Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by CienaRee on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 6:41

Just wondering since the PT is such a controversial topic among the SW fandom.Some hate it some try to find some good things in it.
Personally I think they had so much potential  and if done right could have been amazing but unfortunately GL choose to do them by himself which led to  a giant mess basically.
But hey that's just me. Very Happy

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1058
Likes : 5221
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Armadeus on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 6:49

There's a lot to bemoan about the prequels, but there's also a lot that I like: the podracer sequence; Obi-Wan Kenobi; the belletic lightsaber duels; Obi-Wan Kenobi; Qui-Gon Jinn; Obi-Wan Kenobi; the way they stand apart from the OT as their own distinct set of movies (some view this as a fault, I don't); Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Overall, I admit they are disappointing, but far from the cinematic Hindenburgs most people make them out to be.
avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1158
Likes : 3437
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by CienaRee on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 7:24

@Armadeus wrote:There's a lot to bemoan about the prequels, but there's also a lot that I like: the podracer sequence; Obi-Wan Kenobi; the belletic lightsaber duels; Obi-Wan Kenobi; Qui-Gon Jinn; Obi-Wan Kenobi; the way they stand apart from the OT as their own distinct set of movies (some view this as a fault, I don't); Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Overall, I admit they are disappointing, but far from the cinematic Hindenburgs most people make them out to be.
@Armadeus

You know sometimes I wonder would hardcore SW fans idolize the OT so much if the Prequals didn't exist?They would still be cinema classics but I think some of the fans don't want to see that the OT had its flaws(like every movie does)and instead choose to find the flaws only in the PT.
I think what the Prequals ultimately lacked was heart.Yes it was set in a different timeline but the heart and adventure that made SW so popualr just wasn't there.The fact that people couldn't relate to the characters also didn't help.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1058
Likes : 5221
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Armadeus on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 7:40

@CienaRee wrote:
@Armadeus wrote:There's a lot to bemoan about the prequels, but there's also a lot that I like: the podracer sequence; Obi-Wan Kenobi; the belletic lightsaber duels; Obi-Wan Kenobi; Qui-Gon Jinn; Obi-Wan Kenobi; the way they stand apart from the OT as their own distinct set of movies (some view this as a fault, I don't); Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Overall, I admit they are disappointing, but far from the cinematic Hindenburgs most people make them out to be.
@Armadeus

You know sometimes I wonder would hardcore SW fans idolize the OT so much if the Prequals didn't exist?They would still be cinema classics but I think some of the fans don't want to see that the OT had its flaws(like every movie does)and instead choose to find the flaws only in the PT.
I think what the Prequals ultimately lacked was heart.Yes it was set in a different timeline but the heart and adventure that made SW so popualr just wasn't there.The fact that people couldn't relate to the characters also didn't help.
@CienaRee

Trust me, they'd still idolise it. In fact, it's that idolisation that resulted in a lot of the backlash from fans towards the PT. The chief complaint being that they're 'nothing like the OT,' which was kinda the point, I think. They're meant to stand on their own, but lead into the OT. They don't lead into it as well as could be hoped (why is technology in the past more advanced than it is in the future?), but that's beyond my control and it's no use moaning about it now. And, hey, at least Lucas TRIED to do something different / not repeat himself.

I think TPM started off with the sort of light-hearted flair that characterised the OT, but AOTC got bogged down in all that Separatist/fight-for-democracy stuff that kinda had me rolling my eyes.

Then there's Hayden as Anakin, which I think really pushed a lot of people's buttons. Personally, I don't hate Hayden as Anakin and I get what Lucas was TRYING to do, but the character is nigh-insufferable (especially in AOTC).

The PT would have worked so much better if Lucas had just taken the same role he had adopted for ESB and ROTJ: Executive Producer/Chief Story Writer and delegated the nitty-gritty to other people.


Last edited by Armadeus on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 8:35; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1158
Likes : 3437
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Xylo Ren on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 8:15

I saw the OT as a kid, enjoyed them.
I grew up as the PT came about, got really into Star Wars and collected almost 50 action figures.

Didn't know prequels were even reviled until I went on a certain forum in December after TFA, to be honest. As a kid I enjoyed them a lot and didn't really pay attention to acting or plot holes.

Most prequel hate is group mentality imo.
avatar
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1843
Likes : 16445
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Armadeus on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 8:22

@Xylo Ren wrote:I saw the OT as a kid, enjoyed them.
I grew up as the PT came about, got really into Star Wars and collected almost 50 action figures.

Didn't know prequels were even reviled until I went on a certain forum in December after TFA, to be honest. As a kid I enjoyed them a lot and didn't really pay attention to acting or plot holes.

Most prequel hate is group mentality imo.
@Xylo Ren

Yup. Exactly.

avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1158
Likes : 3437
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Forsythia on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:57

I don't like them but I don't hate them. Since I saw the OT first and absolutely loved it, I didn't like the PT because it looks so different. One of my problems with it was always that the technology in the PT looks more modern than in the OT which doesn't make sense. But the look of the films isn't the only problem. I think some of the dialogues are horrible and TPM and AotC are boring. I tried watching them again recently but I just didn't enjoy them and wanted to fast-forward a couple of times. Some of the characters are very annoying (Jar Jar, Nute Gunray). There are a few things that I like, though: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, Padme in TPM, new lighsabers like the double-bladed lightsaber, some parts of RotS, I also liked that we got to see so many Jedi and the Jedi temple. And I like Darth Maul because he looks cool and is very silent compared to Darth Vader who talks all the time during the lightsaber duels Very Happy *

However, I don't understand why there is so much hate from some of the OT fans. No one is forcing them to watch the PT (or the ST). They could just ignore it and watch only the OT. I idolize the OT because it was very important to me as a child but I know it has flaws like every other film. Since I don't like the PT, I just don't watch or think about it as often as the OT. But unfortunately, some people just love spending a lot of time hating things and hating everyone who disagrees with them Rolling Eyes

* EDIT: I forgot to mention that I love the soundtrack of the PT.


Last edited by Forsythia on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 13:08; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 295
Likes : 1642
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Force Ghost on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 15:09

I like all 7 movies , I don't understand why some people hate PT...I even like Jar Jar. The only thing I don't like is the scene where Anakin and Padme talk about their future, the scene where she's wearing black leather(i think). That dialog was so...well cheesy
avatar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1099
Likes : 4005
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by EchoBase on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 16:06

I wasn't a big fan at first and was really disappointed with Episode I (too much podracing) - though I did like Ewan Mc Gregor and Liam Neeson in it.
But after some time and with the release of ROTS I became a fan of Anakin, though everyone seemed to hate Hayden Christensen, but I really liked him. Especially in his scenes with Obi-Wan. It wasn't an easy role to play and the scripts were cheesy, but he did his best (whereas Padme did not) I even liked his appearance in the remastered version of ROTJ, though I grew up with another version. Give progress a chance Razz.

Like I said before, I'm a Skywalker groupie, I don't care if they are good or bad, as long as they are in the center of story and the story is good. That's why I have never understood why the Reywalkers desperately want her to be one. After I had found out that Kylo is a descendant, I was satisfied.

I really really would love to have a connection to the PT in the ST. Best case scenario would be Anakin's force ghost talking to Kylo. I've already checked it, Hayden and Adam have nearly the same height and are almost the same age. And both with gorgeous hair. Imagine these two hotties in one scene:




Yes, I'm fangirling, but I don't care Razz.
Hayden already confirmed that he would do in a heartbeat, if they asked him (appear in the ST or in a spin-off), so I keep hoping Smile.


And no, I never liked Jar Jar, but I don't like the Ewoks either Wink.
avatar
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2573
Likes : 10679
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Saracene on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 1:41

They're failures on most fronts, but not complete write-offs, and for all its problems I actually like Revenge of the Sith. If anything, I think they're interesting as works that came out of a singular artistic vision, which is a rarity in these films-by-committees days. Even though that vision is flawed as heck and Lucas seems to have no clue about how real human beings interact with each other.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1530
Likes : 9393
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 37
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by ZenBrainJam on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 7:11

Well I don't like PT, I am honest, but I don't hate it either. The movies had huge burden to bear (but yes OT has his big flaws too) and came out not so well from GL hands. But HC and EMcG did their best at the time, and NP too considering all the problems with lines and plot and bad characters development... said so, I never watch them again, but I still watch ESB or ANH sometimes.
avatar
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 378
Likes : 1296
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Darth Dementor on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 20:14

Big fan; The Prequels is what got me into Star Wars. Phantom Menace was the first SW movie I ever saw.

_________________
avatar
Darth Dementor
Moderator

Messages : 969
Likes : 4336
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by BastilaBey on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 20:26

I'm not a big fan but I also think the complaining about them can be a bit overblown. I didn't really buy the relationship between Anakin and Padme, that could have been done more believably. But I loved the soundtracks, the saber fights, and Obi-Wan. Revenge of the Sith really isn't that bad, it makes me so sad every time I watch it though so don't too often. Christopher Lee was good as Count Dooku but I always laugh at the moment when he's speeding along on his little bike, the effects there looked so strange and hokey.

Don't get me started on Jar Jar or Nute Gunray. I think they are atrociously racist and can't understand what GL was thinking.
avatar
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2350
Likes : 23503
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Search Your Feelings on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 20:39

For me, there was no excuse for the bad acting and the horrible script and CG but there were some things that I liked:

1. Darth Maul fight with ObiWan and QuiGon
2. ROTS beginning space battle
3. The Soundtrack
4. Final Battle between Palpatine and Yoda/Anakin and ObiWan
5. Ending of ROTS where Leia ends up on Alderaan, Luke on Tatooine with ObiWan looking pensive

That's about it...
avatar
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 304
Likes : 2070
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 23:23

It is OT for me.
Definitely there is a sentimental reason for this - I grow up with those movies. My first fictional crush was Luke.

However on more grown-up way of thinking I still prefer OT - main reason for it is Lawrence Kasdan. I completely understood it after I saw TFA.
On the other hand I do prefer one thing in the prequels: the soundtrack - old JW was on his peak.

avatar
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4069
Likes : 19273
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 0:53

George Lucas should have let someone else write the romance and Jar Jar was obnoxious. Those are my only complaints.

I thought everything else was appropriate to the story and the era in which it took place. I especially thought the artistic styling - the scenery, the smoothness/curvaciousness/fluidity of ships, buildings, etc., featuring of art pieces in Palpatine's office and scene set in an opera - were all evocative of Obi-Wan's description of "elegance" for "a more civilized age" in ANH. Speaking of elegant weapons, I loved the lightsaber duels and thought the proficiency being several steps above what we had seen in the OT was apropos given we were seeing a generations of fully trained Jedi and Sith.
avatar
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1744
Likes : 9677
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by MissG on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 14:25

I actually prefer the PT over OT and especially ROTS, but maybe it has something to do with me watching them years before I ever watched OT and I only did that because I was really interested in Vader's story. Now don't kill me I know many people find Prequels cringe worthy, but for me Originals are even more so, when I was watching ROTJ for example I wanted to take out a gun and shoot all the ewoks, why did they take so much of the movie?! Recently I have a bit more appreciation for all of the films though, perhaps because from a member of GA I turned into more of a fan and pay more attention to detail.
avatar
MissG
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 256
Likes : 2007
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by CienaRee on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 14:41

@MissG wrote:I actually prefer the PT over OT and especially ROTS, but maybe it has something to do with me watching them years before I ever watched OT and I only did that because I was really interested in Vader's story. Now don't kill me I know many people find Prequels cringe worthy, but for me Originals are even more so, when I was watching ROTJ for example I wanted to take out a gun and shoot all the ewoks, why did they take so much of the movie?! Recently I have a bit more appreciation for all of the films though, perhaps because from a member of GA I turned into more of a fan and pay more attention to detail.
@MissG

I know what you mean while I'm not a fan of the PT as a whole I prefer RTS over RTJ.I mean out of all the SW movies I consider ESB to be the best of them all but I consdier RTS to be the darkes one yet and you know it could have been really amazing if the writing was also great.
I dont really have a problem with HC as Anakin and I thoguht he did a great job in RTS showing the conflicting emotions inside Anakin.
However in my opinion GL had no idea how to combine Anakin and Vader into one person and make them sympathetic and tragic at the same time since originally he intende for Vader to be one dimensional villian who fell to the DS because of his greed for more power and for Anakint be this noble warrior who was a hero of TCW.Unfortunately GL failed in  presenting us a more 3 dimensional character eventhough RTS came pretty close to what could have been.
As for RTJ while I do like the movie and it still felt like a true SW movie I think that was around  the time where  real decline of  of the saga  started which later  resulted in the Prequals.
In my opinion RTJ just wasnt able to live up to his predecessor ESB and it had lots of potential but Lucas made some really lame decisions because he wanted everyone to have a Happy Ending so we had the fearsome and deadly Empire from ANH and especially ESB be defeated by teddy bears,another Death Star, Han/Leia being regulated to supporting characters with not much to do not to mention the twist with Leia being Anakis daughter only being added because Lucas didnt want to make anymore movies and wanted to wrap the triangele thus no real emotion was shown from Leia about Vader being her biological father.
The Vader/Luke scenes remain one of the most amazing and iconic ones in all the sage but to be honest some of the Empero's dailogue during those scenes made me cringe they just made him over the top evil,IMO.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1058
Likes : 5221
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Darth Dementor on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 15:11

@MeadowofAshes wrote:George Lucas should have let someone else write the romance and Jar Jar was obnoxious. Those are my only complaints.

I thought everything else was appropriate to the story and the era in which it took place. I especially thought the artistic styling - the scenery, the smoothness/curvaciousness/fluidity of ships, buildings, etc., featuring of art pieces in Palpatine's office and scene set in an opera - were all evocative of Obi-Wan's description of "elegance" for "a more civilized age" in ANH. Speaking of elegant weapons, I loved the lightsaber duels and thought the proficiency being several steps above what we had seen in the OT was apropos given we were seeing a generations of fully trained Jedi and Sith.
@MeadowofAshes

What made me realize how out of touch he was was his insistence on putting Jar Jar in TPM as much as he could. His exact words, in a behind the scenes clip: "we have to get more Jar Jar in there. He's the funniest character we got."

He honestly believe he was the funniest character in the movie and everyone was going to love him?

_________________
avatar
Darth Dementor
Moderator

Messages : 969
Likes : 4336
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by IoJovi on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 15:19

Funny, I was just thinking about what I actually liked about the prequels, and hands down its the story arc of Palatine's rise to power. It something that rings true in our own real world.

The only way he was able to get into the position of complete control was because the people gave it to him - without the Senate, and the continuous votes to give him further and further power, it never would have worked for him. He did it through fear mongering, and threats that if something isn't done, the galaxy they know would collapse into war and chaos.

Sounds too familiar, unfortunately.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6443
Likes : 36317
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by Search Your Feelings on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 19:46

@Darth Dementor wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:George Lucas should have let someone else write the romance and Jar Jar was obnoxious. Those are my only complaints.

I thought everything else was appropriate to the story and the era in which it took place. I especially thought the artistic styling - the scenery, the smoothness/curvaciousness/fluidity of ships, buildings, etc., featuring of art pieces in Palpatine's office and scene set in an opera - were all evocative of Obi-Wan's description of "elegance" for "a more civilized age" in ANH. Speaking of elegant weapons, I loved the lightsaber duels and thought the proficiency being several steps above what we had seen in the OT was apropos given we were seeing a generations of fully trained Jedi and Sith.
@MeadowofAshes

What made me realize how out of touch he was was his insistence on putting Jar Jar in TPM as much as he could. His exact words, in a behind the scenes clip: "we have to get more Jar Jar in there. He's the funniest character we got."

He honestly believe he was the funniest character in the movie and everyone was going to love him?
@Darth Dementor

**facepalm**
He definitely was out of touch from being surrounded by yes men. But I still respect him for creating SW and the OT but a lot of the success of the OT had to do with the people around him creating the models, the writing, the actors adlibbing, etc.

avatar
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 304
Likes : 2070
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a fan of the Prequels?

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 19 Jun 2016 - 21:28

@Search Your Feelings wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:
@MeadowofAshes wrote:George Lucas should have let someone else write the romance and Jar Jar was obnoxious. Those are my only complaints.

I thought everything else was appropriate to the story and the era in which it took place. I especially thought the artistic styling - the scenery, the smoothness/curvaciousness/fluidity of ships, buildings, etc., featuring of art pieces in Palpatine's office and scene set in an opera - were all evocative of Obi-Wan's description of "elegance" for "a more civilized age" in ANH. Speaking of elegant weapons, I loved the lightsaber duels and thought the proficiency being several steps above what we had seen in the OT was apropos given we were seeing a generations of fully trained Jedi and Sith.
@MeadowofAshes

What made me realize how out of touch he was was his insistence on putting Jar Jar in TPM as much as he could. His exact words, in a behind the scenes clip: "we have to get more Jar Jar in there. He's the funniest character we got."

He honestly believe he was the funniest character in the movie and everyone was going to love him?
@Darth Dementor

**facepalm**
He definitely was out of touch from being surrounded by yes men. But I still respect him for creating SW and the OT but a lot of the success of the OT had to do with the people around him creating the models, the writing, the actors adlibbing, etc.

@Search Your Feelings
George really felt that his franchise was for kids and families. He even said he thought some fans had trouble accepting that he had always intended the series to be modern myth or fairytale for children. Jar Jar was meant for the kids, so I wouldn't say he was out of touch with reality for wanting more of him. Jar Jar just did not work well with the adult audience at all... xD

I am a fan of the PT. It was my generation. I like the campy vibes and I find Obi-Wan, Palpatine and Qui-Gon to be some of the most memorable characters in the entire franchise. Palpatine is a much more interesting and compelling "villain" than Vader IMO (who is mainly just... sad). I don't think the acting was as bad as many do, the music was great and the story was actually really enjoyable. As many have said before me, it was the script execution that really killed the whole thing. I still really enjoy all three though, particularly RoTS.

I think the our current generation will end up being my favourite. I love Rebels so much, and I hope the ST in itself lives up to the promise TFA leaves us with.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3472
Likes : 30091
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum