Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 29 Aug - 17:07

WhatGirl wrote:Admittedly, I'm not sure I understand why Rey needs to have an important legacy to be equals with Kylo? He has rejected his true name. A lot of fans don't consider him worthy of being a Skywalker even though he is one. Rey's background is totally unknown but fans are willing to accept her as the heir to Skywalker, Solo, Kenobi, etc. She seems pretty amazing already - started off with nothing but has proven herself by making a lot of good choices. At the moment it's Kylo who's not good enough for her despite his title.

Also I don't think having a romance with Ben would reduce her to a love interest. Male heroes often have romances and the audience roots for them to get the girl. But when a heroine does basically the same thing, it diminishes her? I just don't see why there should be any difference. Love isn't a weakness - in Star Wars it is probably the most powerful force with the ability to save lives and redeem souls that would otherwise remain lost.
@WhatGirl

I doubt anyone here actually thinks Rey having a romance with Ben would reduce her at all - Reylo is why we're here, isn't it Wink

Anyway, at least for me it's not really about her needing to have a legacy equal to Kylo's, but about her needing to have an important story of her own, that's somehow central to the overall plot of this trilogy. And TFA seemed to set up a story that revolves around the mystery of her missing family. Getting them back has been the #1 goal and desire of her life as long as she can remember. If they're now forgotten, then Rey's story is in danger of revolving around rejecting her own story (her goals, the mystery of her origins) in favour of entering the Skywalker family drama. If that's the way it is... well, I'm not going to judge a story before it's told, certainly. But I would prefer if she had something that was entirely her own.

Sure, she might be the lost daughter of a pair of criminals who sold her to pay off gambling debts or something, but the more random and insignificant her origins are, the less I can imagine that central mystery having galaxy-wide implications (which is something I'm expecting to happen in some way).

But anyway. It needn't have been about family legacy or the importance of Rey's origins at all, if the story hadn't been set up that way. Nobody cares about Padmé's origins. Like I said in my example above, the Padmé trilogy would have been about the heroism of political idealism. Political idealism was set up as being a defining characteristic of Padmé from the get-go. Rey's defining characteristic is her loyalty to a mysterious missing family.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4074
Likes : 26468
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 29 Aug - 17:24

Darth Dingbat wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:Admittedly, I'm not sure I understand why Rey needs to have an important legacy to be equals with Kylo? He has rejected his true name. A lot of fans don't consider him worthy of being a Skywalker even though he is one. Rey's background is totally unknown but fans are willing to accept her as the heir to Skywalker, Solo, Kenobi, etc. She seems pretty amazing already - started off with nothing but has proven herself by making a lot of good choices. At the moment it's Kylo who's not good enough for her despite his title.

Also I don't think having a romance with Ben would reduce her to a love interest. Male heroes often have romances and the audience roots for them to get the girl. But when a heroine does basically the same thing, it diminishes her? I just don't see why there should be any difference. Love isn't a weakness - in Star Wars it is probably the most powerful force with the ability to save lives and redeem souls that would otherwise remain lost.
@WhatGirl

I doubt anyone here actually thinks Rey having a romance with Ben would reduce her at all - Reylo is why we're here, isn't it Wink

Anyway, at least for me it's not really about her needing to have a legacy equal to Kylo's, but about her needing to have an important story of her own, that's somehow central to the overall plot of this trilogy. And TFA seemed to set up a story that revolves around the mystery of her missing family. Getting them back has been the #1 goal and desire of her life as long as she can remember. If they're now forgotten, then Rey's story is in danger of revolving around rejecting her own story (her goals, the mystery of her origins) in favour of entering the Skywalker family drama. If that's the way it is... well, I'm not going to judge a story before it's told, certainly. But I would prefer if she had something that was entirely her own.

Sure, she might be the lost daughter of a pair of criminals who sold her to pay off gambling debts or something, but the more random and insignificant her origins are, the less I can imagine that central mystery having galaxy-wide implications (which is something I'm expecting to happen in some way).

But anyway. It needn't have been about family legacy or the importance of Rey's origins at all, if the story hadn't been set up that way. Nobody cares about Padmé's origins. Like I said in my example above, the Padmé trilogy would have been about the heroism of political idealism. Political idealism was set up as being a defining characteristic of Padmé from the get-go. Rey's defining characteristic is her loyalty to a mysterious missing family.
@Darth Dingbat

But why not, something of importance... I think @gemini's original post on the subject was the male hero's in saga's usually have a secret inheritance or legacy of importance, which is almost always both a gift and a curse i.e. Luke.
avatar
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2407
Likes : 5558
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by panki on Mon 29 Aug - 18:07

@Darth Dingbat

I'm actually okay with Rey not having famous parents or grandparents as long as the backstory of her family is interesting... for instance, I remember reading about how we will get to learn about other types of force users- so if Rey is the child of one such family.... or belongs to some ancient line of force priests/jedi....or maybe she is a lost princess...or dark jedi/sith....or maybe they'll make Altisian jedi canon (jedi who are allowed to marry)..... those stories would still make her important to the galaxy in general and give her an important legacy.

Also, the most important force prodigy of the SW universe came from unknown and humble origins and yet his legacy is still felt in the saga till date- Anakin Skywalker.

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3004
Likes : 10992
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 29 Aug - 18:20

WhatGirl wrote:Admittedly, I'm not sure I understand why Rey needs to have an important legacy to be equals with Kylo? He has rejected his true name. A lot of fans don't consider him worthy of being a Skywalker even though he is one. Rey's background is totally unknown but fans are willing to accept her as the heir to Skywalker, Solo, Kenobi, etc. She seems pretty amazing already - started off with nothing but has proven herself by making a lot of good choices. At the moment it's Kylo who's not good enough for her despite his title.

Also I don't think having a romance with Ben would reduce her to a love interest. Male heroes often have romances and the audience roots for them to get the girl. But when a heroine does basically the same thing, it diminishes her? I just don't see why there should be any difference. Love isn't a weakness - in Star Wars it is probably the most powerful force with the ability to save lives and redeem souls that would otherwise remain lost.
@WhatGirl
I also think that people occasionally overlook the fact that Rey is not Kylo's "love-interest", he's hers. She's the main character. The story is going to revolve around her coming-of-age more than anything, and while Kylo is surely going to play a big part of that, narratives with female protagonists are fundamentally different. A lot of fans (many of them Reywalkers) still look at Rey as "the girl", but she's not "the girl", she's "the hero." Big difference. The same rules do not apply.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2921
Likes : 26358
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by MindAndMagic on Mon 29 Aug - 18:30

I think audiences, especially die-hard fanboys, are not used to female-driven narratives in blockbuster Hollywood productions, which is why so many fail to pick up on tropes, etc. It's still a coming-of-age journey, but with different specifics. I reckon the writers have something pretty substantial up their sleeves for our heroine, Rey has a big role to play in the context of the whole galaxy, which, to me at least, puts her above any particular bloodline.
I don't really look at Kylo and Rey's stories as entirely separate. They are intertwined because the narrative led to them meeting and influencing each other. I don't compare the importance of their origins, they are interesting in their own right.

Each of them has a past, but they're positioned to develop together in the future. The two stories will converge in some way IMO. A circumstance (the map) brought them together and now we will see this fascinating dynamic evolve in VIII and IX. So different on the surface yet so similar at the same time.





Last edited by Queen of the Knights on Thu 15 Sep - 17:17; edited 9 times in total
avatar
MindAndMagic
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 384
Likes : 3800
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-22
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 29 Aug - 18:32

panki wrote:@Darth Dingbat

I'm actually okay with Rey not having famous parents or grandparents as long as the backstory of her family is interesting... for instance, I remember reading about how we will get to learn about other types of force users- so if Rey is the child of one such family.... or belongs to some ancient line of force priests/jedi....or maybe she is a lost princess...or dark jedi/sith....or maybe they'll make Altisian jedi canon (jedi who are allowed to marry)..... those stories would still make her important to the galaxy in general and give her an important legacy.

Also, the most important force prodigy of the SW universe came from unknown and humble origins and yet his legacy is still felt in the saga till date- Anakin Skywalker.
@panki

Yeah, that's true - whatever Rey's origins are, as long as the story is interesting and the story of her origins is somehow of central significance to the story of the ST, I'm sure I'll be satisfied.

Though I guess there's a difference between deceptively humble origins like Anakin's (looks like a slave; is Chosen One in reality) and between origins so humble they don't matter at all. In Anakin's case, the deceptively humble origins were the point, and I don't expect them to repeat that with Rey. (Though I guess one could argue they already have: deceptively humble scavenger turns out to be something super special...)
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4074
Likes : 26468
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 29 Aug - 18:37

Queen of the Knights wrote:I think audiences, especially die-hard fanboys, are not used to female-driven narratives in blockbuster Hollywood productions, which is why so many fail to pick up on tropes, etc. It's still a coming-of-age journey with different specifics, but there is no doubt that Rey is our heroine whose journey we follow. I reckon the writers have something pretty substantial up their sleeves, Rey has a big role to play in the context of the whole galaxy, which, to me at least, puts her above any particular bloodline.
I don't really look at Kylo and Rey's stories as entirely separate. They are intertwined because the narrative led to them meeting and influencing each other. I don't compare the importance of the origins, they are interesting as characters of modern times in their own right.
@Queen of the Knights

They're definitely not separate, but Kylo has his own mysterious backstory, Rey has hers, and the narrative drives them to intertwine. I expect they both have something that is their own.

I mean... I guess I see it like - their individual stories are not about each other, but they're a major part of the resolution of each other's stories.

Or at least, that's how I suspect it will go. Who knows really.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4074
Likes : 26468
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by vaderito on Mon 29 Aug - 18:58

Outside of various agendas that have nothing to do with what's in the movie (eg. Reywalker stops Reylo), I think that this is what happened. Stories like SW are driven by dynamics between the hero(ine) and the villain(ess). So most important relationship is between those two characters. In OT, hero's Luke and villain's vader so that's the most important relationship.

However, because they are also father and son, it somehow became "father and child is the most important relationship, therefore, since KK said SW was Skywalker story, most important relationship in ST is between Rey and her father, Luke." No, it's actually relationship between the heroine and the villain, and from that POV you see that they cannot be cousins cause it's lame and senseless (we know 100% that they are not siblings because that's in the movie, confirmed). But you can't explain that to crowd that obviously wasn't taken by new characters enough to want them to be the main characters. So they view Luke as the main character and therefore his relationship with his daughter is the most important one. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8272
Likes : 39516
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by CienaRee on Mon 29 Aug - 21:23

vaderito wrote:Outside of various agendas that have nothing to do with what's in the movie (eg. Reywalker stops Reylo), I think that this is what happened. Stories like SW are driven by dynamics between the hero(ine) and the villain(ess). So most important relationship is between those two characters. In OT, hero's Luke and villain's vader so that's the most important relationship.

However, because they are also father and son, it somehow became "father and child is the most important relationship, therefore, since KK said SW was Skywalker story, most important relationship in ST is between Rey and her father, Luke." No, it's actually relationship between the heroine and the villain, and from that POV you see that they cannot be cousins cause it's lame and senseless (we know 100% that they are not siblings because that's in the movie, confirmed). But you can't explain that to crowd that obviously wasn't taken by new characters enough to want them to be the main characters. So they view Luke as the main character and therefore his relationship with his daughter is the most important one. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
@vaderito

Oh,yeah deffinatly.I was watching a podcast on youtube  today by CollidorVideos and they disscused brifely the Rewyalker thing because someone asked them would they be dissapointed if Rey turned out to be Luke's daughter after all and they think the line can't end with Ben Solo so there either has to be another Skywalker kid or Rey has to be connected to the Skywalkers somehow because the line can't end with Ben Solo and him being redeemed would be very cliche and they hoped he stayed evil because that would be more in line with Anakin.They also think it's the continuation of Luke Skywalker's story because the SW saga is about the Skywalkers(granted one of the guys did say that if done well he can accept a redemption arc he just couldn't imagne how it can happen after he killed his father).:
Here's the vid if anyone's interested(just fatforward to 1:06 min):

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 972
Likes : 4816
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 29 Aug - 21:46

Anybody "hoping" Kylo stays evil doesn't understand just how conflict-free and stakeless the story they're asking for would be. They think they would get Joker-Kylo who cackles like Palpatine (which they think would be "original"), but that's not the character they introduced in TFA at all, and it never will be. They want a different character altogether, which absolutely sucks because the one they got is interesting, has depth and tons of potential for engaging, heart-filled character development. And he's Han and Leia's kid (amazing how many people conveniently forget that). I understand that people have different interests, but why any moviegoer would want to sit down and watch six more hours of broody, evil Kylo completely boggles my mind. How boring, how utterly pointless, how depressing. Where is the story in that? Like, lol? I would rather watch water evaporate.

Fans are too quick to discount possibilities because of their own personal opinions and interpretations. They think they could never forgive Kylo (which has absolutely nothing to do with him redeeming himself, but whatever), so they declare it cannot be done. They'll be surprised by how much storytellers can get done in the span of two films.

It's also pretty amazing to me that they can't understand how Rey would fit into the story if she isn't related to Luke. Well, that's the question they should be asking themselves. And again, they're too quick to discount some of the most logical (although difficult to accept) potential story directions. If Rey is not a Skywalker/Solo (which she is not, as was confirmed by the film itself) then how does she fit into this story? Well, by integrating herself into the family by possibly playing student to Luke (and more importantly, by inspiring Kylo to embrace his true self). It just makes so much sense. It's Anakin and Padme with Padme as the protagonist, it's dark to light rather than light to dark. But no, fans would rather theorize about Rey being a reincarnation/hand clone.


Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 29 Aug - 21:55; edited 1 time in total
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2921
Likes : 26358
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by MindAndMagic on Mon 29 Aug - 21:46

[quote="CienaRee"]
him being redeemed would be very cliche and they hoped he stayed evil because that would be more in line with Anakin.They also think it's the continuation of Luke Skywalker's story because the SW saga is about the Skywalkers(granted one of the guys did say that if done well he can accept a redemption arc he just couldn't imagne how it can happen after he killed his father).
@CienaRee

More in line with Anakin? Whose journey is the epitome of redemption through sacrifice? Unless they've forgotten that Anakin in RotS and Vader in RotJ are the same character, this doesn't make sense. The Skywalker legacy child can't and won't die unredeemed because it goes against all what SW stands for. I think this is one of the reasons they discarded that EU plot. At least it's good that they're open-minded.

On a further note, I respect everyone's right of opinion, but this is not a continuation of the OT characters' storylines. @''MyOnlyHope'' said it really well. The ST is about a new generation of fans, with new story and characters that reflect the modern age, compelling, conflicted, multidimensional and relatable. The parent and child dynamic, which was at the core of the OT, is no longer applicable. OT enthusiasts have to let go of their nostalgic feelings and realise that this is no longer Luke' story, no matter how much we all love him. It's Rey's hero journey, which gives fans a chance to experience the SW universe from an entirely different perspective.
avatar
MindAndMagic
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 384
Likes : 3800
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-22
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by BastilaBey on Mon 29 Aug - 21:54

The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means. That right there tells you where his arc is going - this is the first film in the trilogy, not the climax. But if you're not really thinking about things in terms of narrative structure, and going on your personal attachments to the OT characters, perhaps you just think he's lost to the dark forever now he's killed Han.

Saw this piece earlier and it summarizes it pretty well, basically what plenty of us have been saying since December
https://narrativeninja.tumblr.com/post/148859543811/kylo-ren-as-a-tragic-hero-and-why-a-turning-point

So many fans are still not recognizing Kylo's importance to the story. Which is crazy because even if they are thinking he's the new Vader...Vader was hella important. So what, do they want him to be Darth Maul or Dooku? Shocked
avatar
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2351
Likes : 23487
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by CienaRee on Mon 29 Aug - 21:57

Queen of the Knights wrote:
CienaRee wrote:
him being redeemed would be very cliche and they hoped he stayed evil because that would be more in line with Anakin.They also think it's the continuation of Luke Skywalker's story because the SW saga is about the Skywalkers(granted one of the guys did say that if done well he can accept a redemption arc he just couldn't imagne how it can happen after he killed his father).
@CienaRee

More in line with Anakin? Whose journey is the epitome of redemption through sacrifice? Unless they've forgotten that Anakin in RotS and Vader in RotJ are the same character, this doesn't make sense. The Skywalker legacy child can't and won't die unredeemed because it goes against all what SW stands for. I think this is one of the reasons they discarded that EU plot. At least it's good that they're open-minded.

On a further note, I respect everyone's right of opinion, but this is not a continuation of the OT characters' storylines. @''MyOnlyHope'' said it really well. The ST is about a new generation of fans, with new story and characters that reflect the modern age, compelling, conflicted, multidimensional and relatable. The parent and child dynamic, which was at the core of the OT, is no longer applicable. OT enthusiasts have to let go of their nostalgic feelings and realise that this is no longer Luke' story, no matter how much we all love him. It's Rey's hero journey, which gives fans a chance to experience the SW universe from an entirely different perspective.
@Queen of the Knights
Right?That's what I was thinking as well. Laughing
Plus they did an unredeemed Solo/Skywalker villian with Jacen Solo which was frankly very depressing not only because Han and Leia had already lost one child but also because he had a daughter of his own and was killed by his twin sister and his daying thoughts were of trying to protect his child.Also from what I've heard the story was written horribly and the Solo/Skywalker family were all OOC.
I think some of these fans just wanted to see more of the OT3  adventurous(which was what JJ wanted to do originally) and were dissapointed when that didn't end up happening so they're now clinging to Rey being Lukes daughter because it still makes him the protagonist.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 972
Likes : 4816
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 29 Aug - 22:07

BastilaBey wrote:The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means. That right there tells you where his arc is going - this is the first film in the trilogy, not the climax. But if you're not really thinking about things in terms of narrative structure, and going on your personal attachments to the OT characters, perhaps you just think he's lost to the dark forever now he's killed Han.

Saw this piece earlier and it summarizes it pretty well, basically what plenty of us have been saying since December
https://narrativeninja.tumblr.com/post/148859543811/kylo-ren-as-a-tragic-hero-and-why-a-turning-point

So many fans are still not recognizing Kylo's importance to the story. Which is crazy because even if they are thinking he's the new Vader...Vader was hella important. So what, do they want him to be Darth Maul or Dooku? Shocked
@BastilaBey
It makes me feel like:



But then I look at how much nothing these people are working with. They simultaneously recognize him as the new Vader/Anakin while not really recognizing what it means at all. It's like they're on the cusp of realizing what this story is most likely to surround at all times, but there are certain biases/opinions that are stopping them from taking the plunge, which leads us back to the obsession with Reywalker that has overtaken parts of the SW fandom. Without Reywalker how is Rey connected to the story? Now that's the right question, isn't it?
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2921
Likes : 26358
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 29 Aug - 22:11

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:It's Anakin and Padme with Padme as the protagonist, it's dark to light rather than light to dark. But no, fans would rather theorize about Rey being a reincarnation/hand clone.
@FrolickingFizzgig

This is exactly the way I see it, too. Of course, Rey also has things in common with Anakin, and Kylo has things in common with Padmé (including his name) - depending on his backstory, he might possibly be some kind of an idealistic Dark!Padmé. That kind of role reversal could also open up some intriguing possibilities.

But yep, if (and when) Rey joins the Skywalker clan, this is basically like Padmé being the hero of the trilogy.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4074
Likes : 26468
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by snufkin on Mon 29 Aug - 22:39

BastilaBey wrote:The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means. That right there tells you where his arc is going - this is the first film in the trilogy, not the climax. But if you're not really thinking about things in terms of narrative structure, and going on your personal attachments to the OT characters, perhaps you just think he's lost to the dark forever now he's killed Han.

Saw this piece earlier and it summarizes it pretty well, basically what plenty of us have been saying since December
https://narrativeninja.tumblr.com/post/148859543811/kylo-ren-as-a-tragic-hero-and-why-a-turning-point

So many fans are still not recognizing Kylo's importance to the story. Which is crazy because even if they are thinking he's the new Vader...Vader was hella important. So what, do they want him to be Darth Maul or Dooku? Shocked
@BastilaBey

Mmmm, it's really hard for me to pay attention to whatever the writer is saying (I'm sure it on point) when they throw this beautiful gif in there. Helllooo Benecio!

avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5884
Likes : 25044
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by vaderito on Mon 29 Aug - 22:46

BastilaBey wrote:The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means.  
@BastilaBey



This. This is the reason for the crap that comes from SW fandom. And, for the record, I never watch those podcasts/videos because I know where that type of people is standing. Aren't they Damereys too? Typical old school SW fans.

and this:

@Frolickingfizzgig

It's like they're on the cusp of realizing what this story is most likely to surround at all times, but there are certain biases/opinions that are stopping them from taking the plunge, which leads us back to the obsession with Reywalker that has overtaken parts of the SW fandom. Without Reywalker how is Rey connected to the story? Now that's the right question, isn't it?
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8272
Likes : 39516
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 29 Aug - 22:49

snufkin wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means. That right there tells you where his arc is going - this is the first film in the trilogy, not the climax. But if you're not really thinking about things in terms of narrative structure, and going on your personal attachments to the OT characters, perhaps you just think he's lost to the dark forever now he's killed Han.

Saw this piece earlier and it summarizes it pretty well, basically what plenty of us have been saying since December
https://narrativeninja.tumblr.com/post/148859543811/kylo-ren-as-a-tragic-hero-and-why-a-turning-point

So many fans are still not recognizing Kylo's importance to the story. Which is crazy because even if they are thinking he's the new Vader...Vader was hella important. So what, do they want him to be Darth Maul or Dooku? Shocked
@BastilaBey

Mmmm, it's really hard for me to pay attention to whatever the writer is saying (I'm sure it on point) when they throw this beautiful gif in there. Helllooo Benecio!

@snufkin



I'm sorry, did you say something? I was too busy envisioning my future crush.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4074
Likes : 26468
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by snufkin on Mon 29 Aug - 22:52

Darth Dingbat wrote:
snufkin wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means. That right there tells you where his arc is going - this is the first film in the trilogy, not the climax. But if you're not really thinking about things in terms of narrative structure, and going on your personal attachments to the OT characters, perhaps you just think he's lost to the dark forever now he's killed Han.

Saw this piece earlier and it summarizes it pretty well, basically what plenty of us have been saying since December
https://narrativeninja.tumblr.com/post/148859543811/kylo-ren-as-a-tragic-hero-and-why-a-turning-point

So many fans are still not recognizing Kylo's importance to the story. Which is crazy because even if they are thinking he's the new Vader...Vader was hella important. So what, do they want him to be Darth Maul or Dooku? Shocked
@BastilaBey

Mmmm, it's really hard for me to pay attention to whatever the writer is saying (I'm sure it on point) when they throw this beautiful gif in there. Helllooo Benecio!

@snufkin



I'm sorry, did you say something? I was too busy envisioning my future crush.
@Darth Dingbat

Benecio has been my crush for a very very long time. I even saw him in the movie where he played Alicia Silverstone's love interest. Which he was gorgeous in, but that's how much I <3 Benecio.

avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5884
Likes : 25044
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 29 Aug - 22:57

snufkin wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
snufkin wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:The important point is that these people are seeing parallels between Kylo in TFA and Anakin in RoTS but not really understanding what that means. That right there tells you where his arc is going - this is the first film in the trilogy, not the climax. But if you're not really thinking about things in terms of narrative structure, and going on your personal attachments to the OT characters, perhaps you just think he's lost to the dark forever now he's killed Han.

Saw this piece earlier and it summarizes it pretty well, basically what plenty of us have been saying since December
https://narrativeninja.tumblr.com/post/148859543811/kylo-ren-as-a-tragic-hero-and-why-a-turning-point

So many fans are still not recognizing Kylo's importance to the story. Which is crazy because even if they are thinking he's the new Vader...Vader was hella important. So what, do they want him to be Darth Maul or Dooku? Shocked
@BastilaBey

Mmmm, it's really hard for me to pay attention to whatever the writer is saying (I'm sure it on point) when they throw this beautiful gif in there. Helllooo Benecio!

@snufkin



I'm sorry, did you say something? I was too busy envisioning my future crush.
@Darth Dingbat

Benecio has been my crush for a very very long time. I even saw him in the movie where he played Alicia Silverstone's love interest. Which he was gorgeous in, but that's how much I <3 Benecio.

@snufkin

Excess Baggage

(I'll save everyone else the IMDB search.)

_________________
Hoping Rey is "riding solo" for the ST...
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Moderator

Messages : 4624
Likes : 23973
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by IoJovi on Mon 29 Aug - 23:50

Yes please.


_________________
"Kylo and Rey are two halves of the dark and the light.” - Rian Johnson
avatar
IoJovi
Moderator

Messages : 6200
Likes : 33569
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by snufkin on Mon 29 Aug - 23:58

I definitely have a type - Benecio, Romain Duris (especially the sweet guy he plays in the L'auberge espagnole trilogy, the sensitive criminal in The Beat My Heart Skipped, and yes I even sat through Heartbreaker) and even a little bit for Diego Luna.

On topic, the insistence that Rey "must" be Luke's daughter to the point of either coming up with bad theories or willfully overlooking what's in TFA is such a perfect example of confirmation bias. Like I've said before, I loved the OT as a child but moved on around age 12. And didn't see TFA until it had been out in theaters for 2 months. So maybe taking a break during adolescence and adulthood, plus not seeing it when it was first released (though God help me, now I'm going to have to get caught up in the VIII hype) kept me from seeing anything with the bias of my childhood fondness. Though to be fair, Luke and his storyline was my least favorite part of the trilogy as a child.

Ha, actually come to think of it, the ST could be seen as a bit of L'auberge espagnole in space with the interlocking set of young characters in flux learning about themselves, their place in the world, and their relationship with each other. How's that for an obscure movie reference?
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5884
Likes : 25044
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 30 Aug - 0:10

I like Jedi Collider when John Campea is present.
That guy literally saved my mind of going nuts after I watched TFA and found anything than Rey Skywalker on the internet.

For those who do not know him a brief video:


_________________
Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director
avatar
Darth_Awakened
Moderator

Messages : 3748
Likes : 17134
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Saracene on Tue 30 Aug - 1:29

Darth Dingbat wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
I am Reylo ASF, but ultimately that can't be the total hero's journey for Rey in this Saga. I would like Rey to have a mantle/legacy/burden of her own to carry and either live up to it or live it down.... This is where the Hero's journey is won and it becomes more than a fairy tale/romance.

Finding love in another individual is an essential part of the hero’s journey but so is overcoming your parents and your past. Nobody is nobody even nobodies are somebodies in some form or fashion. Having ancestors gives you something to identify and attach to and something to overcome and reject

You come to accept and reject what you want to create something new this is what every generation does
@spacebaby45678

Most certainly. But that's why I don't want Rey to be a random - I want her to be something mindblowing, something that's at least equal in galactic significance to the Skywalker heritage.

I'd like her to be something that's at the very heart of the story that is currently being told. I'd like her story to be mainly about her, not about the Skywalkers. This time, the Skywalkers would be players - active, major players, but still - in a story that's centered on someone else, someone else's heritage and place in the world.
@Darth Dingbat

While I’m certain that the story of Rey’s family is not over, I very much doubt that her heritage is going to be central over the Skywalker drama. I just don’t see the setup for it even in TFA. Rey is told that she needs to let go of waiting for her family, and that her destiny lies elsewhere. She doesn’t end the movie on, I must go out there and find out who I am and what my heritage is. Pretty much all of her big moments have something to do with the Skywalker/Solo. The arguably biggest dramatic moment in TFA (Han and Kylo on the bridge) has nothing to do with Rey or her family, it’s all Skywalker drama in which Rey is an observer; sure she has a stake in it because she really likes Han but still it’s not really her family drama. If you compare her with Luke, he may not know who his father really is in ANH, but his father is already shaping his future - “I want to be a Jedi like my father”. By comparison, Rey in a way needs to move on past her family in TFA in order to move forward and they’re not shaping her future.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1472
Likes : 8435
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 37
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by ZioRen on Tue 30 Aug - 1:49

Saracene wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
I am Reylo ASF, but ultimately that can't be the total hero's journey for Rey in this Saga. I would like Rey to have a mantle/legacy/burden of her own to carry and either live up to it or live it down.... This is where the Hero's journey is won and it becomes more than a fairy tale/romance.

Finding love in another individual is an essential part of the hero’s journey but so is overcoming your parents and your past. Nobody is nobody even nobodies are somebodies in some form or fashion. Having ancestors gives you something to identify and attach to and something to overcome and reject

You come to accept and reject what you want to create something new this is what every generation does
@spacebaby45678

Most certainly. But that's why I don't want Rey to be a random - I want her to be something mindblowing, something that's at least equal in galactic significance to the Skywalker heritage.

I'd like her to be something that's at the very heart of the story that is currently being told. I'd like her story to be mainly about her, not about the Skywalkers. This time, the Skywalkers would be players - active, major players, but still - in a story that's centered on someone else, someone else's heritage and place in the world.
@Darth Dingbat

While I’m certain that the story of Rey’s family is not over, I very much doubt that her heritage is going to be central over the Skywalker drama. I just don’t see the setup for it even in TFA. Rey is told that she needs to let go of waiting for her family, and that her destiny lies elsewhere. She doesn’t end the movie on, I must go out there and find out who I am and what my heritage is. Pretty much all of her big moments have something to do with the Skywalker/Solo. The arguably biggest dramatic moment in TFA (Han and Kylo on the bridge) has nothing to do with Rey or her family, it’s all Skywalker drama in which Rey is an observer; sure she has a stake in it because she really likes Han but still it’s not really her family drama. If you compare her with Luke, he may not know who his father really is in ANH, but his father is already shaping his future - “I want to be a Jedi like my father”. By comparison, Rey in a way needs to move on past her family in TFA in order to move forward and they’re not shaping her future.
@Saracene

This is what I think too. To me, nothing about Rey's trajectory so far suggests that who her parents are/finding her heritage will really be the crux of her story. Doesn't TFA suggest the exact opposite? Rey's birth family is presented as an anchor holding her back, not the mystery needing resolution (even if fans see it that way). I see Rey's story as her finding her place in the galaxy, separate from and possibly even in spite of (if the theories of her coming from a dark bloodline are true) her "blood", as a contrast to Kylo.
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1095
Likes : 6895
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-28

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum