Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

Post by Sacrebleu on Tue 11 Apr - 21:27

snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - It felt like a very weird missed opportunity. We'll spend all this money on a technology generating a computer version of a deceased actor to satisfy a potential plot hole and meanwhile squander the talents of this amazing (and living/breathing) actor.
@snufkin

I didn't understand it at all. Every time CGI Tarkin came on screen I was jolted out of the story. He was so obviously fake. What I got of Krennic I loved; there should have been more in my opinion.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 11 Apr - 21:43

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:@Sacrebleu - It felt like a very weird missed opportunity. We'll spend all this money on a technology generating a computer version of a deceased actor to satisfy a potential plot hole and meanwhile squander the talents of this amazing (and living/breathing) actor.
@snufkin

I didn't understand it at all.  Every time CGI Tarkin came on screen I was jolted out of the story.  He was so obviously fake.  What I got of Krennic I loved; there should have been more in my opinion.

@Sacrebleu

That's a big part of why the comments about how R1 is supposedly a better movie than TFA and the equal of ESB boggles my mind. Because of details like weird CGI Tarkin and squandering the chance to use BM's abilities to its full range. From the posters on here who read the preliminary book to R1, the bulk of the detail about Krennic other than "working class striver turned bad guy in fancy cape" was there. Which is shame, because there could've been potential for something great. Even with the original movie, they were able to build a compelling back story/history for the characters within the parameters of a 2 hour movie.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Tue 11 Apr - 22:25

snufkin wrote:That's a big part of why the comments about how R1 is supposedly a better movie than TFA and the equal of ESB boggles my mind. Because of details like weird CGI Tarkin and squandering the chance to use BM's abilities to its full range. From the posters on here who read the preliminary book to R1, the bulk of the detail about Krennic other than "working class striver turned bad guy in fancy cape" was there. Which is shame, because there could've been potential for something great. Even with the original movie, they were able to build a compelling back story/history for the characters within the parameters of a 2 hour movie.
@snufkin

Somebody I work with posted a Star Wars video on Facebook and some guy commented on it thusly:

"Rogue One is awesome, best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Way better written and played than that last garbage, emo bad guy crap! It is well written, well directed, and screen play and character development was great. It was the Star Wars i've been waiting for!"

Consider my mind boggled. WTH
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Apr - 22:59

My brother thinks the same thing! Like OMG... we just had this convo yesterday because we where talking about the new trailer dropping on Friday. And, yes he loved LOVED R1, thought it was the best since ESB. He said that TFA is a rehash. My opinion is different because I understand that TFA is sort of a rehash, but it has a rehash with a purpose that will have to be seen in retrospect and in terms of how it fits into the main saga.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 12 Apr - 0:54

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:That's a big part of why the comments about how R1 is supposedly a better movie than TFA and the equal of ESB boggles my mind. Because of details like weird CGI Tarkin and squandering the chance to use BM's abilities to its full range. From the posters on here who read the preliminary book to R1, the bulk of the detail about Krennic other than "working class striver turned bad guy in fancy cape" was there. Which is shame, because there could've been potential for something great. Even with the original movie, they were able to build a compelling back story/history for the characters within the parameters of a 2 hour movie.
@snufkin

Somebody I work with posted a Star Wars video on Facebook and some guy commented on it thusly:

"Rogue One is awesome, best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Way better written and played than that last garbage, emo bad guy crap! It is well written, well directed, and screen play and character development was great. It was the Star Wars i've been waiting for!"

@Sacrebleu

How much you wanna bet that analysis is based on the gratuitous scenes of Vaderz edgelord castle and effing s**t up scenes. Which felt as weird and as clunky as CGI Peter Cushing. Everybody has the right to their own personal favorites, but it's just funny seeing those type of comments about how R1 is supposedly the better movie and if you don't feel that way, you somehow don't understand the franchise. Or comparing it with ESB, which independent of the franchise has been ranked as one of the best films of all-time. Versus R1 which feel like it was focus grouped to death in order to please traditionalist fans.

spacebaby45678 wrote:My brother thinks the same thing! Like OMG... we just had this convo yesterday because we where talking about the new trailer dropping on Friday. And, yes he loved LOVED R1, thought it was the best since ESB. He said that TFA is a rehash. My opinion is different because I understand that TFA is sort of a rehash, but it has a rehash with a purpose that will have to be seen in retrospect and in terms of how it fits into the main saga.
@spacebaby45678

And even the original movie was a re-hash. Or a re-mix in referencing David Lean and Akira Kurosawa, right down to asking Toshiro Mifune to play Obi-Wan and when he turned it down, casting Sir Alec Guinness. Even reading Dune as a teenager after my OT obsession, it's like "oh now I can see something else that influenced Lucas."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 12 Apr - 8:20

snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

How much you wanna bet that analysis is based on the gratuitous scenes of Vaderz edgelord castle and effing s**t up scenes. Which felt as weird and as clunky as CGI Peter Cushing. Everybody has the right to their own personal favorites, but it's just funny seeing those type of comments about how R1 is supposedly the better movie and if you don't feel that way, you somehow don't understand the franchise. Or comparing it with ESB, which independent of the franchise has been ranked as one of the best films of all-time. Versus R1 which feel like it was focus grouped to death in order to please traditionalist fans.

spacebaby45678 wrote:My brother thinks the same thing! Like OMG... we just had this convo yesterday because we where talking about the new trailer dropping on Friday. And, yes he loved LOVED R1, thought it was the best since ESB. He said that TFA is a rehash. My opinion is different because I understand that TFA is sort of a rehash, but it has a rehash with a purpose that will have to be seen in retrospect and in terms of how it fits into the main saga.
@spacebaby45678

And even the original movie was a re-hash. Or a re-mix in referencing David Lean and Akira Kurosawa, right down to asking Toshiro Mifune to play Obi-Wan and when he turned it down, casting Sir Alec Guinness. Even reading Dune as a teenager after my OT obsession, it's like "oh now I can see something else that influenced Lucas."
@snufkin

Look my lil bro is no dummy, he has his degree in History, is a WW2 history buff, pretty sure he knows every battle and general strategy by heart, so all he sees is PEW PEW PEW, lol... He is also a Dune fan, and is really into Kurosawa, he is also a big EU fan, read all the Jaina & Jacen stuff growing up. So I respect his opinion.

I think most of us here have dug into TFA a lot more than even "fan fans."
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Wed 12 Apr - 8:52

snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

I did love much in Rogue One. I don't consider it or The Force Awakens to be a flawless film. I am surprised by the "emo bad guy crap" backlash against the character of Kylo. This is Han and Leia's son. Did they really expect him to be portrayed as a cackling Darth Sidious or a mute Darth Maul?

@spacebaby45678

These differences of opinion aren't necessarily related to intelligence. I saw Rogue One with my cousin, who is a professor in the sciences at an Ivy League University. He loved Rogue One and disliked The Force Awakens. He told me Tarkin was essential to the story since the Death Star was his baby and that Rogue One should have contained even MORE CGI Tarkin. I was driving at the time and almost went into the ditch. I think the fact that he was really into the EU may have affected his opinion of TFA; he was looking for those characters and those stories.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 12 Apr - 9:03

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

I did love much in Rogue One. I don't consider it or The Force Awakens to be a flawless film. I am surprised by the "emo bad guy crap" backlash against the character of Kylo. This is Han and Leia's son. Did they really expect him to be portrayed as a cackling Darth Sidious or a mute Darth Maul?

@spacebaby45678

These differences of opinion aren't necessarily related to intelligence. I saw Rogue One with my cousin, who is a professor in the sciences at an Ivy League University. He loved Rogue One and disliked The Force Awakens. He told me Tarkin was essential to the story since the Death Star was his baby and that Rogue One should have contained even MORE CGI Tarkin. I was driving at the time and almost went into the ditch. I think the fact that he was really into the EU may have affected his opinion of TFA; he was looking for those characters and those stories.
@Sacrebleu

Agreed, it is a matter of taste. That is all that I meant.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 12 Apr - 11:30

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

@spacebaby45678

@Sacrebleu

I agree with your cousin...Tarkin is critical to any death star related story....it would have been silly if people were just getting remote messages from Tarkin and he never showed his face,especially to show the first demonstration on Jedha.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 12 Apr - 17:25

Sacrebleu wrote:
snufkin wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

@snufkin

@spacebaby45678

@Sacrebleu

Oh no! I woke up this and would feel bad if anybody's take away is that I was saying their family members are dumb. I mean, I am a Sagittarius, but I try to keep from sticking my foot all the way up into my mouth. The important point really is that it comes down to taste and what you bring to the table. And I've seen a lot of analysis from film critics and other journalists who've said QED that Rey is Luke's daughter "based on the film." Like even the guy who writes Chow's Food Lab articles, which are using science based methodologies for cooking, has written his own Ray Palpetine theory, again "based on the film." So it is more a matter of taste and sometimes what you bring to the table. And I can understand the Tarkin part, but it's still to my subjective and personal taste, a huge waste of potential when you have somebody like Mendelssohn at your disposal.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Wed 12 Apr - 21:40

snufkin wrote:Oh no! I woke up this and would feel bad if anybody's take away is that I was saying their family members are dumb. I mean, I am a Sagittarius, but I try to keep from sticking my foot all the way up into my mouth. The important point really is that it comes down to taste and what you bring to the table. And I've seen a lot of analysis from film critics and other journalists who've said QED that Rey is Luke's daughter "based on the film." Like even the guy who writes Chow's Food Lab articles, which are using science based methodologies for cooking, has written his own Ray Palpetine theory, again "based on the film." So it is more a matter of taste and sometimes what you bring to the table. And I can understand the Tarkin part, but it's still to my subjective and personal taste, a huge waste of potential when you have somebody like Mendelssohn at your disposal.
@snufkin

Oh no, I didn't take away that from what you said and I don't believe you stuck your foot in your mouth!  I was responding to spacebaby's observations about her brother.  It's endlessly fascinating to me how people can come away from viewing the same thing with such totally different interpretations.  My cousin also saw absolutely no sign of attraction between Cassian and Jyn in Rogue One, which really made me go  WTH

I agree with your cousin...Tarkin is critical to any death star related story....it would have been silly if people were just getting remote messages from Tarkin and he never showed his face,especially to show the first demonstration on Jedha.

@panki

I certainly get that.  The problem for me, with the actor who played Tarkin no longer being available, is that the solution they came up with to include him in the story was an utter and total fail (again, for me personally).  I understand the need for the CGI Tarkin, but if I had my druthers his scenes would have been both fewer and shorter.  I would have preferred, perhaps, for more scenes with Vader as the go between vis a vis Tarkin and Krennic because when I saw and heard Vader on the screen I believed it was Vader.  I never for a second believed in Tarkin.  And if it doesn't seem like Tarkin to me, then Tarkin may as well not be there.
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Thu 13 Apr - 22:47

This totally puts Darth Vader and his role in Rogue One in a new light:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Tue 18 Apr - 21:00

You know i've not seen anyone complain about the mind invasion scene in Rogue One with the Bor Gullet and Bodhi.  The guy is clearly traumatised after that octupus like creature slithers all over him and shoves it's tentacles all over his face, yet no-one says a word.  I mean he can barely remember who he is for who knows how long afterwards.  But I don't see anyone kicking off at the outrage!! Rolling Eyes
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Mon 8 May - 2:49

I am reading Rebel Rising and it is pretty good. It starts from when little Jyn is hiding in the cave and then Saw comes to rescue her.
ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 8 May - 13:09

ReyofLightSide wrote:I am reading Rebel Rising and it is pretty good. It starts from when little Jyn is hiding in the cave and then Saw comes to rescue her.
@ReyofLightSide

Started Rebel Rising this morning....its a nice book and I'll probably take a few days to complete it....its also worth reading Guardians od the Whills as well to learn more about Chirrut, Baze and the force...as well as what Saw and his partisans were up to just before RO and just after SW Rebels.

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Tue 9 May - 16:55

panki wrote:
ReyofLightSide wrote:I am reading Rebel Rising and it is pretty good. It starts from when little Jyn is hiding in the cave and then Saw comes to rescue her.
@ReyofLightSide

Started Rebel Rising this morning....its a nice book and I'll probably take a few days to complete it....its also worth reading Guardians od the Whills as well to learn more about Chirrut, Baze and the force...as well as what Saw and his partisans were up to just before RO and just after SW Rebels.
@panki

I finished Rebel Rising and I liked it. It filled in the years nicely and set up why Jyn was especially wary of the Rebels.

ReyofLightSide
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 10 May - 11:59

ReyofLightSide wrote:
panki wrote:
@ReyofLightSide

@panki

I finished Rebel Rising and I liked it. It filled in the years nicely and set up why Jyn was especially wary of the Rebels.

@ReyofLightSide

I really like the book....it addresses the problems of being a young woman (esp. a pretty one) alone in the world and having to fend for herself.....the imperials and rebels come across as creepy and I do feel bad for Saw in all this, despite some of his craziness.

TBH, the more books and comics I read, the more I dislike Anakin.... in the PT he whines about being betrayed and losing loved ones but then you see the likes of Jyn (and even Baze and Chirrut in Guardians o the Whills) suffer immense hardship and lose loved ones multiple times in terrible ways and despite that try to help others, including strangers....and Jyn is even younger than he was....it makes Anakin seem even more bratty. It just feels wrong that the force favoured someone like him so much when there were good people out there who were turned into cannon fodder. Sad

panki

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Mon 15 May - 22:46

Nice write up focusing on how Darth Vader lost some of the menacing aura he once had and how Rogue One brought it back.
http://www.slashfilm.com/lets-talk-about-darth-vader-in-rogue-one/

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne on Sat 22 Jul - 9:19

guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum