Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 17 Jun - 3:24

My friend and I were talking about this a couple of months ago. Her mom is a nurse and heads the OB department at our local hospital. She said that she would not be surprised if the heart disease was due to her past use of coke plus other factors. I guess she is right to some extent... Sad So sad...

Birdwoman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 17 Jun - 4:11

The chain smoking, long-term effect of using cocaine were my first thoughts. Her brother is so preternaturally composed (or just had a lifetime dealing with this, so his statement sounds pretty pragmatic

I would tell you, from my perspective that there’s certainly no news that Carrie did drugs,” Todd Fisher said. He noted that his sister wrote about her drug use frequently, and that many of the drugs she took were prescribed by doctors to try to treat her mental health conditions.

Fisher long battled drug addiction and mental illness. She said she smoked pot at 13, used LSD by 21 and was diagnosed as bipolar at 24. She was treated with electroshock therapy and medication.

“I am not shocked that part of her health was affected by drugs,” Todd Fisher said.

He said his sister’s heart condition was probably worsened by her smoking habit, as well as the medications she took. “If you want to know what killed her, it’s all of it,” he said.

Todd Fisher said it was difficult to blame doctors who treated his sister because they were trying to help her.

“They were doing their best to cure a mental disorder. Can you really blame them?” Todd Fisher said. “Without her drugs, maybe she would have left long ago.”
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 16:36

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 19 Jun - 17:15

@"ISeetAnIsland"

That is just incredibly sad and terrible.  I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if her return to the SW universe brought up a lot of memories and feelings so toxic that she just couldn't maintain her sobriety.  :-(
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 19 Jun - 17:38

It's pretty heartbreaking. And judging from her brother's quote, it's something that didn't surprise him given what both her history and their father's history. If anything, it sounds like he made his peace with what could happen a long time ago and that in some respects, she survived a lot longer than would've been expected under the circumstances.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 17:42

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@"ISeetAnIsland"

That is just incredibly sad and terrible.  I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if her return to the SW universe brought up a lot of memories and feelings so toxic that she just couldn't maintain her sobriety.  :-(
@SoloSideCousin

I wonder about that, too. You had the pressure to lose weight...the pressure of being back in the media spotlight...the release of The Princess Diaries, and who knows that that might have dredged up...

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Mon 19 Jun - 19:18

Very sad. I am surprised about the heroin part.
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Mon 19 Jun - 20:01

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@"ISeetAnIsland"

@SoloSideCousin

I wonder about that, too. You had the pressure to lose weight...the pressure of being back in the media spotlight...the release of The Princess Diaries, and who knows that that might have dredged up...

@ISeeAnIsland

Yeah, all of this, definitely. I'm reminded of her interview with Stephen Colbert (her last interview??? It's from mid December) where you can tell by her heavy breathing that she's having some health/heart conditions. And she seemed shocked & dismayed that the reveal about her affair with Harrison Ford was garnering so much attention. I think she said something like "it's too big of a story" (I'm definitely paraphrasing and that might have been a different interview).

SheLitAFire
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 19 Jun - 20:07

Oh, Carrie Sad

I'm sure the medical professionals know best, but with that combination, I'm surprised it would be sleep apnea that killed her. Heroin and cocaine has been a fatal mix to so many people. Mixing stimulants with depressants is especially bad for the heart, I believe.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 19 Jun - 20:24

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Oh, Carrie Sad

I'm sure the medical professionals know best, but with that combination, I'm surprised it would be sleep apnea that killed her. Heroin and cocaine has been a fatal mix to so many people. Mixing stimulants with depressants is especially bad for the heart, I believe.
@Darth Dingbat

Depends on what she was on at the time.

I got diagnosed with a mild sleep apnea as part of going through the process to have a minor surgery covered by my health insurance later this summer.

What I was told is that if you have sleep apnea and are on a narcotic (which they expect me to be for a few days post-surgery as a painkiller), sleep apnea has a very small chance of being life-threatening. The deal is that normally, with sleep apnea, when you stop breathing for a moment, your body ends up waking you up and re-starts your breathing. But, when you're in a deeper, narcotic-impacted sleep, you can lose the ability to wake yourself up, and you just simply stop breathing and not restarting.

So, for me, when I have my surgery, I'll have to sleep with a CPAP machine for about a week post-surgery, or however long I'm on painkillers.

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 19 Jun - 21:08

@SheLitAFire wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@"ISeetAnIsland"

@SoloSideCousin

@ISeeAnIsland

Yeah, all of this, definitely. I'm reminded of her interview with Stephen Colbert (her last interview??? It's from mid December) where you can tell by her heavy breathing that she's having some health/heart conditions. And she seemed shocked & dismayed that the reveal about her affair with Harrison Ford was garnering so much attention. I think she said something like "it's too big of a story" (I'm definitely paraphrasing and that might have been a different interview).

@SheLitAFire

Aw man, I have never watched this interview before. Not only does her breathing seem to not be that great, but she seems to have a lot of anxiety about what she revealed in the book. She's all worried about HF being upset. You can see it. Poor thing.  Even with everything she had been through, there was still something of the little innocent girl in her.  She shouldn've care what he thought, like Stephen Colbert was trying to say.  What a sweet, sensitive soul.  This is heartbreaking to watch.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Mon 19 Jun - 23:22

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@"ISeetAnIsland"

@SoloSideCousin

@ISeeAnIsland

@SheLitAFire

Aw man, I have never watched this interview before. Not only does her breathing seem to not be that great, but she seems to have a lot of anxiety about what she revealed in the book. She's all worried about HF being upset. You can see it. Poor thing.  Even with everything she had been through, there was still something of the little innocent girl in her.  She shouldn've care what he thought, like Stephen Colbert was trying to say.  What a sweet, sensitive soul.  This is heartbreaking to watch.
@SoloSideCousin

I believe I read in another interview that she had told HF she was going to put that info in the book and got his permission. I do feel so sad because she's so embarrassed. Poor thing.

ETA: she gave him a heads up and sent him an early copy before it went to publishing, telling him he could add notes/revisions. I don't think he ever did.
http://people.com/movies/what-was-harrison-fords-amazing-reaction-to-carrie-fisher-outing-their-affair-on-star-wars/
SheLitAFire
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Tue 20 Jun - 13:12

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Oh, Carrie Sad

@Darth Dingbat

Depends on what she was on at the time.

I got diagnosed with a mild sleep apnea as part of going through the process to have a minor surgery covered by my health insurance later this summer.  

What I was told is that if you have sleep apnea and are on a narcotic (which they expect me to be for a few days post-surgery as a painkiller), sleep apnea has a very small chance of being life-threatening. The deal is that normally, with sleep apnea, when you stop breathing for a moment, your body ends up waking you up and re-starts your breathing. But, when you're in a deeper, narcotic-impacted sleep, you can lose the ability to wake yourself up, and you just simply stop breathing and not restarting.  

So, for me, when I have my surgery, I'll have to sleep with a CPAP machine for about a week post-surgery, or however long I'm on painkillers.
@ISeeAnIsland

The idea of sleep apnea  being a cause of death here is not because of her not being able to breathe, but because of the cardiovascular damage that long term untreated episodes of apnea (pauses in breathing) cause due to added strain on the heart and vessels. If this happens over decades, untreated sleep apnea is associated with strokes, myocardial infarction  ("heart attack") and sudden death due to cardiac causes, which sounds like what happened to Carrie.  

Cocaine can also increase your risk of myocardial infarction. Carrie basically had a lot of risk factors playing out all at once for years. I'm ok with it if she understood the risks and made her decisions, but it would really suck if the sleep apnea was undiagnosed and she didn't know she was putting herself at risk for cardiac death with the continued drug use. People assume overdose is the only way drugs kill you, and when you're young that is usually the most common cause of drug related death, but things change as we get older.

I know a lot of fans are angry that these results are being revealed and discussed in public, but I think it's important to talk about it so people realize the added risks they may be taking and take steps to get help. And of course I didn't know Carrie, but based on her transparency in regards to her battle with drugs and mental illness in the hopes that it would help others, I think she would have wanted for people to know.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum