The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Darth_Awakened on Mon 5 Jun - 10:43

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:This is good about the Jedi and attachment. I follow the guy who wrote this on Twitter, and while I don't always agree with him and he doesn't personally want Reylo to happen, we've had some interesting debates and I do appreciate a respectful, different point of view. http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2017/04/selfish-love-why-the-jedi-were-right-about-attachment/
@Mrs Ben Solo

I definitely agree with his viewpoint on the attachment. (i.e. attachement in the sense of possessiveness ), however in his further speculation on Rey's possible challanges he falls in a very common trap of "what to do with Kylo Ren in the story other than be a pure antagonist", which IMO isn't happening (see: Almost every AD interview so far: "internal wounds", "hunamity"; the patricide wasn't what it cracked up tp be" etc. )

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 5 Jun - 13:19

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:This is good about the Jedi and attachment. I follow the guy who wrote this on Twitter, and while I don't always agree with him and he doesn't personally want Reylo to happen, we've had some interesting debates and I do appreciate a respectful, different point of view. http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2017/04/selfish-love-why-the-jedi-were-right-about-attachment/
@Mrs Ben Solo

I definitely agree with his viewpoint on the attachment. (i.e. attachement in the sense of possessiveness ), however in his further speculation on Rey's possible challanges he falls in a very common trap of "what to do with Kylo Ren in the story other than be a pure antagonist", which IMO isn't happening (see: Almost every AD interview so far: "internal wounds", "hunamity"; the patricide wasn't what it cracked up tp be" etc. )
@Darth_Awakened

I think the article is helpful here....even Snoke mentions in the novel that Kylo has compassion for the girl and he feels a pull to the light....if we keep romance aside for the moment (am sure it will happen later but its too early in the story), maybe Rey inspires selflessness in him, something that makes him question whether he wants to finish what Vader started and whether Snoke's version of the ROTJ story was right. It could be a romantic variant of the love Vader felt for Luke when Luke chose to love his family and sacrifice over power and fear....Rey is a forgiving person, after all.

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Mon 5 Jun - 13:40

panki wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

@Darth_Awakened

I think the article is helpful here....even Snoke mentions in the novel that Kylo has compassion for the girl and he feels a pull to the light....if we keep romance aside for the moment (am sure it will happen later but its too early in the story), maybe Rey inspires selflessness in him, something that makes him question whether he wants to finish what Vader started and whether Snoke's version of the ROTJ story was right. It could be a romantic variant of the love Vader felt for Luke when Luke chose to love his family and sacrifice over power and fear....Rey is a forgiving person, after all.
@panki

I totally agree with you, panki.
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi: General Discussion- add

Post by Helix on Mon 5 Jun - 21:35

I think the downfall of the Jedi Order was more than just attachments ( and even no attachments isn't bad, plenty of Jedi were fine without them ), those were just used by a master manipulator to get what he wanted. They failed to see what Palpatine was doing until it was too late. In a lot of ways it was more their fault than Anakin's ( not that he wasn't greedy and selfish in a lot of ways ), he was just a puppet for Palps. They failed to see the obvious signs. The Order didn't want to think they might be flaws in other ways, how complacent they became in things like the war. They became less about Force mysticism and more of a stuck-up war machine. Attachments are not necessarily bad, he could've left and lived out a life with Padme, but Palps needed them and him to destroy the Jedi. So he encouraged these things and the Jedi turned a blind eye.
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 6 Jun - 5:36

We are the spark, that’ll light the fire, that’ll burn the First Order down.
panki

http://starwarstheorist.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 15 Jun - 2:01

Not really where this would go, but it touches on discussions we've had here about narrative, establishing character, and True Detective (tagging other fans like @ZenBrainJam and @Piper Maru), using Rogue One and Alien's new franchise as contrasts of how not to do it

Time is a flat circle so let’s talk about the first season of True Detective again

Though the video is ostensibly an ode to True Detective, it also functions as a lesson for aspiring writers in how to allow plot to emerge organically from character. As a means of contrast, Film Radar also explores the pitfalls of developing a story through aesthetics, using Gareth Edwards’ discussion of his process in making Rogue One as an example.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 15 Jun - 11:20

panki wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

@Darth_Awakened

@panki

Yes,and dear Carrie made a point of mentioning this.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 15 Jun - 16:59

Is the rumor that Hayden may appear as Force ghost Anakin still up for speculation, or did that die?
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 15 Jun - 17:09

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Is the rumor that Hayden may appear as Force ghost Anakin still up for speculation, or did that die?
@Cowgirlsamurai

Unfortunately, Sloth Anakin is not happening. Crying or Very sad Sad No
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 15 Jun - 17:27

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Is the rumor that Hayden may appear as Force ghost Anakin still up for speculation, or did that die?
@Cowgirlsamurai

I don't think the rumors that Hayden was seen at Pinewood ever went away. The rumor was resurrected recently by Mike Zeroh, and of course, with it being Mike Zeroh, several media sources picked it up and have been running with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 15 Jun - 17:29

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

I don't think the rumors that Hayden was seen at Pinewood ever went away.  The rumor was resurrected recently by Mike Zeroh, and of course, with it being Mike Zeroh, several media sources picked it up and have been running with it.
@ISeeAnIsland

MSW lampooned it at 1:26:00, they call Sloth Anakin " a sassy dinosaur".  lol!

"Don't fight the sea monster, it's Darth Vader!" lol! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by vaderito on Thu 15 Jun - 17:31; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 15 Jun - 17:31

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

I don't think the rumors that Hayden was seen at Pinewood ever went away.  The rumor was resurrected recently by Mike Zeroh, and of course, with it being Mike Zeroh, several media sources picked it up and have been running with it.
@ISeeAnIsland

Yes! A local Star Wars store posted an article about it today, so I got my hopes up about it for the 20 seconds it took me to scan the article and see Mike Zeroh listed as the source...

Then I remembered that KK had debunked the "Hayden will appear in R1" rumor, but couldn't remember if anyone from LF had killed the idea of him in 8.
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 15 Jun - 17:52

Does anybody know how Mike Zeroh got so much media clout? Has he ever been right about anything? I feel like he must have leaked something big once upon a time because so far it seems like he's always wrong, yet the media goes nuts whenever he so much as says a word about Star Wars "leaks".
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 15 Jun - 18:28

It's the general fake news ecosystem. Kind of like how you see a nutjob like Louise Mensch immigrate to the US and somehow convine people (mainly because Americans assume posh British accent = smart) that she's this expert on Russian espionage and US constitutional law.

In other news, Carrie's house was on home tour earlier this week for Good Morning America. Sort of torn, because ABC is also owned by Disney, so it feels a little too much like corporate synergy. And now that she's gone, they can push the "oh Carrie, she was such a quirky free spirit" narrative that she ball busted on her TFA press tour. But I did love the scenes at home with her and her mom in Bright Lights, so I'm tempted to watch the whole segment. It sounds like there's going to be an auction in the Fall, closer to TLJ's release, of her and her mother's collections.

An Inside Look at Carrie Fisher's Home, Which Could Be Mistaken For the Set of Star Wars

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 15 Jun - 21:08; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Thu 15 Jun - 19:19

ZioRen wrote:Does anybody know how Mike Zeroh got so much media clout? Has he ever been right about anything? I feel like he must have leaked something big once upon a time because so far it seems like he's always wrong, yet the media goes nuts whenever he so much as says a word about Star Wars "leaks".
@ZioRen

The thing with Zeroh is quantity. He has a reasonably slick an consistent YouTube production. He tends to describe rumors, without any actual information, but he does so with some visual aids. He managed to get lots of hits from Star Wars fans hungry for rumors, even though he doesn't have much of anything, the number of hits gives him some sort of authority, and then the laziness of the mainstream media is on display as he becomes the first thing that comes up when googling a rumor.

It's interesting, I don't find his videos that terrible or anything - it's kind of annoying that he's become sort of famous without actually having any real unique information, but, hey, more power to him, I guess.

fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 15 Jun - 20:51

fuhry wrote:
ZioRen wrote:Does anybody know how Mike Zeroh got so much media clout? Has he ever been right about anything? I feel like he must have leaked something big once upon a time because so far it seems like he's always wrong, yet the media goes nuts whenever he so much as says a word about Star Wars "leaks".
@ZioRen

The thing with Zeroh is quantity. He has a reasonably slick an consistent YouTube production. He tends to describe rumors, without any actual information, but he does so with some visual aids. He managed to get lots of hits from Star Wars fans hungry for rumors, even though he doesn't have much of anything, the number of hits gives him some sort of authority, and then the laziness of the mainstream media is on display as he becomes the first thing that comes up when googling a rumor.

It's interesting, I don't find his videos that terrible or anything - it's kind of annoying that he's become sort of famous without actually having any real unique information, but, hey, more power to him, I guess.
@fuhry

Let's also not forget that he steals things posted by other people and puts his "Mike Zeroh" watermark on it. So sometimes he comes across as having legit information...but it's always stuff that's been taken from other sources.

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 15 Jun - 22:18

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
fuhry wrote:
@ZioRen

@fuhry

Let's also not forget that he steals things posted by other people and puts his "Mike Zeroh" watermark on it. So sometimes he comes across as having legit information...but it's always stuff that's been taken from other sources.
@ISeeAnIsland

Especially when it comes to Reylo....
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 18 Jun - 21:56

This video is a good summary of what is known about TLJ so far. Don't pay attention to the image. I guess it's to catch people's attention and I have to admit that it worked on me because I went "WTF!" and clicked on it. The video itself says very little on Kylo and does not show him as a bald heavy-scarred red-eyed villain. I rolled my eyes a little at TFA being described as Han's movie, but ok, I know what is meant. Other than that I found the video entertaining and the idea that Luke might be in a tree interesting and funny.

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Jun - 23:32

More OT than ST, but a very old friend of mine writes for Collector's Weekly and just interviewed a SW prop master and memorabilia collector about how he got into collecting, especially Luke's RotJ saber, and writing tie-in books for Lucasfilm.

Prop Master: How a “Star Wars” Superfan Scoured the Earth for Space Debris

Lisa Hix wrote:Brandon Alinger has a movie-prop collection that would make any Gen-Xers’ head explode: He owns an authentic “Ghostbuster” ghost trap with the slide-out cartridge, a “Star Wars” rebel pilot helmet, and the lightsaber that Luke Skywalker carried in “Return of the Jedi.” Alinger’s ownership of all these holy grails of 1980s cinema makes sense when you realize that for the last 10 years, the 34-year-old has made a career of buying and selling movie props as the chief operations officer at Prop Store in Los Angeles. Alinger has also researched and written a handful of official Lucasfilm books on the “Star Wars” movies, which allowed him to peruse the studio’s costume archive and the personal files of “Return of the Jedi” producer Howard Kazanjian.

Lisa Hix wrote:Collectors Weekly: What was it like to reunite Mark Hamill with his “Return of the Jedi” lightsaber?

Alinger: Oh, it was great fun. If there’s one person you want to chat with about Luke Skywalker’s “Jedi” lightsaber, it’s him. When he described how they had to wear battery belts to create the the light beam, which was what they call a “practical” effect on the first movie, it was great to hear it from the horse’s mouth. It was great that he remembered it because we’re talking about 40 years ago, which is quite a long time.
Collectors Weekly: Why did Mark use Obi-Wan’s old lightsaber in the third movie instead of the original made from the Graflex flash gun?

Alinger: Luke had to use a different lightsaber because he lost the weapon when he lost his hand in “The Empire Strikes Back” fight with Vader. Howard Kazanjian had a lot of the production photos for “Jedi.” When we were researching the book, we found a contact sheet with photos from the very first day of filming “Jedi.” One image showed Mark Hamill on the sandstorm set—for a scene was cut from the movie—and he’s holding the lightsaber prop from “A New Hope” and “The Empire Strikes Back.” I don’t know exactly what happened. But it sure seems to me like someone brought out the old “Empire” lightsaber and then a decision was made right then and there that they needed a new prop because the “Empire” one fell into the Cloud City air shaft with Luke’s severed hand.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Thu 22 Jun - 23:46

panki wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@panki 

Ahh, sorry. I didn't mean that attachments=the need to procreate. Just the desire to be close to another/others. I think that few make it through life without having romantic/sexual feelings for anyone, hence the many cases of repressed priests who have secretly abused children. However, in Star Wars, family and "continuing the Skywalker Saga," are important so that's why I mentioned it.
Anyway, like Anakin, Kylo's seems like a pretty passionate character, so it'd be hard to imagine him making it through rigid Jedi training ^^
@Cowgirlsamurai

I didn't intend to include just the need to procreate as the drive being repressed, but all forms of companionship and family life as well.....being a person who is very interested in spirituality, let me give the example of a very close friend of mine....he wanted to be an ascetic from a very young age (3 years old) and spent his time in the company of holy people....his family were upset by this and wanted him to take up a more mainstream profession like engineering and to get married....however, he was so engrossed in his practices and meditation that he just had no bandwidth left for being attracted to someone, having a romance etc. And contrary to how it might appear, it isn't a lonely life as one is normally surrounded by other adherents and there is a strong sense of family, bonds and companionship among them....so I do understand the way the traditional jedi functioned and personally see no problem in it as I know from my own practical experience that following a strongly spiritual path and having a love life don't go hand in hand (if you intend to take either seriously). As for priests abusing children...if repression was the only reason for people turning abusive, why do we see child predators even in normal walks of life, some even married with families?

But all the above is something in the real world.... as @SoloSideCousin once wisely pointed out, a regular young viewer would find it hard to relate to heroes who eventually become monks...I have no issue with them changing the rules to allow force users to have romance.....my issue is if attachments are blamed for the fall of the jedi order because that really wasn't the case, and it would be a bad message to give especially when many people follow an ascetic lifestyle in the real world without feeling repressed and harming others...and even in the SW universe the jedi order survived for a 1000 years without members going crazy and turning evil.

But from a story telling perspective, I do agree that they have to either re-define the jedi order structure or maybe start a whole new order inspired by other force user groups where romantic relationships were permitted...and this can be done organically without laying the blame on any group's life choices.

As for Anakin, I feel he was not just passionate- he was selfish as hell. If you watch TCW's mortis arc, the Father even calls him selfish at one point of time. He could have left the jedi order at any point of time and openly acknowledged his marriage. The jedi never stopped their members from leaving the order and getting married...but Anakin wanted power and wasn't ready to let it go, even for a quiet happy life with Padme. I would honestly be happy to see the end of the Skywalker name (because all it causes it trouble in the galaxy) and for Rey and Ben Solo to marry and continue as Solos instead to keep Han's name alive.
@panki

Honestly, yeah.  In AOTC Anakin could have went back for Padme when she fell out of the ship, pursuing Dooku.  The reason he didn't was because Obi Wan told him the council would expel him from The Jedi Order.  He didn't want to lose the power so he left her.  Not because Darth Tyranus was to dangerous to let go or to avenge his Jedi brethren but because he would have lost the power and privileges the Jedi life afforded him. Hail he could have come clean about his visions of his misses dying in childbirth and had some of the best medical care provided to watch over her but he didn't because he would have been kicked out of the Jedi fraternity. Like you wrote its not like he would have been put to death for breaking the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Fri 23 Jun - 3:30

I like Thor Skywalkers theory at the end: Kylo turns on Snoke then makes another offer to Rey to join him; this time she accepts, because Luke hasn't been entirely honest, with her, and they team up because they're both sick of their respected masters.

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Fri 23 Jun - 3:31

I was just listening to Rey's spotify playlist and it has No one by Alicia Keys.

I just want you close
Where you can stay forever
You can be sure
That it will ony get better

You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry cause
Everything's gonna be alright
People keep talking they can say what they like
But all I know everything's gonna be alright

No one, no one, no one
Can get in the way of what I'm feeling
No one no one, no one
Can get in the way of what I feel for you, you, you
Can get in the way of what I feel for you

When the rain is pouring down
And my head is hurting
You will always be around
This I know for certain

You and me together
I don't worry cause
But all I know is everything's gonna be alright

No one, no one, no one
No one, no one, no one
Can get in they way of what I feel

I know some people search the world
To find something like we have
I know people will try, try to divide us something so real
So till the end of time I'm telling you there is no one

No one, no one
No one, no one, no one
Can get in the way of what I feel for you...
Ooooo ... oooo

I mean this has Reylo written all over it.

No one can get in the way what I feel for you, try to divide us, people jealous of having something so real, rain pouring down - we know on Ach-To, together through day and night like in the novelization Kylo showing to Rey in a daytime, in a nightmare.

Can they sing this for us in The Last Jedi?
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Fri 23 Jun - 3:43

DarthRen wrote:I was just listening to Rey's spotify playlist and it has No one by Alicia Keys.

I just want you close
You can be sure

You and me together
I don't worry cause

No one, no one, no one
No one no one, no one

And my head is hurting
This I know for certain

You and me together
I don't worry cause

No one, no one, no one
No one, no one, no one

No one, no one
No one, no one, no one
Ooooo ... oooo

No one can get in the way what I feel for you, try to divide us, people jealous of having something so real, rain pouring down - we know on Ach-To, together through day and night like in the novelization Kylo showing to Rey in a daytime, in a nightmare.

@DarthRen

Hmmm.. I don't remember seeing that song on the playlist last year. If so, then they must be updating the character playlists to go with the new movie. 

Tho I don't think the Spotify peeps are privy to any spoilery details, and these songs may be merely suggested, but it is a good Reylo song
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Fri 23 Jun - 3:48

Darth Dementor wrote:

I like Thor Skywalkers theory at the end:  Kylo turns on Snoke then makes another offer to Rey to join him; this time she accepts, because Luke hasn't been entirely honest, with her, and they team up because they're both sick of their respected masters.
@Darth Dementor

Yes, that end part is the only possibility that spoke to me.

I find it interesting that Thor repeatedly brings up the idea that Luke will turn out to be a villain or need to be defeated, which I don't think is going to happen. (Like Snoke and Luke will turn out to be equally bad? Nah...)

Also, he mentions the possibility of Kylo getting stronger from killing Han and going out for revenge on Rey. I think we all know that's not happening since the novel and JJ's commentary tell us that Kylo feels weakened and doesn't want to kill Rey. This will likely continue in TLJ and though he might play like he's out for revenge, that won't be the real reason he wants to get to Rey and Luke.
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 23 Jun - 4:27

Rei of Sunshine wrote:
DarthRen wrote:I was just listening to Rey's spotify playlist and it has No one by Alicia Keys.

I just want you close
You can be sure

You and me together
I don't worry cause

No one, no one, no one
No one no one, no one

And my head is hurting
This I know for certain

You and me together
I don't worry cause

No one, no one, no one
No one, no one, no one

No one, no one
No one, no one, no one
Ooooo ... oooo

@DarthRen

Hmmm.. I don't remember seeing that song on the playlist last year. If so, then they must be updating the character playlists to go with the new movie. 

Tho I don't think the Spotify peeps are privy to any spoilery details, and these songs may be merely suggested, but it is a good Reylo song
@Rei of Sunshine

Yeah, I just looked and I think some of the Kylo Ren stuff is new too. It does say they are "official" and "by Star Wars." Did we ever determine who creates the playlists? Is it just Spotify or is it Disney in some capacity? I remember talking about this a long time ago because Rey had ridiculously Reylo songs and Kylo did too, along with some really sympathetic songs. @"Darth Dingbat do you remember?
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum