The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Page 19 of 24 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Moonlight13 on Mon 10 Jul - 21:29

@SanghaRen wrote:I was looking at my feed in the official SW app and for whatever reason I get news in English and French - probably because I am in the French app store. All the feeds about TLJ still translate the title in plural form. It's really annoying me this whole dance around maybe it's plural, maybe it's singular. Do they realize how stupid it's going to look if the promotion uses the plural form everywhere and the movie confirms it's singular. Imagine the film opens with the title in plural form and you have Luke say "I am the last Jedi" in the film. TLJ the comedy. Sorry to open the subject again, but it gets to me that this is not clarified and settled. Unless it's not meant to be clarified, but then it's really a bad case for trying to get everyone on the same boat. I am still annoyed that they chose such a title that loses its potentially intentional duplicity in translation. Now if only I could find a way to not receive some of the news in French, I could forget about it and since I will watch the movie in OV, I'll be fine.
@SanghaRen
In Spanish it's also in plural.  Nope
Moonlight13
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Mon 10 Jul - 21:30

@SanghaRen

I think it's bizarre that all these foreign countries have translated it in the plural. Did they not ASK? Rian was really up front with the answer.
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Mon 10 Jul - 22:34

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:I was looking at my feed in the official SW app and for whatever reason I get news in English and French - probably because I am in the French app store. All the feeds about TLJ still translate the title in plural form. It's really annoying me this whole dance around maybe it's plural, maybe it's singular. Do they realize how stupid it's going to look if the promotion uses the plural form everywhere and the movie confirms it's singular. Imagine the film opens with the title in plural form and you have Luke say "I am the last Jedi" in the film. TLJ the comedy. Sorry to open the subject again, but it gets to me that this is not clarified and settled. Unless it's not meant to be clarified, but then it's really a bad case for trying to get everyone on the same boat. I am still annoyed that they chose such a title that loses its potentially intentional duplicity in translation. Now if only I could find a way to not receive some of the news in French, I could forget about it and since I will watch the movie in OV, I'll be fine.
@SanghaRen
In Spanish it's also in plural.  Nope
@Moonlight13

In Brazilian Portuguese too.
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Mon 10 Jul - 22:37

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@SanghaRen

I think it's bizarre that all these foreign countries have translated it in the plural. Did they not ASK? Rian was really up front with the answer.
@Cowgirlsamurai

It's more complicated than that. At least in Brazilian Portuguese, they needed to clarify not only if it's plural or singular, but also the gender.

"The Last Jedi" = "Os Últimos Jedi" (plural)

"Os", in Portuguese, when it's plural, can englobe both genders - because it works as a group. Meanwhile "O", in singular, means "a male" last jedi.
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Mon 10 Jul - 22:56

@Piper Maru

Spanish is the same way in that regard, right? The gender thing and the plural articles always overwhelmed me. But you would think that if it's something as big as Star Wars, they would clarify with LF as to how they could best translate it. Maybe LF didn't want them to give anything away to their audience and just told them to translate it as ambiguously as they could?

Japanese title doesn't give anything away. There are no articles and "Jedi" could be singular or plural, just like in English.
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Mon 10 Jul - 23:14

@Cowgirlsamurai
In Spanish it's the same: Los Últimos Jedi. "Los" can englobe both genders, as @Piper Maru said.
Moonlight13
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Mon 10 Jul - 23:25

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@Piper Maru

Spanish is the same way in that regard, right? The gender thing and the plural articles always overwhelmed me. But you would think that if it's something as big as Star Wars, they would clarify with LF as to how they could best translate it. Maybe LF didn't want them to give anything away to their audience and just told them to translate it as ambiguously as they could?

Japanese title doesn't give anything away. There are no articles and "Jedi" could be singular or plural, just like in English.
@Cowgirlsamurai

That's probably it. In Portuguese, any other variable (including changing to singular) would be spoiler-ish.

Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Tue 11 Jul - 12:40

In German it's plural too.
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Tue 11 Jul - 15:34

Same for the French version

reylo1992
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLastJedi on Tue 11 Jul - 15:52

It's very clearly plural in greek also, and people complain to the official page that the director said singular, but they insist on plural Very Happy Very Happy
TheLastJedi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by tintarelladiluna on Tue 11 Jul - 16:20

Same in Italian Neutral
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Mrs Ben Solo on Tue 11 Jul - 17:01

@vaderito wrote:There's a theory on YT that Finn's the last Jedi. I didn't tag it cause it doesn't deserve clicks but lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
@vaderito

Yeah, I've seen that. I've also seen a theory about him being Leia and Lando's love child (and Rey is his half-sister!) Rolling Eyes
Mrs Ben Solo
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Millicent the Cat on Tue 11 Jul - 17:38

Seriously, what's with people trying to make ALL of the new heroes related? Is it all because they can't accept Kylo as the last Skywalker?
Millicent the Cat
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Tue 11 Jul - 17:41

In polish it is translated as "Ostatni Jedi" and it is difficult to say if it is plural or singular because "Jedi" is not polish word and it could mean both: singular and plural. But the official Star Wars facebook inflect the adjective "ostatni" as it is meant to be for singular male. Very Happy
From what I have heard in Slovenian it is "Poslednij Jedi", so singular as well. Very Happy
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 11 Jul - 19:12

What gets to me with the plural/singular stuff is that it looks unprofessional. It feels as though a couple of 120% American dudes came up with it forgetting that there are other countries and languages on this planet. When a company comes up with a brand name, they usually check if it's not already taken and registered in their field of application by another company and if it doesn't have some unwanted meaning in any of the main languages. Obviously you cannot avoid that it doesn't have some strange meaning in some dialect spoken in a smaller part of the world. But here it's Disney. You cannot tell me there's no one there who speaks a latin-based language who could say "by the way, is it plural or singular and feminine or masculine?" So it comes back to a couple of dudes who did not see further as the tip of their noses as we say in French. Or Disney not caring. Great! Can't wait for the memes when they have to clarify.

Maybe it's still going to be ambiguous in the film so no need to clarify. Except in some countries they will think there's only one last Jedi, Luke, and in others they will think about whichever other people can be considered as Jedi. The international fandom caught in yet another conflict,

Anyways. I guess I am annoyed because it looks sloppy and there's a general trend for sloppiness in our world that irritates me. And I am not talking about being super structured and organized because I am a chaotic person myself. I am talking about trying to make it right from the start and if not correct it. Nowadays it's quicker, louder and who cares if it's sith, people will eat it anyway.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Sat 15 Jul - 20:13

Daisy training against multiple attackers with a staff.

Adam training against two stuntman with a staff and it might be Knight of Ren or some other member of FO.

It seems like a part of similar scene or same. Both facing multiple opponents and they have similar weapons.

The whole video of The Last Jedi Behind the scenes.

One of reports did mentioned someone looking at sky while Rey is watching him, in this Adam/Kylo is looking at the stars and being calm, while Rey is a lot more action packed.

Finn and Rose as FO officers, Finn and Rey reunited or Rey cliff scene confirmed.
DarthRen
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Sat 15 Jul - 22:13

@DarthRen wrote:Daisy training against multiple attackers with a staff.

Adam training against two stuntman with a staff and it might be Knight of Ren or some other member of FO.

It seems like a part of similar scene or same. Both facing multiple opponents and they have similar weapons.

One of reports did mentioned someone looking at sky while Rey is watching him, in this Adam/Kylo is looking at the stars and being calm, while Rey is a lot more action packed.

Finn and Rose as FO officers, Finn and Rey reunited or Rey cliff scene confirmed.
@DarthRen

What do you mean exactly by Kylo looking at the stars? I didn't notice it but maybe I didn't look well... By the way, you mention someone looking at the sky while Rey is watching him + Kylo looking at the stars with a calm expression.

With all the Ben/Rapunzel parallel, I can't help thinking of this scene...

By the way, Kylo looks definitely sooooo Prince-like, I mean not at all scary in this behind the scenes, especially in this shot. It doesn't even look like he has his scar there

reylo1992
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Sat 15 Jul - 23:47

@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Rey's biggest challenge is Kylo.

Kylo's biggest challenge is Rey.

Luke's biggest challenge are Rey and Kylo.

@vaderito

Luke "third wheel" Skywalker lol!
@Maria Antonietta

Just like when Ben's parents were courting each other LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 16 Jul - 0:46

@reylo1992 wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:Daisy training against multiple attackers with a staff.

@DarthRen

What do you mean exactly by Kylo looking at the stars? I didn't notice it but maybe I didn't look well... By the way, you mention someone looking at the sky while Rey is watching him + Kylo looking at the stars with a calm expression.

With all the Ben/Rapunzel parallel, I can't help thinking of this scene...

By the way, Kylo looks definitely sooooo Prince-like, I mean not at all scary in this behind the scenes, especially in this shot. It doesn't even look like he has his scar there
@reylo1992

All I can think of right now is @Sforza 's leak about a young man in a pith hat looking at the stars, and this is the part where Rey is confused about her feelings. Heck, our Beauty and the Beast thread's title is based on that!

Yeah.  Keep telling yourself that, buddy...
IoJovi

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Sun 16 Jul - 2:31

I'm curious as to who/what he's looking at here.
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by tukicarreno on Sun 16 Jul - 2:53

I am just catching up and I do have to say Adam looks so Prince like in  all of the shots.

tukicarreno
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 16 Jul - 3:32

@BigDeal2187 wrote:

I'm curious as to who/what he's looking at here.
@BigDeal2187

Are he and Hux (you can see red hair just a second later before the shot switches) getting reprimanded by Snoke? In the Spoilers topic some of us were thinking he was facing Rey...but if he's with Hux I'm not so sure now.
SheLitAFire
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sun 16 Jul - 14:07

This is random, but funny:

I showed the new posters to my mom and her first reaction was "WOW, so everybody is from the Dark Side now? Look at all this red!" Laughing
Piper Maru
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 24 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum