AFTERMATH: EMPIRE'S END (Countdown, Speculation, Reviews, Spoilers)

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AFTERMATH: EMPIRE'S END (Countdown, Speculation, Reviews, Spoilers)

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 14 Feb - 20:15

Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea that his/Vader's mask holds a dark energy or power that's corrupting him?

It's just a big bite to chew and I'm not sure the audience would go for it or get it. I also don't want to see something like demonic possession in Star Wars.

That'd be too much.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 14 Feb - 20:25

@Xylo Ren wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea that his/Vader's mask holds a dark energy or power that's corrupting him?

It's just a big bite to chew and I'm not sure the audience would go for it or get it. I also don't want to see something like demonic possession in Star Wars.

That'd be too much.
@Xylo Ren

I don't particularly care for the idea either, in the sense that it would really remove the agency from a lot of what Ben/Kylo has done...and I just don't think that's the story we're going to get. I expect there to be actual redemption/atonement beyond being corrupted by a mask.

However, I also acknowledge that sometimes things sound bad on paper but end up being well-executed...
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Tue 14 Feb - 20:37

The mask doesn't necessarily have to excuse him. After all, we don't know when he got it. For all we know, if this was the case, he only found/created it after the Jedi Massacre. It could just amount to more of an explanation as to why he's so desperate to remain on this path.

So he could have some dark artifact influencing him, but only after he chose to go down that path. Maybe Snoke pushed it as a way to further ensure Kylo's loyalty when he still sensed doubt in him? And it would say a lot about Kylo's innate "goodness" if even after making the choice to go dark and being given an artifact that influences him, he's still doubting.

Last edited by ZioRen on Tue 14 Feb - 20:55; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 14 Feb - 20:48

@panki wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@panki wrote:Have we discussed this....

Spoiler:

1. Ben Solo (that is his name) is born on Chandrila in Hanna City. He hasn't been named after anyone specific. He was conceived under the trees of Endor.Rumors abound regarding Leia's pregnancy- some say it was hard and lasted 3 days, some say it was easy because Leia meditated.....some day Luke was there briefly, some say he was absent....Chewie wasn't there, he was on Kashyyk.....Lando brought Ben a Tooka doll.

2. Chewie's son is called Waroo.

3. Han is jealous of Leia's force connection to Ben...but when Ben cries and Han holds him, they bond and he stops crying.

4. Rax is dead. Sloane is now leading the imperial remnants with Armitage Hux to the Unknown Regions. They come across strange creatures and avoid superstorms. They lose power due to a magnetic burst of mysterious origin. Finally they reach the Eclipse (Ship) and a sentinel droid programmed by Palpatine asks permission for them to be let him- Take us in. It's time to rejoin those who came before.
@panki

spoiler:

That bit about Ben Solo being conceived on Endor directly contradicts what Leia said in Bloodline--that Ben was conceived on the Millennium Falcon while she and Han were running missions early on in their marriage...which is funny because, before Bloodline was released, it had been my headcanon that Ben had been conceived on Endor.
@ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:
I like the idea of him being conceived on Endor as well.... Smile I think the contradiction is because Leia thought he was conceived on the MF while in Aftermath Han thinks he was conceived under a canopy of trees on Endor.

There is one thing though- Han and Leia were married on Endor shortly after the battle of Endor.....so Ben must have been conceived during their honeymoon on Endor or the MF...not after the battle of Endor as I hoped Neutral
@panki

Spoiler:
It is never outright stated in Bloodline that Ben was conceived on the Millennium Falcon. I guess it could be implied but here's the passage from the book where Leia reminiscences about her son's conception...

"Leia leaned closer to the terminal so he would see the wickedness in her smile. “But won’t those three months be fun?” She was thinking of a sublight run they’d undertaken together early in their marriage, which had begun with a great deal of bickering. However, all that time alone, with no one to interrupt them, had eventually led to much more enjoyable pursuits. Given the timing, she was fairly sure those pursuits had directly led, some months later, to Ben’s birth." from "Star Wars: Bloodline" by Claudia Gray

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Tue 14 Feb - 20:49

Interesting video.

Spoiler:
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 14 Feb - 20:51

@Xylo Ren wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea that his/Vader's mask holds a dark energy or power that's corrupting him?

That'd be too much.
@Xylo Ren

Nope, count me in. I was never fond of the idea. If Kylo has been corrupted by an object - which makes me cringe a bit in SW movies too - there is no redemption to be told and I wonder what his conflicted scenes in TFA were all about. I can already hear the ones who hate the characters say "how lame, he was controlled by an object." If the spoiler about Leia feeling the light and the dark is true, I don't see why they should add an object corrupting him on top of it. He had the capacity for both light and dark and chose darkness along the way. I find this story already powerful enough and in line with what TFA showed. I really hope they don't go for a sob story to explain his actions. Please, let him keep his agenda and own up to his mistakes.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Tue 14 Feb - 20:57

For me, it's imperative that Kylo has a good reason for being the way he is. Otherwise the audience will never buy or care about his redemption. But I also agree that legitimate, full mind control/brainwashing seems the lazy way to go. I would like if he was influenced and manipulated in some way, but not so entirely that his personal choice was completely obliterated. If that was the case, it wouldn't be redemption he needed, it'd be a rescue mission.

And that's not nearly as powerful a story as a man who made terrible mistakes rediscovering himself and what is right alongside the heroine.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 14 Feb - 21:10

Another excerpt has been released... it's another Leia and Han (and baby bump Ben one) http://www.starwars.com/news/exclusive-read-an-excerpt-from-star-wars-aftermath-empires-end?cmp=smc%7C810771560

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Tue 14 Feb - 21:16

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Another excerpt has been released... it's another Leia and Han (and baby bump Ben one) http://www.starwars.com/news/exclusive-read-an-excerpt-from-star-wars-aftermath-empires-end?cmp=smc%7C810771560
@Mrs Ben Solo

Ben is both "little angel" and "little bandit".

Welp, there goes my heart!
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by teltaru on Tue 14 Feb - 21:19

Leia having bad times.
Spoiler:
Luke. She reaches for him but doesn't find him.
The dark, now lit with stars. One by one, like eyes opening. Comforting at first, then sinister as she worries, Who is out there, who is watching us? Hands reach for her, hands of shadow, lifting her up, reaching for her throat, her wrists, her stomach -
Inside, the child kicks. She feels her baby turning inside, right-side, up and down, struggling to find his bearings, trying so hard to find his way free of her. It's not time, she thinks. Just a little longer.
Leia.
Luke, she wants to cry out. But her words don't come. her mouth is sealed, a hand pressed over it. One by one, stars go dark again, winking out of existence as if by a hand slowly closing over them -
Leia!
She gasps and wakes. Han. It's just Han. he's by her side of the bed, rousing her, gently shaking her shoulder.
The dream recedes like a wave going back to sea.
Hi, she says, her mouth tacky, her eyes full of sleep. her middle twists too - it's not the baby. It's some unseen fear uncoiling. The remnants of the dream haunt her - but they break apart like a sand castle as she sits up and clears her head, doing as Luke thought her to do.
Breathe in breathe out. be mindful of the world, the galaxy, your place within it. Everything will be OK. The Force will be your guide."

teltaru
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Tue 14 Feb - 21:21

@teltaru wrote:Leia having bad times.
Spoiler:
The dark, now lit with stars. One by one, like eyes opening. Comforting at first, then sinister as she worries, Who is out there, who is watching us? Hands reach for her, hands of shadow, lifting her up, reaching for her throat, her wrists, her stomach -
Inside, the child kicks. She feels her baby turning inside, right-side, up and down, struggling to find his bearings, trying so hard to find his way free of her. It's not time, she thinks. Just a little longer.
Leia.
Luke, she wants to cry out. But her words don't come. her mouth is sealed, a hand pressed over it. One by one, stars go dark again, winking out of existence as if by a hand slowly closing over them -
Leia!
She gasps and wakes. Han. It's just Han. he's by her side of the bed, rousing her, gently shaking her shoulder.
Hi, she says, her mouth tacky, her eyes full of sleep. her middle twists too - it's not the baby. It's some unseen fear uncoiling. The remnants of the dream haunt her - but they break apart like a sand castle as she sits up and clears her head, doing as Luke thought her to do.
Breathe in breathe out. be mindful of the world, the galaxy, your place within it. Everything will be OK. The Force will be your guide."
@teltaru

Omg what are they doing to us

What kind of story are we in for
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Tue 14 Feb - 22:44

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Another excerpt has been released... it's another Leia and Han (and baby bump Ben one) http://www.starwars.com/news/exclusive-read-an-excerpt-from-star-wars-aftermath-empires-end?cmp=smc%7C810771560
@Mrs Ben Solo

Awww and this line
spoiler:
“If I think I can help, I’ll always help. With whatever you or our son needs. You know that, right?” And that is what Han ultimately did in TFA Sad
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 15 Feb - 0:23

@teltaru wrote:Leia having bad times.
Spoiler:
Leia.
Leia!
@teltaru

They won't need the mask.  The above is how they are going to do it. Basically
Spoiler:
a war over Ben's soul starting before he is even born
.  If anyone is going to be corrupted by an object I think it will be Luke.  Also, if there are corrupting items, they won't be the sole thing responsible for a fall or a dark turn.  They'll just be another little bit of weight piled on, just one of many factors.  Like Adam said, this thing is going to be nuanced and ambiguous.  They want us all to have various arguing points to build are cases until 2019.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Wed 15 Feb - 0:34

Not sure if this has been posted yet but it's another example of what's above

Spoiler:
"he is less a human shaped thing and more a pulsing, living band of light. Light that sometimes dims, that sometimes is thrust with a vein of darkness. She tells herself that it's normal - Luke said to her, Leia, we all have that. He explained that the brighter the light, the darker the shadow.
Right now, her son is upset, tumbling inside her as if he can't get comfortable. His light, flickering with dark. She centers herself and concentrates. The walls of the room fall away. Everything is white and then it's black. Then she's in the clam, airless void. As Leia finds her peace, so does her son. he stops turning...
The he gets the hiccups.
Hic.Hic.Hic.
She sighs and it brings her out of it. But she laughs, too. Because the hiccups tickle her. They are like bubbles inside - a curious effervescence like nothing Leia ever felt before.
My son is alive. The future is bright.
The baby turns inside her again, troubled by something she cannot feel and cannot yet understand."

Basically like what many of us and JJ have been saying
Spoiler:
Snoke was targeting Ben from the very beginning. I predict this is going to have even the 'he killed my childhood hero!' crowd considering redemption.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Wed 15 Feb - 0:37

@BastilaBey wrote:Not sure if this has been posted yet but it's another example of what's above

Spoiler:
"he is less a human shaped thing and more a pulsing, living band of light. Light that sometimes dims, that sometimes is thrust with a vein of darkness. She tells herself that it's normal - Luke said to her, Leia, we all have that. He explained that the brighter the light, the darker the shadow.
Right now, her son is upset, tumbling inside her as if he can't get comfortable. His light, flickering with dark. She centers herself and concentrates. The walls of the room fall away. Everything is white and then it's black. Then she's in the clam, airless void. As Leia finds her peace, so does her son. he stops turning...
The he gets the hiccups.
Hic.Hic.Hic.
She sighs and it brings her out of it. But she laughs, too. Because the hiccups tickle her. They are like bubbles inside - a curious effervescence like nothing Leia ever felt before.
The baby turns inside her again, troubled by something she cannot feel and cannot yet understand."

Spoiler:
Snoke was targeting Ben from the very beginning. I predict this is going to have even the 'he killed my childhood hero!' crowd considering redemption.
@BastilaBey

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Spoiler:
That is horrifying! Is this alluding to what JJ said? That he was a targeted by Snoke from a very early age? Is LF still going down that route somewhat?

Edit: I only saw the first spoiler when I posted this. :p
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 15 Feb - 0:48

That's some serious
Spoiler:
Rosemary's Baby type s***
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Wed 15 Feb - 0:50

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:Not sure if this has been posted yet but it's another example of what's above

Spoiler:
The he gets the hiccups.
Hic.Hic.Hic.

Spoiler:
@BastilaBey

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Spoiler:
That is horrifying! Is this alluding to what JJ said? That he was a targeted by Snoke from a very early age? Is LF still going down that route somewhat?

@AppleCrumble122

Spoiler:
I think what makes it even worse is that he's actually targeting him while he's in the womb.It's awful to think that Ben wasn't even protected from that predator even while he still wasn't even born,it's just horrifying.
This also forshaodws Han being both a dissapointing father and someone who willingly sacrafises hismelf to save his son.I mean that dalogue from Leia's POV about Han ebing bored and wanting to do soemthing because he has no interest in the Rebellion while Leia wanting to be a saviour and still being obsessed with this idea of Rebellion eventhough the New Republic has been formed.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Wed 15 Feb - 0:54

Basically, this all just confirms that Ben has been in pain and struggling with the dark side his WHOLE life.

#SaveBenSolo
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 15 Feb - 1:01

@AppleCrumble122 wrote:

Spoiler:
The he gets the hiccups.
Hic.Hic.Hic.

Spoiler:
@BastilaBey

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Spoiler:

@AppleCrumble122

Spoiler:
I can't see how they could not go that route now.  I have always been a big believer in the Snoke as predator/the dark tormenting Ben very early, but I never thought it would be this explicit.  He's actually being messed with in the womb.  Like @CienaRee says, there is not a place where he can hide ... ever.  He was *never* completely protected at any point in his existence.  Talk about not having a chance.  Talk about being strong in the light to last for 23 years. Wow.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Wed 15 Feb - 1:01

@Mana wrote:Basically, this all just confirms that Ben has been in pain and struggling with the dark side his WHOLE life.

#SaveBenSolo
@Mana

I just feel so sorry for him.So much of his life watsed either trying to fight the Dark or the Light side of the Force.Even Anakin had more happiness in his life. Sad
Snoke's basically detsroyed his life and now even if he redeems himself he could never have any closure with his parents or not be haunted by everything that's happened to him. No

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Wed 15 Feb - 1:04

Wow they really are going with "affected since in the womb". I honestly though they were going to drop most of the childhood influences on Ben Solo, but it seems not. Unless this is just the author's interpretation and won't be explored in the movies.

Gosh, I can't even imagine. Having this power and this insistent darkness around you and nobody to understand it. Not even your mother or Uncle Luke who's supposed to know all about these things. Oh man, did Ben even register that this wasn't normal? How do you understand that you're not supposed to feel a certain way or hear certain things when you have literally always felt and heard them?

Yikes.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleCrumble122 on Wed 15 Feb - 1:07

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@AppleCrumble122 wrote:

Spoiler:
The he gets the hiccups.
Hic.Hic.Hic.

Spoiler:
@BastilaBey

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Spoiler:

@AppleCrumble122

Spoiler:
I can't see how they could not go that route now.  I have always been a big believer in the Snoke as predator/the dark tormenting Ben very early, but I never thought it would be this explicit.  He's actually being messed with in the womb.  Like @CienaRee says, there is not a place where he can hide ... ever.  He was *never* completely protected at any point in his existence.  Talk about not having a chance.  Talk about being strong in the light to last for 23 years. Wow.
@SoloSideCousin

Spoiler:
I had a feeling they had dropped some of JJ's original backstory when they changed directors due to TFA hinting that Ben turned as a teenager, yet Bloodlines stated he turned at 23. Regardless, I'm still cringing! I can't handle it in stories when babies and young children are threatened! It just upsets me! About to C
AppleCrumble122
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 15 Feb - 1:29

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

Spoiler:
Please don't tell me I just read an excerpt of unborn Ben being jabbed at with darkness by Snoke while he's still in the womb. OMFG. I was thinking we'd maybe see some creeping from the shadows, but this is something else altogether... I like it.

I was also concerned that they might have dropped certain aspects of Ben's backstory, but it's looking like that isn't the case. Confirmed by the old script from the novelization, JJ and now this canon book. It seems as though certain assumptions were made based on TFA that ended up being a little different. If there were changes they were small, clearly. Very curious to see where this goes. Smile
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Wed 15 Feb - 1:46

Spoiler:
The he gets the hiccups.
Hic.Hic.Hic.

Spoiler:
@BastilaBey

Spoiler:
I've always been 99% certain Ben was a target from the very beginning because of his bloodline and potential in the Force. This scenario doesn't surprise me in the least as I've never doubted the importance of Ben's childhood in the story of his fall. It's a further confirmation of everything JJ and Adam have shared about the character. Ben likely felt isolated, perhaps misunderstood and lacking true emotional support even though his parents adored him. It's such a tragic situation. So much love and yet so much suffering. I expect we'll see a lot more of his backstory in TLJ, possibly flashbacks of his younger self through Rey's eyes. How could you deny redemption to a character that has been through so much pain already?
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Wed 15 Feb - 1:56

If this is true, then once again Pablo's tweets are a real headscratcher. How do you know that this is a character's backstory and still act like he's not all that sympathetic or compare his situation to Rey and Finn's?
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum