Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode VIII

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 1 Apr - 14:06

I love Kylo's new costume, and it is so very telling Rey is wearing black underneath her tabard.......
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Sat 1 Apr - 15:30

@motherofpearl1 wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@AceofWands wrote:
@motherofpearl1 wrote:
@Armadeus wrote:I don't like the mask at all. I get why they did it for TFA and that masks are probably a big thing with the Knights of Ren, but I'd just rather it go the way of Starkiller Base.

One of my biggest hopes for TLJ is that Kylo has no mask at all... from beginning to end.
@Armadeus

Me too.
Let's face it the mask has served its purpose. When we first meet Kylo we are intended to see him as a Darth Vader wannabe. Now we know he's much more. He doesn't need the mask anymore.
@motherofpearl1

Yes, however his mask is the face of the ST for merchandizing. In terms of branding, how are they going to do it? Use Kylo without his mask? I don't know, I think he'll still have some mask, and we saw some pictures from Ireland that showed him with his mask.

As to why the secrecy... well, it's to get people speculating.

Remember Snoke's appearance was also this big secret that was successfully guarded under wraps. And when he came out... nothing impressive. Luke was also hidden. And there was nothing impressive about his looks either.
@AceofWands

If the KoR fight happens relatively early in the movie (as has rumored to be the case), it could be that Adam only wears the mask for the first 1/3 of the movie and is possibly mask-less from the fight on. If that's the case, it would seem a little silly post-movie-release to have a masked Kylo on everything if he's not wearing the mask for most of the movie.

I am hoping that it's something like that... It doesn't sound like his new costume is enough of a departure from TFA to warrant a ton of secrecy.
@ISeeAnIsland

I did read somewhere that Adam found it difficult to see in the mask so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes before the 'confrontation'- how many bets he'll want Rey to see her handiwork?
@motherofpearl1

Yes we will see him unmask for the first time *again* in front of Rey and it is going to be fabulous. He will probably have some sarcastic remark while he does it Smile
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by bossbaby on Sat 1 Apr - 16:19

@motherofpearl1 wrote:I love Kylo's new costume, and it is so very telling Rey is wearing black underneath her tabard.......
@motherofpearl1

Yes, that is definitely on purpose. It fits well with SW's history of using costumes to hint at a character's hidden lightside/darkside allegiances.

bossbaby
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 1 Apr - 16:55

Years ago I remember listening to someone being interviewed on radio; they complained that 'Star Wars' had no substance - just hardware.

Oh how wrong they were....
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 14 Aug - 13:37

Yesterday my eye went lingering on the TLJ poster and I admired it for a few seconds. I have to say that along with the shot with flickering-lightsaber-pointing-at-the-audience in the trailer, it's still my favorite pic of Kylo for TLJ because while his expression is teasing that he might not be the villain anymore, it is still enigmatic. I am not a fan of the puppy eyes. I feel like I am turning into a fanboy, but I am a bit disappointed to get so much "poor sad Kylo" promotion. I told my Mom I would send her the latest pics from EW including one of Kylo with puppy eyes again. And I mentioned that I hoped he would also be "grrrh" and not only roaming through TLJ with teary eyes and pouting (he is Han and Leia's son for universe's sake, a born fighter even if he's also highly emotional and yes, has a patricide to digest and atone for). And my Mom had the perfect GA answer "Well, yeah, why does he have a saber for?" Very Happy Exactly! And a fancy one too. So yeah, I am a bit taken aback by the way Kylo is promoted. Anyhow, I just needed to say it and now I'll go back to my "emotional-but-still-fierce-Kylo-fan" corner.

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 14 Aug - 13:42

@SanghaRen wrote:Yesterday my eye went lingering on the TLJ poster and I admired it for a few seconds. I have to say that along with the shot with flickering-lightsaber-pointing-at-the-audience in the trailer, it's still my favorite pic of Kylo for TLJ because while his expression is teasing that he might not be the villain anymore, it is still enigmatic. I am not a fan of the puppy eyes. I feel like I am turning into a fanboy, but I am a bit disappointed to get so much "poor sad Kylo" promotion. I told my Mom I would send her the latest pics from EW including one of Kylo with puppy eyes again. And I mentioned that I hoped he would also be "grrrh" and not only roaming through TLJ with teary eyes and pouting (he is Han and Leia's son for universe's sake, a born fighter even if he's also highly emotional and yes, has a patricide to digest and atone for). And my Mom had the perfect GA answer "Well, yeah, why does he have a saber for?" Very Happy Exactly! And a fancy one too. So yeah, I am a bit taken aback by the way Kylo is promoted. Anyhow, I just needed to say it and now I'll go back to my "emotional-but-still-fierce-Kylo-fan" corner.

@SanghaRen

I know what you mean. I hope he doesn't pilot his TIE with that sad expression. D:
SkyStar
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 14 Aug - 14:10

@Skystar

LOL. Probably how he ends up crashing it onto Ahch-To - if it crashes there -, his eyesight blurred by tears. My boss would love it and use the opportunity to make fun of me again since he thinks Kylo is a whino and a wuss and I am according to him the only (idiot) who likes him. That's why I also have a small Kylo on my desk as a silent sign of protest. Actually, if there was a set of figures of Kylo stabbing Han, I would buy it and put it on my desk. Kylo killing his hero Very Happy I do have a T-shirt reading "Kylo stabbed first" but I haven't dared to wear it at work.

I feel quite sarcastic today. Not sure why. Maybe because it's grey again and it feels like September/October rather than August.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 14 Aug - 14:30

@SanghaRen wrote:@Skystar

LOL. Probably how he ends up crashing it onto Ahch-To - if it crashes there -, his eyesight blurred by tears. My boss would love it and use the opportunity to make fun of me again since he thinks Kylo is a whino and a wuss and I am according to him the only (idiot) who likes him. That's why I also have a small Kylo on my desk as a silent sign of protest. Actually, if there was a set of figures of Kylo stabbing Han, I would buy it and put it on my desk. Kylo killing his hero Very Happy I do have a T-shirt reading "Kylo stabbed first" but I haven't dared to wear it at work.

I feel quite sarcastic today. Not sure why. Maybe because it's grey again and it feels like September/October rather than August.
@SanghaRen

I remember previous season of GOT people were complainging on reddit that since Jon has been brought from the death he is too sad and somebody photoshoped him charging into attack in battle of bastards with a crying face, lol. I think Kylo really needs bad*** moments, otherwise nobody will take him seriously.
Hahaha, but figurine with Kylo stabing Han sounds genious.
SkyStar
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Mon 14 Aug - 21:50

@SanghaRen Kylo will absolutely need to do something bad***, because you can't win over the audience with pity alone, especially guys. I also hope he doesn't lose his sense of sarcasm.

I think the TLJ promotion is fine, but I truly can't stand the TFA shot of Kylo from the Snoke scene, before they made the decision to cover him up with the mask. It's so puppy eyes to the max it's grating.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Mon 14 Aug - 23:28

LFL: oh you were expecting EVIL!Kylo marketing? Here, why don't you have some Puppy Eyed Kylo, and a bit more for confusion!

We know he'll get his bad*** moments. I think this is LFL's way for making him seem more sympathetic for the GA so they'll slowly accept the plausibility of his redemption. If they marketed him all evil, GA would complain that that totally came out the left field. Tho I expect to actually see bad*** Kylo in the full theatrical trailer. Very Happy
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 15 Aug - 9:14

@Saracene

I actually like that shot of TFA Kylo with Snoke. I had it as a background on my iPad. However, I think it was the right decision to cover him with the mask. I think that scene would have not made sense in the flow of the movie and him having obvious puppy eyes in front of Snoke would be a bit weird. Even if Snoke senses his struggle through the Force, I would imagine that Kylo would still try to keep appearances.

@Rei of Sunshine

I don't know how much of the GA actually gets that tbh. In the US maybe, but outside of the US, most people will not read VF or EW or even see the BTS reel on YT because that's not part of their daily lives and if you don't push the information in their faces, they will certainly not pull it to them. The GA I know around here will see the trailer when they go to the movies or if it's shown on TV - too early for that -, maybe the toys and children books if they have kids - but so far there's no TLJ toy around and the books do not feature Kylo -, the posters if they are placed in public places or in general magazines/papers - which I have not seen yet, however they are available as US import on Amazon -, and written/verbal interviews if shown/published locally which I haven't seen so far neither. I guess we'll see starting September if they go on full international promotion mode, but right now it's rather quiet for the GA. They might have seen maskless Kylo but Puppy Eyed Kylo, I don't think so. At the same time, I suppose that the GA is not as picky and will accept what it's shown (or not) and move on. It's more a certain part of the fandom that needs to be convinced.

I suppose promotion of Puppy eyed Kylo could mean that they're leaving some bad*** scene for the movie which I would be really happy about. I just have an overdose of puppy eyes right now Smile
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 15 Aug - 9:50

@SanghaRen wrote:@Saracene

I actually like that shot of TFA Kylo with Snoke. I had it as a background on my iPad. However, I think it was the right decision to cover him with the mask. I think that scene would have not made sense in the flow of the movie and him having obvious puppy eyes in front of Snoke would be a bit weird. Even if Snoke senses his struggle through the Force, I would imagine that Kylo would still try to keep appearances.

@Rei of Sunshine

I don't know how much of the GA actually gets that tbh. In the US maybe, but outside of the US, most people will not read VF or EW or even see the BTS reel on YT because that's not part of their daily lives and if you don't push the information in their faces, they will certainly not pull it to them. The GA I know around here will see the trailer when they go to the movies or if it's shown on TV - too early for that -, maybe the toys and children books if they have kids - but so far there's no TLJ toy around and the books do not feature Kylo -, the posters if they are placed in public places or in general magazines/papers - which I have not seen yet, however they are available as US import on Amazon -, and written/verbal interviews if shown/published locally which I haven't seen so far neither. I guess we'll see starting September if they go on full international promotion mode, but right now it's rather quiet for the GA. They might have seen maskless Kylo but Puppy Eyed Kylo, I don't think so. At the same time, I suppose that the GA is not as picky and will accept what it's shown (or not) and move on. It's more a certain part of the fandom that needs to be convinced.

I suppose promotion of Puppy eyed Kylo could mean that they're leaving some bad*** scene for the movie which I would be really happy about. I just have an overdose of puppy eyes right now Smile
@SanghaRen

I live outside the US and the GA here can be very different to US and EU. In my country we get 2 types of marketing for Disney movies, both Asian release and US release, meaning we get all that Vanity Fair, and EW updates, whatever the US experiences, we get that too most of the time, especially in social media.

As for Asian marketing, I'd like to point out that part, it's very different with US and EU marketing, point being that the only TFA trailer to feature any hint of Rey and Kylo interraction was the Japan trailer which also aired here. 

Asian marketing has a different treatment when it came to Kylo Ren, and although the VF and EW cover US and EU for now, I won't be surprised that come September, Asian magazines will feature Puppy Eyed Kylo as well, because if there's any demographic that's super obsessed with Villain turned Anti-hero turned Romantic interest, it's the Asian demographic.

Meanwhile in the US, not to generalize, but most fans are interested in plane models and explosions, hence the confused reception of Puppy Eyed Kylo.
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 15 Aug - 10:32

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:@Saracene

@Rei of Sunshine

@SanghaRen

I live outside the US and the GA here can be very different to US and EU. In my country we get 2 types of marketing for Disney movies, both Asian release and US release, meaning we get all that Vanity Fair, and EW updates, whatever the US experiences, we get that too most of the time, especially in social media.

As for Asian marketing, I'd like to point out that part, it's very different with US and EU marketing, point being that the only TFA trailer to feature any hint of Rey and Kylo interraction was the Japan trailer which also aired here. 

Asian marketing has a different treatment when it came to Kylo Ren, and although the VF and EW cover US and EU for now, I won't be surprised that come September, Asian magazines will feature Puppy Eyed Kylo as well, because if there's any demographic that's super obsessed with Villain turned Anti-hero turned Romantic interest, it's the Asian demographic.

Meanwhile in the US, not to generalize, but most fans are interested in plane models and explosions, hence the confused reception of Puppy Eyed Kylo.
@Rei of Sunshine

I've always asked myself what was the Asian reaction to kylo Ren because they get these kinds of characters better.
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 15 Aug - 12:22

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:

@Rei of Sunshine

That is very interesting! I was looking at the posters for Kong: Skull Island recently and also noticed differences between Asia and the US posters. I found Asian posters with the characters in focus, which I thought was quite cool. Can't tell which country because I can't recognize one language from the other. So far in Germany I haven't seen any real TLJ promotion until now except maybe the trailer at the cinema, but then I haven't been to the cinema in some time now so I don't know if it's showing. I lurk sometimes by the magazines in the supermarket, but so far nothing to see, at least not on the cover except one in April or May when the poster and trailer were released. I think it's too early. I guess that Germany also has its own local movies to promote and so does France so they will start including articles on TLJ when it draws closer to the release of the movie. I have to tell my mom to watch out for magazines that feature TLJ in France and potentially buy them. I am honestly very intrigued about the angle they will take.

I am just looking at a movie magazine called Première I used to read some years ago in France. Online they have the TLJ news you can usually find in other online magazines. In the magazines issues themselves, I don't know because you have to subscribe. Maybe I will subscribe to the digital version - I hate to buy too many paper magazines because you end up having to throw them away. I have lost track of what interests French people so it will help me reconnect and reading a bit in my mother tongue cannot hurt Smile Maybe we should have a thread for the international promotion of TLJ, but then maybe I am the only one interested in the topic.

I just looked at another French (online) magazine called AlloCiné. They used the Japanese synopsis apparently with "The TFA heroes join legendary characters of the Galaxy in an epic adventure which reveals ancestral secrets on the Force leading to shocking revelations on the past..." I guess whatever sounds more thrilling... Smile

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Tue 15 Aug - 14:28

All I ask for is a kick a** force using, hot shot pilot, swirling cape swag, amazing lightsaber swinging, puppy eye in love Kylo. Not too much to ask. Wink Wink

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Tue 15 Aug - 14:38

From USA Today a new Adam interview and regarding episode IX here´s what he said.

Are you looking forward to returning for Star Wars: Episode IX?

If it comes, sure. I like being a part of those movies and the people you get to work with so if it happens again, great.

Are you guys starting to think Kylo might end TLJ in a state where the audience doesn´t know if he is going to make it or not?
That is what I am getting from his SW interviews... Remember when he said: Depends on what your idea of living is..

Oh man,  I don´t want to worry for two more years! Sigh..

Source
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/08/15/adam-driver-talks-logan-lucky/565134001/

tukicarreno
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcanary on Tue 15 Aug - 14:47

@tukicarreno wrote:From USA Today a new Adam interview and regarding episode IX here´s what he said.

If it comes, sure. I like being a part of those movies and the people you get to work with so if it happens again, great.

Are you guys starting to think Kylo might end TLJ in a state where the audience doesn´t know if he is going to make it or not?
That is what I am getting from his SW interviews... Remember when he said: Depends on what your idea of living is..

Source
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/08/15/adam-driver-talks-logan-lucky/565134001/
@tukicarreno

I honestly wouldn't worry: he can't really spill any spoilers, and, as he said in the Times interview, he doesn't really enjoy every interview turning into a Star Wars discussion, so it makes sense for him to be vague and shut down any SW chat.

It also wouldn't really make sense, given that he already ended TFA in a dire physical state (and I know plenty of the general audience were confused as to whether he actually survived). Leaving his fate uncertain in TLJ would be pretty repetitive.
Blackcanary
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 15 Aug - 14:56

@Blackcanary wrote:
@tukicarreno wrote:From USA Today a new Adam interview and regarding episode IX here´s what he said.

Source
@tukicarreno

I honestly wouldn't worry: he can't really spill any spoilers, and, as he said in the Times interview, he doesn't really enjoy every interview turning into a Star Wars discussion, so it makes sense for him to be vague and shut down any SW chat.

It also wouldn't really make sense, given that he already ended TFA in a dire physical state (and I know plenty of the general audience were confused as to whether he actually survived). Leaving his fate uncertain in TLJ would be pretty repetitive.
@Blackcanary
I'm pretty sure he's signed on for all three movies anyway, he's just being purposefully vague. No cause for concern. Smile
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Tue 15 Aug - 14:59

I kind of get from what the cast members have said about TLJ, that is could be stand alone. I feel like they will end it on a somewhat positive note, like A New Hope, but definite cliff hangers to go into next movie.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 15 Aug - 18:08

@Maria Antonietta

Well I can't speak for the entire Asian demographic, but what I've observed based on my social media circle is that most of my friends who are into anime and Korean drama like Reylo. Mostly girls ofc, but there are quite a number of guys too who are not sold on Reylated and thus accept the possibility of Reylo. The guys I've talked to generally judge based on what they explicitly saw on screen. Most are convinced that Kylo has the hots for Rey, but most also believe that he's iredeemable, because duh he killed Han Solo. [size=46]Men, Asian or Western, basically are not very different on that front. LoL! But I've also talked to boys, my art class students as young as 6 and as old as my younger brother who is 15. They think Kylo is pretty cool because he's the Legacy Skywalker. Two of my boy students think that Kylo died on StarKiller. My brother thinks he's related to Rey, though haven't formed any concrete judgement as to who her parents might be, Leia or Luke. But maybe that's because he's still at that romantically inept age. [/size]
[size=46]There are a lot of Reylo fan artists who are Asian. I've seen a lot of Japanese anime styled Reylo fan art around Pinterest and Instagram. Also, Gwendy herself is from my country too. [/size]

Kylo is pretty well liked I would say, villain or not. But the trend with most Asian dramas I've seen, when the villain is a fan favorite, he becomes bankable, and eventually becomes an anti-hero. He becomes even MORE bankable if he is the LI.
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 15 Aug - 18:50

[size=65]HMMMMMM...... [/size]

[size=65]In regards to the possibility of Kylo's fate being unsure at the end of TLJ, maybe by sacrifice or something like that... [/size]

[size=65]Do you guys think that this could be related to Daisy's statement that Rey will be emotionally wounded at the end of TLJ?[/size]
Rei of Sunshine
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BenOrgana Yesterday at 12:27

I've seen some speculation on Reddit that Kylo's fate is uncertain because of that shot of Leia talking to Rey on Crait, which seems to come after the scene of Kylo and Leia together in Snoke's throne room (?). The theory goes that Kylo refuses Snoke's order to kill Leia, Rey breaks in to save her, Rey and Kylo both fight the praetorian guards, Rey manages to escape with Leia but we don't see what happens to Kylo.

The Crait scene could be Leia telling Rey that there's still light in Kylo because he couldn't kill her.

BenOrgana
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum