Marketing for Episode VIII

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Marketing for Episode VIII

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@Darth Dingbat
You're quite right. I just looked it up myself. This is the MSW article about the artist/poster: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/20321/
@FrolickingFizzgig

I was taking Pablo's word for it (just shows he's not 100% correct all the time) but it appears it was done by someone else who imitated Struzan's designs http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erik-sharkey/why-artist-drew-struzan-i_b_8735840.html In which case, I would personally be even more dubious about attaching any meaning to it, but that's just me!
@Mrs Ben Solo

Not sure I agree with you on that... I mean, the poster isn't "evidence" for anything, you're right about that. But even if he knows nothing about the direction of the story, I'm sure the designer was given very specific demands. Surely he would have suggested different composition ideas for the marketing department to choose from, and details would have been tweaked according to their feedback.

I seriously doubt they just showed him the film and told him to come up with something passable...
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 11:57 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
You're quite right. I just looked it up myself. This is the MSW article about the artist/poster: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/20321/
@FrolickingFizzgig

I was taking Pablo's word for it (just shows he's not 100% correct all the time) but it appears it was done by someone else who imitated Struzan's designs http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erik-sharkey/why-artist-drew-struzan-i_b_8735840.html In which case, I would personally be even more dubious about attaching any meaning to it, but that's just me!
@Mrs Ben Solo

Not sure I agree with you on that... I mean, the poster isn't "evidence" for anything, you're right about that. But even if he knows nothing about the direction of the story, I'm sure the designer was given very specific demands. Surely he would have suggested different composition ideas for the marketing department to choose from, and details would have been tweaked according to their feedback.

I seriously doubt they just showed him the film and told him to come up with something passable...
@Darth Dingbat
A very honest mistake on Pablo's part considering Struzan's past work on the posters. The style is actually very different though (looking at them side-by-side). Struzan's have a more classic painting feel to them, whereas the TFA poster is photographic and more hyper-realistic in style. But I don't think there needs to be a meaning beyond "hero/villain dynamic is important".
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 12:02 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

@Darth Dingbat
A very honest mistake on Pablo's part considering Struzan's past work on the posters. The style is actually very different though (looking at them side-by-side). Struzan's have a more classic painting feel to them, whereas the TFA poster is photographic and more hyper-realistic in style. But I don't think there needs to be a meaning beyond "hero/villain dynamic is important".
@FrolickingFizzgig

Everything is going to get picked apart anyway, from the poster to the trailer and every other morsel they give us. That's fine and it's all part of the fun. Maybe the tone of the Episode VIII poster will be such that things like Reylo will be self-evident. I'm not expecting that to be the case, but you never know!
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 12:27 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this. The artist would've looked at past SW posters for reference, and asked to used the same type of art and style. The orb of light shown in the PT posters was a conscious decision in my opinion, and one they wanted to have again on the TFA poster. The eye is drawn to light, yellow and red being the most attention-grabbing colors. By putting the orb there, your eye immediately goes to Kylo and Rey. The position of their bodies is off to me, I mean if Rey is the main character she should be facing us straight on, but she's not.

These are all conscious decisions in what will look aesthetically pleasing, but also, what is congruent with the film. I agree with Dingbat that there were demands issued, and approval levels passed. I'll stand by the convictions that the orb does not prove Reylo, but is not accidental in any form. There were other ways they could've shown Kylo and Rey on the poster, perhaps facing each other offensively, or not even close to each other in any form. I suppose only time will tell.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 2:45 pm

Xylo Ren wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

I agree with this. The artist would've looked at past SW posters for reference, and asked to used the same type of art and style. The orb of light shown in the PT posters was a conscious decision in my opinion, and one they wanted to have again on the TFA poster. The eye is drawn to light, yellow and red being the most attention-grabbing colors. By putting the orb there, your eye immediately goes to Kylo and Rey. The position of their bodies is off to me, I mean if Rey is the main character she should be facing us straight on, but she's not.

These are all conscious decisions in what will look aesthetically pleasing, but also, what is congruent with the film. I agree with Dingbat that there were demands issued, and approval levels passed. I'll stand by the convictions that the orb does not prove Reylo, but is not accidental in any form. There were other ways they could've shown Kylo and Rey on the poster, perhaps facing each other offensively, or not even close to each other in any form. I suppose only time will tell.
@Xylo Ren

I agree with both you and @Darth Dingbat.  All of these SW saga posters have a certain style to them, and they all seem to do a pretty good job of messaging.  (The Gone With the Wind Han and Leia pose comes to mind ... that certainly sent a message to the audience after they had spent 3 years thinking Leia was supposed to be with Luke).  Months ago @panki did a really interesting analysis of all the posters, and there were a lot of repetitive elements, like orbs and size and placement of people, that gave pretty clear messages as to what was going to happen in the films.  The orb thing in particular comes up over and over again. 

Also, companies like LF and Disney are all about controlling the timing of the release of information and curating just how that information is released.  Just like anything else that comes directly from LF, things like official posters won't be released until a bunch of eyes go over them and approve them ... and given the similarity of style and elements from poster to poster, it's basically guaranteed that the designers received some kind of direction of where and how to place characters whether they knew the plot or not.

So no, an orb between Kylo and Rey is not some slam dunk evidence for Reylo ... but considering almost any LF approved imaging that I've seen puts them together ... I think you can at least say that this might be evidence of a pattern that LF wants Kylo and Rey in each other's orbit in official messaging for some reason.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 3:07 pm

I'll be curious about the marketing. But to be honest, I tuned out almost all of the marketing in the run up to TFA, including being stuck in a workplace meeting which turned into a 20 minute discussion of the teaser trailer. And that discussion is probably why I didn't get excited at all about TFA because it definitely sounded like "the greatest hits." Definitely not anything which piqued my interest, versus finally going to see it with no expectations and being completely shocked/surprised. So marketing, at least for somebody like me, is there to drive ticket sales and excitement. But going back and comparing what was released versus what the final product was, seem like two different things for me. It wouldn't be surprising if they did end up playing along with some expectations about it being like ESB and showing clips in a context which make it look similar.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 5:45 pm

snufkin wrote:I'll be curious about the marketing. But to be honest, I tuned out almost all of the marketing in the run up to TFA, including being stuck in a workplace meeting which turned into a 20 minute discussion of the teaser trailer. And that discussion is probably why I didn't get excited at all about TFA because it definitely sounded like "the greatest hits." Definitely not anything which piqued my interest, versus finally going to see it with no expectations and being completely shocked/surprised. So marketing, at least for somebody like me, is there to drive ticket sales and excitement. But going back and comparing what was released versus what the final product was, seem like two different things for me. It wouldn't be surprising if they did end up playing along with some expectations about it being like ESB and showing clips in a context which make it look similar.
@snufkin

TFA marketing really wanted to hammer home that it wasn't the prequels and would be more in-line with the OT. Very nostalgia driven, but I guess that's what sold tickets and got people interested? I hope 8's marketing won't cling too hard to the ESB nostalgia appeal.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 5:51 pm

Helix wrote:
snufkin wrote:I'll be curious about the marketing. But to be honest, I tuned out almost all of the marketing in the run up to TFA, including being stuck in a workplace meeting which turned into a 20 minute discussion of the teaser trailer. And that discussion is probably why I didn't get excited at all about TFA because it definitely sounded like "the greatest hits." Definitely not anything which piqued my interest, versus finally going to see it with no expectations and being completely shocked/surprised. So marketing, at least for somebody like me, is there to drive ticket sales and excitement. But going back and comparing what was released versus what the final product was, seem like two different things for me. It wouldn't be surprising if they did end up playing along with some expectations about it being like ESB and showing clips in a context which make it look similar.

@snufkin

TFA marketing really wanted to hammer home that it wasn't the prequels and would be more in-line with the OT. Very nostalgia driven, but I guess that's what sold tickets and got people interested? I hope 8's marketing won't cling too hard to the ESB nostalgia appeal.

@Helix

Based on the work conversation I had to sit through, all parties involved were hyped up on both the nostalgia and Disney factor*. So it'll be interesting to see how much of the ongoing magic trick of using nostalgia to hide the more radical/new elements will be present in the marketing. For comparison's sake, somebody put the original trailer for ESB up on YouTube. Shows key scenes, but it's basically a lot of blowing stuff up and running around:

* Both were actually turn-offs for me because: 1) I lost interest in the OT around the age of 11-12 and 2) I am a bad Californian who has disliked anything Disney since childhood. Like going to Disneyland sounds like Hell on Earth to me, up there with Burning Man.  So the combination of "thing I stopped being interested in when I was in the 6th grade" and "thing which I have an intense dislike of going back to early childhood" makes me the least likely person to be interested in this trilogy and obviously not somebody they're concerned about marketing to.  It wasn't until sometime in January that a friend mentioned on Facebook that Rey was actually the heroine, instead of the stereotypical quirky girl sidekick of the heroes (basically Hermione) that I started to think that it'd be worth going to a matinee.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 3:09 am

Guys, do you think Daisy and Adam will get lots of promotional interviews (TV, magazines) together for VIII? Last year, it was a lot of Daisy and John pairing, but I don't think it'll be Daisy/John again for next year, since they seem to be filming separately most of the time? I don't know if that makes sense. I was expecting Rey/Finn/Poe trio adventure together, but looks like its gonna be mainly Rey/Luke/Kylo adventure? lol, dunno.

I just want to see more Daisy/Adam pairing in promotional stuff Very Happy
shii405
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 3:40 am

If they want to keep Reylo under wraps, they might not have too much of joint promotion with Daisy and Adam and be less conspicuous about it.

Marketing will be interesting, for sure.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 4:24 am

shii405 wrote:Guys, do you think Daisy and Adam will get lots of promotional interviews (TV, magazines) together for VIII? Last year, it was a lot of Daisy and John pairing, but I don't think it'll be Daisy/John again for next year, since they seem to be filming separately most of the time? I don't know if that makes sense. I was expecting Rey/Finn/Poe trio adventure together, but looks like its gonna be mainly Rey/Luke/Kylo adventure? lol, dunno.

I just want to see more Daisy/Adam pairing in promotional stuff Very Happy
@shii405

Someone mentioned here before that it would most likely be Mark and Daisy together since ofc that's what most audiences are expecting to see in VIII. 

It will most likely fuel more Reywalker theories, but I think Daisy and Mark can handle the commotion and still lure audiences in despite not answering anything substantial.

However I believe that there is a good chance that Daisy and Adam will promote together atleast once. Surely the questions they'll get is about the clash of the Light and the Dark. However, I think they'll even be more vague when it comes to answering questions. Adam is really good at that and Daisy is an expert at diverting the topic.
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 10:57 am

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:40 am

EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:03 pm

EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

They will collaborate with Louboutin? This will be my ruin.
@EchoBase

Of course, they've got to pick the label with the red soles Razz That shows their level of commitment to the red aesthetic of TLJ...
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:10 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

Of course, they've got to pick the label with the red soles Razz That shows their level of commitment to the red aesthetic of TLJ...
@Darth Dingbat

Daisy wears them very often after all. Imagine her wearing shiny black Pigalle Kylo Rens Very Happy.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:11 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@Darth Dingbat

Kylo Ren aesthetics 100%

Someone explain me how to walk in these? lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:17 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@Darth Dingbat

Kylo Ren aesthetics 100%

Someone explain me how to walk in these?  lol!
@Darth_Awakened

They may look hot, but no way would I wear those for more than 15 minutes at a time... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:24 pm

IoJovi wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@Darth Dingbat

Kylo Ren aesthetics 100%

Someone explain me how to walk in these?  lol!
@Darth_Awakened

They may look hot, but no way would I wear those for more than 15 minutes at a time... Laughing
@IoJovi

15 minutes is lot of time.

Less than 3 minutes for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@Darth Dingbat

Kylo Ren aesthetics 100%

@Darth_Awakened

I guess it's like gymnastics. You learn when you are young or you never learn. I have some university age cousins who wear them and I am always like "How are you not falling on your face?" Lol.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:33 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@Darth Dingbat

Kylo Ren aesthetics 100%

@Darth_Awakened

I guess it's like gymnastics. You learn when you are young or you never learn. I have some university age cousins who wear them and I am always like "How are you not falling on your face?" Lol.
@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I guess so.

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
@Darth_Awakened

@EchoBase

@Darth Dingbat

Kylo Ren aesthetics 100%

@Darth_Awakened

One of my favorite shots from Breaking Bad was Lydia climbing down into that underground train car/meth lab while wearing a pair of those.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:47 pm

Well damn, they shouldn't have fired Trevorrow because they could've had a subplot in IX where Rey runs around in those shoes : P. Also no marketing partnership with Trojan? Just think of the branding opportunities if there's some kind of romantic subplot in the ST!
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm

Oh, I love them!!!! H-beating Totally my style!!! And I can walk in heels just fine- maybe because I'm so small I always wear them when going out.
Even dance on them the whole night...
Night Huntress
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 2:02 pm

Night Huntress wrote:Oh, I love them!!!! H-beating Totally my style!!! And I can walk in heels just fine- maybe because I'm so small I always wear them when going out.
@Night Huntress

I think that they are easier for petite women. I'm pretty tall, so even when I was younger, even with chunkier heels (which were more of a thing years ago since I'm GenX), wearing very high heels made me feel like an awkward giant.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 2:06 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Night Huntress wrote:Oh, I love them!!!! H-beating Totally my style!!! And I can walk in heels just fine- maybe because I'm so small I always wear them when going out.
@Night Huntress

I think that they are easier for petite women. I'm pretty tall, so even when I was younger, even with chunkier heels (which were more of a thing years ago since I'm GenX), wearing very high heels made me feel like an awkward giant.
@SoloSideCousin

Haha! I don't think height has anything to do with it. I'm built like a hobbit, and there's no way that I could walk in those things!

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum