Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Wed 6 Sep - 0:55

Again, Johnson being so diplomatic when the topic was brought with him. Same with Mark Hammill. It sounded from the 2015 Hollywood Reporter coverage that the announcement or decision came on the heels of JW making bank. But he doesn't have any where near the amount of just journeyman experience, including TV, that JJ and RJ have. And the knives have been out for awhile about how he even got into the position of being offered the job, let alone his last movie tanking and concerns people had about entrusting Rey's story to him given some of his track record. Hopefully they get somebody amazing and not somebody who makes Brad Bird think of himself.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 6 Sep - 1:06

@EchoBase wrote:Wow. Didn't see this coming. I thought they would just hire some script doctors and that's it.
@EchoBase

Really? Many expected it when LF brought the Cursed Child scribe. It just felt like they were cleaning up the house.

Also, this should put PlotGate to rest. Don't mess up with whatever vision KK and TPTB have. So no free reign unless your vision aligns with theirs.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Wed 6 Sep - 1:20

Inevitable.

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Wed 6 Sep - 1:59

Have you guys seen this??

http://deadline.com/2017/09/rian-johnson-frontrunner-star-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-1202162109/

There just might be a possibility that Rian might return for IX! Fingers crossed! bounce
tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Wed 6 Sep - 2:09

I guess this topic should be changed to Colin Trevorrow NOT for Episode IX? lol!

I am a little surprised but not totally shocked. The writing was on the wall, I think they went after him impulsively and it's better to cut ties sooner rather then later? At least it was before the movie started filming. I think this has to affect the release date, right? Maybe it won't but at this point I'd prefer that they take the time. I can wait 7 more months in exchange for a well-done film. I'm not the type to sacrifice quality over quantity.
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 6 Sep - 2:12

Just please please please don't let Gareth Edwards near this trilogy. Unless they actually want all charm and charisma sucked out of Episode IX.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Wed 6 Sep - 2:35

I guess I'm in a different camp since I expected this. Laughing Seemed like things weren't going the way LF wanted when they brought in Cursed Child guy, and for the final chapter of this trilogy... He was on thin ice.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 6 Sep - 2:41

@Helix wrote:I guess I'm in a different camp since I expected this. Laughing Seemed like things weren't going the way LF wanted when they brought in Cursed Child guy, and for the final chapter of this trilogy... He was on thin ice.
@Helix

I agree. That didn't look too good.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 6 Sep - 2:55

@Saracene wrote:Just please please please don't let Gareth Edwards near this trilogy. Unless they actually want all charm and charisma sucked out of Episode IX.
@Saracene

Same goes for DuVerney, Bigelow and Villeneuve, three of the most fancast directors for Star Wars. None of them has basic idea what charm is going by their previous opus. Especially procedural-focused Bigelow. I always cringe when her name is brought up for SW or a SH movie. Like, have they even bother to see her movies or they just feel super progressive for throwing in a female director name they've actually heard about?
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Wed 6 Sep - 2:58

The Collider guys also think there is real possibility that Rian will direct episode IX again! Is what makes most sense at this point! Here´s hoping KK offers him everything and he accepts! Smile
tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 6 Sep - 3:08

@tukicarreno wrote:The Collider guys also think there is real possibility that Rian will direct episode IX again! Is what makes most sense at this point! Here´s hoping KK offers him everything and he accepts! Smile
@tukicarreno

He has already been offered everything. We'll find out if he or someone else accepted soon. But make no mistake, they have the replacement cause they need the script ASAP.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Wed 6 Sep - 3:43

@vaderito wrote:
@tukicarreno wrote:The Collider guys also think there is real possibility that Rian will direct episode IX again! Is what makes most sense at this point! Here´s hoping KK offers him everything and he accepts! Smile
@tukicarreno

He has already been offered everything. We'll find out if he or someone else accepted soon. But make no mistake, they have the replacement cause they need the script ASAP.
@vaderito

Got it. Praying he does accept.
tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Wed 6 Sep - 3:55

I doubt Denis Villeneuve will do IX considering he's working on a live-action adaptation of Dune after he's done with Blade Runner 2049. Even though I'd LOVE to see a Quebecois director making a Star Wars movie. It'd be a historical moment for Quebec for sure.

I wouldn't complain about Patty Jenkins doing IX, because she would do amazing with Rey and she sure as heck wouldn't be afraid to embrace the epic, optimistic and fairytale-in-space side of SW. If ahe decides to go for a Reylo romance, you can be sure it'll be for the ages. And her snipping at the pearl clutchers would be probably even more priceless than Rian.

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 6 Sep - 3:58

@Irina de France wrote:I doubt Denis Villeneuve will do IX considering he's working on a live-action adaptation of Dune after he's done with Blade Runner 2049. Even though I'd LOVE to see a Quebecois director making a Star Wars movie. It'd be a historical moment for Quebec for sure.

I wouldn't complain about Patty Jenkins doing IX, because she would do amazing with Rey and she sure as heck wouldn't be afraid to embrace the epic, optimistic and fairytale-in-space side of SW. If ahe decides to go for a Reylo romance, you can be sure it'll be for the ages. And her snipping at the pearl clutchers would be probably even more priceless than Rian.
@Irina de France

Jenkins has the same problem as the Quebecois - prepping Wonder Woman 2 for 2019 release. So unless LF beat WB in a biding war that stayed under the wraps and stole her from Wonder Woman 2, fat chance. They have the replacement otherwise they wouldn't announce CT exit. It's like they had Howard when they fired L&M. This isn't about casting a Wow director but getting up and running ASAP. So whoever they have available to jump in right now that they know will do the job.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 6 Sep - 4:08

I thought Wonder Woman was a competent but pretty average movie, and I don't think that Jenkins is much of a visual stylist. Wouldn't be the worst choice, but apart from "yay female director" I don't find it particularly exciting. She did do an amazing job with Diana, but then it was the character's first movie and she could shape her from the beginning; with Rey she'd be inheriting two previous movies' worth of character.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Wed 6 Sep - 4:37

@Saracene wrote:I thought Wonder Woman was a competent but pretty average movie, and I don't think that Jenkins is much of a visual stylist. Wouldn't be the worst choice, but apart from "yay female director" I don't find it particularly exciting. She did do an amazing job with Diana, but then it was the character's first movie and she could shape her from the beginning; with Rey she'd be inheriting two previous movies' worth of character.
@Saracene

Huh. I'm surprised about how aligned our views are, because people don't usually agree with me on these points: Rogue One is a pretty bad SW movie, and Wonder Woman is terrific for a superhero movie and it's an awesome vehicle for female directors because of how successful it was, but other than that it's just OK. What's worse, the villains in Wonder Woman were the weak link imo, and you can't have that in Star Wars. Evil or Very Mad

But to be honest I'm just beyond relieved that Colin Trevorrow has been vanquished and I think almost anyone would be an improvement over him. That being said, I have my heart set on Rian. I've had my doubts about him in the past, but after seeing his impassioned defense of Kylo Ren and good storytelling today:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Wed 6 Sep - 5:23

Wow, I'm shocked and then not shocked at the same time lol. I wasn't a fan of Trevorrow, but was willing to give him a chance. However, I got to say I'm glad Disney/LF isn't messing around. If Rian delivered a great film in TLJ then the last thing they need is to screw the pooch on the final film. It would leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth and I don't think they're ready to kill their cash cow franchise just yet. Depending on who they hire to wrap up this trilogy it should give us a good idea of how Disney/LF wants to tie up the Reylo dynamic in the final film. Very exciting indeed.

Last edited by Tex on Wed 6 Sep - 6:08; edited 2 times in total
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 6 Sep - 5:29

Wow. I knew it was just a matter of time after the Book of Henry fiasco, but I feel like this was probably brewing for a longer time?

A while ago I dreamt that Trevorrow was replaced by Kenneth Branagh, so let's see if I have prophetic dreams Laughing

My favourite to direct IX - or any SW film, for that matter - is actually Ang Lee. He directed two of my favourite films which are completely different from each other but both equally beautiful and sensitive (Sense and Sensibility and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

(I'm sure Rian's return would be great, too, and that seems like a definite possibility if he's got no other projects lined up. It's just hard to judge before even seeing TLJ yet!)
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 6 Sep - 6:41

Not so familiar with the directors (at least those active during last 10 years or so) so I can't say too much on the topic, expect I'am not so shocked at all, given the events during last 4 - 5 months.

- the plotgate in the interviews
- leading to Han Solo fiasco
- Book of Henry
- the new scribe
- again Rian emphasizing the complete creative freedom

etc...

Everything is clear. The Mouse and LF planned all. And they control it.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 6 Sep - 6:45

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Not so familiar with the directors (at least those active during last 10 years or so) so I can't say too much on the topic, expect I'am not so shocked at all, given the events during last 4 - 5 months.

- Book of Henry
- the new scribe

etc...

@Darth_Awakened

Yes. Like I said before: you get complete creative freedom...

... as long as you deliver what KK had in mind. If not, you get the boot. Razz
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 6 Sep - 6:53

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:Not so familiar with the directors (at least those active during last 10 years or so) so I can't say too much on the topic, expect I'am not so shocked at all, given the events during last 4 - 5 months.

- Book of Henry
- the new scribe

etc...

@Darth_Awakened

@Darth Dingbat

I adore KK and her take on the new trilogy and the characters (at least from what I read in the interviews) but can't drop out the immediate mental image after reading your post:

KK to Colin: "Apology accepted, Captain Needa"

Everything is great (from a certain point of view Very Happy)

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Wed 6 Sep - 7:52; edited 1 time in total
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 6 Sep - 7:20

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

- Book of Henry
- the new scribe

etc...

@Darth_Awakened

@Darth Dingbat

I adore KK and her take on the new trilogy and the characters (at least from what I read in the interviews) but can't drop out the immediate mental imagine after reading your post:

@Darth_Awakened

I wouldn't mind if somebody photoshopped that... Laughing
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 6 Sep - 7:38

I'd love Lee considering how he's pretty equally good at action and heartbreaking emotion. I'm not somebody who cries easily but Brokeback Mountain (and that main theme from it) had me bawling in the theater.  And my best case scenario for Space Wizard Sword Fights would be like Crouching Tiger

Now that everybody's having fun speculating on who will direct the next installment, it's interesting how many times people mention Ava DuVernay in reference to the "Feeling the Force or Whatever" moment given JJ's DVD commentary giving her credit for the idea. Also Taika Waitiki better not be in consideration seeing as how he *owes* us the What We Do in the Shadows sequel about Murry Hewitt and his gang of polite werewolves!

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 6 Sep - 7:44

With all due respect - please God no. Ive quit the Thor movies on seeing what Mr Waititi has done with the franchise.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 6 Sep - 7:52

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

- Book of Henry
- the new scribe

etc...

@Darth_Awakened

@Darth Dingbat

I adore KK and her take on the new trilogy and the characters (at least from what I read in the interviews) but can't drop out the immediate mental image after reading your post:

@Darth_Awakened

I wouldn't mind if somebody photoshopped that... Laughing
@Darth Dingbat

Sorry I can't help you with that Laughing
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum