Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by IoJovi on Tue 1 Aug - 21:52

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:National Treasure...? Not a fan pale
@Cowgirlsamurai

I saw that too. Laughing

It's an okay popcorn movie (not terrible), but not something that I'd consider on the Reylo level of epic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Tue 1 Aug - 21:55

IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

I saw that too. Laughing

It's an okay popcorn movie (not terrible), but not something that I'd consider on the Reylo level of epic.
@IoJovi

It wasn't the movie National Treasure, it was this miniseries for British TV https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Treasure_(TV_series)
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 1 Aug - 21:57

Interesting news about the new writer. I'm guessing Episode IX is not going to be the (apparently) smooth sailing that TLJ is.

Colin Trevorrow seems to be ok with actors, but I still wish they hired someone who can deliver with acting *and* visual flair. JW was pretty uninspiring in that regard IMO. Still better than the reverse though, *cough* Gareth Edwards *cough*.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 1 Aug - 21:57

IoJovi wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
IoJovi wrote:I wonder exactly how bad that rough draft was in order for them to take this step?  Sadly, it'll probably never see the light of day, but I'm extremely curious as to what it looked like...

I'm sure it's more than just the rough draft (the Book of Henry fiasco didn't help matters), but still. I'd love to get my hands on it one day.
@IoJovi

The official word is that Jack Thorne is rewriting a draft by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly. But as you say, that draft will likely never see the light of day so we won't know how much it survives into the final script.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Yeah, I reread the article and you're right. It sounds like they're not throwing the rough draft out completely but they're tightening things up. To what extent I'm sure we'll never know... Shocked

What's interesting is the article mentioned potential rewrites for VIII, but unless they do reshoots this late in the game, I see that as unlikely. I know RJ said he expects to completely wrap up with post production this month.
@IoJovi

I can't imagine them doing reshoots at this point, if Rian expects to be completely finished this month.

BTW--they must have kept the reshoots VERY under wraps and/or they must not have been extensive, given that we heard nothing about them. I know there was speculation that reshoots were going on in March when it seemed like a handful of the cast was in London, but that's it.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 1 Aug - 22:01

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

I saw that too. Laughing

@IoJovi

It wasn't the movie National Treasure, it was this miniseries for British TV https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Treasure_(TV_series)
@Mrs Ben Solo

Good to know. Very Happy

I haven't seen it, but knowing it's not THAT movie makes me feel a bit better.

@ISeeAnIsland I can't imagine them doing reshoots for VIII this late in the game. I'm reading Twitter now, and apparently that article is indeed a bit of a mess. Since signing up for this fandom my faith in journalism is fading quickly. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 1 Aug - 22:04

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

I saw that too. Laughing

@IoJovi

@Mrs Ben Solo

Thanks! Razz Then I don't really have anything to base the new guy on. Uneasy feeling, gone (for now!) Still wish Rian had something to do with Episode 9...
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Tue 1 Aug - 22:16

I am still worried though, with all the writers out there why hire a BBC TV show writer? I mean, doesn´t KK  have a pool of candidates to choose from for a SW movie? I just don´t get this peculiar choice. Sigh.. Neutral

Like, why go from people like JJ and Rian to a somewhat unknown writer like this guy? scratch At this point, I would prefer them to  go back to JJ and Larry JMHO. At least it would have closure and continuity. But what do I know? study

Last edited by tukicarreno on Tue 1 Aug - 22:30; edited 1 time in total

tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 1 Aug - 22:22

Yeah, as I said, that guy would not be my first choice, so I do admit I wonder why they chose him specifically...
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 1 Aug - 22:24

Irina de France wrote:Yeah, as I said, that guy would not be my first choice, so I do admit I wonder why they chose him specifically...
@Irina de France

He's not a big-name writer so he'll toe the line and do what he's told?
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Tue 1 Aug - 22:27

tukicarreno wrote:I am still worried though, with all the writers out there why hire a BBC TV show writer? I mean, doesn´t KK  have a pool of candidates to choose from for a SW movie? I just don´t get this peculiar choice. Sigh.. Neutral

Like, why go from people like JJ and Rian to a somewhat unknown writer like this guy? scratch At this point, I would prefer them to  go back to JJ and Larry at this JMHO. At least it would have closure and continuity. But what do I know? study
@tukicarreno

He has mainly written stuff for British TV but his list of credits is impressive https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thorne Plus, he's a BAFTA winner. I'm cautiously optimistic, having feared the worst from Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly. It's not as if he won't have Lucasfilm and its resources behind him making sure he knows what's what.

ETA - For what it's worth, Lucasfilm have previously collaborated with other well regarded writers mostly known for acclaimed British TV shows, including Matthew Graham (co-writer of the British version of Life on Mars) and Chris Chibnall, the incoming showrunner of Doctor Who and writer of Broadchurch.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Tue 1 Aug - 22:41

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

I can't imagine them doing reshoots at this point, if Rian expects to be completely finished this month.

BTW--they must have kept the reshoots VERY under wraps and/or they must not have been extensive, given that we heard nothing about them. I know there was speculation that reshoots were going on in March when it seemed like a handful of the cast was in London, but that's it.
@ISeeAnIsland

cuz Rian nailed it the 1st time around!!!
SheLitAFire
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 1 Aug - 22:55

Obvs I'm a huge Kasdan stan, so I'd love it if he came back. History is that he got asked to re-write ESB 6 weeks before they were scheduled to start shooting because Leigh Brackett died unexpectedly while in treatment for cancer. So people have pulled off iconic re-writes with less lead time.

As for Thorne, he's already worked with Boyega on Woyzeck. Which got very good reviews, so that's part of why I take the comments of unhappy Harry Potter fans with a big grain of salt. As for being a TV writer, Johnson was hired on the heels of his work on Breaking Bad, plus given some of the casting choices/people who were considered for Finn, the creative team are pretty faithful prestige TV viewers. If anything, writing for the BBC probably added weight to his resume.

I mean, we'll see as Kylo likes to say. But from the UK community members here, it sounds promising. And being involved with His Dark Materials is very exciting. If he has a good handle on Pullman's book, Lyra's character, and the dust/Daemon themes and is able to write those well for the screen, that bodes very well for what he can write for Rey's journey as the central heroine and the overall Force plot/themes.

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 1 Aug - 23:07; edited 2 times in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 1 Aug - 22:58

I haven't read Cursed Child, although I know that it wasn't particularly well received. Out of curiosity, I looked it up on Wikipedia and found the synopsis interesting, particularly given the themes that seem to be emerging for the ST:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Cursed_Child

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Perhaps even more interesting... Here's that time travel/alternate timeline plot device again (which seems to be a common thread in previous works for JJ, RJ, and CT):

spoiler:

Knowing that Cedric's death was the result of him winning the Triwizard Tournament alongside Harry, the boys use the Time Turner to travel back to the first challenge of the Triwizard Tournament in 1995, and sabotage Cedric during the tournament's first task in the hope of preventing his victory. Instead, they only succeed in creating an alternate reality in which Albus was sorted into Gryffindor, and Ron Weasley and Hermione never got together, and thus Rose was never born.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Tue 1 Aug - 23:17

ISeeAnIsland wrote:I haven't read Cursed Child, although I know that it wasn't particularly well received. Out of curiosity, I looked it up on Wikipedia and found the synopsis interesting, particularly given the themes that seem to be emerging for the ST:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Cursed_Child

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Perhaps even more interesting...  Here's that time travel/alternate timeline plot device again (which seems to be a common thread in previous works for JJ, RJ, and CT):

spoiler:

Knowing that Cedric's death was the result of him winning the Triwizard Tournament alongside Harry, the boys use the Time Turner to travel back to the first challenge of the Triwizard Tournament in 1995, and sabotage Cedric during the tournament's first task in the hope of preventing his victory. Instead, they only succeed in creating an alternate reality in which Albus was sorted into Gryffindor, and Ron Weasley and Hermione never got together, and thus Rose was never born.
@ISeeAnIsland

The father/son aspect of it is also very interesting as it's not a million miles away from some of what we imagine about Ben Solo...

Spoiler:
Albus makes an unlikely friend in Slytherin with Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Harry's former enemy Draco Malfoy and Astoria Greengrass. Surprisingly, Albus is sorted into Slytherin house alongside Scorpius, as all Potters before him were sorted into Gryffindor. Both boys are bullied by other students over the next few years, Albus due to his perceived failure to live up to his parents, Scorpius due to unproven rumours that he is the son of Lord Voldemort. In addition, Albus and Harry begin to drift apart, owing to Albus's struggles with his father's shadow, and Harry's uncertainty on how to deal with his son's issues.

ETA - I have never seen Jack Thorne's supernatural series The Fades, but it sounds interesting in respect to some of the speculation about Kylo/Ben and Snoke...

Spoiler:
Paul, a student with a history of bedwetting, is haunted by apocalyptic dreams. He is able to see spirits of the dead, known as the Fades, all around him. The Fades cannot be seen, smelled, heard or touched by other humans – they are what is left of humans who have died but have not been able to ascend, because the ascension points on earth have been closing, and few can go through the ones that are still open. Because of this, the Fades left on Earth have become embittered and vengeful toward the human race, and have since developed a way to become partly human again and regain control of touch within the real world. They remain unseen in the world except to those special few like Paul, called "Angelics", who have the ability to perceive the Fades. Paul finds himself pulled into a conflict between the Angelics and the Fades, trying to prevent the Fades from regaining physical form and destroying the human race.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 5 Sep - 18:06

Trevorrow got fired.

Can't copy the link to the article here right now, unfortunately.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 5 Sep - 18:10

Irina de France wrote:Trevorrow got fired.

@Irina de France

OMG

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/colin-trevorrow-exits-star-wars-episode-ix-1202548088/

Freaking knew it. Disney don't put up with anything less than their golden vision.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Tue 5 Sep - 18:11

Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Tue 5 Sep - 18:12

Oh the sweet old "have mutually chosen"
SkyStar
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 5 Sep - 18:14

Xylo Ren wrote:
Irina de France wrote:Trevorrow got fired.

@Irina de France

OMG

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/colin-trevorrow-exits-star-wars-episode-ix-1202548088/

Freaking knew it. Disney don't put up with anything less than their golden vision.
@Xylo Ren

Geez, I wish I could remember where I'd read that Trevorrow was out a while back (but not announced). The language in this announcement is pretty generic, but it's also pretty much exactly how that person said it would go.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 5 Sep - 18:16

SkyStar wrote:Oh the sweet old "have mutually chosen"
@SkyStar

I laughed at that part too... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 5 Sep - 18:17

Wow. Didn't see this coming. I thought they would just hire some script doctors and that's it.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 5 Sep - 18:19

Sorry for the double post, but now twitter can go wild over this news and leave Rian in peace.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 5 Sep - 18:19

Can this settle any lingering doubts or fears about the hands that hold this trilogy?

Disney isn't going to let just any sith fly. They're not afraid to fire ANYONE who gets in the way of perfection. They are freaking ruthless.

Plotgate a scam, confirmed. This stuff has been more planned out than a wedding for the prince of England.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 5 Sep - 18:21

Well, can't say I'm gutted to hear that. I mean, my most optimistic outlook on Episode IX under Trevorrow was, maybe it will be an ok film.

@Xylo Ren I thought TFA was massively flawed and R1 was the worst SW film, period. So no, I still have plenty of reservations about LF's pursuit of perfection.

Last edited by Saracene on Tue 5 Sep - 18:25; edited 1 time in total
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 5 Sep - 18:23

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down