Star Wars Connection Podcasts

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Star Wars Connection Podcasts

Post by lauvamp on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 5:38

@Star Wars Connection

Loved the new video & the analysis! Watching for the second time.

I'm glad many of us notice these similarities, we are not crazy after all!!! cheers
lauvamp
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

https://lauvamp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 5:43

Oh, I loved it! H-beating   Can't wait for part 2 already! I was so mesmerize that I didn't realized it was 1 hour long! Sapristi

P.S: I will definitely checking out North and South now! Thank you so much for doing this amazing podcast.

Over 6 thousand subscribers... I'm curious how many will join till IX is released Thumbs up
Night Huntress
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 7:29

I cannot wait to watch this one! This is bound to be amazing!
Edit: I watched it! Great work, ladies! As a confession: I have a terrible time with Gothic romance/literature, so it's great to be educated on this! Thank you!

Last edited by PalmettoBlue on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 16:20; edited 1 time in total
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 8:24

If you have time write a summary for the desperate like me who do not speak English very well.
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 9:29

@Star Wars Connection wrote:

Today's discussion is about classic British literature references found in the Rey and Kylo Ren dynamic in the Star Wars sequel trilogy. This episode centers on analysis of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

In our Jane Eyre discussion we overview similarities between Jane Eyre and Rey, including their lonely, deprived upbringing, first friendships and longing for a profoundly spiritual and passionate connection. We discuss character similarities between Edward Rochester and Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, and look at Kylo Ren as a Byronic hero. Lastly, we find parallels in the Jane/Rochester romance and the story of Rey and Kylo so far.

In our discussion of North and South we overview the Margaret/Thornton romance, including their enemies-to-lovers dynamic, first proposal, separation and eventual reconciliation - and how it all relates to the story of Rey and Kylo Ren.

Stay tuned for part 2 of our discussion, which centers on Pride and Prejudice and other literary works.
@Star Wars Connection

This is so great! I especially like the part explaining that something was missing in Jane's life after she left Rochester despite surface similarity with the family that took her in. Pretty much how I expect Rey's Resistance stay to turn out. Something is missing and that's Ben.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 10:00

Just saw it and loved it!
Great video (as always), I found the analysis of literary similarities really interesting and since I'm rereading Jane Eyre right now I'll pay even more attention.
Can't wait for part 2! cheers
cherrylipstick
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 12:04

Awesome stuff! I lovee Jane Eyre, the similarities are uncanny, the proposal rejections are spot on. I also love North and South the bbc miniseries.
One part of the video mentioned how Kylo says "you have that look in your eyes from the forest, when you called me a monster" I was squealing inside because I was like omg...he's talking her eyes when they first met??!! Although I then realized I think he was talking about the snow forest? But that line first did make me think of Takodana. I still think it's the most romantic line out of the movie <3
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 23:50

@Star Wars Connection
Well you've gone and done it again! A brilliant podcast Irina, Lee and Shandra!
[Amazing first podcast Shandra!]

well, as you may have guessed from my sig. I am loving all the Jane Eyre comparisons!!!! Smile
I especially enjoyed your commentary on how Jane and Rey both had agency..

I hadn't really thought of North and South, I'm going to give this another viewing asap for research purposes. (okay okay I might enjoy watching that Richard Armitage while I'm at it Wink )

Like everyone else - I am super excited to hear the P&P discussion is getting a podcast all of its own. [I concur with this decision haaa]
More! More!

Are you guys making a deliberate choice to not discuss fan ideas or is this maybe something you are considering doing later? After all we have a 2 year wait! lol. The strong but unexplained reaction against the idea of Kylo not lose his force powers as a redeeming sacrifice - got me curious.
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Mon 5 Feb 2018 - 23:57

@DeeBee what does that mean about Kylo losing his force powers as a way to redeem himself? was this a discussion somewhere?!

I think it's actually a pretty viable idea... he'll be full circle. Same as his father. No force powers, with a force-sensitive wife Wink
Dar-ren19
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 0:20

@Dar-ren19 wrote:@DeeBee what does that mean about Kylo losing his force powers as a way to redeem himself? was this a discussion somewhere?!

I think it's actually a pretty viable idea... he'll be full circle. Same as his father. No force powers, with a force-sensitive wife Wink
@Dar-ren19

It was very briefly mentioned in the latest SWC podcast - Lee shared her opinion - (really doesn't like it) but it went no further than that. Likely because to expand would have sent the discussion off topic..Which is fair enough.  sunny

There was some discussion about it here at one point I think in this thread: http://reylo.skyforum.net/t720p25-reylo-s-possible-offspring-for-the-ever-expanding-franchise but it was not indepth.

Maybe you can get this conversation started again in a place where we can find it again. lol you know how it is.   Shy I'd love to discuss topic further in another thread Very Happy
maybe this thread? http://reylo.skyforum.net/t415-can-kylo-be-redeemed?highlight=Redemption
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 0:34

@DeeBee ok lemme read that thread! Very Happy
Dar-ren19
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 4:09

@vaderito wrote:
@Star Wars Connection wrote:

Today's discussion is about classic British literature references found in the Rey and Kylo Ren dynamic in the Star Wars sequel trilogy. This episode centers on analysis of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

In our Jane Eyre discussion we overview similarities between Jane Eyre and Rey, including their lonely, deprived upbringing, first friendships and longing for a profoundly spiritual and passionate connection. We discuss character similarities between Edward Rochester and Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, and look at Kylo Ren as a Byronic hero. Lastly, we find parallels in the Jane/Rochester romance and the story of Rey and Kylo so far.

In our discussion of North and South we overview the Margaret/Thornton romance, including their enemies-to-lovers dynamic, first proposal, separation and eventual reconciliation - and how it all relates to the story of Rey and Kylo Ren.

Stay tuned for part 2 of our discussion, which centers on Pride and Prejudice and other literary works.
@Star Wars Connection

This is so great! I especially like the part explaining that something was missing in Jane's life after she left Rochester despite surface similarity with the family that took her in. Pretty much how I expect Rey's Resistance stay to turn out. Something is missing and that's Ben.
@vaderito

Thank you ! It read it !!!!! Really Fantastic !!!!!!!!!
ANTIS wonder why Reylo is so successful. You think we have to go back to 1800 to see such beautiful love stories.
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 5:53

@giaciak2 It blows my mind that they did those classic romances in SW. P&P in space, Jane Eyre in space, Byronic hero in space. Amazing! cheers
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 6:01

First time for me to listen into one of your podcasts, I really enjoyed it. Thank you! It's been a while since I've watched and read Jane Eyre. I really loved all the comparisons. North and South is a particular favourite of mine, I've read the book as well. I liked how you highlighted about Thornton and Margaret meeting halfway, for me this is what Kylo and Rey will have to do. Look how well they worked side by side when fighting in the throne room.
As you pointed out, Thornton comes across as quite a brute when he beats up the worker, he really does come across as a monster. I remember comparing Kylo with Thornton when Rey calls him a monster. There is a particular scene when Margaret goes rushing to his side and flings her arms around him to protect him from an angry mob, (thus showing her true feelings for him) but subsequently gets hurt in the process while protecting him. I'd love to see a similar situation like that in IX between Kylo and Rey.
If anyone has not seen North and South, I really do recommend it.
Let The Past Die
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 6:12

Also Pride and Prejudice has many similarities for me. Kylo Ren (also called Ben Solo). He feels very noble. He is haughty. He is proud. He feels superior to everyone. He falls in love with Rey because he feels she is holding his head. Even as he looks at her, it reminds me of P & P. The first failed marriage declaration reminds me a lot of Darcy ...
I look forward to the second ...
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 6:28

@Let The Past Die wrote:First time for me to listen into one of your podcasts, I really enjoyed it. Thank you! It's been a while since I've watched and read Jane Eyre. I really loved all the comparisons. North and South is a particular favourite of mine, I've read the book as well. I liked how you highlighted about Thornton and Margaret  meeting halfway, for me this is what Kylo and  Rey will have to do. Look how well they worked side by side when fighting in the throne room.
As you pointed out, Thornton comes across as quite a brute when he beats up the worker, he really does come across as a monster. I remember comparing Kylo with Thornton when Rey calls him a monster. There is a particular scene when Margaret goes rushing to his side and flings her arms around him to protect him from an angry mob, (thus showing her true feelings for him)  but subsequently gets hurt in the process while protecting him.  I'd love to see a similar situation like that in IX between Kylo and Rey.
@Let The Past Die

Maybe that already some what happened in the Throne room...Rey rushing to Kylo to save him/protect him, thus showing her feelings for him by simply being there, gets hurt by a guard, protects him again by throwing the saber across the room, et cetera.
Starliteprism
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 7:10

@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die wrote:First time for me to listen into one of your podcasts, I really enjoyed it. Thank you! It's been a while since I've watched and read Jane Eyre. I really loved all the comparisons. North and South is a particular favourite of mine, I've read the book as well. I liked how you highlighted about Thornton and Margaret  meeting halfway, for me this is what Kylo and  Rey will have to do. Look how well they worked side by side when fighting in the throne room.
As you pointed out, Thornton comes across as quite a brute when he beats up the worker, he really does come across as a monster. I remember comparing Kylo with Thornton when Rey calls him a monster. There is a particular scene when Margaret goes rushing to his side and flings her arms around him to protect him from an angry mob, (thus showing her true feelings for him)  but subsequently gets hurt in the process while protecting him.  I'd love to see a similar situation like that in IX between Kylo and Rey.
@Let The Past Die

Maybe that already some what happened in the Throne room...Rey rushing to Kylo to save him/protect him, thus showing her feelings for him by simply being there, gets hurt by a guard, protects him again by throwing the saber across the room, et cetera.
@Starliteprism

Haha, I suppose it did lol!
Let The Past Die
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 8:43

@Dar-ren19 wrote:@DeeBee what does that mean about Kylo losing his force powers as a way to redeem himself? was this a discussion somewhere?!

@Dar-ren19

There's been discussion on that in this thread:
http://reylo.skyforum.net/t720-reylo-s-possible-offspring-for-the-ever-expanding-franchise

You Pierce My Soul. I am Half Agony, Half Hope.-Jane Austen

Avatar: Garden of Eden by ChieuMua
SheLitAFire

Back to top Go down

Post by JustMe on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 12:19

@lauvamp wrote:@Star Wars Connection

Loved the new video & the analysis! Watching for the second time.

I'm glad many of us notice these similarities, we are not crazy after all!!! cheers
@lauvamp

I listened yesterday while my husband was working from home.  So, he listened, too!  We both laughed at the comment that Kylo has his own lady in the attic, meaning he has some baggage, for sure.    Now I've convinced my husband to watch my Jane Eyre DVD  with me, a 1973 BBC version that is really, really good.

JustMe
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by 12 Parsnips on Tue 6 Feb 2018 - 12:35

I passed on the link to this episode to a few SW friends--we had just talked about TLJ in the context of these two books/miniseries! Maybe Part 2 will be P&P and BatB?--which these same (female) friends and I had talked about in the same conversation! So much fun. lol!
12 Parsnips
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 7 Feb 2018 - 13:51

Thanks everyone, for the lovely feedback. <3

@DeeBee wrote:
Are you guys making a deliberate choice to not discuss fan ideas or is this maybe something you are considering doing later? After all we have a 2 year wait! lol. The strong but unexplained reaction against the idea of Kylo not lose his force powers as a redeeming sacrifice - got me curious.
[...]
It was very briefly mentioned in the latest SWC podcast - Lee shared her opinion - (really doesn't like it) but it went no further than that. Likely because to expand would have sent the discussion off topic..Which is fair enough.  sunny

Hey, @DeeBee - thanks for your comment. We actually are not usually shy about digging into fan theories, but in this case we had a lot of Jane Eyre and North and South Reylo parallels to get through, so we didn't want to derail the conversation about literary references by getting too into that subject of Kylo Ren's atonement and what it might look like - we have a lot more Kylo discussion coming soon, and there is loads to say on that subject of his losing his Force powers. If there is an interest in it we could do a podcast on that particular topic going forward.

@giaciak2 wrote:If you have time write a summary for the desperate like me who do not speak English very well.

@giaciak2, we have a lot of non-native English speakers tuning in, so we tried adding captions to our videos; unfortunately it takes about 4 hours to caption a 30 minute video. :/
We usually do a little summary of the main talking points on our Tumblr, you can check it out here:
http://starwarsconnection.tumblr.com/post/170560937659/literary-references-in-reylo-jane-eyre
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlbPGNQ9_GMfOMxAhUm9Hg

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 16:27

@Star Wars Connection wrote:Thanks everyone, for the lovely feedback. <3

@DeeBee wrote:
[...]

Hey, @DeeBee - thanks for your comment. We actually are not usually shy about digging into fan theories, but in this case we had a lot of Jane Eyre and North and South Reylo parallels to get through, so we didn't want to derail the conversation about literary references by getting too into that subject of Kylo Ren's atonement and what it might look like - we have a lot more Kylo discussion coming soon, and there is loads to say on that subject of his losing his Force powers. If there is an interest in it we could do a podcast on that particular topic going forward.
@Star Wars Connection

Great to hear from you! thanks for your reply.
Glad to hear SWC will share ideas and discuss theories in future - and wise to stick to the topic.. especially when it is so utterly fabulous Smile
I'm in suspense now waiting for your P&P episode to publish!!!
Very Happy
DeeBee
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:18

@Star Wars Connection wrote:Thanks everyone, for the lovely feedback. <3

@DeeBee wrote:
[...]

@giaciak2 wrote:If you have time write a summary for the desperate like me who do not speak English very well.

@giaciak2, we have a lot of non-native English speakers tuning in, so we tried adding captions to our videos; unfortunately it takes about 4 hours to caption a 30 minute video. :/
We usually do a little summary of the main talking points on our Tumblr, you can check it out here:
http://starwarsconnection.tumblr.com/post/170560937659/literary-references-in-reylo-jane-eyre
@Star Wars Connection

Thank you very much !!!!! H-beating H-beating H-beating
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 14 Feb 2018 - 8:01

Pride and Prejudice and Reylo
In today’s episode we talk about the parallels between the Rey and Kylo Ren dynamics in the Star Wars sequel trilogy and seminal works of classic British literature. We begin with a focus on Pride and Prejudice, overviewing the similarities between the character design of Kylo Ren and the much beloved Mr.Darcy. We discuss the Rey and Kylo Ren enemies to lovers ROMANTIC DRAMA  promised by Rian Johnson, and how it compares to Lizzie and Darcy’s situation, right down to The Proposal of Doom.

In our overview of other key literary references, we briefly discuss Wuthering Heights and its parallels to Reylo - but not in the way you expect. We also talk the Anne of Green Gables and West Side Story Reylo connection.

We overview how themes of the heroine’s journey, female sexual awakening and exploration vs repression, virtue vs debauchery are portrayed in works like Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, North and South, Pride and Prejudice - and in Rey’s character arc in the ST.

We discuss the revolutionary portrayal of female agency in works like Jane Eyre, and why agency is an essential character trait in Rey. We believe that Rey and Ben’s separation at the end of TLJ is a painful but necessary development to establish Rey’s independence. It is also a necessary catalyst for Kylo Ren’s further character development and their eventual romance.

Lastly, we contrast the approach to romance in Jane Austen’s work, including novels like Fanny Price and Persuasion, with Charlotte Brontë’s approach in Jane Eyre, and how it ties in with the Reylo dynamic.  

This is part 2 of our Literary References in Reylo podcast series. Part 1 of our discussion centers on Jane Eyre and North and South. You can find it here.

Other podcasts referenced:
SWC | Reylo 101: Why Reylo Belongs in Star Wars
SWC | Rey and Kylo Ren: Sex and Force Bonds
SWC | Visual Storytelling in The Force Awakens

Happy Valentine's Day! ^^
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlbPGNQ9_GMfOMxAhUm9Hg

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 14 Feb 2018 - 8:39