ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 9

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 9

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:35 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:How can anyone read Reywalker into that poster? If anything, it points to Rey Solo - or Rey soon-to-be-Solo, which amounts to the same. Razz

Weapons exactly parallel again. Three generations of couples. Mmmm I like it.

One thing that I immediately noticed was that the PT trio and OT trio are clearly presented as trios, but in the ST, that structure breaks down.

I was also surprised that Hux and especially Phasma are shown so prominently, but to me the composition suggests a Finn and Poe vs. Hux and Phasma scenario, as expected.

It also looks like Kylo and Han are facing the same enemy together.
@Darth Dingbat

To add my lil' observation:

The lack of main evil anatgonists: Palpatine and Snoke.
@Darth_Awakened

Right! How can the Emperor not be there? He's a presence in six movies, and if the new books are any indication, he will not be forgotten soon ... Or are we supposed to sympathize to some extent with everyone on the poster to some extent?
Empire's End Spoiler:
With the insane amount of abuse and manipulation and victimization present in Empire's End ... are we supposed to think all of these people are somehow victims of a much larger grand plan? Even Hux is getting a few sympathy points for goodness sake, though he's going bad fast.
There's no Snoke, no Tarkin, no Jabba ... and a lot of people like those characters, especially the latter two ... wouldn't they be part of the history as well? Very interesting.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:53 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:How can anyone read Reywalker into that poster? If anything, it points to Rey Solo - or Rey soon-to-be-Solo, which amounts to the same. Razz

One thing that I immediately noticed was that the PT trio and OT trio are clearly presented as trios, but in the ST, that structure breaks down.

I was also surprised that Hux and especially Phasma are shown so prominently, but to me the composition suggests a Finn and Poe vs. Hux and Phasma scenario, as expected.

@Darth Dingbat

@Darth_Awakened

Right! How can the Emperor not be there? He's a presence in six movies, and if the new books are any indication, he will not be forgotten soon ... Or are we supposed to sympathize to some extent with everyone on the poster to some extent?
Empire's End Spoiler:
With the insane amount of abuse and manipulation and victimization present in Empire's End ... are we supposed to think all of these people are somehow victims of a much larger grand plan? Even Hux is getting a few sympathy points for goodness sake, though he's going bad fast.
There's no Snoke, no Tarkin, no Jabba ... and a lot of people like those characters, especially the latter two ... wouldn't they be part of the history as well? Very interesting.
@SoloSideCousin

Actually I think that the emphasis on the poster is The Skywalker saga, not the whole SW universe.

They obviously wanted to make some balanace on that poster as well (Though I'am not an expert for that kind of art - however I'am still able to catch the glimpse of messages I think they're trying to send with it.
The Balance is one of them - that's why I think Hux and Phasma found their place on the poster - only to mirror Finn & Poe on the right.

(I'll definitely think that Jabba, Tarkin or if you want Qui-Gon most of them - bring more weight to saga, than Hux and Phasma.)

Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:57 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:

@Darth Dingbat

@Darth_Awakened

Empire's End Spoiler:
@SoloSideCousin

Actually I think that the emphasis on the poster is The Skywalker saga, not the whole SW universe.

They obviously wanted to make some balanace on that poster as well (Though I'am not an expert for that kind of art - however I'am still able to catch the glimpse of messages I think they're trying to send with it.
The Balance is one of them - that's why I think Hux and Phasma found their place on the poster - only to mirror Finn & Poe on the right.

(I'll definitely think that Jabba, Tarkin or if you want Qui-Gon most of them - bring more weight to saga, than Hux and Phasma.)

@Darth_Awakened

Right.  And they still will want to market all of their *current* players, commemorative poster or not.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 7:26 am

The Celebration poster is interesting, very soap opera-ish and it is good to see Hayden Christensen back on promotional posters, he is beautiful. I like that Kylo is underneath Han and their attack stance is so similar it says something about Kylo's shoot first think later personality, he is Han's boy. For me I see Rey very much in the same position as Obi, both in position beneath a pair of Skywalkers. Rey ends TFA very similar to the way Obi ended ANH, helping Leia, being a hope and delivering Anakin's Saber to Luke. And, cleverly the space romances are also parallel. Well played LF, well played.

As far as what Saber Kylo was holding in the pre TFA trailer, for this I default to the fan boys, if there are things they know it is  "pew pew pew", space ships and sabers. Pretty much many of them thought it was Luke's ROTJ green saber and we now know that Luke still has that Saber, and it's near twin is Obi's saber. So.

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 9:32 am

@spacebaby45678 wrote:The Celebration poster is interesting, very soap opera-ish and it is good to see Hayden Christensen back on promotional posters, he is beautiful. I like that Kylo is underneath Han and their attack stance is so similar it says something about Kylo's shoot first think later personality, he is Han's boy. For me I see Rey very much in the same position as Obi, both in position beneath a pair of Skywalkers. Rey ends TFA very similar to the way Obi ended ANH, helping Leia, being a hope and delivering Anakin's Saber to Luke. And, cleverly the space romances are also parallel. Well played LF, well played.

As far as what Saber Kylo was holding in the pre TFA trailer, for this I default to the fan boys, if there are things they now it is  "pew pew pew", space ships and sabers. Pretty much many of them thought it was Luke's ROTJ green saber and we now know that Luke still has that Saber, and it's near twin is Obi's saber. So.
@spacebaby45678

It would look like rey is the descendant of the skywalker line had they not cut it off with obi wan. He disrupts that visual line on the right.
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 9:38 am

Also notice kylo cutting off his ties with hux and phasma
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 12:38 pm

@Saracene wrote:TFA is a very very flawed film and I think that much of its criticism is completely justified. Its biggest strength is the cast and the strong, charismatic performances JJ got out of his actors. I can safely say though that if it wasn't for Kylo's character I'd probably forget about the movie a long time ago.
@Saracene

There are a couple of plot holes; 40 by this old articles count:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8850324

But TFA is a great film in spite of them. I am more caught up in all the awesome scenes; wonderful performances and analyzing it's themes to really notice the mistakes, both major and minor.

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 2:23 pm

@Darth Dementor wrote:
@Saracene wrote:TFA is a very very flawed film and I think that much of its criticism is completely justified. Its biggest strength is the cast and the strong, charismatic performances JJ got out of his actors. I can safely say though that if it wasn't for Kylo's character I'd probably forget about the movie a long time ago.
@Saracene

But TFA is a great film in spite of them. I am more caught up in all the awesome scenes; wonderful performances and analyzing it's themes to really notice the mistakes, both major and minor.
@Darth Dementor

Many points on that list really aren't plot holes, they're more a consequence of JJ's mystery box style and Kasdan's 'less is more' attitude on exposition. For example, why does Kylo take his mask off in front of Rey? Why does he lose to her, and struggle against Finn? How does Rey seem so powerful after no training? These are all explained if you understand from the movie that Kylo is weakened after killing his father and feels compassion for Rey, but that has clearly not been a widespread reading.
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 3:00 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:
@Saracene

@Darth Dementor

Many points on that list really aren't plot holes, they're more a consequence of JJ's mystery box style and Kasdan's 'less is more' attitude on exposition. For example, why does Kylo take his mask off in front of Rey? Why does he lose to her, and struggle against Finn? How does Rey seem so powerful after no training? These are all explained if you understand from the movie that Kylo is weakened after killing his father and feels compassion for Rey, but that has clearly not been a widespread reading.
@BastilaBey

Agreed 100%. Maybe it's just because "Reylo" was more obvious to me than to others, but I didn't see Kylo unmasking for Rey first as a detraction to the story. Honestly that's one my most hated fanboy complaints (He should have only unmasked for Han!!! Ugh...). Same with the Mary Sue complaint. I have even seen that discussed at length here. If you look at it from the Reylo perspective, it explains everything. Not only was he injured, he basically let her win. Look at his face after it's been slashed by her. He looks more turned on than angry...
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 3:04 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:
@Saracene

@Darth Dementor

@BastilaBey

Agreed 100%. Maybe it's just because "Reylo" was more obvious to me than to others, but I didn't see Kylo unmasking for Rey first as a detraction to the story. Honestly that's one my most hated fanboy complaints (He should have only unmasked for Han!!! Ugh...). Same with the Mary Sue complaint. I have even seen that discussed at length here. If you look at it from the Reylo perspective, it explains everything. Not only was he injured, he basically let her win. Look at his face after it's been slashed by her. He looks more turned on than angry...
@IoJovi

Yes! That's one thing I will never understand, why his last response doesn't get more attention from the general audience, because it's not an "I'll get you, Gadget" or even a "You better run NOW because you won't have a piece left by the time I'm through you" look. He doesn't even look angry. He looks awed. Even if we didn't have the Intimate Cam during the interrogation scene, Kylo's elevator eyes and innuendos, or the fact that he offered to train her instead of kill her, that shot of him lying in the snow staring at her pretty much sold me on the fact that they're going to be a thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 3:18 pm

I'm starting to wonder if Kylo doesn't like being seen without his mask on because he fears someone might recognize him.

I think the First Order (and most of the galaxy) doesn't know that Ben Solo = Kylo Ren. I mean, Poe in his interrogation doesn’t seem like he is aware of that. He could have taunted Kylo about it in the interrogation scene (especially that we know Poe is a Leia fanboy, so I could see him going along variations of “STOP MAKING YO’ MOMMA CRY AND BRING YO SORRY *SS BACK HOME”), but he doesn’t.

So if Kylo = Ben seems to be a big secret, that might be *one* explanation for the mask (among others).

BUT he did unmask for Rey, and that might not be just to peacock around her, it might also be a sign that he trusts her with his secrets, and that’s HUGE, considering it’s a given he wouldn’t give that level of trust to just anyone, and the fact that he despises liars and traitors brings that to a whole other level.

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 3:55 pm

It always pisses me off when people complain about the unmasking. He does it in front of Rey because he feels she's different from the rest. He is interested in her, and he doesn't want her to be afraid. He already feels the strange connection between them (and Rey probably feels it too, since she saw him in the Forceback repeatedly.)
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 4:29 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:
@Darth Dementor wrote:
@Saracene

@Darth Dementor

@BastilaBey

Or just the usual complaints of self-proclaimed experts in everything discussing down to the bolt that's not even shown on-screen but totally unable to read actors' performances. I see the first one and I am already out. I did not make it to 40 because seriously the author needs to learn how to watch movies.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 4:50 pm

@Irina de France wrote:I'm starting to wonder if Kylo doesn't like being seen without his mask on because he fears someone might recognize him.

I think the First Order (and most of the galaxy) doesn't know that Ben Solo = Kylo Ren. I mean, Poe in his interrogation doesn’t seem like he is aware of that. He could have taunted Kylo about it in the interrogation scene (especially that we know Poe is a Leia fanboy, so I could see him going along variations of “STOP MAKING YO’ MOMMA CRY AND BRING YO SORRY *SS BACK HOME”), but he doesn’t.

So if Kylo = Ben seems to be a big secret, that might be *one* explanation for the mask (among others).

BUT he did unmask for Rey, and that might not be just to peacock around her, it might also be a sign that he trusts her with his secrets, and that’s HUGE, considering it’s a given he wouldn’t give that level of trust to just anyone, and the fact that he despises liars and traitors brings that to a whole other level.
@Irina de France

Your post reminded me of this:
SkyStar

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:14 pm

@SkyStar wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:I'm starting to wonder if Kylo doesn't like being seen without his mask on because he fears someone might recognize him.

@Irina de France

Your post reminded me of this:
@SkyStar

It could even explain (explain, not justify Razz ) why he killed Lor San Tekka. It could be because he was afraid LST would tell everyone his true identity.

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:34 pm

I can understand unmasking complaints to a degree, because, while Rey is going to be his most important relationship in the series overall, Kylo only just met her in TFA and their dynamic has only just been set up. So, seen within TFA as an individual film, Han is a far more meaningful relationship so it feels right to many people that Kylo should have unmasked for him. I think that once the other movies are out and the importance of Rey/Kylo is made really obvious, the unmasking will be reassessed.

As for people not seeing Kylo's compassion for Rey, well in the film he doesn't really show any (he shows interest, yes, but compassion is not the same as interest). I know that many wish that Snoke's mention of compassion was in the film, but in the book it makes sense because, if memory serves me right, Kylo releases Rey from her bonds and gives her assurances during the interrogation scene. None of this happens in the film.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:49 pm

@Xylo Ren wrote:Official 40th Anniversary poster for Celebration, posted today.

I love how Rey and Kylo are the only ones with lightsabers. #forceusercouple #cuttingourweddingcake

@Xylo Ren

My observation of the poster is:

Obi-wan is in between Anakin and Padme - he didn't approve of their relationship
Luke is in between Han and Leia - which he was for a large amount of the OT
Luke is in between Kylo and Rey - is he going to stand in their way??? Wink
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 5:53 pm

I understand the criticism, but at the same time there's no way to respond to it when you think about it. They way they present this Kylo/Ben (cruelty/vulnerability) dichotomy in TFA, it wouldn't really fit to leave the unmasking for the bridge scene, which is near the end of the film. And I just can't imagine Kylo keeping the mask on with Rey throughout, it was a very deliberate contrast with Poe and served an important purpose. Kylo doesn't show his real face to everyone, he was even reluctant to do so in front of his own father. The fact that it is a conscious choice with Rey is very telling and one of the key signs that the two will be important to each other in the future and will establish an emotional connection. I agree what we saw can't be described as compassion and we shouldn't pretend it is. Ever since their first meeting in the forest Kylo showed a peculiar interest in Rey, he wanted to have her on his side because of her enormous raw power. Yet I also think there's more to it, it may not be compassion, but they did connect when they explored each others'minds. None of the other characters share this type of connection. Kylo and Rey, whether they like it or not, understand each other better than anyone else ever could because they're both special and have suffered a great deal.

Ideally (for some people), if Kylo and Rey were meant to be portrayed as nothing more than enemies without a hint of romantic undertones, he should've kept the mask on and displayed a similar, even if toned down, behavour as he did with Poe. Kylo should've attacked Rey with all his anger the moment he saw the saber in her hand and tried to finish her off instead of waiting and staring at his opponent, allowing her to gain the upper hand. However, as we know, none of this happened because it's not what their dynamic is supposed to be like. There are just way too many deliberate choices, which point in a different direction.
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hasi on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:06 pm

^Mte, the point is not "why does Kylo unmasks himself for Rey?" (even if I think the answer it's pretty obvious), but that he does it immediately and without hesitation after her remark, while he couldn't care less about Poe's comment and was uncomfortable when Hux saw him. The only other person he unmasks himself for is his father so the movie wanted you to notice that he acts very differently around Rey and that he cares about her opinion. And to me the way it was filmed also says a lot about their future relationship.

@Irina de France wrote:
It could even explain (explain, not justify Razz ) why he killed Lor San Tekka. It could be because he was afraid LST would tell everyone his true identity.
@Irina de France

Him killing Lor San Tekka makes sense after learning Kylo's current and past relationship with his family, I always thought that the main reason why he killed him is that San Tekka definetely hit a veeeeery raw nerve. Later in the movie we learn that Kylo is torn apart and trying to shun the light away, and here comes someone that reminds him that his belonging is not with the dark side and mentioning his family. That was him being in denial and not wanting to hear the truth (and showing him killing someone while you still don't know his story or who is parents are make it seem like he's your traditional bad*** evil guy who stabs everyone). He tries to do the same with Han, but in the end it proves to be his first steps in the right direction.
Hasi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:53 pm

Oh, I definitely agree about the compassion thing. In the movie, he doesn't show it at all.

But I really don't get the "unmasking" complaints. It was obvious for me in my first viewing that he did it because Rey would be special to him in the story. It was a plot device, and a necessary one. Up until that point, Kylo was stoic, reserved and completely put together (except for his tantrum when Mitaka mentioned 'the girl'). His unmasking was at the perfect moment to make his duality explicit.

People just complain about it because they wanted him to be Darth Vader 2.0 and wear that mask up until the end.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 10:46 pm

I thought Kylo showed some compassion here:

It's subtle and kinda ambiguous but he seems to care. Also I think he removed his mask because he sensed that she was afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 11:23 pm

WhatGirl wrote:I thought Kylo showed some compassion here:

It's subtle and kinda ambiguous but he seems to care. Also I think he removed his mask because he sensed that she was afraid.
@WhatGirl

I watched that scene recently with headphones, and right before the "Don't be afraid, I feel it too", you hear sort of a "ka-thunk" noise that's distinct from the other Force noises going on in the scene.

It got me wondering if that was their "Force connection" forming, and if the "Don't be afraid, I feel it too" was in reference to them feeling that connection forming...
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:13 am

@iseeanisland

I rewatched TFA recently and I think I know which sound you mean! That's definitely possible, I mean it's confirmed that they do have some kind of a connection so it may very well have formed during the interrogation.

And there's this:
The story possibilities are interesting if it was to turn out that Rey and Kylo have no blood connection. It has been suggested to me that the interrogation sequence between Kylo and Rey has ramifications for the  sequel. The possibilities…
MakingStarWars June 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:25 am

@Rogue Rey wrote:
@Xylo Ren wrote:Official 40th Anniversary poster for Celebration, posted today.

I love how Rey and Kylo are the only ones with lightsabers. #forceusercouple #cuttingourweddingcake

@Xylo Ren

My observation of the poster is:

Obi-wan is in between Anakin and Padme - he didn't approve of their relationship
Luke is in between Han and Leia - which he was for a large amount of the OT
Luke is in between Kylo and Rey - is he going to stand in their way??? Wink
@Rogue Rey

How can you omit trifecta of C3PO, R2D2 and BB-8. Rolling Eyes

Also look at positioning of Finn's and Poe's heads looking at the same direction.

Kylo's lightsaber and Rey's lightsaber how they're placed basically like a two side of the coin.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum