know it's funny ... Today I have a free day because my child is with my MIL and my clients did not present any dramas to me this morning, so I thought about going to the movies after a doctor's appointment. So I went to fandango, which shows all the RT scores, and tbh BoH was not the worst rated one out there. Two major movies were in worse shape. Transformers had 14% and The Mummy had 15%. The Mummy has freaking Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe in it. Further,  they were showing BoH at some of the local art theaters. All of a sudden cheap little BoH looked like no problem compared to the disastrous behemoths that are Transformers and Mummy.

Honestly,  there is something seriously wrong with the big business of movies today. I  remember summers where there were lots of movies worth seeing  and now there are like 3 worth paying for at the multiplex.
@SoloSideCousin

Stay safe out there! It's a true summer movie dumpster fire. If only TLJ had come out this summer we wouldn't be pulling our hair out.

avatar
Tex
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 146
Likes : 848
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Jun - 4:57

It feels like a pile on at this point, but Esquire's review kicks off that "I feel like I've been mugged by a Decemberists song," which is pretty f**king hilarious.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5087
Likes : 21485
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by vaderito on Thu 22 Jun - 5:37

@Tex wrote:

And here we thought CT was in hot water. Little did we know that LF was ready to kick Lord and Miller to the curb. What a turn of events. Shocked  I'm finding all the "Han Solo Film is cursed" stuff on Tumblr hilarious. Personally, This film wasn't really something I wanted to begin with. It seemed like it was catering to a very specific section of the fan base.
@Tex

Exactly. Bad reviews blow over soon enough (already) but directors who won't cooperate with the scribe and the producer don't. That's what stops the production, not whether unrelated movie has under 20% at RT.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7083
Likes : 33769
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by vaderito on Sat 24 Jun - 13:04

BTW, Hidden Figures has more running in heels than anything in JW. All those progressive uber-smart NASA heroines run in their heels again and again and again. Especially Katherine. 

Point is, women do run in heels, nothing unusual, regressive, etc.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7083
Likes : 33769
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Sat 24 Jun - 15:07

The problem with the female characters in Jurassic World wasn't about Claire running in heels. Lots of women choose to dress that way and Claire wasn't looking to get stuck into the flora and fauna like Ellie Satler. The regressive part was all the crap about her needing to get in touch with her maternal side and get together with Owen. None of the other female characters fared much better, except maybe the one in the control centre who got to tell her male colleague she already had a boyfriend when he made a move on her.

Anyway, Jurassic World is on Netflix UK now so I'm going to rewatch it and see if it's as awful as I remember.

ETA - Colin Trevorrow was on the Empire Movie Magazine podcast https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/878304901004226562 He speaks in a heartfelt way about the criticism Book of Henry recieved.
avatar
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1717
Likes : 11776
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 24 Jun - 16:12

@SoloSideCousin wrote:You know it's funny ... Today I have a free day because my child is with my MIL and my clients did not present any dramas to me this morning, so I thought about going to the movies after a doctor's appointment. So I went to fandango, which shows all the RT scores, and tbh BoH was not the worst rated one out there. Two major movies were in worse shape. Transformers had 14% and The Mummy had 15%. The Mummy has freaking Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe in it. Further, they were showing BoH at some of the local art theaters. All of a sudden cheap little BoH looked like no problem compared to the disastrous behemoths that are Transformers and Mummy.

Honestly, there is something seriously wrong with the big business of movies today. I remember summers where there were lots of movies worth seeing and now there are like 3 worth paying for at the multiplex.
@SoloSideCousin

I'm disappointed that the Mummy is apparently no good; I liked the trailers. Loved Dead Men Tell No Tales, mixed reviews or not, but I'm a fan of the Pirates franchise anyway!
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1690
Likes : 6895
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Tex on Sat 24 Jun - 21:05

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:The problem with the female characters in Jurassic World wasn't about Claire running in heels. Lots of women choose to dress that way and Claire wasn't looking to get stuck into the flora and fauna like Ellie Satler. The regressive part was all the crap about her needing to get in touch with her maternal side and get together with Owen. None of the other female characters fared much better, except maybe the one in the control centre who got to tell her male colleague she already had a boyfriend when he made a move on her.

Anyway, Jurassic World is on Netflix UK now so I'm going to rewatch it and see if it's as awful as I remember.

ETA - Colin Trevorrow was on the Empire Movie Magazine podcast https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/878304901004226562 He speaks in a heartfelt way about the criticism Book of Henry recieved.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Speaking of this. I'm hiding the below in case some people haven't seen the movie.

avatar
Tex
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 146
Likes : 848
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by AceofWands on Sat 24 Jun - 21:16

@vaderito wrote:BTW, Hidden Figures has more running in heels than anything in JW. All those progressive uber-smart NASA heroines run in their heels again and again and again. Especially Katherine. 

Point is, women do run in heels, nothing unusual, regressive, etc.
@vaderito

The hills are actually the least of JW's problems. It's actually a pity that the discussion centered on that. It just dilutes the issue and gets silly.

Same thing with Colin Trevorrow. It's a pity that the discussion turns to the lack of women directors. Being a man is not CT's fault, and is certainly not why people don't want him.

That said, some mediocre or bad directors, and creators, sometimes have a spur of brilliance. Maybe that will be the case with Episode IX. Otherwise, I'm sure it will be garbage. And yeah, "Disney will intervene" does not solve the issue. Movies made by committee are lackluster.

OTOH, Han's movie sets up a precedent!  Very Happy  And I even wonder if the announcement to replace the directors was not rushed due to Colingate, as a way to reassure fans that they have their eyes on the franchise, and if a director messes up, they will do something.

As to BOH... Well, it's a movie that basically infantilizes a grown woman and portrays her as incapable of living without a man. CT didn't write it, but he chose to direct it. He wasn't given the script by a studio. This script must have spoken to him on a personal level... I don't even want to think what level.

From my part, I'll wait and see the movie, but I have a hard time imagining me being excited for a movie directed by Colin Trevorrow.

But of course, complaining makes no difference.

@Tex, it didn't disturb me when I watched it, but I thought it was pointless. Frankly, in that movie there are so many deaths that I wasn't emotionally involved with any danger, and being not emotionally involved, it came out as sort of goofy and ridiculous. But then, perhaps it is goofy and ridiculous making fun of the woman?



avatar
AceofWands
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 378
Likes : 1231
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-12
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Millicent the Cat on Sat 24 Jun - 22:30

@Tex wrote:Speaking of this. I'm hiding the below in case some people haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler:
Was anyone else disturbed by the graphic maiming of the self-absorbed nanny/ female assistant character that did a poor job of watching the kids? Goes along with the strange theme of punishing women for being bad mothers.

@Tex

Spoiler:
In an interview, Colin starts to say that the character 'earned' that death by being a bridezilla, then he does a sort of 180 in the middle of his statement and instead says something about 'subverting' tropes by having the death be completely undeserved. My personal take is that the death was a revenge fantasy against women who aren't attentive to children, but then he realized that most people aren't gonna see it that way so he backpedaled.
avatar
Millicent the Cat
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 27
Likes : 157
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-28
Localisation : In Kylo's ashtray.

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by AceofWands on Sat 24 Jun - 22:43

@Millicent the Cat wrote:
@Tex wrote:Speaking of this. I'm hiding the below in case some people haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler:
Was anyone else disturbed by the graphic maiming of the self-absorbed nanny/ female assistant character that did a poor job of watching the kids? Goes along with the strange theme of punishing women for being bad mothers.

@Tex

Spoiler:
In an interview, Colin starts to say that the character 'earned' that death by being a bridezilla, then he does a sort of 180 in the middle of his statement and instead says something about 'subverting' tropes by having the death be completely undeserved. My personal take is that the death was a revenge fantasy against women who aren't attentive to children, but then he realized that most people aren't gonna see it that way so he backpedaled.
@Millicent the Cat

Either way it's bad. Punishment for that is... uh... no words for that.

Subverting tropes? Uh, not really. There are expectations and conventions that you can't just ignore. Brutal deaths are deserved in this type of movie. The audience knows that and feels that. Innocent people dying is horrific and other characters and the situation should horrify the viewers. That's how you hook your audiences emotionally. That's why I thought it was just stupid and pointless.

At the end of the day, whether it's a noob "subverting tropes" idea or a very, very childish "let's take revenge on woman", it comes out as silly and immature, from a director who doesn't have mileage to gauge how to set up his movie in order to get an emotional response.

Not everyone dislikes JW, but I haven't heard a single person saying they were, at any moment afraid or on the edge of their seats. I think the movie is not horrible because Chris Pratt is super charismatic and it's enjoyable to see him on screen.
avatar
AceofWands
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 378
Likes : 1231
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-12
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Saracene on Sat 24 Jun - 22:52

I'm pretty certain that if that character was a male instead, absolutely no one would have batted an eye at his death or felt disturbed.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1258
Likes : 7430
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 37
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 24 Jun - 23:53

@Millicent the Cat wrote:
@Tex wrote:Speaking of this. I'm hiding the below in case some people haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler:
Was anyone else disturbed by the graphic maiming of the self-absorbed nanny/ female assistant character that did a poor job of watching the kids? Goes along with the strange theme of punishing women for being bad mothers.

@Tex

Spoiler:
In an interview, Colin starts to say that the character 'earned' that death by being a bridezilla, then he does a sort of 180 in the middle of his statement and instead says something about 'subverting' tropes by having the death be completely undeserved. My personal take is that the death was a revenge fantasy against women who aren't attentive to children, but then he realized that most people aren't gonna see it that way so he backpedaled.
@Millicent the Cat

If it really is...

Spoiler:
...a revenge fantasy against women who aren't attentive to children... then that could be a really bad sign for what he'd do with Leia's character...

_________________
Hoping Rey is "riding solo" for the ST...
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Moderator

Messages : 3767
Likes : 19371
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Sat 24 Jun - 23:56

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Millicent the Cat wrote:
@Tex wrote:Speaking of this. I'm hiding the below in case some people haven't seen the movie.

Spoiler:
Was anyone else disturbed by the graphic maiming of the self-absorbed nanny/ female assistant character that did a poor job of watching the kids? Goes along with the strange theme of punishing women for being bad mothers.

@Tex

Spoiler:
In an interview, Colin starts to say that the character 'earned' that death by being a bridezilla, then he does a sort of 180 in the middle of his statement and instead says something about 'subverting' tropes by having the death be completely undeserved. My personal take is that the death was a revenge fantasy against women who aren't attentive to children, but then he realized that most people aren't gonna see it that way so he backpedaled.
@Millicent the Cat

If it really is...

Spoiler:
...a revenge fantasy against women who aren't attentive to children... then that could be a really bad sign for what he'd do with Leia's character...
@ISeeAnIsland

That is all kinds of awful. Sad

Ugh.


_________________
"By the grace of your training, I will not be seduced."

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 5141
Likes : 27790
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 100
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Tex on Sun 25 Jun - 2:50

@Saracene wrote:I'm pretty certain that if that character was a male instead, absolutely no one would have batted an eye at his death or felt disturbed.
@Saracene

That's very possible. It could have been the movie crowd I was with too. I recall a lot of people laughing joyfully as if she had gotten what she deserved. Then I again I'm not big on horror films. I don't find senseless killing humorous.
avatar
Tex
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 146
Likes : 848
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Tex on Sun 25 Jun - 3:11

@AceofWands wrote:
@vaderito wrote:BTW, Hidden Figures has more running in heels than anything in JW. All those progressive uber-smart NASA heroines run in their heels again and again and again. Especially Katherine. 

Point is, women do run in heels, nothing unusual, regressive, etc.
@vaderito

The hills are actually the least of JW's problems. It's actually a pity that the discussion centered on that. It just dilutes the issue and gets silly.

Same thing with Colin Trevorrow. It's a pity that the discussion turns to the lack of women directors. Being a man is not CT's fault, and is certainly not why people don't want him.

That said, some mediocre or bad directors, and creators, sometimes have a spur of brilliance. Maybe that will be the case with Episode IX. Otherwise, I'm sure it will be garbage. And yeah, "Disney will intervene" does not solve the issue. Movies made by committee are lackluster.

OTOH, Han's movie sets up a precedent!  Very Happy  And I even wonder if the announcement to replace the directors was not rushed due to Colingate, as a way to reassure fans that they have their eyes on the franchise, and if a director messes up, they will do something.

As to BOH... Well, it's a movie that basically infantilizes a grown woman and portrays her as incapable of living without a man. CT didn't write it, but he chose to direct it. He wasn't given the script by a studio. This script must have spoken to him on a personal level... I don't even want to think what level.

From my part, I'll wait and see the movie, but I have a hard time imagining me being excited for a movie directed by Colin Trevorrow.

But of course, complaining makes no difference.

@Tex, it didn't disturb me when I watched it, but I thought it was pointless. Frankly, in that movie there are so many deaths that I wasn't emotionally involved with any danger, and being not emotionally involved, it came out as sort of goofy and ridiculous. But then, perhaps it is goofy and ridiculous making fun of the woman?



@AceofWands

So there seems to be some running themes in CT's movies. Or maybe I should say strong views on women's roles? So far we've seen multiple scenarios with revenge against women, women being punished for going against there "maternal mandate" and shows women being incapable with out a man. Confus

Also the bold above made me laugh. It does make you wonder. I hope in Kylo's road to redemption he doesn't steal the movie away from Rey.
avatar
Tex
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 146
Likes : 848
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by Armadeus on Sun 25 Jun - 6:23

When it comes to Jurassic World, Claire is actually my favourite character in that movie. My problem is with how everyone else in this movie treats her. I mean, she's just doing her job, which is running Jurassic World... and somehow this is... wrong? I don't know...

I've said this before, but the scene I cringe at the most is when the mother of the kids just bursts into tears when she finds out Claire isn't spending enough time with them. It might seem like a small thing, but it leaves me frustrated and angry beyond all conceivable measure.

I can't tell if the people in this film are insane... or just plain stupid.

Then again, I can't get too mad, since I don't think Jurassic World's characters are the most stupid/frustrating people in the franchise. The Lost World retains that crown.
avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1031
Likes : 2839
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Sun 25 Jun - 16:14

@Armadeus wrote:
I've said this before, but the scene I cringe at the most is when the mother of the kids just bursts into tears when she finds out Claire isn't spending enough time with them. It might seem like a small thing, but it leaves me frustrated

That's been brought up before about the whole "you're a bad aunt" business because the big shocker for the next movie may be how badly Luke screwed up when entrusted with his sister's kid.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5087
Likes : 21485
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum