The "Crack" Spoiler Discussion Thread

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The "Crack" Spoiler Discussion Thread

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 15 Jan - 20:09

WhatGirl wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Ok, the interesting bit out of this leak is in the comments. There's a commenter who calls "BS" on this leaker (who when going through his/her post history, appears to have had some inside knowledge on Rogue One), who says in his comment that Rey was born on Jakku and abandoned there.

That would kind of fit with them not duplicating Jyn Erso's abandonment scenario.
@ISeeAnIsland

That has been my personal theory - I simply can't imagine anyone, much less loving parents, making a special trip to Jakku only to drop off their daughter. I believe her parents were living there themselves, and that they too were probably (FS?) scavengers who were already on some kind of terms with Unkar Plutt when they left their child behind with him. I think it's quite possible that she was born there.
@WhatGirl

I don't lean to heavily towards any one theory, but Rey-born-on-Jakku is one that I've entertained.

If that's the case, I tend to think that her parentage would have something to do with the rumored secret Imperial base there. But that's because I'm leaning heavily away from Rey Random at the moment, which would be the more likely scenario with scavenger parents.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 15 Jan - 20:20

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Ok, the interesting bit out of this leak is in the comments. There's a commenter who calls "BS" on this leaker (who when going through his/her post history, appears to have had some inside knowledge on Rogue One), who says in his comment that Rey was born on Jakku and abandoned there.

That would kind of fit with them not duplicating Jyn Erso's abandonment scenario.
@ISeeAnIsland

That has been my personal theory - I simply can't imagine anyone, much less loving parents, making a special trip to Jakku only to drop off their daughter. I believe her parents were living there themselves, and that they too were probably (FS?) scavengers who were already on some kind of terms with Unkar Plutt when they left their child behind with him. I think it's quite possible that she was born there.
@WhatGirl

I don't lean to heavily towards any one theory, but Rey-born-on-Jakku is one that I've entertained.

If that's the case, I tend to think that her parentage would have something to do with the rumored secret Imperial base there. But that's because I'm leaning heavily away from Rey Random at the moment, which would be the more likely scenario with scavenger parents.
@ISeeAnIsland

The secret Imperial base might have been where her parents were hiding in the years after the fall of the Empire.

But in that case, the question remains - why would they leave her behind? If they departed to the Unknown Regions (what with all the hinting about Jakku being a taking off point for the Unknown Regions), I can't imagine why they'd leave their daughter. Even if they intended to come back for her, Jakku doesn't seem like a safe place to leave a child, even temporarily. Unless Unkar used to serve the Empire and was a lot more respectable in the past. Who knows...

I don't know - maybe they were murdered on Jakku, and it's the murderer taking off in the ship, not the parents themselves...
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Sun 15 Jan - 20:28

Honestly, none of this nonsense has anything to do with either "promoting something as progressive" or even having a preference for a story element. It's so petty and transparent. Many fans probably don't even know what they want, it's all about opposing "the other side" as if it matters. When it's "cool" not to like something and joining the group of haters somehow makes you feel like a "proper fan" (and when that's high up on the list of stuff that are important in your life to begin with), it's just sad. I am astonished how much energy and effort some people put into disliking something in fiction. They must know it won't make a difference so why bother coming up with false leaks and spreading them to get brief attention? What a waste of time.
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 15 Jan - 21:09

It makes more sense to have the other female lead be in the traditional sassy action girl mold than it does for Rey. If Rey was that type of character, she wouldn't have hesitated to leave Jakku on her own. And it's not that Rey is a passive or shy personality. Just that her deepest fear is that the only way she'll find love and belonging is with the people who left her on Jakku. That's why she stays, which makes her a "softer" and more vulnerable type of personality. She's definitely played as being sad and melancholy underneath the tomboy exterior. A more aggressive (confident) person, wouldn't have tolerated Jakku or kept watch for her parents.

Also characterizing her that way ties in with the question of why she was on Jakku. She has to stay put, even if it's ultimately to rescue BB-8 and Finn from the FO. But it seems really harsh if her parents just dumped her there. I'd guess that they got into a dangerous situation, left her there in secret to protect her, intended to return for her, but were killed instead. Otherwise if people knew about her, somebody would've come back from her.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 15 Jan - 21:25

Maybe it's a Monkey's Paw effect, we get female leads, but they all look the same and have the same background. Laughing
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Sun 15 Jan - 21:29

@Helix wrote:Maybe it's a Monkey's Paw effect, we get female leads, but they all look the same and have the same background. Laughing
@Helix

Well, it sure doesn't help that according to rumors, Kathleen Kennedy originally wanted Bel Powley for KMT's role...

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 15 Jan - 21:33

Maybe the plot twist is that they're all failed clones ala Alien Resurrection and it's a leftover idea from a Lucas draft.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 15 Jan - 21:41

@Irina de France wrote:
@Helix wrote:Maybe it's a Monkey's Paw effect, we get female leads, but they all look the same and have the same background. :lol:
@Helix

Well, it sure doesn't help that according to rumors, Kathleen Kennedy originally wanted Bel Powley for KMT's role...
@Irina de France

That'd be an interesting choice aside from the yet another brunette white girl who speaks with British accent. Because Powley's best known for Diary of a Teenage Girl, which is the semi-autobiographical and unapologetic story about an underage girl who doesn't just start exploring her own sexuality, but also seduces and has affair with her mother's 30something boyfriend. Unless they wanted her for the role of the young woman who has a weird incestous vibe going on with her cousin ; ).
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 15 Jan - 21:44

That would look really bad for Lucasfilm, but Finnreys would probably like it since she kinda looks like Rey. Razz Thank God they didn't, though.

Last edited by Helix on Sun 15 Jan - 21:56; edited 1 time in total
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Sun 15 Jan - 21:46

Can we summarize these leaks.

Luke is just a weird dude, daddy or he knows who is daddy.  Claps
Kylo Ren is more evil and powerful but yet Rey escaping him.
Kylo is just a villain with no character development.    Laugh
Finn flirts with one girl and is in love with Rey.  Pop corn
Rescues Rey like some damsel in distress even tho they established she's quite capable.  Rolling Eyes
Rey is supposed centre piece of this trilogy and yet it's only Luke and Finn doing their thing.  Girl power
Finn and Rey are destined for each other.  Love
KMT is simply KMT, no name.  Laughing At least these leakers should consider giving her some credible name.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 15 Jan - 21:55

@Helix wrote:That would look really bad for Lucasfilm, but Finnreys would probably like if since she kinda looks like Rey. Razz Thank God they didn't, though.
@Helix

Just imagine the "Rey meets Finn's new girlfriend scene," hella awkward comedy as girlfriend takes a look at Rey and gets pissed realizing that maybe Finn's not as into her as she thought he was.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Sun 15 Jan - 21:56

So Rey goes apesith at Kylo Ren for killing his Father - you know the Father figure who she knew for like a day - but she's apparently fine with her long-lost secret Dad (Luke) killing her Mother, abandoning her on Jakku and keeping her a secret from his twin sister, brother-in-law/best friend and the nephew who he must have spent some years raising.

Of course.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 15 Jan - 22:10

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:Agreed with all of you. It's actually pretty disheartening to see people treat Kelly's role as this, as well as considering their relationship non-progressive. We've all said it before and I'll say it again, FinnTran will be far more progressive than Finnrey could ever be since Black/Asian relationships in media are incredibly rare. The ironic thing is that the people who say that want Finnrey because they care about progression don't really care about it at all. If they did, they would see how progressive Kelly's role and FinnTran really is. Not only that, but recently the same people (they're usually antis) on tumblr have noticed that a lot of Reylos also like Rebelcaptain AKA Jyn/Cassian. Ever since they noticed, they've downgraded Jyn, calling her useless and saying she's not good enough for Cassian and there's no mention of them being an interracial relationship between a white woman and a hispanic man - which is also progressive in a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster. Like I said, it's not about progression at all - it's about making a certain group of people feel bad for liking a certain dynamic in a god-damn movie and proving that they're wrong in their theories and views.
@AppleCrumble122

Literally the only reason these kinds of fans "care" about Finnrey and dislike Finntran is because of Reylo fans. I wish I was kidding, but that's what I've observed. So they'll find some way to make Finntran not seem "progressive" because that "progressive" argument was their main ammo against Reylos. Suddenly they have to scramble to come up with an excuse when it comes to Kelly's character, and they end up sounding terrible and shooting themselves in the foot in the process. It's kind of hilarious and kind of sad.

And yet, I'm predicting a lot of backlash and even critique articles from "legitimate" reviewers about how the black hero still can't get the ultimate heroine prize and was stuck with the consolation prize. No matter what amazing thing Finn accomplishes, which I'm confident he will, people will still see him as "losing" because he didn't get the super special white heroine, as if that particular love interest was the most important thing. Triple it if Reylo happens. And, as usual, those who make these arguments will have absolute zero self-awareness of how terrible, sexist and even somewhat racist they sound.

Last edited by ZioRen on Sun 15 Jan - 22:20; edited 4 times in total
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Sun 15 Jan - 22:13

@Rogue Rey wrote:So Rey goes apesith at Kylo Ren for killing his Father - you know the Father figure who she knew for like a day - but she's apparently fine with her long-lost secret Dad (Luke) killing her Mother, abandoning her on Jakku and keeping her a secret from his twin sister, brother-in-law/best friend and the nephew who he must have spent some years raising.

Of course.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
@Rogue Rey

That would imply the leakers actually thinking these through instead of just ripping off other leakers. Razz

It's like they just reduce the characters down to a the base traits we saw in TFA and leave them like that.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sun 15 Jan - 22:17

@ZioRen wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:Agreed with all of you. It's actually pretty disheartening to see people treat Kelly's role as this, as well as considering their relationship non-progressive. We've all said it before and I'll say it again, FinnTran will be far more progressive than Finnrey could ever be since Black/Asian relationships in media are incredibly rare. The ironic thing is that the people who say that want Finnrey because they care about progression don't really care about it at all. If they did, they would see how progressive Kelly's role and FinnTran really is. Not only that, but recently the same people (they're usually antis) on tumblr have noticed that a lot of Reylos also like Rebelcaptain AKA Jyn/Cassian. Ever since they noticed, they've downgraded Jyn, calling her useless and saying she's not good enough for Cassian and there's no mention of them being an interracial relationship between a white woman and a hispanic man - which is also progressive in a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster. Like I said, it's not about progression at all - it's about making a certain group of people feel bad for liking a certain dynamic in a god-damn movie and proving that they're wrong in their theories and views.
@AppleCrumble122

Literally the only reason these kinds of fans "care" about Finnrey and dislike Finntran is because of Reylo fans. I wish I was kidding, but that's what I've observed. So they'll find some way to make Finntran not seem "progressive" because that "progressive" argument was their main ammo against Reylos. Suddenly they have to scramble to come up with an excuse when it comes to Kelly's character, and they end up sounding terrible and shooting themselves in the foot in the process. It's kind of hilarious and kind of sad.
@ZioRen

Yep! It's what I've seen too! And I agree - I don't know whether to laugh, or just feel mind-boggled at it all at the way they shoot themselves in the foot and constantly contradicting themselves! I mean the lengths some people will go! Shocked Rolling Eyes
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Sun 15 Jan - 22:29

These 'leakers' clearly go to some lengths to read the latest 'spoilers' and 'leaks' in order to build their 'inside knowledge' (which happens to change like the weather) yet they seem to completely ignore anything that AD or anyone else says about Kylo and his role in VIII and just say Kylo is going to become badder/eviler/more Vader-esque. I've noticed AD's comment about Kylo having humanity hasn't featured in a single one of these 'leaks'.
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 15 Jan - 22:33

@Rogue Rey wrote:These 'leakers' clearly go to some lengths to read the latest 'spoilers' and 'leaks' in order to build their 'inside knowledge' (which happens to change like the weather) yet they seem to completely ignore anything that AD or anyone else says about Kylo and his role in VIII and just say Kylo is going to become badder/eviler/more Vader-esque. I've noticed AD's comment about Kylo having humanity hasn't featured in a single one of these 'leaks'.
@Rogue Rey

Because acknowledging that means they'd have to make up a story that includes those elements. That's hard. It's easier to just make up a story where he's a baddy bad. And even when he is just eviller, those parts of the "leaks" are still the shakiest. Kylo is always the point they stumble over!
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Sun 15 Jan - 22:39

@ZioRen wrote:
@Rogue Rey wrote:These 'leakers' clearly go to some lengths to read the latest 'spoilers' and 'leaks' in order to build their 'inside knowledge' (which happens to change like the weather) yet they seem to completely ignore anything that AD or anyone else says about Kylo and his role in VIII and just say Kylo is going to become badder/eviler/more Vader-esque. I've noticed AD's comment about Kylo having humanity hasn't featured in a single one of these 'leaks'.
@Rogue Rey

Because acknowledging that means they'd have to make up a story that includes those elements. That's hard. It's easier to just make up a story where he's a baddy bad. And even when he is just eviller, those parts of the "leaks" are still the shakiest. Kylo is always the point they stumble over!
@ZioRen

Yes Kylo is the biggest stumbling block for them and their 'leaks' - him getting worse is just a easy cop out.
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 15 Jan - 22:57

How to know that leak of VIII is fake?

Just check few points below and if any of it is in the integral part of the leak - it's 100% fake:

- Kylo Ren is bad**s one-dimensional villain.
- KMT role is not important and her appearance is irrelevant.
- Luke is in the center of it all - and most likely revealed as Rey's father.
- Finn is the boss of all bosses.
- Some of established characters are omit without any explanation (example: Hux in the previous leak)
- BDT and Laura Dern are forced in the plot (because they have to be in) but they roles don't fit with most of likely legit leaks or report (example: BDT as knight of Ren).
- Rey definitely ends with Resistance at the end - and shares romantic moment with Finn.

I could go on, but if you notice I miss something important, feel free to add.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Sun 15 Jan - 22:58

@Darth_Awakened wrote:How to know that leak of VIII is fake?

Just check few points below and if any of it is in the integral part of the leak - it's 100% fake:

- Kylo Ren is bad**s one-dimensional villain.
- KMT role is not important and her appearance is irrelevant.
- Luke is in the center of it all - and most likely revealed as Rey's father.
- Finn is the boss of all bosses.
- Some of established characters are omit without any explanation (example: Hux in the previous leak)
- BDT and Laura Dern are forced in the plot (because they have to be in) but they roles don't fit with most of likely legit leaks or report (example: BDT as knight of Ren).
- Rey definitely ends with Resistance at the end - and shares romantic moment with Finn.

I could go on, but if you notice I miss something important, feel free to add.
@Darth_Awakened

Don't forget that Rey is always pretty passive and ends up being Luke's sidekick/Finn's love interest than the heroine.

Bonjour ma cousine,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,

Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Mon 16 Jan - 1:48

Rey and Kylo are the Frodo and Sam of this triology. Except they are of the opposite sex and have tons of UST....

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Mon 16 Jan - 1:48

Guys...

Do I make myself a Reddit account and do an AMA for false leaks tonight?

Bonjour ma cousine,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,

Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Mon 16 Jan - 1:50

Do it!!

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 16 Jan - 1:56

@Irina de France wrote:Guys...

Do I make myself a Reddit account and do an AMA for false leaks tonight?
@Irina de France

Oh please do! Starting with how Luke spent maybe a good week trying to open up the Jedi Temple, couldn't figure it out, gave up, and has instead spent the past 6 years hanging around Ache-to in his bathrobe, smoking weed and talking to the Force Ghosts in his head. He's afraid to leave the island because he knows that Leia is going to kick his a** for being a slacker who effed up her only kid.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Mon 16 Jan - 2:01

@snufkin wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:
@Helix wrote:Maybe it's a Monkey's Paw effect, we get female leads, but they all look the same and have the same background. Laughing
@Helix

@Irina de France

That'd be an interesting choice aside from the yet another brunette white girl who speaks with British accent. Because Powley's best known for Diary of a Teenage Girl, which is the semi-autobiographical and unapologetic story about an underage girl who doesn't just start exploring her own sexuality, but also seduces and has affair with her mother's 30something boyfriend. Unless they wanted her for the role of the young woman who has a weird incestous vibe going on with her cousin ; ).
@snufkin

The last part sounds like Les Cousins Dangeroux, the fake movie used in Arrested Development LOL. And some of these "plot leak" sound like that comcept; a ridiculous fake movie that is talked about in a real one. Smile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum