Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Post by KnightsofReyloRen on Thu 29 Dec - 12:15

@snufkin wrote:One of my friends reminded me of another one of Debbie's classics, when she and Albert Brooks are a mother and son doing battle over their relationship (dammit, just think of the SNL paraody they could've done with Leia and Ben)

@snufkin

Thx for posting this trailer. My BFF & I will be watching this film & When Harry Meet Sally tonight in honor of mother & daughter.  And your so right about the Kylo & Leia in this scenario. Makes me crave to see what it may have been like if Kylo was forced to move back in with Leia @ some view. Their interactions as mother & son, the First General of Resistance vs the Master of the Knights of Ren for sure would have been hilarious, touching & incredibly sad all @ once. Can’t believe we’ll never see that happen now? Gosh, I hope 2017 is a brighter one or all. We need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en87yTavdZw
KnightsofReyloRen
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 29 Dec - 13:10

@KnightsofReyloRen wrote:[
Thx for posting this trailer. My BFF & I will be watching this film & When Harry Meet Sally tonight in honor of mother & daughter.  And your so right about the Kylo & Leia in this scenario. Makes me crave to see what it may have been like if Kylo was forced to move back in with Leia @ some view. Their interactions as mother & son, the First General of Resistance vs the Master of the Knights of Ren for sure would have been hilarious, touching & incredibly sad all @ once. Can’t believe we’ll never see that happen now? Gosh, I hope 2017 is a brighter one or all. We need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en87yTavdZw
@KnightsofReyloRen

The last two directors Debbie worked with were Albert Brooks and Stephen Soderbergh. Which isn't a bad way to go, especially starting at the beginning of her career with Stanley Donan. I just re-watched Postcards from the Edge, which Carrie wrote and has a pretty similar mother-daughter duo who work in the movie industry

Yeah too bad nobody from SNL didn't think of having a parody of Mother instead of Undercover Boss. Especially because having Kylo on SNL itself was a nod to Carrie in the 70s turning up as Princess Leia in one of their sketches. It's pretty easy to imagine the slow burn of that character with Leia as his mom, trying to prove himself by going all Sith (and Leia being like "honey, black just isn't your color").

And here's another one, being interviewed on French TV w/HF for Star Wars. Look at everybody smoking!

"The princess is not a victim. She is very strong and it's good because there are not a lot of strong women in film right now. Especially in America."

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Thu 29 Dec - 16:01

@snufkin wrote:Man, the interview Oprah did with them 5 years ago, what a pair. You can see where Carrie got her irreverent sense of humor from. It almost fits with the larger than life history the two of them come from, that they'd go out together this way.

@snufkin

Thanks for sharing. I had never seen it. Wow. They speak so frankly and with humor about serious topics, I could have listened to them for hours. Carrie has a nice singing voice, I had no idea Shocked It's interesting to see issues being transmitted with different symptoms from mothers to daughters. I see it in my own relationship with my mother and her relationship with her mother. The passing down of negative emotions that then take the form of obsessions, illnesses, etc. The key is to break the vicious circle and talk it out and these 2 did and that's another lesson one can learn from team Carrie/Debbie, which I believe has benefited to them both but also to Billie.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Thu 29 Dec - 17:35

Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 29 Dec - 19:20

@SanghaRen wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Man, the interview Oprah did with them 5 years ago, what a pair. You can see where Carrie got her irreverent sense of humor from. It almost fits with the larger than life history the two of them come from, that they'd go out together this way.  

@snufkin

Thanks for sharing. I had never seen it. Wow. They speak so frankly and with humor about serious topics, I could have listened to them for hours. Carrie has a nice singing voice, I had no idea :shock: It's interesting to see issues being transmitted with different symptoms from mothers to daughters. I see it in my own relationship with my mother and her relationship with her mother. The passing down of negative emotions that then take the form of obsessions, illnesses, etc. The key is to break the vicious circle and talk it out and these 2 did and that's another lesson one can learn from team Carrie/Debbie, which I believe has benefited to them both but also to Billie.

@SanghaRen

Oprah's response the whole time goes back and forth between laughing and being horrified. Certainly with one actor in my family, I can recognize the stories that are both family oral history and putting on a show (and trying to laugh about something which would otherwise be traumatic).

It's interesting how Debbie Reynolds comes from the exact same background as Carol Burnett and Steve Martin. Working class families who migrated from Texas to Los Angeles during the height of Hollywood's Golden Age. They all had parents who aspired to work in the film industry and weren't successful, so that impacted relationships in the family. Burnett talks pretty openly about it (you suspect similar childhoods are part of why Julie Andrews are such good friends) and Steve Martin writes about it in Born Standing Up.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa on Thu 29 Dec - 20:52

Crying or Very sad  I had just recently gotten interested in Carrie Fisher and had looked forward to more of her insights.  Oh, to hear what her thoughts would be on Kylo Ren's character in the next film!  I actually left work early when I read the news- I was too sad to concentrate.

Watching old Debbie Reynolds musicals cheered me up a bit today, in spite of the shock of her passing.

I always thought the way that Padme died from a broken heart was a little disappointing, but, now, it seems a bit eerie.
LadyHa
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sat 31 Dec - 9:17

Last year in November I was in London and went to the wax museum. They had a SW exhibition. That was even before I saw TFA and turned into an active SW fan - I was always a fan, but a passive one. The best wax figure for me was definitively Leia. Carrie was a beautiful woman, but in a non-Barbie way and her features are beautifully captured in the wax. I actually like Leia in her metallic bikini. I always thought it was funny that she was dressed like a pin-up while Luke plays Super Jedi using his powers and all, but that in the end she's the real hero of the whole thing : she kills Jabba! It could have looked stupid, but Carrie brought such a determination to Leia that it's just a very satisfying moment. Go Leia, kill that disgusting blob!

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Sat 31 Dec - 9:37

Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Hasi on Sat 31 Dec - 12:52

To hear what happened to Carrie and Debbie fills me with sadness. May them rest in peace...my heart really goes out to Billie and the rest of their family.

Last edited by Hasi on Sat 31 Dec - 17:25; edited 1 time in total
Hasi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots on Sat 31 Dec - 13:47

RIP

So very very sad Sad

Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 31 Dec - 13:48

An "Only in New Orleans" moment, as the Star Wars-themed Krewe of Chewbacchus held a Princess Leia tribute parade

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Sat 31 Dec - 20:00

I thought it would be interesting if I posted this part of  a tribute to Carrie and Debbie where Todd Fisher  talks about his mother and sister's deaths: 
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/todd-fisher-relationship-debbie-reynolds-carrie-fisher-part-44479393

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 31 Dec - 23:09

I have written a short fanfic in tribute to Carrie as Leia Organa https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12301124/1/My-Hero or http://archiveofourown.org/works/9141808 It doesn't really do her justice but I felt the need to mark her passing in some small way.

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 1 Jan - 4:47

@CienaRee wrote:I thought it would be interesting if I posted this part of  a tribute to Carrie and Debbie where Todd Fisher  talks about his mother and sister's deaths: 
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/todd-fisher-relationship-debbie-reynolds-carrie-fisher-part-44479393
@CienaRee

"It all had been said before. Everything was in place." How many families can say that? He seems peaceful about it. Hopefully Billie can see it this way too, but at her age...

It was probably mentioned before, but I just saw that Todd Fisher produced a 2016 HBO documentary about Carrie and Debbie which will now air on January 7th. What a timing!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Lights:_Starring_Carrie_Fisher_and_Debbie_Reynolds
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 1 Jan - 4:52

@SanghaRen wrote:
@CienaRee wrote:I thought it would be interesting if I posted this part of  a tribute to Carrie and Debbie where Todd Fisher  talks about his mother and sister's deaths: 
@CienaRee

"It all had been said before. Everything was in place." How many families can say that? He seems peaceful about it. Hopefully Billie can see it this way too, but at her age...

It was probably mentioned before, but I just saw that Todd Fisher produced a 2016 HBO documentary about Carrie and Debbie which will now air on January 7th. What a timing!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Lights:_Starring_Carrie_Fisher_and_Debbie_Reynolds
@SanghaRen

Actually it looks like HBO is moving up the documentary on purpose if this article is to be believed.  They are also going to re-air Wishful Drinking.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-bright-lights-documentary-moved-up-20161230-story.html
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 1 Jan - 4:56

SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 2 Jan - 1:53

This is hysterical, from an article about Debbie that talks about their relationship, they were both comedians

The Unsinkable Debbie Reynolds

When Carrie’s then-partner (and father of her daughter Billie), Bryan Lourd, turned out to be gay, Debbie told her daughter: “You know, dear, we’ve had every sort of man in our family—we’ve had horse thieves and alcoholics and one-man bands—but this is our first homosexual!”

As to the rumors Reynolds was a lesbian, Carrie said, “My mother is not a lesbian! She’s just a really, really bad heterosexual.”
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 2 Jan - 18:39

I just needed something to kind of keep my mind quiet - it's way too active lately - and went searching for behind the scenes pics of the OT. There are beautiful ones.

This one is very nice:

I have no idea where this one comes from, but I like how different she looks with the cap.

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Mon 2 Jan - 18:56

Billie finally commemted on Carrie and Debbie's deaths:

“Receiving all of your prayers and kind words over the past week has given me strength during a time I thought strength could not exist,” Lourd wrote. “There are no words to express how much I will miss my Abadaba and my own and only Momby. Your love and support means the world to me.”
http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/02/billie-lourd-carrie-fisher-debbie-reynolds/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
Sad Sad Sad

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 2 Jan - 19:01

@CienaRee wrote:Billie finally commemted on Carrie and Debbie's deaths:

“Receiving all of your prayers and kind words over the past week has given me strength during a time I thought strength could not exist,” Lourd wrote. “There are no words to express how much I will miss my Abadaba and my own and only Momby. Your love and support means the world to me.”
http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/02/billie-lourd-carrie-fisher-debbie-reynolds/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
Sad Sad Sad
@CienaRee

What a lovely and gracious statement to make in such a terrible time.  I am sure Momby and Abadaba are very proud of their Billie.  I wish only peace and lover and good fortune for this young woman. Sad Sad Sad
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 4 Jan - 4:19

A very heartfelt tribute from Mark Hamill for Carrie Fisher:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/03/carrie-fisher-mark-hamill-tribute/
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Wed 4 Jan - 11:16

@SoloSideCousin wrote:A very heartfelt tribute from Mark Hamill for Carrie Fisher:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/03/carrie-fisher-mark-hamill-tribute/
@SoloSideCousin

And seemingly very honest too. He's not pretending they've been best buddies, calling each other all the time for the last 30 years. I recognize some of my overseas friendships (3 people, to be exact, whom I met 20 years ago, each living in a different place now) in this description.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Thu 5 Jan - 13:29

EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MelBee on Thu 5 Jan - 20:50