Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Post by snufkin on Tue 24 Jan - 17:54

I've only seen a few things with Joely Fisher and she's (tbh) just not as a good an actress as Carrie was. The thing with the ST version of Leia as an older woman is that you can see a lot of Debbie Reynold in her, both physically and also the tough, seen it all done it all and not broken yet spirit. So those are sisters through her father, different mother (Connie Stevens, who was a singer and B movie actress) and different sensibility. It did sound from their reminiscing that because the father was a deadbeat, their mother and Debbie frequently teamed up to raise the entire brood of four children.

Honestly I'm fine with re-casting and have it be somebody the same age/sensibility as Carrie, like the Meryl Strep option. Somebody who has both the skills to match the actor playing her son when they're reunited and also who understood her spirit.

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 24 Jan - 18:36; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Tue 24 Jan - 18:27

There's a lovely multiple page tribute to Carrie Fisher in the new issue of Empire Magazine (here in the UK) and there's a section of Carrie quotes.

Two of my favourites:

On Raising Kylo Ren

"Han and I had a volatile relationship...  We had a child who turned out to be Hitler.  You'd feel bad if he turned out like that.  I did spank Adam (Driver) when I first met him."  Carrie at Star Wars Celebration 2016

On Keeping fit

"The only exercise I get lately is running off at the mouth & jumping to conclusions....."  Carrie on Twitter

Her wit and wisdom will live on in the hearts of all those who admired her.

I love you I love you I love you
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 24 Jan - 18:39

Okay, I now have a vivid image in my head of five foot Carrie putting six foot three Adam over her knee and spanking him!!
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Mon 27 Feb - 8:33

[url=https://twitter.com/Variety/status/836070509439655936 ]https://twitter.com/Variety/status/836070509439655936 [/url]
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Tue 7 Mar - 14:24

https://soundcloud.com/sean-lennon-5/bird-song_r2

Sean Lennon put out a demo of a song that he and Carrie wrote.  I love you  And said some things about her aswell.

(Hopefully the link works )
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Sat 25 Mar - 15:27

A public memorial will take place today, it will be streamed here:

https://www.debbiereynolds.com/

John Williams will perform and Daisy was seen in LA this week. Maybe the cast will attend as well?
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 7 Apr - 18:11

Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 7 Apr - 18:16

@Darth Dingbat

So...that sounds like Princess Leia likely won't be re-cast.

I am REALLY hoping that as a contingency, they possibly pre-filmed one or two important scenes *coughs Kylo reunion/confrontation* as part of TLJ's fliming...

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 7 Apr - 18:21

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth Dingbat

I am REALLY hoping that as a contingency, they possibly pre-filmed one or two important scenes *coughs Kylo reunion/confrontation* as part of TLJ's fliming...
@ISeeAnIsland

So what if the reunion with Kylo really happens in TLJ???

(I keep praying for it)
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 7 Apr - 18:38

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth Dingbat

@ISeeAnIsland

So what if the reunion with Kylo really happens in TLJ???

(I keep praying for it)
@Darth_Awakened

That article has me wondering that...

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Fri 7 Apr - 20:32

Now I am hoping for a scene in episode 9 where Han and Leia are convorees flying off together, fulfilling Leia's wish to travel with Han around the galaxy.....with Luke telling Ben Solo something about the ones we love never truly leaving and how his parents would be proud of him (after Ben redeems himself by the end of episode 9).

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 13 Apr - 19:17

Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 15 Apr - 15:01

Mark's tribute to Carrie - SWC Orlando

Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 15 Apr - 17:18

One of the details from the panel is that she worked with Rian Johnson on the script and dialogue, so hopefully we'll see “Make the women smarter and the love scenes better.”
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Sat 15 Apr - 22:11

@snufkin wrote:One of the details from the panel is that she worked with Rian Johnson on the script and dialogue, so hopefully we'll see “Make the women smarter and the love scenes better.”
@snufkin

That was like the first thing he told right, that he related to her as a writer first.  So that makes me also hopeful for the script.

Just watched the panel with Mark. Carrie in her early 20's  highlightning Niehtze and Kierkegaard and in her trailer the american tabloids  Very Happy
Mark shared some heartwarming personal stories.
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 23 Apr - 6:32

For all you Spanish speakers out there - is KK really saying they're not following the original story they had planned because of Carrie's passing?

http://www.ecartelera.com/noticias/38904/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-entrevista/
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 23 Apr - 6:40

@Darth Dingbat wrote:For all you Spanish speakers out there - is KK really saying they're not following the original story they had planned because of Carrie's passing?

@Darth Dingbat
Not a Spanish speaker, but where Carrie is concerned, how can they follow their original story or plans for Leia? It's tragic, but things are going to have to change. I think this goes along with Kathleen saying they won't be recreating Leia with CGI. I can't remember if they confirmed for sure that they weren't recasting her, but if this article is saying what I think it is then the path they had set for Leia is going to have to be retired.

I did put it through Google translate. She says: "Given the circumstances, we will not follow the path we had set out."
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 23 Apr - 6:51

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:For all you Spanish speakers out there - is KK really saying they're not following the original story they had planned because of Carrie's passing?

@Darth Dingbat
Not a Spanish speaker, but where Carrie is concerned, how can they follow their original story or plans for Leia? It's tragic, but things are going to have to change. I think this goes along with Kathleen saying they won't be recreating Leia with CGI. I can't remember if they confirmed for sure that they weren't recasting her, but if this article is saying what I think it is then the path they had set for Leia is going to have to be retired.

I did put it through Google translate. She says: "Given the circumstances, we will not follow the path we had set out."
@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh, of course - Leia's arc can't stay exactly the same, certainly.

I just got a slightly different impression from people talking about this article in other places - they made it sound like the story is in constant motion and things are liable to change even because of fan theories?! Which I'm sure is not the case, that would be completely ridiculous (not to mention going against everything Rian et al. have said).

I don't speak Spanish so I don't know if that was just exaggeration; the bit about fans and theories seemed pretty messy and weird on Google Translate so I didn't want to rely on that.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 23 Apr - 6:54

@Darth Dingbat

Yesterday I listened to Steel Wars podcasts (posted it in our podcasts thread - it's not too long just 20 minutes) with interviews from SWC.
As I understood Kathy did say something in a vein of "adjusting" the story, and that they have been working on it since January.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 23 Apr - 7:12

@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@FrolickingFizzgig

I just got a slightly different impression from people talking about this article in other places - they made it sound like the story is in constant motion and things are liable to change even because of fan theories?! Which I'm sure is not the case, that would be completely ridiculous (not to mention going against everything Rian et al. have said).

I don't speak Spanish so I don't know if that was just exaggeration; the bit about fans and theories seemed pretty messy and weird on Google Translate so I didn't want to rely on that.
@Darth Dingbat
I wouldn't think anything of it, honestly. In Google translate it reads like something Daisy said a while back, that Lucasfilm/Disney pays attention to the fandom (to an extent). It would be weird if they didn't. I'm sure they have positions that revolve around just that + predicting what is sure to attract audiences/hit home

I would hate to see this cause another They'reFanPanderingGate/Don'tKnowWhatThey'reDoingGate ( Laughing ). I'm sure Kathleen was just trying to be polite and informative. From what I've seen/heard Rian has had his storyline written for a very long time (he did the treatment for IX too, remember). They've always said that they're open to making some changes, as they should be, but it certainly doesn't read to me as though the story is in motion at all times. In Carrie's case they had to make more adjustments for obvious reasons.

Again, not a Spanish speaker, but the translation is definitely legible enough.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 23 Apr - 7:31

@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@FrolickingFizzgig

@Darth Dingbat
I wouldn't think anything of it, honestly. In Google translate it reads like something Daisy said a while back, that Lucasfilm/Disney pays attention to the fandom (to an extent). It would be weird if they didn't. I'm sure they have positions that revolve around just that + predicting what is sure to attract audiences/hit home

I'm really not down for yet another They'reFanPanderingGate/Don'tKnowWhatThey'reDoingGate. I'm sure Kathleen is just trying to be polite and informative. From what I've seen/heard Rian has had his storyline written for a very long time (he did the treatment for IX too, remember). I'm sure they're open to making changes, and they should be, but it certainly doesn't read to me as though the story is in motion at all times. In Carrie's case they had to make more adjustments for obvious reasons.

@FrolickingFizzgig

Nah, I definitely don't think anybody's pandering, but I'm afraid you can't prevent a They'rePanderingGate from brewing as usual - elsewhere people seem to be reading a lot into KK's words (whatever they are).

If I click on the "translate" button, my Chrome automatically translates to my native language, not English, so that's probably why the whole thing seems so garbled. I could probably change it in the preferences if I were less lazy...

Anyway, there was something about a script reading for IX soon which SWNN seems to have interpreted as a table read, which would imply that they're filming quite soon. But I wonder if it just means that KK et al. will be going through Trevorrow's first (or however many-eth) draft.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 23 Apr - 7:37

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@FrolickingFizzgig

@Darth Dingbat

I'm really not down for yet another They'reFanPanderingGate/Don'tKnowWhatThey'reDoingGate. I'm sure Kathleen is just trying to be polite and informative. From what I've seen/heard Rian has had his storyline written for a very long time (he did the treatment for IX too, remember). I'm sure they're open to making changes, and they should be, but it certainly doesn't read to me as though the story is in motion at all times. In Carrie's case they had to make more adjustments for obvious reasons.

@FrolickingFizzgig

Nah, I definitely don't think anybody's pandering, but I'm afraid you can't prevent a They'rePanderingGate from brewing as usual - elsewhere people seem to be reading a lot into KK's words (whatever they are).

If I click on the "translate" button, my Chrome automatically translates to my native language, not English, so that's probably why the whole thing seems so garbled. I could probably change it in the preferences if I were less lazy...

Anyway, there was something about a script reading for IX soon which SWNN seems to have interpreted as a table read, which would imply that they're filming quite soon. But I wonder if it just means that KK et al. will be going through Trevorrow's first (or however many-eth) draft.
@Darth Dingbat
I just realized how serious my post sounded when I really wasn't at all, lol! It's too late right now. Bad schedule.

Yeah, the Spanish to English translation is undoubtedly going to be more accurate and make more sense just because the languages are similar.

I do still get a that secondhand embarrassment from other places, even if I don't see them. I've just been having so much fun since the trailer/poster dropped that I can't see why people in our camp would still be looking out for things to drag them down. As always this is going to get misread and blown out of proportion. Oh well.

FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 23 Apr - 17:19

My Spanish is not the best. I studied in college but I am fully out of practise. Nonetheless, I can usually read Spanish - close to French too - and understand what is meant. It's actually fun to read Star Wars articles in Spanish, I should do that more often. Yes, indeed, they sat down with Colin Trevorrow to see in which direction to go after Carrie's passing and they will not stick to the original plan. Also no CGI Leia. What that means is up in the air since we don't know what the original plan was anyway.

What I found interesting in the last weeks is to hear that no one seems to know yet what will happen in IX and it makes me wonder to what extent the story has been actually outlined when they first settled on the story for TFA. And no, I am not freaking out. I am also high since the trailer and the poster and wonder why so many people are being negative when it's all looking good. I just would love to hear one day about the twists and turns they took with the story. Just out of curiosity.

And yes they read the fans' comments and take them into account - to a certain extent, because I don't see KK caving in to please some hardcore and entitled fans. Maybe they have someone assigned to read our forum amongst others Very Happy
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 23 Apr - 17:37

Yep agree with @SanghaRen's reading. It sounds like Rian Johnson (likely w/her input b/c he mentioned the two of them working together) had written a story for IX where Leia's role would be critical. But in light of Carrie's death, they can't go that route and won't be using CGI for the character (and likely writing her out) out of respect. The thing that probably adds extra stress to the situation is that there's a looming Writer's Guild Strike here in the States. And if that goes through, nobody's going to be able to write anything even if they're on a production schedule.

I had hoped after reading Bloodline that the plan was subvert the fridged mother trope GL used in the PT, including showing that it's actually having Leia as a mother, not a creepy deceased helmet grandpa, that's the source of Ben's powers. And that eventually it'd be about him living up to her legacy. But if the best route under the circumstances is to write out the character and have VIII (which is going to be the best one out of the series) be her final appearance, they're going to have to figure out how to have her death be part of the story w/out it being the gross cliche.

Also on a side note, anybody else notice the kickass styling they have for her hair and costume, both in the trailer and BTS photos RJ shot? Given the amount of s**t she gave GL and JJ over making her look like a "classy gas station attendant" "No bra while that chick Queen Armadillo gets a costume change every time she walks through a doorway," and "baboon a**"/"Hairy earphone" hairstyles - this is probably what she wanted for Leia's appearance.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 17 Jun - 1:39

So, um, I hate posting this, but the LA Coroner released their report on Carrie's death. Heart disease and sleep apnea were factors, among other things:

http://people.com/movies/carrie-fisher-cause-of-death/

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum