ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by panki on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 8:17 am

@Gemini wrote:that Saber look a lot like those small hole parts on Reys staff, moreso that Mauls

I've seen other images of Mauls saber which have those holes as well

Is it a dark side type of saber?
@Gemini

Plo Koon's lightsaber? He was on the light side....sat on the Jedi Council.

panki
Moderator

Messages : 3345
Likes : 12460
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by CienaRee on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 5:15 pm

@Force22 wrote:Well, first of all, I think this thread belongs in the speculation for the next episode, since it wasn't revealed in TFA.

Anyways, we were discussing parentage the other way (not in the nicest way, unfortunately), and I realized there's a factor that cannot be forgotten when discussing parentage: Rey (honorary) Solo!

The orphan has already found a "father" and a "mother" in Han and Leia(according to script, even), she has already found a place of belonging. Her relationship with Luke doesn't seem to be daughter like, because she's he's apprentice, at least that's what the pic with Luke on Rey's back suggests (I know it's a joke, but still...). All the spoilers suggest a master/apprentice relationship, and it's right, because, at this point, to find another father would just erase Han's memory.

So... if Rey has already found the nice lovely family and  two people to call mom and dad (one of them already dead), what's next for her in the story? To find belonging? Again? That doesn't make any sense. What needs to be revealed is her backstory, her identity, etc.

She could be for instance a special girl Kylo and Luke had heard about, or a girl who had been in a special Jedi temple, or even some sort of chosen one, lots of possibilities, so her identity is important.

Now, she won't find a family to run back to, because she has already found another one, and cause Maz told her they aren't coming back. So... it can't be a nice family. They could all be already dead, or they could be people she can't find belonging with. So... I don't think her identity is about whose blood she carries, but more related to what secret her identity reveals. But it has to be a secret with impact on the plot, just being someone's descendent for the heck of it doesn't cut it. So, yes, she could be Kenobi, Palpatine, Vos, etc, but her blood lineage is not important in itself. Her identity is important, as who she is, or what she means. If they manage to do that and give her some known character for background, all right, but I don't think just being someone's descendent answers the question about her mystery and about what happened to her, it's more related to who she is, and what secrets she carries.

Not sure if I'm making sense. I just wanted people to be happy and start speculating about her parentage again. I think her origins are a big mystery of the ST, and I, for one, love mysteries and love solving puzzles.
@Force22
No,I understand what you mean and I agree.I think Rey's parentage is deffinatly an interesting topic that shouldn't be ignored  because she's not a Solo or a Skwyalker since I think her parenatge will end up being an important puzzle in the overall mistery and story.I also think that her not coming from a famous bloodline like Kenobi or Skywalker or Paplpatine doesn't mean her real identity wouldn't be important to the plot if it's done right which I think it will be.
I also don't think Rey found the belonging Maz is talking about I think the most likely candiate she meant was Ben Solo otherwise it would be way too easy(I'm saying this because the protagonist doesn't usually find everything he wants in the first act of trilogy).I mean her relationships with Han,Leia and Finn are deffinatly important and they're the family she formed in the first movie of the trilogy.However I think as her relationship with Kylo deepens it would start to clash with the family she found in TFA and her finding out the truth about her parentage might lead her to question where her true belonging is.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1115
Likes : 5457
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by naberrie93 on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm

This ^
Star Wars fans are Sometimes just dumb
I'm going with Rey Palpatine, if she is a descendent of Palpatine , thepPlot thickens and her fall to the darkside is going to be more sustained and Kylo is going to be like "omg, your lineage is more strong that mine" Laughing

naberrie93
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 14
Likes : 76
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:04 am



At last actual confirmation that Rey began her existence with Lucas. This Tweet obviously doesn't tell us how much Rey changed from the Lucas treatment to the JJ treatment, but it is the first time this information has ever been spelled out. Every other time Pablo has mentioned it more along the lines of "It was George's idea to have a female protagonist" (a female protagonist, not specifically Rey). I don't necessarily think this means her background was always the same or the character underwent no changes between treatments, but it's definitely some of the more compelling evidence for Rey Legacy I've seen.

It is possible that there was a general agreement "Rey is related to (Character X)", but it was left up to future storytellers to explain exactly how Rey ties to Lucas' chosen bloodline. Kenobi is definitely one of the most realistic options, and we all know George would have had no problem with retcon.

There is also the possibility Rey was never a "legacy" character of any kind, even in the Lucas treatment, and George's treatment surrounded an unrelated character interacting with the Skywalker grandchildren.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3976
Likes : 34371
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by CienaRee on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 12:06 pm

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

At last actual confirmation that Rey began her existence with Lucas. This Tweet obviously doesn't tell us how much Rey changed from the Lucas treatment to the JJ treatment, but it is the first time this information has ever been spelled out. Every other time Pablo has mentioned it more along the lines of "It was George's idea to have a female protagonist" (a female protagonist, not specifically Rey). I don't necessarily think this means her background was always the same or the character underwent no changes between treatments, but it's definitely some of the more compelling evidence for Rey Legacy I've seen.

It is possible that there was a general agreement "Rey is related to (Character X)", but it was left up to future storytellers to explain exactly how Rey ties to Lucas' chosen bloodline. Kenobi is definitely one of the most realistic options, and we all know George would have had no problem with retcon.

There is also the possibility Rey was never a "legacy" character of any kind, even in the Lucas treatment, and George's treatment surrounded an unrelated character interacting with the Skywalker grandchildren.
@FrolickingFizzgig

I thinkin Lucas's treatment Rey would most likely have been either Luke or Han/Leia's daughter judging from his comments about SW being a saga about the Skwyalker children and grandchildren.Back when TFA was about to be released he  also asked JJ what happened to Vader's grandchildren so Kylo probably wouldn't have been the only Skywalker in his version of the ST.
But  when his treatemnt wasn't used and they started from scratch  Rey Skywalker/Solo turned into Rey Random but that's me specualting ofcourse.It's possible she was aways meant to be a non legacy character.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1115
Likes : 5457
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:03 pm

@CienaRee
I don't think there's any real evidence suggesting Lucas would have made the main protagonist a Skywalker/Solo, just guesswork and assumptions. We honestly don't know. If the narrative was always slated to heavily surround the family anyway it may always have been the idea to focus on a non-related heroine interacting with Skywalkers/Solos.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3976
Likes : 34371
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:59 pm

avatar
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2593
Likes : 5990
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by panki on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 8:19 am

Okay..I am bored with the news drought so I am going to propose a wild lineage theory... Razz (while it is unlikely to happen, it is a fun speculation)
This theory assumes that every romance in SW has been planned carefully and put there for a purpose.

First, let us look at all the SW canon romances till date up to the time of the battle of Jakku:
- Anakin and Padme
- Obi-wan and Satine
- Quinlan and Asajj
- Kanan and Hera
- Han and Leia
- Thane and Ciena
- Shara and Kes

Now we know Anakin and Padme --> Leia and Han --> Kylo (one ST character taken care of)
Shara Bey and Kes Dameron --> Poe Dameron (second ST character taken care of)

This leaves two ST characters (Finn and Rey) and four couples. We can safely eliminate Kanan and Hera as neither Finn nor Rey look Twil'lek. So this leaves three.

- Thane and Ciena
- Obi-wan and Satine
- Quinlan and Asajj

Now first let us take Thane and Ciena.... we know Lost Stars ends with them being in love but their former friend Nash Windrider wants to avenge Ciena's "death" and there is Thane's nasty brother in the picture as well. Both these characters are still alive after the battle of Jakku so would definitely have joined the FO. What if Finn is the son of Thane and Ciena?

Nash Windrider and Thane's brother could have kidnapped him as a child to teach Thane and Ciena a lesson. I wont be surprised if they killed one of them as well (my guess is Ciena- her death being foreshadowed) This would give Finn even more cause to hate the FO for ruining his childhood, give him an aristocratic background and even possibly reunite him with a parent.

This leaves two couples and one ST character- Rey. Then I thought- wouldn't it be funny if all four were her grandparents? Obi-wan and Satine could have had a secret child before she died. Quinlan and Asajj could have either had a child while he was Dooku's apprentice or after order 66 (if Asajj is brought back to life- Nightsisters can revive the dead in canon).

This lineage is like a wish list of sorts- Rey would be Mandalorian royalty, have jedi and sith blood, Nightsister blood and even Kiffar blood (the rare psychometry ability). Rey's stalking like Darth Maul could be explained through her Dathomirian lineage. It would not leave anyone behind and it would have happened a long time before the ST. Here the father would be a Kenobi and the mother would be a Vos (Nightsister women are more powerful- Ventress was a nightsister and initiated Vos into their practices).. this could be a retcon of the EU story of Prince Isolder and Teneniel Djo.


Last edited by panki on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 10:04 am; edited 4 times in total

panki
Moderator

Messages : 3345
Likes : 12460
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by Guest on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 9:35 am


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:19 am

Something has just occurred to me. Confus

Rey slept inside of a downed AT-AT. She had a doll of a Rebel pilot.

What if her parents are in fact from opposing factions who ran away together and ended up hiding on Jakku?

This would not make the parents' identities important, per se. Their names could very well be virtually unknown. But it would explain the need for mystery surrounding Rey's parentage if she is the product of a forbidden romance.

It could also be done in a very simple and brief way. There wouldn't be the need for an elaborate story that goes into details. It could be summed up in minutes, and it wouldn't be a huge deal apart from explaining why her parents had felt the need to hide, and how she ended up alone.

Not to mention, it could be foreshadowing for a future romance between two people who, by all rights, should hate each other.

Edited to add further thoughts: What Rey's parents did in this case could essentially be considered on par with going into exile. For those who believe Kylo may go into exile with Rey willingly following him, it could stand as a possible parallel.


Last edited by WhatGirl on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by CienaRee on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:39 am

WhatGirl wrote:Something has just occurred to me. Confus

Rey slept inside of a downed AT-AT. She had a doll of a Rebel pilot.

What if her parents are in fact from opposing factions who ran away together and ended up hiding on Jakku?

This would not make the parents' identities important, per se. Their names could very well be virtually unknown. But it would explain the need for mystery surrounding Rey's parentage if she is the product of a forbidden romance.

It could also be done in a very simple and brief way. There wouldn't be the need for an elaborate story that goes into details. It could be summed up in minutes, and it wouldn't be a huge deal apart from explaining why her parents had felt the need to hide, and how she ended up alone.

Not to mention, it could be foreshadowing for a future romance between two people who, by all rights, should hate each other.
@WhatGirl
It's very possible and one of the most likely scenarious since we already have  Lost Stars already depicted a romance between people fighting on opposite sides.
What's also interesting is this quote by Kasdan :

 “[The young Han Solo movie] is so in line with the Star Wars saga, which is all about fathers and sons, mothers and sons, mother and daughters. It’s all about generational issues that you and I face every day. How much of what I inherited is good? How much of it is a burden to me? How do I define myself separate from those things? How do I latch on to the things that were great in my parents.”
http://zap2it.com/2015/12/star-wars-han-solo-movie-lawrence-kasdan/


JJ also mentions mothers and daughters in one of his interviews:


 ““Star Wars’ was always a boys’ thing and a movie that dads could take their sons to, and though that’s still very much the case, I was really hoping this could be a movie that mothers could take their daughters to, as well. I’m looking forward to kids seeing this movie and seeing themselves in it and seeing that they’re capable of doing things that they never imagined possible.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jj-abrams-star-wars-feminist_us_565c6a71e4b072e9d1c26464



 What's interesting SW has never been about mothers and daughters.We had fathers and sons in the OT and ST,and mothers and sons in PT and ST but never mothers and daughters.As a matter of fact mothers tend to be larlgly ignored in the SW universe so I wonder whether Rey's importance to the overall story might be connected with her mother more so than her father.It would be cool if her mother is alive while her father is dead.It would be kind of the inverse situation of Vader and Luke.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1115
Likes : 5457
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by panki on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 1:14 pm

WhatGirl wrote:Something has just occurred to me. Confus

Rey slept inside of a downed AT-AT. She had a doll of a Rebel pilot.

What if her parents are in fact from opposing factions who ran away together and ended up hiding on Jakku?

This would not make the parents' identities important, per se. Their names could very well be virtually unknown. But it would explain the need for mystery surrounding Rey's parentage if she is the product of a forbidden romance.

It could also be done in a very simple and brief way. There wouldn't be the need for an elaborate story that goes into details. It could be summed up in minutes, and it wouldn't be a huge deal apart from explaining why her parents had felt the need to hide, and how she ended up alone.

Not to mention, it could be foreshadowing for a future romance between two people who, by all rights, should hate each other.

Edited to add further thoughts: What Rey's parents did in this case could essentially be considered on par with going into exile. For those who believe Kylo may go into exile with Rey willingly following him, it could stand as a possible parallel.
@WhatGirl

This sounds very similar to the situation in the EU book series- The Jedi Prince... the Jedi Prince is a young boy named Ken who grew up in an isolated environment in the remains of an old jedi city, speaks droid, is good with mechanical stuff, is a good pilot and a powerful FS (showing both light and dark side abilities)- like a certain FS girl we know.... he only has a first name and wonders who left him alone in that city when he was small... he thinks he is related to Obi-wan because Luke gets messages about this boy from Obi-wan through the Force.....interestingly, his real heritage is like what you suggested- he turns out to be the child from a forbidden romance..... his mother was a captured jedi and his father was Palpatine's son, who was imprisoned by the imperials who wanted to keep power for themselves....his mother tried to get him to safety so he could choose his own destiny and not be bound by his heritage, which is a lovely message........ I wonder if they will take this route with Rey.... Confus

panki
Moderator

Messages : 3345
Likes : 12460
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 1:45 pm

@panki wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:Something has just occurred to me. Confus

Rey slept inside of a downed AT-AT. She had a doll of a Rebel pilot.

What if her parents are in fact from opposing factions who ran away together and ended up hiding on Jakku?

This would not make the parents' identities important, per se. Their names could very well be virtually unknown. But it would explain the need for mystery surrounding Rey's parentage if she is the product of a forbidden romance.

It could also be done in a very simple and brief way. There wouldn't be the need for an elaborate story that goes into details. It could be summed up in minutes, and it wouldn't be a huge deal apart from explaining why her parents had felt the need to hide, and how she ended up alone.

Not to mention, it could be foreshadowing for a future romance between two people who, by all rights, should hate each other.

Edited to add further thoughts: What Rey's parents did in this case could essentially be considered on par with going into exile. For those who believe Kylo may go into exile with Rey willingly following him, it could stand as a possible parallel.
@WhatGirl

This sounds very similar to the situation in the EU book series- The Jedi Prince... the Jedi Prince is a young boy named Ken who grew up in an isolated environment in the remains of an old jedi city, speaks droid, is good with mechanical stuff, is a good pilot and a powerful FS (showing both light and dark side abilities)- like a certain FS girl we know.... he only has a first name and wonders who left him alone in that city when he was small... he thinks he is related to Obi-wan because Luke gets messages about this boy from Obi-wan through the Force.....interestingly, his real heritage is like what you suggested- he turns out to be the child from a forbidden romance..... his mother was a captured jedi and his father was Palpatine's son, who was imprisoned by the imperials who wanted to keep power for themselves....his mother tried to get him to safety so he could choose his own destiny and not be bound by his heritage, which is a lovely message........ I wonder if they will take this route with Rey.... Confus
@panki

I am not familiar with the EU at all, so thank you for sharing this with me! Smile

It would be an amazing message for sure. Kylo, the last Skywalker, is the one who feels trapped by his heritage and destiny. Rey, with no known surname, does not seem to know which side she comes from and is able to find her own path. Giving her an important surname at this point would undermine that message, in my opinion.

Rey's parents might have chosen to isolate themselves from everything political, if indeed they came from opposing sides. They may have had no choice but to leave everything and everyone they ever knew behind in order to be together. Perhaps they were even on the run. Either way, Jakku seems to be the place for that - it is the very definition of a no man's land.

And all of this can tie in seamlessly with Kylo's redemption and with Reylo. Dark sider who believed his heritage was everything + light side Jedi without a known legacy made her own way in spite of the odds = forbidden romance of an epic scale.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by Gemini on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 2:03 pm

I've been doing some research on the orphaned hero in mythology and fairy tails. Starwars has been called a fantasy, a myth and fairy tale...I guess it depends on how you want to view it. I feel she is someone because in fairy tales if an orphan is a no one, they dont build up mystery about the character by having other characters say "who's the girl" or "I'm classified" etc etc

Now they could be turning the trope on its head like they have with other ones...or her orphan status in a fantasy/myth would fit into the following:

The below are quotes from various writers and blogs

Terry Windling wrote:But in all the orphan fantasies and myths, you always find out who the parents are. . .and lo and behold, they always turn out to be heroes and kings, not the maid pregnant by the stable boy or the poor couple down the lane who have simply had one child too many.



We find them everywhere in fantasy fiction: the "orphaned heroes," young men and women whose parents are dead, absent, or unknown, who turn out to be the heirs to the kingdom, the destined pullers of swords from stones, the keys to the riddles, the prophesies' answers, the bearers of powerful magic.



Its like the Anastasia quoye from Lucas's son.

TV tropes wrote:Despite growing up with an otherwise mundane childhood with nary an inkling of the extraordinary, our hero jumps into the thick of things and becomes a hero, or is a Weirdness Magnet and thrust into adventures he can barely fathom. A ways through the series, they'll find out that they're actually heirs to a Secret Legacy of heroism. Maybe it's an old ally of their parents, the parents themselves (though a lot of the time, the legacy is from the father's side), or discovering a hidden cache of artifacts and weapons that belonged to his parents. In any case, characters who have a Secret Legacy are heirs to a family tradition of unusual and heroic proportions. Crime fighting, archaeological adventure, and super heroing are just some examples. Maybe it's "Genetic" or In the Blood, but more often than not it's adventure that finds them, or simple common nature with the parents that leads to the hero picking up his birthright.


Some orphans have it easy, but not these ones.

This trope is about fiction highlighting the unpleasant side of losing one's parents to death or abandonment. The parents have been lost recently, and the main plot (or at least a major subplot) involves dealing with this loss. This generally includes some combination of:

   Grieving over the loss.
   Finding surrogate parents or family, whether blood relatives or True Companions. Complications may arise from finding a new family (perhaps involving a stay at the Orphanage of Fear or under an Illegal Guardian), or from fitting in with the new family. Expect the kid to refer to the new parents by their first name, rather than Mom or Dad, for some time.
   Discovering some heretofore-unknown aspect of the parents' lives, and investigating it. This attempt to understand their roots can be a subtle (or not) metaphor for the search for self-understanding.



 

If they are flipping the following trope on its head, I dont think its literally changing the rules..they just twist iit. The red herring is that its a Skywalker weapon...but the twist is that it didnt call to her to show her she was a Skywalker

TV tropes wrote:Got a good Ancestral Weapon? Got a cherished family recipe for whoop-a**? There's only one thing to make this heroic picture complete: at least one sword-wielding, name-taking hero in your family tree. Maybe more. No wonder you've got a thing about saving people — it's In the Blood.

Maybe not as shiny as full-on Divine Parentage,note  but it certainly explains that Orphan's Plot Trinket.

Makes a great surprise if there's a Luke, I Am Your Father moment in store.

In short, a character is a descendant of a famous hero, regardless of if he knows it or not, or how strong the blood is. Compare Tell Me About My Father, where the character loves to think about his dead/absentee parents as heroes, regardless of the truth. Compare Single Line of Descent where apparently there's only one person per generation who carries the gene.

Almost guaranteed to inherit an Ancestral Weapon at some point.

Subtrope of Famous Ancestor. Generally found or at least claimed among those with Blue Blood, although they may not initially know about it.
avatar
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2379
Likes : 10021
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by panki on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 2:14 pm

WhatGirl wrote:
@panki wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:Something has just occurred to me. Confus

Rey slept inside of a downed AT-AT. She had a doll of a Rebel pilot.

What if her parents are in fact from opposing factions who ran away together and ended up hiding on Jakku?

This would not make the parents' identities important, per se. Their names could very well be virtually unknown. But it would explain the need for mystery surrounding Rey's parentage if she is the product of a forbidden romance.

It could also be done in a very simple and brief way. There wouldn't be the need for an elaborate story that goes into details. It could be summed up in minutes, and it wouldn't be a huge deal apart from explaining why her parents had felt the need to hide, and how she ended up alone.

Not to mention, it could be foreshadowing for a future romance between two people who, by all rights, should hate each other.

Edited to add further thoughts: What Rey's parents did in this case could essentially be considered on par with going into exile. For those who believe Kylo may go into exile with Rey willingly following him, it could stand as a possible parallel.
@WhatGirl

This sounds very similar to the situation in the EU book series- The Jedi Prince... the Jedi Prince is a young boy named Ken who grew up in an isolated environment in the remains of an old jedi city, speaks droid, is good with mechanical stuff, is a good pilot and a powerful FS (showing both light and dark side abilities)- like a certain FS girl we know.... he only has a first name and wonders who left him alone in that city when he was small... he thinks he is related to Obi-wan because Luke gets messages about this boy from Obi-wan through the Force.....interestingly, his real heritage is like what you suggested- he turns out to be the child from a forbidden romance..... his mother was a captured jedi and his father was Palpatine's son, who was imprisoned by the imperials who wanted to keep power for themselves....his mother tried to get him to safety so he could choose his own destiny and not be bound by his heritage, which is a lovely message........ I wonder if they will take this route with Rey.... Confus
@panki

I am not familiar with the EU at all, so thank you for sharing this with me! Smile

It would be an amazing message for sure. Kylo, the last Skywalker, is the one who feels trapped by his heritage and destiny. Rey, with no known surname, does not seem to know which side she comes from and is able to find her own path. Giving her an important surname at this point would undermine that message, in my opinion.

Rey's parents might have chosen to isolate themselves from everything political, if indeed they came from opposing sides. They may have had no choice but to leave everything and everyone they ever knew behind in order to be together. Perhaps they were even on the run. Either way, Jakku seems to be the place for that - it is the very definition of a no man's land.

And all of this can tie in seamlessly with Kylo's redemption and with Reylo. Dark sider who believed his heritage was everything + light side Jedi without a known legacy made her own way in spite of the odds = forbidden romance of an epic scale.
@WhatGirl

I agree with everything you have said, especially the bolded part. Very Happy

The Jedi Prince handles the grey areas really well.....Ken's father is a dark sider but he has a good heart and truly loved his wife and child, showing that not every bad guy is a mustache twirling villain....and Luke makes this really nice speech when Ken feels he can only be evil after finding out about his heritage, and they use the Force together to save themselves.... I would love Kylo to say something like this to Rey in Epiisode IX -

Ken, no one is responsible for who their parents are. Or their grandparents. The choices they made in their lives are their own. But the choices we make are our own. We can’t blame ourselves for the evil that our parents and grandparents did-only for what we do. And so it’s up to each of us to make the right choices in life, to trust in the Force, and become the person that we know we should be.

panki
Moderator

Messages : 3345
Likes : 12460
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by Gemini on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 1:23 am

@reylo1992 wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Accidentally stumbled upon this post... I don't necessarily agree with it, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

http://www.alexbclark.com/movies/rey-will-turn-to-the-dark-side-in-episode-viii/
@Darth Dingbat

Very interesting post! I don't necessarily agree with all of the content either but as the author pointed it out it is interesting to notice the movement of the camera in this final shot as if the intention was to anticipate the plot of the next episode.

I may be wrong but I think that this is a callback to what happened earlier between Kylo and Rey in the forest. While Rey stands on the right in the first shot, she stands on the left in the second shot.



While both situations are similar, the contrast regarding the behavior of the characters is stunning:

1. According to the novelization, both Kylo and Luke recognize who Rey is, precisely when she holds the lightsaber in front of them
2. While Kylo's face is relaxed, Luke's is tense.
3. While Rey seems amazed in front of Kylo, she seems unease in front of Luke
4. While she holds the lightsaber with her right hand in front of Kylo, she holds it in her left hand in front of Luke. I believe that this detail is no accident knowing that the left is traditionally associated with something pejorative

What's more, Luke is the only person who reacts to Rey with such relunctant expression  and who doesn't seem to fall under her spell like the others do. Rey makes puppy eyes as if she does feel rejected, which is more or less the same expression that she has when Kylo calls her a scavenger with disregard:



The point is to discover why do Luke and Kylo react to her like that? Luke's reaction is completely strange knowing that he is the last jedi remaining in this galaxy far away. He should be happy (at least relieved) to know that after all these years he can finally train a  young FS girl to become a Jedi in order to defeat the FO and bring the Jedi Order back. Kylo to the contrary should treat her like a threat given that his goal is to kill all the Jedi until the last one but instead of that he  accepts her immediately and completely. So something there is amiss...

Maybe the only reason is that Luke  already feels some darkness in her (Kylo's presence?) and is simply afraid to fail once again as he did with Kylo. However, if Rey is gonna to be truly tempted in Ep.VIII, I can't imagine that the only reason would be: she is simply attracted to the villain. There must be something more that would raise conflict in her and give her some more reason to fall in love with Kylo. The only personal reason that I see is her birth family's fate because her only real motivation/obsession in Ep.VII is to be reunited with them.

The dialogue with Maz Kanata makes me think that Rey's parents' destiny will have a profound impact on her even if her heroine's journey is not where she come's from (behind: find her birth family) but where she goes (ahead: find her future family) by finding out who is that someone that corresponds to the belonging she seeks (her future husband). Given Maz's facial expression and Rey's reaction to the "they're never coming back" line, it is hard to believe that her parents are still alive. Natural deaths are no common thing in Star Wars...

...and Rey seems a little too much fascinated by Luke from the beginning!


What if Rey would turn to the dark side because of Luke (symbolized by the camera movement from the right to the left in the ending scene) and she would return to the light because Kylo would be the one (instead of Luke) to come back for her - I'll come back sweetheat, I promise! - (symbolized by Rey's position on the right side of the screen while she was on the left side in the two previous scenes with Kylo)?



But this is pure speculation! Wink
@reylo1992

You know I always thought he just sensed who she is here or recognised the gesture from a long time ago but what if Luke also had a vision of this saber  holding girl like kylo did?

But then I think the visions are unique to Rey and kylo and something new. It's a bit odd if Luke has them too, lots of folks held that saber and never got visions,  has  the lore ever set up force backs before in the past before TFA?

Panki?
avatar
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2379
Likes : 10021
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by panki on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 5:25 am

@Gemini

In canon, only Quinlan Vos has shown the ability of holding/touching an object, specifically a lightsaber and having a forceback.....even in the EU, this ability is found mostly among the Kiffar (Quinlan's people).....Luke has this ability to some extent in the EU but he could sense emotions people felt in the past track them but not touch an object and get forcebacks.

panki
Moderator

Messages : 3345
Likes : 12460
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 10:59 pm

Someone on another forum dug up an old interview with Daisy from BEFORE TFA was released, and I thought that it was worth sharing here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/next-gen-2015-new-star-836913

This is the bit that's relevant to this thread:

Daisy Ridley Q&A wrote:
Everyone wants to know who Rey's parents are. Do you know?

Yeah.

Will the viewer know after the first episode or not necessarily?

Questions will be answered, absolutely. The main question will be answered.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5268
Likes : 27550
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by IoJovi on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:02 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Someone on another forum dug up an old interview with Daisy from BEFORE TFA was released, and I thought that it was worth sharing here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/next-gen-2015-new-star-836913

This is the bit that's relevant to this thread:

Daisy Ridley Q&A wrote:
Everyone wants to know who Rey's parents are. Do you know?

Yeah.

Will the viewer know after the first episode or not necessarily?

Questions will be answered, absolutely. The main question will be answered.
@ISeeAnIsland

The main question being is Rey Luke or Leia's. Yeah that was a pretty clear no... Laughing

At least to me...
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6972
Likes : 39803
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:16 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Someone on another forum dug up an old interview with Daisy from BEFORE TFA was released, and I thought that it was worth sharing here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/next-gen-2015-new-star-836913

This is the bit that's relevant to this thread:

Daisy Ridley Q&A wrote:
Everyone wants to know who Rey's parents are. Do you know?

Yeah.

Will the viewer know after the first episode or not necessarily?

Questions will be answered, absolutely. The main question will be answered.
@ISeeAnIsland

The main question being is Rey Luke or Leia's. Yeah that was a pretty clear no... Laughing

At least to me...
@IoJovi

That was my interpretation of the exchange. Clearly, Daisy had no idea how far the Rey Skywalker red herring was going to be pushed by editing/marketing/the media.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5268
Likes : 27550
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by IoJovi on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:26 pm

Yeah, I don't think any of the folks in charge knew how far sideways the Reywalker speculation was going to go.  It may have been an accidental slip, but I don't think JJ's half hearted retraction during Reygate was his idea.  It most likely was Disney or possibly some higher up at Lucasfilm that wanted to keep the buzz going.  

Everything we've found so far has been planted there purposely by the filmmakers with painstaking care.  Why would they want their film misinterpretated?  Sure, there's always the surprise twist, but as we know there are folks out there who have put their heart and soul into Reywalker that are very likely going to end up disappointed.  TPTB have to know that.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6972
Likes : 39803
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by CienaRee on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 2:04 am

@IoJovi wrote:Yeah, I don't think any of the folks in charge knew how far sideways the Reywalker speculation was going to go.  It may have been an accidental slip, but I don't think JJ's half hearted retraction during Reygate was his idea.  It most likely was Disney or possibly some higher up at Lucasfilm that wanted to keep the buzz going.  

Everything we've found so far has been planted there purposely by the filmmakers with painstaking care.  Why would they want their film misinterpretated?  Sure, there's always the surprise twist, but as we know there are folks out there who have put their heart and soul into Reywalker that are very likely going to end up disappointed.  TPTB have to know that.
@IoJovi

I'm imaginign right now tons of angry articales about fans being led to believe Rey's a Skywalker after episode 8 and honestly I don't blame them.It's awful to be led to believe that you theory is possibly the  most likely outcome and the  you realize that wasn't the case and TBTB just wanted your money,it makes you feel used.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1115
Likes : 5457
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm

@CienaRee wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:Yeah, I don't think any of the folks in charge knew how far sideways the Reywalker speculation was going to go.  It may have been an accidental slip, but I don't think JJ's half hearted retraction during Reygate was his idea.  It most likely was Disney or possibly some higher up at Lucasfilm that wanted to keep the buzz going.  

Everything we've found so far has been planted there purposely by the filmmakers with painstaking care.  Why would they want their film misinterpretated?  Sure, there's always the surprise twist, but as we know there are folks out there who have put their heart and soul into Reywalker that are very likely going to end up disappointed.  TPTB have to know that.
@IoJovi

I'm imaginign right now tons of angry articales about fans being led to believe Rey's a Skywalker after episode 8 and honestly I don't blame them.It's awful to be led to believe that you theory is possibly the  most likely outcome and the  you realize that wasn't the case and TBTB just wanted your money,it makes you feel used.
@CienaRee

I agree. There are going to be people who will be upset at the way that Reywalker was perpetuated.

On a slightly different note, I think it's telling that in multiple interviews, Daisy has said something along the lines of how she thinks it should be obvious that she's not a legacy child to anyone who has watched the film.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5268
Likes : 27550
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 2

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 6:22 pm

avatar
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2593
Likes : 5990
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum