Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 10 Jul - 21:03

@vaderito wrote:OK, so A Society Penguin will finish the book tomorrow and post spoilers:

http://thesocietypenguin.tumblr.com/

For those that are interested in ‘The Empire needs children’ extract.
The two characters are talking about extracting Brendol Hux and his son Armitage from their current location, which is putting them in danger.
Really intense reading!

This explains why FO has such young officers.
@vaderito

Not highlighted, but I find the line about the "breeding programs" to be awfully creepy.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 21:06

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@vaderito wrote:OK, so A Society Penguin will finish the book tomorrow and post spoilers:

http://thesocietypenguin.tumblr.com/

For those that are interested in ‘The Empire needs children’ extract.
The two characters are talking about extracting Brendol Hux and his son Armitage from their current location, which is putting them in danger.
Really intense reading!

This explains why FO has such young officers.
@vaderito

Not highlighted, but I find the line about the "breeding programs" to be awfully creepy.
@ISeeAnIsland

It definitely has that space nazi, Lebensborn ring to it.... very disturbing.... Evil or Very Mad

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 21:48

@panki wrote:
Now I am wondering....could Finn be a descendant of Admiral Rae Sloane? Suspect It would explain Phasma being so attentive to him.
@panki

Wouldn't the descendant of someone like Sloane be treated a bit better, though? I mean, I assume the high-ranking Imperials took care of their kind, and would assure that the close relative of an Admiral doesn't end up as a random Stormtrooper.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 10 Jul - 21:51

@ZioRen wrote:@Darth Dingbat

I never thought Han and Leia (or at least how they really are and not how Kylo thinks they are) would be the biggest factor in Kylo's "sad backstory". I was always thinking and hoping that Snoke would be a major influence all along, and the tragedy comes in that Snoke's manipulation amplified any feelings of abandonment Ben had and opened up rifts between a family that never should have had them. That a kid with so much good in him got caught up in the darkest parts of himself because of misunderstanding and a manipulation-induced warped view of his potential and his feelings towards his family.

It does seem less and less like that's happening, and personally I'm not happy with it. Right now I can't picture a sympathetic twist really late in his life that's not going to make him look like just a brat next to even friggin General Hux. And I'm not getting "for the greater good" vibes from his character right now either.
@ZioRen

Not that I know anything more than anyone else, but I really don't think that the "Snoke in his head" thing is going away.  I think that the fact that it is being mentioned less and less as new products come out means that they are saving that particular tale for the movie.  Also, just think of how sympathetically they had Adam Driver play that part (as opposed to how Donmhall Gleeson played his).  They did this for a reason, and it wasn't to make him an emo brat.  JJ would not have been using all that "child predator-ish" language in the heavily curated documentary if there was not going to be a huge element of this.  Remember JJ is remaining executive producer.  He is not leaving.  Rian may have written the next script, but JJ and KK were the ones who hired him.  Hux got the Leni Riefenstahl treatment.  They are just giving some backstory in the books so he isn't born twirling his mustache.  Ben is the result of the Big 3 and Anakin and Padme.  They dropped the ball on a lot of things in TFA ... but the one thing they did not drop the ball on was with Kylo/Ben.  Always remember, he's their baby.  And a selfish "I want powah because Mommy worked too much" is nobody's baby.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 10 Jul - 21:54

@panki wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:What is this about desert rats, Kylo and Rey? I just returned from vacation and I must know!!!
@IoJovi

Welcome back...Hope you had a good break Smile

We're discussing how the upcoming novel seems to hint at Kylo being like Padme.... so that technically makes Rey like Anakin..... Smile
@panki

Rey is definitely like Anakin IMO. She is going to be tested like he was, but I think she will beat back the darkness unlike him.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 22:02

@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Okay, so obviously I don't have the book yet but I wonder...

Spoiler:
I keep reading in spoilers that Palpatine is looking for the "source of the Dark Side" (that was mentioned in Aftermath as well, I think?), and that there's a place on Jakku where something happened (?) 1,000 years before. And unless I'm reading those spoilers wrong, there are some archaeological digs on Jakku, in search of that whatever-it-is? (Sounds very Raiders of the Lost Ark to me.)

I find this very exciting - if that info is accurate, surely it looks possible that some ancient evil was indeed awakened or released? Whether that ancient evil is Vitiate or something completely different.
@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
You're definitely onto something there.....The ancient corrupting sith artifacts scattered around the galaxy that we hear about in different comics series indicates something really old and evil has at work...and the Obi-wa and Anakin comic talks about an ancient sith civilisation that got wiped out save a few artifacts being preserved.....there is the Mandalorean planet Concord Dawn in Rebels which is missing it's Southern Hemisphere due to war (Jango Fett's home planet)....we have our first space archaeologist Doctor Aphra who the creators say is modeled on Indiana Jones in the Vader comics and Palpatine storing ancient sith artifacts in a cursed ship in the Lando comics.... in the first part of Aftermath, Yupe Tashu has a demon sith mask he uses for interrogation and he talks about the ancient sith and old republic....and finally in the Vader comic, we are told about the eternal empire....

Didn't Darth Bane bring about the sith rule of two a 1000 years before (after the Thought bomb was used to kill all the sith and many jedi but this part is EU now).....which matches the timeline of the Jakku event? Also, Darth Bane is canon but his death is not.... what if they make a character who combines Vitiate and Darth Bane into one? Or there was a big Vitiate type bad who has been influencing all the Sith Lords of the past from afar, making them do his bidding?

I'd like to think Vader figured it out and he died before he could seek out the ancient evil and Kylo is trying to complete this task?
@panki

Spoiler:
That would sound plausible to me!

Re: Vitiate/Valkorion, the timeline of TOR takes place over 3000 years BBY so if Vitiate happened to be the "ancient evil", it could be that someone managed to trap him on Jakku 1000 years ago. As he can't be killed off (that we know yet), it would make sense for him to have been "contained", as it were. So another possibility is that he wasn't influencing anything for the past 1000 years, but then someone managed to release him from where he was trapped...

I think something like this would be quite plausible, with all the relic-hunting going on. People are looking for the Holy Grail (Indiana Jones again Razz) but then the Holy Grail turns out to be a Pandora's Box.

Btw, in another thread you mentioned something about a Latino Review article that said something about Palpatine being around in spirit form? Now I'm wondering if it might have been a legit spoiler but whoever was reporting it got their Emperors mixed up... Razz Much as I'd like to see Ian McDiarmid again in one of the one-off films, I doubt Palpatine will ever reappear in the new timeline. Destroying Palps was the one thing Vader did well; I hope it stays that way.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 22:03

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
Now I am wondering....could Finn be a descendant of Admiral Rae Sloane? Suspect It would explain Phasma being so attentive to him.
@panki

Wouldn't the descendant of someone like Sloane be treated a bit better, though? I mean, I assume the high-ranking Imperials took care of their kind, and would assure that the close relative of an Admiral doesn't end up as a random Stormtrooper.
@Darth Dingbat

That is true... but what if Rae Sloane started to question the system? Then they might not be so kind to her relatives....though Phasma does protect Finn from being outed (read: killed) when he showed too much empathy for his fellow stormtroopers....definitely nicer treatment than what regular stormtroopers got.

The other option is Zare Leonis....if the FO are so set on Bloodlines, Zare or Dhara's children would be prime candidates for kidnapping by the FO, considering his excellent record in the stormtrooper program of the Empire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 22:08

@vaderito wrote:
Pablo said there was no Sith in the movie which is why I think Snoke is evil that precedes the Sith.
@vaderito

It's possible that Snoke (or the entity behind Snoke, which I like to imagine there is because Snoke is so meh Wink) is indeed a very very ancient evil from tens of thousands of years ago...

But I must point out that Vitiate/Valkorion - the guy @panki and I have been talking about a lot - isn't a Sith anymore. He started out as the Sith Lord, became the Sith Emperor, but later evolved beyond that and turned his back on the Sith and the Jedi alike. He wants the entire Force for himself. His children were taught to use both sides of the Force in the KOTFE game that came out last year, which I think is an interesting detail considering that this seems to be Snoke's ideology as well.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 22:13

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Okay, so obviously I don't have the book yet but I wonder...

Spoiler:
I keep reading in spoilers that Palpatine is looking for the "source of the Dark Side" (that was mentioned in Aftermath as well, I think?), and that there's a place on Jakku where something happened (?) 1,000 years before. And unless I'm reading those spoilers wrong, there are some archaeological digs on Jakku, in search of that whatever-it-is? (Sounds very Raiders of the Lost Ark to me.)

I find this very exciting - if that info is accurate, surely it looks possible that some ancient evil was indeed awakened or released? Whether that ancient evil is Vitiate or something completely different.
@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
You're definitely onto something there.....The ancient corrupting sith artifacts scattered around the galaxy that we hear about in different comics series indicates something really old and evil has at work...and the Obi-wa and Anakin comic talks about an ancient sith civilisation that got wiped out save a few artifacts being preserved.....there is the Mandalorean planet Concord Dawn in Rebels which is missing it's Southern Hemisphere due to war (Jango Fett's home planet)....we have our first space archaeologist Doctor Aphra who the creators say is modeled on Indiana Jones in the Vader comics and Palpatine storing ancient sith artifacts in a cursed ship in the Lando comics.... in the first part of Aftermath, Yupe Tashu has a demon sith mask he uses for interrogation and he talks about the ancient sith and old republic....and finally in the Vader comic, we are told about the eternal empire....

Didn't Darth Bane bring about the sith rule of two a 1000 years before (after the Thought bomb was used to kill all the sith and many jedi but this part is EU now).....which matches the timeline of the Jakku event? Also, Darth Bane is canon but his death is not.... what if they make a character who combines Vitiate and Darth Bane into one? Or there was a big Vitiate type bad who has been influencing all the Sith Lords of the past from afar, making them do his bidding?

I'd like to think Vader figured it out and he died before he could seek out the ancient evil and Kylo is trying to complete this task?
@panki

Spoiler:

Re: Vitiate/Valkorion, the timeline of TOR takes place over 3000 years BBY so if Vitiate happened to be the "ancient evil", it could be that someone managed to trap him on Jakku 1000 years ago. As he can't be killed off (that we know yet), it would make sense for him to have been "contained", as it were. So another possibility is that he wasn't influencing anything for the past 1000 years, but then someone managed to release him from where he was trapped...

I think something like this would be quite plausible, with all the relic-hunting going on. People are looking for the Holy Grail (Indiana Jones again Razz) but then the Holy Grail turns out to be a Pandora's Box.

Btw, in another thread you mentioned something about a Latino Review article that said something about Palpatine being around in spirit form? Now I'm wondering if it might have been a legit spoiler but whoever was reporting it got their Emperors mixed up... Razz Much as I'd like to see Ian McDiarmid again in one of the one-off films, I doubt Palpatine will ever reappear in the new timeline. Destroying Palps was the one thing Vader did well; I hope it stays that way.
@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
It is possible they got the Emperors mixed up but does that mean an ancient sith lord's secret apprentice evaded death and stuck around? That would make Snoke a Revan like figure....

I still feel Darth Bane is going to feature somewhere since he is considered the Sith'ari and the only ancient sith Lord who has been made canon so far...that is another loose end they need to tie up somehow.

I wont mind a story where a Vitiate character influenced all the canon sith lords in history....Bane, Plagueis, Palpatine and Vader....

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 22:18

@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:

@panki

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
It is possible they got the Emperors mixed up but does that mean an ancient sith lord's secret apprentice evaded death and stuck around? That would make Snoke a Revan like figure.... Suspect

I still feel Darth Bane is going to feature somewhere since he is considered the Sith'ari and the only ancient sith Lord who has been made canon so far...that is another loose end they need to tie up somehow.
@panki

Spoiler:
Definitely. There's so much story left to be told, now that they can re-tell all (well, most) of it.

I expect Plagueis' story to be re-told as well.

Not sure why I'm putting this in spoiler tags, but what the heck. Laughing
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 22:21

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:

@panki

Spoiler:

@Darth Dingbat

Spoiler:
It is possible they got the Emperors mixed up but does that mean an ancient sith lord's secret apprentice evaded death and stuck around? That would make Snoke a Revan like figure.... Suspect

@panki

Spoiler:
Definitely. There's so much story left to be told, now that they can re-tell all (well, most) of it.

I expect Plagueis' story to be re-told as well.

Not sure why I'm putting this in spoiler tags, but what the heck. Laughing
@Darth Dingbat

That is true....it looks like we're discussing some big conspiracy Razz

I think they'll have a book or comic series on the lives of Bane and Plagueis for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 22:28

Reading all of this has my hopes up that the 3rd movie will have a plot where everybody has to go back to Jakku (you can just imagine Finn's facial expression of disgust).
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 22:32

@snufkin wrote:Reading all of this has my hopes up that the 3rd movie will have a plot where everybody has to go back to Jakku (you can just imagine Finn's facial expression of disgust).
@snufkin

*drumroll*

Episode IX: The Return to Jakku

IT RHYMES!
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 22:39

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Reading all of this has my hopes up that the 3rd movie will have a plot where everybody has to go back to Jakku (you can just imagine Finn's facial expression of disgust).
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

Ben's gonna have to face the music for the Very Bad Things he did the last time that he was there, especially if that village was camped out in proximity to his bae's home b/c they could sense her Force Powers. And it'll tie in with her finding out how she ended up there and the truth behind her parents' disappearance. May also see the return of Simon Pegg's Dickensian Space Squid (aka the most truly evil character in all the movies for being a pure capitalist) and bonus comedy from Finn about how he can't stand the place.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 22:42

@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

Ben's gonna have to face the music for the Very Bad Things he did the last time that he was there, especially if that village was camped out in proximity to his bae's home b/c they could sense her Force Powers. And it'll tie in with her finding out how she ended up there and the truth behind her parents' disappearance. May also see the return of Simon Pegg's Dickensian Space Squid (aka the most truly evil character in all the movies for being a pure capitalist) and bonus comedy from Finn about how he can't stand the place.
@snufkin

Maybe Rey and Kylo will go back to Jakku and make Unkar reveal where he found Rey....I doubt we've seen the last of the mean Blobfish since he holds the key to Rey's origins.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 22:46

They won't reveal major sith in the books and it's very likely that General Gallius Rax or whatever his name is is NOT Snoke. He may sound like Snoke but I find it strange that they would reveal him in a book that 99% of movie going audience will never pick up. Simply put, you don't leave ESSENTIAL information for books, comic books and other canon tie-ins.

Likewise, I don't think that anyone in the movies is related to strictly book characters. And I don't think that Finn's parentage will play any role since there's no focus on it. It's enough that Rey's parentage is attracting too much attention, we don't need repeat with Finn.

Yeah, Lebensborn is really nasty sith.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 22:55

@panki wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

Ben's gonna have to face the music for the Very Bad Things he did the last time that he was there, especially if that village was camped out in proximity to his bae's home b/c they could sense her Force Powers.  And it'll tie in with her finding out how she ended up there and the truth behind her parents' disappearance. May also see the return of Simon Pegg's Dickensian Space Squid (aka the most truly evil character in all the movies for being a pure capitalist) and bonus comedy from Finn about how he can't stand the place.
@snufkin

Maybe Rey and Kylo will go back to Jakku and make Unkar reveal where he found Rey....I doubt we've seen the last of the mean Blobfish since he holds the key to Rey's origins.
@panki

Yeah you don't cast Simon Pegg in that role as just a minor goof, he's friends with the director and wrote his undergraduate thesis on Star Wars and critical theory. And Plutt was supposed to have a confrontation with her at Maz's place for stealing the WF where Chewie* shows that he wants to be her friend by coming to her defense. It may have been cut for time/not being related to the story. But it'd be great to see that confrontation tabled to the 3rd movie. Unless she can just hop onto Ancestry.com to look up her birth records. But Plutt has at least know something, although he seems like he was perfectly happy to have her as child laborer/high performing indentured servant he could cheat and keep on the knife's edge of starvation in order to line his own pocket.

* between that and getting off of Starkiller, the only character who actually does come to her rescue is Chewie, which is kind of sweet.

Last edited by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 22:57; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 22:56

@vaderito wrote:They won't reveal major sith in the books and it's very likely that General Gallius Rax or whatever his name is is NOT Snoke. He may sound like Snoke but I find it strange that they would reveal him in a book that 99% of movie going audience will never pick up. Simply put, you don't leave ESSENTIAL information for books, comic books and other canon tie-ins.

Likewise, I don't think that anyone in the movies is related to strictly book characters. And I don't think that Finn's parentage will play any role since there's no focus on it. It's enough that Rey's parentage is attracting too much attention, we don't need repeat with Finn.

Yeah, Lebensborn is really nasty sith.
@vaderito

I agree with you on most of the points, particularly about Finn or his origins not being brought up in this book...I really don't want another Armigate as we had today.... Shocked

But we did get an important movie character related to a strictly book character- Armitage Hux being related to Brendol Hux, who only appears in books. I think Disney is going to do more and more media crossovers.....it is a lucrative thing to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 10 Jul - 22:59

Oh crap, so from the Simon Pegg interview:

Is it true that you wrote your undergraduate thesis on a Marxist overview of popular 1970s cinema and hegemonic discourses?

I did. The piece was actually called Base and Super Sucker which was a play on the phrase “Basic Super Structure”, which is a Marxist proposition, hegemony and consent in Star Wars and related works. Basically I was using Marxist modes of critical theory to address Star Wars. And the main thrust of it was that if you watch any kind of television or theatre or film that has certain kind of themes or opinions and you don’t critically recognize them, then you consent with them. So very simply put, if you watch a racist comedian and you laugh, then you are a racist. And there are various preoccupations and concerns that flow through popular cinema that reflect things that are going on in society, certain ideas and certain fears. The thesis suggested that by watching films like those you are participating in those fears and preoccupations.

What aspects of Star Wars did you apply that to?

Well, for instance at the time, in the late seventies and mid-eighties we were in the height of nuclear paranoia and we were feeling that we could be bombed at any second by the Russians, and a lot of films at the time reflect that sense of ill-ease, particularly Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. All those films are riddled with bomb paranoia and also with justifications for having bombs like that. So you have weapons like the Genesis Project in Star Trek, you have the Death Star, the Force, you have the Ark of the Covenant, all of which are fine in the hands of good people. Like the Ark is fine if it’s owned by the Americans, the Genesis Project is fine if it’s with the Federation, but with the Klingons it’s a weapon; the Death Star is a bad thing because bad people shouldn’t have big bombs. It was basically kind of saying that ultimate power is okay as long as it’s in the hands of the righteous. So yes we’re allowed to wield nuclear bombs, but they aren’t, that kind of thing. And also Raiders of the Lost Ark is the most brilliant one in that it’s saying “If you don’t look at it, it can’t hurt you.” Almost kind of like, leave it to us or leave it to the government. And Spielberg wasn’t saying that, but these things just float to the surface—these preoccupations that maybe if we don’t look at it it’ll go away. That’s how Indy and Marion survived all those avenging angels in the end of Raiders: they just closed their eyes. It’s indicative of how society was feeling at the time.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 23:42

More spoilers:

Spoiler:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/4s3q70/some_spoilers_for_aftermath_life_debt/?st=iqgnpxen&sh=444ff9c4

Some people have received the book early (I'm not one of them) and have posted some interesting information from the book:
The mysterious fleet admiral from the first book is actually a new character by the name of Gallius Rax. He was apparently in Palpatine's inner circle and was a big deal in the Empire.
General Hux the younger's first name is Armitage. He is the bastard child of Brendol Hux and a kitchen servant. Gallius specifically requested Brendol bring him to wherever they're going.
The Empire has managed to lose 12 of their thirteen Super Star Destroyers in the course of a year. One intact to a pirate gang (!).
The Emperor at one pointed stated Jakku was extremely important to the galaxy one thousand years prior and would be again.
The last basically confirms there is nothing random about Rey and Lor San Tekka both ending up on Jakku.
This information was largely collated from here.
Edit: Some additional spoilers:
Palpatine recruited Gallius when he was an orphaned boy living on Jakku 30 years prior to ALD (a few years after TPM) to oversee the excavation efforts. The Emperor basically raised the boy to be completely devoted to him. When Palpatine found him, he had a tattoo on his hand.
The Emperor was interested in a specific location on Jakku, not the whole planet.

From Aftermath:
"We must move toward the Dark Side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our maps was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and woman beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the Dark Side like a man looking for a wellspring of water."
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 11 Jul - 0:14

@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

@snufkin

For those of us who are in Team Rogue! Kylo and Rey, ending VIII with the two of them heading off to Jakku to find out what happened to her parents would be a pretty perfect ending, IMO.

I also don't think we've seen the last of Unkar Plutt. I suspect they put that glimpse of him having First Order ties in TFA for a reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 11 Jul - 0:30

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

Ben's gonna have to face the music for the Very Bad Things he did the last time that he was there, especially if that village was camped out in proximity to his bae's home b/c they could sense her Force Powers.  And it'll tie in with her finding out how she ended up there and the truth behind her parents' disappearance. May also see the return of Simon Pegg's Dickensian Space Squid (aka the most truly evil character in all the movies for being a pure capitalist) and bonus comedy from Finn about how he can't stand the place.
@snufkin

For those of us who are in Team Rogue! Kylo and Rey, ending VIII with the two of them heading off to Jakku to find out what happened to her parents would be a pretty perfect ending, IMO.

I also don't think we've seen the last of Unkar Plutt. I suspect they put that glimpse of him having First Order ties in TFA for a reason.
@ISeeAnIsland

The whole offer to be a teacher was asking her to run away with him. She didn't outright say no, so it could still happen. As with going full on Hux as antagonist/villain, it seems like it would be an awful lot of fun because those are the two characters he plays the best off of.

Plutt is such an a**! Because you see him deliberately cheating her on rations and then he casually tosses out 60 rations to offer for BB-8. So you know the whole time he could be paying actual fair market value for what's brought to him. He using his position of power to control the population by keeping them on the edge of starvation and line his own pockets. This where I read a comment in a review (can't remember where) that he's actually the single most evil villain in the entire series because he's operating as a pure capitalist. 60 MREs is a pittance of whatever he planned on getting out of the FO/Hux as payment for BB-8. However if he did have any knowledge about her having ties to people the FO were after, he would've sold her out long ago because his interest is only in how she can make money for him.  And he was supposed to worst if you can surmise from the novel being a previous draft of the screenplay - he sexually harassed her, was condescending/proprietary, and there's a line to the effect that she was afraid that he'd eventually try to rape her (shudder). They can leave out the gross rapey parts, but it'd be something if she has her showdown with him as part of finding out how her parents disappeared.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Mon 11 Jul - 0:49

@panki wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

@snufkin

@panki

Here's a thought:  what if Rey was not left with Unkar?  In the force vision, Unkar has a hold of her as a ship leaves (presumably the person who deposited her there).  But there's a time gap, however short, between them saying goodbye to her and the ship departing.  What if in that time gap, Unkar *took* her from whomever she had been left with?
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 11 Jul - 0:58

@Slade wrote:
@panki wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

*drumroll*

IT RHYMES!
@Darth Dingbat

@snufkin

@panki

Here's a thought:  what if Rey was not left with Unkar?  In the force vision, Unkar has a hold of her as a ship leaves (presumably the person who deposited her there).  But there's a time gap, however short, between them saying goodbye to her and the ship departing.  What if in that time gap, Unkar *took* her from whomever she had been left with?
@Slade

That would be a really interesting possibility..... Unkar seems the kind of creep who would get into child snatching..... Evil or Very Mad
But the person she was left with is unlikely to be Lor San Tekka.... in Rey's Survival Guide, she goes to Tuanul village to deliver messages for Unkar... Lor San Tekka would have recognised her if she was initially left with him. Maybe she strayed away from her family ship and was snatched up by Unkar?

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 11 Jul - 1:11

Child snatching would make her and Finn's childhood situations an exact parallel. Although what kind of parents take off and forget that their kid isn't with them and don't come back looking for her? Unless it was something like Vanishing (one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen).
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum