DarthRen wrote:
Gemini wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:Myth 101

Wonder Woman - Diana
American Gods - Shadow Moon
Game of Thrones - Jon Snow
Star Wars - Rey

What do they all have in common? Is a single one of these protagonists just no one? With Diana her mystery parentage is answered within the first movie. I figured out Shadow Moon's father after the second episode. Something happens to Shadow that happened to his father making a direct link...

@spacebaby45678

They all have a very powerful bloodline but they're not defined by it. They're good people in the core whether Jon, Rey or Diana. All of them protagonists and starting as not really nobody, but slowly progressing to their epic journey. Jon Snow's parentage is not really a secret or not it ever was that much. If you read the books, you'll notice details and this past season pretty much confirmed that theory.
@DarthRen

The books have many clues but the show does not portray it that way.

It  was a secret with some hints scattered throughout the book

The same can be said about kenobi hints being  scattered throughout TFA
@Gemini

My girlfriend figured that out in season 4. A lot of other people did too, not like show totally excluded it but had to reduce certain clues that might have been too obvious. Due to timeline, Jon is a Stark but not Ned's. Who else? Benjen was at Winterfell during that time and Brandon dead. Only think to figured out his father and the most logical were the guy who kidnapped or run off with Lyanna.
spacebaby45678 wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:Myth 101

Wonder Woman - Diana
American Gods - Shadow Moon
Game of Thrones - Jon Snow
Star Wars - Rey

What do they all have in common? Is a single one of these protagonists just no one? With Diana her mystery parentage is answered within the first movie. I figured out Shadow Moon's father after the second episode. Something happens to Shadow that happened to his father making a direct link...

@spacebaby45678

They all have a very powerful bloodline but they're not defined by it. They're good people in the core whether Jon, Rey or Diana. All of them protagonists and starting as not really nobody, but slowly progressing to their epic journey. Jon Snow's parentage is not really a secret or not it ever was that much. If you read the books, you'll notice details and this past season pretty much confirmed that theory.
@DarthRen

Jon Snow does not know his own real parentage - does not know either of his real parents - he is royalty
Diana does not know her own real parentage - She does not know that she has a father or whom he may be - she is a  demi god
Shadow does not know his own real parentage  - he does not know he has a father or whom he may be - he is a demi god
Rey?

The point being there is a way that Myth is done the hero/protagonist own lineage is kept from them. These things are allegories a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one. The point of these stories is not that Rey protaganist is to be defined by her heritage be it good or bad,  but that each of us through Rey/protaganist we discover that we too are indeed hero/royalty/demi god or a wizard in the case of Harry Potter... not literally but metaphorically.  Joseph Campbell 101

To qoute the bible

Luke 17:20 -21

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
@spacebaby45678

So the rumours of that reddit leak that Rey is is the reincarantion of the first Force user might have some credibility or something of that extent. Rey must be pretty powerful Force user, might be the most powerful one yet.

In this case Jon, what really makes him special. Not even his blood, but the way he is as a person. Just because he is royalty and btw its not even sure because rhaegar was married at that time, Jon is Jon and it's because of the way he was being raised. His discovery of Targaryensgenes won't make him any different. He is an eager hero from from the beginning.

@DarthRen

Funny but part of the John The Baptist motif is that people/disciples thought he was the reincarnation of the prophet Elijah.. lol but no Rey is not going to be a reincarnation again that is not the point of a hero's journey.  It is meant to be a participatory metaphor that the audience engages in and to find our own true soul and dharma/bliss. That is why we tell children fairy tales.

Look, interpretation of fiction and fictional characters is always open for interpretation and yours is as valid as any  but , part of the trope of hidden Royalty is to be raised in a lower state in the case of Jon he is a bastard and not treated as equal with his "siblings" this is to show that the hidden hero has "character" or as they say in Arthur a "king born" and they will be able to handle the responsibility of their future state. So one has to ask oneself what came first his character or his circumstances?

King Arthur Legend of the Sword is a classical example.. His Uncle tells him, despite being left for dead and raised in a brothel his blood/character has shown through... despite everything he has collected riches and become a leader of men, Arthur's true natural state

It is all here in the trailer, honestly I am sorry this movie failed at the box office I thought it was pretty damn good.

@mrs ben solo

No point in holding Rey's parentage/identity just to make a spiritual connection to Obi Wan, that is in fact NOT the structure of myth/hero's journey. Just another girl's parents could have easily been shown in the forceback in TFA.

Of course finding out one's true parentage and the circumstances of ones birth is will knock Jon back but he won't stay knocked back permanently this is only temporary he is not going to become an evil King or anything like that.

Joseph Campbell

“Furthermore, we have not even to risk the adventure alone; for the heroes of all time have one before us, the labyrinth is fully known; we have only to follow the thread of the hero-path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.”

Joseph Campbell

“I always feel uncomfortable when people speak about ordinary mortals because I’ve never met an ordinary man, woman or child.”

Joseph Campbell

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Wed 7 Jun - 8:14; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rey Kenobi Files

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 7 Jun - 8:11

So Rey being related to Kenobi or some unknown royalty should not define who she is and not affect her deeply  but if she is from darkside parentage that will define who she is and her affect her deeply? No No

no.. Rey's purpose in this story is not to be a contrast to Kylo. In other words because he is letting his relation to Darth Vader define him; ( or at the moment the audience is led to believe that is what he is doing) Therefore, Rey is a nobody to show us the audience that a nobody can be a hero too.  Or that Kylo was raised with good loving parents and look how he turned out ( bad seed)  and Rey was an orphan/indentured servant and despite that she is a great person.  Ahh... but Kylo has been affected by his darkside potential from a very young age, before he knew that he was related to Darth Vader.  Han Solo - "He has too much Vader in him." So HERITAGE does matter! Blood does matter! According to TFA. So that begs the question who is Rey?

Rey's purpose is her own hero's journey and her own personal struggle to fulfill her own destiny. However that relates to her ancestors and who she may be.

Joseph Campbell

“Shakespeare said that art is a mirror held up to nature. And that’s what it is. The nature is your nature, and all of these wonderful poetic images of mythology are referring to something in you. When your mind is trapped by the image out there so that you never make the reference to yourself, you have misread the image.”

When your mind is trapped by the image out there so that you never make the reference to yourself, you have misread the image.”  Help

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Wed 7 Jun - 12:21; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 7 Jun - 9:05

Exhibit A.

Perfect example of a myth/story in action and it's effect/catharsis on the audience. Does Wonder Woman need to be nobody to produce this effect?

The scene: A besieged town on the Western Front during World War I. German soldiers are holding strong, and out of the shadows comes Diana Prince, deflecting bullets with her gauntlets and shield, bursting through walls and taking down every enemy in her way as her theme song swells menacingly amid the action. The reality: Me, sitting in a dark theater, enjoying every second of this alternate reality with very real yet seemingly inexplicable tears streaming down my face. It seemed kind of insane in the moment, but it's not just me. Lots of women are crying during Wonder Woman fight scenes.

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-women-are-crying-during-wonder-woman-fight-scenes-62261?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=feminismbustle&utm_term=share
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 7 Jun - 12:01

Rey defeats Kylo in their first encounter. Hero defeats villain right off the bat.

Obi Wan defeats Maul in their first encounter. Hero defeats villain right off the bat.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 7 Jun - 14:54

spacebaby45678 wrote:Exhibit A.

Perfect example of a myth/story in action and it's effect/catharsis on the audience. Does Wonder Woman need to be nobody to produce this effect?

The scene: A besieged town on the Western Front during World War I. German soldiers are holding strong, and out of the shadows comes Diana Prince, deflecting bullets with her gauntlets and shield, bursting through walls and taking down every enemy in her way as her theme song swells menacingly amid the action. The reality: Me, sitting in a dark theater, enjoying every second of this alternate reality with very real yet seemingly inexplicable tears streaming down my face. It seemed kind of insane in the moment, but it's not just me. Lots of women are crying during Wonder Woman fight scenes.

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-women-are-crying-during-wonder-woman-fight-scenes-62261?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=feminismbustle&utm_term=share
@spacebaby45678

I don't know how many times I've watched TFA now, but I still get goosebumps and tear up every time Rey catches the lightsaber in the snow. The Force theme, the look on Ren's face, gah!
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 7 Jun - 15:52

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
I don't know how many times I've watched TFA now, but I still get goosebumps and tear up every time Rey catches the lightsaber in the snow. The Force theme, the look on Ren's face, gah!
@Cowgirlsamurai

Ren's face really makes the scene. It gives it unexpected extra layer.
Marry me.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Wed 7 Jun - 16:07

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@spacebaby45678

@Cowgirlsamurai

Me too! JW score makes it almost ethereal holy moment
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 7 Jun - 16:15

That's one of the most romantic scenes ever. She catches his saber. He knows she's the one. They cross their sabers. Heaven.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 7 Jun - 16:19

My husband has asked me a few times what my favorite scene is in TFA, and that's always my response. Rey catching that saber and Kylo looking at her if she's the sun and it's his first time seeing it. The snow falling in front of his face is such a beautiful, added touch.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 7 Jun - 16:26

The snow is everything. It emphasizes "alone in their own world" aspect that is recurring motif in their scenes - Takodana forest isolated from the battle raging outside, the interrogation chamber where they read each other's most intimate thoughts, the snowy forest where world is falling apart literally but they don't notice so entranced they are with each other.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 7 Jun - 16:33

@vaderito @spacebaby45678 @IoJovi

Yes, yes, yes! Cinematic perfection  I love you I love how pissed he was at Finn holding the saber, but when it lands in Rey's hands, the awe on his face is like no expression we've seen from him before. It's as close as he gets to smiling.
Cowgirlsamurai
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 7 Jun - 16:34

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@vaderito @spacebaby45678 @IoJovi

Yes, yes, yes! Cinematic perfection  I love you I love how pissed he was at Finn holding the saber, but when it lands in Rey's hands, the awe on his face is like no expression we've seen from him before. It's as close as he gets to smiling.
@Cowgirlsamurai

It's one of better juxtapositions.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Wed 7 Jun - 20:04

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@spacebaby45678

@Cowgirlsamurai

That's my favorite scene too, and I totally love the surprise, the threat, the attraction, all of it.

But for me, damn, when I think of the despair of Obi-wan Kenobi, the hurt after he is forced to fight and defeat his padawan, his partner, his friend, the long years of isolation on Tatooine, waiting, waiting, then facing Vader again without the power to defeat him, submitting to his blade, with the faith that Luke would somehow set things right...

And now, Luke having succeeded in the short term but failed in the long run, the galaxy on the edge of a dark and terrible tyranny, a cold winter, a darkening sky, Han dead, Luke lost, Leia about to be destroyed, a victorious disciple and grandson of Darth Vader pulling the saber to his hand... and then.... suddenly the saber whips around him and into the hand of Kenobi, who puts her foot down and says "No, this isn't over. The darkness inside you has NOT won."

Tears and chills.

fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Thu 8 Jun - 16:32

Gemini wrote:Does anyone have that tweet from Pablo whee he basically  says that force ghosts are not all knowing beings..

They are not all knowing, so he doesn't just know who rey is because he knows everything now.
It would mean that he actually knows who she is somehow, "Rey, these are your first steps"

I repeat

Obi wan kenobi is the only person in tfa who knows Rey without having to probe
@Gemini

Yep. And I can't remember if I mentioned it in this forum or elsewhere but Anakin, Padme, Palpatine, Yoda and Luke all say the word "afraid" in previous Star Wars movies, but they chose to get the "Rey" sound from AG's Obi-Wan. If Rey is a random force sensitive then why not get it from Yoda? If Rey is a Skywalker then why not Luke? And if JJ intended it as a misdirect then what's all this talk of his mystery box? It would be more of a deception box, and where is the intrigue in that?
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Fri 9 Jun - 10:34

It was already revealed in the Ahsoka novel that Sith lightsabers are red due to a the kyber crystal inside being made to “bleed” when a Sith exerts his control over it. The comic goes into more detail, with Palpatine saying that Sith lightsaber blades are indeed colored by their crystals, just as Jedi blades are. But since the Sith don’t manufacture these kyber crystals, nor do they excavate them from natural sources. Sith steal their kyber crystals from the lightsabers of Jedi. After a crystal is extracted, the Sith who stole it pours all of his or her pain and rage into the crystal, effectively torturing the living force within the kyber crystal, causing it to “bleed,” turning it red

http://screenrant.com/darth-vader-comic-steal-red-lightsaber-bleed/

Which begs the question what did Darth Do with Obi Wan's

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/36/590x/obiwandarthvader-
770543.jpg

Which would totally explain why Kylo & KOR are saber hunting... did they ONLY look for Anakin's then eventually loosing it to Maz? Or did they look for others? Kylo steal Luke's does he have Obi Wan's?

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry on Fri 9 Jun - 14:51

spacebaby45678 wrote:[i]

Which begs the question what did Darth Do with Obi Wan's

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/36/590x/obiwandarthvader-
770543.jpg

Which would totally explain why Kylo & KOR are saber hunting... did they ONLY look for Anakin's then eventually loosing it to Maz? Or did they look for others? Kylo steal Luke's does he have Obi Wan's?
@spacebaby45678

I've often thought about this - In order for the saber to have survived the destruction of the Death Star, Vader would have had to pick it up. He then would have had to keep it on his person when he went into his personal fighter.

That reminds me though - this is an amazing moment. Vader slices into him, expecting to see the person that confined him to the suit sliced in half die before him. But instead, he gets a completely different thing. You can see he's puzzled because he's poking around with his boot.... where did his body go? I've often thought this could really be the beginning of Vader's redemption - the thing that knocks him out of his cycle of hate and darkness.

We don't see him pick up the saber but if I had to guess, I'd guess that he would. I could see that if he later went to his fighter, he might not have had time to drop Obi-wan's saber off in his quarters. I always thought it would have been cooler and more poetic in ROTJ if Vader had pulled out that lightsaber and sliced Palpatine in half vertically from bottom to top with it.... that's the way my headcanon goes. If THAT were the case, we'd know it ended up with Luke.

But yeah, definitely, it's not a stretch to say that lightsaber survived the destruction of Death Star I. After that, it may have found itself stored away in Vader's lair on Mustafar.

fuhry
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Sat 10 Jun - 2:11

One thing I wonder, whether she's a Kenobi or not ..... if the rumors are true about her refusing Luke's order to kill Kylo, does she do the same thing as Obi-Wan? And what does Kylo do then? Does he throw a tantrum because she won't fight (and he doesn't want to fight her?

Kylo Men
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua on Sat 10 Jun - 2:40

That Rey's Battlefront II abilities have to do with her mind reminds me of Obi-Wan whose strengths were also quite mental, not just his mind tricks, but his mental focus and clarity and use of cleverness. Anakin was more about his power, strength, etc. Obi-Wan focused on out-thinking his opponents a bit more imo.

Of Rey and Kylo, Rey is more of the thinker (mental/cerebral). Kylo is more instinctive. Rey is clear-headed while Kylo's mind is kind of a mess. Rey's thoughts can spin up worry and anxiety, but Kylo is emotionally volatile and unstable (a storm). Rey's rage seems more focused like a blade. Kylo's is an explosion.
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 11 Jun - 0:32

I will put this here, I don't think that the image is very clear but it is enough to make you go mmmm Confus

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 11 Jun - 0:35

I think this is just a fuzzy pic of Anakin's saber.. to soon to tell.
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 on Sun 11 Jun - 1:19

spacebaby45678 wrote:I think this is just a fuzzy pic of Anakin's saber.. to soon to tell.
@spacebaby45678

https://twitter.com/bigdeal2187/status/873708262335672323

Source/credit: https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/873629067215548416

Could just be that EA made a mistake. (But I hope it's Obi-Wan's!!!)
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 11 Jun - 2:52

BigDeal2187 wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:I think this is just a fuzzy pic of Anakin's saber.. to soon to tell.
@spacebaby45678

https://twitter.com/bigdeal2187/status/873708262335672323

Source/credit: https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/873629067215548416

Could just be that EA made a mistake. (But I hope it's Obi-Wan's!!!)
@BigDeal2187

Wow! I did not catch that... but it looks like Obi Wan's ... It is blue so it can't be Luke's green one.. INTERESTING!

spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sun 11 Jun - 3:22

Alpha build or not, this is a hella mistake to make... affraid I hope the person that let this slip is young and single with no children to feed. Cool

Source
https://reylocharms.tumblr.com/post/161671203868/i-cant-breathe
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Sun 11 Jun - 4:23

I sit impartially on the fence of Reynobi, but what I'm very excited about is the possibility of Ben getting the generational lightsaber back during TLJ. How exciting would it be for both to end the film wielding the sabers of their lineage?
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore on Sun 11 Jun - 6:25

spacebaby45678 wrote:

Alpha build or not, this is a hella mistake to make... affraid  I hope the person that let this slip is young and single with no children to feed.  Cool

Source
https://reylocharms.tumblr.com/post/161671203868/i-cant-breathe
@spacebaby45678

Wow! This revelation is so exciting. I'm hoping it's not a mistake. I will cry tears of joy when she holds grandpa Kenobi's light saber for the first time in TLJ. It will be her first true connection to her past.  I love you

LOL! Yes, let's hope whoever leaked this image covered their tracks well. Otherwise, they just burned their future career prospects.
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum