Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wending

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 10 Jul - 11:26

@snufkin wrote:
@vaderito wrote:@CienaRee Possible. Rey was abandoned on Jakku. That can be due to 2 things:

a) her family are terrible people

b) it was in a hurry because they were running away from someone with a good chance to get caught. They probably wanted to go back but something happened.

I believe option 2 is the right one. So it raises the question who they were running from?

LOL at

Spoiler:
Armitage Hux's mom being a kitchen servant.
@vaderito

After rewatching Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago in the past few days thanks to the discussion on here and reading about the influence David Lean's movies had on both the OT and PT, I vote for option 2. Because abandoned orphan with mysterious backstory and linkage to important character is straight out of Dr. Zhivago. And in that movie, it's a character played by Sir Alec Guinness who tracks her down and tells her the story of her parents. Which includes how her parents were under suspicion for their political stance/affiliation by a totalitarian government and ended up in hiding/on the run, leading up to her separation from them when she's a small child. There's several overt references to shots of Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia in her scenes on Jakku (in addition to her character also having obvious inspiration from Hayao Miyazaki's heroines), so not too out of bounds to think that there might also be elements from Dr. Zhivago also borrowed for her character. Ben Solo/Kylo Ren basically is Pasha Antipov/Strelnikov from the same movie.

In regards to who her parents may have been on the run from:

Spoiler:
1. The whole Luke killed her parents theory is just way too harsh. Sure if he killed them, that makes things morally complicated and satisfies the "Luke went Dark" rumors. But it also puts him far beyond the bounds of something she can get over if she's being set up to take Han's place as the outsider who allies and then marries into the family.  She's already going to have to go through some kind of resolution with Ben for having murdered Han. You add Luke to the list and basically it's a family where both have murdered her parents/parent type figures. At that point, she might as well get the Hell away from them (and stop returning Leia's calls) because that's a family she's not going to want to have anything to do with. It fills the "that would be Dark/Cool" or "that would make Luke Dark" dance cards, but it paints the narrative and any desire she has to ally with this family into a corner. Her big difficult coming to terms over a death has to be with Ben for what he did to Han.

2. The scenes with Snoke about the Awakening and "bring her to me" are outright lifts from the conversation Vader has with the Emperor in ESB about how Luke is the Disturbance and then the Emperor is like "I know that your kid didn't die with your wife."  So if they go through with that parallel, then it has to follow the same narrative logic. Obi-Wan et all were on the run at that point from the Empire and after Padme's death, covered up the twins' birth and survival.  So her parents would have to be in opposition to Snoke or at least being pursued by him or somebody affiliated with his Big Evil Masterplan™ And Snoke would've thought that she died with her parents.

To my brain at least, having Snoke/the FO (or even the KoR) being responsible for Rey's abandonment and her parents' disappearance/likely murder works better for Ben finally having the cajones to assert himself against Snoke and go Ronin.  He's already been privvy to her memories and pain over spending her childhood/adolescence alone and obviously identifies with that besides his whole fixation/infatuation with her. Having Luke being responsible just seems like it would be a dead end. Versus if Snoke is responsible (and maybe orders him to kill her a la the ESB scene, that's going to push him over the line
@snufkin

I have always thought Zhivago & Lawrence so boring, but now I will have to watch them.. study

I vote for option 2 based on the fact why would Rey's parent be going to Jakku? Maybe because of the secret imperial base there, maybe they intended to hide there for safety:
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 13:16

@vaderito wrote:If they were stealing FS kids than they wouldn't have a huge army cause FS don't grow on trees. And that leads to "Finn = FS after all" which we know is not the direction they are taking. You can't do "Finn isn't FS, it's Rey...oh, wait, he is too". Pablo said there were no indication that he was FS and explained that voices were voices/screams from Maz castle.

I think they meant that kids who were failing to show cadet/other warrior potential were killed cause useless.
@vaderito

I am talking about two categories of children here..... let me explain with the example of Zare and Dhara Leonis during the time of the Empire....Zare joined their stormtrooper program but when he showed exceptional talent, he was sent to Arkanis to train to become an imperial officer (this is warrior and leadership potential you are talking about). Dhara on the other hand showed FS abilities so she was taken away to be trained to become an inquisitor.

I am not saying Finn is a force sensitive and all children they kidnapped were trained to be Dark siders. I am talking about two completely different training programs.

In SW, everything is cyclical.... so I am not talking about the large numbers of children kidnapped to become stormtroopers for the FO under Brendol Hux's vision.

I think there are a small number of force sensitive children who were kidnapped and when they didn't show abilities, they would be killed off. After all, Snoke himself says he had other apprentices before Kylo and Leia said that Snoke watched Kylo from the very beginning. He must have been watching other kids as well.

During the clone wars, Palpatine made bounty hunters steal a holocron containing the names of FS children the jedi located around the galaxy and he tried to kidnap them to train as apprentices. During the empire, the inquisitors did this job for him and found FS children. I am proposing that Snoke is continuing this tradition.

Now we know Luke was traveling around the galaxy collecting lore and re-building his order with the help of people like Lor San Tekka... I am guessing that Lor San Tekka might have been helping Luke scout for FS children like the traditional jeid did but somehow Snoke got hold of the list...and Rey was on the list.

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 10 Jul - 13:18

@panki How does one make a list of FS children though? Did the parents contact the Jedi or did the Jedi sense them and therefore make a list?

AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 13:38

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:@panki How does one make a list of FS children though? Did the parents contact the Jedi or did the Jedi sense them and therefore make a list?

@AppleCrumble122

It was both .... for example,

1. Some parents would contact the jedi when their child showed FS abilities... the child would be tested and when this child was old enough, a member of the jedi order would come to the planet and take them away.

2. Sometimes, the unborn child would call out and be heard by the jedi who would again come for them (I have a feeling based on the new Aftermath excerpt that Ben Solo was one of these children who showed abilities even before birth).

Then there is a third group of late bloomers like Darth Zannah who the jedi didn't want to take because she showed no abilities but in a moment of crisis, her latent super powerful FS abilities emerged (I think Rey is one of these type of children).

I don't think parents felt they had much choice in the matter and had to hand over their kids to the jedi... so this was another reason people resented the jedi. In the Clone Wars cartoon, one planet with a FS race (Bardottans) even banned the jedi because they didn't like them coming there and taking their children away.

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 10 Jul - 13:44

@panki Very interesting! Thank ye kindly for that Smile. Going of that, I wouldn't be surprised if Rey was indeed like Darth Zannah and displayed her abilities very late.

AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 13:45

Goddamnit, am I really going to have to shell out the cash for the hardcover version of this book? Is Disney/Lucasfilm just a bottomless pit of greed? Do they want ALL of my money? And I'm saying this whilst trying to pick styrofoam out of my Kylo piggy bank's nose.

As for woobifying Hux, don't forget that outside of the films Darth Maul was a really complex and interesting character as well, with a sad backstory. In fact I'd even say Maul outside-of-TPM is one of my favourite SW characters.

The trend is clearly towards trying to understand what makes people tick as they try to function in a complex world with a morally grey political landscape. It's weird that none of this translated to TFA, though. Apart from Kylo, TFA was very black and white. There wasn't even a hint of implied grey areas. Evil was Evil, Good was Good, and then there was Kylo, torn apart in the middle. Kylo was super ambiguous, but nothing else was.

No doubt things are getting more complex and grey in VIII, but I wonder how grey it can possibly get - on the basis of TFA alone - without confusing the majority of the audience who haven't read any novels and comics and haven't spent time writing dissertation-length metas and analysing every time Pablo or Rian sneeze.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 13:53

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:@panki Very interesting! Thank ye kindly for that Smile. Going of that, I wouldn't be surprised if Rey was indeed like Darth Zannah and displayed her abilities very late.

@AppleCrumble122

The more I read about Darth Zannah's life, I do see some similarities to Rey...I cannot imagine them copying that story verbatim but they might take elements from it... for example, Zannah was considered non-FS, she was separated from her relatives as a little girl... her relatives were going to join the jedi when she fell off the ship and got stranded....also she used her name "Rain" and changed it to her real name Zannah when she became a dark sider... she used a double bladed lightsaber...... I don't think they'll make Rey a dark sider but she is definitely going to struggle with it at some point of time.

On a different topic, after looking at the page from Aftermath on Ben, it looks like Han is not troubled by Ben being FS.... or maybe he thinks Leia can sense the child's gender because she is FS.... confused

Last edited by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 13:57; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 13:55

WHOAAAAA, THEY'RE RELEASING THE TRADE PAPERBACK AT THE SAME TIME, AND IT'S PRETTY CHEAP ON THE BOOK DEPOSITORY (FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE, TOO):

http://www.bookdepository.com/Star-Wars-Aftermath-Life-Debt-Chuck-Wendig/9781780896335?ref=grid-view

ORDERING RIGHT NOW

NOT SURE WHY I'M SHOUTING
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 10 Jul - 14:20

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Goddamnit, am I really going to have to shell out the cash for the hardcover version of this book? Is Disney/Lucasfilm just a bottomless pit of greed? Do they want ALL of my money? And I'm saying this whilst trying to pick styrofoam out of my Kylo piggy bank's nose.

As for woobifying Hux, don't forget that outside of the films Darth Maul was a really complex and interesting character as well, with a sad backstory. In fact I'd even say Maul outside-of-TPM is one of my favourite SW characters.

The trend is clearly towards trying to understand what makes people tick as they try to function in a complex world with a morally grey political landscape. It's weird that none of this translated to TFA, though. Apart from Kylo, TFA was very black and white. There wasn't even a hint of implied grey areas. Evil was Evil, Good was Good, and then there was Kylo, torn apart in the middle. Kylo was super ambiguous, but nothing else was.

No doubt things are getting more complex and grey in VIII, but I wonder how grey it can possibly get - on the basis of TFA alone - without confusing the majority of the audience who haven't read any novels and comics and haven't spent time writing dissertation-length metas and analysing every time Pablo or Rian sneeze
@Darth Dingbat

A hard task I would say - due to the overall family friendly Disney vibe and limited time of 2 hours movie.
However if they succeed to meet the grey of ESB I would die happy.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 10 Jul - 14:35

@Mana wrote:Hux's story really saddens me. I can't even imagine what sort of backstory they've planned for the son of Han and Leia....
@Mana

I sincerely hope it packs an equal punch. I can just feel a headache coming on from possible future "EVEN HUX HAD IT WORSE" posts.

Sorry, I'm just paranoid about all of this. I'll like Kylo's character no matter what they do with his backstory, but I'm getting worn down by the Discourse™.
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 14:48

@ZioRen wrote:
@Mana wrote:Hux's story really saddens me. I can't even imagine what sort of backstory they've planned for the son of Han and Leia....
@Mana

I sincerely hope it packs an equal punch. I can just feel a headache coming on from possible future "EVEN HUX HAD IT WORSE" posts.

Sorry, I'm just paranoid about all of this. I'll like Kylo's character no matter what they do with his backstory, but I'm getting worn down by the Discourse™.
@ZioRen

I agree.... and @Darth Dingbat is right about Maul's sad sad backstory.... and let us not forget Palpatine had a sad back-story as well...with his father hating him and his screwed up love life.... look at Maul's sad little face before Palpatine kidnapped him in the new comics and turned him to the dark side....

If we start weeping for every character, the list will get a bit long Razz

Kylo at least has light in him, tried to stop the Hosnian massacre, didn't want to kill Rey, took 23 years to be turned to the dark etc....I definitely have no sympathy for Hux who was happy to turn genocidal to please daddy Snoke.... Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 10 Jul - 14:56

@panki wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:
@Mana

@ZioRen

I agree.... and @Darth Dingbat is right about Maul's sad sad backstory.... and let us not forget Palpatine had a sad back-story as well...with his father hating him and his screwed up love life.... look at Maul's sad little face before Palpatine kidnapped him in the new comics and turned him to the dark side....

If we start weeping for every character, the list will get a bit long Razz

Kylo at least has light in him, tried to stop the Hosnian massacre, didn't want to kill Rey, took 23 years to be turned to the dark etc....I definitely have no sympathy for Hux who was happy to turn genocidal to please daddy Snoke.... Evil or Very Mad

@panki Yep, pretty much this. I like the backstory and am interested in seeing more of it, but my sympathy for Hux is nonexistent because not once does he regret his actions, but rather takes pride in them. Kylo on the other hands does and will in Episode VIII.

Last edited by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 10 Jul - 15:04; edited 1 time in total
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 10 Jul - 14:57

@panki

True enough (and gosh I love Darth Maul!)

It may sound silly but I was pretty attached to sadder versions of Kylo's backstory, especially one involving lots of manipulation by Snoke (not enough that he's a poor innocent babbu, but enough to really explain things and make him sympathetic), but now that it's looking like they might focus less and less on that, I'm a bit worried. How they present his backstory will matter if they want to present him as redeemable to the GA. Especially after what he did to Han. And it's also a big part of why his character began to really hit me, though I know that isn't the case for everyone.

I already see people like "maybe Snoke specifically manipulated/groomed Hux too!" based on another passage from Life Debt and I'm like ugh, no. I can't put my finger on why that bugs me. Maybe because that feels like such a uniquely Kylo thing that loses punch if it's spread out over multiple people?

Haha ignore me, I'm feeling weird and sensitive today. Getting too many feelings over fictional characters again. Good thing I'm going out somewhere nice today to get away from things!
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 15:05

@ZioRen wrote:@panki

True enough (and gosh I love Darth Maul!)

It may sound silly but I was pretty attached to sadder versions of Kylo's backstory, especially one involving lots of manipulation by Snoke (not enough that he's a poor innocent babbu, but enough to really explain things and make him sympathetic), but now that it's looking like they might focus less and less on that, I'm a bit worried. How they present his backstory will matter if they want to present him as redeemable to the GA. Especially after what he did to Han. And it's also a big part of why his character began to really hit me, though I know that isn't the case for everyone.

I already see people like "maybe Snoke specifically manipulated/groomed Hux too!" based on another passage from Life Debt and I'm like ugh, no. I can't put my finger on why that bugs me. Maybe because that feels like such a uniquely Kylo thing that loses punch if it's spread out over multiple people?

Haha ignore me, I'm feeling weird and sensitive today. Getting too many feelings over fictional characters again. Good thing I'm going out somewhere nice today to get away from things!
@ZioRen

I'm sure the details of Hux's background will be restricted to novels and comics....I don't think we'll see it in the movies...hope you feel better soon....am sure we'll hear something more cheerful during SWC next week Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 15:08

@ZioRen wrote:
@Mana

@ZioRen

I feel you... I still have a gut feeling Kylo's backstory isn't going to be about a miserable childhood, though. Just because they told us Kylo felt abandoned as a child, that's not going to compare with Rey being "raised by sand" (yeah, thanks again for that, Pablo), Finn being kidnapped and raised as a soldier, and even Hux being thought of as useless by his own father. Hux's father sounds like a total psycho in his attitude towards his son - I'm guessing little Hux wasn't just dismissed, but downright mistreated as a child.

Han and Leia won't turn out to have been abusive and bad parents, and Kylo's childhood appears to have been normal (?) in other ways. Had he been kidnapped and/or lured away to be tortured and brainwashed by Snoke as an adolescent, the story would be different, but... that's not what happened. I'm still curious as to why Kylo seems so disappointed in Han in particular, but they're not going to wreck Han and Leia's characters to make him more sympathetic.

Something else will have to be the sympathetic twist in Kylo's story, IMO. And I still think the twist is in whatever happened six years ago and in Kylo's goals - why he's so determined in doing what he's doing. I know a lot of people don't like this idea, but I feel like if his backstory isn't going to be a tearjerker, it'll have to turn out that he's actually right in some way. Or at least started out as right, but then got in way over his head. In some way, he will have to turn out to be not selfish and deluded, but self-sacrificing.

If they end up going with the "Snoke was in Kylo's head all along" story (and that's not really the impression I'm getting from the Bloodline snippets of Ben playing as a happy child) or else "Snoke finally got into his head in early adulthood", then the story will basically be a mental illness metaphor. The mental illness tropes are certainly there already. It wouldn't be a bad story at all - in fact one of my earliest headcanons was that the trilogy would be a story of recovery from a metaphorical mental illness - but I'm not sure that's where the story is going. Not least because it would be a really difficult story to tell well.

Time will tell... I'm pretty sure that something will alleviate Kylo's guilt, though, and it'll be an amazing twist, whatever it is.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 10 Jul - 15:31

@Darth Dingbat

I never thought Han and Leia (or at least how they really are and not how Kylo thinks they are) would be the biggest factor in Kylo's "sad backstory". I was always thinking and hoping that Snoke would be a major influence all along, and the tragedy comes in that Snoke's manipulation amplified any feelings of abandonment Ben had and opened up rifts between a family that never should have had them. That a kid with so much good in him got caught up in the darkest parts of himself because of misunderstanding and a manipulation-induced warped view of his potential and his feelings towards his family.

It does seem less and less like that's happening, and personally I'm not happy with it. Right now I can't picture a sympathetic twist really late in his life that's not going to make him look like just a brat next to even friggin General Hux. And I'm not getting "for the greater good" vibes from his character right now either.
ZioRen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 10 Jul - 15:35

@ZioRen wrote:@Darth Dingbat

I never thought Han and Leia (or at least how they really are and not how Kylo thinks they are) would be the biggest factor in Kylo's "sad backstory". I was always thinking and hoping that Snoke would be a major influence all along, and the tragedy comes in that Snoke's manipulation amplified any feelings of abandonment Ben had and opened up rifts between a family that never should have had them. That a kid with so much good in him got caught up in the darkest parts of himself because of misunderstanding and a manipulation-induced warped view of his potential and his feelings towards his family.

It does seem less and less like that's happening, and personally I'm not happy with it. Right now I can't picture a sympathetic twist really late in his life that's not going to make him look like just a brat next to even friggin General Hux. And I'm not getting "for the greater good" vibes from his character right now either.

@ZioRen I still think this will play a factor, perhaps not as big as we originally assumed, but still. Anyway we still don't know the full backstory, we can speculate all we want but we're not going to find anything out until next year. So try not to let it get you too down Smile. Have faith in the writers and trust them to make his backstory good and make sense for the story and character.

AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 15:55

@ZioRen wrote:@Darth Dingbat

@ZioRen

Yeah, I understand. That's what I was originally thinking as well. (I also, like a million other people it seems, assumed that Han and Leia lost Kylo when he was still a teenager at most.)

I know some people say that maybe this is what happened anyway and maybe Kylo just managed to lie and hide Snoke's influence for so long, but... I'm not really getting that impression, either. For one thing, it would render Han and especially Leia even more clueless if they didn't notice any changes in their son over the years. For another, if Kylo lied to his family for years about his secret relationship with Snoke, that doesn't exactly sound very sympathetic, either.

At this point it's really hard to reconcile the different elements of it all. Kylo could be just a supremely selfish young man who turned as a grown-up for typical tempting DS reasons, but his conflict, his pain (and stoicism, as the novel and script say), his compassion and pull to the light, and everything we've heard about him as a child and youth point to a completely different sort of person underneath.

Or else, his fall in mysterious circumstances is basically about him "falling mentally ill" or being indoctrinated to religious extremism - both of which scenarios would have benefited from a more troubled childhood to simplify the story...

If I had to choose, I'd go for the "for the greater good" option, even if some things in TFA don't point to that direction. Story-wise, it would make most sense to me, and it's the only thing that would explain why he's stubbornly doing what he's doing though his life seems like hell. At the very least he seems to believe he's doing the right thing.

Either way - I've said it before, but it's perfectly possible that this trilogy isn't quite as seamlessly mapped out as we're all expecting, and that when we've seen VIII and IX, some things in TFA may make us think, "er... what was that all about then?"
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 15:59

@BastilaBey wrote:More Ben talk from Han and Leia

http://theknightsjedi.tumblr.com/post/147154069197/thesocietypenguin-thesocietypenguin-more

“Don’t you dare say he’s going to be a bandit . He’ll be an angel.”
“Nothing wrong with Bandits.”
“Nothing wrong with angels.”

@BastilaBey

Ben is like his grandmother... has the best of intentions and wants to help the galaxy but ends up making some bad decisions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 10 Jul - 16:03

@panki, I actually really like the idea of Ben not being a new Anakin but more like a male and FS version of Padme - idealistic, selfless, but with some seriously WTF decision-making.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Sun 10 Jul - 16:10

@panki That's what it reminded me of too! That's an iconic line from the prequels so I'd like to think it's not just a coincidence. Kylo even looks more like his grandmother than his grandfather, in my opinion. It would be very interesting if, like Padme, he had faith in democracy that was then failed for some reason.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 10 Jul - 16:20

I think that the turning point for Kylo was something to do with Luke (as Han said: Luke felt responsible).

As for Mr. Armitage: I do not feel compassion for him at all. Only for his cat. lol
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 10 Jul - 16:28

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
As for Mr. Armitage: I do not feel compassion for him at all. Only for his cat. lol
@Darth_Awakened

Mr Armitage is not amused:

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sun 10 Jul - 16:37

@BastilaBey wrote:@panki That's what it reminded me of too! That's an iconic line from the prequels so I'd like to think it's not just a coincidence. Kylo even looks more like his grandmother than his grandfather, in my opinion. It would be very interesting if, like Padme, he had faith in democracy that was then failed for some reason.

@BastilaBey

I'd love a story line like that too....am sure that line was placed intentionally in the book as a hint.... I can imagine him wanting democracy to work and Snoke pointing out its shortcomings over a period of time till he actually believed it failed..... Sad

@Darth Dingbat .... Kylo is definitely more like Padme... down to his fondness for cute FS desert rats.. Razz I hope reylo is anidala done correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 10 Jul - 16:48

What is this about desert rats, Kylo and Rey? I just returned from vacation and I must know!!!

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum