Rey / Rae - is this a coincidence?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rey / Rae - is this a coincidence?

Post by Jakku on Sat 30 Jul - 13:48

I've been bothered for a while by the fact that our heroine's name sounds exactly the same as that of another character who is a major player in the new canon.  Admiral Rae Sloane is the viewpoint character of Chuck Wendig's Afermath novels, and as yet we don't know what happened to her after the Battle of Jakku.

Obviously the spelling is different, but the names sound the same.  Is there any way that our girl might have overheard someone calling out to Rae, and somehow have attached that voice and that name to herself?

Because I've never been convinced that ''Rey' is her real name, and not just something she came up with quickly when Finn asked her what she was called.
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Re: Rey / Rae - is this a coincidence?

Post by rey09 on Sat 30 Jul - 13:59

Interesting, I've always been thinking of Dosmet Raeh, whose helmet Rey wears in the movie. I would also like her true name to be something else, adds more mystery. And parallels Rey and Ren more, since Ren isn't even his real name either. Or Finn's name for that matter!
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Sat 30 Jul - 14:03

rey09 wrote:Interesting, I've always been thinking of Dosmet Raeh, whose helmet Rey wears in the movie. I would also like her true name to be something else, adds more mystery. And parallels Rey and Ren more, since Ren isn't even his real name either. Or Finn's name for that matter!
@rey09

It would actually be ironic if Rey thinks she's naming herself after a Rebel pilot but her name actually is Rey having been named after Rae Sloane who turns out to be an Imperial officer..

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sat 30 Jul - 14:05

CienaRee wrote:
rey09 wrote:Interesting, I've always been thinking of Dosmet Raeh, whose helmet Rey wears in the movie. I would also like her true name to be something else, adds more mystery. And parallels Rey and Ren more, since Ren isn't even his real name either. Or Finn's name for that matter!
@rey09

It would actually be ironic if Rey thinks she's naming herself after a Rebel pilot but her name actually is Rey having been named after the Imperial Officer Rae Sloane.
@CienaRee

Lol yea true, or maybe even some double irony! - named after imperial officer, but she likes the rebel pilot - which side of the conflict will she choose if she has the light vs dark struggle.
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Sat 30 Jul - 14:14

Ever wondered about Gallius Rax? Rax - Rex - Rey?
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku on Sat 30 Jul - 14:20

I'm just puzzled by what would happen if Rae Sloane ends up in any of the SW movies / spinoffs, because any mention of her name will sound weird. Either LF has no intention of ever featuring Rae Sloane in a mainstream film, or the coincidence is deliberate.
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sat 30 Jul - 14:37

It hasn't gone unnoticed here, either. As for the explanation, I have no idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcanary on Sat 30 Jul - 14:42

Jakku wrote:I'm just puzzled by what would happen if Rae Sloane ends up in any of the SW movies / spinoffs, because any mention of her name will sound weird. Either LF has no intention of ever featuring Rae Sloane in a mainstream film, or the coincidence is deliberate.
@Jakku

You have to think it IS deliberate, and makes me wonder even more if the story of Rey's origins is tied up with the remnants of the Imperials. Although the 'how' of that is beyond me!
Blackcanary
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 30 Jul - 14:47

I don't think any of these similar-sounding names are a coincidence - Rae, Raeh, Ree, Rax... and there'll probably be others in new canon materials.

Even if they're all red herrings, we're definitely meant to speculate about this, IMO.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 30 Jul - 15:53

It crossed my mind as well.
I thought the girl came herself with the name (she saw it on the helmet) - because she did not her real name.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Sat 30 Jul - 16:21

I love how names work in Star Wars....

FN becomes Finn.... FN could mean function i.e he serves a function for the FO and has no identity... then Poe names him Finn which means Finder in Norse.... and he finds Rey. He might even find other lost characters in the FO and free them.

Poe means a dandy or someone who is vain and Dameron means leader.... Poe has been advertised as an attractive person which explains the part about being a dandy or it could mean that he is vain about being the best pilot in the resistance....... and the Dameron part foreshadows his leading the resistance.

Rey could have many meanings going by this analogy:

- Rey could be a derivative of Rex... thus having royal origins. "Rax" means 'to stretch or extend a hand' so I am not sure of their being related based on this (they still could be related for other reasons).

- Rey could be similar to the norse God 'Freyr' who is the God of sunshine, kingship and fertility.....Incidentally, Freyr belonged to both the Asgardians and the Giants i.e. a mix of dark and light heritage.

- Rey is a short form of 'Raymond' which is made up of two words- regin and mund...regin means counsel....so she could end up being a counsular type of jedi like Yoda or Qui Gon who uses diplomacy over violence to win battles....and fighting would be a last resort.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 30 Jul - 18:22

Darth Dingbat wrote:I don't think any of these similar-sounding names are a coincidence - Rae, Raeh, Ree, Rax... and there'll probably be others in new canon materials.

Even if they're all red herrings, we're definitely meant to speculate about this, IMO.
@Darth Dingbat

I don't think there's any way that they're a coincidence. I don't think that they necessarily point to her parentage, but they do make me more inclined to believe that "Rey" isn't Rey's real name.

I suspect that it also ties in with Pablo's tweet about how Rey's memories of being left on Jakku aren't necessarily accurate.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum