Marketing for Episode VIII

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Marketing for Episode VIII

Post by vaderito on Fri 16 Sep - 18:21

@snufkin Thank goodness they aren't writing the script. Even they would've fallen asleep had the movie been like they envisioned it.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 16 Sep - 18:32

vaderito wrote:@snufkin Thank goodness they aren't writing the script. Even they would've fallen asleep had the movie been like they envisioned it.

@vaderito

I think a lot of people jump to the easy conclusion that "Rey is a new Luke Skywalker for little girls" means that she's a carbon copy of that character type and narrative - which she's isn't. What it does mean is that it puts her in the center of the story, as the central protagonist and heroine. And that draws on a different well of narratives - not just folklore, but classic young female heroines like Dorothy Gale and Princess Ozma in the Oz books, Meg Murry in A Wrinkle in Time,  Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables (let's just imagine Ren is a Gilbert Blythe who's made some really bad life choices), Jo March in Little Women, Mathilda in A Very Long Engagement/Un long dimanche de fiançailles, Sybilla in My Brilliant Career, etc etc.  Even the point of Lizzy Bennet is that she was radically different from what was presented for female characters up to then, having a PoV, speaking with her own voice, and battling for her own agency (sweet Jane Bennet is what was expected for girls for that era). @BastilaBey can probably be a lot more articulate on this point than I can, with having read about the Heroine's Journey.

Anyways, sorry fanboys but different type of character and different type of story. Or to be more explicit, female driven story and characterization. That's what a lot of fanboys can't wrap their heads around, unless it's hemming her into the status quo where she assimilates to the boy's club of old school Jedi or becomes a helpmate for Finn joining the status quo. Which isn't what's happening here. Same way you very subversively have the female led LF bringing Leia front and center as the literal mother of the narrative - both for Ren and as the central backstory shown in Bloodline.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 16 Sep - 20:16

Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:@vaderito Yeah, thanks to Rogue One (which I can't get excited about to save my life) .
@WhatGirl

Same. I never cared for the Rebellion and I don't care for the heist either. We know how the story ends. They get the plans. Who cares who lives or dies?

@vaderito

Upon my word, I can't understand how anyone could NOT be as excited about RO as I am. It looks so good, and for some reason, I already love all the characters. Basically, I'm already wearing my 3D glasses.

Perhaps I'm just really easy to sell things to.

@Darth Dingbat

Same here! I'm actually really looking forward to it, too. I never read any of the old EU stuff, but I really enjoyed Bloodline and Life Debt (although I liked Bloodline more), and I can see RO being in the same family as Life Debt.

Plus, I really love the posters. I just love that shot of the beach with the looming Death Star. Clearly, I'm a sucker for marketing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn on Sat 17 Sep - 16:09

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:@vaderito Yeah, thanks to Rogue One (which I can't get excited about to save my life) .
@WhatGirl

Same. I never cared for the Rebellion and I don't care for the heist either. We know how the story ends. They get the plans. Who cares who lives or dies?

@vaderito

Upon my word, I can't understand how anyone could NOT be as excited about RO as I am. It looks so good, and for some reason, I already love all the characters. Basically, I'm already wearing my 3D glasses.

Perhaps I'm just really easy to sell things to.

@Darth Dingbat

Same here!  I'm actually really looking forward to it, too.  I never read any of the old EU stuff, but I really enjoyed Bloodline and Life Debt (although I liked Bloodline more), and I can see RO being in the same family as Life Debt.

Plus, I really love the posters. I just love that shot of the beach with the looming Death Star. Clearly, I'm a sucker for marketing.
@ISeeAnIsland

No shame for me here - I'm really looking forward to RO and I don't think it's just about the marketing at all - we just like SW.

Quite a few people here seem to be very Reylocentric - and that's fair enough, each to their own and all, but if you're a general SW fan you are likely to be looking forward to RO.
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Sat 17 Sep - 16:11

@Airemyn I'm a general Star Wars fan and will of course be going to see rogue one. But compared with episode VIII, I'm nowhere near as excited. It's kinda like the prequels, we know the outcome. I'm interested in the execution and if they can pull off a movie that isn't focused on the force but still within the gffa. But for the trilogy, we're already invested in the story and the characters and can't wait to see what happens next. Whole different ball game.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 17 Sep - 16:19

I am interested in Rogue One. I am not as excited about it as episode 8....
I guess we know that all them die or most of them in Rogue One?

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 17 Sep - 16:27

Birdwoman wrote:I am interested in Rogue One. I am not as excited about it as episode 8....
I guess we know that all them die or most of them in Rogue One?
@Birdwoman

Supposedly
Spoiler:
all of them were supposed to in the original ending. Only droid survived and brought plans to Leia. New ending spares more people.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Wed 21 Sep - 23:56

We have looked at the previous posters for Star Wars movies and analyzed them. People have wondered if the lens flare on the posters means anything as the orbs of light appear to be positioned over characters that are important to each other. I thought I would see if I could find out more about this as we will be scrutinising the poster and publicity images for Ep VIII when they come out.

Firstly, I asked Pablo if he knew anything about the posters and if the positioning of the lens flare/orbs of light had any special significance or meaning. He replied that to his knowledge it was all purely artistic and he knew of no special significance, but he said the person to ask would be the artist who designed the posters, Drew Struzan.

Drew Struzan has a Twitter account which doesn't appear to be active and an Offical Facebook page which seems to get updated more regularly. It might be worth asking a question on there, although it doesn't look like he responds to replies. https://www.facebook.com/drewstruzan/

I did find this interview Drew Struzan did about designing The Force Awakens movie poster, which is interesting (although he makes no mention of the lens flares). http://www.slashfilm.com/drew-struzan-force-awakens-opinions/

I checked out a few other online interviews he's done and found excerpts from a documentary about his art. This is an interesting clip because he states here that most of what he does artwise is done because it looks pretty. He is also describing the design of the Return of the Jedi poster, which was originally Revenge of the Jedi.

In conclusion, I cannot say for certain that the lens flares don't have any significance, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it!
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 22 Sep - 14:46

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I'm not sure which comes first, trailer or poster? If the trailer is first, I would expect some partial reveal of unmasked Kylo, half in shadow and half in light, depending on when they want to reveal his scarred face. They could have him unmasked in (unscarred side) profile on the poster to keep the full scar reveal for the movie.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do, Kylo's facial wound is going to be a big reveal.

motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Thu 22 Sep - 15:27

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Firstly, I asked Pablo if he knew anything about the posters and if the positioning of the lens flare/orbs of light had any special significance or meaning. He replied that to his knowledge it was all purely artistic and he knew of no special significance, but he said the person to ask would be the artist who designed the posters, Drew Struzan.

I think Pablo said that it was just a guess. He didn't seem to be professing to have particular knowledge on the subject.

I appreciate what you're doing here (trying to uncover the mystery/meaning of the lens flares in the posters). I had honestly not even noticed them before seeing the discussions about them on this board. I didn't know what a lens flare was and was like, what is everyone going on about? lol

They seem to be defined as showing where the main conflict is? That is what I gathered from the wiki page at least. It looks like they generally get placed between the protagonist and antagonist in the posters... and sometimes between the love interests especially if the relationship involves drama.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 22 Sep - 15:29

WhatGirl wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Firstly, I asked Pablo if he knew anything about the posters and if the positioning of the lens flare/orbs of light had any special significance or meaning. He replied that to his knowledge it was all purely artistic and he knew of no special significance, but he said the person to ask would be the artist who designed the posters, Drew Struzan.

I think Pablo said that it was just a guess. He didn't seem to be professing to have particular knowledge on the subject.

I appreciate what you're doing here (trying to uncover the mystery/meaning of the lens flares in the posters). I had honestly not even noticed them before seeing the discussions about them on this board. I didn't know what a lens flare was and was like, what is everyone going on about? lol

They seem to be defined as showing where the main conflict is? That is what I gathered from the wiki page at least. It looks like they generally get placed between the protagonist and antagonist in the posters... and sometimes between the love interests especially if the relationship involves drama.
@WhatGirl

It's still of interest to me that that largest lensflare covers the hearts of both Rey and Ren. It could be a coincidence, but then again... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Thu 22 Sep - 15:41

Aww, I really liked the idea that the orb of lights signify an important relationship between the characters. (Padme/Anakin; Qui Gon/Maul; Anakin/Obiwan).

Dunno
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 22 Sep - 15:59

Xylo Ren wrote:Aww, I really liked the idea that the orb of lights signify an important relationship between the characters. (Padme/Anakin; Qui Gon/Maul; Anakin/Obiwan).

Dunno
@Xylo Ren

From artist's POV it definitely means that. All works of art have a meaning that general public may not pick up on but they do for artists. For example, this is what Matt Busch said about his Celebration art (in comments):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZLeix6SkFw

Namaste! You guys are awesome! Totally made my day hearing the in-depth discussion of my art. You know- it's funny- you spend so long doing the research and planning and painting, you begin to wonder if anyone will even bother to pick up on the details. So this was just awesome to hear! And I'm not sure how much I'm able to elaborate, but you guys picked up on way more than most!

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 22 Sep - 16:02

vaderito wrote:
@WhatGirl

@vaderito

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to it either - but I think it's largely because I just can't wait to see what happens to Rey and Kylo.

motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Thu 22 Sep - 16:03

@iojovi

It's like... Kylo and Rey are positioned so tightly together on the poster that you'd need a crowbar to get them apart. They are overlapping and their weapons are combined practically into one. There's room on other areas of the poster to add an artistic visual such as a lens flare with more ease. But where did they end up putting it? Very snugly between Kylo and Rey. I get that it could be pure coincidence, an accident, someone's cat jumping onto the keyboard or what have you. But I find it interesting to ponder the possibilities of what meaning it could have, if any.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 22 Sep - 16:13

WhatGirl wrote:@iojovi

It's like... Kylo and Rey are positioned so tightly together on the poster that you'd need a crowbar to get them apart. They are overlapping and their weapons are combined practically into one. There's room on other areas of the poster to add an artistic visual such as a lens flare with more ease. But where did they end up putting it? Very snugly between Kylo and Rey. I get that it could be pure coincidence, an accident, someone's cat jumping onto the keyboard or what have you. But I find it interesting to ponder the possibilities of what meaning it could have, if any.
@WhatGirl

The thing is Drew Struzan (the artist) had only seen part of the movie and read the script when he designed the poster. He details his process in the interview I posted. It seems he was going for a Vader motif with Kylo with him dominating the poster size wise. Plus he said he does most things because they look pretty. I'm not trying to quash speculation, I'm just questioning the weight of any observations in relation to Reylo and redemption because that's obviously not what the artist intended in this case.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 22 Sep - 16:15

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@WhatGirl

The thing is Drew Struzan (the artist) had only seen part of the movie and read the script when he designed the poster. He details his process in the interview I posted. It seems he was going for a Vader motif with Kylo with him dominating the poster size wise. Plus he said he does most things because they look pretty. I'm not trying to quash speculation, I'm just questioning the weight of any observations in relation to Reylo and redemption because that's obviously not what the artist intended in this case.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Bummer
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Thu 22 Sep - 16:20

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@WhatGirl

@Mrs Ben Solo
A lot of people overestimated just how much production members involved in the more "artistic" areas of the film knew about the sequels, which is obviously not that much. And that makes sense. The less people know, the smaller the chances something will leak. But at the same time certain things can't be discussed in interviews right now, so if asked why wouldn't the artist just say what he knows he can? Even on the off-chance he did know a few details, it's not like he would share anything spoiler-related lol.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatGirl on Thu 22 Sep - 16:32

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@WhatGirl

@Mrs Ben Solo

Well, art can be pretty and still have meaning. It wasn't Reylo or Ren's redemption I had in mind when I posted my observation. Kylo and Rey clearly have the main conflict in the film - that's the story. They're the heroine and villain, and lens flares are defined as symbolizing conflict or drama, so the placement of a large one between Kylo and Rey seems to have more meaning than looks. I'm not saying there has to be anything to it deeper than that, though.
WhatGirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 22 Sep - 16:37

@FrolickingFizzgig I appreciate that artists or anyone else with a respected reputation in the industry would not go blabbing out any Star Wars secrets they were privy to. If people want to read significance into the posters or anything else, I'm not trying to stop that. I just think Drew Struzan was open about how he came to design The Force Awakens poster in this interview http://www.slashfilm.com/drew-struzan-force-awakens-opinions/ Maybe the Reylo element spoke to him unconsciously, he did say he designed it after a dream, who knows? He did admit to designing the Return of the Jedi poster with inaccuracies (lightsaber colours) just because he likes the contrast of the colours he used to the ones in the actual movie. As with everything like this, it's probably safer not to give it too much weight as evidence in favour of Reylo or anything else.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 22 Sep - 16:39

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:

@WhatGirl

@Mrs Ben Solo
A lot of people overestimated just how much production members involved in the more "artistic" areas of the film knew about the sequels, which is obviously not that much. And that makes sense. The less people know, the smaller the chances something will leak. But at the same time certain things can't be discussed in interviews right now, so if asked why wouldn't the artist just say what he knows he can? Even on the off-chance he did know a few details, it's not like he would share anything spoiler-related lol.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Hmm... sorry if I'm missing something, but Drew Struzan didn't design the poster for TFA, did he? At least not officially? Struzan designed this one:

But the "art director" for the theatrical poster was called Bryan Morton.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Thu 22 Sep - 16:41

Maybe this comes down to people's differing definitions of 'reylo'? To me it's a relationship between the heroine and villain that's more complex than good vs. evil. That's what the poster shows, some kind of alignment, maybe even conflict on each of their parts because they can appear to be allies or adversaries.

The artist won't know the direction of the story, but if he knows anything about Star Wars, he knows that the hero and villain dynamic is critical. And he was at least told that the central conflict would not be between Finn and Kylo, but Rey and Kylo. That wasn't something that most people were aware of before going into the cinema, and struggled to acknowledge even after watching.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Thu 22 Sep - 16:43

@Darth Dingbat
You're quite right. I just looked it up myself. This is the MSW article about the artist/poster: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/20321/
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 22 Sep - 16:48

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@Darth Dingbat
You're quite right. I just looked it up myself. This is the MSW article about the artist/poster: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/20321/
@FrolickingFizzgig

The artist's blog here: http://www.bryanmortonart.com/

I don't know if there was a team working on it and whether they incorporated some elements thought up by Struzan or something (though I don't think that's been officially suggested anywhere), but the end result composition-wise does, at least, appear to be Morton's handiwork.

No doubt it was inspired by Struzan, though - lens flares and all.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 22 Sep - 16:48

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@Darth Dingbat
@FrolickingFizzgig

I was taking Pablo's word for it (just shows he's not 100% correct all the time) but it appears it was done by someone else who imitated Struzan's designs http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erik-sharkey/why-artist-drew-struzan-i_b_8735840.html In which case, I would personally be even more dubious about attaching any meaning to it, but that's just me!
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum