Lightsaber crystals: new canon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lightsaber crystals: new canon

Post by Maria Antonietta on Fri 28 Oct - 13:49

Ok, so how do they work now? Because it's relevant to Rey and her being called by the Skywalkers saber even if she's not one. There's no need to be related to catch it, so why Kylo wasn't able to pull it from the snow?
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: Lightsaber crystals: new canon

Post by EchoBase on Fri 28 Oct - 13:53

Maria Antonietta wrote:Ok, so how do they work now? Because it's relevant to Rey and her being called by the Skywalkers saber even if she's not one. There's no need to be related to catch it, so why Kylo wasn't able to pull it from the snow?
@Maria Antonietta

I think, he was just weakened from the fight, from the bowcaster shot etc. This doesn't mean that the light saber didnt call for Rey. Maybe it did.
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 14 Apr - 11:58

I think it's about worthiness, which has nothing to do with blood ties. Pulling the saber from the snow is an allusion to pulling the sword from the stone in Arthurian legend, as is the island surrounded by a body of water (Isle of Avalon). It's not a direct copy, so not every character lines up exactly with someone, but elements are alluded to. Ben Solo may have been worthy of the family saber, but Kylo Ren is not. When Arthur died the sword was taken back to the Lady of the Lake (sacred feminine) on Avalon to be guarded until his return. I think by having Rey pull the saber instead of Kylo and then take it to the island the writers mean for us to understand the saber is being saved for Ben Solo's return.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 14 Apr - 12:03

Something to note as well: Arthur's quest is to bring back the Holy Grail. He fails, but what's important is what the Grail symbolizes. It's the cup of Christ, which is important because cups are feminine symbols and the message of the original Christians was love and compassion, traits we would consider feminine. The knights' quest is to balance his masculinity with femininity and share that compassion with all. Pretty apropos for a character like Ren, I think.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 14 Apr - 12:21

Also worth noting that the sword in the stone being Arthur's father's sword is a modern invention. In the Mediaeval legends, it's "just" a magical sword. Of course, Arthur is a king's son because kingship was about lineage, but it wasn't only about lineage, it was also about being chosen by God - and the sword was the sword of divine appointment. Like many other mythical swords, given to the right person to do whatever they're destined to do.

I think they're simply using this familiar imagery to show that Rey is the "true king"/"true hero", and in this context, the lightsaber isn't "The Skywalker Saber of Skywalker Lineage"(tm), but the magical sword of divine appointment. Chosen by the Force. Simple as that, IMO.

I also think there might be a prophecy associated with that lightsaber, hence Kylo's "it is you" reaction the moment she pulled it. As in, "A person who wields this particular sword shall..." And Pablo wouldn't be lying to say that Kylo recognised Rey as the "awakening" if that awakening is something to do with the same prophecy.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 14 Apr - 12:42

@Darth Dingbat Nice catch! I do think Ren saw Rey with the saber in a vision, hence his reaction.

I tend to think of Rey as being like the Lady because she's the most powerful character in the story, surpassing even Merlin, her teacher/lover before encasing him in a tree.
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 14 Apr - 15:37

Yes, it's interesting that the female/male characters have been reversed here- it isn't Rey who's the 'damsel in distress' it's Kylo.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Fri 14 Apr - 16:49

In my personal interpretation in which I personify kyber crystals too much, the crystal is trying to get back to Luke and it doesn't like Kylo who has been after it for years. Kylo wants it because of Darth Vader, but the crystal doesn't "recognize" Vader as it belonged to Anakin. After Anakin turned, those would have been dreadful times for the crystal. The next reunion with Vader when he chopped Luke's hand off, separating the saber from Luke, was "painful" too. The crystal has no desire to return to any of these horrors (kyber crystals are inherently on the light side of the Force).

I like to imagine the lightsaber "running away" from Kylo and that it wasn't simply that Maz found/stole it but the lightsaber was "screaming for help" when it was briefly in Kylo's possession (and Maz heard it). If Kylo were to get his hands on it he would dominate the crystal and probably crack it, causing it to "bleed" (it wouldn't like that). I also like to imagine that although Kylo was weakened/in pain in the end of the film, the crystal itself was trying to resist his pull. Rey is on the light path and her path connects to Luke, and that is where the crystal is trying to go (not only because of its connection to Luke, but because of its instinctive need to fulfill destinies of the light side of the Force). So it resisted Kylo's pull and cooperated with Rey's.

I'll be able to expand on this after TLJ as I can currently only speculate but I felt like the lightsaber connected with Rey over the theme "come back!" It's after Finn leaves Rey (like her family left her) that there is that pain of being abandoned--the pain of separation. The lightsaber was also separated from people (Anakin, Luke) and it also wants someone to come back. Interestingly, Kylo/Ben is also connected to this in that he felt like he was abandoned and he is the lost soul who could return.

As for King Arthur references, I like to view that only with regard to Kylo. He thinks that the lightsaber rejecting him means he's not worthy of Darth Vader (not strong enough). He's wrong, but I think that he is so lost in his neurosis of feeling inadequate that he can't perceive it otherwise. It's because he wants to be like Darth Vader (dark/powerful/evil) that the lightsaber rejects him (ironically), not because he is inherently "unworthy" as he fears he is.

Darth Dingbat wrote:I also think there might be a prophecy associated with that lightsaber, hence Kylo's "it is you" reaction the moment she pulled it. As in, "A person who wields this particular sword shall..." And Pablo wouldn't be lying to say that Kylo recognised Rey as the "awakening" if that awakening is something to do with the same prophecy.
@Darth Dingbat I agree with this. It wasn't until Rey has the lightsaber that Kylo can confirm whatever it is he suspected she might be. So either there is a prophesy or he has seen this in a vision, or both. And it may well be the Awakening alone because I think it has more meaning than simply being someone beginning to use their Force abilities.

Prophesies and visions are easily connected together anyway. And Maz has the lightsaber because she knows what it connects to (my personifications aside).
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Fri 14 Apr - 23:11

Ah yes, crystals! That was the original question. Smile

Hey yo, @panki, you're our resident "other canon materials" expert. What's up with the kyber crystals?
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 15 Apr - 3:42

Anybody else ever read the ADF follow up to the first movie, Splinter in the Mind's Eye? I vaguely remember it having to do with the hunt for crystals. It's pretty cringe-worthy because nobody is related in that version of the characters, so you get Luke & Leia flirting with each other while being pursued by their not-bio dad Vader. But maybe some of those elements are being revisted for the Force plot.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum