The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by IoJovi on Thu 11 May 2017 - 17:44

@shii405 wrote:Sorry, I'm sure this has been discussed before. I must have missed it. Can anyone please enlighten me the reason of this cast order? I understand the original big3 has to be on top. But Adam before Daisy? As the villain, I would think he'd be placed No.4 after Daisy, John, Oscar. Even after all the Reylo theories, I would still think Adam should be placed 2nd to Daisy in the credit, no?

With this order, may I assume that Rey is just the 2nd main character and that the true main character / (anti) hero of the whole saga here is Kylo Ren?

Hmm... so ST is really about a reverse-Anakin...
@shii405

Kylo is the sole legacy Skywalker child so it makes sense he'd be #4, in a story that's revolves around the Skywalker family. Rey is the protagonist and has more screen time yes, but I actually love that they did this as it's a subtle way to let the audience know how high the stakes are.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Thu 11 May 2017 - 17:59

@snufkin wrote:
@nemapasara - that whole sequence splits the 6 actors into 3 pairs where you'd guess that's the critical relationship to one another. But in the cross cut with Han and Leia (who are also his parents and he's the product of that epic romance), you get the sense of one relationship coming to its end, while the other is just starting.
@snufkin

You do, especially since the big visual difference is that Leia came off the ship alone and Kylo and Rey go onto the ship together. It really says so much. The other important sequence is Han and Leia's conversation about there still being light in Kylo and it cutting away to the interrogation scene. And just a random, funny thought that means nothing but I love that there's that scene where Han and Leia talk about missing each other and that Han still drives Leia crazy and then the next thing is Kylo running around SKB trying to find Rey. Laughing
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 11 May 2017 - 18:10

@nemapasara wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@nemapasara - that whole sequence splits the 6 actors into 3 pairs where you'd guess that's the critical relationship to one another. But in the cross cut with Han and Leia (who are also his parents and he's the product of that epic romance), you get the sense of one relationship coming to its end, while the other is just starting.
@snufkin

You do, especially since the big visual difference is that Leia came off the ship alone and Kylo and Rey go onto the ship together. It really says so much. The other important sequence is Han and Leia's conversation about there still being light in Kylo and it cutting away to the interrogation scene. And just a random, funny thought that means nothing but I love that there's that scene where Han and Leia talk about missing each other and that Han still drives Leia crazy and then the next thing is Kylo running around SKB trying to find Rey. Laughing
@nemapasara

Wow! I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie, how much we've analyzed it to the point where I think there's nothing left, and yet we are still finding new things like this gem that you've posted. I just love this so much - Kylo and Rey's scenes are juxtaposed next to Han and Leia's scenes to really drive the point home on who will be involved in the ST's central romance.

I also love the scene in the forest where Kylo is to the far right of the screen and Rey is to the far left. There's a giant heart shape in the center of the trees.

A few scenes later, Leia is coming off her ship on the far left, with Han on the far right. There is also a giant heart shape in the trees, but this one is split down the middle.

Good stuff.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 11 May 2017 - 18:18

I also think it's hilarious that he escapes with Rey like, "Oh sh*t, Mom's coming. Gotta get outta here." Because Leia woulda cornered and yelled at him while he stood there not putting up a fight. And unlike Han or even Snoke, you know that she'd basically tell him he's coming home with her and he'd do it without putting up a fight.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 11 May 2017 - 21:28; edited 2 times in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Thu 11 May 2017 - 18:23

@IoJovi wrote:
@shii405 wrote:Sorry, I'm sure this has been discussed before. I must have missed it. Can anyone please enlighten me the reason of this cast order? I understand the original big3 has to be on top. But Adam before Daisy? As the villain, I would think he'd be placed No.4 after Daisy, John, Oscar. Even after all the Reylo theories, I would still think Adam should be placed 2nd to Daisy in the credit, no?

With this order, may I assume that Rey is just the 2nd main character and that the true main character / (anti) hero of the whole saga here is Kylo Ren?

@shii405

Kylo is the sole legacy Skywalker child so it makes sense he'd be #4, in a story that's revolves around the Skywalker family.  Rey is the protagonist and has more screen time yes, but I actually love that they did this as it's a subtle way to let the audience know how high the stakes are.  
@IoJovi

I would think the billing has more to do with actor’s contracts than with what’s going on in the story. As a clear example Harrison Ford is listed before Mark and Carrie. Harrison has the most name recognition. Of the three had the most screen time and probably demanded the most money to appear in the film. Adam gets billed before Daisy and John for the same reasons.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Thu 11 May 2017 - 19:21

@shii405
It's both a standard ordering, but also telling in terms of character importance. Standard because they usually place the OT stars at the front and then Adam as a more experienced actor. However, as we've discussed at length, TFA makes it pretty obvious who the central characters are so the order of the young cast also points to that. Each member of the OT trio is important in their own way, but they all play some kind of mentor role because the spotlight is on the new generation (this was repeatedly emphasized long before TFA came out). Nothing against Poe Dameron as a character, he fulfils his purpose, but it's pretty clear no matter how much of a development he'll have in TLJ with the whole inter-Resistance conflict, he remains a secondary character. Rey, Kylo and Finn are the ones whose journeys we're following. All key scenes in TFA involved at least one of them. Rey is the protagonist, Kylo is her designated villain while he also has a personal drama of his own, and Finn is obviously involved in his own subplot with Rose and so on. The thematic separation in TFA planted the seeds for what's to come in TLJ. I do think Kylo might be Anakin in reverse to an extent, his characterization and appearance point in this direction. Kylo might not have the role of the protagonist in a purely narrative sense, but he is the source of the conflict so far, without the personal element there wouldn't be emotional stakes in the war. There is always someone precious on the other side of the battlefield in SW. As the Skywalker heir he connects the dots so he is hugely important. Which is why they couldn't afford to turn him into a mechanical monster and made sure he retained his good looks (now enhanced by the stylized scar). You don't mess up the appearance of someone who has so much character development to go through.

Last edited by MindAndMagic on Thu 25 May 2017 - 0:46; edited 1 time in total
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 May 2017 - 19:40

@Tex wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@shii405

Kylo is the sole legacy Skywalker child so it makes sense he'd be #4, in a story that's revolves around the Skywalker family.  Rey is the protagonist and has more screen time yes, but I actually love that they did this as it's a subtle way to let the audience know how high the stakes are.  
@IoJovi

I would think the billing has more to do with actor’s contracts than with what’s going on in the story. As a clear example Harrison Ford is listed before Mark and Carrie. Harrison has the most name recognition. Of the three had the most screen time and probably demanded the most money to appear in the film. Adam gets billed before Daisy and John for the same reasons.
@Tex

Billing is a complicated thing. It can be contractual, especially regarding big name box office draws. It can be done according to the importance of the characters, so you'll sometimes see lesser known actors listed before big names. Sometimes, it can even be alphabetical or in order of appearance. There have been cases where actors fought over top billing e.g Steve McQueen and Paul Newman in The Towering Inferno. Both ended up being credited together so neither would be before the other.

I'm not sure how previous Star Wars movies have been credited but I think they've been done in order of importance, unless someone knows better. If it had been done on an actor contract basis, I would have expected Oscar Isaac to get equal or even higher billing than Adam Driver given his previous acting credits. He certainly should have been higher than Daisy and John on that basis.

Last edited by Mrs Ben Solo on Thu 11 May 2017 - 19:44; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Thu 11 May 2017 - 19:43

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@Tex wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@shii405

@IoJovi

@Tex

Billing is a complicated thing. It can be contractual, especially regarding big name box office draws. It can be done according to the importance of the characters, so you'll sometimes see lesser known actors listed before big names. Sometimes, it can even be alphabetical or in order of appearance. There have been cases where actors fought over top billing e.g Steve McQueen and Paul Newman in The Towering Inferno. Both ended up being credited together so neither would be before the other.

I'm not sure how previous Star Wars movies have been credited but I think they've been done in order of importance, unless someone knows better.
@Mrs Ben Solo

OT looked like this:

Mark Hamill
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher

And PT looked like this:

Ewan McGregor
Natalie Portman
Hayden Christensen

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 May 2017 - 19:47

@Irina de France wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@Tex wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@shii405

@IoJovi

@Tex

I'm not sure how previous Star Wars movies have been credited but I think they've been done in order of importance, unless someone knows better.
@Mrs Ben Solo

OT looked like this:

Mark Hamill
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher

And PT looked like this:

Ewan McGregor
Natalie Portman
Hayden Christensen
@Irina de France

Thank you, it seems like it could be character importance over contracts, with the OT at least. The PT might be more contractual, depending on if you'd agree Obi-Wan and Padme were more vital to the story than Anakin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Thu 11 May 2017 - 19:48

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@Irina de France wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@Tex wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@shii405

@IoJovi

@Tex

@Mrs Ben Solo

OT looked like this:

Mark Hamill
Harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher

And PT looked like this:

Ewan McGregor
Natalie Portman
Hayden Christensen
@Irina de France

Thank you, it seems like it could be character importance over contracts, with the OT at least. The PT might be more contractual, depending on if you'd agree Obi-Wan and Padme were more vital to the story than Anakin.
@Mrs Ben Solo

It might be also due to the fact that Ewan and Natalie were in TPM, and not Hayden.

The stars wouldn't shine so bright without a little darkness.
GIF source: [X]

Bonjour ma cousine,
Bonjour mon cousin germain,
On m'a dit que vous m'aimiez,
Est-ce bien la vérité?
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Je n'm'en soucie guère,
Passez par ici et vous par là,
Bonjour ma cousine et puis voilà!

Irina de France

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Thu 11 May 2017 - 20:01

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@Tex wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@shii405

@IoJovi

@Tex

I'm not sure how previous Star Wars movies have been credited but I think they've been done in order of importance, unless someone knows better. If it had been done on an actor contract basis, I would have expected Oscar Isaac to get equal or even higher billing than Adam Driver given his previous acting credits. He certainly should have been higher than Daisy and John on that basis.
@Mrs Ben Solo

You're probably right. It's more of a combination between contract and story importance.
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Kessel on Thu 11 May 2017 - 21:18

I think the name order is definitely based more on the actors' contracts/recognition than their specific character's importance. While I think actors who portray important characters will always be at or near top billing, the ones that go first are the more prominent actors.

At the time of the OT, Harrison was not as prominent an actor as he is now, so it's not too surprising he was listed after Mark back then. It's different now, obviously.

As for the PT, Ewan and Natalie were more well-known and established than Hayden so they were listed first even though Hayden's character was the main protagonist.
Kessel
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 May 2017 - 21:26

@Kessel wrote:I think the name order is definitely based more on the actors' contracts/recognition than their specific character's importance. While I think actors who portray important characters will always be at or near top billing, the ones that go first are the more prominent actors.

At the time of the OT, Harrison was not as prominent an actor as he is now, so it's not too surprising he was listed after Mark back then. It's different now, obviously.

As for the PT, Ewan and Natalie were more well-known and established than Hayden so they were listed first even though Hayden's character was the main protagonist.
@Kessel

I would agree except for in the case of the newcomers in the ST, surely Oscar Isaac should have merited higher billing based on his previous credits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 11 May 2017 - 21:35

I haven't watched the trailer for the last season of Rebels so I didn't know that Kanan tells Ezra "We are the balance." This seems pretty significant, given TLJ trailer. Apologies if it's already been mentioned elsewhere but I just read this write up about it http://www.motionpicturescomics.com/2017/04/17/we-are-the-balance-two-tantalizing-glimpses-at-the-future-of-star-wars/

ETA - The developments in the Dr. Aphra and Luke Skywalker comic crossover sound bonkers! (Beware spoilers) http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-star-wars-crossover-comic-is-heading-to-some-we-1795136254?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 11 May 2017 - 23:07

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I haven't watched the trailer for the last season of Rebels so I didn't know that Kanan tells Ezra "We are the balance." This seems pretty significant, given TLJ trailer. Apologies if it's already been mentioned elsewhere but I just read this write up about it http://www.motionpicturescomics.com/2017/04/17/we-are-the-balance-two-tantalizing-glimpses-at-the-future-of-star-wars/

ETA - The developments in the Dr. Aphra and Luke Skywalker comic crossover sound bonkers! (Beware spoilers) http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-star-wars-crossover-comic-is-heading-to-some-we-1795136254?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
@Mrs Ben Solo

The Aphra crossover is crazy... Shocked Also, Aphra gets flirty with Luke, and Luke behaves likes a bashful schoolgirl with a crush....I found that weirder than the vampire queen and her entourage. Razz

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Fri 12 May 2017 - 0:23

Just for reference.

This appeared for all ANH, ESB, ROTJ. I like this credit style a lot, kinda emphasize they are the triple leads and equal in importance.

A New Hope credits

Empire Strikes Back - next credits

Return of the Jedi - next credits

Alec Guinness was not placed before Mark Hamill though and he was a big name, a super veteran actor that Mark, Harrison and Carrie said in interviews how nervous they were to work together with Sir Alec.

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Hmm... you know if you see this credit back to back with The Force Awakens... somehow Rey Kenobi theory makes so much sense to me, lol

Anyway, due to Oscar Isaac's order placement, I believe this order is not entirely related to the actors' contract. I would argue this is a way to show that Adam and Daisy are the double leads/heroes of the story. The cast order is saying a lot that Kylo Ren bound to go through changes of heart and mind, imho. If Kylo Ren is just a mere villain without any transformation and stays a villain till the end of the story, he would have gotten a place below Oscar Isaac (one of the main heroes).

Last edited by shii405 on Fri 12 May 2017 - 0:31; edited 2 times in total
shii405
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Fri 12 May 2017 - 0:26

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@Tex wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:

@shii405

@IoJovi

@Tex

@Mrs Ben Solo

And don't forget precious Lupita Nyong'o who won an Oscar.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 12 May 2017 - 7:26

Fellow Soap Opera/Telenovella watchers, the Guardian's film critic, Peter Bradshaw, not only agrees with us in recognizing certain tropes and storylines based on the genre, but cites specific soaps and characters as examples. Who knew that he was such a fan of Days of Our Lives and General Hospital?

40 years of Stars Wars – why the blockbuster saga is a galactic soap opera With an evil father, a love triangle and a servant class, the George Lucas universe is full of melodramatic tropes – and there’s no sign that the storylines are running out

Star Wars is a soap opera, the biggest, grandest, most intergalactic soap opera in the world. Two years later, Lucas himself made this point explicit when talking about The Force Awakens, the first Star Wars film over which he did not have direct creative control, saying: “People don’t actually realise it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships.” Just like Dynasty; the dynasty in queston being the Skywalkers.

Darth Vader himself, concealed in his quasi-Nazi cloak and helmet that is part of his medical support system, is a complicated figure of strength, vulnerability and shame. He could have come directly from a soap. In fact, the figure with the bandaged face, who is later revealed – and possibly transformed – as someone who has a great emotional claim on the story’s main participants, is a classic soap move.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 12 May 2017 - 8:49

@snufkin wrote:Fellow Soap Opera/Telenovella watchers, the Guardian's film critic, Peter Bradshaw, not only agrees with us in recognizing certain tropes and storylines based on the genre, but cites specific soaps and characters as examples. Who knew that he was such a fan of Days of Our Lives and General Hospital?

40 years of Stars Wars – why the blockbuster saga is a galactic soap opera  With an evil father, a love triangle and a servant class, the George Lucas universe is full of melodramatic tropes – and there’s no sign that the storylines are running out

Star Wars is a soap opera, the biggest, grandest, most intergalactic soap opera in the world. Two years later, Lucas himself made this point explicit when talking about The Force Awakens, the first Star Wars film over which he did not have direct creative control, saying: “People don’t actually realise it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships.” Just like Dynasty; the dynasty in queston being the Skywalkers.

Darth Vader himself, concealed in his quasi-Nazi cloak and helmet that is part of his medical support system, is a complicated figure of strength, vulnerability and shame. He could have come directly from a soap. In fact, the figure with the bandaged face, who is later revealed – and possibly transformed – as someone who has a great emotional claim on the story’s main participants, is a classic soap move.
@snufkin

OMG! I am a huge lifetime soapy.... thanks for this. I think GL probably watched Guiding Light as a babe. GL a fan of Downton Abbey... of course he is! Smile
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Fri 12 May 2017 - 9:48

I do not know if this is legit, found this on twitter, looks cool. Anyone speaking Japanese here?

Last edited by EchoBase on Fri 12 May 2017 - 17:02; edited 1 time in total
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Fri 12 May 2017 - 12:02

@shii405 wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:I not know if this is legit, found this on twitter, looks cool. Anyone speaking Japanese here?

@EchoBase

It's an official promotional teaser leaflet released by the Japanese distributor.

TRANSLATION:

The Most Shocking Truth Will be Revealed in Star Wars History!!

A new generation of tale on light and dark, virtue and evil has begun with the death of Han Solo.

In the world where First Order and the Resistance are fighting against each other in a war, the heroine, Rey, had her Force awaken.

What will happen to the galaxy when Rey and the one and only survivor of the Jedi knight, Luke Skywalker, meet?

Kylo Ren, who has fallen to the dark side of the Force and killed his father, Han Solo. As a successor of his grandfather, Darth Vader, and a high rank in the First Order, where will his ambition lead him to?

Furthermore, Kylo Ren's mother, the leader of the Resistance, Leia, Poe, Finn, and BB-8, will embark on a new mission!

The story has finally begun and it will lead to a climax scene full of mystery!

December 15. Be ready for the shocking truth surpassing the previous stories!

=end=

Is TLJ post production done? Has the film been completed? I'm just wondering if the writer has watched the whole movie or they only wrote what Lucasfilm told them to write... hm...
@shii405

Thank you for this. As far as I know, Rian is still editing. But even if they just wrote what LF told them, it's still intriguing. Emphasis on "The shocking truth" and Kylo's heritage (mother, father and grandfather, all are mentioned). I like it!
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 12 May 2017 - 12:24

@shii405 wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:I not know if this is legit, found this on twitter, looks cool. Anyone speaking Japanese here?

@EchoBase

It's an official promotional teaser leaflet released by the Japanese distributor.

TRANSLATION:

The Most Shocking Truth in Star Wars History Will Soon be Revealed!!

A new generation of tale on light and dark, virtue and evil has begun with the death of Han Solo.

In the world where First Order and the Resistance are fighting against each other in a war, the heroine, Rey, had her Force awaken.

What will happen to the galaxy when Rey and the one and only survivor of the Jedi knight, Luke Skywalker, meet?

Kylo Ren, who has fallen to the dark side of the Force and killed his father, Han Solo. As a successor of his grandfather, Darth Vader, and a high rank in the First Order, where will his ambition lead him to?

Furthermore, Kylo Ren's mother, the leader of the Resistance, Leia, Poe, Finn, and BB-8, will embark on a new mission!

=end=

Is TLJ post production done? Has the film been completed? I'm just wondering if the writer has watched the whole movie or they only wrote what Lucasfilm told them to write... hm...
@shii405

Thank you for the translation!

Darth Vader is not Luke's father! lol!
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Fri 12 May 2017 - 12:32

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@shii405 wrote:

@EchoBase

TRANSLATION:

=end=

@shii405

@Darth_Awakened

Exactly. Imagine that. End of the Skywalker drama forever. No one is a fricking Skywalker!!!

Kidding aside. The words might not be carefully chosen, but what truth can be more shocking? My head is spinning again. Not good.

Last edited by EchoBase on Fri 12 May 2017 - 17:05; edited 1 time in total
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Fri 12 May 2017 - 12:37

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@shii405 wrote:

@EchoBase

TRANSLATION:

=end=

@shii405

@Darth_Awakened

Luke isn't Rey's father. Razz
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum