Rey's Lineage Discussion II

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 31 Jan - 13:48

@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Actually, the heroine's name in the Lucas version was Thea. This according to both Pablo and the concept art book. (One of the reasons why people assume she was a Solo: Leia => Thea, it rhymes (literally) Razz )

One possibility we should consider is that the name Kira may have come before its associations. At first, it might have been just a cool name used in the post-Lucas development; and let's not forget that KK's right hand woman is called Kiri...

Kira was the name they used in the post-Lucas brainstorming era, so what if the name came first, and then, during brainstorming, came everything associated with the name? The double meaning of ruler/light, the Egyptian mythology, and so on. Even the EU associations. Perhaps this is how they came up with the royal angle (assuming Rey is royalty). Perhaps someone mentioned that the name Kira has already been used in the EU and was actually the name of a royal house (the family, not a palace) that was of an ancient Dark Side lineage. Maybe someone was intrigued and ran with that idea. Who can tell?
@Darth Dingbat

I mentioned the Onderon connection a few posts back....I thought it was the name of the palace...but yes, it could refer to a royal lineage and make EU fans happy that something else is canon.
@panki

Oh yes, I spotted that - I'm sorry, my brain is a bit scattered at the moment... Shocked

I actually don't think they'd bring the House of Kira back to canon - or I don't know. It's weird. If they took any inspiration from EU materials, it would be easier just to rewrite the whole thing and come up with an entirely new story with an entirely new planet and new characters. But there's no denying that Dubrovnik has a lot of similarities with Onderon. But then, so did Jedha and it turned out to have nothing to do with Onderon... whether it has anything to do with Dubrovnik remains to be seen.

But I can't wait to find out what Dubrovnik is actually called Razz
@Darth Dingbat

If its an outer rim planet, I hope its Onderon....if its core, then I hope its Lettow....I just hope its an old place with lots of history Very Happy
@panki

Yep, old place with lots of history would be grand. Empress Teta is also on my wishlist Very Happy

Or maybe it's some random new planet with an ancient history. Like... Böbelströbel (okay, this is why I'm not in charge of naming the planets)

It's funny though, I was reading the old Atlas the other day (the one by Daniel Wallace and Jason Fry) and realised that the core planets used to be the ones with the most ancient civilisations. But they've kind of subverted that with Jedha now. And Ahch-To, though we don't actually know where Ahch-To is (do we?).
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 31 Jan - 13:50

Btw, that Atlas also mentioned that Palpatine had some mysterious connection to Hapes Consortium, and there were rumours that he was in love with a Hapan woman Razz
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Tue 31 Jan - 13:59

PH has signalled that they're possibly not done with Count Dooku (in as much as he used the same wording people take as confirmation Obi-Wan Kenobi will play into future events) https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/826239330943328256

I've said numerous times, I have no problem with Rey being a Kenobi as Obi-Wan has long been a favourite of mine, but I must admit I'm very intrigued by a link between Rey and Count Dooku. Christopher Lee didn't really get his due in the PT but Dooku was a big part of TCW.
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 31 Jan - 14:00

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:Actually, the heroine's name in the Lucas version was Thea. This according to both Pablo and the concept art book. (One of the reasons why people assume she was a Solo: Leia => Thea, it rhymes (literally) Razz )

One possibility we should consider is that the name Kira may have come before its associations. At first, it might have been just a cool name used in the post-Lucas development; and let's not forget that KK's right hand woman is called Kiri...

Kira was the name they used in the post-Lucas brainstorming era, so what if the name came first, and then, during brainstorming, came everything associated with the name? The double meaning of ruler/light, the Egyptian mythology, and so on. Even the EU associations. Perhaps this is how they came up with the royal angle (assuming Rey is royalty). Perhaps someone mentioned that the name Kira has already been used in the EU and was actually the name of a royal house (the family, not a palace) that was of an ancient Dark Side lineage. Maybe someone was intrigued and ran with that idea. Who can tell?
@Darth Dingbat

I mentioned the Onderon connection a few posts back....I thought it was the name of the palace...but yes, it could refer to a royal lineage and make EU fans happy that something else is canon.
@panki

Oh yes, I spotted that - I'm sorry, my brain is a bit scattered at the moment... Shocked

I actually don't think they'd bring the House of Kira back to canon - or I don't know. It's weird. If they took any inspiration from EU materials, it would be easier just to rewrite the whole thing and come up with an entirely new story with an entirely new planet and new characters. But there's no denying that Dubrovnik has a lot of similarities with Onderon. But then, so did Jedha and it turned out to have nothing to do with Onderon... whether it has anything to do with Dubrovnik remains to be seen.

But I can't wait to find out what Dubrovnik is actually called Razz
@Darth Dingbat

If its an outer rim planet, I hope its Onderon....if its core, then I hope its Lettow....I just hope its an old place with lots of history Very Happy
@panki

Yep, old place with lots of history would be grand. Empress Teta is also on my wishlist Very Happy

Or maybe it's some random new planet with an ancient history. Like... Böbelströbel (okay, this is why I'm not in charge of naming the planets)

It's funny though, I was reading the old Atlas the other day (the one by Daniel Wallace and Jason Fry) and realised that the core planets used to be the ones with the most ancient civilisations. But they've kind of subverted that with Jedha now. And Ahch-To, though we don't actually know where Ahch-To is (do we?).
@Darth Dingbat

Lol.... Böbelströbel....nice catchy name....I can see the title of a novel already- Trouble in Böbelströbel Razz

That is an interesting observation...in the EU, the earliest battles seem to be on Coruscant and the core.... and now it is the other way around.....even Palpatine tells Tarkin in the novel Tarkin that all of them (Palpatine, Tarkin etc) are from Outer Rim planets.... the only thing that sort of goes against this is the "Wellspring of Life", the force planet occupied by the Force Priestesses.... thats in the core so not sure where and how it fits.

I would love Ach-to to be a canon version of Tython...but I now wonder whether Ruusaan is the inspiration for it..... then it would be important for both jedi and sith....and contain a powerful nexus/vergence as well....what do you think?

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Btw, that Atlas also mentioned that Palpatine had some mysterious connection to Hapes Consortium, and there were rumours that he was in love with a Hapan woman Razz
@Darth Dingbat

That would be interesting especially since Hapes Consortium is canon.... Smile
I have this headcanon of Palps romancing Talzin in their younger days and she dumped him because she wanted power....one day, I might draw a picture of them for fun. Razz

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Tue 31 Jan - 14:34

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Gemini wrote:Lmao Thea literally means "goddess of light" and Olympian god royalty.
@Gemini

Actually the word Theia/Thea means just goddess, or (feminine) divine. But you're right, the mythological figure named Theia does have associations with light as she's supposed to be the mother of the sun and moon.
@Darth Dingbat

Thea is the Greek goddess of light, I studied Greek mythology at college and am partly  Greek, she was known by other names too meaning bright etc.

Thea was another spelling of theia

My Nan (Greek Cypriot) calls her Thea.
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Tue 31 Jan - 17:56

@motherofpearl1 wrote:I don't care who Rey's descended from
As long as she isn't Kylo's relation! Very Happy
@motherofpearl1

Pretty much this.

The discussion of her lineage really got out of hand to the point that it's the ONLY THING that matters about her character (at least on the internet). It's tiresome, and I just want them to get rid of it in the next movie.

Last edited by Piper Maru on Tue 31 Jan - 18:03; edited 1 time in total
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 31 Jan - 18:07

@Piper Maru wrote:
@motherofpearl1

Pretty much this.

The discussion of her lineage really got out of hand to the point that it's the ONLY THING that matters about her character (at least on the internet). It's really tiresome, and I just want them to get rid of it in the next movie.
@Piper Maru

GA doesn't care and Internet is agenda-driven place so War of Parentage is really War of Agendas that many times have nothing to do with the parentage itself. Like this new breed of Rey Solos who think that losing his little sister is the only thing that could make Kylo sympathetic, so they want Rey Solo only because they really want Kylo redemption and don't see any other way. So they are basically Kylo Redemptionists first and Soloists second (cause it props his redemption). They have now replaced Han and Leia Protectionists (aka "give them a nice kid" crowd) as the leading Soloists. Or all those Rey Reylated pushers who really just want to block Reylo. LOL. Finnrey's not gonna happen Reylated or not, and same goes for Damerey, so why are those shippers wasting their energy on a theory that they don't even care about?

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 31 Jan - 18:13

@Piper Maru wrote:
@motherofpearl1

Pretty much this.

The discussion of her lineage really got out of hand to the point that it's the ONLY THING that matters about her character (at least on the internet). It's tiresome, and I just want them to get rid of it in the next movie.
@Piper Maru

I'm right there with you guys. While I see Kenobi as a very likely outcome, I'm not married to it, and I'm open to ALL options as long as she's not a blood relative of Kylo. The latter has been debunked so many times I'm 120% certain we have nothing to worry about...

And if she's not related by blood, while Kathleen Kennedy makes repeated statements that Star Wars will always be about the Skywalkers, then that narrows it down to ONLY ONE specific outcome. We'll all be drinking champagne come December of this year...

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Tue 31 Jan - 18:19

@IoJovi wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@motherofpearl1

Pretty much this.

@Piper Maru

I'm right there with you guys.  While I see Kenobi as a very likely outcome, I'm not married to it, and I'm open to ALL options as long as she's not a blood relative of Kylo.  The latter has been debunked so many times I'm 120% certain we have nothing to worry about...  

And if she's not related by blood, while Kathleen Kennedy makes repeated statements that Star Wars will always be about the Skywalkers, then that narrows it down to ONLY ONE specific outcome.  We'll all be drinking champagne come December of this year...  
@IoJovi

I think some fanboys forget that TFA was a Skywalker HEAVY.

- Luke (1st Skywalker) vanished.
- Leia (2nd Skywalker) kicks the plot by wanting Luke (1st Skywalker) back.
- Kylo Ren (3rd Skywalker) wants to find Luke (1st Skywalker) for personal reasons.
- Leia (2nd Skywalker), mother of Kylo Ren (3rd Skywalker) wants her son back.

Literally every conflict in the story is related to the Skywalkers. There's zero need for Rey to be related to them "just because she is the protagonist". If she is, they really dropped the ball, because "the Skywalker who cleans all the other Skywalkers' mess" thing is terrible writing.

Last edited by Piper Maru on Tue 31 Jan - 18:27; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos and more typos lol sorry guys)
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Tue 31 Jan - 19:36

@snufkin wrote:
@RandomObserver wrote:
@motherofpearl1

I'm 100% sure she's not related to Kylo. From a storytelling perspective, enemies-to-lovers is the most effective, desirable trope in romance. It would be sloppy writing to follow the old trilogy and have them be related, because everyone expects it, and SW is about the element of surprise. And the amount of set up they did in TFA tells me all I need to know. They're going to get together. I'm with you on it doesn't really matter who she's descended from. I'd love it if she was a Kenobi, simply because the two families have history together and it would be delicious to see them interact in that aspect, but whether she's Rey Kenobi, Rey Palpatine, or Rey Nobody, I don't care, as long as she kicks Kylo's infatuated derriere to kingdom come before their relationship takes off. Wink

@RandomObserver

Agreed, both on she's not reylated so it ultimately doesn't matter who her family is and that everything which sets up there relationship is in TFA. And ha, while this board is a hive mind of very smart, very well read book and film junkies, I will also admit that years of watching soap operas (and having a family member and family friends who were all actors on soap operas) is probably a good 60% of why I immediately got suspicious about what's going on between these two. Which is probably not a cool thing to admit in either Star Wars or film nerd discussions, but whatever. I've watched enough soaps (and telenovellas) to pick up on the signs that are there.
@snufkin

Same. I'm brazilian, soaps are HUGE here, everyone at some point in life watched them. And trust me, the dynamic between Kylo and Rey is present in half of soap operas directed at a younger audience or with an edgier approach.
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Tue 31 Jan - 21:44

@Piper Maru wrote:
@motherofpearl1

Pretty much this.

@Piper Maru

Ah they knew what they were doing, speculation is what keeps people amped for the next movie. It was no accident imo lol

It got to the point where i actually think I may have figured out how it will be explained(more info has been found which is incredibly supportive but am keeping sthum as someone stole my theory and is making money off it)

But frick finding this means I looked way too hard at the cinematography and like spent way way too much time worrying about who the heck she may be and for what lol it got stolen lmao. Was a waste of time for sure and there are other things to look at besides who she is
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 1 Feb - 13:10

Speaking of Thea...

AMA: Arndt Episode VII Outline from Feb 2013

Montross, owner of speeder shop, Thea's mentor & father figure.

from legends no longer canon of course but it is interesting.

Montross was a Mandalorian–turned–bounty hunter who competed with Jango Fett to become the template for the clone troopers of the Galactic Republic. Originally one of Jaster Mereel's True Mandalorians, Montross fought in the Mandalorian Civil War, where he was known for his brutal tactics and acts of recklessness. When a young boy called Jango Fett joined the Mandalorians and was treated like a son by Mereel, Montross was angered by Mereel's favoritism of Fett and became contemptuous of him. In an engagement on Korda Six, Montross left Mereel to die. He attempted to claim the title of Mandalore, but was thwarted by Fett, who told the true story of Mereel's death to the other Mandalorians, took over, and banished Montross.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 1 Feb - 13:48

@spacebaby45678 wrote:Speaking of Thea...

Montross was a Mandalorian–turned–bounty hunter who competed with Jango Fett to become the template for the clone troopers of the Galactic Republic. Originally one of Jaster Mereel's True Mandalorians, Montross fought in the Mandalorian Civil War, where he was known for his brutal tactics and acts of recklessness. When a young boy called Jango Fett joined the Mandalorians and was treated like a son by Mereel, Montross was angered by Mereel's favoritism of Fett and became contemptuous of him. In an engagement on Korda Six, Montross left Mereel to die. He attempted to claim the title of Mandalore, but was thwarted by Fett, who told the true story of Mereel's death to the other Mandalorians, took over, and banished Montross.
@spacebaby45678

I'm confused....Mando Montross in the EU had a daughter named Thea? (I didn't know he had family)
Or was Montross the name of a character in the Michael Arndt script? Is this Montross also Mando?

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 1 Feb - 13:59

@panki wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:Speaking of Thea...

@spacebaby45678

I'm confused....Mando Montross in the EU had a daughter named Thea? (I didn't know he had family)
Or was Montross the name of a character in the Michael Arndt script? Is this Montross also Mando?
@panki

Not her father but a father figure...Montross the owner of the speed shop and the Montross Mando may not be the same person but the name similarity is interesting and worth noting.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Wed 1 Feb - 17:31

If the choices Obi-Wan Kenobi and Satine took stood in contrast to Padme and Anakin's, it wouldn't make sense for them to have taken things beyond a mutual declaration of love into forbidden love territory. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/826813324918616065
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Wed 1 Feb - 18:03

@MyOnlyHope wrote:
@Gemini wrote:But I'm petty tired with pablos tweets being taken to mean something when he clearly does not say no.

Rey random is the popular opinion on here and there's no point in debating lol.

I have first hand info from those whom auditioned strongly suggesting that's rey is and always was a kenobi right from the very start, day one. (which will be revealed in a podcast.) There are countless other tweets and info from insiders and Pablo also strongly hinting she has never changed from day one and that she's a kenobi. All this is seemingly totally ignored the second a vague response from Pablo emerges neither confirming or denying anything. It's just a pointless debate. I mean an insider (AB) strongly claiming that she is related to obibwan is now totally forgotten simply because once again  Pablo didn't confirm or deny anything when it comes to rey kenobi? But hey he didnt say yes or no so it must be no right?
@Gemini
No, the popular opinion on here is not Rey Random. This board is mostly filled with people who are prepared for almost any origin story where Rey is concerned (a.k.a. we don't really care so long as it makes sense and adds to an overall engaging narrative). Most of us (speaking for others here, but I believe this to be the case) just don't see sufficient evidence for any theory as of yet. No conclusion has been reached, so we're keeping our options wide open. I think most of us are content just waiting for the movie on this one. Wink
@MyOnlyHope

May I ask a question to you and all who feel that there's no strong kenobi evidence  in tfa pre production, production and post production, tweets,inside info, spoilers as well as tfa as a movie itself.

If she turns out to be a kenobi, will you all still think that everything inside and outside of tfa pointing towards kenobi (that have been outlined multiple times) is still weak and not strong evidence?

Like how her whole journey in tfa is a glorified journey of obibwan and anakins saber making its way to Luke

The theme of her being leias only hope, her being Luke's guide back to the quest, her connection with kylo..etc

Will you all still think that the ending scene where she uses the saber as a prompt to get Luke on the quest and everything mentioned above, is not pointing to kenobi or will you all just suddenly accept it?

Because if it's the latter, I find that interesting
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Wed 1 Feb - 18:11

I was reading some other boards today and I was shocked by the fanboys claiming that if Rey isn't a Skywalker they wouldn't care for her. This is so disrespectful to her character and honestly a demonstration of how toxic fanboys can be.

I'm against Rey Skywalker because I fear that EVERYTHING about her will be, actually, about Luke. The discovery of her Force powers out of nowhere was an amazing moment in TFA. If she is Luke's daughter, everything will be resumed to "oh of course she is good, she is Luke's daughter!!". The quest for her family, her main driving force, will be all about Luke. Her main conflict with the antagonist (Kylo Ren) will become a case of "the Skywalker to kick the evil Skywalker's a**" or, at the best, "the Skywalker who'll show the path of the Light for the evil Skywalker".'

It's just terrible writing all along, and really hope they don't pull this on us.

I'm fine with Rey Random, Rey Kenobi, Rey Palpatine, Rey the Hutt or whatever. Rey Skywalker would be the worst.
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 1 Feb - 18:14

@Gemini wrote:
@MyOnlyHope wrote:
@Gemini wrote:But I'm petty tired with pablos tweets being taken to mean something when he clearly does not say no.

I have first hand info from those whom auditioned strongly suggesting that's rey is and always was a kenobi right from the very start, day one. (which will be revealed in a podcast.) There are countless other tweets and info from insiders and Pablo also strongly hinting she has never changed from day one and that she's a kenobi. All this is seemingly totally ignored the second a vague response from Pablo emerges neither confirming or denying anything. It's just a pointless debate. I mean an insider (AB) strongly claiming that she is related to obibwan is now totally forgotten simply because once again  Pablo didn't confirm or deny anything when it comes to rey kenobi? But hey he didnt say yes or no so it must be no right?
@Gemini
No, the popular opinion on here is not Rey Random. This board is mostly filled with people who are prepared for almost any origin story where Rey is concerned (a.k.a. we don't really care so long as it makes sense and adds to an overall engaging narrative). Most of us (speaking for others here, but I believe this to be the case) just don't see sufficient evidence for any theory as of yet. No conclusion has been reached, so we're keeping our options wide open. I think most of us are content just waiting for the movie on this one. Wink
@MyOnlyHope

May I ask a question to you and all who feel that there's no strong kenobi evidence  in tfa pre production, production and post production, tweets,inside info, spoilers as well as tfa as a movie itself.

If she turns out to be a kenobi, will you all still think that everything inside and outside of tfa pointing towards kenobi (that have been outlined multiple times) is still weak and not strong evidence?

Like how her whole journey in tfa is a glorified journey of obibwan and anakins saber making its way to Luke

The theme of her being leias only hope, her being Luke's guide back to the quest, her connection with kylo..etc

Will you all still think that the ending scene where she uses the saber as a prompt to get Luke on the quest and everything mentioned above, is not pointing to kenobi or will you all just suddenly accept it?

@Gemini
I just don't see it as a competition. That's the thing about interpretation and opinions, you'll believe no matter what you want. I will probably never see any of the evidence listed above as particularly strong. The evidence, explanation and background will be part of the future of the story. There will be no need for evidence like that if it's written effectively because it'll be outlined as clearly as possible in the films themselves. It'll be easy enough for anybody to wrap their head around and not require hours of deliberation over who mirrors who's story or developmental arc from previous trilogies. She'll be a Kenobi and we'll understand why as a result of the story itself. Some can choose to see the above as evidence, others probably never well. And that's okay, because it's not something to win or lose or gain bragging-rights or satisfaction over. It's just a fan theory.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 1 Feb - 18:45

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Gemini wrote:
@MyOnlyHope wrote:

@Gemini
@MyOnlyHope

@Gemini
I just don't see it as a competition. That's the thing about interpretation and opinions, you'll believe no matter what you want. I will probably never see any of the evidence listed above as particularly strong. The evidence, explanation and background will be part of the future of the story. There will be no need for evidence like that if it's written effectively because it'll be outlined as clearly as possible in the films themselves. It'll be easy enough for anybody to wrap their head around and not require hours of deliberation over who mirrors who's story or developmental arc from previous trilogies. She'll be a Kenobi and we'll understand why as a result of the story itself. Some can choose to see the above as evidence, others probably never well. And that's okay, because it's not something to win or lose or gain bragging-rights or satisfaction over. It's just a fan theory.
@FrolickingFizzgig

This is how I feel, too. Any parentage - Kenobi or otherwise - will have to be explained by the story, so its success depends on how good that story is.

I just don't think this is supposed to be a solvable puzzle. I'm sure someone will guess correctly, nonetheless, but that doesn't mean the clues were carefully laid out for people to connect the dots. If we were supposed to connect the dots at this point, the clues wouldn't be scattered in tweets, interviews, pre-production concept art, and so on - all the necessary dots would be there in the film itself. And considering that these films are for a very wide audience with an emphasis on children, the clues would probably be a bit more obvious if the audience at large were supposed to notice them.

It's the same with Kylo's mystery. All we know at this point is the question. We know the ambiguities and we know there's "something" about Kylo's backstory and motivations (and loads of people don't see even that, obviously). We're supposed to ask what happened and why. But at this point, it's impossible to say WHAT the answer is. Someone out there will have guessed correctly, nonetheless. That doesn't mean the answer was obvious all along.

This is why I think Reylo isn't supposed to be a big twist, by the way. Not that it's meant to be totally obvious, of course. It's meant to be "will they or won't they? was I imagining things or...? no, I wasn't imagining things! but how could they...?" But it's still there plainly for everyone to see, if they choose to see it, unlike Rey's parentage and (especially) Kylo's backstory (which is the biggest mystery IMO).
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Wed 1 Feb - 18:47

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:If the choices Obi-Wan Kenobi and Satine took stood in contrast to Padme and Anakin's, it wouldn't make sense for them to have taken things beyond a mutual declaration of love into forbidden love territory. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/826813324918616065
@Mrs Ben Solo

@Mrs Ben Solo wrote:If the choices Obi-Wan Kenobi and Satine took stood in contrast to Padme and Anakin's, it wouldn't make sense for them to have taken things beyond a mutual declaration of love into forbidden love territory. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/826813324918616065
@Mrs Ben Solo

Well, it's Pablo's personal opinion about Obi-Wan and Satine's relationship so perhaps it differs from what the screenwriters intend to do. And Pablo is probably aware that there might be some hidden question there, i.e. does it make it possible for Obi-Wan to be Rey's grandfather? I don't necessarily interpret his answer as a debunk because after all Obi-Wan & Satine could have had an affair but then took a different decision than Anakin & Padmedid.

Now, Pablo's comment is actually quite similar to my own vision of Obi-Wan & Satine. I see them more as complete  mirror and opposite of Anakin & Padme. This is mostly what makes me doubt about Rey Kenobi although it is clear that Obi-Wan is the most serious candidate until now. I hardly imagine Obi-Wan & Satine having let their passion guide their actions because when one begin to give it in, one can hardly go back. That might explain why Obi-Wan sounded a little bitter as he said to Anakin that "dreams fade with time" in AOTC because he was perhaps wise enough to control these feelings completely.

But after all, it's not confirmed that they didn't have an affair and IMO it's the only credible option to make Obi-Wan Rey's grandfather if the screenwriters go that road. I don't imagine him having some other hidden partner before & during the Clone War. As for his solitary life on Tatooine, I ask myself the same question as Carrie did when she was asked about Luke: who would have he get laid there? Hard to believe that he would have made sure for Luke to grow up with his family but would have sort of abandoned his own offspring meanwhile. Unless he & Satine did have  an affair in their younger age and she kept their child hidden including from him, it seems complicated for me to explain how he had some offpring. Now, Rey may be also related to a Kenobi without being his grandaughter. It sounds a little less glamorous than Rey Kenobi, - grandaughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi - ending together with Ben Solo - grandson of Anakin Skywalker - but easier to explain to the general audience. For example, I didn't know at all about Obi-Wan & Satine's "love" story before I heard about Rey Kenobi. So let's suppose that the most of the general audience doesn't know either about that, the screenwriters mut to be careful to avoid some general WTF-reaction if they intend to reveal that Obi-Wan actually had offspring.

Last edited by reylo1992 on Wed 1 Feb - 19:14; edited 1 time in total

reylo1992
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Wed 1 Feb - 19:27

@Piper Maru wrote:I was reading some other boards today and I was shocked by the fanboys claiming that if Rey isn't a Skywalker they wouldn't care for her. This is so disrespectful to her character and honestly a demonstration of how toxic fanboys can be.

I'm against Rey Skywalker because I fear that EVERYTHING about her will be, actually, about Luke. The discovery of her Force powers out of nowhere was an amazing moment in TFA. If she is Luke's daughter, everything will be resumed to "oh of course she is good, she is Luke's daughter!!". The quest for her family, her main driving force, will be all about Luke. Her main conflict with the antagonist (Kylo Ren) will become a case of "the Skywalker to kick the evil Skywalker's a**" or, at the best, "the Skywalker who'll show the path of the Light for the evil Skywalker".'

It's just terrible writing all along, and really hope they don't pull this on us.

I'm fine with Rey Random, Rey Kenobi, Rey Palpatine, Rey the Hutt or whatever. Rey Skywalker would be the worst.
@Piper Maru

This is exactly how I feel on both accounts. Honestly I don't want her and her power/character reduced to a bloodline. She's strong because she's a Skywalker!! ... Nah. I'd rather she be strong on her own.

The only liking her if she's a Skywalker thing is such a disservice to her character. My love of a character has never hinged on their bloodline. It also does take away from her story, people will only refer to her and her importance in relation to Luke.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Wed 1 Feb - 19:38

@Helix wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:I was reading some other boards today and I was shocked by the fanboys claiming that if Rey isn't a Skywalker they wouldn't care for her. This is so disrespectful to her character and honestly a demonstration of how toxic fanboys can be.

@Piper Maru

This is exactly how I feel on both accounts. Honestly I don't want her and her power/character reduced to a bloodline. She's strong because she's a Skywalker!! ... Nah. I'd rather she be strong on her own.

The only liking her if she's a Skywalker thing is such a disservice to her character. My love of a character has never hinged on their bloodline. It also does take away from her story, people will only refer to her and her importance in relation to Luke.
@Helix

I agree.I've said it before but while I'm interesting in who Rey's parents are it's more to do with how it can help Re as a character.Kylo is good example of how not truly knowing where you come from(that Vader is his grandfather)can led to potentually destructive consequences where you can be feel lost and confused and thus become easy pray for people who want to use you for your power.I think Rey knowing where she comes from can only make her stronger because knowing all the facts will help her shape her own future for the better.
Most Rey Solo and Rey Skywalker fans only care about how Rey being related to the OT3 will make their legacy better and more important because apparently the good they've done for the Galaxy and how they're remembered as war heroes doesn't count because Kylo fell to the DS.

CienaRee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Wed 1 Feb - 22:10

@Frolickingfizzgig

Who said anything about bragging?

When/if the time comes I will be happy that I was right in my reading of the film(film language). And I will celebrate but it's not to make anyone feel bad or whatever. And if it's right it would mean that the stuff like the ending is most certainly pointing at rey kenobi.

The evidence is silent and mostly visual. It's Like we can tell kylo wants rey because of the way he looks at her. Imo you can tell who she is simply because of certain things they have visually presented.

its always  perplexed me how people dismiss strong visual storytelling. It's just as strong as dialogue if not stronger in any kind of film.

More often then not, visual storytelling will hint at a lot more than dialogue ever could. It's because of visuals, not dialogue that I could tell exactly who was gonna die from Negan in the walking dead for example.

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 1 Feb - 22:22; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Wed 1 Feb - 22:20

And I can bet my left foot, based off of how  they have already presented rey kenobi in tfa, you won't get much dialogue or worded explanation in The Last Jedi or episode 9.

It's going to all/mostly be visual (5 minute vision at the most)with little to no dialogue. Just a guess based off of what we already have.

Save the explanation for the kenobi film they are deliberately waiting to release after episode 9 according to inside sources. Is that rumour weak evidence?
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 1 Feb - 22:28

@Gemini wrote:@Frolickingfizzgig

Who said anything about bragging?

When/if the time comes I will be happy that I was right in my reading of the film(film language). And I will celebrate but it's not to make anyone feel bad or whatever. And if it's right it would mean that the stuff like the ending is most certainly pointing at rey kenobi.

The evidence is silent and mostly visual. It's Like we can tell kylo wants rey because of the way he looks at her. Imo you can tell who she is simply because of certain things they have visually presented.

its always  perplexed me how people dismiss strong visual storytelling. It's just as strong as dialogue if not stronger in any kind of film.

More often then not, visual storytelling will hint at a lot more than dialogue ever could. It's because of visuals, not dialogue that I could tell exactly who was gonna die from Negan in the walking dead for example.
@Gemini

xd
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum