Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Post by IoJovi on Tue 27 Dec - 18:39

@snufkin wrote:

They may have had a plan already in place if her health prevented her from participating in IX. But at least the ST that they did Bloodline, gave her an open mike for the TFA press junket (where she ripped to shreds a lot of the double standards she faced in the OT), made Leia a general and her kid the main one carrying the legacy/Force powers. But it sucks because she's one of those voices (and the ST really amplified hers) that we need in this world, both for her humor and honesty/strength. And it sucks because if nothing else, I personally only really cared about the ST in that Leia could finally have the chance to get her kid back and have something of a personal life where she didn't have to sacrifice another loved one. I think we all like this pairing in part because you know Leia would be a Hell of an awesome MiL to Rey and blunt talking grandmother.

Anyways, this is up there with losing Bowie and Prince - all three geniuses who were also so very human and made the world a better place through their art.
@snufkin

I can't remember the last time I cried over a celebrity, let alone sobbed like I'm doing now. I didn't even cry when Bowie died. I wasn't only a fan of Carrie's work as Princess Leia (along with that character being one of my all time favorites - up there with Kylo Ren), but Carrie as a person. She was brutally honest, and would make jokes over things people don't tend to joke about. I LOVED her for that. I said it before, but she reminded me of less of a celebrity, and more like one of my mom's crazy friends.

I am going to miss the living sith out of her. Sad

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 27 Dec - 18:53

@iojovi - People loved her as much for the honesty/humor as they did for being a brilliant writer and playing such an iconic (and feminist) character. I really loved how she'd drop in every few months on the Late Late Show when Craig Ferguson was hosting because they were friends and just hang out, being completely filthy and hilarious. He'd basically just turn the show over to her to riff on whatever she was thinking about or doing and it was always brilliant. You could tell how much he just enjoyed their friendship.

Here's some other nice tributes (via Chuck Wendig)

Her last Rolling Stone interview (and I'd bet money that part of the sexual tension Rey has with Leia's son has some of its origin in Carrie's joke pre-paternity reveal that Leia and Vader should have an affair).

The Last Word: Carrie Fisher on LSD, Death and Sex With Han Solo

What are the important rules you live by?
Be kind. Don't hurt other people. It's all the sort of Christian ethics stuff I thought was bullshit when I was a kid. No, it turns out it's not bullshit. Tell the truth, be kind, all that corny stuff.

What was your favorite book as a child and what does it say about you?
I was a freaky kid. I loved language and I would read all these books. I liked Truman Capote and I was obsessed with Dorothy Parker. I wanted to be her. I was just in love with words and they saved my from a lot of stuff. Books were my first drug. They took me away from everything and I would just consume them.

How did you find the strength to pick yourself up and recover from so many of your difficult moments?
Well, what are the choices? The choices are dying, so you just have to get to the other side of it. I was always able to trust there was one. And I don't know why I thought that.

Are there ever moments when you want to pull a Shatner and just yell at the fans, "Get over it! They're just movies!"
I don't. Over the years I've considered that that they're not just movies. It's sort of this weird lifestyle; I've watched families raise their kids with it. It's adorable and freaky at the same time.

Some actors resent the big role that made them famous. You've never seemed to mind Princess Leia.
I've totally embraced it. I like Princess Leia. I like how she was feisty. I like how she killed Jabba the Hutt. That's my favorite thing she did.

Are you happier now than you've ever been?
Yep. Well, I'm not happy about being older, except what are the options? But I've learned a lot. I trust myself. I trust my instincts. I know what I'm gonna do, what I can do, what I can't do. I've been through a lot, and I could go through more, but I hope I don't have to. But if I did, I'd be able to do it. I'm not going to enjoy dying, but there's not much prep for that.

Do you fear death?
No. I fear dying. Anything with pain associated with it, I don't like. I've been there for a couple of people when they were dying; it didn't look like fun. But if I was gonna do it, I'd want someone like me around. And I will be there!

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 27 Dec - 18:56; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 27 Dec - 18:55

I'm feeling absolutely heartbroken right now. I really thought that she was going to pull through this.

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 27 Dec - 18:59

Just...can't believe it. Sorry.
She was a big part of my childhood. My hero. And more so when I became an adult with mental health problems.

RIP Princess.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Tue 27 Dec - 19:00

Oh no.

This is terrible news

I know from experience with family that if you are stabilised you can then die. It happened with my aunt. She pulled through and then was stabilised, was talking to us then died a few days after.
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 27 Dec - 19:16

God be with you Carrie. We all loved you so much, a figure of strength to billions of us girls, big and small. And God be with her family, her mother, her siblings, but especially Billie Lourd, her only child. As an only child who just lost her own mother just two months ago in part due to sudden and unexpected cardiac arrest, I cannot help but think of this young woman right now. I am married with a child of my own, but Billie is still so young. She still needs her mother not just for love, but for guidance and wisdom. This just makes me sick on so many levels, especially since I come from a family that has been plagued by sudden cardiovascular deaths of young women (my grandmother and aunts) where they leave non-adult children and the effect is devastating on a multi-generational level.

Things have gotten better with the medical industry and women's heart disease ... (better than 16 years ago when my Mom's blood pressure was 269/146 and she had pain in her shoulder and the *only* reason the hospital would agree to admit her was because of her family history. Why worry she was having a heart attack and ended up needing a *sextuple* bypass) ... but they are not good enough yet. Doctors still blow off women when they shouldn't, and, paradoxically, the younger you are, like Carrie, the less vascular detour protection you have against massive heart attacks because that network grows more complex over time.

Women's symptoms are also atypical. So if you have wrist pain, jaw pain, tooth pain, shoulder pain, nausea, get breathless at rest, or feel unwell or anxious in an unusual way, get checked out. And don't let them blow you off with an EKG. My mom's EKGs were fine both when she was having the first heart attack and minutes before she went into cardiac arrest at the end of October. Stress tests also have an incredibly high false negative rate. Get tryponin blood tests, get tests for C-Reactive protein. Get detailed CTs and MRIs. Get the cardio cath, which is the gold standard. I found out that I have a valve leak with one.

I read that Carrie had started throwing up. I wonder if she felt nauseous for a while. She probably thought she had a bug because the medical industry doesn't have a culture that teaches women to think it might actually be their heart. Poor Carrie! This just makes me so sick and sad and mad. I am tired of women needlessly dying of heart disease because medicine downplays their risk.  Carrie was a trailblazer for authenticity and for those with mental illness and addiction ... now she may be a trailblazer in death with women and heart disease ... but what might have been had some doctor done more due diligence, because a heart attack like this usually doesn't come out of nowhere.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Tue 27 Dec - 19:24

I don't know what to say.I'm still in shock over the news.Carrie's such a legend and had so much impact on people's lives.It really brekas my heart she was taken from us so early when she had so much life in her yet.I can only imagine what her poor family is going through.Billy is so young and for Debbie to outlive her own child it must be devastating for both of them.
RIP Carrie you and all your accomplishments will not be forgotten.I hope you're in a better place. About to C

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Tue 27 Dec - 19:33

Just learned that Carrie Fisher has joined the stars forever Shocked RIP Carrie and may be the Force be with you forever!

reylo1992
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 27 Dec - 19:38

Still shocked. She was so lively! So active! How could this come out of no where? About to C

@mods, can we move our mourning to the Carrie Fisher Thread, or start a new one?

She deserves her own thread, not the Spoilers/Rumors Thread.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Tue 27 Dec - 19:56

Got the news via Facebook. Pretty sure I'll tear up watching VIII. R.I.P. F!!ck you 2016.
Rimfaxe96
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Tue 27 Dec - 19:59

I just got up a little while ago and heard the sad news. Sad  I just don't know what to say.  It's truly awful.  It really seemed like she would pull through.  I feel so sad right now.
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

RIP Carrie Fisher

Post by AceofWands on Tue 27 Dec - 20:01

pale Sad

She was still so young.
AceofWands
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:06

@Xylo Ren wrote:Still shocked. She was so lively! So active! How could this come out of no where? About to C

@mods, can we move our mourning to the Carrie Fisher Thread, or start a new one?

She deserves her own thread, not the Spoilers/Rumors Thread.

I agree with @Xylo Ren. Shall we use the thread "Leia in Episode VIII and IX" or not?

Last edited by reylo1992 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:19; edited 1 time in total

reylo1992
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:06

Omg how is this happening??!!! She was supposed to be around for so many more years to celebrate these new movies!!
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:06

My mum texted me the news on my way home from work. All I can say is I'm deeply shocked and saddened by the news. RIP Carrie. May the Force be with you and your family. xxx
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:09

I was having a crappy day yesterday and today, just came back from a museum, and then opened up my internet to see the news. Ugh I'm still in shock.
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Tue 27 Dec - 20:10

Just woke up to this horrible news Sad I'm in tears and I honestly didn't expect to be so affected, I was never a big SW fan until this year and never really followed her career/life much. But this feels really sad.

Please Disney please, if you have any decency at all, DO NOT resurrect Leia for Episode IX with the ghastly CGI, I beg you.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightsofReyloRen on Tue 27 Dec - 20:12

Sad RIP beautiful Star Wars princess. You'll sincerely be missed by all you touched in life. Amen.

Last edited by KnightsofReyloRen on Tue 27 Dec - 20:14; edited 1 time in total
KnightsofReyloRen
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvia Snow on Tue 27 Dec - 20:17

It will be even harder when episode 8 come around....to see General Leia one last time... Sad
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Tue 27 Dec - 20:18

@rey09 wrote:Omg how is this happening??!!! She was supposed to be around for so many more years to celebrate these new movies!!
@rey09

I don't know. At least she had a come back before she died. I'm so thankful she had the chance to be in the sequel trilogy, and so thankful she blessed us with her work and her wonderful presence.

Now that there's a thread for Carrie this one is irrelevant. I just didn't feel comfortable expressing my sadness in the speculation thread, so I created this one, which can obviously go.

Still speechless. But I bet she's laughing at all of this from wherever she is.
AceofWands
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Tue 27 Dec - 20:27

Carrie will be missed.

I really wish we got to see her more in the movies. Anyways, when it's time it's time. Apparently, 2016 is swiping people away.

Anyways... I guess this was the year when the greats passed away. Not bad to be in company of Bowie, Prince, Alan Rickman, Scott Weilend, George Michael...
AceofWands
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 27 Dec - 20:31

She had the best reaction to difficulties in life. She taught us to kick in the a**
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 27 Dec - 20:39

If you've never read some of her old interviews with Rolling Stone from the 1980s, they're some of the best. This is before she got diagnosed and was in the height of her drug use. But I had older siblings and found them lying around the house when I was probably 8-9 years old and reading her words just cemented my love for her humor and irreverance. I'm just sorry she won't be around to talk more openly about what you know has to be her behind the scenes role in writing the story and new characters, especially for Rey. Or in getting her DVD comments

'Star Wars': Slaves to the 'Empire' (I'd love to know if the comment in bold figured into the relatinship Leia's son seems to be headed towards with Rey)

The talk shifts to Leia's romance with Han Solo in Empire, and Carrie slyly speculates that "if she had her wits about her, she would have fallen for the big, strong Wookie. She's not that experienced, but because she's a princess, she would have some kind of problem with whoever she dated. Like, 'She can't marry out of her solar system' or something."

Her notion of an X-rated sequel to Empire makes her howl with laughter.

"Nude scenes with the robots!" she envisions. "They could do anything. And Darth Vader having an affair, making the princess do awful, kinky things. Then afterward, you could shoot a scene where you see her sleeping contently and have him lying there, smoking a cigarette."

Carrie Fisher: A Few Words on Princess Leia, Fame and Feminism

Meet Princess Leia Organa, nee Skywalker: Space b****.
She has no friends, no family; her planet was blown up in seconds – along with her hairdresser – so all she has is a cause. From the first film [Star Wars], she was just a soldier, front line and center. The only way they knew to make the character strong was to make her angry. In Return of the Jedi, she gets to be more feminine, more supportive, more affectionate. But let's not forget that these movies are basically boys' fantasies. So the other way they made her more female in this one was to have her take off her clothes.

It would have been a nice touch for Darth Vader to lift up that visor and reveal Eddie Fisher underneath, singing ''Oh, My Papa.''
A lot of parallels, me and Leia. Dad goes off to the dark side, and Mom marries a millionaire. My brother and I went in different directions on the Debbie and Eddie issue. He's gotten involved with Jesus, and I do active work on myself, trying to make myself better and better. It's funny.

Who's more famous than Debbie and Eddie? C-3PO and Darth Vader, and Jesus Christ and God. There's a whole lot of freight that goes with being movie stars' kids – on the cover of Life when you're two minutes old. I remember the press diving through trees to get pictures of me, my brother and my mother. Poor Debbie; that bastard Eddie; and Liz. We've been public domain all our lives. I was trained in celebrity, so I did the only thing I knew. I went into the family business.

(Han and Leia in bold)
Leia is a strong woman figure, but she's a myth. She doesn't operate in real life. And when they try to show real-life women in the movies. . . .
It doesn't work, even in the Forties movies where it works the best, for me anyway. In stories like Adam's Rib and His Girl Friday, you've got two people competing as equals, but they love each other. It's the classic Forties relationship, and the conflict is what makes it passionate. And no matter how much the woman might avoid the man in the beginning, she always softens up and marries him in the end. You don't ever see what happens after the thrill of the chase is gone. I'm interested in what happens in the day-today business of living relationships, and that isn't what movies are cut out to do.

I think films work best as either documentary or all-out fantasy.
Movies are dreams! And they work on you subliminally. You can play Leia as capable, independent, sensible, a soldier, a fighter, a woman in control – control being, of course, a lesser word than master. But you can portray a woman who's a master and get through all the female prejudice if you have her travel in time, if you add a magical quality, if you're dealing in fairy-tale terms. People need these bigger-than-life projections. Wait! Listen to this –

Uh, oh. She's getting out her Bruno Bettelheim now. She's turning the pages of The Uses of Enchantment: the Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales and finding a footnote – a quote from Mircea Eliade. Any minute now. . . .
Ah, here! ''This amounts to saying that initiatory scenarios – even camouflaged, as they are in fairy tales – are the expression of a psychodrama that answers a deep need in the human being. Every man wants to experience certain perilous situations, to confront exceptional ordeals, to make his way into the Other World – and he experiences all this, on the level of his imaginative life, by hearing or reading fairy tales.'' There you go. That's why Star Wars is appealing. You watch someone fight the perilous monster. All of us are looking for an outside ordeal that will internally change us.

Carrie Fisher: 'I've Always Been in 'Star Wars"

On a feminist scale, Leia does pretty well, really.

Huge.

She starts off as a little bit of the damsel in distress, but then she picks up the blaster –
But not in distress. What distress?

Well, they had to rescue her but she ended up rescuing herself.

You know, they opened the door, but then it was, what are we doing now? And she bossed them around and… distress? [Laughs] I don't know what your idea of distress is, but that wasn't [it]. I was locked up, but, you know, so were the guys later on. What about them? And also I wasn't some babe running through the galaxy with my *** bouncing around.

I also loved how she was a regular on the Late Late Show when Craig Ferguson was hosting and came on every few months because they were friends. He's also a recovering addict who's open about issues with depression and suicide, so you could tell that it wasn't some superficial friendship. That the two of them really understood where the other was coming from, including just being these smart, very funny people who clearly enjoyed talking with each other. This was right before they announced her coming back as Leia, with lots of Force Sex related jokes

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 27 Dec - 20:45

She was just so lively, traveling here and there, new book, filming, interviews, posting on Twitter and Gary on IG...just seems so insane that she's gone all of a sudden. Can't believe it.

Surreal. No
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:48

@Maria Antonietta wrote:She had the best reaction to difficulties in life. She taught us to kick in the a**
@Maria Antonietta

First, thanks for the thread. Yes, Carrie proved to be a fighter and in this way her portrayal of Leia was remarkable. If there is one character who deserves to be praised in Star Wars, it's her! Like Leia, Carrie has been through so many things in her life but facesd them with courage, and this is something that one could feel in her acting in TFA. I hope there will be beautiful scenes with her in Episode VIII because she deserves it!

Last edited by reylo1992 on Tue 27 Dec - 20:52; edited 1 time in total

reylo1992
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum