The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 8 Aug - 6:03

@snufkin wrote:Finally caught the PBS series Ireland's Wild Coast. The opening segment is about Skellig Michael's history, including the beehive huts/monastery and mostly about its bird colonies. Can definitely see if the Porgs are a tip of the hat to its ever present Puffins. One interesting detail (and the whole thing is in the first 20 minutes) are that birds coming in from sea typically land under darkness because of fighting over territory will happen otherwise. The photojournalist narrating/filming the series makes the point several time that the islands from that region, including Skellig, really do feel like sitting on the edge of the Earth and give you a sense of being in the past. The photography, especially in Imax 70mm for the Force plot part of the story is going to look amazing.



Those of you outside the States can likely watch the series if you have a VPN (like the Hola browser extension) set up to emulate a US IP address. Videos are up until the end of this month.
@snufkin

I'm seriously looking into visiting Skellig with my kids next year. The TripAdviser write up says it would be AMAZING experience. It would be quite easy for us to get a flight to Kerry and explore that Atlantic Coast


Last edited by MrsWindu on Tue 8 Aug - 6:09; edited 1 time in total
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 320
Likes : 1916
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 8 Aug - 6:05

@snufkin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:As as I'm very late to this can I ask how did those on the forum feel when those pics of Daisy, Mark and Adam arriving in Belfast came through? I wasn't very keen on the other SW forums and and although I'm not always the sharpest pencil in the box I couldn't see how what they kept saying over and over made much sense to move the Skywalker story forward in this trilogy.
@MrsWindu

The put it bluntly, we had a huge celebration on the forum the day that those paparazzi pics were posted.

For me, that was my "OMG, this really could happen" moment, instead of just thinking that it would be the more interesting story direction if LF had the guts...
@ISeeAnIsland

Same here. Like complete giddy shock that the suspicion I'd been harboring and then thought "nahhh, they won't do that" might actually have a chance.

@MrsWindu, from the Archives

When the paparazzi airport photos dropped (scroll down to @Kessel's comment on that page)

Rumored potential canoodling photo
@snufkin

Thanks so much - I felt like a stalker reading about it all....so fun and happy you all were.
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 320
Likes : 1916
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on Tue 8 Aug - 13:06

@MrsWindu - it was the biggest nerd out ever, my first thought was that it's going to be like The Tempest

avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 8 Aug - 13:25

@snufkin wrote:@MrsWindu - it was the biggest nerd out ever, my first thought was that it's going to be like The Tempest

@snufkin

hahaha - I bet!! I'm just glad I'll be officially here when we can pick apart the next trailer lol
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 320
Likes : 1916
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 8 Aug - 13:27

@MrsWindu wrote:
@snufkin wrote:Finally caught the PBS series Ireland's Wild Coast. The opening segment is about Skellig Michael's history, including the beehive huts/monastery and mostly about its bird colonies. Can definitely see if the Porgs are a tip of the hat to its ever present Puffins. One interesting detail (and the whole thing is in the first 20 minutes) are that birds coming in from sea typically land under darkness because of fighting over territory will happen otherwise. The photojournalist narrating/filming the series makes the point several time that the islands from that region, including Skellig, really do feel like sitting on the edge of the Earth and give you a sense of being in the past. The photography, especially in Imax 70mm for the Force plot part of the story is going to look amazing.



Those of you outside the States can likely watch the series if you have a VPN (like the Hola browser extension) set up to emulate a US IP address. Videos are up until the end of this month.
@snufkin

I'm seriously looking into visiting Skellig with my kids next year. The TripAdviser write up says it would be AMAZING experience. It would be quite easy for us to get a flight to Kerry and explore that Atlantic Coast
@MrsWindu

UPDATE... I AM going to Skellig Michael next year. I just booked accommodation in the port where the boat tours leave from
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 320
Likes : 1916
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on Tue 8 Aug - 14:28

@MrsWindu - lucky you! I wonder how much more tourism they'll be getting as world heritage site after TLJ comes out. The documentary they showed here in the States was beautiful. We have that same type of coastline here (Northern California) but likely more humans and no puffins/porgs to be found!
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 8 Aug - 17:04

@snufkin wrote:@MrsWindu - lucky you! I wonder how much more tourism they'll be getting as world heritage site after TLJ comes out. The documentary they showed here in the States was beautiful. We have that same type of coastline here (Northern California) but likely more humans and no puffins/porgs to be found!
@snufkin

I can only imagine its going to off the charts! I've been told to book a boat tour now for the very end of May to avoid disappointment. My kids are crazy excited and youngest wants to go dressed as Rey lol
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 320
Likes : 1916
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by nemapasara on Tue 8 Aug - 18:57

I know TvTropes is subjective but I do love all the tropes and I was looking through the TLJ page the other day. Loved this part in particular:

Good Scars, Evil Scars: Played with. Despite Rey cutting a large wound into his face with a lightsaber in the last film, the conflicted Kylo Ren has a clean, thin scarline going from his brow to his jaw, rather than a large ugly one. This is in contrast to the outright evil Big Bad, Supreme Leader Snoke, who has large disfiguring scars all over his face and body.

And from the actual "Good Scars, Evil Scars" trope page:

You can easily tell heroes from villains by their scars.
Good guys tend to scar in an attractive, fashionable manner — usually a single neat pale line, flush with the skin and placed in one of the following strategic locations: straight across one cheek, straight down from beneath the eye (popular with tough and/or grizzled characters), or straight up from the eyebrow.

The Anti-Hero can go either way. Anti heroes sometimes tend to have a scar starting from below the eye and ending above it while the eye itself is usually intact.
avatar
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 442
Likes : 3025
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-15
Localisation : Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Moonlight13 on Tue 8 Aug - 19:07

@nemapasara wrote:I know TvTropes is subjective but I do love all the tropes and I was looking through the TLJ page the other day. Loved this part in particular:

Good Scars, Evil Scars: Played with. Despite Rey cutting a large wound into his face with a lightsaber in the last film, the conflicted Kylo Ren has a clean, thin scarline going from his brow to his jaw, rather than a large ugly one. This is in contrast to the outright evil Big Bad, Supreme Leader Snoke, who has large disfiguring scars all over his face and body.

And from the actual "Good Scars, Evil Scars" trope page:

You can easily tell heroes from villains by their scars.
Good guys tend to scar in an attractive, fashionable manner — usually a single neat pale line, flush with the skin and placed in one of the following strategic locations: straight across one cheek, straight down from beneath the eye (popular with tough and/or grizzled characters), or straight up from the eyebrow.

The Anti-Hero can go either way. Anti heroes sometimes tend to have a scar starting from below the eye and ending above it while the eye itself is usually intact.
@nemapasara
That's awesome... Claps Jumping
avatar
Moonlight13
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 423
Likes : 1909
Date d'inscription : 2017-06-15
Age : 23
Localisation : Argentina

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by nemapasara on Tue 8 Aug - 19:16

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@nemapasara wrote:I know TvTropes is subjective but I do love all the tropes and I was looking through the TLJ page the other day. Loved this part in particular:

Good Scars, Evil Scars: Played with. Despite Rey cutting a large wound into his face with a lightsaber in the last film, the conflicted Kylo Ren has a clean, thin scarline going from his brow to his jaw, rather than a large ugly one. This is in contrast to the outright evil Big Bad, Supreme Leader Snoke, who has large disfiguring scars all over his face and body.

And from the actual "Good Scars, Evil Scars" trope page:

You can easily tell heroes from villains by their scars.
Good guys tend to scar in an attractive, fashionable manner — usually a single neat pale line, flush with the skin and placed in one of the following strategic locations: straight across one cheek, straight down from beneath the eye (popular with tough and/or grizzled characters), or straight up from the eyebrow.

The Anti-Hero can go either way. Anti heroes sometimes tend to have a scar starting from below the eye and ending above it while the eye itself is usually intact.
@nemapasara
That's awesome... Claps Jumping
@Moonlight13

Here's another one:

avatar
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 442
Likes : 3025
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-15
Localisation : Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 10 Aug - 1:58

I still chuckle at Rian's decision to move Kylo's scar; if someone was hit across the eye with a lightsabre it would without a shadow of a doubt cause serious damage to said eye...
It does however give him a resemblance to one of celluloid's most famous antiheroes: the Outlaw Josey Wales.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2212
Likes : 9112
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by cnunn on Mon 14 Aug - 11:35

So this is random, but it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I'm currently obsessing: do we think Rey actually knows that Kylo is Han and Leia's son? I mean, we assume so, but Han never said anything to her, and the most Kylo said about the matter was that line about how Han Solo would have disappointed her as a father. And I don't think she could have overheard their conversation on the catwalk, before Kylo kills Han. My point is, do we think that Luke tells her the condensed story of Ben Solo at some point early in TLJ? And maybe that could be the point where she starts to have inklings of compassion for him, being stalked by Snoke his whole life, etc?

Daisy's interview the other day was interesting, where she was speaking to the fact that Rey, having no parents, couldn't understand why someone who had them would kill his own father - but this conflict within herself could cause some interesting developments in her feelings towards Kylo. And I wouldn't be mad if Luke throws in an anecdote about young Ben doing something cute. Thoughts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this, and Rey already realizes that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, and Luke's nephew.

cnunn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 14
Likes : 64
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 14 Aug - 11:41

@cnunn wrote:So this is random, but it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I'm currently obsessing: do we think Rey actually knows that Kylo is Han and Leia's son? I mean, we assume so, but Han never said anything to her, and the most Kylo said about the matter was that line about how Han Solo would have disappointed her as a father. And I don't think she could have overheard their conversation on the catwalk, before Kylo kills Han. My point is, do we think that Luke tells her the condensed story of Ben Solo at some point early in TLJ? And maybe that could be the point where she starts to have inklings of compassion for him, being stalked by Snoke his whole life, etc?

Daisy's interview the other day was interesting, where she was speaking to the fact that Rey, having no parents, couldn't understand why someone who had them would kill his own father - but this conflict within herself could cause some interesting developments in her feelings towards Kylo. And I wouldn't be mad if Luke throws in an anecdote about young Ben doing something cute. Thoughts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this, and Rey already realizes that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, and Luke's nephew.
@cnunn
I could be remembering things wrong, but I believe JJ or someone else said that Rey did overhear Han saying "face of my son" and parts of the catwalk conversation before the stabbing. This is corroborated by Daisy's recent interview where she said she doesn't understand how someone who has parents and a family could do what Kylo did. I'm pretty sure she starts off TLJ knowing at the very least that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid and Luke's nephew.
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 3540
Likes : 30635
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by tintarelladiluna on Mon 14 Aug - 11:58

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@cnunn wrote:So this is random, but it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I'm currently obsessing: do we think Rey actually knows that Kylo is Han and Leia's son? I mean, we assume so, but Han never said anything to her, and the most Kylo said about the matter was that line about how Han Solo would have disappointed her as a father. And I don't think she could have overheard their conversation on the catwalk, before Kylo kills Han. My point is, do we think that Luke tells her the condensed story of Ben Solo at some point early in TLJ? And maybe that could be the point where she starts to have inklings of compassion for him, being stalked by Snoke his whole life, etc?

Daisy's interview the other day was interesting, where she was speaking to the fact that Rey, having no parents, couldn't understand why someone who had them would kill his own father - but this conflict within herself could cause some interesting developments in her feelings towards Kylo. And I wouldn't be mad if Luke throws in an anecdote about young Ben doing something cute. Thoughts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this, and Rey already realizes that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, and Luke's nephew.
@cnunn
I could be remembering things wrong, but I believe JJ or someone else said that Rey did overhear Han saying "face of my son" and parts of the catwalk conversation before the stabbing. This is corroborated by Daisy's recent interview where she said she doesn't understand how someone who has parents and a family could do what Kylo did. I'm pretty sure she starts off TLJ knowing at the very least that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid and Luke's nephew.
@FrolickingFizzgig

There's also a quote from the novelization at page 258:


It seems to imply that Leia and Rey had a conversation about Kylo Wink
avatar
tintarelladiluna
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 56
Likes : 231
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-25
Age : 19
Localisation : Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by cnunn on Mon 14 Aug - 12:08

@tintarelladiluna wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@cnunn wrote:So this is random, but it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I'm currently obsessing: do we think Rey actually knows that Kylo is Han and Leia's son? I mean, we assume so, but Han never said anything to her, and the most Kylo said about the matter was that line about how Han Solo would have disappointed her as a father. And I don't think she could have overheard their conversation on the catwalk, before Kylo kills Han. My point is, do we think that Luke tells her the condensed story of Ben Solo at some point early in TLJ? And maybe that could be the point where she starts to have inklings of compassion for him, being stalked by Snoke his whole life, etc?

Daisy's interview the other day was interesting, where she was speaking to the fact that Rey, having no parents, couldn't understand why someone who had them would kill his own father - but this conflict within herself could cause some interesting developments in her feelings towards Kylo. And I wouldn't be mad if Luke throws in an anecdote about young Ben doing something cute. Thoughts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this, and Rey already realizes that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, and Luke's nephew.
@cnunn
I could be remembering things wrong, but I believe JJ or someone else said that Rey did overhear Han saying "face of my son" and parts of the catwalk conversation before the stabbing. This is corroborated by Daisy's recent interview where she said she doesn't understand how someone who has parents and a family could do what Kylo did. I'm pretty sure she starts off TLJ knowing at the very least that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid and Luke's nephew.
@FrolickingFizzgig

There's also a quote from the novelization at page 258:


It seems to imply that Leia and Rey had a conversation about Kylo Wink
@tintarelladiluna

Good catch on the novelization! I missed that.

cnunn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 14
Likes : 64
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 on Mon 14 Aug - 12:41

@cnunn wrote:So this is random, but it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I'm currently obsessing: do we think Rey actually knows that Kylo is Han and Leia's son? I mean, we assume so, but Han never said anything to her, and the most Kylo said about the matter was that line about how Han Solo would have disappointed her as a father. And I don't think she could have overheard their conversation on the catwalk, before Kylo kills Han. My point is, do we think that Luke tells her the condensed story of Ben Solo at some point early in TLJ? And maybe that could be the point where she starts to have inklings of compassion for him, being stalked by Snoke his whole life, etc?

Daisy's interview the other day was interesting, where she was speaking to the fact that Rey, having no parents, couldn't understand why someone who had them would kill his own father - but this conflict within herself could cause some interesting developments in her feelings towards Kylo. And I wouldn't be mad if Luke throws in an anecdote about young Ben doing something cute. Thoughts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this, and Rey already realizes that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, and Luke's nephew.
@cnunn

@cnunn wrote:So this is random, but it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I'm currently obsessing: do we think Rey actually knows that Kylo is Han and Leia's son? I mean, we assume so, but Han never said anything to her, and the most Kylo said about the matter was that line about how Han Solo would have disappointed her as a father. And I don't think she could have overheard their conversation on the catwalk, before Kylo kills Han. My point is, do we think that Luke tells her the condensed story of Ben Solo at some point early in TLJ? And maybe that could be the point where she starts to have inklings of compassion for him, being stalked by Snoke his whole life, etc?

Daisy's interview the other day was interesting, where she was speaking to the fact that Rey, having no parents, couldn't understand why someone who had them would kill his own father - but this conflict within herself could cause some interesting developments in her feelings towards Kylo. And I wouldn't be mad if Luke throws in an anecdote about young Ben doing something cute. Thoughts? Or maybe I'm reading too much into this, and Rey already realizes that Kylo is Han and Leia's son, and Luke's nephew.
@cnunn

I'm pretty sure she does. As does Finn.
Look at their expressions here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh-zGP-LcQQ
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2212
Likes : 9112
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on Mon 14 Aug - 13:12

Oh she absolutely knows, first from hearing Han calling him "my son." The pensive then heartbroken/furious response points to her knowing even more from what she saw in him. Plus she's the person who was with Leia afterwards, so she knows. She's like Han, an outsider drafted to help who becomes and reluctant hero who's ultimately entangled with this family. And that's what Ache-to points to, she'll learn even more of their secrets, including what really happened with Luke and Ben. That's going to happen in tandem with her finally not being able to outrun her own family demons with being abandoned as a child.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 16 Aug - 15:42

New interview with Rian on the Star Wars show:



Nothing really new here, although he does look pretty adorable.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4822
Likes : 25313
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 16 Aug - 18:27

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:New interview with Rian on the Star Wars show:



Nothing really new here, although he does look pretty adorable.
@ISeeAnIsland

HE'S MINE
avatar
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2666
Likes : 11836
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 31
Localisation : Italia

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by kroi on Wed 16 Aug - 22:48

Saw this 'Mommy & Me' costume on Zulily and cracked up... is this Rey with her & Kylo's son dressed up as great-grandpa?!  Laughing  
avatar
kroi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 162
Likes : 895
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 16 Aug - 22:57

@kroi wrote:Saw this 'Mommy & Me' costume on Zulily and cracked up... is this Rey with her & Kylo's son dressed up as great-grandpa?!  Laughing  
@kroi

I was seriously thinking about getting those for my son and I, lol. But then I thought I'd rather be Kylo so we could be baddies together Twisted Evil I'll wait till it gets closer to Halloween, but he's dead set on Vader.
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1248
Likes : 5851
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by SanghaRen on Fri 18 Aug - 6:17

I read in an article that maybe the Praetorian Guards and the KOR could be one and the same. It was not a spoiler article just an idea thrown into the mix due to the red dudes (& gals?) showing up everywhere and getting their toys too. I don't think they are the same, but it just then occured to me that maybe they are from the same elite group trained together in the same school and that the best of the best have the honor of becoming Snoke's Praetorian Guards while the second best ones join the Knights of Ren. Was that ever discussed as a possibility and I missed it?
avatar
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1483
Likes : 7511
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28
Localisation : French living in Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Lily Snape on Sun 20 Aug - 2:30

@SanghaRen wrote:I read in an article that maybe the Praetorian Guards and the KOR could be one and the same. It was not a spoiler article just an idea thrown into the mix due to the red dudes (& gals?) showing up everywhere and getting their toys too. I don't think they are the same, but it just then occured to me that maybe they are from the same elite group trained together in the same school and that the best of the best have the honor of becoming Snoke's Praetorian Guards while the second best ones join the Knights of Ren. Was that ever discussed as a possibility and I missed it?
@SanghaRen

I think the Praetorian Guards look more like a toy for kids than the KOR do-- the KOR look like an apocalyptic motorcycle gang.  And I hate to be cynical, but "apocalyptic motorcycle gang" doesn't sell Happy Meals.  Wink
avatar
Lily Snape
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 363
Likes : 1878
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by Helix on Tue 22 Aug - 23:08



They demand sacrifice.
avatar
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2493
Likes : 10416
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by snufkin on Wed 23 Aug - 22:26

Not a surprise here, but the crux of Vulture's article about watching a film w/the sound off to appreciate the visual storytelling is centered on TFA and snow fight (no mention of @MeadowofAshes' d*ckfinger though!)

Watching a movie in this way can also give me a newfound appreciation for something I’ve already seen. I’m a big fan of the Best Picture winner Spotlight, though I never really understood how Rachel McAdams managed a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her competent, unshowy work in the film. When I watched someone else watch Spotlight on a plane, however, I was blown away by the performance McAdams gave in the scene where she confronts a priest who confesses all too readily to awful crimes. Watch it again with the sound off: As her character tries to keep it together and press further despite her clear astonishment, the competing emotions that flicker on McAdams’s face had me evaluating her in a whole new light. It’s marvelous work, and watching someone else’s in-flight film really makes you appreciate movie stars all the more: When you’ve got little besides these faces to orient you, it helps to have damn good ones to stare at.

I thought maybe I was the only oddball who watches movies this way, but when I spoke to Baby Driver director Edgar Wright last week just before he was about to board a long flight to Beijing, the subject came up and he laughed. “I know exactly what you mean, and I do that, too!” he said. “Here’s an interesting thing: People say that when a film has great visual storytelling, you can follow it with the sound turned off. Sometimes I do exactly that when I watch a film over somebody’s shoulder, or even when they have the film on in the middle of the aisle and you have to put the headphones on to watch it. I don’t put the headphones on but I can completely follow the movie.”

And when a movie works on that level, it really works. The Force Awakens pays homage to other Star Wars movie but doesn’t offer the same instantly iconic lines, and the plotting and motivations are often needlessly convoluted. Still, when I watch people watch the film on an airplane, there’s no denying that perfectly shot and edited third-act sequence where Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) tries to summon a lightsaber his way, only for it to fly past him and land in the outstretched grip of Force-wielding Rey (Daisy Ridley). Shorn of its John Williams score, the sequence still slays, and it’s a reminder to filmmakers that when you can boil something down to its barest visual essence and still convey everything the viewer needs to know, you’re really cooking.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 6124
Likes : 26692
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum