Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 16:54

IoJovi wrote:What is this about desert rats, Kylo and Rey? I just returned from vacation and I must know!!!
@IoJovi

Welcome back...Hope you had a good break Smile

We're discussing how the upcoming novel seems to hint at Kylo being like Padme.... so that technically makes Rey like Anakin..... Smile

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 10 Jul - 16:55

panki wrote:
IoJovi wrote:What is this about desert rats, Kylo and Rey? I just returned from vacation and I must know!!!
@IoJovi

We're discussing how the upcoming novel seems to hint at Kylo being like Padme.... so that technically makes Rey like Anakin..... Smile
@panki

Life Debt, correct? Sweet! Am I correct that this is where Armitage Hux is mentioned? Sorry for the questions - still playing catch up!

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 16:59

IoJovi wrote:
panki wrote:
@IoJovi

@panki

Life Debt, correct? Sweet! Am I correct that this is where Armitage Hux is mentioned? Sorry for the questions - still playing catch up!
@IoJovi

Yes... Smile

Armitage is the first name of TFA General Hux.... he is the illegitimate child of Brendo Hux and was considered a weakling by other imperials.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 10 Jul - 17:26

panki wrote:
@IoJovi

@panki

All those Senator!Kylo / Jedi!Rey fics were RIGHT. I do like the parallels, though.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 17:36

Time to jump on Lil Armie bandwaggon:

http://gwendy85.tumblr.com/

Still lots of free seats.

Sith, we need Armie and Angel fic and fanart now. Kyluxers, what are you waiting for?

Last edited by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 17:36; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Sun 10 Jul - 17:36

BastilaBey wrote:@panki That's what it reminded me of too! That's an iconic line from the prequels so I'd like to think it's not just a coincidence. Kylo even looks more like his grandmother than his grandfather, in my opinion. It would be very interesting if, like Padme, he had faith in democracy that was then failed for some reason.
@BastilaBey

Confus i see it... iiii see the resemblance...
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 17:38

This is the first time that I see that Kylo's cowl resembles a bat wing. or a dragon wing.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 17:42

spacebaby45678 wrote:
snufkin wrote:
vaderito wrote:@CienaRee Possible. Rey was abandoned on Jakku. That can be due to 2 things:

a) her family are terrible people

b) it was in a hurry because they were running away from someone with a good chance to get caught. They probably wanted to go back but something happened.

I believe option 2 is the right one. So it raises the question who they were running from?

LOL at

Spoiler:
Armitage Hux's mom being a kitchen servant.
@vaderito

After rewatching Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago in the past few days thanks to the discussion on here and reading about the influence David Lean's movies had on both the OT and PT, I vote for option 2. Because abandoned orphan with mysterious backstory and linkage to important character is straight out of Dr. Zhivago. And in that movie, it's a character played by Sir Alec Guinness who tracks her down and tells her the story of her parents. Which includes how her parents were under suspicion for their political stance/affiliation by a totalitarian government and ended up in hiding/on the run, leading up to her separation from them when she's a small child. There's several overt references to shots of Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia in her scenes on Jakku (in addition to her character also having obvious inspiration from Hayao Miyazaki's heroines), so not too out of bounds to think that there might also be elements from Dr. Zhivago also borrowed for her character. Ben Solo/Kylo Ren basically is Pasha Antipov/Strelnikov from the same movie.

In regards to who her parents may have been on the run from:

Spoiler:
1. The whole Luke killed her parents theory is just way too harsh. Sure if he killed them, that makes things morally complicated and satisfies the "Luke went Dark" rumors. But it also puts him far beyond the bounds of something she can get over if she's being set up to take Han's place as the outsider who allies and then marries into the family.  She's already going to have to go through some kind of resolution with Ben for having murdered Han. You add Luke to the list and basically it's a family where both have murdered her parents/parent type figures. At that point, she might as well get the Hell away from them (and stop returning Leia's calls) because that's a family she's not going to want to have anything to do with. It fills the "that would be Dark/Cool" or "that would make Luke Dark" dance cards, but it paints the narrative and any desire she has to ally with this family into a corner. Her big difficult coming to terms over a death has to be with Ben for what he did to Han.

2. The scenes with Snoke about the Awakening and "bring her to me" are outright lifts from the conversation Vader has with the Emperor in ESB about how Luke is the Disturbance and then the Emperor is like "I know that your kid didn't die with your wife."  So if they go through with that parallel, then it has to follow the same narrative logic. Obi-Wan et all were on the run at that point from the Empire and after Padme's death, covered up the twins' birth and survival.  So her parents would have to be in opposition to Snoke or at least being pursued by him or somebody affiliated with his Big Evil Masterplan™ And Snoke would've thought that she died with her parents.

To my brain at least, having Snoke/the FO (or even the KoR) being responsible for Rey's abandonment and her parents' disappearance/likely murder works better for Ben finally having the cajones to assert himself against Snoke and go Ronin.  He's already been privvy to her memories and pain over spending her childhood/adolescence alone and obviously identifies with that besides his whole fixation/infatuation with her. Having Luke being responsible just seems like it would be a dead end. Versus if Snoke is responsible (and maybe orders him to kill her a la the ESB scene, that's going to push him over the line
@snufkin

I have always thought Zhivago & Lawrence so boring, but now I will have to watch them.. :study:

I vote for option 2 based on the fact why would Rey's parent be going to Jakku? Maybe because of the secret imperial base there, maybe they intended to hide there for safety:
@spacebaby45678

Or you could just read my posts if you want to save yourself the 6 or so hours it'll take to watch both movies ; ). Besides John Ford and Akira Kurasawa, George Lucas was influenced by David Lean. Most overtly Lawrence of Arabia Lean's theory of showing progress/time unfolding on screen as L-R movement is used in AotC, the shots of the desert in the original movie are inspired by it, and there's one scene in AotC which outright uses the same location and blocking. While Rey is most directly influenced by Hiyao Miyazaki's heroines (I'm talking outside of the SW franchise), there's at least two shots during the Jakku segment where she's blocked exactly like Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia. Especially when she relents and you see her and BB-8 crossing the desert back to her home after she's rescued him/agreed to take him in (e.g. becomes his protector and the heroine of the story). The main theme of LoA is identity, including the line "for some men nothing is written unless THEY write it." Which applies to the original movie, as well as this new trio of characters. Anyways, another mention was made on here to Dr. Zhivago and that clicked in my brain, because it's another Lean movie with Sir Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan) as one of the central characters, on the hunt for his missing niece (like the Searchers), who was lost during political unrest while on the run/hiding with her mother because of larger, dangerous political force seeking them. And the young woman he finds is living on the fringes of society as a poor laborer with very little memory of her life before becoming an orphan. There's also another character who's very idealistic/good hearted and who loathes himself for not being man enough. So he takes advantage of being thought killed in combat to re-invent himself as a heartless, military strongman.

tl;dr - Lean's stuff may still bore you. But it's a well that the SW franchise has drawn quite heavily on, especially for cinematography. And Obi-Wan Kenobi was played by the actor who's synonymous with Lean's films. It really wouldn't surprise me if some of the character elements from Dr. Zhivago may have also been used as inspiration (or maybe JJ Abrams et all have just watched these movies as many times as I have, so it was unconscious) for both Rey and Ben/Kylo Ren.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Sun 10 Jul - 17:44

There is still so much that's unknown about Ben Solo's past. We can't take anything for granted at this point, IMHO.

Here's what we do know -

Ben was conceived (likely an unplanned pregnancy) and was born during a time of great instability. The Empire might have been all but defeated but the New Republic was in its infancy. We know from Bloodline that Leia took her duty as a Senetor extremely seriously. While it's clear she loved Han and Ben very much, she was driven by duty. Han is similarly involved in running a shipping company and later in racing.

We know, again from Bloodline and from Aftermath: Life Debt, that Han and Leia, although passionately in love, did spend extended periods of time essentially living separate lives. We don't know yet what affect this had on Ben or how good his relationship with his parents was during childhood and later. Bloodline only tells us that Leia, Han and Ben speak via space Skype occasionally. We don't know how long has passed between communications, but months seems likely and might be even longer.

We don't know at what age Ben was sent to train with Luke. TFA has Leia lamenting that she should never have sent him away as that's when she lost him and Han. Although the latter contradicts what we see in Bloodline where Han and Leia are still very much a couple. But there could have been some kind of disconnect or emotional distance as they haven't seen each other in person for months before they very briefly reunite. Leia also said in TFA that Snoke turned Ben to the dark side and that he'd been there from the start. Is Leia talking about the dark presence she senses in the Aftermath: Life Debt extract when she connects with her unborn baby through the force? If so that would mean Snoke had his eye on Ben even before he was born *shudders*

Again, there's so much missing from Ben's story. We know that Luke appeared to have been travelling around in search of old Jedi lore. Ben probably accompanied him along with possibly other force sensitive apprentices. Lor Tan Sekka also seems to have assisted Luke with his Church of the Force acolytes. We don't know if there were ideological differences between Luke and Ben. Bloodline tells us that the truth about Luke and Leia's parentage was kept from Ben. Did Ben ever receive the holo that Leia made for him to explain why they didn't tell him about Darth Vader? It is probable he found out some other way and that played into him joining Snoke and the First Order. I don't personally believe the Vader reveal was the main reason for him turning. I think there's more to it and we've yet to discover what Luke and his acolytes were discovering on their travels. I'm also not sure about Luke hunting and killing dark siders. I could see him being indirectly responsible for the deaths of innocent people by refusing to take up the old role of the Jedi as galactic peacekeepers. Someone once theorised that Rey's parents could have been killed because Luke and his Jedi apprentices didn't intervene to stop fighting between tribes. That could also play into Kylo joining with Snoke and the Knights of Ren because I believe Kathleen Kennedy envisaged them in a Seven Samuri kind of way. Perhaps Ben disagreed with his uncle about the role of the Jedi and Snoke offered him a way to do what he thought was right by offering to make him Master of the Knights of Ren.

I really liked Bloodline and the character of Ransolm Casterfo because it showed how a good person could believe in the idea of the Empire for understandable reasons. We have been told that Kylo Ren believes he is right and that he has a mission to finish what Darth Vader started. I don't personally see it as a problem that he doesn't appear to have broken with his family until the age of 23/24. It doesn't have to be that his family history is awful. His parents and Luke still loved him and did what they thought was best but they didn't trust him with the truth about Vader. They didn't stop Snoke from preying on him. They didn't put Ben before their individual pursuits (Leia in politics, Han in shipping and racing and Luke with his Jedi lore). It doesn't mean they are to blame for the bad things Kylo has done, he wasn't a child when he turned, but his choices were likely based on not being able to count on his family and deep ideological differences with the New Republic and Luke's vision for the Jedi.

I'm confident that when we start to get the blanks filled in it will cast Kylo/Ben in a more sympathetic light. I already felt sorry for him in TFA but there are those who need convincing. His position as the legacy child will surely also be an important factor. I also don't see the blame being heaped on Luke, Leia or Han. I think it will be a case of everyone trying to do what they think is best for different reasons, including Kylo. It is clear in TFA that the destruction of the Hosnian System and Hux's methods are not what Kylo signed up for. He is in the position of having made his bed so he has to lie in it but his unraveling shows its not where he really wants to be or should be.

Like I said in a previous post, I personally welcome a bit of background on Armitage Hux. Again, his childhood, pitiful as it might have been, does nothing to excuse his actions as a grown man. Hux is fulfilling the destiny his father envisaged for him and seems unconflicted and happy to be doing so. I know he's been humanised outside of the movies with the introduction of Millicent and what we are seeing in the books, but I doubt much or any of this will make it onto the screen. He is still a Grand Moff Tarkin figure, happy to order the deaths of millions to achieve his ambitions. No amount of being the ginger-haired stepchild is going to change that. If anything Hux is a walking stereotype without Kylo/Ben's complexities or compassion.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 17:52

Armie and Angel: A Star Wars Story

Kill lillll Bennnn

Uses the Force

Dammit, Ben! I'll never have an army if you keep killing Armies!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 17:59

panki wrote:
@panki

It would explain a lot, wouldn't it - many Reywalkers ask, "why all the Anakin parallels if Rey isn't supposed to be a Skywalker?"... well, what if she's supposed to be the "Anakin" in this "reverse Anidala" scenario?

Of course, I would welcome that also because it would suggest a more interesting arc for Rey than the "cinnamon roll hero/cookie cutter strong woman" stuff that many expect from her.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 18:09

Okay, so obviously I don't have the book yet but I wonder...

Spoiler:
I keep reading in spoilers that Palpatine is looking for the "source of the Dark Side" (that was mentioned in Aftermath as well, I think?), and that there's a place on Jakku where something happened (?) 1,000 years before. And unless I'm reading those spoilers wrong, there are some archaeological digs on Jakku, in search of that whatever-it-is? (Sounds very Raiders of the Lost Ark to me.)

I find this very exciting - if that info is accurate, surely it looks possible that some ancient evil was indeed awakened or released? Whether that ancient evil is Vitiate or something completely different.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 18:11

Darth Dingbat wrote:
panki wrote:
@panki

It would explain a lot, wouldn't it - many Reywalkers ask, "why all the Anakin parallels if Rey isn't supposed to be a Skywalker?"... well, what if she's supposed to be the "Anakin" in this "reverse Anidala" scenario?

Of course, I would welcome that also because it would suggest a more interesting arc for Rey than the "cinnamon roll hero/cookie cutter strong woman" stuff that many expect from her.
@Darth Dingbat

people need to learn the difference between a callback and a concept. Reverse Anidala isn't a callback, it's a concept. Rey pulling a Rankor trick is a callback. One and done. It doesn't have a meaning beyond nostalgia. Reverse Anidala, BatB, Adam&Eve are concepts because are overarching. callbacks are not.

Last edited by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 18:12; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 10 Jul - 18:11

IoJovi wrote:
panki wrote:
@IoJovi

@panki

@IoJovi

I must be really tired from my trip. I just realized what thread this is when I posed my previous question.

Laughing

For some reason, I thought this was the Spoilers thread.

Back on topic, I absolutely want to read this book. I wonder if I have to read Aftermath first? From what I've heard, it's rather dull, not really focusing on characters we already know.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 18:19

@Darth Dingbat Palpatine said that Jakku was important 1000 years ago and will be again. It could be a hint that he foresaw Rey but also could be connected to the Battle of Jakku where Empire was crushed beyond repair (until it rose under the FO banner). Or something epic is yet to happen on that planet.

But either way, Lords of the Sith or Tarkin, I forgot which, implies that

Spoiler:
Sith shrine built under the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, whose existence wasn't known to the Jedi, basically led to Jedi downfall cause it seeped the DS which clouded Jedi vision and connection to the Force. After the Jedi fall, Palp excavated the shrine and it became his meditation chamber. Apparently, he wanted to destroy the Jeid so he could get hold of the shrine. needless to say, I absolutely HATE this new canon explanation for what happened. Jedi were corrupt and out of touch because of some freakin shrine they didn't know of! C'mon, what cop out! They were deluded cause they had too much power and wanted to preserve it.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 10 Jul - 18:21

IoJovi wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
panki wrote:
@IoJovi

@panki

@IoJovi

I must be really tired from my trip. I just realized what thread this is when I posed my previous question.

Laughing

For some reason, I thought this was the Spoilers thread.

Back on topic, I absolutely want to read this book. I wonder if I have to read Aftermath first? From what I've heard, it's rather dull, not really focusing on characters we already know.
@IoJovi

I'm planning to skip the first Aftermath book. The reviews aren't very good, and I'm hoping to just be able to piece things together for Life Debt.

Note that for those of us in the US, Life Debt is eligible for your ebook/Kindle/Amazon settlement, if you're like me and prefer to read novels on your Kindle/ereader. You just can't pre-order and pay via the settlement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 18:26

vaderito wrote:@Darth Dingbat Palpatine said that Jakku was important 1000 years ago and will be again. It could be a hint that he foresaw Rey but also could be connected to the Battle of Jakku where Empire was crushed beyond repair (until it rose under the FO banner). Or something epic is yet to happen on that planet.

But either way, Lords of the Sith or Tarkin, I forgot which, implies that

Spoiler:
Sith shrine built under the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, whose existence wasn't known to the Jedi, basically led to Jedi downfall cause it seeped the DS which clouded Jedi vision and connection to the Force. After the Jedi fall, Palp excavated the shrine and it became his meditation chamber. Apparently, he wanted to destroy the Jeid so he could get hold of the shrine. needless to say, I absolutely HATE this new canon explanation for what happened. Jedi were corrupt and out of touch because of some freakin shrine they didn't know of! C'mon, what cop out! They were deluded cause they had too much power and wanted to preserve it.
@vaderito

Definitely a cop-out, I agree.

Re: Jakku - what about the dig? Is there an archaeological dig or did the person who was talking about these spoilers elsewhere make that up?
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Sun 10 Jul - 18:26

vaderito wrote:This is the first time that I see that Kylo's cowl resembles a bat wing. or a dragon wing.

@vaderito

Oh, it does look like a bat wing!  Cool!
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Sun 10 Jul - 18:34

In Bloodline, Lady Carise Sindian mentions that Brendol Hux disappeared after the Battle of Jakku. She believes he was one of the architects of the First Order, but that's only her interpretation. She says that she couldn't believe that someone who fiercely believed in the Empire like Brendol would simply give up.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 18:54

SKB weapon fire reflects in Hux's eyes almost like Anakin's Sith eyes:

Plus he gets to give this face:

yeah, cat lovin unloved bastard son woobifying is not gonna happen in the movies. It's nice-to-know info but not essential. Like sympathetic child/teen Tarkin. Nice to know but not essential for movies.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 18:55

Darth Dingbat wrote:Okay, so obviously I don't have the book yet but I wonder...

Spoiler:
I keep reading in spoilers that Palpatine is looking for the "source of the Dark Side" (that was mentioned in Aftermath as well, I think?), and that there's a place on Jakku where something happened (?) 1,000 years before. And unless I'm reading those spoilers wrong, there are some archaeological digs on Jakku, in search of that whatever-it-is? (Sounds very Raiders of the Lost Ark to me.)

I find this very exciting - if that info is accurate, surely it looks possible that some ancient evil was indeed awakened or released? Whether that ancient evil is Vitiate or something completely different.
@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
You're definitely onto something there.....The ancient corrupting sith artifacts scattered around the galaxy that we hear about in different comics series indicates something really old and evil has at work...and the Obi-wa and Anakin comic talks about an ancient sith civilisation that got wiped out save a few artifacts being preserved.....there is the Mandalorean planet Concord Dawn in Rebels which is missing it's Southern Hemisphere due to war (Jango Fett's home planet)....we have our first space archaeologist Doctor Aphra who the creators say is modeled on Indiana Jones in the Vader comics and Palpatine storing ancient sith artifacts in a cursed ship in the Lando comics.... in the first part of Aftermath, Yupe Tashu has a demon sith mask he uses for interrogation and he talks about the ancient sith and old republic....and finally in the Vader comic, we are told about the eternal empire....

Didn't Darth Bane bring about the sith rule of two a 1000 years before (after the Thought bomb was used to kill all the sith and many jedi but this part is EU now).....which matches the timeline of the Jakku event? Also, Darth Bane is canon but his death is not.... what if they make a character who combines Vitiate and Darth Bane into one? Or there was a big Vitiate type bad who has been influencing all the Sith Lords of the past from afar, making them do his bidding?

I'd like to think Vader figured it out and he died before he could seek out the ancient evil and Kylo is trying to complete this task?

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 19:25

Hmmm, all this talk about ancient evil leads me to believe that the movies are going all the way back to the First Evil aka Original Evil. Because First Jedi Temple. No need to go back to that unless they are dealing with evil so ancient it may well be the Original Evil.

I don't have exact quote but someone from TFA production, JJ likely, said that Snoke observed all events in TP and OT from a distance. That implies he is something really ancient and TFA title was once rumored to be The Ancient Fear. I also believe that they are going to introduce whole new Jedi/Force/dark&Light lore and canon in ST. Also, I bet that one of those First Jedi gave him that forehead scar. It looks like someone stuck LS into his skull.

Pablo said there was no Sith in the movie which is why I think Snoke is evil that precedes the Sith.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 10 Jul - 19:38

At least Snoke looks like he is about 1000 years old.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 20:03

OK, so A Society Penguin will finish the book tomorrow and post spoilers:

http://thesocietypenguin.tumblr.com/

For those that are interested in ‘The Empire needs children’ extract.
The two characters are talking about extracting Brendol Hux and his son Armitage from their current location, which is putting them in danger.
Really intense reading!

This explains why FO has such young officers.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 20:19

vaderito wrote:OK, so A Society Penguin will finish the book tomorrow and post spoilers:

http://thesocietypenguin.tumblr.com/

For those that are interested in ‘The Empire needs children’ extract.
The two characters are talking about extracting Brendol Hux and his son Armitage from their current location, which is putting them in danger.
Really intense reading!

This explains why FO has such young officers.
@vaderito

Now I am wondering....could Finn be a descendant of Admiral Rae Sloane? Suspect It would explain Phasma being so attentive to him.

panki

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum