Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by CienaRee on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:22

Has anyone's seen this articale about Finn/Finnrey?:
http://thefemmermaid.blogspot.bg/2016/07/choose-bad-guy-underlying-romantic.html
While the author's writing style is nothing special(not that I enjoy long covulted author styles mind you) but she does make some interesting points(eventhough tumblr seems to think she's some troll who wants attention? Question ).


Last edited by CienaRee on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:27; edited 1 time in total

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 957
Likes : 4744
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Mana on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:25

@CienaRee wrote:Has anyone's seen this articale about Finn/Finnrey?:
http://thefemmermaid.blogspot.bg/2016/07/choose-bad-guy-underlying-romantic.html
While the author's writing style is nothing special(not that I enjoy long covulted author styles mind you) but she does make some interesting points.
@CienaRee

yep, I saw it...I hate the idea of the love triangle, because I don't believe there is a love triangle..and I don't agree with every point she makes about Finn...but its an interesting perspective nonetheless...
avatar
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1248
Likes : 10713
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 25
Localisation : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by vaderito on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:43

Bravo! "his love is conditional" Perfectly said. Also, that he fought Kylo cause Kylo insulted his image. This is just great deconstruction of Finn. She's only wrong about love triangle. It may look so on surface, and I was fooled after first 2-3 viewings, but it isn't a triangle. Especially with FinnTran looming which was planned from the start (way before TFA was released).
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7149
Likes : 34030
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by CienaRee on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:44

@Mana wrote:
@CienaRee wrote:Has anyone's seen this articale about Finn/Finnrey?:
http://thefemmermaid.blogspot.bg/2016/07/choose-bad-guy-underlying-romantic.html
While the author's writing style is nothing special(not that I enjoy long covulted author styles mind you) but she does make some interesting points.
@CienaRee

 yep, I saw it...I hate the idea of the love triangle, because I don't believe there is a love triangle..and I don't agree with every point she makes about Finn...but its an interesting perspective nonetheless.

@Mana
Yeah,I don't either but some Finn/Finnrey fans immediatly jumped on her throat accusing her of being racist,etc eventhough she said she liked him.
I saw one anti  arguing with another fan who argued that Finn apeared to be too good when he should have had some trauma or been more conflicted and not break ties with his fellow Stormtroopers so easily after he's been  raised with them and on top of that brainwahsed to believe in certain ideology and the anti was like'' Finn did nothing wrong he was fighting a Facist government''but here''s the things Finn wasn't on the Resistanse side yet and while he freed Finn because he belived that was the right thing(which is  avery nobel thing to do)he was still fighting mostly to save himself and to run away from the FO which could be argued to be less noble than Reistanse fighter killing FO soldiers because they're at war.

 
@vaderito

That was really intresting point she made because it contrasts how Kylo reveals himself to Rey eventhough she views him as a creature and wants to kill him.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 957
Likes : 4744
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by vaderito on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:48

Kylo never lies to Rey and he shows her his real self. Also, Kylo didn't attack Finn when Finn was tending to Rey. Very important. This article is on the money.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7149
Likes : 34030
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Mana on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:50

yeah..I think one of the beauties of Finn's character is like Rey and Kylo, he is also less than perfect, and there are facets of his character that need to be explored and discussed in depth. Its sad that some of his fans can't accept that and immediately start accusing the writer of 'racism' when she's just giving her perspective on a character, because 'how dare she??!!'.....tumblr is just...weird...These characters have to start off somewhere, and they have to grow from there.
avatar
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1248
Likes : 10713
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 25
Localisation : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by CienaRee on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:51

@vaderito wrote:Kylo never lies to Rey and he shows her his real self. Also, Kylo didn't attack Finn when Finn was tending to Rey. Very important. This article is on the money.
@vaderito

Yeah,Finn only told Rey the truth when she want to beg him to stay and she wasn't even angry at him whcih shows that the writers wnated Finnrey to be seen only as friends.
Kylo not attacking Finn first is also another interestung choice the writers made.I mean like you said they could have had him attack Finn while he was tending to Rey.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 957
Likes : 4744
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by CienaRee on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 8:53

@Mana wrote:yeah..I think one of the beauties of Finn's character is like Rey and Kylo, he is also less than perfect, and there are facets of his character that need to be explored and discussed in depth. Its sad that some of his fans can't accept that and immediately start accusing the writer of 'racism' when she's just giving her perspective on a character, because 'how dare she??!!'.....tumblr is just...weird...These characters have to start off somewhere, and they have to grow from there.
@Mana

Yup,I think Finn is more like Han in ANH.Just like him he didn't want to get involved with the Resistance and it was Rey being in distress that made him join them.I like that the new trio isn't depcited in black and white terms and all three have their strenght and weaknesses.
The author of the artciale also said how she was gald that Rey wasn't just the string female character type and that she was a lot more complex than that.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 957
Likes : 4744
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 9:15

Love how someone immediately accuses the writer of being racist L.M.A.O. I hate internet culture. Insulting someone is always the coward's-way-out. Funny how that anti says people demonize Finn, but antis/FinnReys constantly ignore his most interesting character traits.

It was an interesting read for sure. Not the best format, but I'm not going to complain. I agree on a lot of points (definitely not all... some of it is just not applicable to me, especially some of the stuff on Finn's characterization), but regardless there won't be a love-triangle in this trilogy. I know others have taken to believing John Boyega lied when he said Finn and Rey were just friends and the romance isn't going in that direction, but eh... I don't see why he would jeopardize his career like that. It was an extremely public interview that reached beyond hardcore Star Wars fans. He straight-up said "the romance is not going to go that way".


Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:44; edited 1 time in total
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2705
Likes : 24908
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 22
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Xylo Ren on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 9:33

I'd say if Rey was still the only female lead in the cast, that a love triangle could happen. But she's not.

For the first time in a SW movie, we have the introduction of another young, attractive, involved female. Was she caught filming on Ach-To with Kylo and Rey? No. Oh, then she was filming with Poe on a X wing? No? Then where was she?

On a space horse with Finn.

But just one scene, she's not important.

From Vulture Cannes Interview:

She'll be the first Asian person to play a major Star Wars character, but no one knows anything about her. What can you tell us? What’s she like?
I love her. I love her. I think she’s fantastic. But she’ll tell her own story.

Not even to say what it’s like working with her?
She’s great. She’s freaking great, and I love her. I freaking love her. She’s fantastic. Seriously. She’s changed a lot in terms of perspective on just chemistry and industry. She’s a real cool girl.

And you’ll be working opposite each other most of the movie, right?
Girl, you know I can’t tell you that! [Laughs.] I don’t know what I can and can’t say. [It depends on] what beeps in my head whenever I ... [He indicates that he has an explosive device implanted in his temple]. But she’s fully in the movie, she’s a great character, and I can’t wait for you guys to be introduced to her.
avatar
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1673
Likes : 14442
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by ZioRen on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:09

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Love how someone immediately accuses the writer of being racist L.M.A.O. I hate internet culture. Insulting someone is always the coward's-way-out. Funny how that anti says people demonize Finn, but antis/FinnReys constantly ignore his most interesting character traits.

It was an interesting read for sure. Not the best format, but I'm not going to complain. I agree on a lot of points, but there won't be a love-triangle in this trilogy. I know others have taken to believing John Boyega lied when he said Finn and Rey were just friends and the romance isn't going in that direction, but eh... I don't see why he would jeopardize his career like that. It was an extremely public interview that reached beyond hardcore Star Wars fans. He straight-up said "the romance is not going to go that way".
@FrolickingFizzgig

Agreed. I don't agree with a lot of the author's points (sometimes I think the writers didn't really consider about how 'bad' some of Finn's actions look when you really think about them. Like how he happily celebrated his fellow Stormtroopers' deaths after the beginning even though he should know better than anyone that all of them are victims just like him. I'm not sure you were supposed to question that, even if it's questionable, which is a writing flaw) but to say it's racist is doing a disservice to Finn's character.

All of these things don't "demonize" Finn, they make him an interesting, well-rounded character with flaws. This weird trend to get mad/call some kind of -ism when any non-whitemale character has legitimate flaws will only be detrimental to diversity in films going forward. Nobody cares about flawless characters--they're boring. I'd rather the truly interesting characters not continue to be reserved mainly for white men, and these people are arguing for exactly that without even realizing it.

And yeah, I agree that I really wasn't seeing a love triangle so that part of the analysis fell flat for me. I don't think Finn wanted to save Rey to impress her and increase his romantic chances. I think it was clear that he really just cared about her. Any kind of "romantic" vibe was gone by that point, in my eyes. It was much more deep friendship, familial even, by the end. Which John pretty much confirmed in that interview that people like to ignore.
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1035
Likes : 6451
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by BastilaBey on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:34

I really don't like that article. Not only is the assumption that there's going to be a love triangle looking increasingly unlikely after Boyega's comments, I'm just not down for people attacking Finn's character in an argument for why Rey should end up with Kylo. Rey and Finn's friendship is incredibly important. Finn isn't a 'nice guy' acting out of self interest to get into Rey's pants, he genuinely cares for her. Why are friendships so often overlooked as if there has to be an ulterior motive? Rey always wanted her family to come back for her, and Finn did. He's her family now.
avatar
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2349
Likes : 23472
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by ZioRen on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:38

@BastilaBey wrote:I really don't like that article. Not only is the assumption that there's going to be a love triangle looking increasingly unlikely after Boyega's comments, I'm just not down for people attacking Finn's character in an argument for why Rey should end up with Kylo. Rey and Finn's friendship is incredibly important. Finn isn't a 'nice guy' acting out of self interest to get into Rey's pants, he genuinely cares for her. Why are friendships so often overlooked as if there has to be an ulterior motive? Rey always wanted her family to come back for her, and Finn did. He's her family now.
@BastilaBey

Yeah the description of Finn's relationship with and feelings about Rey were where this article fell apart for me. It was reading way too much into things to try to take something negative out of it. I do agree that Finn's conflict appears to be "man vs self" and the cowardice of some of his actions, though. But the author doesn't put enough emphasis on his character growth when he ends up willing to risk it all (and nearly does) for Rey. They just kind of toss that in there as an afterthought and connect it to him wanting to impress Rey, which isn't true. I think they were a little caught up in the "love triangle" interpretation and missed the point.

I also get the impression that they may go easier on Kylo to make their point, which is going to look weird and pretty biased after this somewhat harsh analysis of Finn.


Last edited by ZioRen on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:47; edited 2 times in total
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1035
Likes : 6451
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:43

@BastilaBey wrote:I really don't like that article. Not only is the assumption that there's going to be a love triangle looking increasingly unlikely after Boyega's comments, I'm just not down for people attacking Finn's character in an argument for why Rey should end up with Kylo. Rey and Finn's friendship is incredibly important. Finn isn't a 'nice guy' acting out of self interest to get into Rey's pants, he genuinely cares for her. Why are friendships so often overlooked as if there has to be an ulterior motive? Rey always wanted her family to come back for her, and Finn did. He's her family now.
@BastilaBey
At this point people just need to do their freaking research. I get that we're more "on top" of certain things in comparison to other fans, but that Boyega interview was months ago, could not have been more final and would have been directly relevant to the topic of the article. We can only know the truth for sure when we see VIII, but as far as I'm concerned there will be no Finn and Rey romance, attraction, anything. They are just friends.

Finn is still an important character, despite what some hardcore "Reylos" like to think. Finn is not just in the story to be Rey's second love-interest or side-kick. I actually think Finn is misinterpreted by fans almost as much (or maybe as much) as Kylo is. He's neither a full-blown coward who lies and saves girls to get into their pants (lolwat) nor a knight in shining armour with no flaws who deserves to "get the girl".

I still don't think the writer deserved to be called racist though lol.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2705
Likes : 24908
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 22
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by BastilaBey on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 12:51

@frolickingfizzgig I guess I can see both sides of that. There's a lot of negativity directed at Finn that I just don't believe would be given to a white male lead. Finn to me is the closest character to a Han Solo type, acting initially in self interest (although being afraid is clearly different to being materialistic and after money), but accepting the call and becoming a hero. It's why I like the idea of him being non-FS, too, it'd be another Han parallel that has him leading his own plot and hero's journey.

But take a lot of the reactions to Hux's so-called sympathetic backstory, for example. Man has been woobified all over tumblr, by Kylux shippers and non-shippers alike. We already knew Finn grew up without his family, without even a name or sense of self. I just could not bring myself to feel sympathetic for Hux, not unless he actually shows some conflict in VIII - and he's not going to based on what we saw in TFA. I could be wrong, I know, but I doubt it. Finn is presented as good and just, even if his characterization might be shaky. The narrative celebrates his actions and condemns the villains'. It just makes me uncomfortable, this kind of 'analysis'.
avatar
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2349
Likes : 23472
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 13:08

@BastilaBey wrote:@frolickingfizzgig I guess I can see both sides of that. There's a lot of negativity directed at Finn that I just don't believe would be given to a white male lead. Finn to me is the closest character to a Han Solo type, acting initially in self interest (although being afraid is clearly different to being materialistic and after money), but accepting the call and becoming a hero. It's why I like the idea of him being non-FS, too, it'd be another Han parallel that has him leading his own plot and hero's journey.

But take a lot of the reactions to Hux's so-called sympathetic backstory, for example. Man has been woobified all over tumblr, by Kylux shippers and non-shippers alike. We already knew Finn grew up without his family, without even a name or sense of self. I just could not bring myself to feel sympathetic for Hux, not unless he actually shows some conflict in VIII - and he's not going to based on what we saw in TFA. I could be wrong, I know, but I doubt it. Finn is presented as good and just, even if his characterization might be shaky. The narrative celebrates his actions and condemns the villains'. It just makes me uncomfortable, this kind of 'analysis'.
@BastilaBey
I definitely understand. I get secondhand embarrassment from stuff like this too because it reaches out to more people. It's another way of confirming what a lot of antis already think about "Reylos" (that they all mischaracterize Finn in order to pave the way for Kylo). I just don't see it that way at all. If Kylo and Rey are paired off it's because they were always intended to be paired off, not because Finn is black/a "bad" good guy and doesn't deserve Rey because he lied to her. Kylo did far worse things to Rey, including strapping her to a chair, violently reading her mind, killing her father-figure and severely wounding her best friend/new brother. Finn is not the thing standing in the way. That's Kylo himself, but that's what the next two films are for. Why tell a story if the characters aren't going to develop? Why introduce someone lost and not show them being found? Above all, why make so many people care about Kylo? That's the crux of it all. Failing to give Kylo great development would not only not fit at all with anything we saw in TFA, it would be cruel and unusual to create a narrative/character that incites sympathy in countless people and then turn around and say "Never mind, he's bad, that's all there is to it." The lost, corrupted and the deluded can find their way again, both in the real world and in fiction, especially an optimistic coming-of-age fairytale like Star Wars.

The Hux thing makes me uncomfortable too because I feel there is suddenly more sympathy for his background than for Finn's. They just wanted to explore the characters' background in separate material because it likely won't be elaborated upon in the films. That's why it's in a book. Star Wars has always made a habit of fleshing out its villains. I don't know why it surprises people that Hux is no different... it's not like Boba Fett wasn't given a sad childhood in AotC.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2705
Likes : 24908
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 22
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by ZioRen on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 13:13

@BastilaBey wrote:@frolickingfizzgig I guess I can see both sides of that. There's a lot of negativity directed at Finn that I just don't believe would be given to a white male lead. Finn to me is the closest character to a Han Solo type, acting initially in self interest (although being afraid is clearly different to being materialistic and after money), but accepting the call and becoming a hero. It's why I like the idea of him being non-FS, too, it'd be another Han parallel that has him leading his own plot and hero's journey.

But take a lot of the reactions to Hux's so-called sympathetic backstory, for example. Man has been woobified all over tumblr, by Kylux shippers and non-shippers alike. We already knew Finn grew up without his family, without even a name or sense of self. I just could not bring myself to feel sympathetic for Hux, not unless he actually shows some conflict in VIII - and he's not going to based on what we saw in TFA. I could be wrong, I know, but I doubt it. Finn is presented as good and just, even if his characterization might be shaky. The narrative celebrates his actions and condemns the villains'. It just makes me uncomfortable, this kind of 'analysis'.
@BastilaBey

A lot of Kylux fans had already been woobifying Hux to a ridiculous degree for a while before this backstory was revealed, and now it's even worse. He's barely recognizable in the fanworks anymore and the amount of cooing over him is a little weird, which has turned me off the ship quite a bit (but that's a whole other story!). Though it's a completely flawed logic in general that I don't approve of at all, I wonder why more Finn fans don't have more ire towards Hux fans for loving/woobifying him like they do towards Kylo fans. At least Kylo is an important character with a big arc ahead of him.

Regarding Finn, if we're talking pure Tumblr shipping discourse, I would actually say that'd Finn would be MORE demonized if he was white. Because people wouldn't feel the need to check themselves and would do what annoying fans always do in "ship wars": read everything negative possible into the "rival" character. But that's just Tumblr shipping. Your point still stands otherwise.

I'm cool with analyses of Finn that focus on his flaws because that's what makes a character interesting for me, and a lot of Finn fans are sadly hesitant to explore those aspects of him. But this analysis does go too far with it.
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1035
Likes : 6451
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 13:13

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:@frolickingfizzgig I guess I can see both sides of that. There's a lot of negativity directed at Finn that I just don't believe would be given to a white male lead. Finn to me is the closest character to a Han Solo type, acting initially in self interest (although being afraid is clearly different to being materialistic and after money), but accepting the call and becoming a hero. It's why I like the idea of him being non-FS, too, it'd be another Han parallel that has him leading his own plot and hero's journey.

But take a lot of the reactions to Hux's so-called sympathetic backstory, for example. Man has been woobified all over tumblr, by Kylux shippers and non-shippers alike. We already knew Finn grew up without his family, without even a name or sense of self. I just could not bring myself to feel sympathetic for Hux, not unless he actually shows some conflict in VIII - and he's not going to based on what we saw in TFA. I could be wrong, I know, but I doubt it. Finn is presented as good and just, even if his characterization might be shaky. The narrative celebrates his actions and condemns the villains'. It just makes me uncomfortable, this kind of 'analysis'.
@BastilaBey
I definitely understand. I get secondhand embarrassment from stuff like this too because it reaches out to more people. It's another way of confirming what a lot of antis already think about "Reylos" (that they all mischaracterize Finn in order to pave the way for Kylo). I just don't see it that way at all. If Kylo and Rey are paired off it's because they were always intended to be paired off, not because Finn is black/a "bad" good guy and doesn't deserve Rey because he lied to her. Kylo did far worse things to Rey, including strapping her to a chair, violently reading her mind, killing her father-figure and severely wounding her best friend/new brother. Finn is not the thing standing in the way. That's Kylo himself, but that's what the next two films are for. Why tell a story if the characters aren't going to develop? Why introduce someone lost and not show them being found? Above all, why make so many people care about Kylo? That's the crux of it all. Failing to give Kylo great development would not only not fit at all with anything we saw in TFA, it would be cruel and unusual to create a narrative/character that incites sympathy in countless people and then turn around and say "Never mind, he's bad, that's all there is to it." The lost, corrupted and the deluded can find their way again, both in the real world and in fiction, especially an optimistic coming-of-age fairytale like Star Wars.

The Hux thing makes me uncomfortable too because I feel there is suddenly more sympathy for his background than for Finn's. They just wanted to explore the characters' background in separate material because it likely won't be elaborated upon in the films. That's why it's in a book. Star Wars has always made a habit of fleshing out its villains. I don't know why it surprises people that Hux is different... it's not like Boba Fett wasn't given a sad childhood in AotC.

@FrolickingFizzgig Agreed. Bobba Fett also had a pretty sad life after RotJ in the EU. He married and had a daughter, whom he eventually left. Both of them end up being brutally murdered afterwards and he never gets the chance to reconcile with them. His daughter is tortured and murdered by Jacen Solo too! But it never changes the fact that Fett is still a ruthless bounty hunter and villain! Different to Hux I know, but still.

avatar
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1462
Likes : 8117
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 13:23

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:@frolickingfizzgig I guess I can see both sides of that. There's a lot of negativity directed at Finn that I just don't believe would be given to a white male lead. Finn to me is the closest character to a Han Solo type, acting initially in self interest (although being afraid is clearly different to being materialistic and after money), but accepting the call and becoming a hero. It's why I like the idea of him being non-FS, too, it'd be another Han parallel that has him leading his own plot and hero's journey.

But take a lot of the reactions to Hux's so-called sympathetic backstory, for example. Man has been woobified all over tumblr, by Kylux shippers and non-shippers alike. We already knew Finn grew up without his family, without even a name or sense of self. I just could not bring myself to feel sympathetic for Hux, not unless he actually shows some conflict in VIII - and he's not going to based on what we saw in TFA. I could be wrong, I know, but I doubt it. Finn is presented as good and just, even if his characterization might be shaky. The narrative celebrates his actions and condemns the villains'. It just makes me uncomfortable, this kind of 'analysis'.
@BastilaBey
I definitely understand. I get secondhand embarrassment from stuff like this too because it reaches out to more people. It's another way of confirming what a lot of antis already think about "Reylos" (that they all mischaracterize Finn in order to pave the way for Kylo). I just don't see it that way at all. If Kylo and Rey are paired off it's because they were always intended to be paired off, not because Finn is black/a "bad" good guy and doesn't deserve Rey because he lied to her. Kylo did far worse things to Rey, including strapping her to a chair, violently reading her mind, killing her father-figure and severely wounding her best friend/new brother. Finn is not the thing standing in the way. That's Kylo himself, but that's what the next two films are for. Why tell a story if the characters aren't going to develop? Why introduce someone lost and not show them being found? Above all, why make so many people care about Kylo? That's the crux of it all. Failing to give Kylo great development would not only not fit at all with anything we saw in TFA, it would be cruel and unusual to create a narrative/character that incites sympathy in countless people and then turn around and say "Never mind, he's bad, that's all there is to it." The lost, corrupted and the deluded can find their way again, both in the real world and in fiction, especially an optimistic coming-of-age fairytale like Star Wars.

The Hux thing makes me uncomfortable too because I feel there is suddenly more sympathy for his background than for Finn's. They just wanted to explore the characters' background in separate material because it likely won't be elaborated upon in the films. That's why it's in a book. Star Wars has always made a habit of fleshing out its villains. I don't know why it surprises people that Hux is different... it's not like Boba Fett wasn't given a sad childhood in AotC.

@FrolickingFizzgig Agreed. Bobba Fett also had a pretty sad life after RotJ in the EU. He married and had a daughter, whom he eventually left. Both of them end up being brutally murdered afterwards and he never gets the chance to reconcile with them. His daughter is tortured and murdered by Jacen Solo too! But it never changes the fact that Fett is still a ruthless bounty hunter and villain! Different to Hux I know, but still.

@AppleCrumble122
And I know people would probably use what we just said as an excuse for why nothing in Kylo's backstory will be relevant to his future development, but everybody needs to accept that there is going to be a double-standard here. The fact that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid MATTERS. Hux does not and will never have that liberty, nor does he have the liberty of being made sympathetic. Kylo and Hux are completely different characters who will play different roles in the story, one of which will be much bigger. Above all, Kylo has the gift of being a main character. People don't care about him for no reason. Creative decisions and all that, narrative and character structure, foreshadowing, etc. And Kylo's backstory will likely not be as important as his future.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2705
Likes : 24908
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 22
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by vaderito on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 15:29

@Xylo Ren wrote:I'd say if Rey was still the only female lead in the cast, that a love triangle could happen. But she's not.

For the first time in a SW movie, we have the introduction of another young, attractive, involved female.
Was she caught filming on Ach-To with Kylo and Rey? No. Oh, then she was filming with Poe on a X wing? No? Then where was she?

On a space horse with Finn.

But just one scene, she's not important.

From Vulture Cannes Interview:

She'll be the first Asian person to play a major Star Wars character, but no one knows anything about her. What can you tell us? What’s she like?
I love her. I love her. I think she’s fantastic. But she’ll tell her own story.

Not even to say what it’s like working with her?
She’s great. She’s freaking great, and I love her. I freaking love her. She’s fantastic. Seriously. She’s changed a lot in terms of perspective on just chemistry and industry. She’s a real cool girl.

And you’ll be working opposite each other most of the movie, right?
Girl, you know I can’t tell you that! [Laughs.] I don’t know what I can and can’t say. [It depends on] what beeps in my head whenever I ... [He indicates that he has an explosive device implanted in his temple]. But she’s fully in the movie, she’s a great character, and I can’t wait for you guys to be introduced to her.
@Xylo Ren

This. All of this. Episode VIII is going to turn everything on its head with the inclusion of KMT. No love triangles (unless she and Poe fight over Finn which would be fun to see), but 2 romances in each plot.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7149
Likes : 34030
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Finn as Luke

Post by Kaleyna on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 15:41

(I posted this before and it never showed up so apologies if it does down the line)

For me, Finn is a lot like Luke in the very first movie: a young man-boy who is inexperienced in the world and unhappy with his life. He sees a beautiful young woman in distress (Leia when R2 broadcasts her message to Obi Wan and Rey when she is fighting those trying to take BB8) and wants to see himself as the Knight in Shining Armor coming to her rescue.

But both Rey and Leia are strong, capable women who mostly don't need any rescuing. They need their other half: a man (Kylo and Han) who constantly challenges them, keeps them on their toes, makes them grow and rethink their view of the world, who they want to punch in the face one minute only to follow it with a kiss. H-beating

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it Heh.
avatar
Kaleyna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 122
Likes : 508
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Kaleyna on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 15:45

I should also add I felt zero romantic chemistry between Rey and Finn. A deep bond and love, yes. Romantic love, no.
avatar
Kaleyna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 122
Likes : 508
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by CienaRee on Sat 16 Jul 2016 - 15:48

@BastilaBey wrote:I really don't like that article. Not only is the assumption that there's going to be a love triangle looking increasingly unlikely after Boyega's comments, I'm just not down for people attacking Finn's character in an argument for why Rey should end up with Kylo. Rey and Finn's friendship is incredibly important. Finn isn't a 'nice guy' acting out of self interest to get into Rey's pants, he genuinely cares for her. Why are friendships so often overlooked as if there has to be an ulterior motive? Rey always wanted her family to come back for her, and Finn did. He's her family now.
@BastilaBey

I actually really hope they keep exploring and strenghetning Finn and Rey's friendship even if they don't reuntie in episode 8.And while it was great that they found each other and Rey has sort of a brother figure now in Finn that she can rely on and isn
't completly alone honestly they don't really know that much about one another.I mean Finn doesn't even know Rey's a FS or the reason she wants to go back to Jakku because either she didn't trust him or later on she didn't think he would understand her.So I really hope they don't ignore that and give them an opprotunity to learn more things about one another.I really can't wait to see them meet each other again especially if it's in epispode 9 after they've gone through some growing up and battles of their own.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 957
Likes : 4744
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum