The Rey Kenobi Files

Page 5 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Rey Kenobi Files

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 9 Mar 2017 - 1:12

I really don't understand scratch why Mike Zeroh's speculations get picked up by media outlets..
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 9 Mar 2017 - 12:15

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Thu 9 Mar 2017 - 14:15

Before screening the footage, Disney CEO Bob Iger addressed the audience. “We make a point of revealing very little from our upcoming Star Wars films,” he said. “We want to keep them secret. But we’re making an exception today. We’re going to show you an exclusive first look at what happens right after that scene, and that lightsaber being handed to its rightful owner.”

No Anaikin's saber is not Rey's heritage saber or Exacalibur...

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 10 Mar 2017 - 22:13

OMG Maul is such a Drama Lama.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Fri 10 Mar 2017 - 22:45

spacebaby45678 wrote:Before screening the footage, Disney CEO Bob Iger addressed the audience. “We make a point of revealing very little from our upcoming Star Wars films,” he said. “We want to keep them secret. But we’re making an exception today. We’re going to show you an exclusive first look at what happens right after that scene, and that lightsaber being handed to its rightful owner.”

@spacebaby45678

Don't tell that to Reywalkers! cause this is a really good point. "Rightful owner".
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 10 Mar 2017 - 23:07

vaderito wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:Before screening the footage, Disney CEO Bob Iger addressed the audience. “We make a point of revealing very little from our upcoming Star Wars films,” he said. “We want to keep them secret. But we’re making an exception today. We’re going to show you an exclusive first look at what happens right after that scene, and that lightsaber being handed to its rightful owner.”

@spacebaby45678

Don't tell that to Reywalkers! cause this is a really good point. "Rightful owner".
@vaderito

Unfortunately, even this was brushed aside... you are going to have to rip Rey Solo/ Skywalker from their cold dead hands... Oh the weeping , wailing and gnashing of teeth when the final reveal happens be it Random or Kenobi

I hope we can all be there for the schadenfreude Smile

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sat 11 Mar 2017 - 0:45

@spacebaby45678

Wow, now this is definitely a nail in the coffin for Rey Skywalker.

If Rey was a legacy she would be the 'rightful owner'. But she's not.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 5:12

Hi all.  First post here so I thought I would try something interesting (hopefully).  I was thinking about Rey's character and her role in this story, and the parallels between her and Obi Wan Kenobi.  But as you guys have been talking about there are also parallels in the narrative structure and events of Rey's and Obi Wan's life/character as noticed when comparing the sequel trilogy (ST) and the previous movies.  I was thinking of how best to visualize all this and explain it in a way where you could see the similarities and connections, particularly with a view to the identity of Rey (as a Kenobi-type character).  So here's what I came up with:

So to set the scene here, the person in corner A is the main protagonist, the person in corner C is the central character, and the person in corner B plays the wise person/Master Jedi type character.  So there are certainly parallels between the characters but also between the relationships (as represented by the lines).  Take some time to think them through and you'll see.

Not all the parallels work perfectly though so you can't just put an equals sign between the two triangles.  This is for a few reasons.  First, Kylo Ren isn't quite the same as Darth Vader, although there are many parallels between them.  Second, we have a new character in the second triangle -- Rey -- while Luke remains but in a different role.  And last but not least, Obi Wan's role changed in the prequel trilogy (PT) from a padawan to a Master, and his role changed from the main protagonist in the PT to a Master Jedi in the original trilogy (OT) (I thought of doing a third triangle to represent the PT but I didn't want to complicate things more than they are).

Neverthless, when you take the time to compare the two triangles, you start to see all of the parallels between the characters in the ST and the previous movies, as well as the parallels between the relationships, and the parallels between the events that took place (and will take place) involving these characters.  There are too many to list so I won't put them all here.

But who plays the Obi Wan Kenobi type character in the ST?  I would argue there are actually three, but only one can be a Kenobi genetically for the triangles/parallels/mirrors to work.  Han plays a type of Obi Wan in the sense that he imparts some wisdom about the force to Rey (and Finn) while on the Falcon, just as Obi Wan did for Luke, and just as Luke saw Vader kill Obi Wan in the OT so also Rey sees Kylo kill Han in TFA (so don't worry, Kylo won't kill Luke, that parallel has already been completed).  And, of course, Luke Skywalker has an Obi Wan Kenobi type role to play as Master Jedi to Rey in the ST just as Obi Wan did for Luke in the OT (and just as Obi Wan did for Anakin in the PT).  But, 'there is another' = Rey.

I don't believe that Rey's only role in the ST will be as the Obi Wan type character a la the PT, though this is certainly a significant part of it.  She also has a Luke Skywalker type role to play a la the OT as the main protaganist (so I can empathize with Reywalkers but I don't agree with them about Rey's 'bloodline').  I also think her role is as a one-of-a-kind type character whose purpose is to broaden and expand the Star Wars story beyond the traditional story (this is why I empathize with people who see her lineage as something new/unknown).  I also think that at some point in the future she will also have a Padme type role to play as the mother of the next generation of protagonist(s) with Ben Solo as the father (the mirrors/parallels only work if Kylo is redeemed -- so there you have it, Reylo shippers!).

Just as we have an older Skywalker in the first triangle (Anakin) so we also have an older Skywalker in the second triangle (Luke).  Just as we have a younger Skywalker in the first triangle (Luke) so we also have a younger Skywalker in the second triangle (Ben/Kylo).  And the younger Skywalker in the second triangle has to be Ben/Kylo and not Rey because just as we have a Kenobi in the first triangle so we also have a Kenobi in the second triangle: REY!!

Last edited by BigDeal2187 on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 6:38; edited 1 time in total
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 6:04

spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678

Ooh, interesting!  I'm thinking more along the lines though that Obi-Wan was giving  Rey some comforting words during the force back. Just like a parent comforting a child with nightmares. But still I like Mike Zeros theory that he will talk to her in the future revealing her identity.
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 17:14

@BigDeal2187

Great analysis, and you mentioned two points I think people forget to consider.

1) In Episode VII, Rey's hero journey has similarities to Obi-Wan's narrative. She's far from being a mentor archetype, but her narrative beats parallel Obi-Wan's. She finds the droid with secret information, she finds the Skywalker saber and delivers it to Luke, and she fights a Skywalker in the climax.

2) Some fans treat Rey as a proxy for Luke forgetting the simple fact that Luke is already on the narrative. There's no need for a second Luke (in the form of his child) because he's already there.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 19:51

Meanwhile sneaking around on StarKiller base and the DeathStar... Smile

https://instagram.com/p/BQvr51KATDg/
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 20:44

@BigDeal2187

Welcome and great first comment! The ST needs a Kenobi type in more ways than one, Rey has parallels to Obi in relation to Luke & Kylo.. With Luke believe it or not is old Kenobi calling Luke back to adventure... with Kylo it is as teacher again.. she gave him the same lesson that Anakin learned on Mustafar...
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sun 12 Mar 2017 - 21:39

spacebaby45678 wrote:Meanwhile sneaking around on StarKiller base and the DeathStar... Smile

@spacebaby45678

Wow, I completely missed that.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 2:28

spacebaby45678 wrote:Meanwhile sneaking around on StarKiller base and the DeathStar... Smile

@spacebaby45678

There are advantages to watching in different mediums. Theater is the whole experience but that particular line of dialogue I noticed on my first viewing on laptop and then it got really interesting once I re-watched the first movie. The cat and mouse chase between the two of them on SKB is the stealth callback while Poe's trying to blow it up. There are so many details which mirror Vader and Obi-Wan during that sequence. And video is when I first noticed how much the Space Skype with Snoke segment is meant to mirror Vader and the Emperor's very tense discussion about Luke in ESB.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 6:07

Re: Obi-Wan's lightsaber, I would find the following options really interesting:

1. Kylo does have Obi-Wan's lightsaber, and he needs a new one (Rey broke the crystal when she broke his old light saber), so he uses the crystal from Obi-Wan's lightsaber to construct his new saber, and the crystal turns red (it bleeds). Then he fights Rey with Obi-Wan's crystal, while she's wielding Anakin's old lightsaber.

2. The busted crystal in Kylo Ren's lightsaber in Ep. 7 was actually from Obi-Wan's lightsaber, and after Rey's lineage is revealed he comments on how he would return her rightful crystal for a trade but unfortunately she destroyed it the last time they fought. In this case, maybe Ben Solo always had Obi-Wan's lightsaber (Anakin's old saber wasn't his before). Or, perhaps he had Anakin's old saber until shortly after he turned and then later found Obi-Wan's in Darth Vader's Mustafar castle.

3. Luke has Obi-Wan's lightsaber and *somehow* (massive retcon) Kylo Ren ends up with Vader's old lightsaber, which somehow survived the destruction of the 2nd Death Star. I was thinking of this when I saw concept art of the Emperor's throne room underwater... so the idea would be somehow it fell to Endor with the debris from the destruction and ended up at the bottom of a lake or something. Rey constructs her new lightsaber using Obi-Wan's old one.

If Rey constructs a new lightsaber it would amazing if it was purple or something other than blue or green. Though I guess the crystal wouldn't change from blue to purple... so then she'd need a new crystal. So perhaps save this for Episode 9!
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 6:18

snufkin wrote:

@spacebaby45678

There are advantages to watching in different mediums. Theater is the whole experience but that particular line of dialogue I noticed on my first viewing on laptop and then it got really interesting once I re-watched the first movie. The cat and mouse chase between the two of them on SKB is the stealth callback while Poe's trying to blow it up. There are so many details which mirror Vader and Obi-Wan during that sequence. And video is when I first noticed how much the Space Skype with Snoke segment is meant to mirror Vader and the Emperor's very tense discussion about Luke in ESB.
@snufkin

Yup, there is no way one could catch those details in the first, second or third viewings in the theater. It never occurred to me either until I could see the movie on video and compare to the OT & PT. If Rey is not related to Obi, I don't see the point of including a detail like this one. It is completely unnecessary and lends nothing to the narrative of TFA at all. JJ could have skipped it and the movie would be no better or worse. If she turns out not to be related to Obi, then this kind of detail will irritate because TFA really did not have to be so derivative.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 6:21

Acritiqua wrote:Re: Obi-Wan's lightsaber, I would find the following options really interesting:

1. Kylo does have Obi-Wan's lightsaber, and he needs a new one (Rey broke the crystal when she broke his old light saber), so he uses the crystal from Obi-Wan's lightsaber to construct his new saber, and the crystal turns red (it bleeds). Then he fights Rey with Obi-Wan's crystal, while she's wielding Anakin's old lightsaber.

2. The busted crystal in Kylo Ren's lightsaber in Ep. 7 was actually from Obi-Wan's lightsaber, and after Rey's lineage is revealed he comments on how he would return her rightful crystal for a trade but unfortunately she destroyed it the last time they fought. In this case, maybe Ben Solo always had Obi-Wan's lightsaber (Anakin's old saber wasn't his before). Or, perhaps he had Anakin's old saber until shortly after he turned and then later found Obi-Wan's in Darth Vader's Mustafar castle.

3. Luke has Obi-Wan's lightsaber and *somehow* (massive retcon) Kylo Ren ends up with Vader's old lightsaber, which somehow survived the destruction of the 2nd Death Star. I was thinking of this when I saw concept art of the Emperor's throne room underwater... so the idea would be somehow it fell to Endor with the debris from the destruction and ended up at the bottom of a lake or something. Rey constructs her new lightsaber using Obi-Wan's old one.

If Rey constructs a new lightsaber it would amazing if it was purple or something other than blue or green. Though I guess the crystal wouldn't change from blue to purple... so then she'd need a new crystal. So perhaps save this for Episode 9!
@Acritiqua

My opinion is that the Knights of Ren are relic hunters, and it the rumors are true that they base themselves out of Vader's castle then I could totally see Obi's Saber being left there by Darth Vader and Kylo finding it.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 6:50

spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin

Yup, there is no way one could catch those details in the first, second or third viewings in the theater. It never occurred to me either until I could see the movie on video and compare to the OT & PT. If Rey is not related to Obi, I don't see the point of including a detail like this one. It is completely unnecessary and lends nothing to the narrative of TFA at all. JJ could have skipped it and the movie would be no better or worse. If she turns out not to be related to Obi, then this kind of detail will irritate because TFA really did not have to be so derivative.

@spacebaby45678

Agreed. I mean, they have Poe tell Finn "stay sharp," which is what Han tells Luke when they have to fight off the Ties. Or Rey calling the MF "garbage" because escaping via garbage is in the first two movies. But the # of details for the SKB sequence is so many additional details. Unless JJ just went a little nuts and thought it was cool to throw all of that in there.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 14:57

Piper Maru wrote:@BigDeal2187

Great analysis, and you mentioned two points I think people forget to consider.

1) In Episode VII, Rey's hero journey has similarities to Obi-Wan's narrative. She's far from being a mentor archetype, but her narrative beats parallel Obi-Wan's. She finds the droid with secret information, she finds the Skywalker saber and delivers it to Luke, and she fights a Skywalker in the climax.

2) Some fans treat Rey as a proxy for Luke forgetting the simple fact that Luke is already on the narrative. There's no need for a second Luke (in the form of his child) because he's already there.
@Piper Maru

Thanks. Yes and yes!
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 15:56

spacebaby45678 wrote:@BigDeal2187

Welcome and great first comment! The ST needs a Kenobi type in more ways than one, Rey has parallels to Obi in relation to Luke & Kylo.. With Luke believe it or not is old Kenobi calling Luke back to adventure... with Kylo it is as teacher again.. she gave him the same lesson that Anakin learned on Mustafar...
@spacebaby45678

Thanks. Yes and yes! And you guys have done a fantastic job in this forum identifying all the links/connections/mirrors/parallels between Obi Wan and Rey.

There's also another Kenobi type character in TFA that I forgot to mention in my previous post: Lor San Tekka. His confrontation with Kylo mirrors that of Obi Wan's confrontation with Vader. Not perfectly of course but there's a parallel there.

There are so many Kenobi call backs and parallels in this movie that I'm starting to wonder whether this movie is in part (not the whole purpose but in part) about the resolution/convergence of the Skywalker-Kenobi relationship in Rey and Kylo (Ben) in order to bring balance to the force. (It would make sense out of what appears to be going on with the Skywalker & Kenobi light sabers if our suspicions are correct). It may seem odd to some that Kenobi and Skywalker should be considered on the same level, but people who aren't that familiar with the prequels likely don't fully appreciate the significance of the Obi Wan character. He defeated Maul, Grevious, Anakin, he was a faithful Jedi, patient, wise and powerful, helped preserve the the Skywalker twins, and propelled Luke onto his journey.

It would be very cool if Rey's lineage went back to the original Jedi and to Obi Wan. If she did end up romantically with Kylo Ren, their offspring would genetically combine almost all the main characters from the previous movies. Hmmm... And when you think back to all the previous movies and the main relationships that drive the story forward, as well as the romantic(?) relationships that produce the next generation of Skywalker -- these two lines appear to be coming together in the Rey - Kylo relationship dynamic. Or maybe I've gone to far here?! Smile Anyways, fun to think about.
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 21:15

Ewan McGregor did an AMA for Reddit this morning, answers zero Star Wars related questions. He does however answer questions about Velvet Goldmine, Trainspotting, and Fargo season 3. The highlights.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 23:12

BigDeal2187 wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:@BigDeal2187

@spacebaby45678

Thanks. Yes and yes! And you guys have done a fantastic job in this forum identifying all the links/connections/mirrors/parallels between Obi Wan and Rey.

There's also another Kenobi type character in TFA that I forgot to mention in my previous post: Lor San Tekka. His confrontation with Kylo mirrors that of Obi Wan's confrontation with Vader. Not perfectly of course but there's a parallel there.

There are so many Kenobi call backs and parallels in this movie that I'm starting to wonder whether this movie is in part (not the whole purpose but in part) about the resolution/convergence of the Skywalker-Kenobi relationship in Rey and Kylo (Ben) in order to bring balance to the force. (It would make sense out of what appears to be going on with the Skywalker & Kenobi light sabers if our suspicions are correct). It may seem odd to some that Kenobi and Skywalker should be considered on the same level, but people who aren't that familiar with the prequels likely don't fully appreciate the significance of the Obi Wan character. He defeated Maul, Grevious, Anakin, he was a faithful Jedi, patient, wise and powerful, helped preserve the the Skywalker twins, and propelled Luke onto his journey.

It would be very cool if Rey's lineage went back to the original Jedi and to Obi Wan. If she did end up romantically with Kylo Ren, their offspring would genetically combine almost all the main characters from the previous movies. Hmmm... And when you think back to all the previous movies and the main relationships that drive the story forward, as well as the romantic(?) relationships that produce the next generation of Skywalker -- these two lines appear to be coming together in the Rey - Kylo relationship dynamic. Or maybe I've gone to far here?! Smile Anyways, fun to think about.
@BigDeal2187

Oh, you're not going too far at all.

Kylo is literally the offspring of the two romances from Star Wars: Padmé & Anakin, Leia & Han.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 13 Mar 2017 - 23:49

snufkin wrote:Ewan McGregor did an AMA for Reddit this morning, answers zero Star Wars related questions. He does however answer questions about Velvet Goldmine, Trainspotting, and Fargo season 3. The highlights.

@snufkin

I tell ya! That is the first time I have seen Ewan NOT answer a Star Wars question and with the interview with Frank Oz and his not comment I think both Yoda and Obi just might be making appearances in EP8 of some sort, maybe just voice overs. Who knows.

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 14 Mar 2017 - 0:05

To bad this was a deleted scene, I love how Anakin is always calling Obi out, he is the only one telling the truth. Laughing

Anakin: “I don’t mean to point this out, but it’s kind of strange to see you…well, acting like me.”

Obi-wan: “I’m not sure what you mean, Anakin.”

Anakin: “You’re putting your relationship with Satine ahead of what the Jedi Council wants.”

Obi-wan: “Really? I’m simply helping Satine in her time of trouble. The policies of the Chancellor and the Jedi often don’t meet eye-to-eye these days.”

Anakin: “Hey, look. If you want some time alone with your girlfriend, just say so.”

(start at 21:37. This is not JAT voicing Obi-wan, obviously.)

I don’t care if this is not fully finished with the animation or voicing - it’s canon.

http://legobiwan.tumblr.com/post/158367966649/anakin-i-dont-mean-to-point-this-out-but-its
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 14 Mar 2017 - 0:05

@spacebaby45678 - I was sad for a minute to find out after it was over, because the previous AMA I signed up for, Anthony Bourdain answered my question. Although when it comes to Ewan, I'd lose my brain and start typing gibberish because he's just so ridiculously cute and funny.

Haha, yeah I saw some down thread comments in the ignored Star Wars questions section where people were speculating that he's deliberately ignorning Obi-Wan and ST questions because he's keeping a secret. Guess we'll find out eventually if he did that because of the ST or if he's just tired of getting asked about it.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum