The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Darth Dingbat on 5/12/2017, 6:41 am

I imagine the "most shocking truth" might be the reason why "the Jedi must end"?

Unless we're going to Luke=Snoke territory... Laughing Or a major retcon that, say, makes the creation of the Skywalkers a part of some much bigger evil plan that nobody could have guessed.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4402
Likes : 29077
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by panki on 5/12/2017, 6:48 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:I imagine the "most shocking truth" might be the reason why "the Jedi must end"?

Unless we're going to Luke=Snoke territory... Laughing Or a major retcon that, say, makes the creation of the Skywalkers a part of some much bigger evil plan that nobody could have guessed.
@Darth Dingbat

There is actually one legends book that ventures into this territory....how Anakin was created as part of a dark side plot.....but they'd never bring it into canon.

My guess is Luke will tell Rey that the jedi must end and it is upto Rey to convince him otherwise.

_________________


We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
avatar
panki
Moderator

Messages : 3316
Likes : 12334
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-24

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by EchoBase on 5/12/2017, 7:12 am

@Helix wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@shii405 wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:I not know if this is legit, found this on twitter, looks cool. Anyone speaking Japanese here?


@EchoBase

It's an official promotional teaser leaflet released by the Japanese distributor.

TRANSLATION:

The Most Shocking Truth in Star Wars History Will Soon be Revealed!!

A new generation of tale on light and dark, virtue and evil has begun with the death of Han Solo.

In the world where First Order and the Resistance are fighting against each other in a war, the heroine, Rey, had her Force awaken.

What will happen to the galaxy when Rey and the one and only survivor of the Jedi knight, Luke Skywalker, meet?

Kylo Ren, who has fallen to the dark side of the Force and killed his father, Han Solo. As a successor of his grandfather, Darth Vader, and a high rank in the First Order, where will his ambition lead him to?

Furthermore, Kylo Ren's mother, the leader of the Resistance, Leia, Poe, Finn, and BB-8, will embark on a new mission!

The story has finally begun and it will lead to a climax scene full of mystery!

December 15. Be ready for the shocking truth surpassing the previous stories!

=end=

Is TLJ post production done? Has the film been completed? I'm just wondering if the writer has watched the whole movie or they only wrote what Lucasfilm told them to write... hm...
@shii405

Thank you for the translation!

The Most Shocking Truth in Star Wars History Will Soon be Revealed!!

Darth Vader is not Luke's father! lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Luke isn't Rey's father.  Razz
@Helix

I'm shocked to the core Very Happy

@Darth Dingbat wrote:I imagine the "most shocking truth" might be the reason why "the Jedi must end"?
@Darth Dingbat

And the same reason why Ben Solo fell?


Last edited by EchoBase on 5/12/2017, 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2579
Likes : 10708
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by shii405 on 5/12/2017, 7:24 am

I'd vote for Kylo Ren is Rey's father!! lol!

I do not think this time the mystery truth is about someone's heritage. I bet it is about what Luke have done in the past or about the origin of Jedi itself. Maybe the truth is that Jedi is not virtue, instead Jedi and the Force brings destruction to the galaxy. Or something like that. I'm so sure is not about a character's heritage.
avatar
shii405
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 258
Likes : 1901
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-23
Localisation : Tokyo

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by MoonFyre on 5/12/2017, 7:39 am

@EchoBase wrote:
@shii405 wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:I not know if this is legit, found this on twitter, looks cool. Anyone speaking Japanese here?


@EchoBase

It's an official promotional teaser leaflet released by the Japanese distributor.

TRANSLATION:

The Most Shocking Truth Will be Revealed in Star Wars History!!

A new generation of tale on light and dark, virtue and evil has begun with the death of Han Solo.

In the world where First Order and the Resistance are fighting against each other in a war, the heroine, Rey, had her Force awaken.

What will happen to the galaxy when Rey and the one and only survivor of the Jedi knight, Luke Skywalker, meet?

Kylo Ren, who has fallen to the dark side of the Force and killed his father, Han Solo. As a successor of his grandfather, Darth Vader, and a high rank in the First Order, where will his ambition lead him to?

Furthermore, Kylo Ren's mother, the leader of the Resistance, Leia, Poe, Finn, and BB-8, will embark on a new mission!

The story has finally begun and it will lead to a climax scene full of mystery!

December 15. Be ready for the shocking truth surpassing the previous stories!

=end=

Is TLJ post production done? Has the film been completed? I'm just wondering if the writer has watched the whole movie or they only wrote what Lucasfilm told them to write... hm...
@shii405

Thank you for this. As far as I know, Rian is still editing. But even if they just wrote what LF told them, it's still intriguing. Emphasis on "The shocking truth" and Kylo's heritage (mother, father and grandfather, all are mentioned). I like it!
@EchoBase

They're really hammering home the fact that Kylo Ren is the Skywalker in the ST. Well done, marketing!

@Helix wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Vader is not Luke's father! lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Luke isn't Rey's father.  Razz
@Helix

Kylo Ren and Rey are not related! *audience gasps* There could be a romance between them! Too shocking for the GA, I guess. Laughing
avatar
MoonFyre
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 236
Likes : 2261
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by DarthRen on 5/12/2017, 8:23 am

The biggest reveal in Star Wars history? Jar Jar is Dark Side leader=Snoke=Plagueis and he can change his appearance. No doubt.
avatar
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1919
Likes : 5623
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-05
Age : 28
Localisation : Prague, Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Moonjump05 on 5/12/2017, 12:59 pm

Wow, that unimportant villian Kylo Ren gets quite a bit of promo devoted to him. Why is that?

avatar
Moonjump05
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 386
Likes : 2881
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 5/12/2017, 1:07 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:I imagine the "most shocking truth" might be the reason why "the Jedi must end"?

Unless we're going to Luke=Snoke territory... Laughing Or a major retcon that, say, makes the creation of the Skywalkers a part of some much bigger evil plan that nobody could have guessed.
@Darth Dingbat

Interesting that they're teasing a "shocking truth", when Jason from MSW keeps saying that there are no huge spoilers on the level of "Han Solo dies" in TLJ.

So, if there is a big reveal of some sort...I don't think that Jason knows about it.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4817
Likes : 25266
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Darth_Awakened on 5/12/2017, 1:22 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:I imagine the "most shocking truth" might be the reason why "the Jedi must end"?

Unless we're going to Luke=Snoke territory... Laughing Or a major retcon that, say, makes the creation of the Skywalkers a part of some much bigger evil plan that nobody could have guessed.
@Darth Dingbat

Interesting that they're teasing a "shocking truth", when Jason from MSW keeps saying that there are no huge spoilers on the level of "Han Solo dies" in TLJ.

So, if there is a big reveal of some sort...I don't think that Jason knows about it.
@ISeeAnIsland

I'am quite sure of it - because it probably has to do what is said, not what is done.
As far as I remember Jason was pretty much clueless about the dialogue part even in TFA.

If it's a story about something that happened in the past and I believe it is - it's likely it would be partially told by Luke and/or Kylo, or shown in the Rey's vision.
avatar
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4075
Likes : 19330
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Acritiqua on 5/12/2017, 1:30 pm

I love the focus on just Rey and Kylo on the poster. I often feel lost in some sort of Twilight Zone wrt the Star Wars fandom. It's amazing how so many people just want TLJ to focus on Rey and Luke, and that Kylo has no significance other than getting his $$$ kicked again.
avatar
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 286
Likes : 892
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on 5/12/2017, 3:02 pm

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Fellow Soap Opera/Telenovella watchers, the Guardian's film critic, Peter Bradshaw, not only agrees with us in recognizing certain tropes and storylines based on the genre, but cites specific soaps and characters as examples. Who knew that he was such a fan of Days of Our Lives and General Hospital?

40 years of Stars Wars – why the blockbuster saga is a galactic soap opera  With an evil father, a love triangle and a servant class, the George Lucas universe is full of melodramatic tropes – and there’s no sign that the storylines are running out

Star Wars is a soap opera, the biggest, grandest, most intergalactic soap opera in the world. Two years later, Lucas himself made this point explicit when talking about The Force Awakens, the first Star Wars film over which he did not have direct creative control, saying: “People don’t actually realise it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships.” Just like Dynasty; the dynasty in queston being the Skywalkers.

Darth Vader himself, concealed in his quasi-Nazi cloak and helmet that is part of his medical support system, is a complicated figure of strength, vulnerability and shame. He could have come directly from a soap. In fact, the figure with the bandaged face, who is later revealed – and possibly transformed – as someone who has a great emotional claim on the story’s main participants, is a classic soap move.
@snufkin

OMG! I am a huge lifetime soapy.... thanks for this. I think GL probably watched Guiding Light as a babe. GL a fan of Downton Abbey... of course he is! Smile
@spacebaby45678

I love how Bradshaw doesn't mention James Franco once, we don't need his validation. Like I've said, my uncle and a lot of his 'serious' stage actor friends from New York all did soaps. It's the bread and butter of working actors, not something to look down your nose at. Though I disagree about saying Leia is like Sybil Crawley. She's more like Lady Mary, they're both so gloriously bitchy (I <3 Mary) and don't suffer fools because they're the smartest people in the room but get condescended to for being female. And like Mary, her struggle is about being seen as the legacy bearer in a world that's male centered. Padme is more like Sybil, good hearted, non-judgemental, idealistic and doomed to die in the childbirth.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26553
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by spacebaby45678 on 5/12/2017, 3:15 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Fellow Soap Opera/Telenovella watchers, the Guardian's film critic, Peter Bradshaw, not only agrees with us in recognizing certain tropes and storylines based on the genre, but cites specific soaps and characters as examples. Who knew that he was such a fan of Days of Our Lives and General Hospital?

40 years of Stars Wars – why the blockbuster saga is a galactic soap opera  With an evil father, a love triangle and a servant class, the George Lucas universe is full of melodramatic tropes – and there’s no sign that the storylines are running out

Star Wars is a soap opera, the biggest, grandest, most intergalactic soap opera in the world. Two years later, Lucas himself made this point explicit when talking about The Force Awakens, the first Star Wars film over which he did not have direct creative control, saying: “People don’t actually realise it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships.” Just like Dynasty; the dynasty in queston being the Skywalkers.

Darth Vader himself, concealed in his quasi-Nazi cloak and helmet that is part of his medical support system, is a complicated figure of strength, vulnerability and shame. He could have come directly from a soap. In fact, the figure with the bandaged face, who is later revealed – and possibly transformed – as someone who has a great emotional claim on the story’s main participants, is a classic soap move.
@snufkin

OMG! I am a huge lifetime soapy.... thanks for this. I think GL probably watched Guiding Light as a babe. GL a fan of Downton Abbey... of course he is! Smile
@spacebaby45678

I love how Bradshaw doesn't mention James Franco once, we don't need his validation. Like I've said, my uncle and a lot of his 'serious' stage actor friends from New York all did soaps. It's the bread and butter of working actors, not something to look down your nose at. Though I disagree about saying Leia is like Sybil Crawley. She's more like Lady Mary, they're both so gloriously bitchy (I <3 Mary) and don't suffer fools because they're the smartest people in the room but get condescended to for being female. And like Mary, her struggle is about being seen as the legacy bearer in a world that's male centered. Padme is more like Sybil, good hearted, non-judgemental, idealistic and doomed to die in the childbirth.
@snufkin

OK, now I am dying to know who your Uncle is. I have watched both GH & GL for decades. I probably know him... Right now I watch Y & R because I don't have a fear of it being cancelled. GH, I have dropped off of watching about 3 years ago because of the destruction of the Spencer clan and the recasting of Lulu. George would have watched soaps in the summer with his Mom like the rest of American adolescents ( before the internet) it was the only thing on T.V. during Summer break.. so his love for it makes sense.
avatar
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2590
Likes : 5981
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on 5/12/2017, 3:25 pm

@spacebaby45678 - he's deceased, but had a long running role on Another World as Genoa City's #1 gangster, Tony the Tuna. Another one of his friends (they were in the repertoire company for Lincoln Center) was in One Life to Live, Y&R, and the B&B. But that guy still gets attention for being on Dark Shadows, so I've heard a couple second stories about the nutty fanbase and cons for that soap. And a big part of why a lot of fandom and shipping stuff gives me the Willies is that I read some of my uncle's (ranging from inappropriate to sexually explicit) fan mail as a kid.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26553
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by spacebaby45678 on 5/12/2017, 4:03 pm

@snufkin wrote:@spacebaby45678 - he's deceased, but had a long running role on Another World as Genoa City's #1 gangster, Tony the Tuna. Another one of his friends (they were in the repertoire company for Lincoln Center) was in One Life to Live, Y&R, and the B&B. But that guy still gets attention for being on Dark Shadows, so I've heard a couple second stories about the nutty fanbase and cons for that soap. And a big part of why a lot of fandom and shipping stuff gives me the Willies is that I read some of my uncle's (ranging from inappropriate to sexually explicit) fan mail as a kid.
@snufkin

Dark Shadows is a cult classic even though I have never watched it. I will have to Look it up. Gurl, Soap fans are creepy, especially the ones that go to paid events. Living in NYC I see famous people all of the time I just believe it is polite to pretend I don't see them at all.
avatar
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2590
Likes : 5981
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on 5/12/2017, 4:56 pm

@spacebaby45678 believe me, if I'm convinced that Reylo is a thing, it's not because I'm a fan or a shipper when I've had exposure to all the crazy/creepy things fans do.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26553
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on 5/14/2017, 1:33 pm

In regards to the Disney influence on the ST, this is about Pixar but it a good % of my being pleasantly surprised so far because it hasn't ventured yet into this area. But also makes me skeptical long term about what the output will be, thoughtful/well written stories or something that can be fodder for future Disney sequel movies, cruises and theme park rides?

How Pixar Lost Its Way  For 15 years, the animation studio was the best on the planet. Then Disney bought it

he overlap between the Pixar movies that beget sequels and the movies that inspire rides at Disney amusement parks is all but total. Theme-park rides are premised on an awareness of the theme in question, and young parkgoers are less likely to be familiar with movies that are more than a decade old. If you want them clamoring to experience Toy Story Midway Mania, they’ll need a Toy Story 4. Cars Land could use a Cars 3, and Finding Nemo–associated rides were due a Finding Dory. Who better to preside over all this corporate synergy than Lasseter—who, to note yet one more of his many titles, is also the “principal creative adviser” for Walt Disney Imagineering, the subsidiary responsible for designing the rides?

Pixar has promised that after the upcoming glut of sequels, the studio will focus on original features. But we’re grown-ups, and though the once inimitable studio has taught us to believe in renewal, it has also trained us in grief and loss. I’m not sure I dare to expect much more of what used to make Pixar Pixar: the idiosyncratic stories, the deep emotional resonance, the subtle themes that don’t easily translate into amusement-park rides. I’m thinking of the heartbreaking, waltz-set “Married Life” segment of Up, which packs more emotion into four minutes than most Oscar-nominated dramas manage in their entire running time. Or the wistful solitude of wall-e’s robotic protagonist, left behind on Earth to clean up his creators’ mess. Or Anton Ego’s artful critique of criticism at the end of Ratatouille, arguably the slyest words on the subject since Addison DeWitt’s in All About Eve.

None of these films is scheduled to have a sequel. And none is particularly suited to becoming a theme-park ride (though Disney unveiled Ratatouille: The Adventure at, of course, Disneyland Paris). Which can’t help but raise the question: Would Pixar even bother making those pictures anymore?
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26553
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Tex on 5/15/2017, 9:47 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but I thought this was sort of cute. Apparently Kylo is becoming a very popular boy's name. Smile Show of hands how many of you would name your kid Kylo?

We should point out that the name Kylo, based off of Adam Driver's character Kylo Ren, is not among the top 5 baby names of the year. However, it is significant because it saw the largest increase of any boy's name in the year 2016. Back in 2015, the name was the 3,269th most popular name in America. Then, in 2016, the name jumped up 2,368 spots to become the 901st name. Yeah, #901 isn't as impressive as #5 would be, but percentage-wise, that's a huge jump.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1659279/one-star-wars-name-is-getting-way-more-popular-in-real-life
avatar
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 454
Likes : 2826
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-07
Age : 26
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on 5/15/2017, 10:06 pm

@Tex wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but I thought this was sort of cute. Apparently Kylo is becoming a very popular boy's name. Smile Show of hands how many of you would name your kid Kylo?

We should point out that the name Kylo, based off of Adam Driver's character Kylo Ren, is not among the top 5 baby names of the year. However, it is significant because it saw the largest increase of any boy's name in the year 2016. Back in 2015, the name was the 3,269th most popular name in America. Then, in 2016, the name jumped up 2,368 spots to become the 901st name. Yeah, #901 isn't as impressive as #5 would be, but percentage-wise, that's a huge jump.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1659279/one-star-wars-name-is-getting-way-more-popular-in-real-life
@Tex

I would, but I'm pretty sure we're done. We considered Milo for our son so Kylo would be cool too. 901st place wouldn't make it very popular though. I think my son's name is a bit higher in the ranking, but we've never met another kid with the same. We know someone with a son named Anakin, though  Smile

Correction: I just double checked and our son's name is 300 LOWER in the ranking, lol. We may meet a baby Kylo yet!
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1237
Likes : 5761
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by ZioRen on 5/15/2017, 10:30 pm

Kylo without context is actually a nice name. I really like how it sounds and I thought that the first time I ever heard it before I cared about the character. But no, I'd never saddle my kid with a name that was obviously from a movie.  Laughing  You could get away with Luke back in the day, not so much Leia or Han Solo. The only ST name nobody would blink an eye at is Finn! Maybe Poe, but that's not such a common name for young people.

I'll probably end up naming a pet Kylo one of these days, though.
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1770
Likes : 11470
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by IoJovi on 5/15/2017, 10:37 pm

@ZioRen wrote:Kylo without context is actually a nice name. I really like how it sounds and I thought that the first time I ever heard it before I cared about the character. But no, I'd never saddle my kid with a name that was obviously from a movie.  Laughing  You could get away with Luke back in the day, not so much Leia or Han Solo. The only ST name nobody would blink an eye at is Finn! Maybe Poe, but that's not such a common name for young people.

I'll probably end up naming a pet Kylo one of these days, though.
@ZioRen

Totally agree with everything said here.  Prior to the movie and not knowing any context associated with it, it is a great sounding name for a boy.  Let's remember though, this is the name of a character who killed his father, and did all sorts of villainous things, redemption arc aside. It's cheesy to name your kid after what's very identifiable as a movie character to begin with, but this one also comes along with a lot of baggage.  

However, let me also state I would name my kid Ben all day long.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6449
Likes : 36367
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by ISeeAnIsland on 5/15/2017, 10:45 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:Kylo without context is actually a nice name. I really like how it sounds and I thought that the first time I ever heard it before I cared about the character. But no, I'd never saddle my kid with a name that was obviously from a movie.  Laughing  You could get away with Luke back in the day, not so much Leia or Han Solo. The only ST name nobody would blink an eye at is Finn! Maybe Poe, but that's not such a common name for young people.

I'll probably end up naming a pet Kylo one of these days, though.
@ZioRen

Totally agree with everything said here.  Prior to the movie and not knowing any context associated with it, it is a great sounding name for a boy.  Let's remember though, this is the name of a character who killed his father, and did all sorts of villainous things, redemption arc aside. It's cheesy to name your kid after what's very identifiable as a movie character to begin with, but this one also comes along with a lot of baggage.  

However, let me also state I would name my kid Ben all day long.
@IoJovi

Every single one of our pets is named after a movie or tv character. However, that sort of thing was never a consideration for our daughter (although we did consider "Scout" as a middle name for her and "Atticus" before we knew that she was going to be a girl.)
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4817
Likes : 25266
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by IoJovi on 5/15/2017, 10:58 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:Kylo without context is actually a nice name. I really like how it sounds and I thought that the first time I ever heard it before I cared about the character. But no, I'd never saddle my kid with a name that was obviously from a movie.  Laughing  You could get away with Luke back in the day, not so much Leia or Han Solo. The only ST name nobody would blink an eye at is Finn! Maybe Poe, but that's not such a common name for young people.

I'll probably end up naming a pet Kylo one of these days, though.
@ZioRen

Totally agree with everything said here.  Prior to the movie and not knowing any context associated with it, it is a great sounding name for a boy.  Let's remember though, this is the name of a character who killed his father, and did all sorts of villainous things, redemption arc aside. It's cheesy to name your kid after what's very identifiable as a movie character to begin with, but this one also comes along with a lot of baggage.  

However, let me also state I would name my kid Ben all day long.
@IoJovi

Every single one of our pets is named after a movie or tv character. However, that sort of thing was never a consideration for our daughter (although we did consider "Scout" as a middle name for her and "Atticus" before we knew that she was going to be a girl.)
@ISeeAnIsland

Oh pets are completely different. My Reywalker cousin who I've spoken about has a cat named Anakin. I had an iguana growing up named Kabal, who was a Mortal Kombat character.

I'm talking about a human child who will have to go through life permanently with whatever name you give them.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6449
Likes : 36367
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on 5/15/2017, 11:10 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:Kylo without context is actually a nice name. I really like how it sounds and I thought that the first time I ever heard it before I cared about the character. But no, I'd never saddle my kid with a name that was obviously from a movie.  Laughing  You could get away with Luke back in the day, not so much Leia or Han Solo. The only ST name nobody would blink an eye at is Finn! Maybe Poe, but that's not such a common name for young people.

I'll probably end up naming a pet Kylo one of these days, though.
@ZioRen

Totally agree with everything said here.  Prior to the movie and not knowing any context associated with it, it is a great sounding name for a boy.  Let's remember though, this is the name of a character who killed his father, and did all sorts of villainous things, redemption arc aside. It's cheesy to name your kid after what's very identifiable as a movie character to begin with, but this one also comes along with a lot of baggage.  

However, let me also state I would name my kid Ben all day long.
@IoJovi

Every single one of our pets is named after a movie or tv character. However, that sort of thing was never a consideration for our daughter (although we did consider "Scout" as a middle name for her and "Atticus" before we knew that she was going to be a girl.)
@ISeeAnIsland

We didn't name our kids after any characters either, but I can see why people do. Kylo was a name before SW, most people had just never heard of it. I think it just sounds cool.  I really like Rey and Finn as characters, but wouldn't consider using those names because they're not my taste. (Fin/Finn is pretty popular now) Isabella and Jacob were in the top for years after Twilight, and although I don't like Twilight, I do like those names and might've used them if they weren't so popular. I definitely wouldn't make little Kylo's middle name Ren, lol, but I don't see anything wrong with using it. To each their own. Like I said, we probably won't have anymore, so I don't have to think so seriously about it ^^
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1237
Likes : 5761
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on 5/15/2017, 11:28 pm

The only character named kids I know are Stuart and Charlotte, two guesses what the inspiration is for their names : )

It's pretty entertaining how much outrage and snark this naming data has provoked in some circles. Or maybe a preview of what could happen in December. It was the same for the trailer wasn't it, his appearance got some pretty big cheers, right?
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6109
Likes : 26553
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum