Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Piper Maru on Wed 29 Mar - 22:12

Sacrebleu wrote:
panki wrote:I'm almost 100% certain Kylo wont be the one getting the 'Skywalker special' for a few reasons...

1. All the characters who had limbs cut in canon have had them neatly sliced off....there hasn't been a case of an injury requiring subsequent amputation unless we go back to legends where some RPGs have people getting cybernetics after amputation....but even in those cases the arms were terribly crushed and damaged.... Kylo's arm injury is nothing in comparison.

2. If we go by the idea that seeds of things we will see in the movies are covered in other media, the person losing the hand is definitely female (the last person getting their hand chopped in canon a la Luke is a young and pretty female....so my bet is on Rey or Phasma being the one to lose the hand....or maybe LD's character, KMT or Leia.
@panki

Geez, I hope it isn't Rey.  Many people would point to the Skywalker special as proof of her Skywalkerism.
@Sacrebleu

"Skywalkerism" is my new favorite word lol.
avatar
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 830
Likes : 5978
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-15
Age : 26
Localisation : Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by fuhry on Wed 29 Mar - 22:55

panki wrote:I'm almost 100% certain Kylo wont be the one getting the 'Skywalker special' for a few reasons...

1. All the characters who had limbs cut in canon have had them neatly sliced off....there hasn't been a case of an injury requiring subsequent amputation unless we go back to legends where some RPGs have people getting cybernetics after amputation....but even in those cases the arms were terribly crushed and damaged.... Kylo's arm injury is nothing in comparison.

2. If we go by the idea that seeds of things we will see in the movies are covered in other media, the person losing the hand is definitely female (the last person getting their hand chopped in canon a la Luke is a young and pretty female....so my bet is on Rey or Phasma being the one to lose the hand....or maybe LD's character, KMT or Leia.

I'm also skeptical of Kylo having some big wide scar on his face and here is my logic.....if Kylo is to be redeemed by Episode 9 (and become a hero), they need the GA of all ages to see him as a hero (which a lot don't).

While I can imagine a lot of adult Kylo fans being perfectly fine with whatever scarring he gets (as the symbolism of the scar is important for them), I highly doubt the younger viewers are going to see the guy with the scary scar as a hero. A lot of kids like him right now because he does look like a handsome prince (albeit a misguided one). Having him with a whopping big red scar and a cybernetic arm is a 100% guarantee they'll be taking Kylo down the eviler and eviler path.

SW will always be first for the younger generation, and only then for the older viewers. So while I am certain he will have a scar, am sure they will make it thin and very aesthetically pleasing.
@panki

I wasn't thinking he'd lose his whole arm. I was thinking that if you saw him shirtless, he would have some sort of metal implant flush with his skin on the front of his shoulder, but the rest of his arm would all flesh!

fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 73
Likes : 283
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by jakkusun on Wed 29 Mar - 23:11

panki wrote:I'm almost 100% certain Kylo wont be the one getting the 'Skywalker special' for a few reasons...

1. All the characters who had limbs cut in canon have had them neatly sliced off....there hasn't been a case of an injury requiring subsequent amputation unless we go back to legends where some RPGs have people getting cybernetics after amputation....but even in those cases the arms were terribly crushed and damaged.... Kylo's arm injury is nothing in comparison.

2. If we go by the idea that seeds of things we will see in the movies are covered in other media, the person losing the hand is definitely female (the last person getting their hand chopped in canon a la Luke is a young and pretty female....so my bet is on Rey or Phasma being the one to lose the hand....or maybe LD's character, KMT or Leia.

I'm also skeptical of Kylo having some big wide scar on his face and here is my logic.....if Kylo is to be redeemed by Episode 9 (and become a hero), they need the GA of all ages to see him as a hero (which a lot don't).

While I can imagine a lot of adult Kylo fans being perfectly fine with whatever scarring he gets (as the symbolism of the scar is important for them), I highly doubt the younger viewers are going to see the guy with the scary scar as a hero. A lot of kids like him right now because he does look like a handsome prince (albeit a misguided one). Having him with a whopping big red scar and a cybernetic arm is a 100% guarantee they'll be taking Kylo down the eviler and eviler path.  

SW will always be first for the younger generation, and only then for the older viewers. So while I am certain he will have a scar, am sure they will make it thin and very aesthetically pleasing.
@panki

I agree with the first two reasons. I don't think Kylo will get the Skywalker special either.

But I don't think it would (or should) mean he can't be a tragic hero if he loses a limb or has a large scar? Luke is now letting his cybernetic arm show. And I don't think big face scars are a problem for kids, either? Wouldn't kids be even more accepting of people who look different? Idk maybe not all kids, but aren't kids often less judgmental about appearances than adults? Idk maybe I was just one of the weird kids who liked to love ugly, broken characters.

Though there must be kids in real life who might have face scars or missing/prosthetic limbs who would totally accept someone who looks like themselves turning to the good side. Idk it makes me think of that one badly scarred kid from the interlude with jar jar in aftermath empire's end and how he had a hard time with it and could've used some love, darn it.

But, sure, maybe the movies still aren't progressive enough to show that prosthetic limbs and ugly scars don't make you evil...the logic of the symbolism of "more machine than man" etc. makes sense, but I just don't like it. :/ Idk...maybe people could stand to be shown that heroes can be ugly and villains pretty more often. Or that losing your limbs doesn't make you less of a human being.

It's not that I disagree with the prediction. This scar discussion has been had so many times idk what the point of my comment is xD And I agree that Kylo will probably still look gorgeous and won't get any cybernetic stuff. It's just the whole convention of ugly=evil that bothers me, even if the logic is accurate. :/ and I just felt like lamenting these symbolic conventions I guess. lol
avatar
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 496
Likes : 2602
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Acritiqua on Wed 29 Mar - 23:17

I certainly hope TPTB love Kylo as much as this forum does. I love you
avatar
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 260
Likes : 821
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by panki on Thu 30 Mar - 2:47

Sacrebleu wrote:
panki wrote:I'm almost 100% certain Kylo wont be the one getting the 'Skywalker special' for a few reasons...

1. All the characters who had limbs cut in canon have had them neatly sliced off....there hasn't been a case of an injury requiring subsequent amputation unless we go back to legends where some RPGs have people getting cybernetics after amputation....but even in those cases the arms were terribly crushed and damaged.... Kylo's arm injury is nothing in comparison.

2. If we go by the idea that seeds of things we will see in the movies are covered in other media, the person losing the hand is definitely female (the last person getting their hand chopped in canon a la Luke is a young and pretty female....so my bet is on Rey or Phasma being the one to lose the hand....or maybe LD's character, KMT or Leia.
@panki

Geez, I hope it isn't Rey.  Many people would point to the Skywalker special as proof of her Skywalkerism.
@Sacrebleu

I'm not a fan of anyone losing a hand but they could always show a romance between Rey and Kylo, and then have her lose her hand towards the end of the movie- the hero has romance (Leia in ESB and Anakin in AOTC) and loses a hand (Luke in ESB and Anakin in AOTC) in the second part of the trilogy. A romance with Kylo or a clarification of her parentage by Luke would definitely dispel the Reywalker theory.


@jakkusun .... I agree with you completely about the unfairness of it....infact, I am okay with Rey losing the hand after seeing a recent comic where Vader slices off the hand of a young girl who tries to kill him but becomes a kind of daughter-figure to him....and I think having a heroine with a prosthetic limb is a progressive message in a world with higher demands of beauty and perfection in women than in men.

So far Kylo is with the FO, has killed his father, been linked with the jedi massacre (and thus destroying Luke's order), and now has an injury across his face and shoulder. The last thing he needs is a fake limb at this time- it will only reinforce the perception that scarred people are ugly and evil. Sad

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 2989
Likes : 10923
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 6:14

Regarding the 'Skywalker special', Luke lost his hand because it served a purpose in the plotline - in ROTJ he discovered his father also had a mechanical hand and it was the 'wake up call' which stopped him turning to the dark side - he realised he was becoming Darth Vader.

Kylo already has a disfiguring wound to his face and shoulder. Rey losing an arm or hand serves no storytelling purpose. I suspect the person in question could be Phasma, as already rumoured.
I just hope no one thinks Rey won't love Kylo because he's scarred - especially now with the popularity of BatB. Sad
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Acritiqua on Thu 30 Mar - 7:02

I don't think Rey is very vain. It's his character that she would reject or accept.
avatar
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 260
Likes : 821
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 7:16

Acritiqua wrote:I don't think Rey is very vain. It's his character that she would reject or accept.
@Acritiqua

Exactly but too many see her as the next Obi Wan.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 7:43

fuhry wrote:I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I wanted to talk about Kylo Ren's wounds.  People look a lot at the scar on his face and while that's significant, looking at this still:



I'm struck by the severity of the wound on his shoulder. The scar gets wider as it goes down (or thinner as it goes up, as I believe Rey caused the would slashing up.

The wound on the cheek is significant but does not appear to have sliced his jaw in two, though it may have partially cut bone there. But going down, it looks like his shoulder's cut wide open. You can see the skin on the top of the wound, but not the bottom - it's a huge gash. It looks like she cut may have cut right through his shoulder socket. In fact, I can't believe that he could lift himself up on that arm with such a wound. Looking at it again, it looks to me like he must be lifting himself up by his abdominal muscles, and his arm must just be dangling.

That looks like something that would require cybernetics to regain full functionality. That's some pretty serious maimage she's done.

How does that affect their interaction going forward? Putting a scar on his face is one thing, but requiring cybernetics is another. Is he out for revenge? Hard to make the case that she needs a teacher after she did that to him.
@fuhry

I'm pretty certain he'll be very angry at her at first.
But, if the rumours are true, she refuses to kill him. Which means she finds out something about him that causes her to feel compassion for him.
This could go a long way to changing his mind.

Those wounds make me wince...
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 7:51

panki wrote:I'm almost 100% certain Kylo wont be the one getting the 'Skywalker special' for a few reasons...

1. All the characters who had limbs cut in canon have had them neatly sliced off....there hasn't been a case of an injury requiring subsequent amputation unless we go back to legends where some RPGs have people getting cybernetics after amputation....but even in those cases the arms were terribly crushed and damaged.... Kylo's arm injury is nothing in comparison.

2. If we go by the idea that seeds of things we will see in the movies are covered in other media, the person losing the hand is definitely female (the last person getting their hand chopped in canon a la Luke is a young and pretty female....so my bet is on Rey or Phasma being the one to lose the hand....or maybe LD's character, KMT or Leia.

I'm also skeptical of Kylo having some big wide scar on his face and here is my logic.....if Kylo is to be redeemed by Episode 9 (and become a hero), they need the GA of all ages to see him as a hero (which a lot don't).

While I can imagine a lot of adult Kylo fans being perfectly fine with whatever scarring he gets (as the symbolism of the scar is important for them), I highly doubt the younger viewers are going to see the guy with the scary scar as a hero. A lot of kids like him right now because he does look like a handsome prince (albeit a misguided one). Having him with a whopping big red scar and a cybernetic arm is a 100% guarantee they'll be taking Kylo down the eviler and eviler path.

SW will always be first for the younger generation, and only then for the older viewers. So while I am certain he will have a scar, am sure they will make it thin and very aesthetically pleasing.
@panki

Good point but....

Disney's live action version of BatB is currently a box office smash, and with audiences of all ages. It's a love story of course which means it might be more popular with female audiences (although not necessarily), but at the heart of it the hero is an ugly monster. And he's the hero and love interest of the heroine. The Beast's appearance is far more gruesome than a scarred face,but he still wins the girl and has a happy ending. More importantly the audience is cheering for him. We even have a scene where the heroine calls the handsome,macho man a 'monster'.

I'm pretty sure that if a young audience can accept someone like the Beast as the hero of the story they can accept a man with a scarred face, no matter how bad it is. Especially if we discover that man has a tragic history and redeems himself - as the Beast did. In fact, it would be a good moral lesson for kids, particularly in today's appearance obsessed world.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by panki on Thu 30 Mar - 9:16

@motherofpearl1

I did consider the recent BATB movie when I raised the point that Kylo won't have a cybernetic arm or heavy scarring....the thing is that although BATB deals with a beautiful girl falling for an ugly monster, I didn't see anything gruesome in his depiction- he looks like a hairy bison-bear hybrid at the most....the ideal subject for making plush toys. If they wanted to, they could have made him a lot more hideous.

Cute

Not so cute

While I agree that in an ideal world, this could be an opportunity to teach kids a lesson about appearance not being important....society teaches us a very different lesson, be it the quest for perfection on screen or magazines. While LF might tread lightly into areas like compassion, diversity and hope, I highly doubt a commercial venture is going to dole out heavy lessons where a heavily scarred and cybernetic Kylo is the hero, especially during a holiday season film where parents want to take their kids for a fun outing.....not to mention how their action figure sales to small kids will suffer as well.


Last edited by panki on Thu 30 Mar - 10:46; edited 1 time in total

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 2989
Likes : 10923
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 30 Mar - 9:44

panki wrote:@motherofpearl1

I did consider the recent BATB movie when I raised the point that Kylo won't have a cybernetic arm or heavy scarring....the thing is that although BATB deals with a beautiful girl falling for an ugly monster, I didn't see anything gruesome in his depiction- he looks like a hairy bison-bear hybrid at the most....the ideal subject for making plush toys. If they wanted to, they could have made him a lot more hideous.

Cute

Not so cute

While I agree that in an ideal world, this could be an opportunity to teach kids a lesson about appearance not being important....society teaches us a very different lesson, be it the quest for perfection on screen or magazines. While LF might tread lightly into areas like compassion, diversity and hope, I highly doubt a commercial venture is going to dole out heavy lessons where a heavily scarred and cybernetic Kylo is the hero, especially during a holiday season film where parents want to take their kids for a fun outing.....not to mention how their action figure sales to small kids will suffer as well.
@panki

Especially as Kylo's appearance isn't his biggest problem... his actions are.

If the moral of the story is "a person can screw up big time and still come back" - and, as I hope, "judge not before you know the whole story" - it would seem like overkill to add "don't judge a book by its cover" on top of it. Compared with the Beast, Kylo is - at this point at least - more of an actual monster who does monstrous things; his "appearance" isn't physical ugliness, but that of a killer whose actions seem completely indefensible and irredeemable.

Adding physical ugliness as an additional barrier for the compassionate heroine to overcome would seem a bit... poinless. If the characters (Kylo included) can get over what he's done, that's already the biggest possible ordeal.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4063
Likes : 26402
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 10:33

It's weird but I still think Kylo's scarring is more for Rey's benefit - he's already damaged inside by killing Han, and that's a wound that'll never really heal. But whenever Rey sees his face it's a permanent reminder of how destructive the dark side is - because that's what she tapped into.

Whatever, there's a reason for his injuries. Why are they keeping his appearance under wraps?
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 30 Mar - 10:41

motherofpearl1 wrote:It's weird but I still think Kylo's scarring is more for Rey's benefit - he's already damaged inside by killing Han, and that's a wound that'll never really heal. But whenever Rey sees his face it's a permanent reminder of how destructive the dark side is - because that's what she tapped into.

Whatever, there's a reason for his injuries. Why are they keeping his appearance under wraps?
@motherofpearl1

Simple anticipation is one reason. His appearance will actually be quite telling, I think.

If his scar is really as unobtrusive as it was in yesterday's fake footage, he looks like a handsome but tortured Byronic hero, and Reylos will go "woohoo!"

If he looks like a half-cyborg with a cybernetic arm and eye (even though he wasn't blinded, but still many people seem to hope he was) and lots of scarring, half of Reddit will go "woohoo!"

Basically, it's kept under wraps because it will make an impact either way, IMO.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4063
Likes : 26402
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 10:55

Whatever injuries he's sporting I'm still firmly convinced he's going to be redeemed - especially now rumours are circulating that BDT might be playing Thrawn.
Here we have our 'uber baddie' so it's time for Kylo to become our anti hero/hero.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 30 Mar - 11:06

motherofpearl1 wrote:Whatever injuries he's sporting I'm still firmly convinced he's going to be redeemed - especially now rumours are circulating that BDT might be playing Thrawn.
Here we have our 'uber baddie' so it's time for Kylo to become our anti hero/hero.
@motherofpearl1

Thrawn? Where did you read that rumour?

I don't know how the Chiss are supposed to age, but Thrawn seems middle-aged in Rebels, and Luke and Leia would be the same age as Ezra, in comparison. And Mark is 15 years older than Benicio.

(Mind you, I'm firmly convinced Kylo is going to be redeemed, too. No doubts on that score, no matter what he looks like.)
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4063
Likes : 26402
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 11:15

Darth Dingbat wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:Whatever injuries he's sporting I'm still firmly convinced he's going to be redeemed - especially now rumours are circulating that BDT might be playing Thrawn.
Here we have our 'uber baddie' so it's time for Kylo to become our anti hero/hero.
@motherofpearl1

Thrawn? Where did you read that rumour?

I don't know how the Chiss are supposed to age, but Thrawn seems middle-aged in Rebels, and Luke and Leia would be the same age as Ezra, in comparison. And Mark is 15 years older than Benicio.

(Mind you, I'm firmly convinced Kylo is going to be redeemed, too. No doubts on that score, no matter what he looks like.)
@Darth Dingbat

Here
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/785604/Star-Wars-8-Benicio-del-Toro-THRAWN-The-Last-Jedi-Rebels-Ezra-Bridger-Man-in-Black

Of course it may be absolute Censored but with BDT definitely playing a 'bad guy'  and rumours that Laura Dern may be somewhat villainous there are going to be way too many 'bad guys' - unless one of them isn't going to be a 'bad guy' anymore.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 11:18

Darth Dingbat wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:It's weird but I still think Kylo's scarring is more for Rey's benefit - he's already damaged inside by killing Han, and that's a wound that'll never really heal. But whenever Rey sees his face it's a permanent reminder of how destructive the dark side is - because that's what she tapped into.

Whatever, there's a reason for his injuries. Why are they keeping his appearance under wraps?
@motherofpearl1

Simple anticipation is one reason. His appearance will actually be quite telling, I think.

If his scar is really as unobtrusive as it was in yesterday's fake footage, he looks like a handsome but tortured Byronic hero, and Reylos will go "woohoo!"

If he looks like a half-cyborg with a cybernetic arm and eye (even though he wasn't blinded, but still many people seem to hope he was) and lots of scarring, half of Reddit will go "woohoo!"

Basically, it's kept under wraps because it will make an impact either way, IMO.
@Darth Dingbat

There have been cybernetic heroes...the Winter Soldier is one.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 11:23

panki wrote:@motherofpearl1

I did consider the recent BATB movie when I raised the point that Kylo won't have a cybernetic arm or heavy scarring....the thing is that although BATB deals with a beautiful girl falling for an ugly monster, I didn't see anything gruesome in his depiction- he looks like a hairy bison-bear hybrid at the most....the ideal subject for making plush toys. If they wanted to, they could have made him a lot more hideous.

Cute

Not so cute

While I agree that in an ideal world, this could be an opportunity to teach kids a lesson about appearance not being important....society teaches us a very different lesson, be it the quest for perfection on screen or magazines. While LF might tread lightly into areas like compassion, diversity and hope, I highly doubt a commercial venture is going to dole out heavy lessons where a heavily scarred and cybernetic Kylo is the hero, especially during a holiday season film where parents want to take their kids for a fun outing.....not to mention how their action figure sales to small kids will suffer as well.
@panki

That's an astonishingly cute Beast - the live action version was way scarier!
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Force Ghost on Thu 30 Mar - 12:06

panki wrote:
Acritiqua wrote:Another question is if he will be redeemed. Given some of the concept art, one path I fear for Kylo is that he might become more machine than man... Sad

Adam Driver's remark about how it depends what you call living when asked if his character would survive Ep. 8 ... Suspect

It makes me wonder if he'll lose some chunk of his body, or simply become more evil but more in power and more miserable than ever.

The latter would be more hopeful than the former.

And it's mainly that villains in Star Wars on a whole don't do too well. Vader of course lost half his body and burned in lava. Maul lost half his body. Okay, I guess it's just those two.
@Acritiqua

I can think of an even worse situation that doesn't involve body damage going by legends....

- He might go seeking the source of the dark side (in case it isnt Snoke) like Revan and never sees Rey or his family again...only to return after centuries of misery and imprisonment.

-  He makes a sacrifice and takes on the burden of guarding a dangerous artifact and is therefore put into stasis to keep the artifact from being misused, again staying alive but not living. (this has been done in more than one story)

@panki

@Acritiqua
There's no reason to worry about the concept art. It actually points to Kylo's redemption. I was gonna post this last week but I had exams.
I spend a lot of time listening to different interviews while I'm working. Usually concept artists. Last week I was listening one of the artists who came up with Kylo's look and something he said really made me think.
They were told to create a character who's a villain and were told he's Vader's fan and wants to be like him, That's all! They came up with tons of different designs where he looks like Vader because they've assumed he would want to LOOK like Vader. But every time JJ saw their designes, he said he likes it and it looks cool "BUT IT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR" (but he still didn't want to tell them any details and left them completely in dark, probably to prevent any leaks) and so they kept designing more and more wrong looks until they were given information that he's Han and Leia's child. I'll try to find the interview again and post it here. He also said THEY (concept artists) were the ones who came up with the name Jedi killer because they weren't given any name so that's just how they called him. But everything changed once JJ told them more information and then they designed Kylo's look in less then a month.
avatar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1141
Likes : 4005
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Sacrebleu on Thu 30 Mar - 12:23

Force Ghost wrote:There's no reason to worry about the concept art. It actually points to Kylo's redemption. I was gonna post this last week but I had exams.
I spend a lot of time listening to different interviews while I'm working. Usually concept artists. Last week I was listening  one of the artists who came up with Kylo's look and something he said really made me think.
They were told to create a character who's a villain and were told he's Vader's fan and wants to be like him, That's all! They came up with tons of different designs where he looks  like Vader because they've assumed he would want to LOOK like Vader. But every time JJ saw their designes, he said he likes it and it looks cool "BUT IT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR" (but he still didn't want to tell them any details and left them completely in dark, probably to prevent any leaks) and so they kept designing more and more wrong looks until they were given information that he's Han and Leia's child. I'll try to find the interview again and post it here. He also said THEY (concept artists) were the ones who came up with the name Jedi killer because they weren't given any name so that's just how they called him. But everything changed once JJ told them more information and then they designed Kylo's look in less then a month.
@Force Ghost

Very interesting, how that one piece of information was like a key in a lock.
avatar
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 315
Likes : 1137
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by Armadeus on Thu 30 Mar - 12:27

Acritiqua wrote:Another question is if he will be redeemed. Given some of the concept art, one path I fear for Kylo is that he might become more machine than man... Sad

Adam Driver's remark about how it depends what you call living when asked if his character would survive Ep. 8 ... Suspect
@Acritiqua

I think it's more a case of if he does survive the ST, he will have to carry the guilt of killing Han, destroying Luke's dream, and the various other things he may have done in the five years before TFA for the rest of his life.

Imagine what kind of life that will be... imagine the angst and depression...
avatar
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1130
Likes : 3182
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : Seychelles

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 30 Mar - 12:36

Question is, he needs to know his father forgave him.
Whatever has happened to him, Kylo seems to have had a lot of sadness in his life. Everything seems to have stemmed from a sense of abandonment which is what he has in common with Rey.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1989
Likes : 8129
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 30 Mar - 13:37

Force Ghost wrote:
panki wrote:
Acritiqua wrote:Another question is if he will be redeemed. Given some of the concept art, one path I fear for Kylo is that he might become more machine than man... Sad

Adam Driver's remark about how it depends what you call living when asked if his character would survive Ep. 8 ... Suspect

It makes me wonder if he'll lose some chunk of his body, or simply become more evil but more in power and more miserable than ever.

The latter would be more hopeful than the former.

And it's mainly that villains in Star Wars on a whole don't do too well. Vader of course lost half his body and burned in lava. Maul lost half his body. Okay, I guess it's just those two.
@Acritiqua

I can think of an even worse situation that doesn't involve body damage going by legends....

- He might go seeking the source of the dark side (in case it isnt Snoke) like Revan and never sees Rey or his family again...only to return after centuries of misery and imprisonment.

-  He makes a sacrifice and takes on the burden of guarding a dangerous artifact and is therefore put into stasis to keep the artifact from being misused, again staying alive but not living. (this has been done in more than one story)

@panki

@Acritiqua
There's no reason to worry about the concept art. It actually points to Kylo's redemption. I was gonna post this last week but I had exams.
I spend a lot of time listening to different interviews while I'm working. Usually concept artists. Last week I was listening one of the artists who came up with Kylo's look and something he said really made me think.
They were told to create a character who's a villain and were told he's Vader's fan and wants to be like him, That's all! They came up with tons of different designs where he looks like Vader because they've assumed he would want to LOOK like Vader. But every time JJ saw their designes, he said he likes it and it looks cool "BUT IT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR" (but he still didn't want to tell them any details and left them completely in dark, probably to prevent any leaks) and so they kept designing more and more wrong looks until they were given information that he's Han and Leia's child. I'll try to find the interview again and post it here. He also said THEY (concept artists) were the ones who came up with the name Jedi killer because they weren't given any name so that's just how they called him. But everything changed once JJ told them more information and then they designed Kylo's look in less then a month.
@Force Ghost


Wow!!!! That is amazing information. And yes, if you easily find it, please provide a link. But regardless, thank you for telling us this. :-)
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3422
Likes : 15378
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by panki on Thu 30 Mar - 13:44

motherofpearl1 wrote:
panki wrote:@motherofpearl1

I did consider the recent BATB movie when I raised the point that Kylo won't have a cybernetic arm or heavy scarring....the thing is that although BATB deals with a beautiful girl falling for an ugly monster, I didn't see anything gruesome in his depiction- he looks like a hairy bison-bear hybrid at the most....the ideal subject for making plush toys. If they wanted to, they could have made him a lot more hideous.

Cute

Not so cute

While I agree that in an ideal world, this could be an opportunity to teach kids a lesson about appearance not being important....society teaches us a very different lesson, be it the quest for perfection on screen or magazines. While LF might tread lightly into areas like compassion, diversity and hope, I highly doubt a commercial venture is going to dole out heavy lessons where a heavily scarred and cybernetic Kylo is the hero, especially during a holiday season film where parents want to take their kids for a fun outing.....not to mention how their action figure sales to small kids will suffer as well.
@panki

That's an astonishingly cute Beast - the live action version was way scarier!
@motherofpearl1

The plush toy is cute and the beast in the movie is meant to be fearsome...but the beast's features also allowed for a furry, cute and child friendly rendition on a plush toy (which wouldn't be the case for the horror movie version of the beast I posted earlier Suspect )....similarly, I don't think the same would work for a figure of Kylo with a big scar across his face and a metal hand/arm.

I'll give an example from my own RL experience. I love the character of Kaonashi from Miyazaki's Spirited Away, so I bought a plush toy of him. While I am very fond of the toy, my better half thinks he looks really creepy and I would never keep it out in the open when my little niece visits (last thing I need is her crying and getting bad dreams Shocked ).





I think this would apply to a Kylo toy with a large deep scar and cybernetics as well- adult fans won't really think much of it but younger fans and some parents might not like the look at all when buying stuff for their kids.


_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 2989
Likes : 10923
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum