Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Carrie Fisher Tribute Thread

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 4:38

Still not quite realizing it today, it just doesn't feel real. The only thing I feel certain about is that I won't watch any press conferences etc for the future Star Wars movies, 'cause Carrie's snark and funny details like her giving her 'son' a spank at TFA's set was what made them worth watching.
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 7:21

Found this beautiful music- piano version of Leia's theme. 

http://ronaestrider.tumblr.com/
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 9:30

I see the vultures are already circling with filth regarding Carrie's 'addiction' problems.

To actually equate having medication for bipolar with drug addiction is not the 'lowest of the low', it's beneath that.

If this is what they believe then the antidepressants I'm taking mean I've been a junkie for 20 years.
Sick! Evil or Very Mad
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 10:43

Anybody who's being sanctimonious about her passing isn't honoring her memory, because she'd be the first one to make any kind of joke. I was just re-reading another one of her Rolling Stone interviews (which are brilliant and on the website), where she interviewed Madonna in the early 1990s. They're kindred spirits in using their lives and personas as a source material for art. For Madonna it was her religion and sexuality and for Carrie it was her demons and sense of humor. So Carrie Fisher would be the first person in line to crack a joke about what happened and it'd be the best goddamn joke ever. What sucks about whatever happens with IX is that given the page that's been passed around on the Internet about her script changes to ESB (given people's apprehensions about the writer/director) is that she'd have input. Certainly you know that how Rey has been shaped as a character has to do with her input and beyond just "no slave outfit."

Also yes to how much of what made the character iconic and beloved is because of the force of personality behind it. We love the character because so much of it is informed by the woman playing her, somebody who was fearless, vulnerable, funny, and seen as the leader both for their talents as their hard work/experience. So many of us are bummed because the ST and her book really were about making things right by Leia in terms of getting her due. Now I really love that Stephen Colbert had her on his show and asked her about the bit with Leia comforting Luke after her whole planet was blown up, as in this is some serious bullshit that never got addressed (along with "surprise, your biological father is the guy who tortured you and your boyfriend"). And her come back was great, "she didn't just lose her family and planet, she lost her record collection." Luke got his due in the OT and it was such a thrill to finally see Leia get her due in the ST as equally as important.

General Leia Organa Is The Hero We Need Right Now

Watching the early Star Wars movies, it’s clear that Leia was never meant to be the protagonist; she was meant to be the protagonist’s sexual prize. The audience is supposed to root for Luke, the Chosen One with special Jedi powers (never mind that Leia is also sensitive to the Force and probably would have crushed Yoda’s bootcamp), or else they’re supposed to love the roguish Han Solo. Leia was never supposed to be anything other than someone’s main squeeze. But something weird and magical happened in the story arc from A New Hope to The Force Awakens: Leia became the sleeper hero of the Star Wars franchise.

We have Carrie Fisher to thank for that, for bringing something to Leia that was deeper and more resonant than superficial specialness or charm. Leia was written as an empty vessel, and Fisher poured herself inside: her own pain, her own quiet struggle, her own resolve. With Fisher animating her, the princess who was supposed to be an object of romance became instead an engine of revolt.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 11:24

Carrie's fierce intelligence really came through in Leia's portrayal. It's probably the quality that struck me the most when I rewatched the OT some while ago.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 12:32

@Rimfaxe96 wrote:Still not quite realizing it today, it just doesn't feel real. The only thing I feel certain about is that I won't watch any press conferences etc for the future Star Wars movies, 'cause Carrie's snark and funny details like her giving her 'son' a spank at TFA's set was what made them worth watching.
@Rimfaxe96

The press conferences will definitively not be the same. I usually don't watch them for any movie but for TFA I did, to see Carrie.

Right now I can't stomach reading or watching anything about it. I can see the best tribute contest starting among journalists and I don't want to take any part in it. She's there in her books, her movies, her interviews. I don't need a journalist explaining me who he/she thinks Carrie Fisher was. Fans speaking about her, yes. Journalists, no. If I sound angry, well I am. Why? Many reasons. I won't elaborate. I am just both angry and sad.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 13:29

I wrote a little something. It's probably bad, and I'll probably delete it later. Meh.

http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/155085734132/dear-carrie-you-know-i-dont-think-i-ever
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 13:37

@Irina de France wrote:I wrote a little something. It's probably bad, and I'll probably delete it later. Meh.

http://cosette-giry.tumblr.com/post/155085734132/dear-carrie-you-know-i-dont-think-i-ever
@Irina de France

Definitely don't delete it, it's wonderful.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:08

I can't believe I am typing this but it seems her mother just had a stroke while discussing funeral plans with her son. I pray for the remaining family to keep being strong and hang in there!

Last edited by ladyconsular on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:09; edited 1 time in total

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:09

God, this year cannot end quickly enough.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:11

@ladyconsular wrote:I can't believe I am typing this but it seems her mother just had a stroke while discussing funeral plans with her son. I pray for the remaining family to keep being strong and hang in there!
@ladyconsular

It's just too awful and sad.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:26

@ladyconsular wrote:I can't believe I am typing this but it seems her mother just had a stroke while discussing funeral plans with her son. I pray for the remaining family to keep being strong and hang in there!
@ladyconsular

They say that the most heartbreaking thing that could happen is surviving your sons and daughters. I, somewhat, thought about Debbie and her reaction.
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:28

God, just when we thought it couldn't get any worse. It truly is terrible for a parent to have to bury their child. I watched my aunt do it when my cousin died of cancer at age 23 and it was just awful. Sad

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:33

How awful, their poor family. And between the two of them, besides being a close mother-daughter, is some of the most iconic and historically significant film history for the 20th century.

This made me smile, one of the comments from Peter Bradshaw's tribute.

Worked with a few unit drivers (Film drivers) who ferried her around during filming for The Force Awakens. Nobody had a bad word to say about her.
Apparently she was wonderfully eccentric and incredibly generous. If she popped in to a shop to buy some clothes she would return with an armful of designer clobber for the driver.

I was told that she would lie down in front of JJ Abrams car so that he couldn't get away without listening to her ideas at the end of a days filming. He would stroll over and lie down next to her and discuss filming.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:43

Prayers to Debbie Reynolds and her family. I cannot imagine what they must be going through right now. I hope she pulls through.

This year has had so many tragic things happen. Sad
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 14:44

Mark Hamill just tweeted this

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/814237416496119809

I'm crying all over again.

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:12

It's a shame to see people reducing Carrie to her addiction and fans 'honoring' her with pictures of Leia in the gold bikini ( thus reducing her to an outfit )
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:17

@Helix wrote:It's a shame to see people reducing Carrie to her addiction and fans 'honoring' her with pictures of Leia in the gold bikini ( thus reducing her to an outfit )
@Helix

People in my Facebook news feed have been talking about her battles with addiction (and how she beat it) in a positive way, so I don't have a problem with that at all.

However, nearly all the damn fanboys I know in my life have shared that gold bikini pic repeatedly over the last day at nauseam. *eyeroll*

IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:21

I very rarely read newspaper articles about anyone in the public eye after their death, because more often than not they rip the person to shreds, no matter who the person was or what they did.  

I recall horrible articles being written about Paul Walker after his death that simply contradicted everything else that was being said about him.  Gossip magazines and newspaper just want to sell off the back of scandal whether it is true or not, recent or not, and it's sick.

I only read the tributes to actors/actresses/musicians and other famous people in monthly publications such as film magazines etc.

It's already a terrible time for Carrie's family, and now to be dealing with Debbie Reynolds health issue as well.  My heart goes out to them all.
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:28

@IoJovi wrote:
@Helix wrote:It's a shame to see people reducing Carrie to her addiction and fans 'honoring' her with pictures of Leia in the gold bikini ( thus reducing her to an outfit )
@Helix

People in my Facebook news feed have been talking about her battles with addiction (and how she beat it) in a positive way, so I don't have a problem with that at all.

However, nearly all the damn fanboys I know in my life have shared that gold bikini pic repeatedly over the last day at nauseam. *eyeroll*
@IoJovi

To be fair, the golden bikini is iconic and memorable.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:28

@IoJovi wrote:
@Helix

@IoJovi

There's so many aspects of Leia that they could focus on rather than reducing her to that ( especially since she didn't like it?? ), but I guess fanboys will be fanboys.

Carrie overcame a lot of **** in her life and it's nice to know that some people can focus on the positives of that rather than the negatives.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:37

@IoJovi wrote:Mark Hamill just tweeted this

@IoJovi

Crying or Very sad
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:42

@IoJovi wrote:Mark Hamill just tweeted this

@IoJovi

Oh Mark Sad About to C
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 15:54

damn Debbie Reynolds had a stroke? awful!!
rey09
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyconsular on Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 17:42

It's...over... Crying or Very sad

ladyconsular
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next