Star Wars Connection Podcasts

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Wars Connection Podcasts

Post by Helix on Wed 14 Jun - 10:25

Masculinity ( in the subversion of traditional masculinity ) in Kylo is one of my favorite aspects. Vader being a masculine icon irl is kinda funny considering his consequences, but I get why. He's that for fans and Kylo and they can't look past the whole 'cool dark side dude' instead of a sad man who really had nothing else until Luke came along. Kylo being a bad villain because he got beat by a GUUUURL is my favorite bad criticism. Not even the 'untrained' part, just being beaten by a girl as this hideous mark against him. Kylo is very strong in his own way. I still don't get people not being able to see him not being Vader 2.0 is the point and maybe his view or Vader is flawed and colored. I guess their want of a Vader 2.0 is coloring their view, too.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 14 Jun - 12:33

@Helix wrote:Masculinity ( in the subversion of traditional masculinity ) in Kylo is one of my favorite aspects. Vader being a masculine icon irl is kinda funny considering his consequences, but I get why. He's that for fans and Kylo and they can't look past the whole 'cool dark side dude' instead of a sad man who really had nothing else until Luke came along. Kylo being a bad villain because he got beat by a GUUUURL is my favorite bad criticism. Not even the 'untrained' part, just being beaten by a girl as this hideous mark against him. Kylo is very strong in his own way. I still don't get people not being able to see him not being Vader 2.0 is the point and maybe his view or Vader is flawed and colored. I guess their want of a Vader 2.0 is coloring their view, too.
@Helix

After TFA first came out, a lot of my Facebook friends summed up their feelings as, "I liked the bad guy until he took his helmet off." LOL, that's when my Kylo obsession began.  I love you

It's really difficult to explain why he's such a great character to others who can't wait to see Rey kill the sissy villain. Neutral
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Mon 10 Jul - 0:26

Kylo Ren and Prince Zuko: A Comparison Between ATLA and the SW Sequel Trilogy

In this episode we discuss key similarities between Avatar The Last Airbender and the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. We compare character arcs in ATLA to characters in the Sequel Trilogy, looking closely at Zuko's redemption arc, and some similarities and differences to Kylo's arc in The Force Awakens, as well as signs that point to Kylo's redemption.

We draw some comparisons between Rey and Aang, and their positions as protagonists. We also compare and contrast Rey and Katara, and Finn and Aang and Finn and Sokka. Finally, we comment on female characters such as Azula, Ty Lee and May, and what we can expect from Rose, Rey, Phasma, Leia and Veronica Ngo's character.

This episode was made because many people had been asking about it. It has spoilers for Avatar the Last Airbender. If you haven't seen it, it's not too late to binge watch it, especially if the Star Wars fandom is making you stressed. Lol.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlbPGNQ9_GMfOMxAhUm9Hg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Mon 10 Jul - 2:59

@Star Wars Connection wrote:
Kylo Ren and Prince Zuko: A Comparison Between ATLA and the SW Sequel Trilogy

In this episode we discuss key similarities between Avatar The Last Airbender and the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. We compare character arcs in ATLA to characters in the Sequel Trilogy, looking closely at Zuko's redemption arc, and some similarities and differences to Kylo's arc in The Force Awakens, as well as signs that point to Kylo's redemption.

We draw some comparisons between Rey and Aang, and their positions as protagonists. We also compare and contrast Rey and Katara, and Finn and Aang and Finn and Sokka. Finally, we comment on female characters such as Azula, Ty Lee and May, and what we can expect from Rose, Rey, Phasma, Leia and Veronica Ngo's character.

This episode was made because many people had been asking about it. It has spoilers for Avatar the Last Airbender. If you haven't seen it, it's not too late to binge watch it, especially if the Star Wars fandom is making you stressed. Lol.
@Star Wars Connection

Thank you-- I've made this comparison on this forum more than once (including the fact that unlike the TV show, they don't have three long seasons to get their viewers to warm to the villain-turned-antihero.) I'm looking forward to listening.  Smile
Lily Snape
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Mon 10 Jul - 7:53

@Lily Snape wrote:
Thank you-- I've made this comparison on this forum more than once (including the fact that unlike the TV show, they don't have three long seasons to get their viewers to warm to the villain-turned-antihero.) I'm looking forward to listening.  Smile
@Lily Snape

The video actually addresses the issue of time by bringing up the movie that shall not be named.

Personally, I'm going to confess I watched the movie before the show and I warmed up for movie Zuko and got a sense that he would have a redemption arc. And I hadn't seen the show and I didn't know anything about it. Of course, later, when I watched the show I understood why people hated the movie so much. Laughing
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Sat 15 Jul - 0:33

In this episode we look at Zutara, the relationship between Katara and Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Although they never became romantically involved, it is a successful example of former enemies developing friendship and mutual affection, and it has a very interesting heroine/villain dynamic. We analyze what we can learn from this pairing and the similarities and differences to Rey and Kylo's relationship, or Reylo. We explore the concept of a "crack ship" and the idea of freedom of interpretation, and how the vision of some writers in ATLA was different from the creators'.

We also look at the concept of attachment in Eastern philosophy and how it is explored in Avatar: The Last Airbender and the prequel trilogy, more precisely with Katara and Aang's relationship and Anakin and Padme's.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Sat 15 Jul - 0:34

@Lily Snape wrote:
@Star Wars Connection

@Lily Snape

You're welcome! Hopefully you'll enjoy the new installment.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Tue 25 Jul - 9:44

In today's episode we break down the D23 behind the scenes footage of The Last Jedi. We analyze key shots in the reel and speculate as to the major themes and events likely to be found in the upcoming ST installment.

We discuss the reel's portrayal of the main characters in this installment, including Rey, Kylo, Finn, Luke, and Leia. We analyze the symbolism of water and awakenings, costuming changes and other visual language found in the reel. We talk about Rian Johnson's take on the Sequel Trilogy, and identify potential nods to the Prequel Trilogy. Lee also makes a dastardly revelation: she doesn't like porgs. WTF?

This episode contains potential spoilers; proceed at your own risk!
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Tue 25 Jul - 11:03

In today's episode we break down the D23 behind the scenes footage of The Last Jedi. We analyze key shots in the reel and speculate as to the major themes and events likely to be found in the upcoming ST installment.

We discuss the reel's portrayal of the main characters in this installment, including Rey, Kylo, Finn, Luke, and Leia. We analyze the symbolism of water and awakenings, costuming changes and other visual language found in the reel. We talk about Rian Johnson's take on the Sequel Trilogy, and identify potential nods to the Prequel Trilogy. Lee also makes a dastardly revelation: she doesn't like porgs. WTF?

This episode contains potential spoilers; proceed at your own risk!
@Star Wars Connection

Awesome! Can´t wait to listen to it. I love your podcasts and analysis! Always on point. Smile
tukicarreno
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 25 Jul - 12:15

Yay! I was so excited to see that you had a new podcast out!! I will try and listen later today.

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Wed 26 Jul - 12:36

I really enjoyed your latest podcast.
I was laughing at your comments about the prequels. I was one of the fans that despised them. The way the story of Anakin and Padme was told made me cringe and I loved romance stories. Since then, I have had two kids who love the prequels, so I ended up watching them again. I have to say, that the stories are good....I just wish George was relegated to coming up with the story outlines and special effects instead of writing the script/directing the movie.
Anyway, I read an article several months ago about Padme. The man being interviewed by the journalist worked on ROTS. He said originally that Padme was supposed to go too Mustafar to kill Anakin. That she could see he was turning into a monster but when she got there she could not do it. He also said that in the original story that Padme was tougher and that George took her character in a different direction. This guy wished that they stuck with the original concept of Padme.

Birdwoman
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 2 Aug - 9:25

@Birdwoman wrote:I really enjoyed your latest podcast.
I was laughing at your comments about the prequels. I was one of the fans that despised them. The way the story of Anakin and Padme was told made me cringe and I loved romance stories. Since then, I have had two kids who love the prequels, so I ended up watching them again. I have to say, that the stories are good....I just wish George was relegated to coming up with the story outlines and special effects instead of writing the script/directing the movie.
Anyway, I read an article several months ago about Padme. The man being interviewed by the journalist worked on ROTS. He said originally that Padme was supposed to go too Mustafar to kill Anakin. That she could see he was turning into a monster but when she got there she could not do it. He also said that in the original story that Padme was tougher and that George took her character in a different direction. This guy wished that they stuck with the original concept of Padme.
@Birdwoman

Oh man I didn't know that about Padme! That makes perfect sense and is in line with what Queen Amidala/Senator Anidala would have done. It's too bad they went for the "lost the will to live" concept. *eye roll*

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, @tukicarreno, @Birdwoman.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 2 Aug - 9:27

The Last Jedi: D23 Posters and Cast Commentary Discussion

In today's episode we look at the new batch of TLJ posters unveiled at the recent D23 Expo. We analyze visual cues found in the portrayals of the characters as individual players and in relation to each other.

We also discuss cast commentary from the D23 TLJ panel and the behind-the-scenes reel. We speculate on future directions of the Sequel Trilogy and share our list of predictions for The Last Jedi based on the D23 event, BTS reel and posters.

Lastly, we speculate as to potential twists and share our thoughts in regards to the marketing of TLJ to date.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 13 Sep - 10:38

The Last Jedi: EW Special Edition Discussion and Brief Thoughts About JJ's Storytelling

Aaaand we're back. Today's episode was recorded immediately following the release of the Entertainment Weekly Star Wars special edition. In a twist of fate, we presciently discussed some of J.J Abrams' weaknesses as a storyteller and how this may have impacted TFA. While we are incredibly relieved that Trevorrow will not be directing episode IX and see JJ's return as an overall positive thing, we feel that his predilection for "mystery boxes" and loose endings must be addressed for the Sequel Trilogy to be resolved in a satisfying way. Stay tuned for more discussion on this topic going forward.

In this episode we focus on discussion of possible character arcs and dynamics between key characters including Rey and Luke, Finn and Rose, and Kylo Ren and Rey. We discuss new information regarding Rian Johnson's creative process.  Lastly,  when it comes to the porgs - haters be hatin'. u_u
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 13 Sep - 10:47

Aaaand we're back. Today's episode was recorded immediately following the release of the Entertainment Weekly Star Wars special edition. In a twist of fate, we presciently discussed some of J.J Abrams' weaknesses as a storyteller and how this may have impacted TFA. While we are incredibly relieved that Trevorrow will not be directing episode IX and see JJ's return as an overall positive thing, we feel that his predilection for "mystery boxes" and loose endings must be addressed for the Sequel Trilogy to be resolved in a satisfying way. Stay tuned for more discussion on this topic going forward.

In this episode we focus on discussion of possible character arcs and dynamics between key characters including Rey and Luke, Finn and Rose, and Kylo Ren and Rey. We discuss new information regarding Rian Johnson's creative process.  Lastly,  when it comes to the porgs - haters be hatin'. u_u
@Star Wars Connection

I have a bad feeling that JJ is to set up Fourth trilogy mysteries in IX. Jason says that he doesn't expect IX to have the "final shot" because they are now going to make those movies so some firm ending is likely off the table. And not only JJ is crazy about mysteries but LF must have decided in secret what they want from Fourth Trilogy (they were apparently meeting about it in Jan 2017). So, yeah, good call.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Wed 13 Sep - 11:09

People need to #leaveporgsalone.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Wed 13 Sep - 11:11

@vaderito wrote:

@Star Wars Connection

I have a bad feeling that JJ is to set up Fourth trilogy mysteries in IX. Jason says that he doesn't expect IX to have the "final shot" because they are now going to make those movies so some firm ending is likely off the table. And not only JJ is crazy about mysteries but LF must have decided in secret what they want from Fourth Trilogy (they were apparently meeting about it in Jan 2017). So, yeah, good call.

@vaderito

Yup, this is something new to worry about lol, but overall I am happy with the news about JJ. He is THE original Reylo shipper and I think that he will have learned a lot from the TFA backlash regarding loose ends and rehashing.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 13 Sep - 11:16

@vaderito wrote:

@vaderito We'll talk more about this in our next podcast episode. If you want to join in let us know!

Disclaimer re: lack of enthusiasm for the porgs contained in this episode - the salty opinions of Lee and Denise do not reflect the collective opinion of Star Wars Connection. Haters gonna hate. u_u

#porglife
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 13 Sep - 11:25

@vaderito We'll talk more about this in our next podcast episode. If you want to join in let us know!

Disclaimer re: lack of enthusiasm for the porgs contained in this episode - the salty opinions of Lee and Denise do not reflect the collective opinion of Star Wars Connection. Haters gonna hate. u_u

#porglife
@Star Wars Connection

Have full house of guests so I can't. But thanks for the invite! Very Happy

I've just finished Slash Film podcast and they actually said the same at the end of the podcast, that there are likely going to be some loose ends for next trilogy or movies to pick up but no cliff-hanger.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 13 Sep - 11:38

I'm so exited! Can't wait to get home and watch it! I love you guys! Jumping
Night Huntress
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star on Wed 13 Sep - 12:30

New episode, yes!
Man Without A Star
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Wed 13 Sep - 16:54

@Helix wrote:People need to #leaveporgsalone.
@Helix

Porgs will never walk alone! Laughing
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Sat 16 Sep - 18:13

Halo and Star Wars: Influence and Comparisons

Two for one this week! In this standalone episode we compare two giant sci-fi multimedia franchises: Halo and Star Wars. We tackle Halo's influence on Star Wars, and Halo's influence in some of the new media in Star Wars, especially in The Clone Wars, Rogue One and Battlefront 2. There are also some comparisons made in relation to the Sequel Trilogy. We also comment on grey characters and female characters in Halo and in Star Wars, such as Dr. Halsey, Cortana and Phasma.

We are excited to welcome Tarb, a fellow YouTuber (@Tarbtano) as our first ever guest speaker and collaborator!

Stay tuned for more coming up next week: our discussion on JJ's return to Star Wars, the "everything is coming up Reylo" news round up, thoughts on the Obi-Wan movie and more TLJ updates.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star on Sat 16 Sep - 18:15

Two for one this week! In this standalone episode we compare two giant sci-fi multimedia franchises: Halo and Star Wars. We tackle Halo's influence on Star Wars, and Halo's influence in some of the new media in Star Wars, especially in The Clone Wars, Rogue One and Battlefront 2. There are also some comparisons made in relation to the Sequel Trilogy. We also comment on grey characters and female characters in Halo and in Star Wars, such as Dr. Halsey, Cortana and Phasma.

We are excited to welcome Tarb, a fellow YouTuber (@Tarbtano) as our first ever guest speaker and collaborator!

Stay tuned for more coming up next week: our discussion on JJ's return to Star Wars, the "everything is coming up Reylo" news round up, thoughts on the Obi-Wan movie and more TLJ updates.
@Star Wars Connection

Damn! I did not expect this! As a Halo fan, it is exciting for me to see comparisons to Star Wars. Cant wait to listen to it tommorow!
Man Without A Star
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Sat 16 Sep - 18:19

@Man Without A Star wrote:

@Star Wars Connection

Damn! I did not expect this! As a Halo fan, it is exciting for me to see comparisons to Star Wars. Cant wait to listen to it tommorow!
@Man Without A Star

Awesome! Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Other than Denise, not many of us at SWC were familiar with Halo prior to watching this episode, and we found the subject accessible and pretty interesting.
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum